Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Sedans: My Best Choice for Fuel Economy?

bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
edited March 2014 in Honda
With the miles being racked up on my Tercel (131K now), I thought it might be a good idea to start looking for a replacement. Considering our now European-like gas prices, the Tercel's replacement will have to be capable of achieving at least high 30's on the highway, and preferably 40's. I'm looking for something for less than $8K, which means it will have to be used and it won't be a hybrid. It also has to be at least as reliable as the Tercel, which rules out many small cars. That pretty much narrows down my choices to the Echo, Corolla, and Civic. I also want a manual transmission as these subcompacts seem to be very doggy with automatics, the fuel economy tends to be better with manuals, and manuals seem to last longer.

Maybe the most recent spike in gas prices has the prices of these small cars higher than normal, but the Civic seems to be priced abnormally higher than the rest. The Civic is definitely a well built car, but I think the prices are unjustifiably high. That pretty much leaves my choices down to the Echo and the Corolla.

The Echo would be awesome for fuel economy, but there seems to be very few of them, and of the ones you can find, every single one of them has had an auto tranny. Yuk! There seems to be lot of Corollas available, but the vast majority of them are also autos. Are people too lazy to shift these days? Any other suggestions?

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    at this time of rising fuel prices. I altered the title and moved it to the more appropriate Comparisons board so others can participate and benefit.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    Let's get this topic rolling! I would think with gas prices as high as they are, this would be a hot topic.
  • chidorochidoro Member Posts: 125
    Your choices are pretty narrow and a lot of smaller cars really don't get the gas mileage you'd think they would. You have picked the three cars with high mileage and good reliability records. A diesel Jetta gets great mpg but I wouldn't know about the price or if it would meet your reliability criteria. If you are having trouble finding a manual echo or corolla, you might want to look at the civic again. While they may be a little more pricy, there are probably a whole lot more manuals out there. And manuals do resell for lower prices typically.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    What about the Mazda 3 ? Which is the replacement for the Protege. It is listed as one of the best all around small sedans.Great comfort, handling and performance. Rates high in the fun to drive factor. Very good reliability and gas mileage.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • zoomzoomitiszoomzoomitis Member Posts: 45
    Yeah, but your not gonna get one for under 8k on the used market which is what that first post was lookin' for. I'd suggest going back and taking a hard look at those used Zoomer Protege's. My '00 LX has been bulletproof (at 175,000 and still zoomin!) and highway commutin' is definitely upper 30's mpg with the 5 speed. Now do consider it ain't a race car under the hood. Think ol' Mary the Mazda is rated around 105 ponies. Not exactly rocket material. But I do think it rates well on reliability AND gas mileage. Oh, did I mention she corners like the day she came off the line? Yep, still zooooooooooomin'!
    At 105 ponies, it should feel peppy compared to my sub-100 HP Tercel. My wife and I have an '03 MPV which we purchased new and if the build quality of the Protege is anything like that of the MPV, I'm sure it's a fine car. I will definitely add it to my search list.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Are you currently shopping for a vehicle? If so, a reporter would like to talk with you to learn how important fuel efficiency is to you as you make your decision.
    Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 14, 2005 with a few thoughts on the subject.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • girmanngirmann Member Posts: 26
    I might get slammed for this one.

Only based on my experience, I would suggest an S-series Saturn (Not -Ion). You can pick them up for dirt cheap, and I have owned two of them from new (97 SL2 manual, 99SL2, slushbox). The 99 has almost 120k on it now and have had very few problems (there was that resonator and motor mount at 30k).

Just a thought. I wouldn't normally suggest an american car, but have had very good luck with Saturn and they are very inexpensive used. YMMV

Mark
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    If it's had reasonable maintenance, and has been driven more or less normally, 131,000 miles is not all that much for a Tercel. It should be good for at least 200,000, and maybe considerably more. Given that economy is a high priority for you, why trade it for another used car?
  • drummerboy_200drummerboy_200 Member Posts: 44
    If there's nothing wrong with it, keep it. My brother owns a 92 corrola wagon with over 270,000 miles on it. All original equipement (tires, spark plugs, belts and fluids excluded).
  • usmcandersenusmcandersen Member Posts: 4
    i have had a 98 civic 4 dooor auto for about a month now and the best ive got was 37.5 on the highway no ac and the windows cracked the whole time it now has 143566 miles on it and i would drive it too cali if i had too. im from mich. the worst tank so far was 32.33 all city driving. ac half the time.
    .....to keep the Tercel as long as possible, but within the last year it has started consuming noticeably more oil. It has always used some oil as long as I've owned it, but I'm wondering how quickly the engine will start to deteriorate from this point on. As long as it remains reliable I'll continue to keep it, but I also need to have a plan B in case things with the Tercel start going south.
  • mudlumpmudlump Member Posts: 11
    I have been looking for about 3 weeks now at the Scion, Echo, Corolla, & Civic.
    The Scion felt cheap and the plastic was wobbly on the inside (of course it was cheaper than others). Edmunds didn't have nice things to say about the Echo and I have heard it's being discontinued.

