Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• les7311les7311 Member Posts: 12
    Powered door locks, but had to replace almost all the powered door mechanism (actuentator ). Disconnected the R Rear since that one is now going bad. Notice that the doors do not lock automatically with the alarm or the master lock button - - and does this if the temp falls below 70 degrees. Over 70 degrees, they work purrfect! To unlock it, all doors work, but to lock, there is a clicking sound under the glove box (like a relay sound - - think that is good).

Anyone else experiencing this problem and what are your solutions? :confuse:
  • sdowningsdowning Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 with 86,000 miles and recently noticed the same surging of the engine while maintaining a constant speed. One other thing I noticed was that it went away after the car has been running for a while. If you find out what it is, I'd love to hear it!
  • rich28rich28 Member Posts: 23
    My 01 Dakota surged, especially through hills and with the cruise on. I had the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) replaced and that absolutely fixed the problem.
  • dagwood396dagwood396 Member Posts: 3
    Just wondering how many of you have had the same problems...
    Just in the last year we've had
    1 - Recall on upper ball joints
    2 - lower ball joints failed 3 months later (our expense)
    3 - Steering column key lock failure (our expense)
    4 - Transmission failed (our expense)
    5 - Air conditioner evaporator failed (our expense)
    Total cost - $3600.00 since last car payment - lucky us?
    I do plan on starting a class action lawsuit as I have heard these problems are quite common from used car dealers and auto repair shops and transmission shops. :lemon:
  • candirenee74candirenee74 Member Posts: 3
    I haven't had the problems YOU'VE experienced, but I have had my own! Airbag lights is still a main issue. However, I believe the transmission is starting to give me problems. Been to the dealer once already (still under warranty- 23,000 miles). I have 2006 Durango. Just out of curiousity, what year is your Durango? I had someome tell me from a non-Dodge Dealer that Dodge was going to reduce there powertrain warranty by "20,000" miles due to all the issues! Does anyone know if this is true too? :lemon:
  • lostbutnotconflostbutnotconf Member Posts: 2
    I may be to late but my 2000 has had this problem, I decided to just let it idle in my driveway to wait for it to shut down. When it finally did I was able to restart it without problem, unlike if i were driving it. As I went through and checked all the relays i noticed that the automatic shut off relay was extremely hot, I replaced it and that seems to have cured it, I would imagine the same could happen to the fuel pump relay as well. But of course if it is running at the time you take it in it wont be detected until it acts up again.
  • lostbutnotconflostbutnotconf Member Posts: 2
    You might try the automatic shut off relay, i replaced mine and it fixed the problem
  • dagwood396dagwood396 Member Posts: 3
    2001 durango R/T
    spent almost $4000
    forgot about the lower ball joints $300
    they recalled the uppers and replaced
    but then refused to align front end
  • rbaynerbayne Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Durango and had the same problem. It would rev 200-400 rpm. I only noticed it with the cruise control set. I replaced the Throttle Positioning Sensor and completely repaired the problem. This is an easy fix, and relatively inexpensive ($38.00 at O'reilly Auto Parts). 2 Torx bolts and one electrial plug (on left side of throttle body assembly)
  • jvanderbanckjvanderbanck Member Posts: 1
    Hi les7311, im wondering what came of your problem, i'm having the exact same one. Need to figure this out, it's killing me. Anything would be helpful. Thanks very much.

Jonathan
  • clmaj40clmaj40 Member Posts: 4
    About 1 month ago I did a sharp U-turn and ever since than my truck stalls when I come to a stop. No codes in the PCM. We have replaced the TPS, MAP, and the Power steering pressure switch. Also, we had our injectors cleaned, and a new air filter. The spark plugs are 2 years old. I have 64500 miles on the truck. We thought we had it running the other day after replacing the power steering switch and I backed out of a parking space and heard an awful noise in the steering area. Has anyone had this type of a problem? We have the IAC part coming in now and will replace that next. Do you think we need to replace the PCM?

Very confused. Help please. :confuse:
  • rodnredmondrodnredmond Member Posts: 3
    I just replaced the battery and the head lights will not turn off and the back dome lights will not turn off. I tried to use ny electric locks they do not work, no dash lights and no windshield wipers. I need help.
    Ok the IAC did not work either. My truck is still stalling. I am at my whits end on what to do next.

Need some advice thanks! :cry: :mad:
    New computer on Saturday. :(
    I replaced the Throttle Positioning Sensor (cost $23 from Advance Auto). Bought the tools forgot the name but only $10) and replaced the old one. Over 100 miles and so-far, idle is normal. Try this quick fix and see what happens. :shades:
    See other messages on this site about Idling/RPM's etc. If you have that tact to remove the harness, an spray some brake cleaner (that evaporates quickly) that should dry out any fluid that sits in the harness and causing the short.

