Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra - First Impressions

Comments

• metalphoenix79metalphoenix79 Member Posts: 28
    GM will be releasing a 6-speed for the MY08 or MY09. The large SUVs and trucks will be receiving them first.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    GM isn't ignoring them, its basically a matter of economics and volume. GM couldn't get the production of the six speed auto tranny to the volumes needed in time. The 2007 Silverado/Sierra release was pulled in 13 weeks. Bob Lutz admits that if they didn't have segment leading mileage with the 2007's they wouldn't be able to get away with using the 4 speed.
    Typically GM has been a technology innovator and leader. They introduced the automatic with torque converter in the late 40's(Buick) and I believe was one of the first to introduce the locking torque converter on its automatics - sort of like a "5th" gear. The big shots at GM also did ignore/misjudge the "marketing value"/perception of technology leadership some of the evolutions/innovations might bring. They had the technology, but chose to not implement it on volume vehicle lines.
    The last I looked for 2007 Ford only has a 4 spd. auto, Dodge has a 5 spd. but it is optional depending on models, Nissan & Toyota introduced 5 speeds to try an match the performance of the others and they have much lower volumes and charge more $.
    Is having a 5/6 speed auto tranny necessary? What are the advantages/disadvantages? There is also the comparison of cost to performance. A 5 speed or 6 speed tranny will cost more than a comparable 4 speed to make. If the 5 spd/6 spd gives better performance, mileage, etc... it makes sense. If it doesn't its just more $. A 6 speed in a truck can also be aggravating if the gear matching and shift programs aren't done well. The more speeds the more the tranny may shift up/down under load/speed conditions.
    I like not to confuse hype/perception with reality/application. An example is a Pontiac Grand Prix I had and my neighbor had a Camry. Both had V6's (3.8 in mine and 3.0 in his). My GP had the 4 speed auto and his Camry the 5 speed auto. The GP seemed a little quicker and got better mileage(and cost less). Yes, we were different drivers, but the best hwy mileage he ever got using cruise and the speed limit was 29mpg. I consistently got 30-32mpg. So, the 5 speed tranny wouldn't have given the GP any advantage.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Agree with ya pa, but most people want the latest and greatest technology. I suppose I'm very much one of them. ;) I however do see your point. :)

Rocky
  • mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Stopped by a local dealership. I looked at 5 new silverados. Didn't have time to test drive though. They were nice. Testefully done, and fit and finnish seemed very good. They were all crammed in in the back of the lot, so I couldn't really stand back and compare them exterior wise to the last generation trucks though. 4 of the 5 stickered at over $40k, and were decked out crew cab 4x4s.. The other one was at $32k, with the more work truck type interior. Overall, nice, but I'll wait for the incentives to show up....
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    What about a 5 speed manual for those of us who are not too lazy to shift gears and actually enjoy doing so if the shifter and clutch are well designed?
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    The fit and finish may seem good but only time will tell. Traditionally, nearly all newly redesigned vehicles have initial issues that often prove very annoying to the owner.

I also think that buying one of these trucks right now is not the best idea. You can get a fully loaded '06 Duramax 2500 4X4 crew cab for thousands less than you will pay for an '07 1/2 ton 4X4 LTZ crew cab.
    p100,

I know I wished they offered it pal. A 6-speed Allisson manual is sitting on the parts shelf. It unfortunately is only available for the 3/4-ton and bigger trucks. :sick:

Rocky
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Have you recently bought a new Chevy Silverado, Dodge Ram or GMC Sierra? If so, a reporter would like to talk with you. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, November 10, 2006 with your daytime phone number and the make/model you selected.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• d_sandersd_sanders Member Posts: 8
    I bought a brand new 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab 4x4 in May 2006. I truly love my new truck, but I just got a chance to look over a new 2007 Silverado and I know that I should have waited! I absolutely feel that this new truck is going to set the standard for the next 5 years. Even with the new Tundra (which from pictures doesn't even come close to looking as good as the new Chevy)coming out. Is Toyota going to have heavy duty trucks?

I think an American truck buyer that is given the choice of a toyota and a chevy will pick the Chevy. The only ones who don't will be the ones who think America is the cause of all the worlds problems, and they need to move to France anyway!

This new truck will blow you away! Two all new Interiors with materials and fit and finish that are world class. The body with stamped panels for increased strength and a fully boxed frame that is 230% stronger than last years! On top of everything, class leading engines that get the best fuel economy of any fullsize truck, which they were doing already on the 2006 model truck that I bought!

