Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tionnationna Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for that advise I'm going to ask about a copilot also. Thanks I'll inform you on what happens.
  • j9shemij9shemi Member Posts: 9
    Picked up the truck on Friday, seemed to run ok. By Sunday, engine light back on! I have to bring it back for the 5th time! They said they were switching a fuel injector, and never did anything but reset the computer! I've emailed chryseller again. I'm at my wits end. When this lease is up, I'm switching to GMC!!!
    I picked up my truck thurs. light off but I think they may have unplugged it. I really want to give tis truck back but their saying they paid taxes on the title so i can't get my money back.
  • sorneysorney Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Durango that has been starting hard for several months. It never turns over on the first try - always the second try. It always turns over, just take 2 tries to start, unless it has been running for a while, and I turn the engine off and restart. Then it seems to start better on the first turnover. I have a new battery, and it always tries to start, so I don't think it is the starter. Any ideas?
  • lamewolflamewolf Member Posts: 1
    Any luck on getting this fixed? I have a 2002 that is doing the same thing as yours was/is.
    well I went to the dealer about the problem with my 1999 Durango. What do you know they fixed it? It's pulling off just fine and the check engine light is gone off.
    Make sure they check your wires first. because in my 1999 Durango had the same problem We replaced the sensors and the light was still on . They said I needed that same thing that you need but it came to be bad wiring in the truck. so make sure they check yous wires first and they said something about the heating wire to the sensors.My truck is fine now. Good Luck
    Yes This sounds like speed sensors they get stretched easily and have to be replaced soon or you'll have major problems
  • dodgemommadodgemomma Member Posts: 1
    I do not have a Durango but I do own a 99 Dodge Ram Sport and seem to have had the same problem. About a year and a half ago- my dodge started stalling out on me at low speeds and then got to the point that it would not crank. Had a mechanic tell me that it was a sensor that needed to be replaced and replaced it- drove it for a day and the same thing happened so i took it to the local Dodge dealer who told me that after checking the truck told me that I needed a throttle body service along with having the injectors cleaned. This fixed my problem until yesterday. Now the problem has reared it's ugly face again.
    before you pay for the injector cleaning go to your local auto store and purchase injector cleaner for large vehicles if it works for a little while that's what you need
  • grudzien89grudzien89 Member Posts: 2
    i own a '98 durango, and i can tell u that its not your starter, i dont know if this is going to help u, but i just replaced a water pump, couple of houses, and my transmission is leaking. This truck only has 81 K on it and i should not be having these problems!!! i love my truck but im begining to thing that i made a mistake buying it. it costed me $400 and i dont even wanna think what is going to go next.
  • grudzien89grudzien89 Member Posts: 2
    see dodge durango 98-03, lookes mean, fast and though but it not! at 81 K miles its leakin tranny fluid, shocks dont even work, the truck shakes like gello while i drive it. I have got a 5.2 L engine in my truck, which is just ok, not too impressing. But overall my baby gets me where i want to go and thats all that matters
  • archie2006archie2006 Member Posts: 1
    The turn signals in my Durango will work intermittenly. They will flash a couple of times then go solid, it happens either direction. "note this never happens when the dealer has my truck for service or so they say" I have been told that it is my flasher switch of which I am unable to locate. Any help would be helpful.
  • j9shemij9shemi Member Posts: 9
    They finally switched out a fuel injector and the truck is running pretty good. Knock on wood! I don't want to jinx it! Engine light stayed off for a week now. We'll see what happens!
  • shornershorner Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Dodge Durango 4X4 5.9 Liter that I am experiencing some problems with. The steering has gotten to the point where I have 4 inches of play while steering left to right before the wheel turns. I am told this is due to a defective Control Arm, or Control Arm Bushing but what concerns me is apparently this can result in loss of control. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • sorneysorney Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Durango also which had the same problem. I bought a flasher at the local AutoZone for about $12. It's straight up from the emergency brake. It's a small green box about 2 inches by 2 inches. When you take it out, you can take it to the auto store and match it to a replacement flasher. Its a 5 terminal flasher part # EP27.
