Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Coupe vs. Scion tC

JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
edited March 2014 in Honda
What do people think about these two cars which will be going head-to-head, targeting the same demographics? I am not including in this discussion the new Si, which is more performance oriented, or the Civic sedan or hybrid, which are geared towards more "practical" and/or "green" buyers. Both the Coupe and tC will appeal to younger buyers (and their parents) looking for small, sporty, good-handling, and safe vehicles - with airbags galore - that look cool and are fun-to-drive and fun-to-be-seen-in. Yet not have too much horsepower to cause safety concerns with teenagers and sky-high insurance rates.

What are the pros and cons of each, and which one will sell better in the next year?

Comments

• civicex05civicex05 Member Posts: 42
    Anyone who is over 5' 10" tall will have a difficult time fitting into the Scion TC. I'm 5' 11", and I could not even sit in the car without my head hitting the roof. I ended up buying a 2005 Civic EX which has plenty of headroom even with the sunroof. My gut feeling is that the new Civic Coupe will far outsell the Scion TC mostly due to the Honda name.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    What are the pros and cons of each, and which one will sell better in the next year?
    The Civic will most likely (almost certain) will sell better. Before I say anything about the Civic, I would like to drive it first.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I checked the measured headroom of the 2005 Civic Coupe (Edmunds does not have 2006 specs up yet) and at 36.9 is is actually slightly less than the tC's 37.6. So assuming they measured them the same way your head would have hit the roof on last year's Civic Coupe too. And I think I've read where the interior room on 2006 Civic line is slightly less spacious than last year's, mainly due to the sleek new windshield (even more so on the Coupe). Something to check on, for sure.
  • civicex05civicex05 Member Posts: 42
    So assuming they measured them the same way your head would have hit the roof on last year's Civic Coupe too.

A big factor affecting head room is placement of the steering wheel. In both the Scion TC and the Toyota Corolla, I found the steering wheel was placed too far forward. This forced me to adjust the seat back more upright in order to reach the steering wheel, and consequently hitting my head on the roof. My other option was to recline the seat slightly in order to get adequate headroom, but when I adjusted the seat forward enough to reach the steering wheel, I didn't have enough foot room. I'm sure this will be a factor for buyers comparing the Scion TC to the Civic Coupe.
  • filmnewsfilmnews Member Posts: 18
    I think that Toyota would have fixed this issue. This is because they are very good with consumer feedback. Does anybody know?
  • joshscarjoshscar Member Posts: 4
    The civic will outsell the tC by far. Civic is an established name that parents trust for their kids. The better styling on the civics will also attract a lot of attention.
    Styling of course is very subjective. I'm not necessarily saying the tC is more attractive than the Civic Coupe, as I've yet to see one in person, but many probably will find it better looking overall. I think the number I heard for tC sales is around 80,000 (?), so it certainly has been a big success for Toyota. Certainly Civic sales overall will be much higher, but how about just for the Coupe?

As for safety, both cars have all the necessary airbags that parents are looking for, but we've yet to see any crash ratings for the new Civic. The tC is heavier, though, and all other things being equal, it MAY be the safer of the two vehicles when colliding with a still heavier, other vehicle. On the other hand, those looking for maximum fuel economy will tend to favor the Civic, which is rated to do better than the tC, mostly because it does weigh less and has smaller displacement engine.

I would love to hear comments from anyone who has driven both cars, ideally back-to-back and see which one they prefer, and why.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Personally, I would prefer the tC mainly because my friends who often need a ride :mad: :cry: can fit in the backseat and have something to do hince the dual moonroofs and reclining rear seats. It also offers more versitillity because of the hatch and more standard features :P . These all come in handy when being a student. Who doesn't want a little extra horse power? The tC is almost luxurious and stylish!
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    I mean and IS stylish :shades: !!!!!!!
  • djsmallzdjsmallz Member Posts: 1
    I feel from driving both cars and owning a civic for some number of years that the tC has a lot more to offer. I'm 6.4 and i thought the tC very Spacious on the inside and very comfortable. Also the engine is so much more peppy than the civic. these factors really played a big part in my decision to buy a Tc instead of the Civic. plus the Tc comes with so many more standard features not to mention side head and knee airbags. The cargo space is rediculous with the rear seats folding down all the way and the passanger seat folding down all the way to so you get 8and a half feet of storage space witch is really unheard of in a coupe. The hatchback is so much more subwoffer friendly allowing all your bass to be heard not just 50% like the civic. and the rear seats recline too. As well as the steering blowing the civic away the car is just superior in every way. I wish everyone who was going to buy a civic would test drive a tc. You would instantly be able to see that toyota really made a 28,000 dollor car and put an 18,000 dollar price tag on it.

