Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Durango Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dodgeohdodgeoh Member Posts: 9
    Steelman4....what year is your Durango? Was your vehicle stalling just after start when cold? I have another observation....My 2005 somtimes when just started and put into reverse, will not move unitl gas is applied. Seems like it has to back-out over a large bump (takes effort). Other times, it acts like a normal car when put into reverse, and it starts to roll without any gas.

J
    cbr1...you ever fix this? I have a 2005 with the exact same issue. Sounds like exhaust rubbing but only when hitting the right bump or rough patch in the road. Been back to the dealer over and over and still no resolve.

J
  • steelman4steelman4 Member Posts: 4
    it is a 1999. and the stalling was more when cold, but also would do if hot(not as much). by cold or hot i mean if the vehicle had set overnight, and it was the first time starting. after getting to run, would do great, if you let set for 5 to 6 hrs, would stall, somtimes would do after and hour, gut not as much. what is your RPM's running, mine would drop to 500 from around 750. i am checking with a few others who have a durango, will check on your problem if ya like me to, just let me know.
    When you say "check on your problem"....what do you mean? Mine stalling has been almost always after sitting overnight. Usually backing out of the garage, and or shortly after making it to the road (my driveway is 700' long), when pulling out into traffic. Just stumbles for a split second, then dies. Always starts back-up and runs fine from there. I have filed paperwork for Ohio's lemon law. We'll see if that goes anywhere.

Thanks, for any help.
  • larry72larry72 Member Posts: 1
    1999 Dodge Durango 65,000 miles. When starting, there is a pinging or dinging noise from the engine area. Sounds like a bearing going out. When engine is warm, the noise goes away. Been in several times to dealer without finding the problem. Water pump has been eliminated as the problem. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • lsk1974lsk1974 Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact problem. It sounded like I had written this post. The only thing is that I unplugged my battery and all this started. What did you do to resolve this issue? Everyone tells me to replace the unit.
  • nasiatka85nasiatka85 Member Posts: 1
    :( I have had this 99 durango maybe 2 weeks and 1 1/2 weeks it was at the dealer I had Paid Cash After the Cash Switch Hands And all that blassa happened he said he was going to detail it for me since I was nice enough to Pay Straight out Cash! The next day he says it wont start sends it down to the mechanic and he says it just needed a new Battery, So get it home drive it for a half day Go to sleep wake up for church and No Juice! I used a voltage meter and could find nuthin myself excepted some dumming cant hook up a stereo So I re-installed it change every fuse Charged the battery And Go to work come home to Drive it Back DEAD PLEASE HELP

DODGE BITES
  • shawnmt31shawnmt31 Member Posts: 1
    When making sharp turns the truck doesn't want to go and when it does go there is a low grinding, rubbing noise. the engine is fine it doesnt stall or anything. the right front tire also makes a sound like it's peeling out, like it's sliding across the pavement. I did check the power steering fluid and the level is fine. Please help.
  • saddodgegirlsaddodgegirl Member Posts: 1
    Check engine light on, hard to read the codes. Running very rough at cold start and slight rough at other starts. Dodge kept it for a week..changed fuel pump, coil pack, powertrain(because they fried it)finally said carbon build-up problem. Completed emission cleanse and BG throttle, which had been done 6 months earlier. Drive it a week and let us know. Week to the day, engine light back on. They want to open the engine and clean my heads...?Now at local shop..motorvac engine..still scratching their heads. Airbag lights randomly comes on..scary! Called Dodge..recommended that we take it to another Dodge shop for a diagnosis..told us if they can't figure it out, they are sorry...they can't do anything.AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh Any ideas????
  • dman14dman14 Member Posts: 2
    so the CD player has stopped working in my durango.... the dealer wants to replace it the problem seems to be that there are CD's in the unit that will not come out and the unit will not except any CD's. any one have any other ideas other than replacing the unit?
  • 04dogdurownr04dogdurownr Member Posts: 1
    The once silver side trim that is attached to the center of the doors is beginning to turn a shade of yellow/orange.

I brought it to the dealership and they said that it was not a warranted part.

Have/are any of you silver Durango owners experiencing the same?
  • dman14dman14 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem in my 04 any other idea's than just replacing the unit?
  • chocoholicbeejchocoholicbeej Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Dodge Durango and the middle dome/reading light isn't working. How do you take the plastic cover off to change the bulb? :confuse:
    I had the same issue with a 2005 Durango. Two things fixed it. There is a TSB for a new guage cluster (electrical issue) and for the airbag light, they found the harness was not fully seated under the hood. I have not had the issue since.