Left with the civic & corolla... I really like the look and feel of both of them. I owned a Corolla in the eighties and put 180,000 miles on it before giving it to my brother-in-law. Haven't owned a civic but they have a great record.

Bottom line for me.... Price. I live in South East Texas. No dealer in Houston, Austin, San Antonio, or Dallas would go more that $300 below MSRP on the Civic. I have emailed with 14 Toyota dealers and so far my best price is $1200 off MSRP. (The Toyota is cheaper to begin with but adding the options to take it up equivalent with a Civic makes them almost similar in price.)

Just my experience... but I don't think you can go wrong with either of them... :)
    I don't think you can go wrong with an Echo either. I don't know what bones Edmunds had to pick with this car, but my brother-in-law works for a Toyota dealership. He said everyone he's talked to who owns one has had nothing but good things to say about it. They are very reliable and get over 40 MPG on the highway. My brother-in-law said Toyota decided to discontinue the Echo because of poor sales. They haven't sold like Toyota had hoped, but they may want to reconsider that decision in light of the recent spikes in gas prices.

You are right: you can't go wrong with either a Civic or a Corolla, but if price is your bottom line, I would definitely consider the Echo (if you're willing to consider used). It can be had for less than either of those models.
  • sr45sr45 Member Posts: 144
    Here in Florida, I got a fully loaded LE Corolla 06, and it was around $ 16,344.00 not including the tax, lic and Doc fee ( $ 499.00 here in Florida ) and all that translate to around $ 17,100.00 out the door. Much better than the Civic. Compared the two, and its somewhere around $ 2,200.00 less than the Civic EX. Even though you might get a better resale on the Civic over the Corolla, it will take you longer to do so, since those that purchase the Civic, pay more from the get go.....

Also like the interior on the LE Corolla over the odd looking Civic. The Civic's dash is very cheap looking, and I could not get over that fact, since it now costs more to own, and you would think the manufacture would upgrade the interior material a little bit more.
    I read through the Edmunds reviews on the Echo and their gripes are basically nit-noid things, unless high speed handling and looks are a big concern of yours. They did say the car should have the typical Toyota bullit-proof reliability. If you really want to know the true colors of the Echo, read the reviews posted by owners. They had very few bad things to say about it. Though I'm not you, I personally wouldn't buy a new car and when buying used the Toyotas can be had at a more reasonable price. Used Civics sell at ridiculously high prices and because of that, I wouldn't touch one. If you're like me, I look for the best car I can get for the money, then I drive the wheels off so I don't care about resale value. For that reason, the Toyotas fill my bill.
  • mudlumpmudlump Member Posts: 11
    I agree with you. I love Toyotas, I have a 2005 Sienna and had a 2002 before this one. I only traded my up on my 2002 because I had it for 3 years in Germany running 100 mph consistently and had 65,000 miles on it. (NO problems by the way, routine maintenance only) I wanted a new one to keep forever and I got a really good deal.
    I had my first Toyota (corolla) from 1976 to 1987. Great car!

And, I agree with you about the Honda, overpriced, no negotiating on price.

I don't buy used unless I know the car personally. Bad experiences...

I have ordered my Corolla for $1000 under MSRP and I'm happy as a clam..