  • abgilmore1abgilmore1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I have a 7 month old Durango, which I have been taking to the dealership for the past month over stalling issues and RMP's issues. Which they have been yet to find a problem or a fault for. Well yesterday, my durango went insane after I put it in drive..and all the lights flashed and it stalled. I starting the truck again, put it in drive and was about to pull out of the parking spot with it accelerated and I hit a light pole. There is over $4000 in damage and the dealer wants me to go through insurance..I said no way..I have been complaining for a month that there is something wrong with the truck and now you want put this on me..has anybody heard for this happening to anybody else or have any suggestions...Please help?? :cry:
  • redleg2redleg2 Member Posts: 1
    Was wondering if you ever got your Durango fixed, I have a 2000 w/ 4.7 ltr replaced both upstream and downstream O2 twice, now the truck is dumping fuel, I look like a diesel going down the road.
  • reece2718reece2718 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Dodge Durango and periodically it will just die. the engine turns over but nothing happens. comes up with a code of NO BUS. wait a few minutes and then it will start again. From what I have found seams to be a problem with the PCM. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it. Warranty is up and I really don't want to take it to a dealer and let them hunt and peck at fixing it.
  • koop6044koop6044 Member Posts: 1
    Our durango acted like it had a dead battery. Upon getting a jump it only stays running if you rev quite high and even then it might immediately die. We only have two month left on the lease...any suggestions for a quick, inexpensive fix?
  • ura6ima9ura6ima9 Member Posts: 1
    I need to program the keyless remote for my 05 dodge durango. I no longer have the original keys that came with it. I have found instructions but it says to use the current transmitter. Which I can not. I have the blank keyless remote I just need to know where to find the instructions to program the FOB. Anyhelp would be appreciated.
  • mbrammbram Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Durango Instrument panel will not work( guages and idiot lights). Even the odometer does not work( "No Buss" displays) The car runs fine. I can turn on the right turn signal and guages and idiot lights(turn off) start working. When the signal turns off the guages stop working. Then after driving for about 10 -15 mins everything starts working fine, except on warm to hot days >78 degrees. I have attached diag computer and found no diagnosic codes. any help on where to start looking?
  • durkotadurkota Member Posts: 2
    I have what sounds like the same exact problem with my wife's 2000 durango. We have brought it to our "FIVE STAR" dealer twice,with zero results. Our troubles only happen when the truck is hot.(temp gauge is @ 210 degrees.)It will stall when the thing is in park idling,in gear in traffic it has even occurred with the engine off, key in the "on" positon. I dont have the answers but I hope someone can point us in the right direction.
  • greatbigmercgreatbigmerc Member Posts: 1
    Not very encouraging that a "FIVE STAR" dealer could not handle this...I just had the No Bus display this morning, along w ABS, MIL and AirBag lights all staying on. None of the gauges work either. I read on another forum that it is usually an either a PCM problem or ABS problem. Just hope it wont cost me too much...
  • melaniev28melaniev28 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 dodge durango v8 4.7L. I had the NO BUS signal, had to have it towed to the dealer. they replaced the PCM Module, because I was in the 8 year 80,000 mile warranty that dodge covers. They also told me that my ball joints had a recall and they replaced those as well. But now here is the kicker. They put the PCM Module on and now it won't start. Its been 4 days and they still don't know why it won't start. Just a electrical problem that they are trying to find. Has anybody else had this happen?
    I did have 2 problems before this happened. The Idle Air Control Motor and my lights would flicker, when you shut the doors ( if the lights were on)!!!
    Help :cry:
  • stormyrhainestormyrhaine Member Posts: 1
    I am having a problem with my 2002 durango. At times the abs, brake and air bag lights come on on the control panel ( all at the same time). When this happens the air conditioner, back windshield wipers, back up lights and the speedometer all quit working. It is not a consistent problem though it is getting worse. Sometimes everything will be fine when I start the vehicle and then it will just happen. Other times it starts as soon as I start the vehicle. Any ideas???