Hope this helps. Are you taking the vehicle to a factory garage?
  • daddycooljdaddycoolj Member Posts: 2
    this is a 2001 slt 4wd power everything. the horn won't blow on demand but the panic button on the remote will set it off. the sound system makes a deafening buzz/hum when you shut the front passenger door or run over bumpy surfaces. the key will only unlock the doors from the driver door, even the door that the key is in. the airbag light is on. sometimes it will not start hot or cold. this is a recently aquired truck and no history is known.
  • wadimanwadiman Member Posts: 1
    Just saw this post. If you haven't already resolved this, what you're describing is transmision wind-up, which occurs when the central differential is locked on paved roads. If the vehicle isn't in full 4WD mode (which is the only time the centre diff should lock), then it sounds like the centre diff is locked when it shouldn't be. Try shifting between 4x4 modes, and when you put it back into non-4x4 mode (can't remember what this is called on the Durango)try driving back and forth a couple of times. If still stuck, drive the vehicle slowly to a workshop.
  • kinkkink Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 durango 4.7 eng 4x4. when i crank the eng it wont start then i crank the eng a second time it starts up right away but run a little rough anyone ever have this problem?
  • daddycooljdaddycoolj Member Posts: 2
    This is a 2001 SLT 4.7L 4wd. I bought it about a month ago. I don't know much history about it. It has 108,000 miles on it. After its driven for a short time it will not start. It has not stalled while driving but when I turn it off it will crank but sometimes will not start. If I turn the key off and on several times it will start up, but some times it can take 30 mins. of trying. As I said in an earlier post there are other odd electrical issues. I don't take my cars to dealerships because they guess at the problem and "let's try this part" at my expence. I need a fix soon as this wife's kid taxi.
  • slugbugsilverslugbugsilver Member Posts: 1
    We have a 1999 V8 5.2L that will not idle unless your foot is on the gas. The problem worsens when the weather changes.

We have replaced the Idle Air Control Valve, the TPS, and reset the ECU countless times.

Is there somebody else with this problem that has a resolution? Will replacing the O2 sensors fix it?

The AC pump has also gone out. It whines (loudly) when it is turned on. Is there a specific part that I could replace rather than forking out the dough for a new compressor? :confuse:
  • buchanangw47buchanangw47 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem, except the lights would go out the wipers would quit working and the remote key also quit working. I have a manual so I traced it to the central control module, once I replaced that everything worked.

Gary
  • dodge01driverdodge01driver Member Posts: 12
    Buchanangw47, I have a question. When you replaced the central control module ... did you have it replaced at the dealer or what? AND how much did they charge you ????????? Thanks BIG TIME dodge01driver
  • 99skulls99skulls Member Posts: 1
    The ABS light and the Brake like came on the other day and stayed on (1999 Durango). I restarted the engine throughout the day and all, say four times the two stayed on. However this morning when I started the engine, they both turned off. A glitch or a fault in the brakes?
  • tonystewart20tonystewart20 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Dodge Durango 5.7. When I drive the car a "dinging" sound comes from the truck and the check gages light comes on. The oil pressure gage will be at 0 and the water temperature gage will be at the highest i think 280. Then after about 3 secounds it all goes back to normal for the time being. Then about a minute later it all happens again. :mad: does anyone one have the same problem.. Thank you a lot!!!!!!
  • felixmfelixm Member Posts: 1
    My Durango has 107,000 miles. So for knock on wood I haven't had a problem. My wife drives it to work 3 days a week for 60 miles round trip. Most of her dirving is highway miles. My check engine light went on and she took it to the dealer. It turned out that two hoses needed to be replace for vaccume canister and leak detection pump.Lets not talk about what I paid for labor.The dealer is telling me that I will need the steering gear assembly,which will cost an arm. Has anyone needed to replace this before. I also wonder with so many miles what can I look for to avoid any major breakdowns?
  • ahtracyahtracy Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem changed out blower for new and still nothing blows unless going down road in the front!!! did you ever get yours fixed
    AC OR HEAT Neither blow out in my 2001 Dodge Durango

any ideas????
  • hollifmhollifm Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: We just purchased a 2002 Dodge durango and found that it had a warning lamp for the "Cargo Lamp" that would blink occasionally. I looked in the manual and it had no reference to the "cargo lamp" which is located on the bottom right 2nd lamp on the instrument warning cluster. Could someone point me in the right direction to get this fixed.

Thank You,

Michael
  • sam1778sam1778 Member Posts: 1
    It is the turn signal relay/flasher that is causing this. I believe the part number is PC507, and can be purchased from any auto parts store, I think I paid around $12. It does not look like a fuse from the regular fuse box, it is a 2in x 2in box. And it does in fact go underneath the dash. There is actually a hidden fuse box there. The relay you are looking for is almost directly above the emergency brake, up past the mess of wires, and plugs in toward the drivers side. The factory relay/ flasher is green in color rather than black(like the one you purchased) Find that little green box and switch them out and your good to go.

