Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra - First Impressions

navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Well, if you read the most recent Edmunds or Car and Driver full size truck comparison test you would know that the Chevrolet Silverado finished dead last. It's not such a bad truck but age is apparently what hurt it. The Silverado/Sierra were introduced in 1999 as year 2000 models I believe.

Right now what's killing the Silverado/Sierra is an outdated design, a dull and cheap looking interior and a mediocre engine. GM is redesigning these trucks to keep up with competitors. In the fullsize segment, the Ram recieved a face lift and a few changes for 2006 and Toyota is already working on the next Tundra.

What'd I'd like to see on the new Silverado/Sierra is some seriously aggressive styling, a stylish, high quality interior, engine power & refinement as well as seat comfort. If the Silverado/Sierra can do this, then I'd say they're back in the game.

It is reported that the new Silverado/Sierra will have Displacment on Demand (DoD) found on the Impala. This will lead to better fuel economy in the age of high gas prices.

It is also reported that GM is going to try to further distinguish the Silverado from the Sierra in terms of styling, interior and options.

Here are the Edmunds links.

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2007/chevrolet/silverado1500/100512125/preview.html

http://www.edmunds.com/future/2007/gmc/sierra1500/100512135/preview.html

Comments

• xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    It needs the following:

4.2 liter I-6 from the Trailblazer

fully-boxed frame

and the stuff you mentioned
  • cstate25cstate25 Member Posts: 1
    i hear the 2007 chevy silverado's are getting new engines, can anyone tell me what they are getting put in them?
  • nargnarg Member Posts: 112
    Those articles state that GM is "falling behind" in trucks. I find that humorous because if you check the features of the latest Dodge and Ford trucks, they now finally include the features that GM brought to the table in '99. So who's falling behind? GM also already has a full size hybrid, which the other two as well as Toyota don't have. And, GM is working on providing other features next year that the others have not even started talking about.

GM behind? I think Edmunds is behind in its research.
  • nargnarg Member Posts: 112

Am I good or what? :)
  • gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    ..... they can keep it because I'm not interested. I've been driving GM vehicles for 28 years, but the newer ones just don't cut it. GM builds poorly designed, poor quality products and then they leave the customer holding the bag when problems show up and tell you how "sorry" they are. Well I'm sorry too, but I'm tired of fixing their screw-ups.... no more. Good luck GM! Maybe you'll still be around ten years from now.... maybe not. Professional Grade? Professional Grade Junk is more like it.... just like your bond rating. :sick:
  • woofwoof Member Posts: 27
    ...is a 2005 Silverado. Thus far, so good. It's replacing my Toyota Truck which I still have and really like. After shopping and test-driving the Tundra, Dodge and F-150, conclusions were reached. The Dodge was OK, but I did not like the overall style and the gas mileage was pretty poor. The F150 was a joy to drive. It would have been my first choice had the gas mileage been better. It also was actually too big and heavy--the engine seemed to have to work pretty hard to move it. The Tundra was fine--a good replacement for my T100--but the price was too steep. The Chevy, with the 4.8L V8, had the best gas mileage of the pack, good build quality. Interior? Spartan but very comfortable and functional. Hey, I'm buying a truck, not a luxury car. Ride and handling were acceptable, not as good as the F150, but not bad. Possibly better tires and Bilstein shocks will improve this. The pushrod V8 appears to be an efficient and proven design. While I'm used to high tech overhead cam engines, the proven pushrod engine does provide better efficiency with less moving parts/less friction. Finally, with the GM discount, rebate and credit from using my GM Visa card, the price was so low... seems like great value. I expect (hope?) that I'll be pleased after 5 years of ownership.
    Not trying to burst your bubble, but don't be surprised when all the quality problems start showing up....and they will. Good luck with your new truck!
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Did you drive a Nissan Titan before buying your Silverado? They say it is an excellent truck, except the visibility is poor.
  • betochevybetochevy Member Posts: 1
    I THINK YOU GUYS ARE WRONG ABOUT CHEVY.SILVERADO 2007 WIIL PROVE YOU GUYS WRONG I"VE ALWAYS LIKED CHEVY AND I THINK WE ALL KNOW WHAT CHEVY IS MADE OF . CHEVY LIKE A ROCK' 2007 WILL BE THE BEST SSELLING YEAR FOR CHEVY DODGE FORD AND TOYOTA WILL BE ONCE AGAIN THE SECOND CHOICE TO BUY A TRUCK IN 2007 .DO YOU GUYS REMEMBER WHAT HAPENNED IN 1999 WHEN CHEVY BROUGHT THE NEW LOOK FOR SILVERADO.... I OWN A 1992 CHEVY SILVERADO AND I HAVENT REPLACED IT FOR NO TRUCK NOW IM THINKING IN REPLACING IT BUT IM STILL WAITING FOR THE 2007 CHEVY TRUCK REMENBER GUYS NEXT TIME YOU GO TO THE GM DEALERSHIP ASK ABOUT INFO ABOUT THE NEW CHEVY "LIKE A ROCK".
    Please turn off your caps lock... there's no need to SHOUT and your post is hard to read in all caps... thanks! ;)

Now back to the topic at hand. Since you own a 1992 chevy, you have not experienced the problems with the NBS trucks. My gently used 1999 GMC Sierra with 40k miles is now sitting in my driveway "like a rock" because I can't drive it due to oil pressure problems. Apparently, GM had some oil pump problems on the '99 & '00 trucks. Do you think GM will fix my truck? Sure, for $800 they'll fix me right up.