As for the Echo... this page pretty much turned me against it....

http://www.edmunds.com/new/research/toyota/echo.html

I too keep my cars a long time. I have a 1999 VW Cabrio that has been a total gem and I will keep it forever or until I give it to one of my kids. The Echo just does not sound like a car that would be a keeper for me.
  • mudude26mudude26 Member Posts: 3
    As a previous Saturn SL1 owner, I must agree that the gas mileage is very strong in that particular model.
    I drove a 2001 sl1 with a manual and often exceeded 36 mpg in city/mixed driving. Highway only would yield approx. 39mpg on regular 87 octane gas.
    I did have some reliablity issues with my saturn, including a cracked engine head and many other small issues. Many of those were taken care of under the basic warrarnty.
    Overall it is difficult to pick this over a civic even though Iwas able to buy a 18 month old sl for about $7100.
    As a commuter I thought, and still believe that the saturn represented a strong value, especially at the gas pump.
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    My brother-in-law said Toyota decided to discontinue the Echo because of poor sales. They haven't sold like Toyota had hoped, but they may want to reconsider that decision in light of the recent spikes in gas prices.

Just a head's up, Toyota hasn't really discontinued the Echo, its just that they decided to use the same name they use elsewhere in the world, Yaris, for the new redesigned model.

Also, Honda will have the supposedly $12,000 Fit/Jazz soon.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    inquiring minds want to know - what did you buy bottgers? I suspect you bought a Corolla.

I recently went on an agonizing search for used Corollas, and came up short. Considering the number they sell each year, there were precious few for sale that were less than about 12 years old. I guess Corolla owners love their cars eh?

The couple I came across seemed pricey for what they were, so for a few hundred $$ more, I picked up an '02 Echo. The 40 mpg is a reality, I have got 38 mpg so far in all mixed suburban driving. What Edmunds hated so much about this car, besides the looks and center gauges (which are obvious to the eye as soon as you see the car - you either hate them or you don't) was they thought it was overpriced (I believe it was, a little bit, when new) and the tricky handling at illegally high speeds. Beyond that, it is a really wonderful little car for doing what it is intended to do without feeling as cheap as it is, and owners report that it is extremely reliable, with few to no repairs needed even near six-digit odometer readings.

FWIW, I used to have a Saturn SL2, and while it was unacceptably unreliable for me, it did get 35+ mpg in mixed driving, and I know those are inexpensive on the used market, plentiful too.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    >As for the ECHO this page (Edmunds review of the ECHO) pretty much turned me against it.<

IGNORE what Edmunds has to say about the ECHO. They are the ONLY source I have read that has panned it. Every other writer has nothing but praise for it. There is nothing wrong with its handling. There is nothing wrong with it having 14 inch wheels. Ive had mine for over five years now and its still wonderfull to drive. No problems at all. NOT ONE. I get 40 mpg driving it six miles to work. (in the summer) Its amazing all the things it does so well. You would do better to read the comments of the ECHO owners. Almost no one has anything bad to say about it.
    It gives me the creeps to have someone post they have discounted the ECHO because of Edmunds article about it. That article is widely recognized as one of if not THE most infamous article written in the last 25 years about a car.
  • efrantzefrantz Member Posts: 7
    have you thought about the chevy aveo.I recently purchaced one and love it.Start brand new for a little over 9 grand.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    then it is a no-brainer : Get a Prius!

It won't be the lowest TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) but that is not the subject of this thread.

I couldn't get a Prius because I never learned to drive an automatic :(

A shifting man,

MidCow
    get an Echo - I have had mine a couple of weeks and 1000 miles now, and it is averaging 39 mpg around town, A/C often running with the defrost, mixed suburban driving. And with the price differential between it and a Prius, you could buy enough gas to drive a Hummer all the way around the world! :-P

Yes, yes, the Echo is gone now, although there are used ones out there for the taking. Or you could wait about three months and get a Yaris, with the same powertrain and estimated by Toyota to make the same fuel economy. :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Nippononly,

Echo LOL. I never considered a Echo, even the new restyled ones still look funky. There are all sorts of issues from handling, to display layout, etc ; there is a reason why Toyota is dropping the Echo. A good Toyota choice would be the 5-speed Corolla CE or the snazzy looking S model.
    Another choice would be the 5-speed Scion xA or xB.

I liked the 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid and though about getting one. But i waited too long the 2006 HCH is CVT only. And perfomance pretty slow.

The Hyundai Elantra 5-speed is a choice for some. Hyundai relability has significantly improved recently and it has a fairly low TCO.

The 5-speed Honda Insight is the mileage leader and I seriously considered ordering on for $400 over invoice. And the Prius is the highest mileage sedan and has hatchback utility. My wife said the performance would not be enough for Houston traffic for the Insight, Prius or HCHand what about the 2006 Civic Si ? So now I have a Rallye Red Si on order for my commuter car.