Helpful hint: The flasher/relay prongs match and do fit into an open fuse in the regular fuse box. Don't waste your time. I tried it and wound up back at the auto parts store buying another one because I fried it.
  • adriennetadriennet Member Posts: 3
    have your cam sensor checked out mine had the same problem eventually if your truck keeps shutting off when driving you will have to have the computer replaced and your problems will continue i've had sensors replaced, a computer put in and my check engine light still comes on
    i have a 1999 dodge durango that has had a diagnostic check and it reads "no bus' does anyone know what i can do about the problem. I've had a new computer put in it and several other things done to it. i've also had some sensors replaced. it runs real rough and the check engine light, brake light, and ABS light. have spent a lot of money and do not want to spend a lot more. Can any one tell me what the "no bus" means and what i am supposed to do about it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    "No bus" means the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) isn't communicating with the rest of the system. The cause may be a short circuit in one of the sensors. Hopefully, one of the experts here can help. Anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Could the sensors that has the short circuit be either the throttle position sensor or the crank or cam sensor. It also backfires at a certain speed when i take foot off gas pedal
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Yes, that's possible but we really need some input here from people who know the Durango's technical details.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • dodgeman98dodgeman98 Member Posts: 1
    HI EVERYONE, I HAVE A 1998 DODGE DURANGO IT HAS AROUND 105,000 MILES ON IT. hAVENT HAD MUCH TROUBLE AT ALL WITH IT.BUT RECENTLY I HAVE BEEN HAVING TROUBLE WITH MY SPEED
    ODOMETER AT SLOW SPEEDS IT DOESNT REGISTER AT ALL UNTIL YOU
    GET UP TO ABOUT 40 MPH THEN IT ACTS FINE UNTIL YOU REDUCE
    SPEED TO BELOW 35 TO 40 MPH THEN IT GOES TO ZERO. iS THERE A
    SENSOR OR SOMETHING THATS GOING BAD? THE ODOMETER SEEMS TO
    WORK JUST FINE LEADING ME TO THINK ITS NOT THE CABLE. THANKS
    DODGEMAN98
  • nomoredodge1nomoredodge1 Member Posts: 3
    My durango kept stalling at red lights, stop signs, and when I reversed. I went to take it to the dealer and they said I needed a $800 tune up and work up. So I rented a car and as soon as I got my car it stalled again. Took it back to dodge and they said my TPS failed. I had to pay $400 again for something they overlooked the first time I brought it in. I am not taking my car backto Homestead Spitzer Dodge in Miami, Fl
  • durango1183durango1183 Member Posts: 2
    Yea the factory changed the part #s on this item and said it was to close to the radiator its the little device that sits in front of the radiator.Sometimes they fall off and alot off times it is a short in the wiring
  • walkerdwalkerd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Durango 4x4 SLT which I love to death but I keep getting faults with it that I cant seem to get corrected.
    1) My ABS light comes on when driving over 30mph, but when I shut down and restart the light goes away so they cant diagnose the problem. I have replaced the rear speed sensor and still nothing, I had a whole new rear end assembly put in and all and it went away for a bit but is now back. I heard there are two speeds sensors up front also but don't really know where they are so I cant find them and every time I take it to a dealer or shop they always try to charge me for something else major that is supposedly failing on my Durango so I would rather do it myself if possible.
    2) When driving on the Highway sometimes my engine will seem like its missing/cutting out my rpms will flicker up and down and sometimes it will even make my truck shake. It also has stalled on me a couple times and not started for a while afterwards, and when it does start back up after it stalling I usally have to give it gas to keep it running for a few mins until it idles normal again. Once again its not a constant thing so their test machines cant find the problem.
    LAST BUT NOT LEAST: When I frist bought my Durango used it ran smooth on the road at high speeds, now I have a vibration that no one can find, I have put new tires on, had my tires and wheels balanced, replaced my whole rear end axle assembly as I stated before, new shocks, new ball joints upper and lower, (almost my whole under carriage is new, they took my wife for a ride when I was deployed to Iraq and had her pay about 6000 for almost new complete undercarriage because they told her it was going to break on her, and some of the work I had done before I left) checked for alignment (which they said I didn't need) and yet I still have a vibration when driving at 50mph+.
    I have spent alot of money already and don't have the money to spend much more. But I love my Durango and want to keep it so if you can please help me with these issues I will be forever in debt, also sorry if there was posting on this stuff before which I saw some where close but no answers for them. And for it being so long. Thanks
  • lilshitsterlilshitster Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Dodge Durango and the turn signals when switched on stay constant and wont blink. I haven't checked the emergency flashers in a couple of weeks, but when I did check them they would blink for a little while and then stay constant. I have been told that the flasher relay is causing this and the only place I can get it from is the Dodge Service/Dealer and it can run me between $50-$70 just for the part. When stopped it seems to be idling rough. I also believe that there is a factory installed alarm/auto starter on it and if I use the automatic start the check engine light comes on. If anyone knows what could be causing any of these 3 things and possibly knows how to get them fixed could you please let me know.
  • knuckles2knuckles2 Member Posts: 1
    hi, i was just wondering if anyone ever lowered the brake pedal on a 1999 durango. i used to have a ford ranger, and i'm used to the pedals being right next to each other. the pedal in the durango is about 5 or 6 inches above the gas pedal, and it annoys me to have to keep moving my entire leg in order to brake. i feel like im gonna get in an accident one day. ha ha. i heard the newr models have adjustable pedals, and i was wondering if the old ones did as well.
  • mack285mack285 Member Posts: 1
    where is the fuel filter for a 2005 dodge durango located?
  • mbgc1mbgc1 Member Posts: 6
    The tires on the 2005 are 265/65-17. I was offered for free 4 used but in good condition 215/65-17. I need tires desperately. I checked some tire sites and all I can find is that it will throw off my spedometer by 8%. So when it says 60 I am going 54. So can it be done safetly and do you think a tire shop will do it for me? :confuse:
  • rockjawrockjaw Member Posts: 1
    99' Durango 5.9L, Idle is running rough. Sometimes wont start, high RPM once started. I've replaced the idle control valve, the problem goes away temporarily, but the check engine light stays on. Anyone have any ideas?
  • redheadoredheado Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Durango used 2 weeks ago. It was fine and then 1 week ago it just would not start. It makes a continouis clicking noise when you turn the key to the on position until you release the key. We thought that the starter was not engageing into the flywheel and replaced that but then it was still doing it. So we replaced the relay, no luck there either. Any thoughts?