Fortunately, i did not have to replace my harness since i used brake cleaner, and only had to replace the Throttle Positioning Sensor. G.L.
    Hey, did you get a response on this? Hope you havent sold your durango, becuase the fix is simple. See my other posts. I am excited about this and want to share it with you all. Email me if you have any questions. :shades:
  • jdl_saundersjdl_saunders Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 durango, is haveing all sorts of problems, it started with a dinging noise then, the 4wd light came on, the electric door locks stoped working, the headlights dim on off, and finally the horn goes off for no reason when it's running, I tried disconnecting the baterry to reset it,so one told me it was the PCM or ECM, but i cant find either parts any where-- i'm pulling my hair out with this thing any help would be greatly appreciated
    We bought our PCM from the dealer, $278.
  • jessdurhamjessdurham Member Posts: 2
    hi, i've owned my durango almost 2 months and it suddenly has a problem we cant seem to figure out. at first it seemed like it was missing so we changed plugs/wires. still done it. now sometimes it just dies going down the road. we've replaced 3 sensors so far, a new pcm, and it still does it! we're completely lost at what to do. any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :confuse:
  • mashellemashelle Member Posts: 3
    hi, my durango is doing the same thing. Do you know who has the fix for this?
    :confuse:
    can anyone help me? PLEASE!!! :confuse: my mechanic is confused? What is wrong with the durango? :confuse:
  • jessdurhamjessdurham Member Posts: 2
    hi! today i finally broke down and took my durango to another mechanic, they tested everything, ran diagnostics and for a day and a half they searched. he finally found out that the timing was 18% off or something like that. i drove it home and it worked like a charm. so far that is. but as it dieing in the middle of the road i do think the pcm had something to do with it. cause once we replaced it, it didnt just die, it just kept losing power. hope this helps, we've replaced everything to think of just like you did, so try this and hopefully it'll work for you! good luck!
  • eve1106eve1106 Member Posts: 5
    Hi! I have a 2004 durnago and I was wondering if anybody knew about the instrumnet cluster and what it controls?? My dome lights have been staying all and I went to the dealership and they told me that a faulty instrument cluster was the reason why my dome lights wouldn't turn off. When I got home I noticed that all of sudden my power locks werent working either!! I went back and they said that also b/c of the instrumnet cluster. It really doesnt make any sense to me.
  • sjandersen1sjandersen1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have a 2004 Durango and the problem I was having was the clock/radio wasn't working at all and the dome light and the power door locks would only work if the key was in the "on" position.It turned out to be a loose wire coming out of the PCM.
  • pcm_haterpcm_hater Member Posts: 1
    HELP!! I have 58000 miles on my truck, it's been well mainained and the check engine light recently came on. Then I notice a fluctuating oil gauge. I had it looked at and $400 later the gave me a new battery and battery harness and stated that should take care of the issue. They cleared out the check engine signal and said it was a code 53, internal controller failure. The gauge seems more stable now, but the engine is making a funny noise. What could it be, and how much is it to fix it?? My mechanic seems helpless.
  • jerseymanjerseyman Member Posts: 2
    Am experiencing the exact same problem as this....was there a solution?
    Thanks.
  • jerseymanjerseyman Member Posts: 2
    The turn signals (same for hazzard lights) on a 2000 Durango will "blink" only 3-4 times before stopping. I checked the fuses and they are fine. I want to replace the turn signal relay, but can't locate it. Is it under the dashboard? Or, under the hood? Can anyone provide a suggestion. Thanks.
  • steelman4steelman4 Member Posts: 4
    I really hope someone has seen this problem.. We purchased this durango 4 years ago, and have not had anyproblems until recently..had at the dealer for the 80,000 mile service. they noticed it had not had any updates for the computer. they did all the updates everything was fine. now 15,000 later. it will not idle in the morning, you have to hold the gas to keep it from dieing. once warmed up, seems okay, the idle has went from 750 to 500 RPM's. have done the tune up and gas treatment, changed gas grades. any help would be greatly appreciated. dealer said they can not reproduce the problem.
  • jdl_saundersjdl_saunders Member Posts: 2
    i just replaced the PCm and got a new battery, but now it wont start, check all fuses, all connections, and found nothing, any ideas why it not starting?
  • glennl363glennl363 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem. Did you have any luck solving the problem?
    Thanks.
    it was the throttle plate sensor. cheap fix
  • jessi4jessi4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 durango and my turning signals aren't working either. i have the part from the part store to fix it but i don't know were it goes. i tried to listen for the noise but they don't work at all so i don't hear anything. if anyone has any info please let me know. thanks
  • niksdurangoniksdurango Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I have an 2005 durango. I've already been through the whole stalling thing got that fixed now when I go over bumps there is a noise underneath that almost sounds like something is loose or swaying back and forth as the back end moves from side to side. I've had it in to the dealer 3 times now (it's there right now)and they still can't figure it out. anybody had this problem? it's driving me crazy

ps the truck used to stall when i would come to a stop. they replaced the thermostat and coolant temp. sensor and all has been fine so far and that was 5 months ago . maybe this info will help someone :)
  • surfdadesurfdade Member Posts: 3
    I have the same exact problem it started last winter but by the time spring and summer came around they started working normally again, very strange. now they started doing it again starting in Dec06. IF anyone knows what gives please spill the beans.
    What is the part?
  • jessi4jessi4 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2000 durango with the 4.7 motor. part stores don't cary parts for that motor so i had to go to dodge directly. Mine started going bad in may '06. then it was fine then two days ago it went completly out. its under the dash on the drivers side along the wall. it's a green box. costs $35.00. i didn't have to take any panels out to get to it. hope this helps.
  • jalleinjallein Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Durango has lost all tghe electronics in the steering wheel incuding: Air bag, cruise control, radio buttons and horn. Any ideas?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds like a faulty clock spring. There's a TSB out on them for the Durango - (NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 620059). You can see all the TSB and recall summaries with the Edmunds Maintenance Guide.