civic-114 hp
    tC-160 hp (for less price) add a g and you get a dealer installed supercharger bumping your hp up to 210( :shades: ) plus you don't tell your insurance company about it and you still only pay 92 a month with geico for full coverage(and i'm only 21)
    Is the supercharger now available to be installed by Scion dealers? I had read about how they had planned to develop this, but I didn't see any mention of it on their web page when I last looked. If you happen to know,

1. How much does it cost (parts and labor)?
    2. Does Scion's drivetrain warranty apply shoud it fail or allegedly cause other damage?
    3. What are you hearing from anyone who's added one - how much faster does it make it and are there any lag issues? What's the penalty in terms of fuel economy?

Very intriguing if the costs are reasonable and there aren't any significant downsides!
  • drummerboy_200drummerboy_200 Member Posts: 44
    Ok, how about comparing it to the 06 civic, instead of the 05.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    Well, I drove both again yesterday (actually, I drive the tC every day!)

Lets see, some random points (this is a 2006 CIvic 4 door BTW):

The tC engine is torquier, but the Civic is much smoother and revs better. And, the C/C will be alot more than 1K installed (I bet at least 2). The Civic though gets way better mileage ratings.

the Civic is roomier up front. Lots more head room, and way better visibility. That is actually my complaint with the tC headroom (not hitting the roof, I just can't see out the side very well). back seat obviously goes to the Civic.

CIvic trunk is bigger, but tC does have flexibility of being a hatchback, but with the seats up, trunk ain't that big.

Civic steering is better than the tC. More direct, better feel, less bump steer and torques steer.

Seats on the tC seem a little firmer, but overall, seem comparable in comfort.

Clutch and shifter close enough.

MSRP should favor the tC, but once the CIvic is selling at $200 over invoice, they should be about the same real world transaction price.

Performace wise, it will be interesting to see real test results. The tC has more HP, but wieghs more, so I bet that practical performance will be comparable.

In conclusion, both cars have +s and -s, but decide which one you want and don't look back. It will be hard to go wrong either way, so let's say they both win and call the contest a draw.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• corey415corey415 Member Posts: 49
    Initial figures for the TRD supercharger are 3200 and 3600 with installation. It's still vaporware to me until it comes out, if it ever does!
  • sweetheart16xxsweetheart16xx Member Posts: 1
    The scion Tc is the coolest car out.And I love that car and am saving up to buy it so far my friend has it and it drives good and is a good size. I love that car and no one can change my mind about that. The civic is a nice car but i would prefer the Scion Tc over that. Its just the matter of what you like and everybodys opinion is good you just have to understand them from there point of view.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Also, the '06 Civic has a 5-speed automatic vs. 4-speed for the TC. I know many, or maybe most, Edmunds coupe & convert site participants prefer manuals, but significantly more Civics and TCs are automatic than manual.

Regardless of which of these two cars you prefer, the bar is being raised very quickly.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Compare and contrast fun-to-drive and pride-to-be-seen-in factors, and value.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    A Civic Si 6-speed compared to a Scion Tc 5-speed w /SC Depending on the extra options chosen on the Tc the prcing of each will be around $21K and both should have performance 0-60 in the 6.5-6.7 range. Early quotes about the Civic Si being 7.5 were gladly false.

Braking, saloom times, handling , features will then come into play.

It should be a great contest, with no real losers!

Motor On,

MidCow
  • ezpilzeezpilze Member Posts: 29
    I believe the civic will probably sell better mainly because it comes in so many flavors. However, if you're talking about the coupe vs tC, the tC may do better. Because I was looking mainly checking to see if the civic coupe was going to be enough for me or if I did indeed have to go with the si, so I did not pay too much attention to the interior of the civic coupe when I test drove it.