Well, I don't have $800 to spare right now, so my truck wil be sitting "like a rock" until I decide what I'm going to do with it. GM doesn't stand behind their products even when there are "known" defects. I guess that's part of the reason GM is in so much trouble right now. Loyal GM owners like me are tired of getting shafted by GM. So please forgive me for not running to my nearest GM dealer to find out what kind of crap they'll be selling in 2007. You better keep your 1992 as long as possible.
    Sorry to hear about your truck problems.

No wonder the imports rule the compact segment, and why the Silverado sits at the bottom of the full size trucks in terms of desirability.
  • medinamedina Member Posts: 3
    The 99- 06 Silverados have been nothing but what Chevrolet advertised them to be from day one. Bigger, Faster, Stronger, Smarter! I have a 1999 Z-71 with 135K miles and I only had to replaced a water pump and the belt. With the factory 4:10's, the 5.3 smoked every true 4x4 truck when I got her. Thats why it was Motor Trends Truck of the Year! Then when the when the Tahoe/ Surburan rolled out the following year based off the Silverado it won again. Not to be out done, the Avalanche garnered another title for the Bow Tie Boys! Yeah its been a while since the last update, but if you think GM isnt making trucks people love, just look at the sales figures in Automotive News or this months issue of Motor Trend. An 8 year old truck is running a close second to the newer Ford and when you combine the GMC sales numbers, GM is on top of the truck market, bar none! Ive added a power chip, headers,exhaust, K&N and a throttle body spacer and I can still smoke the tires off this truck. Ill never get rid of it, but Im looking forward to the 2007 and the mad rush of the other manufactures to copy the Silverado, just like they did after the 1999 rolled out. Peace!
  • clutchdotcomclutchdotcom Member Posts: 3
    i have taken in my truck 3 times for the same problem with no help untill i called GM and complian. they don't stand behind there products.
  • bowtiemanbowtieman Member Posts: 1
    You must not be taking care of your truck very much, because my 99 silverado z71 has about 160,000 miles on it, and I have NEVER had any oil pressure problems on it. In fact the only problems I've had with it, are when the transmission blew out, 4 years after my dad bought it, and I've heard of brand new fords breaking down as the roll out of the dealership parking lot, and also a very minor A/C problem, in which all I had to do was replace the A/C belt. And from what I've heard, the 2007 silverado, will not only have a much bolder design, but the 5.3 with DOD will have about 320 hp, and if they use it, like in the 2007 tahoe, the 6.2 will have about 400 hp, SWEEET!
    So tell me Mr bowtieman, how does an oil pressure problem translate into me not taking care of my truck? So I guess than means that you weren't taking care of your truck when the tranny blew out... sounds kind of stupid doesn't it?

My truck has had regular oil changes using AC Delco filters and Mobil1. The oil pressure issues are not related to any lack of maintenance on my part.

You should learn the facts before you make such statements as "You must not be taking care of your truck very much". You have just been lucky with your truck... not everyone has had the same experience as you. After 28 years, I'm jumping off the GM bandwagon. GM is in dire straights right now and only time will tell if they will survive. In the mean time, my "Professional Grade" GMC truck will be sitting "like a rock" in my driveway until I have time to replace the oil pump.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    GM, has got it right finally after years of frusteration......I say to all, I know people that own all kinds of different cars.....yes even Toyota and they have their problems too.....GM will be better than the rest in 2007' just look at there
    GMT-900 SUV's !......Quality, Fit and Finish, Technology will be the best in the world !......I hope any of you doubters give GM one more chance, and if you guys have problems again then you can dump the General.....We need Americans to buy American Made cars and Trucks in this critical time for are economy. Yes some of the Japaneese cars are made here and feature some parts from American Suppliers......but not as many as GM. Thanx-->rockylee
  • gmrulesgmrules Member Posts: 2
    profesional grade it is , im on my 3rd z71 since 1997 ,these trucks are awesome.
    however i did not spend one dime on any of these during my bumper to bumper
    warranty, not one!!! brand bashing usually occurs when someone has an out of pocket expense after the warranty has run out,regardless of what brand it is. in this case if it were a toyota it would still be sitting like a duck oops a rock. get that truck on the road it deserves better, its given you good service , now return the favor , note : iwill gladly give you 800.00 cash for it. GENERAL MOTORS COMPLETELY FADING OUT , NOT IN YOUR LIFETIME.
  • clarencehollowclarencehollow Member Posts: 60
    I know what you're thinking - BUT - the Nissan Titan is fully boxed, more powerful, better made, better towing capacity (if you even need that), built in America, better warranty and so on ...

If you haven't looked at Nissan - do so because chances are 100% resale value on the TITAN is much stronger than the Chevy or GMC brand. If you got more bang for the buck with the Nissan why not go for it? After all you GM product needs to be given away, and depreciates ...

If making no financial sense is what you desire - Chevy's the truck.

Haven't we learned yet? There is a reason most Americans are poor or one paycheck away from homelessness ....
    All true, yet if you read Inside Line it today they have a story about the Titan/Arrmada/QX56 trucks all being rather unreliable.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    And on top of that, this discussion isn't about the Titan; it's about the Silverado/Sierra. If you want to promote the Titan, this isn't the right discussion.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    Have you actually driven a Titan? I suggest you do and also drive a few of the others. I used an associate's Titan over a weekend and was I very unimpressed by all the Nissan Hype. The kind of bang I remember out of the Titan is so so ride and handling worse than the Dodge. My wallet was real empty after refilling his tank. Mixed driving split close to 50/50 got 14 mpg. It seemed a lot louder than my 99 Sierra or 2001 Denali ever were and even my neighbors Ford 250.