  • horst1horst1 Member Posts: 33
    Hi denimo,
    I have a 2005 Durango LTD. Hemi with 3.55:1 gears. I am also towing a 4000lbs. lightweight house trailer. No problems so far. At 100pkh the hemi turns 1600rpm, at 120kph 1850rpm. You can change your ratio to 3.96:1 I believe, that will give you more power and maybe a smoother ride with the motor. Be aware that yor gas milage will drop a bit. But I think, in BC in the mountain, the gas milage will be not as good as in Ontario which is mostly flat. The $4000 to change your rear end gears seams high. If you add headers with all the other goodies you have in mind, your horsepower will jump to approx. 395HP from 345HP.
    Good luck. Horst
    To all the 2004 new Style body Durango drivers.
    I purchased my Durango with 6700kilometers on the odometer from a lady who plated the Durango September 2004. So far, I had no problems. It runs very quiet and has lots of power. To day I installed a fuel saver "Tornado". The fuel millage is not really bad for the horsepower you have plus it is a heavy SUV. My intention is to add also a K&N air filter. Keep you posted.
    Horst
    I drove 245 kilometers and used 35.7L of gas. 14.6L per 100 kilometers. To convert this into miles per gallon is approx. 19.2 m/g imperial. In US 16m/gallon. All this by city driving. I have not taken the Durango on any trips yet. My 1994 Astro van was using more gas than the Durango with a Hemi. The only penalty is the price of "high test gas". Keep you posted.
    Horst
  • lmcquillinlmcquillin Member Posts: 1
    I just got an 01' durango. The dealership lost the original transmitter. I bought a transmitter, but I dont have the program for it. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me on this. I dont have the original so I can't use that method. I need the initial method that is in the owners manual(which I do not have.) Again I would really appreciate some ones help in this matter.
  • toby411ctoby411c Member Posts: 1
    all i need to is how much lube and what kind to put in my transfer case. any info would be of help thank you.
    A faulty catalytic converter will do the same thing. If the inside is collapsed and is blocking the exhaust path you will have the same same symptoms. The car will start without any problems, check engine light will be on but no power. I hope this helps.
    Horst
  • joeld1joeld1 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a loaded 2001 Durango SLT. Under warranty, the motor was using oil and the check gages (sic) light would come on, but no "problem" could be found. The rig has been babied, never overheated and serviced religiously at the dealership, but now out of warranty. The went to the 7/75,000 warranty in 2002.
    Two weeks ago @ 65,000 mi. it just started stalling from a stop and we took it immediately to the shop, where it's been since. The dealership diagnosed this as a cracked head @ $2k to repair both heads. I was told by the dealership and an independent shop that the cracked heads on these motors is quite common, but since there is no service bulletin and no recall, the dealership's hands are tied. Chrysler is denying assistance, of course. Does anybody have any information on these heads cracking or possibly related issues?
    Thanks!
    -jd
  • casperthegohstcasperthegohst Member Posts: 2
    1999 durango will stall out with code "no bus" showing in the odometer gage. After sitting 5 minutes the car starts up. since its running when i take it to dealer or electrical shop they can't locate problem. What is the bus and can it be fixed by a diy?
  • durkotadurkota Member Posts: 2
    I'm not sure what no bus stands for,but my wife's 2000 durango would sometimes have the same code. Our trouble seems to have been the "crank sensor" causing the vehicle to stall and not register any trouble codes in the computer. We were told this is a typical problem with the 5.9 liter engines. We were also told to keep our fingers crossed because they were not certain that this was the only sensor that may have been causing the problem. It's been four days now with out a "stall" so we're at least encouraged .
  • melaniev28melaniev28 Member Posts: 3
    My 2001 Dodge durango got the same code, but would not start back up. Come to find out, the CPM module died, so it was covered under the dodge warranty ( 7 year , 70,000 mile warranty) so they replaced it and it still wouldn't start. It was the Crank Sensor. Been running fine since.
