Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• snowiedsnowied Member Posts: 2
    I'm not sure. I do remember that I had a problem with my interior lights staying on - but for the life of me I cannot remember how I corrected it. My guages all work fine, it is just the check engine light stays on, never going off. Your problem my be with the dashboard cluster also. In addition, when the dealership checked this out, they reset my Odometer - Lucky Me. On the NHTSA website I researched this problem and there have been others. I do know that some have had you particular problem -- I don't know if you have checked there yet, but that might be another resource.
  • eve1106eve1106 Member Posts: 5
    My gauges still work. Te only problem I had was the interior lights not turning off. I took my car to the dealership and they said thats the problem I went and home then realized my powerlock stopped working, took the truck back and claim that they arent working now "because the instrument cluster is tking things out one by one." I dont believe them. I havent had any check engine or ohter warning light come on.
  • kansasarmyguykansasarmyguy Member Posts: 1
    The driver side door lock on my 2000 Durango refuses to unlock either with keyless entry, key or from door panel. Only driver side does not work all other doors lock and unlock OK. Is this a solenoid problem? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • eve1106eve1106 Member Posts: 5
    I just got my instrument cluster changed yesterday and everything is back to normal. So the problem that you are may just be from the instrument cluster. It is an expensive part though.
  • j9shemij9shemi Member Posts: 9
    Here we are in the blizzard of 2007,(Upstate New York) and my Durango acts up AGAIN! The Electronic Throttle light came on and it was idling iratically. It would rev up, then way down to almost a stall. Had to have it flat bedded, (cause ya can't tow an all wheel drive) down to the dealership. Can anyone tell me what the fix would be? I don't trust my dealership to tell me the truth. They have screwed me so many times before. And no other Dodge dealer will take the truck in. I'm leasing it, so we can't take it to Joe shmo either. Any ideas??
  • danab242danab242 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 durango that is having problems with the back turn signal light showing The front works kind of funny it blinks really fast.. i changed the back bulb now what?no luck can anyone direct me the right way thank you... for any help...
  • ali721zali721z Member Posts: 1
    2000 durango. It started a few weeks ago with the gate open light coming on and then the door ajar light. We checked all the doors. Nothing was open. The other day all the locks started locking and unlocking, my husband removed the fuse and then put it back in and it stopped for a while. Yesterday we were at the gas station and it started with the locks again (engine was off) so my husband took the fuse out again, then when we started it, it shut off (3X) he thought that maybe when he took the fuse out that it had turned the security system on, so he put the fuse in started it and took the fuse out. When we got home he tried all the locks with the remote, worked(sometimes it doesn't, new batteries in the remote). Then he tried the driver side switch and it would only unlock. then he tried the key in the door and it locked all the doors but would only unlock drivers side door. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but, when we bought it in '03 the heated mirrors never worked. then a about 6 months later the light on the 4WD went out. I can't believe this is happeneing to so many Durango's, Chrysler needs to get it together, my next truck is going to be foreign! Anyway, I've heard so many explanations, but I can't afford to just go replacing a bunch of parts. Does anyone know the REAL answer? Are there any recalls? THANK YOU!!
  • myzoomyzoo Member Posts: 2
    Here is a weird one: Only getting semi-warm air out of defrost and dash vents when full hot selected on temp control. Getting hot air out of vent to back seats that is located on back side of seat console. Cable attached to temp control panel seems to be O.K. Don't really feel like pulling inst. panel, not fun! Anyone got good ideas what might be the problem??
  • kackokacko Member Posts: 2
    turn signal not working hazzard lights work. ive heard turn signal relay under steering wheel cannot find. what should i do?
  • dodgeohdodgeoh Member Posts: 9
    All ... My wife had the same issue, and picked-up on it seemed like after filling it with gas. She said she was "topping-off" the tank each time she filled it, and thought that may have been it. I must say I am a skeptic, however since she has stopped that practice, it has not happened again. Maybe something to try?
  • sfertichsfertich Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem. Did you find a solution?
    We replaced the car battery today and now the cd player does not work. When I open the driver side door I here the disc's shuffling also. What did you do to solve the problem?