Civic
    Pros:excellent gas mileage, pleasant to rev, relatively good handling, comes in si for those who want it
    Cons: Poor rear leg room, high price when trying to get equivalent options to match base tC

tC
    Pros: early RPM acceleration, good gas mileage, steering wheel is numb, many standard features, good rear leg and head room for a coupe, car feels sturdy and thick, quiet engine
    Cons: car struggles to reach next gear when revved, trunk is kinda small, steering wheel is numb, somewhat tacky interior

I had tested each car evenly when driving them and this is what my opinion on the two are. The civic EX coupe is a more civilized car, but does allow you to push it quite a bit before reaching its limit. The car is fun to rev, handles turns rather well, but reaction of the car is some what slow. My brother practically had to sit sideways in the back of the car when I was trying it out. Interior build quality is still moderate, nothing real tacky, but nothing extravagent, just practical. The tC on the other hand had good torque for all of those who like that goodie goodie feel, but immediately retaliates when I try to really push it. Over 3500 rpm and the car kinda justs struggles to the redline, in hopes of low rpms again in the next gear. The tCs handling feels nice and tight at low speeds, but try to hit a corner at 45 miles, sorry, at 35 miles and you feel just how heavy the tC really is. Inside is VERY silent and rear legroom is VERY spacious for a coupe, however, some of the car like the interior door panels, and the center console, felt cheap rather tacky.

All in all, I'd say the civic is a pretty good car those of us who just want to get around town, with perhaps a couple of mods, the civic does have potential to be a relatively fun car to drive (hence the si). The tC on the other hand is for people who want a torquey BMW or what not, but have a lower price range in mind. To me, the tC's lack of feedback in the steering wheel definitely would not make this car a good car to race or fling around town.
  • ezpilzeezpilze Member Posts: 29
    comparing the your older civic with the tC would not be the same as with the 06 civic since it now has 140 hp on the EX coupe. Sure the tC's low end torque is better than the civic coupe's, but things quickly shift the other way when you're hitting anything over 3500 rpm, the tC's acceleration then feels like I'm sitting/driving a bus, while the civic is still going head strong. The steering on the tC I do not see as being superior since its feather weight and lack of feedback would actually make the tC a DANGEROUS car to fling around curves. In addition, the tC's supercharger still won't help it in the handling department nor will it only cost a grand if you include installation fee, which is a must for dealer warranties, while keeping the supercharger a secret from your insurance company will prove to be very costly in the case of an accident. The si on the other hand, will not need a whiney supercharger or a 2.4 litre engine to give it 197 hp. The si from the way I see it is like the older rsx type-s, and when I test drove the 05 type-S, I found it to be much more of a funner car than the tC.
  • dtox24dtox24 Member Posts: 1
    i USED TO own a scion tc until i got into a wreck and totalled the car i always thought it was the best car ever until i got into a wreck and lost everything. One question i do have about the scion tc is that why didnt the air bags pop out if the car flipped half way to its side and two of the sensors were hit? i have no idea but im in the proccess of finding out about all that. So for my new car im lookin into the new civic coupe 06 and so far everything seems hella better than the scion tc including airbags(side curtain airbags) which come standard on the civic...I am lookin for safety more than power and the civic seems to offer all that n more...including high mileage, all them airbags, and HP which is close to the 160 that the TC comes w/...anywyas reply back anyone who can help me out with the airbags not coming out question...thanks
    As to why your airbags didn't deploy it's difficult to say without knowing all the facts, but at least for the front bags you need to have a fairly significant frontal impact that affects the structural integrity of the car starting with the front bumper. In my only at fault accident in nearly 40 years of driving, my front airbags did not deploy after I rear-ended a van (long story) even though my car was totalled out several weeks later. The reason: when I hit the brakes the car nose-dived enough so that my front bumper went underneath the higher rear bumper of the full sized van in front of me, so that my engine compartment took the brunt of the impact. As I said none of the airbags went off, and no one had the slightest bit of injury, but the insurance company ulimately decided to total my car. I received $37,000 for it which I used to buy another vehicle.

So I wouldn't be too quick to blame the tC as each case is different, but if it wasn't a pretty direct frontal impact that affected the area where the front airbags sensors are I can see why they didn't deploy. You would think however that if the car nearly rolled over that the side airbags would have deployed, if your car had been so equipped. To me it would be a worthwhile option to buy on the tC and I would guess Scion would (or should) make it standard equipment on future models, like it is on this year's Civic.
  • tlowingtlowing Member Posts: 17
    Honestly I thought the Tc is a Camry hacked. It sure feels like someone set out to take an existing platform and adapt it to a new design and then stopped after working the exterior. From the outside the care looks hot. But climb in and you notice the doors are too long, the dash too long and shiny, and back seat headroom too low. Even the cheesy hatch cover seems half-assed. A piece of junk you have to snap in place to hide the contents of your trunk. Surely to be lost or destroyed in little time.