    HOpe this helps. Had a recall on the ball joints too and they replaced those for free, the cpm module is your computer ( runs about $800.00)
  • slauslau Member Posts: 3
    I am considering getting a 2006 Durango Limited 4WD with Hemi V8. It appears that Dodge is having a great deal on the Durangos right now. I got concern, however, after reading through some of the messages in this forum.

There are a couple questions that I would like to seek advice from everyone on this forum: (1) Have the problems with stalling and ball joints been satisfactorily resolved so far or that they are still concerns for the 2006 version? (2) Also, when I went to a Dodge dealership yesterday, I noticed that about half of the 2006 Dorangos have had their mufflers already showing signs of extensive corrosion even before leaving the lot. Does anyone know whether this is a known problem with the 2006 Durangos? What was of a particular concern to me is that when the sales person showed me a nicely polished demo in the show room with 5000 miles on it (was driven carefully by a Dodge manager, I was told), the muffler on it has been completely rusted. Some spots were close to be rusted through. With today's corrosion protection technology, one should not expect to see that.

I would appreciate it very much if anyone can offer any information on these items as well as any suggestions on whether one should stay away from this car.

Thanks!
  • casperthegohstcasperthegohst Member Posts: 2
    thank you for the advice.I will start with the crank sensor and if that doesn't work I'll try a "copilot" mentioned in #108.
  • jmickajmicka Member Posts: 1
    About 6 months ago our right turn signal worked liked a trailer was pluged in (about twice as fast), left was fine. I took out the front and back 'housings', bulbs, looked at the connections I could see. Everything looked fine. When I put it all back together it worked fine. Now it's doing it again! This is a well kept 2wd. Not a big problem but it's not right and I can't find a problem or think of a reason. ANY ideas??
    Joe
  • reece2718reece2718 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem on my 2000 Durango. engine would just shut down and wait for a few minutes and bam start back up again. Few other mechanics I talked to said it would be a problem with the Crank Position Sensor. I replaced that and so far it has been running fine and no problems with stalling. I picked the part up at Auto zone and it cost me about 60 bucks. it is a pain in the butt to replace but can be done by a DIY. the part is located on the 5.9L engine right above and behind the oil filter, behind the exhaust manifold.
  • alexis2alexis2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Dodge Durango and a couple weeks ago the headlights and inside lights started flickering and then last week they did it again and then they went out for good along with my automatic door locks, radio controls (that are on the steering wheel) windsheid wipers and probbaly some other things have just stopped working??? I dont get it... is it an electrical problem, alterator problem, computer problem??? Does anyone know?
  • fly19382fly19382 Member Posts: 1
    Sometimes after a long drive the tail lights on my 98 Durango 5.9 L will not go out unless I disconnect the battery. Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery solves the problem. Any ideas about what causes this and how to fix it? Also, about how much does the repair cost? Directions on how to do it myself? Thanks for your help.
  • julie11julie11 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Durango. Died on me 3 years ago on the freeway, almost got myself killed trying to safely manuever over to the side of fwy. Diagnosis: Engine seized due to losing oil pressure. Cost almost $6K as it was, of course, just out of warranty. This thing had been babied--oil changes every 3 months, the works. Then 1 year ago, it died on me AGAIN on the freeway. Diagnosis? Needed a new transmission--cost me almost $2K. Then, 2 months ago, on the way to Disneyland for a family trip, engine died ONCE AGAIN!!! Diagnosis? NEEDS ANOTHER NEW ENGINE--Hole in piston! I decided to NOT put another cent in this moneypit, even though I LOVE the Durango! Spent last 2 days looking at new vehicles, against my better judgement decided to check out a 2006 Durango since they are really giving out smokin' deals to move the inventory. Seriously thought about buying it. I thought that since it was redesigned and had a HEMI, that it was a totally different vehicle. Well, I didn't budge on my price, because if I'm going to buy another Durango, it would have be an INCREDIBLE deal, and the dealer didn't want to come down, so I walked. SO GLAD I DID!! After doing hours of research on the net about the new Durango and the problems everyone has been having, I am ecstatic that I didn't cave in and buy one. Plus, 14 mpg gas mileage? Geez! It's the Toyota RAV4 for me. Much better warranty--gas mileage is 24 mph in the city. Dodge powertrain warranties USED to be 7yr/70K, now they are only 3yr/36K for powertrain. There's a reason for that! They were losing too much money with all the dang repairs! They don't stand behind their products. Toyota powertrain warranty is 5 yr/60K. The RAV4 is smaller, but does come with a 3rd seat option, and it looks good. Drove one today and that thing is quick! The minute I left the Dodge dealership, I was happy that I didn't make the same mistake again. If I bought another Durango after what I've been through, then hell, I would need my head examined! The Durango IS beautiful, and is a great ride--WHEN IT WORKS!!!! I hope you all have better luck than I did. My suggestion--get rid of it at the first sign of problems, because it only gets worse, and the manufacturer will not stand behind their product. I hope other Durango owners love how it looks on the road, because it's going to cost you a fortune to keep it there.