Thanks for any help

sfertich@comcast.net
  • medlinmedlin Member Posts: 1
    Just had the exact same thing happen to me on my 04 Durango. Started last week. Did you get yours fixed? Any advice for me to fix it?
  • jchappeljchappel Member Posts: 16
    Did you ever solve the hissing problem?
  • mangano0616mangano0616 Member Posts: 1
    Our 2000 had the same problem. We tried replacing the bulb and then both back blinkers wouldn't work, then it went to the tail lights and brake lights. We took it into the shop and it was some kind of fuse under the dashboard down by the foot pedals.
  • ripsterripster Member Posts: 2
    It is 5 Mar 07: I just had the same thing happen to me. I had my heat on full tilt this morning and stopped for a few, when I got back into my truck there was no heat. What did you find out about this?
  • ripsterripster Member Posts: 2
    I just had this happen. What did you learn about it and how easy was the fix?
  • lplohmanlplohman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Durango SXT that when I step on the break petal the Odometer and gear LCD displays dim out. I have 70,000 and some change in miles on the vehicle, it has the 4.7L Magnum engine. Any body have any ideas?
  • dodgeohdodgeoh Member Posts: 9
    The hissing problem has not been resolved. The last repair attempt they had it for 2 days and had Auburn hills tech center on the phone. They cried uncle and wanted to schedule yet another visit to replace the blower motor. I am SURE that isn't the issue. Also still have not fixed the creaking seat back on the passenger front seat. I have to say this has not been a good showing for Dodge.
  • thunderchild1thunderchild1 Member Posts: 5
    I have had 2 Durango's. No problems with either of them. Good solid transpotation. I have heard alot about the locks and window motors but I for one have had no problems. My second one is doing great now with 88,600+ miles and 3 and a half years old. Sorry about all your other problems.
    :P
  • emimemim Member Posts: 5
    :sick:
    Hello all.. I have a 2001 Durango 5.9L... This past weekend was a bad weekend apparently. I don't even use it during the week, it just sits there, in the cold... My windshield wipers(front and back) stopped working; my steering wheel radio controls stopped working, my doors don't lock at cruising speed, and my tranny won't shift into 4lo or 4hi (stuck on 2wd).. I like to do things by myself rather than the dealers which are really expensive.. Any help/leads would be GREATLY appreciated. thank you.
    :confuse:
  • les7311les7311 Member Posts: 12
    :confuse: Did you look at the fuse box to see if the fuse associated to these areas was not blown? as for the tranny, hmmmmmmmm,,, i think you have to engage the truck into neutral before you can go into "4X4 Lo", but for "4X4 hi" any speed will do.. that might require a shoppe. Check the fuse then go from there...... ;)
    try looking at the fusebox, soundsl ike some electrical/fuse issues there. as for the tranny,,, hmmmmm :confuse:
    are there any other fuses besides the driver side engine compartment and driver side inside? Those seemed to be fine..
    Those are the only 2 that i know of. Normally, what i wold do is if i cannot diagnose the problem, then i would take the truck to the delaer, have them tell me what the problem is, and if it is something i can tackle, then good. If not, i let them fix it if it sounds reasonable. :confuse: I cannot make any other recommendations at this time, hopefully someone else has a beter solution. :cry: g.l.
  • dseverancedseverance Member Posts: 1
    2002 4.7 durango has one blinker that started flashing and the bell sounds for no reason
    truck seems to run fine
    any ideas?
  • fazeprofazepro Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same problem, it's a mechanical steering wheel locking lever by the gear shifter thats stuck. You can fix it by just loosening the rubber boot around gear shifter it and look for a square button thru a hole thats attached to a slide, then sprayed white lithium grease around the slide and that will solve the problem.

Hope this helps!