The Civic, on the other hand, is one of the best thought-out cars I've ever had the pleasure to test (and likely buy). The trunk seems a little primitive and it doesn't have as many nooks as I like but overall everything just feels "right". Acceleration is anemic unless you get the RPMs up but considering you will get 38MPG this is tolerable. And Honda is clueful enough to realize that every new car stereo should play MP3s from the factory. Even more enlightened, they include a socket to plug your standalone MP3 player into the stereo.

The Mazda3 and Mini are the only competitors worth comparing to the Civic.
    I said the dash was too wide, not too long.

Sorry to touch a nerve but when a 5'10" male sits in the back seat with his head touching the roof the entire time - the roof is too low.

And since I forgot to mention it, the front pillars are too bog. Maybe it is the airbargs, but I found the pillars crowding my normal field of vision to the point that between the long dash and the pillars I felt like I was staring down a tunnel the entire time I was driving. Honda also has a sloped windsheild but they foun a way to make the space more useful and less distracting.

But I do give the Tc props for looks. The interior just plain sucks though.
  • tonylexustonylexus Member Posts: 94
    and when I test drove the 05 type-S, I found it to be much more of a funner car than the tC.

I would hope so. Your comparing a car with @ 25% more HP & cost @ 25% more with added "S" features. I suppose it would then be fair to compare your RSX-S to cars that have 25% more power and cost 25% more. The results of course would begin to make the RSX-S look pale.

My point? - compare apples to apples! The base RSX (and Mini, Civic, Mazda5 for that matter)do not compare to the tC where total value is concerned (price, Std. features, quality, reliability, etc.)
    We all have our preference as to what we want out of a car and what price we are willing to pay for those priorities. At $17k, you'd have to find a used RSX to compete with a new tC. $ isn't everything, but for the subtle differences between the base RSX and base tC, I'll take the tC.
  • giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    Before you post check the specs. I dont mind if youre Honda fan or a Scion fan, but dont twist the fact.
    A lot about liking a car is subjective so dont compare two cars and tell us here that this dash is shinny , the door is too long like its a negative thing. It is for you but not for us. Maybe the door is long so that you can go in/out of the backseat easily. Dont get me started on the Civic by the way, you wanna know what I think about the Civic? Be prepared to defend it if you dare.
    Apparently the specs are misleading. I'm telling you, I'm 5'10" and sitting in the back seat of the Tc my hair was touching the spot where the roof meets the rear window/hatch. If I leaned my head back slightly I could get a little extra headroom under the window glass but not exactly a natural posture. From a driver's perspective I give mad props to the Mazda3, hands down the best bang for the buck, but the Tc needs a complete interior redesign. The Civic has a sweet exterior and a love-it-or-hate-it interior. Especially the instrument panel/LCD HUD. I happen to love it.
    Apperently the specs are misleading? You wanna measure the thing first before you tell me that? I mean measure it dont eyeball it. Are you telling me your body is the standard for measuring things now? Is the CD MP3 and iPOD/auxiliary port misleading too? Icant believe &(*&*(&*)(!
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    Apparently the specs are misleading. I'm telling you, I'm 5'10" and sitting in the back seat of the Tc my hair was touching the spot where the roof meets the rear window/hatch.

I doubt they are misleading. If the specs are inaccurate I think someone would have complained by now, and I doubt Toyota would lie.

I just checked Edmunds Road test on the TC
    One of the Cons was
    Downs: Questionable styling, interior feels cramped for taller drivers, options can get pricey.

Giantkiller: The fact that you love the Civic's ugly exterior tells a lot about you
    You may think the Civic is ugly, but you have to remember that its your own opinion. Styling is subjective.
    "interior feels cramped for taller drivers, "
    Like edmunds.com road test is the the bible of all road test.
    What about the "feel" isnt that subjective to you?
    Were talking about 2nd row seat here and here's the "official" figures and no such things as 'it feels like its 36.5in headroom" here.