I'm looking forward to the 2007's especially the DOD engines. I've got the new 5.3L DOD V8 in my 2005GXP and I love it. Smooth, powerful and very good mileage when you are cruising.
  • chevyboy1chevyboy1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been disapointed with chevys styling for sometime. I have been loyal to the bowtie for many years. I have an 86 1ton daully. I have yet to ask too much of it. I have had more weight in the bed of that truck than it weighs. I have pulled trees out of the ground with it. I out ran a mercedes towing a 72 chevelle. Fact is that is one heel of a truck but I have two kids now and I need more seating. I will wait for the 2007 but if they screw this up I will be pissed. BUY AMERICAN this country needs all the help it can get!!!!!!!!!
  • kgrant1965kgrant1965 Member Posts: 1
    I hate to burst your bubble but I have owned 2 ford supercrews a dodge ram with a hemi (piece of crap went out at 3000 miles and stayed in the shop for a month! and now own a 2005 chevy crew cab and it is the best vehicle I have ever owned it averages 18 mpg 300 horsepower pulls my 5000 lb travel trailor with ease nad has not had 1 problem in 25000 miles. I bought my wife a nissanm armada and it averaged 13 miles per gallon before I traded it for another suburban that averages 16 miles per gallon.I think chevy is doing a good job with their trucks and the new ones will be even better,best gas milaege good price,whats not to like?
  • woofwoof Member Posts: 27
    This board is about new GMC/Chevy models...
    Yes, I did look at the Titan. Nice truck, poor gas mileage; neither me, my son, or wife liked the styling--and it was actually TOO big. OK, back to Chevy. So far, my '05 Silverado is working great--no problems, never back to the dealer, comfortable and good MPG. (I'll be doing a comparison with my new Tacoma soon.) GM's new truck platform should be a winner with many improvements. GM knows that they can't turn out junk with all the great new trucks on the market.
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    I just hope there are no major recalls in the first year to curb our appetite!

Looks like the powertrain will be there, with up to 400HP, and MILD hybrids are destined to be in the mix. The interior seems to be light years better. :D

If the exterior is milquetoast like the Tahoe, that could be the opening Toyota needs, as they seem to be rather interested in making their trucks more aggressive.

I don't think Toyota will match the 6.2, at least not at first.

Ford best have a nice array of upgraded engines for 2008! :confuse:

DrFill
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    My Silverado is a great truck. It will get about 300- 309 horsepower. I love it. Ive had for about 5 months now so far so good. ( I hope they dont screw up the 2007 model)">
  • chorvathchorvath Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 05 work truck in April. It has exceeded anything I would want for a base truck. I got it for 13,500 with all rebates, discounts, and incentives. With 4.8 V-8, it has way more power than my 5.2 Ram did. Great truck, no problems @ 11,000 miles. Plus it will smoke almost anything I pull up next to, except a 5.3 Chevy.
    Plus I get 19 mpg city and have gotten 24 mpg at steady 73 mph on turnpike.
  • blkbltjkmblkbltjkm Member Posts: 1
    Everyone who talks about the GM going under needs to think. I currently own an 05 GMC Sierra 3500 and you cannot buy a 1 ton truck from Nissan, Toyota, or Honda! Unless those companies soon make those trucks they will never dominate the truck market completely. I have actually driven a Titan, and didn't like it very much, besides the design looks horrible.
  • thereisnospoonthereisnospoon Member Posts: 12
    Why in the world are you promoting the Titan? It has to be one of the biggest pieces of junk out there. Oil filter isn't even 6 inches long, the thing handles POORLY in side to side tests, has a bad crash test rating, and the frame bends like nothing when the rear suspension is being tested at 30mph. Of course, the Silverado does the same thing so I guess comparing the Titan to the Silverado is a good match. At least the Titan's engine cab is at least partially guarded unlike the good ol recall machine (aka Chevy Silverado). Piston slap, oil pressure problems, recalls like crazy - yeah, I'd say Silverado is a GREAT truck. Bowtie boosters, get your head out. F150 is the best truck out there - hands down. Go to http://www.truthabouttrucks.com and you'll see just how your "rugged" Silverado matches up to the rest of the competition. At least it wasn't QUITE as bad as the Titan and Tundra.

and, sorry but if you think that THIS truck looks good:
    http://motortrend.com/future/spied/112_0509_spy_silverado_ps.jpg
    that's the future of your beloved Silverado. even worse than the 06 (both under and over the hood). The technology of this 07 will MAYBE be equal to my 02 F150.
    Yeah right....

You getting 24mpg in a V8 with as crappy a design as ANY of the current Chevy engines is just like me saying that I just filled up my diesel F350 Heavy Duty for 98 cents/gallon.

I really hope you have no problems at 11,000 miles. Just wait - your problems are yet to come. I doubt your truck will be problematic after 50,000 miles. My brother-in-law's 2004 Silverado blew a motor and tranny at 45,000 miles. He's since bought an F150 (which he should have done in the first place) and remarks how it's "so weird" that his wheel doesn't shake when he goes over bumps and holes in his ranch, he can pull more with less effort, and he has a much better ride....hmm?? Wonder why? Could that be because the F150 is 10 years ahead of the current Silverado?????
  • 455powered455powered Member Posts: 1
    This discussion is actually pretty interesting, considering how many flatlanders purchase pickups, drive them on the interstate and to soccer practice, and begin to think they can make a truck comparison. Many folks make a decision after driving one pickup, namely their own. I've lived in some very diverse places in the U.S., and here are my observations on late model pickups.