Daryn
  • joobdogsonjoobdogson Member Posts: 1
    I've seen post similar to this, so I apologize if this is a rehash, but I haven't seen a clear solution other than a dealer diagnostic, so I'm curious as to whether there is new information.

My headlights, interior (dome) lights, wipers, certain dashboard features, and power locks do not work (both with keyless and with internal switches). The car starts and runs fine - radio works, power windows, gauges... In addition, I get a "Service 4WD" light on the dash, and it appears to not switch into 4WD. Other dash lights, like the parking break indicator do not work.

All of the fuses seem to be in order, in both fuse boxes. I have not modified the car at all. The dealer says there is no recall on my VIN (other than a wiper recall that was performed a long time ago). Any new ideas on this problem? Anything I can do to self-diagnose before paying the dealer, which may or may not be covered by the warranty "depending on what they find". Thank you.
  • silkiesilkie Member Posts: 2
    I've had a similar problem with my 2002. When I brought it to the dealer they told me it was a broken ground wire and rewired it, but I still had the problem. Then they told me it was the remote keyless entry that was installed that was causing the problems, but I insisted it wasn't. I told them that it had to be the ECM so they finally agreed and changed it. However the one they put in was defective and the only way they would be believe me was that the key didn't unlock all the doors. So I had to wait for them to order a new one. Replaced it and I haven't had any problems since.
  • dhoskdhosk Member Posts: 2
    We are looking at a 2006 durango with the hemi. This vehicle has about every option on it I can think of having. We are wondering about the gas mileage and any repair problems these might have.I think the mileage is @ 21,000 and were told if new it would cost @ $40,000. Can anyone think of any bad points for these vehicles? Thank you. You can email me directly if you like at dchef45@aol.com
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Used Car Appraiser tool and the Dodge Durango: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too.
  • shsmcn78shsmcn78 Member Posts: 1
    I just recently bought an 05 Durango with 64,000 miles... My problem is that when I come to a stop, not all the time, it seems to have trouble down shifting, you hear and feel a big clump when you are almost completely stopped, like I said it does not happen everytime you stop so I am a little confused. Also there are just sometimes that my brakes squeak really bad how can I fix that. Thank you for your help
  • neile457neile457 Member Posts: 65
    I know this is an old topic, but I have an 02 Sport, no problems with transmission (182,000 miles) with about 10% towing 100 miles +. Problems with the ball joints that were replaced by dealer. No other major problems. Maybe I'm just lucky.
  • tray2000tray2000 Member Posts: 2
    I just got a 2000 DD w/ 74000k. In grat condition, clean
    inside and out (maby garage kept). It might just be a tire problem but im getting a vibration at about 50mph.Gets worse at 60. A little better at 70. It seems to be comming from the back but its hard to tell. It has Futura Adventura
    31x10.5 R15LT (PEP BOY BRAND) Tread looks good but side wall has very slight dip on all 4 tires. Was wondering if the 2000 D with 4.7 has history of back vibration problems.
    Any input on tire sellection if it is the tires.
    Also, is the 31x10.5 R15lt a 7in. or 8 in. rim
  • tray2000tray2000 Member Posts: 2
    My oil pressure guage suddenly drops to 0 at idol and the check gauge light goes on. sometimes
    It may jump back up on its own while at idol and always jumps back up when I give it gas. Any one have that same problem?
  • jcvierajcviera Member Posts: 1
    Mine to I eneded up changeing the Oil pump and the Oil pan Gasket It hasn't turned the gage light on anymore since then but the pressure still moves from time to time but not all the way to zero. You might want to check the oil pump.