The title of this thread is very deceptive ?

Is is sedan only ? (probably yes)
    Is it highest mileage only or should TCO be considered?
    (probably yes , even though it goes against title)

You know you can get a basic Cobalt or Aveo or Rio really really cheap? But sometimes cheap begets cheap!

Then there is new versus used? A good used Corolla or Civic might make the most sense.

Cheers,

MidCow

Aspirations: manual shift, relability, fun (performance, handling), looks, features, TCO
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870

Are Prius available for $8,000 or less?
    I agree: Echo, LOL. :-)

Having said that, they are not dropping this model, merely changing the name to match what it already is in the rest of the world - the Yaris. For the next-gen, due out in April, they are trading out the 2-door coupe for a 2-door hatch in the hopes it will sell better as hatchback sales have proliferated again since Y2K. There will still be a 4-door sedan, and it will still be pretty much the best choice you have in a gas-only car (here I am talking FE using EPA ratings).

"There are all sorts of issues from handling, to display layout, etc ; there is a reason why Toyota is dropping the Echo"

Handling is decent even with the older model I have with the skinny tires - beginning in '03 they made 15" rims optional with larger tires, which improved handling quite a bit I am sure, and yet maintained the EPA rating of the older cars. As for the dash layout, it will not change when the next-gen car arrives this year. Still center-mount IP.

No, I don't think we are STRICTLY sedan here, as there are good 5-door hatchbacks out there too, performing roughly the same mission. But forget SUVs and minivans, that sort of thing.

I THOUGHT it was highest fuel economy only - TCO is such an improbable guess most of the time. I assume we could consider new or used.

Yes, but not new ones! You can buy a used prius for $8,000 if you want a Gen I with lots of miles.

The title of the thread is the best mileage sedan, not the best mileage for the money sedan or lowest TCO sedan.

YMMV,

MidCow

Now the best fun per dollar car is another story ;)
  • lightoutlightout Member Posts: 17
    its hard to beleive u are getting 39 mpg in town with AC on come on be real even the hybrids dont do that
    Well what do you want me to say? I have been measuring it, and now after several thousand miles the average is just about 39.5 mpg. I don't get down to the last hundredth or anything, just round to 0.5.

There hasn't been much A/C use except for the defrost which I run every morning on the way to work and most times it rains, which has been on and off. I don't think the compressor runs as much on defrost cycle as it does when you are cooling the car down.

I should add that 39 is exactly what I would expect to get in around-town driving in a car rated 34/41, based on 20 years of driving experience and many different cars of various EPA ratings. Or at least, I would EXPECT 38 and HOPE for 39-40! :-)

• tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    My dad has a 05 S with an auto, and it gets a consistent 39.

My old 85 with a manual and 70hp got 42.

So to almost have double the hp and get similar mileage is cool.
    your dad is doing well, what with the Corolla rated 30/38.

They say the new Camry hybrid will have a 41.5 mpg combined rating. Of course, being a hybrid, I don't suppose anyone will get that figure. But if it could pull a solid 35 mpg week in and week out, that would be close to 20% better than the 4-cyl gas, and only 10% less than some of these smaller cars like Echo and Corolla. In such a big car, that would be impressive. Too big a car for me though! ;-)

• tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I test drove one yesterday while my xB was getting an oil change. Its alot more sportier and it really rides good, but compared to my xB its Huge. However, you should see my xB and my Tundra beside each other in the garage. Someday, I wouldn't mine having one to replace the 95 someday in the future. I am going to see how far I can drive the 95 Corolla.
    a comparo in MT of the Accord and Camry Hybrids, and in theirs they managed 34 mpg in the Camry, which leads me to believe the average driver could easily get 37, 38 mpg (considering how auto mag guys go everywhere with the pedal floored). Which is great, especially considering it has the same power and acceleration as the current (now former) 3.0 V-6. Theirs was $26K, about $4K less than the Accord Hybrid too.

It's quite impressive. Someone somewhere here posted that there are future plans for a Corolla hybrid, which I had not heard. If that turns out to be true, I figure it would have Prius mileage (47 or so) at a price of $18-20K. That would be a deal.

I also noticed that both the Honda hybrids and both the Toyotas now have a 10 year/150K-mile warranty on the battery pack. In five years, I think hybrids will hit the mainstream, as I can't see any of the other up-and-coming technologies being ready for the big-time in that short a timespan.

• clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154

Are Prius available for $8,000 or less?

NO, the $8000 is for the add on price and the battery pack you will need in 7 years.

The Prius is for those who what to "feel" like they are saving the earth! Good luck, because you won't be saving any money with any hybrid car.

I see just above this post someone saying there is now a 10 year warranty on the battery pack. I bet at 7 years it will still cost you 70% of original cost!
    CK
    the battery pack is covered 100% through the 150K mark. This is not a prorated warranty. For those who keep their cars longer than 150K miles, battery pack replacement costs will be a consideration.

Hybrids are good for those who need more space or features than those available in the small gas-sipper cars at the bottom of the market. If all you care about is getting 40 mpg or more, buy a B-segment car and call it a day.

Prius is a pretty nice car at $22K.

• guildladyguildlady Member Posts: 2
    The Echo is an amazing little car with fantastic gas mileage. However, since they are no longer making them they are more difficult to come by. As far as a manual transmission most people do not even know how to shift because sales people sell more automatics than manuals shift cars. They always tell you that on a trade in you can get more on an automatic. I just traded in my manual shift Echo for an automatic Corolla and it isn't the same. Much more fun to shift!
  • guildladyguildlady Member Posts: 2
    I just traded in an '03 Echo (5 speed) which I loved for an '06 Corolla (automatic) and I can tell you the mileage isn't there for the Corolla at all. (Had to trade in because of knee problems - couldn't shift any more) With the Echo I got about 35 mpg in the City. With the Corolla I am getting 21 mpg. BIG Difference and I am very disappointed. For that I could have gotten a bigger car! I am very disappointed in the Corolla.
  • kneisl1kneisl1 Member Posts: 1,694
    I think something is wrong with your Corolla and I would have the dealer look at it if you havnt already.
  • stdbobstdbob Member Posts: 14
    I have an 02 Echo (bought it new) 5 speed manual. It just turned 105,000 miles. Doesn't burn a drop of oil between 3K changes and as of this week is still getting 40mpg. AC/PS/PB 2 door.
    I replaced the brakes at 95K(very easy), tires at 60K, and today I had to have a front axle bearing replaced. That's all I've needed. Typically run it about 75mph and commute 120 miles a day. Can't beat the mileage. If I ever wear this one out, I'll be looking for another one. :)
    I hope the new Yaris is going to be as good.
  • butterflyjonesbutterflyjones Member Posts: 72
    I've been in the hunt for an economy car for several years and am disappointed with what is available. The cars MPG are not real world numbers. All cars today have various defects and the dealers all tell you that its (whatever the problem is NORMAL. They refuse to acknowledge the problems much less fix them. It's very disheartening to try to shop for a reliable economy car when there just arn't" any being built anymore. :mad: :cry: :confuse: :sick: BTW I too have hip problems that makes a manual shift out of the question. today gas is 3.66 a gal. tomorrow it goes up more why don't we have more flex fuel cars being built and why aren't there stations everywhere that provides this fuel. It's been available for farmers and their equipment for 6 years now so what is the holdup??? I'm sure it's just GREED!!!! WE have plenty of corn grown here you know!!! Sorry to hear of your disappointing MPG you are not alone. Many on the Civic boards are reporting similar problems and as I said the EPA numbers are NOT ACCURATE. That goes for all of today's cars!!! :confuse:
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I have to agree that the EPA's slide rulers appear to be broken.

I have a 2004 TL 6 speed rated at 20/30 that actually gets 28-30 on the highway, but only 15-16 in relatively mild in-town driving. My former Honda S2000, by comparison, was rated at 20/26. It actually got 31-33 on the highway, and 21-22 in the same mild in town driving as the TL goes through.

So two cars with the same 20 mpg EPA city rating are 40% apart (15 to 21) in actual mileage. On the highway, the S2000, rated 4 mpg (15%) less than the TL, actually beats it by at least 2 mpg. I could do more accurate estimates throwing darts.

P.S. My old 1995 Nissan Maxima 5-speed was EPA rated at 22/27 and has averaged, over 155k miles, 24.1 mpg. The 2004 TL, with 21,500 miles and a higher combined EPA rating, has averaged 19.2. That is an enormous difference.