In Southern California and South Texas, guys buy 2 wheel drive Ford 1/2 tons for their wives because they think they want a pickup, and the price is right. The wife doesn't mind if the 4.6 liter has just enough torque to move it off of a standing start, or just enough traction to stay on wet pavement. The price is right, and Mommy gets a pickup. Best selling? Uh... whatever. :blush:

Here in northern Maine it's a different story, where extreme weather, deep-woods utility use, plow duty, tow duty, winch duty, overloaded beds, farm use, off-road use, and yes, highway travel is the norm, one pickup design is dominant on the market, the Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra pair with the Gen III V8.

It isn't driven for the name, but for what it can do, and what it does.

One guy I know, a crew chief for a major logging company, drove a 2002 Ford Super Duty 4x4 assigned to him for work, 40 miles into the woods each way 6 days a week, loaded. Not only is he forced to apologize for driving a Ford, his boss had to apologize to HIM that the tranny cooked out at 40K miles and he was stuck in the woods. There were so many problems with actually USING the Ford "Super Duty" pickup they replaced them all. All of them. Every one. :lemon:

I'm not even going to go into the also-ran category of 1/2 ton only Nissans and Toyotas. Having owned a 2002 Ford F-250 4x4 with the disturbingly underpowered 5.4 (sold that 'bargain' in a hurry after having looked in the trans pan after 20,000 miles-scary), driven a '04 Dodge Ram Hemi for work at length in all weather and surfaces (what a tinny, front-heavy, loud piece of crap), and going home to my '03 Silverado x-cab Z-71 with the 5.3 Gen III V8, it's good to be home.

It's all about the drivetrain at GM. Power? Tons of it. Torque? From off-idle all the way to the top. Economy? 15 in the woods, 19 on the interstate, mostly loaded. Reliability? The only warranty repair after 50,000 miles was a 4x4 wire I must have hung up working in my woodlot. Comfortable, safe, quiet,... the list goes on. That a 7 year old GM truck design can outsell (combined GMC and Chevy numbers) a fresh Ford F-150 design and a burly-looking but horribly engineered Dodge design is a testament to it's quality and market dominance.

I'll bet the 2007 Silverado/Sierra will be even better, a evolution of a great pickup, with wholly unnecessary but welcome engine improvements.

In a nutshell, don't let some "Weekend Warrior" flatlander spout off about working trucks he knows nothing about. He might be late to his corporate sales meeting. ;)
  • 79customd79customd Member Posts: 87
    Our family currently owns 3 GM trucks. The most recsent being a 2005 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax desiel. I'll let yawll fight on who's got the best gas engine but hands sown the best deisel engine in Chevys Duramax. Pulled a truck across the state a couple months ago, averaged 16.3 mpg pulling close 6500lbs. Can't beat that. running clean at 55 mph you can hit 21 mpg whh for a 6000lb truck ain to bad. I've driven a new F-150 and it is not the truck that it is cracked up to be. Acceleration is moderate but you have to revv that little 5.4L to get it. I beleive it aint the working truck that the Chevy is due to the bed being built for 10 footer. I'm 6'3" and it's all i can do to see over that bed. To lift anything up on the bed you would have to bench press it. A sack of Quick-Crete aint to light if you know what I mean. I buy trucks to work with them. I own a 1979 Chevy C10. Nuthin fancy, but it gets the job done without having to be a body builder. I believe the Titan is a pretty good truck and I beleive it will do good, but it will never rival the Fords, Dodges, or GM trucks in sales
    I hear you talk and talk and talk about the dependability of Chevy. Blah blah blah.

Whatever.

Bottom line: The 2006 doesn't even have 50% of the technology that Ford's 1986 F150 has! If you do a straight line comparison between trucks, you'll see firsthand that the 1976 F150 compares right on par with the 2006 Silverado in the areas that actually count. Am I saying that OnStar and Satellite are worthless? Why yes...yes I am.

The 2006 F150? Well, Chevy hasn't even put a rival to that on paper yet because they keep "redesigning" a vehicle, hoping that people won't realize that they changed 1% of the parts they need to change, and 99% of the pieces that they don't.

Chevy hopes that their ads will make people believe that they're the most dependable trucks. Umm...whatever. Here in Texas, you see F350 Super Duty trucks and F150's on the roads AND the ranches. I admit that the CK trucks are good, but just like Toyota is doing, they're dragging out their dependability just a little bit too far. Too many new "American Revolution" trucks are going down way too fast - do some research and you'll see there are a SLEW of issues with these trucks.

It's rather interesting you mention harsh conditions. I quite distinctly remember when my wife and I were in the hills of Tennessee last December. We rented a 2004 4x4 F150. The snow plow in the town was a 2004 Z71 Silverado and, with CHAINS ON THE TIRES, it couldn't even make it up the mountain to plow the roads that we effortlessly were able to get up and down (without his assistance). When it was snowing and 8 degrees outside, I saw Ford and Dodge trucks on the road.....what does that mean to you???

Face it, Chevrolet has and always will stand for "Cracked Heads, Every Valve Rattles, Oil Leaks, Engine Ticks." If the Silverados perform well in Maine, it's probably because you waste money changing out engines and trannys every 40,000 miles.