    Hi all and thank you for all of your help.. Been out of town so I couldn't write an update--- It was ONE simple fuse inside on the driver's side that blew that caused ALL of those problems.. Can't believe that fuse that said Radio on it caused the doors not to lock, the windshield wipers not to work and the transmission not to shift into 4WD.. ridiculous!! AND the funniest thing was that the Check Engine light came on AFTER I fixed it (NOT while it was broken!)!! lol... after about 4 miles it reset itself... so thanks again.
  • john183john183 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. I took it to the nearest AutoZone and they hooked up their diagnostic machine to it. (I'd advise you to do the same) They said it was a sensor under and to the rear of the intake. I had to get the part from the dealership. It wasn't sold by anyone else. It ran me some $60.00. No problems with it since. Don't forget to disconnect the positive battery terminal before you replace the sensor.
  • 99beast99beast Member Posts: 1
    mine to. so I took it in for a check up. The tech says I need a new engine. Noway! so I took it to another Shop. They hooked it up and guess what Yea thats right Same story. Needs a new engine. 77000 miles and its dead. Something about a design error in 1999 5.2 engines. $5000 dollars to fix a truck worth about $7000. Can't help it I love my truck. The oil passages are clogged. Rebuild or replace
  • esdaddyesdaddy Member Posts: 2
    new to the site and not sure where to post this...but im having the same dang problems...with my 2000 4.7 4x4 im in the military so i fixed well my wife fixed it cause my hands are to big to get up inside there to replace the 02 sensor... it started....o2 sensor was bad.....only have 2 on my durango.... we changed it......never paid much attention to it if there was oil on the wires or not....worked great for about 3 or 4 weeks just enough time for me to get over in afganistan 7000 some odd miles away ....well after i got back they said it was my o2 sensor again..bought another one....we got the universal one becuase i was going on a catfishing trip and didnt want to wait for the ordering of the other one...so i had to cut the wires again.... well when we took this one off there was fluid indside the conection ...really never thought nothing about it until i saw this site.... #1 i dont see how it is getting in there .....anyway i put on a new o2 after spraying all kinds of aircraft cleaner we use in the airforce to remove any fluid that i couldnt see..... and it ran great.....was getting back to 16-18 mpg on the highway....well 3 days later and another code came up...they said it was a catlyst code.. wasnt reading the correct out put....said i need to possible replace the cat. convertor...(not being a treehugger) and if it pollutes a lil bit thats ok in my book....well after filling up @3.09 a gallon @ 25gallon...lol... the dang thing started acting up again.....black smoke when i accelerate fast and really not smooth @ all....ok guys....somebody needs to help me be a dodge fan here....been a mopar fan for years.....still am but @ 7 mpg somethings got to give....
    any suggestions on anything...
    also on the cat convertor.... has anyone ever ran straight pipes....with no convertor.....will it work.....im not worried about inspection.....just want to get good gas mileage and also....a great running car...will there be any problems? can you help..... esdaddy@zoomninternet :confuse:
  • esdaddyesdaddy Member Posts: 2
    can you guys give me a call as well...i can give my # its driving me crazy.... esdaddy@zoominternet.net
  • jhtufanojhtufano Member Posts: 2
    Hi - I have a 2000 Durango, 4.7L engine, full time 4WD, 127K miles and I have a tapping sound coming from the right side (passenger side) of the engine. When the engine is idling the sound is minimal, when the engine accelerates or driven under load (up a hill) engine rattles and taps like a diesel... It sounds like a valve tap or a busted lifter.