Probably need to see your dealer and hope the TSB covers the fix free.
    Yep It was the Flasher I replaced it and it works like a champ now
  • jj911jj911 Member Posts: 1
    I unplugged the two back panel wiring-harness connectors on my 2004 Durango Limited multi-disc CD player/radio to run cabling behind the unit. Once I plugged the connectors back in and powered up the unit, I cannot select the CD player mode. AM/FM/DVD (VES) all work fine. Additionally, when I open the driver door I hear the CD disc changer apparently shuffling CDs for about 15 seconds, then silence. There were 5 CD's in the unit when I unplugged it. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
  • jchappeljchappel Member Posts: 16
    I have had a hissing noise coming from the gas peddle area for quite some time. Dealer can't find it and says that there are no vacuum lines in the area. The noise is most noticable when letting off the gas over 1000rpm. When it drops under 1000rpm it goes away. Anybody know what this could be? Thanks.
  • dodgeohdodgeoh Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2005 hemi durango with the same problem. Dealer so far has not been able to "fix" the problem. Started with firmware upgrade, now said the instrument cluster was "losing" connection and posting an error code. Don't know that I buy this, but we'll see what happens. Usually happens after the first 5 minutes after cold start.
    Great information. I too have the EXACT problem on my 2005 SLT Hemi Durango. Been through all the "upgrades" now they replaced the instrument cluster as it was "posting" error codes??? Other symptoms for me have been airbag light on intermittently. How scary is that? My dealer has been trying....so points for that, but when you buy new to have reliable transportation, but have to take it in all the time and worry about stalling, what good is it?
    Another problem on the 2005 Durango. When the vent control is set to recirculate, and the lower is set to off, when the vehicle hits 50 mph, there is a whistling/squealing heard from the vent. If the blower is turned on, or the control changed, the sound can be made to stop. The dealer has had two attempts to fix, one covered with a TSB for an expansion valve, (no fix) then another TSB for a pinched AC line....(no fix). Any one else out there with this annoying problem?
  • badlanderbadlander Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Durango with 4.7 engine and 26K miles has the following problem:

I get in it and turn the ignition. It does not crank at all. Every electrical accessory works - windows, fan, lights, instrument cluster, etc.

The 10 amp fuse in slot #10 blows. It appears to support the PCM and Fuel Pump. if I replace the fuse it just blows out again immediately. If I have the truck towed to my mechanic it shows no error codes and if they replace the fuse, it starts fine. This lasts for a week, several weeks, etc. then it happens again. the car can be sitting for 20 minutes, an hour, overnight, warm, cold, rain, sunny - its random.

The PCM has been tested and replaced. The ignition switch has been replaced.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or a schematic to where this fuse goes, etc. ?

Thanks!
  • kalvinskikalvinski Member Posts: 2
    Recently my interior lights just stay on at all times (while driving, while parked, etc). Luckily, the car shuts them off when the battery starts to get low. Also, after 15-20 minutes of driving, the button illumination for my climate control and the switch illumination for my headlights goes off and stays off.

SOMETIMES, I can press the courtesy lights button and shut them off manually (there is no switch for the liftgate, so that never goes off), but 90% of the time pressing the reading lights in does nothing.

FYI - Messing with the dimmer switch does not turn the light s off either - it DOES dim the illumination of my gauges, etc properly).

Any ideas? Anybody else experience the same thing?
  • eve1106eve1106 Member Posts: 5
    I am having the same problem. I took out the light bulbs to keep my battery from dying. I took my truck to the dealership and they said that the instrument cluster is going bad and needs to be replaced. The part is about $500.00.
  • snowiedsnowied Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if anyone has been having these issues. I have an '00 Durango and for the second time in 3 years I need to replace my dashboard cluster. In '04 it was changed for a cost of $140.00. It took the dealership 3x's to fix. In Dec 06 the light has come on again. Brought to the dealer and was told it would cost $1,200 to fix. No warranty on this part after 12 months. I have read on other sights that Chrysler did acknowledge a problem and therefore fixed it for labor only. Because of the issue my truck doesn't pass inspection. Any help! :mad
  • kalvinskikalvinski Member Posts: 2
    Are your gauges staying lit? My gauges all work fine, stay lit, and dim properly. I DO have a check engine light that comes on periodically (not flashing, just solid) and I've had another warning light pop on once and go off. But my main problem are the interior lights never going off.

Does the "instrument cluster" include all of the interior illumination, or is it just the gauges?