P.P.S. It doesn't exactly qualify as an economy car, but a friend of mine bought a low mileage pre-owned 2005 E320 CDI in January 2005. He paid $42k. Drove it for 25,000 mostly highway miles since, averaged 37 mpg and just sold it for $39,000. That's pretty economical, if you can afford the initial outlay.
  • kato1kato1 Member Posts: 64
    and as I said the EPA numbers are NOT ACCURATE. That goes for all of today's cars!!!

this has not been my experience. i had an 05 corolla (5 spd) for 1 year and highway only driving consistently yielded 42+mpg. 50/50 mix of city/highway was consistently between 32-35 mpg. i stupidly traded that car for an 05 matrix, thinking how great all the cargo carrying capacity would be. however, i almost never used the space, the mileage averaged 4-5 less mpg than the corolla and it was much noisier on acceleration and highway cruising. so, i sold it at a good price and purchased an 06 corolla. my first tank yielded 42.5 mpg at 70% highway 30% city. my second tank was 38.1 with closer to 60% highway 40% city. from talking with other corolla owners, many of them who are committed to getting good mileage have also come very close to or exceeded the epa ratings.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    My girlfriend drives FAST in her 2004 Corolla LE Auto and averages around 32 MPG in mixed driving, I drove it 250 miles at 80MPH or so and got a little over 37 MPG. You shouldn't be getting less than 28 MPG in town, or 34 HWY.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    I'm about to resume the rest of my trip going back to miami, fl. So far we(my mom and I) gassed up 2wice. Sounds like a lot consider this. We left from south miami with a full tank of gas and drove to jacksonville fl. Looks something like this:

We have a 2006 toyota corolla le and did that in 1.5 tanks of gas. We had the corolla corollin' (we were going) at speeds of 60 to 95mph effortlessly with the ac blowin' cold air on level 3, radio blastin on volume 40, amd outside temperatures ranging from 67º to 103º. Not to mention the car was loaded with luggage. The most we spent on gas was $28 to fill from E.

From jacksonville (we stayed the night and drove around looking for dinner) we just left with out gassing up to atlanta, ga (gwinett county). We drove 5 people (4adults and me. I'm 5'11 and sat comfortablly in the rear center seat) around sight-seeing and then gassed up for a trip back home using $28 (the 2nd refill. The first was just refilling from half a tank to full. ot took $13.28) then we went back to jacksonville and stayed for 2 days without refueling and runnung errands. We're now at half a tank and need to drive home 6rs.

Days of trip: May 27- june 1st, 2006
    times refueled: 2 most costing $28
    fav features: 6disk cd changers, trunk space, drl, freezing ac, the 4 cupholders, the faux wood(fun to look at when all you see are trees)

sugestd improvements: ADD LUMBAR SUPPORT!!

This car is a hit for toyota!
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    This car is a hit for toyota!

And hopefully they will sell a few to "autoboys" that learned math in school. MPG = Miles divided by Gallons. You seemed to have skipped that in your otherwise interesting post. Care to try that calculation and give us your actual MPG?
  • kato1kato1 Member Posts: 64
    dont know if he will, but id be glad to. my last tank used for commuting to work and in town driving(65-70% highway at 65-70 mph and 30-35% stop and go in town---484.6 miles, 11.874 gallons to fill = 40.81 mpg. ive gotten up to 44 mpg but that was almost all highway at 60-65 mph. i drive an 06 corolla ce 5-spd. i dont consider this a big deal. this is why i bought this car. even with a 50/50 highway/ town mix i have yet to get lower than 36 mpg.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    ive gotten up to 44 mpg but that was almost all highway at 60-65 mph. i drive an 06 corolla ce 5-spd. i dont consider this a big deal. this is why i bought this car. even with a 50/50 highway/ town mix i have yet to get lower than 36 mpg.

You are really right. While those numbers are great, they reflect what the car was really designed for, and shouldn't be too much of a surprise. I drive an Accord, and have gotten 39.9 MPGs before (70 MPH, no A/C)...couldn't crack that 40MPG mark...I average 35-36 HWY and 29 MPG in mixed...so a Corolla should definitely deliver numbers 5 MPG above that.

Corollas are great cars, it's just a shame that at 6'4", I couldn't drive one comfortably.
    ....gets 32 city, 40 highway, and that's running 75 with the AC on. If you're looking for a manual in either the Corolla or the Echo, be prepared to look for a while, and be willing to travel some distance to get it. For some reason Toyota builds most of these cars with automatics, so manuals are hard to find. It took me 2 months to find mine.
This discussion has been closed.