Scion tC
    Headroom (Front)37.6
    Headroom (Row 2)36.6
    Hiproom (Front)53.2
    Hiproom (Row 2)47.3
    Legroom (Front)41.6
    Legroom (Row 2)33.6
    Shoulder Room (Front)54.3
    Shoulder Room (Row 2)50.0
    Seating (Maximum)5

Civic
    Headroom (Front)37.8
    Headroom (Row 2)34.7
    Hiproom (Front)53.0
    Hiproom (Row 2)49.2
    Legroom (Front)42.6
    Legroom (Row 2)30.3
    Shoulder Room (Front)53.9
    Shoulder Room (Row 2)52.1
    Seating (Maximum)5

By the way the Civic is fugly. You can say that its subjective all you want.
    Like I said. I sit in the Civic rear seat and my head doesn't rub on the ceiling. It does on the Tc. Could also be seating angle I suppose. Don't see why you are taking this so personal. Oh, and apparently I'm not the only person to note the headroom issue :"Lows: Disbeliever of Atkins, hit-your-noggin headroom in the back seat, negligible cargo space for a hatchback."

And since I'm at it, I also thought the stereo cover was weird.
    Well I'm telling you know, I sity in the back seat of the Civic and I have to bow my head while I'm there.
    And since I'm at it, A also thought the gauge cluster, stereo, trans shifter and almost everything about that ugly car is weird.
    The stock stereo on the Civic is lame and somewhat confusing but the Navi version rocks (LCD touchscreen). The gage is really wierd but I think it is the first digital type cluser I've ever actually appreciated. Till now I've bee a VDO gage type person but I think Honda managed to come up with a novel approach to a pseudo heads-up-display and managed to find a use for the long dashed in most new card with steeply angled windshields. But it is definnetly a love it or hate it design that will turn some folks off. The Tc cluster is the most traditional and least distracting. Af far as shifters I'd rate the Mazda best (by a wide margin), Honda second and Toyota third. Sad because Toyota used to make some really good shifters but fewer and fewer of us manual enthusiasts are still around. Only got to test the Honda 5speed since the Si with the new 6 Speed isn't available yet but supposedly the 6 speed is really smooth. One thing that did bother me about all three is that probably due to side impact safety requirments it is difficult to prop your arm in the window. I like the feel of the air rushing by but Iguess that is a thing of the past. I also don't care for how heavy the doors feel. The Tc is the worst of the lot. The Tc doors are so long I gaurantee a record number of incidents of smashing the door against an adjacent car when opening it.
    I found another detailed comparison you might find interresting:

Acceleration: Pretty even, the Scion tC has more hp, and alot more torque but more weight to lug around.

Handling: Civic, tC is quite heavier, so this is likely to go to the Civic despite the tC's lower profile rubber.

Features: Civic. Once, the strong point of the tC, the Civic now comes with many of the latest gizmos. MP3 player, both have it; audio controls on the steering wheel, ditto; outside temp gauge, ditto. The Civic now ups the ante with a 350-watt sound system [tC has 180-watt] standard 8" subwoofer [optional on tC]. Civic also has lip spoiler standard [optional on tC]. Civic also has XM radio [again, optional on tC]. Finally, the Civic differs in that it offers an optional Navigation system replete with memory card readers [secure digital, compactflash, etc.]. That's where the Civic takes the win. Scion tC has panaramic sunroof, but with it's flimsy shades, and possibly higher repair costs [as well as the squeaks & rattles it induces], not sure a great feature anymore. To be fair though, the tC does have 17" wheels, sleeper seats and a hatchback also.

Safety stuff: Also pretty even, if anything probably favors Civic, though the Scion tC does have the curtain airbags as an option [standard for Civic], and also has a knee airbag. Does not have the active head restraint system of the Civic.

Value: About even. Seemingly, the tC would take this one, but when you add side curtain/side airbags [standard on Civic], lip spoiler, the tC rings up at $17,750, or about $1k below the EX. Add the XM radio [$449] and bazooka subwoofer [$449] and now were getting real close. Since you can't really negotiate the tC's price, that's where it stands. The Civic's however can be negotiated, though they sell at sticker at the moment. At this point, they both still have features the other does not. Any discussion of value is not complete without mentioning Fuel Economy, see next point.