The F150 HANDS DOWN is 10 years ahead of any truck on the market and second to none. Honda Ridgeline is second, RAM third, Tundra fourth, Chevy/GMC fifth, and Titan DEAD last.
    Since you're talking about full size trucks, the Ridgeline isn't really one. It's a midsize with a V6. It also has little towing and offroad ability so I'm not sure why you rank all the rest behind it.
  • 79customd79customd Member Posts: 87
    Sure Chevy has put a rival out to the 06 F-150. The Chevy Aveo!! Heck, I'd buy that before I buy this techno Expresso Jumble Bumble F-150 that all yawll drive in Texas,
    But here in Carolina Basic simple and to the point engines are what cuts it. Also, I dont know how tall the average person is up there but we aint 8 feet tall like you have to be to use Fords Deep bed. Like I've said the only reason Ford has out sold Chevy is because if you buy a Chevy, it lasts for 15 years, You'll go thru 12 Fords in that time period. I'm not putting down the F-150, it looks pretty tuff sitting broke down on the side of the road. If thats what yawll call a truck. I'm kinda worried bout ya. ;)
  • massdriver1massdriver1 Member Posts: 20
    This discussion is getting ridiculous. There's NO brand of truck in '86 that "had as much technology" as any other of today's trucks.
    I guess Ford guys have to defend their brand with gross exaggerations.

My buddy has a '97 F-150 (the used bar of soap style), with 100,000 miles. It's been an OK truck, but feels much more worn out than my '01 Silverado HD with the same miles.

And to say thet today's F-150 is ten years ahead of other trucks...

They do have nice interiors and look good. But the finally put in a 300 HP engine at a time when the competition is at about 350 HP. And the truck is so damn heavy, the tests all seem to use words like "sluggish, and "lethargic" to describe it.

But to the topic at hand, if the new trucks are as reliable as my two previous Chevys were/are, then I'm in line for this next one.

Hopefully the host will cut us a little slack with all this Ford/Chevy talk. But the topic is about a truck we know nothing about yet, so all we can do is speculate as of now.
  • el_zorroel_zorro Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GMX Sierra 1500 2WD w/ 4.8L engine. I just turned 188,000 miles on it and have used this truck heavily. I have a tree farm and have hauled 65,000 trees with it, used it on numerous hunting/fishing trips, hauled farm equipment and my boat trailer for at least 50,000 of those miles. The long and short of it is it has been a great truck and a workhorse. I also consistenty get 20+ MPG on the highway even after high miles with no load. For the 1st 118,000 miles I had no unplanned maintenance or replacement parts.
    Here are the only issues I had:
    1.) Replaced transmission at 118,000 miles, park pawl was defective(design flaw). The rebuild has 60,000+ miles on it has a beefed up park pawl and is going strong.
    2.) Replaced fuel pump at 175,000.
    3.) Replaced window regulator at 185,000.
    The brakes on this vehicle were unbelievable. Granted I have mostly highway miles but I got 113,000 on the rears and when I replaced them(both rotors and pads) I did the work myself and they were still in decent shape when I replaced them. I got 150,000 out of the front and the outside pads were almost new the inside pads showed some uneven wear. Compared to problems I had with 4-wheel disk brakes on GM vehicles, this was a dramatic improvement. I was born and raised in a GM family so I am biased. My next truck will be a 2007 GMC Sierra w/5.3L and 4WD.

My opinion is that all of these truck brands (GM,Ford,Toyota) are good except Dodge. I have seen alot of friends with Dodge trucks have major problems at low miles and some of these issues are design flaws that will had not been fixed by Dodge after several years.
  • bowtiefrkbowtiefrk Member Posts: 1
    Well, it sure is great to be on a message board with "real" chevy lovers. Anyway, I have a 1999 silverado 1500 with 160,000 miles. I've only had two problems with it in the past 6+ years, and those are replacing the transmission and brakes, everything else works perfectly, and I have driven this thing hard. Besides Fords have been known to have problems within just a few days after they role off the showroom floor, and I'm not exaggerating, becuase my Dad has been a mechanic for almost 30 years and he agrees with everything I'm saying. I guess I have to say I agree with what you said about the only reason why Fords outsell chevys in that they break down so quickly that you have to keep buying a new one over and over again. Sure Fords were good at one time. like 30 years ago, but not anymore. Anyway, why else would the name it Ford (Found On Road Dead)ha, just kidding. I have some friends who are chevy fans and some who are Ford fags. One of the "Ford fags" was trying to back up the recall claim for the f-150's cruise control being known to catch on fire, by saying, "Yeah so, they have a fix for it anyway." So, I replied and said,"Well, if you had of gotten a chevy in you wouldn't have to worry about that problem in the first place." Besides, what recall has the silverado had recently, a tailgate misfunction? Listen, I've had my truck for over 6 years and my tailgate is in perfect condition, it might be because people load to heavy of objects on the tailgate, or it's just a bunch of fat asses jumping on the tailgate, sorry if I offended anyone out there, until it gives way, and when you look at it, what's worse a truck who's cruise control can catch on fire and cause the whole truck to explode, or a tailgate failure? Exactly, and that's why I only like Chevy's and GMCs. I mean if I had to choose between a brand new Ford f-150, a brand new Dodge Ram Hemi, and a silverado with 12,000 or more miles on it, I would, without even a second thought, go with the chevy, and I know any true chevy fan would do the same thing. My dad did have a 2003 silverado 3/4 ton with the duramax diesel that had over 9,000 miles on it, which is nothing for a diesel, until his idiot nephew totaled the thing. What I can't seem to understand is that some people who own the same trucks as me and my dad have all of these problems, where as I haven't had hardly any problems at all. I mean my Dad has been a mechanic for about 30 years and I have been working with him since I was 9 years old, I'm 17 by the way, and he and I both know it all depends on how good and often you do maintenence on it, how hard you drive it, and the climate and conditions you're experiencing. I had this friend of mine who says that some friend of his had an 04 chevy 3/4 ton with a duramax. He says the guy had numerous problems with his transmisson, and turns out he was using the wrong transmission oil, dumbass. Besides, every one of those trucks in stock form are identical, so any problems are pretty much 85% the owner's fault in my opinion. I even had another Ford [non-permissible content removed] telling me that his dad's truck can beat mine, and mine tops out at over 145 mph w/o the governor of course, enough to keep up with a Ford Lightning. I asked what kind of truck he had, and he said he had a Ford super duty with the Powerstroke. Then I asked him if he done any mods to it, and he said no. So I said to him, " Do you really think your dad's truck, which ways about 1,000 punds more than mine, has less horsepower, mine has about 330 hp, thanks to a flowmaster dual exhaust, is going to beat my truck in a race, and can accelerate from 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds? I don't think so." Anyway, enough about other people's trucks. About my 1999 silverado. I have been wanting to swap out the old 5.3 for a 454 and either a BM turbo 400 or turbo 700 auto tranny, and was wandering if that's even possible, and what would I need to do to my suspension because I want to use an ATI procharger set up. Well, sorry about the long story, and I hope all of you stay true chevy fans, because I know I will, and I will be posting new threads here in the future, peace!!!
  • txpimptxpimp Member Posts: 1
    before I begin, I want to say one thing, when it comes to power and looks, FORD DIESEL SUPER DUTY. But, if you're looking for luxury, the chevy LT (unless you're willing to pay $50k for a king ranch super duty.) I will take the king ranch super duty over a bentley in a heartbeat. why? because you can't do a damn thing in the bentley.