All-in-all I think GM has once again set the standard and everyone else will follow for the next 5 years (at least). I truly believe that this truck will single handedly pull GM back into the black and dominate once again.
    The HD Tundra's have been delayed perhaps up to a few years because of getting available engines is what I heard. I tried telling some members of my family to wait and now they kick themselves. :)

Rocky
  • bigshotbigshot Member Posts: 2
    I looked at few Silverados at the dealer yesturday, it looks like GM did a good job on this one. The interior is vastly improved, and fit and finish looks good. I currently own a Titan which I am very happy with, but I am looking to upgrade to four full size doors and four wheel drive. I had two Dodges before the Titan and won't buy another one, the only thing I like about the Ford is the Interior and the new Tundra is Fugly looking. I am between another Titan and the new Chevy truck, I just have to drive one first.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a local newspaper is hoping to talk with consumers who have just purchased a 2007 Chevy Silverado, Chevy Avalanche or GMC Sierra. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 1, 2006 with your daytime contact info.
  • dmac63dmac63 Member Posts: 1
    :) Hi, We just got our first New 2007 Sierra at the dealership, WOW what a great Truck. It is bigger looking than the 800 platform and drives out as well, if not better than the 07 Yukons. GM has a winner with this Truck.
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    I think the trucks are OK but NOT worth the extra $4K or so to actually buy one. Minor improvements at best IMHO. I don't know what all the fuss is about. Other than GM is trying to "snowjob" people into believing the 900's are a quantum leap vs the 800's.
  • scottlscottl Member Posts: 109
    40K, and it has a 4 speed automatic (with NO manual available), and DRUM brakes?

I've owned 1990 and 2000 4x4 1/2 tons. They will be the last Chevys I ever own. I'm saying goodbye to warped rotors, fuel pumps that are guaranteed to fail, and power steering pumps that go every 100K miles like clockwork.

Drum brakes? Are you kidding? No manual transmissions AT ALL? A 4 speed auto when others have 5 or 6?

Bankruptcy. Five years at most.
  • d_sandersd_sanders Member Posts: 8
    Sounds like you had pretty good luck with Chevy... bought one in 1990 and lasted till you bought another in 2000? I am not sure where you are getting your information though, the crew cab comes standard with an automatic transmission, but the regular and extended cabs come with a 5 speed manual as standard equipment.

As far as drum brakes in the rear... unless you live in an area that doesn't get snow, ice, and mud, the drum brakes help protect the rear brakes and tend to last longer than disc brakes (plus no warped rotors). In areas that have snow, ice, dirt, mud, etc. the rear disc brakes tended to get full of this debris and caused problems. So unless you live and drive only on pavement, the rear drums make more sense.

As far as the 4 speed automatic, GM will probably be coming out with them in the next year or two. Then they might be getting up to 22 miles per gallon? The only reason that the competition is coming out with 5 and 6 speed automatic transmissions is to try and keep up with GM trucks in the fuel mileage category. Which I might add they fall short, very short. Even with a 4 speed automatic transmission, the Silverado is about 2 miles per gallon better than the closest competition... and that is with a more powerful engine!.
  • bumperdudebumperdude Member Posts: 19
    I bought a 07 "new body" silverado. 6.0 4dr. 4X4 LTZ. This truck feels like dream but is no sissy about pulling. Everything on the dash is clear. no wind noise. seats feel great. Arm rest is in the right place as well as the console. clean lines. IF Toyota is going to beat it they better eat their veggies.
  • iglooheatiglooheat Member Posts: 32
    Sometimes the little things can really be annoying ... why are the front seat belts in the 07's anchored in the ceiling instead of at the top of the seat (as in my 05 Envoy)? My '97 f-150 extended cab had seatbelts anchored in the ceiling and they were always in the way when putting things (carseats and the kids that go in them) in. Why would GM go backward on this??
  • robert73robert73 Member Posts: 4
    Our new EL is like that. It has them for all three rows. But they really don't bother me. They actually give me more room than normal seatbelts and when you're 5'11" you need all the room you can get!
  • robert73robert73 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry a part of my post wouldn't work

It should read,"when you're 5'11", and forced to the third row you need all the room you can get!"
  • iglooheatiglooheat Member Posts: 32
    thanks...my point is that in an extended cab where the rear doors are hinged on the back (next to the bed), why would you want a seatbelt going to the cieling and in your way even when you fold the front seat forward. The seatbelt that is integrated into the seat itself, as in today's f-150, makes much more sense.
    Does anyone have any factual details on the specifics of the GMC Sierra Denali yet ? Does anyone know when we can expect to be able to build one on the GMC site ?

I wished GM, would of allowed us to select the ventilated seats and Bose 5.1 option boxes off the Escalade to make the perfect pick-up. :(

Regardless its still a very nice pick-up but just not perfect because of 2 items missing.