  • howardc44howardc44 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 99 Durango and had the same problem. Found out that my front ball bearings were shot. Went to Auto Zone and picked up a whole new Hub assembly kit for $170.00 and fixed the problem.

Cindy
  • howardc44howardc44 Member Posts: 8
    99 Dodge Durango - Will start but won't stay running. Have not had this problem before. First time. Unplugged the battery to clear the brain. Reconnected and it started and ran. Checked it periodically this weekend, but did not drive it. This a.m. it started, but again won't stay running. Any suggestions? Checked starter, fuel pump, and alternator.

Cindy
  • anneemationanneemation Member Posts: 1
    Hi, can someone help me, my 2002 Dodge Durango with 39140 miles, that I purchased used, one year ago now needs a new air conditioner. The other day I went to turn it on and it has worked this season, it made a weird noise, when it was on max air and the fan dial was on. I immediately began to play with the knobs, but nothing. No cold air, but no hot air either. I contacted a few people (not professionals, just friends) to see what they thought. One said take it and have a recharge done. So today I did, I took it to PEP BOYS and they did a A/C Performance Check (Ultrviolt Quick check) then they did a DELUXE A/C Recharge, well then they telephoned me and said it seemed to work then stop, and that they would write me up a quote to fix it (roughly around $1400.00). I have an appt with the Dodge Dealer tomorrow for yet another diagnostic and everyone said DO NOT TAKE IT TO THE DEALER, because they are too costly. Well Pep Boys didn't seem to keen on doing an air conditioner and the man said that it seemed like something was stuck like maybe dirt??? Can someone please help and guide me in the right direction. I did a query search and it seems like Durango Air Compressors rund around $400 on up? Where in the world would PEP Boys come up with a figure like $1400.00? Please someone knowledgeable. It is difficult when you are a woman who knows nothing about cars. I am leaving with my children on June 30, 2006 from MA, driving back to AZ (home) and there is no way I can drive all that way without air conditioner. Any/all suggestions on how to repair my vehicle and know what to ask for and cost would be greatly appreciate.
  • dlewis88dlewis88 Member Posts: 2
    When the crank sensor has gone out, has anyone noticed if the tachometer or any other gauges moved or didn't move when the truck stalled? A buddy of mine has been having the same problem as described in other posts that talked about the "No Bus" code. When his stalls, the tachometer stays at about 700 or 800 RPMs, but the engine is not running. Is this symptom linked to the Crank Sensor problem? Thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may be able to get some helpful tips and advice in Climate Control Problems (Air Conditioning, Heat) - All Cars. Good luck!

tidester, host
  • jtpd228jtpd228 Member Posts: 1
    Hey...looking for some help. My 01 Durano droppd all of its coolant in my brother-in-law's driveway after driving about 3 miles. The coolant all came out near where the trans meets the motor underneath. I could track it anyfurther than that to see where it was leaking from. Someone suggested freeze out cap, but that's not a common problem and I hope it wasn't that. Any ideas?
  • vette6vette6 Member Posts: 2
    The (Ecm) Engine control module is possibly bad. if you have been jumping the truck with the cables. It may have cause the problem. so it should be replaced. :):cry:image