Fuel Economy: Civic. The Scion tC rates at 22city/29highway, not so great, in fact, a Civic Si gets better numbers. 22city/29highway is about what the Cobalt SS gets also [though on premium]. The Civic takes this one easily with 30city/38highway. The Civic's city mileage is higher than the tC's highway mileage! The Civic's combined mileage of 34mpg is about 1/3 higher than the tC's 25.5mpg.
    Wait a minute which one are you comparing to the tC the Civic Coupe Si or EX? By the wy dont believe anything on that link. Those are people just like us who has their own bias/agenda posting there and telling everybody that this and that based on their own opinion. Youre better of evaluating it for yourself and pretend that the Civic is made by Toyota nad the tC is made by Honda. That way you'll eliminate your bias. Whatever you choose after that, then go for it.
    Saw a dark cherry Tc today. Pretty sweet looking. Still haven't seen a new Civic out on town. The new Civic Coupe does look a lot like a late model Accord Coupe though. Looks like I'll be waiting till Jan to get my Si - at a minimum. Third on the list at the local dealership.
    And another thing, a case of, I dont know. You tell me. The specs are available for us and instead of using it we prefer to spout something without thinking if its a fact or
    not. Check the specs, and do a little math.

Acceleration
    Civic coupe EX manual Curb weight/HP = 19.26lbs/HP
    tC coupe manual Curb weight/HP= 18.62lbs/HP

Plus the tc has more Torque and at lower RPM than the Civic.
    Acceleration goes to tC hands down.

Safety: SAB/SCAB is standard for the Civic Coupe while its an option for the tC.
    Since its available for the tC, I would say its even as long as the price is
    comparable to the Civic.

Value: Now this is where we could see how tC with a SAB/SCAB option stack up to
    the Civic.
    So that I wont be accused of bias I'll take the comparably equipt figures from
    hondacars.com, with an apples to apples, orange to orange, dust to dust whatever
    you might wanna call it here are the figures:
    Honda Civic Coupe EX manual $18810
    Scion tC Coupe manual $ 16715
    Remember, I didnt price these myself, Its a comparison from Hondacars.com with
    same equipment and options and all.
    tC wins this hands down.

Fuel Economy: I dont have to elaborate on this one. Civic wins hands down.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
  • toykicktoykick Member Posts: 104
    lets see 21k honda civic si vs. 16k scion tc

if honda priced the civic at less then 20k then it would be a bargain...

the TC has strong aftermarket support though, for 3gs you could get a stage 2 turbo for the TC and run 12s thats still cheaper then the Civic SI

i dont think you could do that to a camry... camrys cant take boost...

just like the 5sfe camry couldnt take over 200hp blown but the 5sfe Mr2 could put out over 400hp blown... lol never judge to quick...

12 second TC: link title save target as...

store that sells the kit:
    link title
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Member Posts: 163
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Member Posts: 163
    Cheer up everyone. We are here to share opinion, not debating and must to win or die, OK? I am considering both and haven't test drive yet but like to point out few things:

1.) Number could be misleading. Why? for instance, the head room is measured by the surface of the seat at the lowest position to the ceiling. But the hieght of the seat make difference. Lower the seat, will force the driver to sit straight and higher the seat will make driver want to tilt a little. And the siting posture also differ from one to the other. So sitting in is more important than the spec. I don't mean the number is meaningless but need to add all factors in and preferance too.

2.) Style is personal like some mentioned. tC is more traditional inside but provide a list to tailor to your taste. Civic, from the pictures I saw from catalog and internet is more modern-ish with unique console. Honda have tried un-traditional on several models in the past including the S2000, but most of drivers still prefer analog meters for its simplicity and direct information. Exteriorwise, tC is more conservative and Civic is more stylish to my eyes. Both can be altered with accessories for your liking anyway.

3.) Safety: Both are good as long as the air-curtain is equipped. Small car tend to have worse collision results and high injury rate. Passive protection gears only can reduce the injury but can't violate the Physics.

4.) Cost or value: Item to item is one thing but how they works in another. Both have 4-6 speakers with CD changer and subwoofer if both equipped so. Have anyone compare the quality? How many watt output can't tell the sound quality. 240W is not necessary bettern than 160W. The resale value so far is favor the Civic. So for 5 years ownership the Civic more likely has the edge unless tC prove its reliability and low depreciation 5 years from now. Toyota usally doing good to hold the value but Scion lack the information to foresee. So adding the depreciation, the Civic will add some point on the cost comparison.