Rocky
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    Does anyone knows the release date ???
    Lou
  • wtfletcherwtfletcher Member Posts: 9
    I noticed a 5 speed auto trans in a 2007 Yukon-Denali. Why won't they go ahead and put that tranny in the Silverado/Suburban?
    Thanks!
    Is Chevy going to offer a 5 or 6 speed auto trans in their Silverado? If so, when?
    I noticed a 5 (or maybe 6) speed auto in a 2007 Yukon Denali but all of their trucks do not offer it.
    I checked the Chevy dealer and I didn't see a 5 or 6 speed auto in the Suburban, Tahoe or Silverado.

I'm waiting until they offer the new trans before I purchase one.
    From Chevrolet.
    Thank you for contacting Chevrolet and your interest in the Silverado! We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Unfortunately, the half-ton 2007 Chevrolet Silverado will not offer a 6-speed transmission. From time to time mid-cycle changes and additions are made to vehicles, but at this time, there have been no announcements regarding a 6-speed transmission in the half-ton pickups. However, the 2007 2500HD and 3500HD will offer a heavy-duty 6-speed automatic and an Allison 1000 6-Speed automatic with OD. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

For more information on the 2007 Chevrolet Silverado, please visit www.chevrolet.com or contact your local dealership to schedule a test drive. If you are not familiar with the dealers in your area, an easy way to find one is by using the dealer locater web tool at www.chevrolet.com.
  • readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    Because they want to put a six-speed in.
    The six-speeds will be going in as soon as they are fully ramped-up in production.

By the way, I think they look much better in real-life pictures.
    I cannot wait for the hybrids.
    What do you think about the hybrids?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

• bobberinobobberino Member Posts: 4
    I am thinking about ordering a new 2007 Silverado, Ext. Cab, 2WD. I am extremeley nervous about the 5.3 with A.F.M. I seem to recall a similar experiment with this technology in the 80's?? Don't think it went over to well. I 'd prefer the 4.8ltr motor but it is not an option on the 2LT. Only with the 1LT. I understand this 5.3ltr has been used
    since 2005-2006 in Tahoes/Caddies??????Any problems ?I haven't been able to find too much info. on this subject. I am worried about long term problems down the road. I cant believe GM doesn't offer a regular 5.3 without A.F.M. as an option. Any thoughts??

Thanks

Bobberino
    Man the GMT-900 Sierra Denali is drop dead gorgeous. I only wished they would make ventilated seats and the Bose 5.1 available as options. :cry:

I along with those 2 requests also requested tonight via phone call once again to GMC to make a 3/4 ton version of the Sierra Denali so I could get a Duramax Diesel :shades:

Rocky
  • likefire1likefire1 Member Posts: 1
    I’ve been reading all over the internet that the Sierra Denali will have a 6 speed transmission and the same engine as the Escalade with 405 ponies. This is my ultimate truck I will be getting one if the test drive goes well and the wife is happy with it. For those who don’t know yet this truck comes out in March of ‘07
    405 Horsepower ???? I've seen 400 hp and 417 lbs of Tq. I hope you are right. ;)

The Sierra Denali will have a 6-speed automatic transmission and yes the engine is the same new 6.2 VVT V8 found in the Escalade. My wife wants to buy a Truck or a SUV as our next car while I want to buy a 2008' Cadillac CTS or 09' CTS-V. I might cave in and wait for the 2008' Sierra Denali hybrid and buy that. I however would like to see if GM. is going to make a Duramax Sierra Denali for the 3/4 ton. ;)

Rocky
    It would take me a long time to tell you why the Cadillac version failed and this one works fine.
    I will ask you though:

That was well nigh twenty years ago. When will you let go of old stereotypes?

Back then there was nothing like the internet and very few people had personal computers.
    Back then, cell phones came with a large carrying bag remember?

You'll be just fine.
    And for added security, you have a 100,000 mile warranty.
    readerreader,

Thank-you, I couldn't of said it better myself. ;)

Rocky

P.S. I was told in the ELLPS forum that I didn't have a job and should only give opinions on Bikes and Bigwheels :surprise: It's amazing how cold some people can be torwards someone who likes and defends domestic cars. :sick:
  • bobberinobobberino Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the input, RR you have a point. But, are you driving the 5.3 A.F.M. now??
    Do you like how it switches from 4 to 8 cyl. I am just thinking that sticking with what works and is proven(4.8ltr) is better than this newer motor that is essentially unproven
    over the long haul. I only tow a small boat so I don't need mega power. Hell, my old 94
    4.3V6 has only 160 HP and it was OK for what I Needed (a bit underpowered I admit).
    But its still kicking with 164,000 with an iffy tranny.

GM obviously has alot of confidence with it to make it standard on some trucks???
    5.3 A.F.M. is the clear way I'd go. You get more power and better fuel economy. I haven't heard of any major problems with the AFM system. Some have said it wouldn't kick in all the time but road and weather conditions do play a role in that also. I would assume if GM, found any bugs they would of been worked out by this year. ;)

Rocky
    readerreader,

I would like to know where you found or took these pictures at ????? What autoshow is this ?????