I've always been a ford guy, but when it came time to buy a half ton, i couldn't choose the ford lariat over the chevy LT. For the same amount of money, you get much more with the chevy. the ford is slower, sucks more gas, huge plastic door panels, and way out dated stereo system. Full power seats are not even an option. if you get heated seats, only the bottom part heats, not the back. the audio controls on the steering wheel are too far from the actual wheel. also, the mirrors, not power folding, no led inside the mirror itself, they're not auto dim either, they dont even have curb assist.

as for the chevy, FULL power bucket seats with power lumbar and full heat (on both seats). Bose stereo with sub built in the center console (instead of under the rear seat taking up storage space) and tweeters on the A pillars. rear audio controls (not that i'll ever use them, just nice to have)rear ac vents, power folding mirrors with built in turn signals, auto dim, and curb assist. Let me start on the onstar, amazing option. Hands free, voice activated SATELLITE PHONE for when i'm out in the country and most cell carriers don't get signal, my onstar phone works perfect. locked out? no problem. onstar unlocks the doors. Check engine light on? onstar will tell you what's wrong with your truck without even opening the hood. Another thing, I love white trucks, chevy's summit white is much whiter than ford's oxford white, which looks yellowish next to a chevy. Chevy has dual climate controls. Satellite radio since '03 as for ford it just became available for '06.

I love ford, but for a $38k sticker price on both fully loaded, ford is still in the 1990's.

the ram has a nice bodystyle, but the interior is worse than ford. also it depreciates faster than anything. i feel sorry for the people that bought the chrysler 300. what were they thinking, ITS A CHRYSLER!!!!!!!! you owe more than its worth.

ps. the fog lights on the silverado are waaaaaaaaaaay brighter than ford's.

ps2 - nissan and toyota just have to go back to japan. the toyota is a damn shame, no difference from a corolla in the interior. honda ridgeline, not full size, go compete with the colorado and the ranger.
  • damongdamong Member Posts: 1
    Alright. I had to join in just to give my opinion of the Chevrolet/Sierra against the Fords and Dodges.

I dont know what to say about the Ram. I had one, new in 96 and it was a great truck. A little pricey but I never had any problems. It was a lease so I turned it in and just drove my wifes Expedition cause she bought a new Maxima in 2000.

The F-150 is a whole nother animal. My family all bought 150's when they came out it 97. A extended cab 4.6, and regular cab 4.6 4x4, a extended cab 4.2 work truck and a regluar cab 4.2 work truck and I bought a 5.4 4X4 Epedition in late 97. The only one that remains is the 4.6 regular cab 4X4 and that is because it is hardly used. It has about 38000 miles on it and it is my father in laws farm truck. All of them have had problems with IAC sensors, IPS sensors and a host of head gasket, and front cover gasket and oil stem seal problems. My Expedtion was the electronic transfer case and it stuck in 4 Low and would not come out and I had never switched it into 4 low, and it died on the interstate. I was going about 70 when I noticed the steering was tighter and I got no acceleration. It also did this in a parking lot as I was driving around the service department said they could not find a problem. I even got a sweet deal on a 01 XLT extended cab 4.2 to use as a commuter and although it did not have the engine problems it was a sensor nightmare. I have sworn off Fords. You can fill the pilars with foam but if you dont do something about the crappy sensors it will look pretty on the side of the road or in the service departmen and you wont be able to hear the laughter of the Chevy owners driving by. If you want a pretty truck, buy a Ford. Now the Superduty's are nice but really, a HD Silverado or Sierra will do the same job but give you more realiabilty and driveability. It is easier to drive a Sivlerado than any of the other trucks. Try loading a new F-150 and then load the same into a Silverado. The only reason ford sells more F-150's is because of government contracts, more V6 models, and Ford motor credit will finance anyone. If you can give loans to just about anyone you will sell more cars period.