Which is right for you or me? Set your priority in a list from #1 to say #20. Which win more from you on the list especially the top 5, should be the one to go with. Or you strongly faver on particular one, like giantkiller, it's not a question any more. It's MY OPINION and you don't have to fight back. :D
  • pinoy_ucpinoy_uc Member Posts: 1
    im 26yrs, from california I was wondering how come your comparing the honda civic dx model not the ex or si model? because tc is the high end of scion. so compare the same catagory pls. and the SI is high end civic New 2006 197hp stock not Supercharged. Now your comparing Honda SI vs. Tc. for example your like comparing a saturn :lemon: to a lexus :shades: not the same. Im just making sure your saying is true, im not mad at you. i just got a New Honda Si 197 hp stock nov.14th i'am 1st ones to have it got it special order, you'll love it! heres a link..http://automobiles.honda.com/civics/index.aspx
    then click on (civic redesign) then top right click on si in between coupe and hybrid and you'll see the stats. Now compare maybe you'll trade your car in
    Which is right for you or me? Set your priority in a list from #1 to say #20. Which win more from you on the list especially the top 5, should be the one to go with. Or you strongly favor a particular one, like cooldad24 who thinks hes fooling somebody of not acting bias but bais in favor of the Civic. Its not my opinion its on the specs. Youre entitled to fight back but give yourself a favor, back it up with verifiable information. Not its "feels like" or "it coud probably the height of the seat".

"Toyota usally doing good to hold the value but Scion lack the information to foresee."

Forsee what? Its a Toyota its just branded Scion . There you go.
  • jabellojabello Member Posts: 1
    I test drove both the Civic and the tC over the weekend. The Civic's steering wheel is too far away so if you're my height (5'11") you need to move the seat up a little closer to get a comfortable grip and control of the steering wheel. That however leaves you almost in the fetal position as your knees practically touch the steering wheel. The Civic is a bit of a bumpy ride, especially on the freeway.

I had no problems with the tC at all. It is comfortable, rides nice, and has a lot more pep than the Civic. There's no contest in my mind: the tC is the way to go.
  • ill_ivtecill_ivtec Member Posts: 1
    im 5"10 and before i bought my car which is a 2005 civic si, i test drove the scion tc to see how it handles compare to the si. what i didnt like about the tc was that it was to heavy, and for what i think the interior is made out of plastic or it feels like it. i rather spent the 17k$ i spent on the si, than the 15k$ i would spend on the tc, toyota is pretty reliable but i dont think they are for racing, i have my civic with invidia exhaust, revhard turbo t3t4, v2 intake, teen coilovers, and with those 300hps im pushing, i dont have a problem on taking any tc. and when i had it stock i didnt have a problem taking on the tc, what really got me buyin the si was that it has a short shift trani, which helps on accl. again for me toyota is not good for racing, their good cars but not for racing
  • treetop1treetop1 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone try it with the Scion 'No Haggle' pricing? Never bought new and am looking at the Tc and thought I would ask about a Fax Attack on it.
  • earthearth Member Posts: 76
    I test drove both the Civic and the tC over the weekend. The Civic's steering wheel is too far away so if you're my height (5'11") you need to move the seat up a little closer to get a comfortable grip and control of the steering wheel.
    ---------------------------------
    The Civics steering wheel is telescopic if you did not know
  • integradriverintegradriver Member Posts: 123
    Granted, I haven't looked very hard for or at the Scion yet, but how is availablity of a base tC compared to the Civic?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Limbaugh Toyota in Birmingham, Alabama would not budge on its Scion tC pricing. I ended up with an Accord instead (much more roomy for my 6'5" frame, lots of horsepower (166), lots of mpg (26/34 compared to the smaller Scion 22/29), and loads of standard features OTD for $21k EVEN.
  • tonylexustonylexus Member Posts: 94
    "No Haggle" means just that. Why would you expect to bargain on the tC?

No doubt the Accord 4-door 4cyl is a great value and a totally differnet vehicle than the tC. Obviously, the Accord fit your needs better.

When shopping, I was quite surprised that the interior specs on the Accord Coupe were not all that much different than the tC. Of course numbers don't tell the whole story, but interesting nonetheless.

As for the new Civic. Finally saw the new coupe and was not at all impressed. I've owned a Honda and am a fan, however, I'll take the tC over the Civic any day.
This discussion has been closed.