I have the valve covers off, injectors removed, throttle body removed, and the timing chain cover is off... Suggestions received so far vary all over the place and I am trying to take an orderly approach to solving the problem. I want to look at the lower cost problems 1st and replace the motor as a last ditch effort.

A recent suggestion is that it might be a hydraulic lash adjuster gone bad... Do they tap like a valve tap when they fail?

My visual inspection shows the cam is in good shape (no excessive wear) rocker arms/springs intact, and timing chain does not seem to be worn, the tensioners and guides seem to be in good shape... The passenger side secondary timing chain seems to have a bit more free play than the driver’s side. Can anyone comment on what level of secondary timing free play is acceptable?

Please offer suggestions on possible causes and the timing chain and hydraulic lash adjuster questions posted above.

Thanks.

JT
    :)
  • dodge01driverdodge01driver Member Posts: 12
    OK guys ... here is one. I come out of the store and behold.. Sentry key does not unlock the doors. Maybe battery in Sentry key, NO. I then found (once I got home) that transfer case switch indicator no light, no head lights, no dome lights and rear window wipers don't work either. BUT ... when I disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and then reconnect ... everything works great. So needless to say all fuses are good. after driving a couple times, I am right back with the problem. So at this time .. I am only aware of the temporary fix. ANY IDEAS
    I have the same problem .... what is a ECM ???
  • steelman4steelman4 Member Posts: 4
    Hello all! Well, i had a issue with the Durango not idling. this was a on and off issue. could not get it fixed. Once the motor warmed up, seemed better. Now, this has went on for 5k miles. (my wifes Durango) so you can imagine the hell i took from it. dealer said they was nothing wrong. change gas, tune-ups, whole 9 yards. Now for the good stuff. the tranny started acting up. would not shift out of 1st gear. you stop place in park, put back in drive would work, then would only take off in high gear. 3 different shops said the tranny needed to be rebuild. $1100 was the lowest est. took it to a small shop outside town, told the guy what it was doing and asked for a est. for rebuilding the tranny. the guy LAUGHED at me!!!!! he smiled let me look at it a second and i will tell ya. he comes out 15 min later and says its fixed. he replaced a sensor on top of the tranny... labor was the highest part of the bill. $20. $15 for the part. not only did it fix the tranny, but it no longer stalls and dies, the idling is perfect whole 9 yards... hope this helps someone else out!
    OK ... I found ECM means Electronic Control Modules, BUT which one did you have replaced. Thanks for your reply ahead of time.
  • joann_ajoann_a Member Posts: 1
    I DONT KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY 1999 DODGE DURANGO. WHEN WE TURN IT ON IT TURNS ON FINE. BUT THEN LIKE TEN TO TWENTY MINUTES AFTER IT TURNS OF AND IT DOSENT TURN ON UNTIL AFTER AN HOUR OR HOUR AND HALF AND I TOOK IT TO AN ELECTRITION HE DONT KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT HE ALREADY CHECK IT WITH THE MACHINE THAT CHECKS THE ENGINE AND NOTHING COMES UP THEN WE HAVE TOOK IT TO 2 DIFFERENT MECHANICS AND THEY DID THE SAME THING AND NOTHING COMES UP I DONT KNOW WERE ELSE TO TAKE MY CAR NOBODY KNOWS WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT THEY PUT THE MACHINE AND IT COMES OUT THAT ITS IN PERFECT CONDITION BUT IT KEEPS TURNING OF WHEN IT TURNS OF IT SHOWS TO CHECK ENGINE AND THE LIGHT THAT SAYS IT DOSENT HAVE GAS TURNS ON EVEN WHEN THE TANK IS FULL BUT WE ALREADY CHANGE THE GAS PUMP SO ITS NEW PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT SOMETHING
  • jinstasijinstasi Member Posts: 10
    block the tires put in neutral climb under car and try to move drive shaft if it has play its your u-joints
    ECM ALSO CHECK FOR WATER LEAKS AROUND IT WHEN IT RAINS NEXT IF YOU REPLACE IT IT WILL JUST DIE AGAIN IF WATER LEAKS ON IT
    having same problem but im gonna try loading the connectors with dilectric grease see what happens tried this today as far as booting yur cat i ran mine for a year w/o cat it ran fine a little loud then i put highflow cat on w/flowmaster 40 series muffler sounds very mean now only cost 475 at local custom shop you should try that out w/ k&n filter kit really good sound anyway cat or no cat o2 sensor problem will not go away and your gas miles will still be crappy so idk :confuse:
    without knowing more, right know it sounds like a fuel filter or something (dirt) maybe in the fuel line. check that, better yet start by replacing the fuel filter. Hope that helps