My current truck is a 04 Silverado extended cab 4X2 with the 5.3 and I am impressed. It is loaded out with everything except leather and I love it. I drives very tight and handles great. On my last trip to Jacksonville I set the computer and it showed I got 20.1 mpg and that was at 70 mph. When I towed my 67 Lemans back from Kentucky last year on a trailer the truck got 16 mpg. That is no lie and all I did was install a K&N, no other mods. Back in August I was hit by a car in the front and that truck took the hit and I felt very safe. In my 01 F-150 I hit a deer at 50 mph and the whole truck shook and spun out doing a 180 and the deer only weighed about 100lbs. Although the airbags did not deploy I was able to hit the onstar button and step out of the truck to check on the other driver the operator still heard me and athorities were on the scene in 10 minutes. That right there is the reason I will buy another one in 2008. It is not the prettiest of trucks but I did not buy it to look cute. It has hauled, driven, and performed in every way I will ever need a truck and that is the problem with most folks is they have way more than they need to satify a image. Ford now has given the F150 3 valves(we have all seen the commerical) to do what the Chevy has been doing, come on, with that heavy [non-permissible content removed] truck you need to add more than another valve cause the new Chevy engine the Max is going to still clean its clock.

If you want a truck that will hold its value you will also buy a Silverado/Sierra. Due to the fact the F-150s are a dime a dozen and most are commercial, rental, goverment fleet, or stripped down V6 models make them right there with Dodge and with Dodge they have never recovered from thier reliabiltiy problems. I dont know, call me partial, but I have owned them all and the Silverado I the best on I have had. I drove a new F-150, and even the Titan and neither one felt as good as the Silverado.

All of this is just my opinion. You should always drive all the trucks mentioned to form your own. And never just take a truck down the road, drive it like you stole it, walk around it, open the tailgate, sit in the back seat so you really know what you are getting. What works for one person may not for the other.
  • cphelpscphelps Member Posts: 2
    I can see that the eternal Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge debate is alive and well. I grew up on a farm and the John Deere vs. International vs. Case vs. Massey debates were just as spirited.

My wife and I have 3 teen-age drivers in the house and we currently own 6 vehicles. All except one a GM product. Over the years we have owned a variety of makes. Ford, Dodge, Mazda and Jeep. The best car for the money was a 1990 Ford Tempo my wife bought as her car when the kids were young. Was going strong at 150,000 miles when a young lady ran a red light, T-boned my wife and the insurance company totaled it. All I ever did to that car was regular maintenance and a new set of tires.

Until a new 2005 Tahoe followed us home this summer, all the vehicles we ever bought were used to very well used when we acquired them. I figured our average mileage per vehicle prior to getting our new Tahoe was about 120,000 miles, ranging from 60,000 on my daughter's Pontiac to 170,000 miles on our 96 Tahoe. Most of our other vehicles are in that 110,000 to 130,000 mile range. Over the years I have bought older, used Ford and GMC/Chevy trucks that I used on my small farm, hauled my tractor with, hauled our boat with, hauled firewood with, and used to go hunting and fishing with. Every truck or car I ever bought has met or exceeded my expectations, regardless of make or model.

And we are not flatland, pavement pounders. Due to my wife's job as a horticulturist and having a small farm, we use our trucks. We may not go trail-riding or rock-climbing, but we spend time out on rougher rural roads and in the dirt. Until we bought our first Tahoe, we never had a 4WD. We sort of operated under the theory that the only difference between 2WD and 4WD was about another 100 foot of tow chain.

Anyway, after 30 plus years of driving and owning about 18 cars and trucks, we have had our share of replaced fuel and water pumps, one blown head gasket, one clutch replacement, two transmission rebuilds. The first on an old Chevy pick-up in excess of 180,000 miles, the other in our 96 4WD Tahoe at 130,000 miles after my daughter toasted the tranny trying to get out of a snowbank, (remember the 100 foot of tow chain reference), a couple of alternators, a couple of axle bearings, a few u-joints, and one AC compressor.

Considering that I bought most of these vehicles with some age on them, and a few of them were running strong though they had a lot of miles on them when they got totaled in accidents, (we're not snake bit, but when you drive a $1,000 vehicle with just liability insurance and hit a deer it's just more economical to go buy another $1,000 vehicle rather than fix the one that got wrecked), I have just come to the conclusion that all these cars are pretty well made anymore. Not saying you don't get a lemon now and then, but even though I drive mostly GM products, I have had good luck with Ford and Chrysler and Mazda.

I guess it all comes down to the dealer. I have a very good Chevy/GMC dealer I buy from and that is probably why most of the vehicles I have owned have been GMC products.

Now, as far as the 2005 Tahoe goes, it is the first 0 mileage vehicle I have ever bought. I have about 7,500 on it so far and it is an amazing vehicle. I thought my 1996 Tahoe I bought used with 40,000 miles on it was a great vehicle and it hauled my family all over the eastern 2/3 of the US on vacations without any problems other than that transmission problem that was caused by a 17 year old attempting to gain off-road experience after a large snowfall, but this 2005 is all the 1996 was and then some.

That being said, nobody better knock my John Deere or I WILL be a little upset! :mad:
    Hey, welcome to the Forums, and thanks for the detailed first post!

We'll try not to knock your Deere if you hang around :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• cphelpscphelps Member Posts: 2
    I read over my post and it appears that I didn't address the subject, namely pick-ups. Most of the vehicles I have owned have been Chevrolet pick-ups, starting with a 1973 3/4 ton. I currently own a 94 C2500 ext. cab that I bought in 1995. The reason I don't have any experience with the newer trucks is that this 94 is the best truck I have ever owned. It finally had its first repairs this fall when I had to put a new water pump and a new fuel pump on it. It had about 120,000 miles on it at that time. It is my daily driver to work and I use it a lot on my farm. We live in farm country, and I would say about 2/3 of the farm pick-up trucks around here are Chevrolet/GMC. But again, that may be as much due to a good Chevrolet/GMC dealer in our little town as anything. Based on my personal experience my next truck, (hopefully when I get daughter's 1 and 2 out of college in a couple of years), is going to be a new Chevrolet or GMC.
  • myobmyob Member Posts: 53
    All this Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan silliness.