Thanx,

Rocky

P.S. If you happen to find any more cool pictures like these of the 07' GMC Sierra Denali please post them or send me a e-mail of them....wow :shades:
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    The choice of engines, trim levels, etc. is dizzying and somewhat confusing. Note that there are two different rear diffs. avail. With the Z71 Off Road package it comes with a "heavy duty" locker. I thought this was the 9.5" rearend. No! The standard "heavy duty" rear diff. is a 8.5" unit. However, after researching it further I found out the 9.5" extra heavy duty (AXN) unit is only avail. with the 6.0L engine (L76 pkg.). If you want the 9.5" HD rearend you must order the 6.0L eng. in the L76 pkg. Also, with the L76 pkg. the rear brakes are antilock discs (JD9 code) when StabiliTrack is ordered, as opposed to the standard rear drums. The M70 Super Duty 4-sp. auto trans. is also incl. with the L76 pkg. as opposed to the M65 trans. with the 5.3L eng.

Also incl. with the L76 pkg. are external auxiliary engine oil and transmission oil coolers. I think this is a good idea and long overdue. Oil is the lifeblood of engines and transmissions. Keeping it cool will help performance and longevity.

So, the L76 pkg. has several goodies besides the bigger motor. A good deal if you need these items, the L76 pkg. is $1,095 MSRP/$908 Invoice.

You cannot learn these various quirks on the internet sites. They are only clear on the proprietary and very detailed software that the Chevy dealer has.
    GM, needs to make these options more clear because even I didn't know their was such a difference and I live and breathe GM automobiles. ;)

Rocky
    Motor Trends truck of the year is *shockingly* our country's truck the 2007' Chevy Silverado :D

Rocky
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    Here's the scoop on the rear seats. I've looked at, and sat in, the rear seats of the F-150, Titan, and Silverado. None of them are what I'd consider extremely comfortable for long trips. The reason? Because the rear wall of the cab does not allow the seat back to be reclined as much as I like. The rear seat bottoms on all three are more like a bench seat than a bucket - flatter and harder. I'm 6'3"/225 lbs. - larger than average. With the Silverado front seat all the way back, I still have about 2" of clearance between my knees and the front seat, which is adequate. It is highly unlikely that I will be carrying anyone larger than me in the rear seats. The front bucket seats on the Titan and Silverado are about tied for comfort (very comfortable), with a slight edge going to the Chevy. And the F-150? Even the front seat feels like a picnic bench - a distant 3rd to the Nissan and Chevy. And, with the Chevy, the rear seat folds up easily, revealing a nice big flat surface for stowing an ice box and lots of other gear. So, as far as seating (front + rear) is concerned the Chevy wins.
    I can't wait to see the details on the new GMC Sierra Denali

Rocky
  • overtovert Member Posts: 4
    Great looking pictures. I will be picking up my 2007 Silverado next week. Its a Dark Blue Metallic Ext cab with the Z-71 LT package. This well be my 10th Chevy pickup and have had very little problems with them. My current truck is a 2004 Ext Z-71 and it has been an absolutely perfect vehicle to drive. I can't say enough positive things about this truck line.
    Coooool, best of luck with it and let us know how you like it. :)

Rocky
  • johnmajorjohnmajor Member Posts: 94
    Just got my order confirmed. Be interesting to see if it gets delivered in March or earlier?
  • chrmdomechrmdome Member Posts: 107
    Guys:

Ordered a 2007 LT2/ 6.0 ltr Silverado last Thursday. Should take 10 to 12 weeks to receive. Since I will be towing a 5300 pound airstream, I needed the extra HP and the heavy duty trailering equipt/ package. To find a 6.0 ltr with the options that I wanted on the truck would have been nearlt impossible here in San Diego. Every 6.0 ltr on the internet seems to be white or black and under optioned. I went with blue granite metalic. Hope it doesn't show the dirt. Anyway when I get the truck I will post my opinion especially about the towing capabilities. I may have paid $500.00 more than I should have but I am okay with that when I order a vehicle " custo " ....367 hp, ya that will be enough.....

Chromedome
    Congrats and I think you made a great decision :) ......Got a question do you know if the new Sierra Denali will have the Bose 5.1 option ????

Rocky

P.S. I wouldn't expect before March based on what I know and have spoken to people from GMC's customer service reps.....
  • tkeeler79tkeeler79 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I just bought a used 1500 LT. It is a really nice truck, however as I was following my wife home (she was driving the truck) I noticed that the left rear wheel did not line up with the left front wheel. The right side looks good! What is the problem here? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.