Blessings, Kim
  • bigtanklucasbigtanklucas Member Posts: 1
    i just put new break pads on it and it stillmakeing a grinding noce out of the passengerside tire and i dont now what it could be if u can help me
  • jchappeljchappel Member Posts: 16
    Did you ever figure out where the fuel filter is located? I would like to change mine out as well, but can't find it.
  • les7311les7311 Member Posts: 12
    the fuel filter for the 1998 to 2003 durangos are located on top of he gas tank. you will have to drop the tank to get to it. ther are other things that must happen to do so, but that is the location.

Buy a "Haynes Repair Manual" and that can walk you through the process. I did one on a 2000 escalade,, hardest part was cyphering out the gas and not smelling like gas for several days.

g.l. ;)
    What about a fuel filter for 2004 and up? There isn't a repair manual even available yet.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You might find Durango info in one of the links in the Online Repair Manuals guide.
  • kklapperich1kklapperich1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Dodge Durango. The weather has turned cold here in Missouri and I have noticed that my truck appears to need water in the radiator. I'm not one to wait for my lights to come on, I check my fluids often. My husband is the one that maintains my vehicle but he is deployed so it has been some time since I have done much other than add gas or oil to my truck. I'm not sure anymore how to go about doing the antifreeze for the cold weather or if the truck should be running while you add it or what. Plus I've seen that there is a specific antifreeze for the Durango. If you could help me out with this I would appreciate it. Thank you. kklapperich1
    My wife is deployed as well. No fun on our end either. My suggestion to you would be to go to an Auto Zone or something similar and have them help you. If you choose to do it yourself, you want to add the antifreeze to the overflow reservoir, not directly into the radiator. There will be a full line that you should not go over. Do it when the vehicle is cool and off. I buy the antifreeze that is already mixed because of the convenience. Any auto parts store can help you pick out the right product for your vehicle. I'm using Prestone in my '04.
  • 98durangoslt98durangoslt Member Posts: 2
    12/10/07 Did you ever get any responses to this? My 98 Durango has been doing the same thing for probably 6 months. If I turn off and restart the engine (reboot the computer) it usually clears it for awhile. But not always. Sometimes, these lights don't illuminate for weeks, then they act up again. The ABS still works (I tried to lock 'em up), but the lights are distracting. I assume this is a computer problem, but I refuse to go to the dealer (crooks), and my shade tree guy isn't really a computer guy. With 172,000 miles, it's not worth much, but cosmetically it's perfect and the engine is strong w/no oil consumption. Many parts replaced over the years, so I really want to keep it. If you get this, please reply directly to: christopher.dimmich@pgnmail.com