I use trucks for work and have owned 4 Chevys, 1 Ford, 2 Dodges, and 2 Toyotas and they all have their pros and cons.

Usually the "best" truck is one that has most recently been redesigned, since they keep getting better with each year. I've had reliable Chevys and one that died at 1200 miles. All have had at least one warranty item, some a few more, but none luckily have been lemons.

If you want the best truck ownership experience, want the truck that you like the looks of the best, or whatever, buy a new pickup and sell it yourself (not trade in) after about 3 years. You've used it during the period of warranty and least problems and before any major repairs pop up. Yet because trucks resell so well you will do ok when you sell and put that money towards the next newer improved truck. What you pay in interest and added depreciation you'll partially make up in lowered repair and maintenance costs.

Granted, driving a truck 10 years may save a few bucks, but you'll be in old technology. If you truly want "the best" you'll buy what you want and then buy another when a significantly improved model comes out.

In my business and life I can't afford downtime, period. So I keep a truck 3-4 years. By that time the design cycles have changed and there are better options out there anyway.
  • critic1critic1 Member Posts: 2
  • critic1critic1 Member Posts: 2
    Let's hope GM is very aggressive with the design and options for the 2007. They need to be. Bring in an overhead cam/4 valve/cyl. engine. Be the first to make a 1/2 ton diesel. How about a 5-speed automatic for all the soccer moms(dads) that really don't use the truck to it's full potential. They need to fully box the whole frame. Offer different size(dia.)tires as an option. Take a few of these "cute" options that the other brands offer and put them out on their rigs. The mirrors definitely need to go, can't see crap behind you when you are hauling anything on a trailer.
    As for the Japanese, well if you like to drive 7/8 scale vehicles then be my guest! Someday when they build a true fullsize truck, then let's compare. Poor seating position, buzzy engines, cheap plastics. The only reason anyone accepts them is because there is a Japanese name on the truck and that makes it ok.
    Ford, the Triton was a joke from the day it left the blueprint!! What a wheeeezer! No torque, no power. The 4.8L GM will even out run the "mighty" 5.4 Triton. If you want something feminine, here's your vehicle.
    Dodge, proof that a 10 yr. old with an erector set call sell anything to anyone. How about you boys out there with that V-10, glad you got that with 2.75/gal. gas now?
    I am not a total Chevy fan, but I do own one. I think the current one is butt ugly. The next design will hopefully be a little more imaginative. I bought my '99 in Dec. of '98. Change the oil every 7500 mi. along with tire rotation. Only recall I had was for the brake line to the front calipers. Was in three times for minor warranty work. No oil pressure problems. No issues with the autotrac system not working. My major expenses have been a "redisigned" exhaust system. New set of Bridgestone All Terrain T/A's at 65,000 miles this past summer and a new battery. Did a tranny flush at 55,000 and found nothing wrong. Replaced the serpentine belt at the sametime. Took it in for a tune up this past summer-mechanic said it didn't need one-it was fine. Put in a set of 4-electrode Bosch plugs anyway.
    As far as flat landers not using their trucks(yes, unfortunately I call Nebraska home)I beg to differ. First winter I had the truck we had 60" of snow and temps. as low as -30*F. Summertime temps. to 110*F. I pulled my 21' boat across the state at 75 mph on a 100* day and not a problem from the Silverado. I can only say I have not been disappointed by this vehicle. It has treated me well and vice versa.
    Check out what Consumer Reports says about the Chevy, Ford and Dodge for an unbiased opinion. It's mildly surprising. As for the imports, with as much time as they have had to copy the US built equipment, you would think they could've got it right the first time.
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    I think it's safe to say that there is no way to please all the people all the time. I like Ford exteriors and GM interiors and Toyota fit and finish and Nissan power. I guess I'd better win the lottery. I'll go drive something other than GM and think "Yeah, I like this." Then two days later I'll go drive a GM and end up buying the GM. I have become accustomed to GM after 16 years behind the wheel of various models. I think that plays the bigger part in our rivalries.
  • lugofffd945lugofffd945 Member Posts: 1
    Im glad you like chevy so do I, I also have a chevy silverado 99 with the 5.3 8" lift and 35" tires I love chevy but you need to get you head examined if you think that truck will run 145mph kid your out of your mind if you think that chevy pkps cut off at 97-100 somewhere in there and IF you have a hypertech programmer installed I think that adjust the shut of to like 127 but never 145mph out of a stock truck a little exhaust lets be serious.
  • redporkchopredporkchop Member Posts: 1
    I have been in the farming business for over 30 years. I own fords and chevys from 1970 to 2000 models.

My fords (all 6) are junk, but how can you resist buying a ford for 1,000 bucks and it last for a year! Two f350's I bought brand new. No power, had to treat like a baby. Lots of expensive repairs in engine and tranny.

My chevys (all 8) are gems. I bought recently (well 10 years ago, three 3/4 ton diesals. Besides some basic repair work, my daily driver and the truck I use to "do anything, pull anything" has 400,000 plus miles on it.

My wife drives a 2000 k1500. It's our "traveling truck" and it has over 200,000 miles on it. I think we have put maybe $200 in it.

Farming with a ford is not a smart idea. Come to Iowa and see how many fords you see in use on farms...ha...not many!!!
    This is not a "brand wars" discussion. Let's stick to talking about the upcoming Silverado & Sierra, please.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

This discussion has been closed.