Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet HHR Prices Paid and Buying Experience

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
edited August 2014 in Chevrolet
Post your buying experience here!!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• 61116111 Member Posts: 13
    I ordered an HHR 3 weeks ago from H&H in Omaha NE.
    I didn't want to order one but the few HHR's in town were all around $22000-$23000. Way to many option I didn't need or want to pay for. I ordered an LT1 HHR, auto, 2.4 engine, fog lights, roof rails, pioneer sound. MSRP was $19200, I only paid $17661. Thats $206.00 under :D the Dealer invoice price of $17867 for the car.

6-8 week for delivery. :cry:
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    Wow, the HHR's brand new and it's already selling under invoice? :surprise:
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    What I have found is No dealer in AZ will discount the HHR from MSRP at this time.
  • geemacgeemac Member Posts: 28
    I live in Southern Vermont and just bought an LT, list price $18845, for $17,345. There appaently are discounts available.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    We picked our up this past weekend in Windsor , Ct While I'd be hard pressed to ever consider a vehicle purchase as pleasurable, we did not run it any problems at all. Had to order to get 5sp MT wanted and didn't have any trouble with that at all. Paid a reasonable price, dealer got a few bucks and a unit sold in what I would imagine wasn't a good month for sales.
  • mdcarbuyermdcarbuyer Member Posts: 9
    Got a call from a Chevy salesman I had contacted earlier asking if I was interested in a car they had acquired. Despite the fact I had told him I wasn't interested in paying over 21,000 for the car with the options I had selected he sent me a sticker that showed a price of 23,665. Well in the course of speaking with him and looking at a print of the sticker I realized the car was a demo. When I asked he said that he would give me a $1000 discount because of this. When I asked him how much miles it had on it all he could tell me was less than 5,000 miles. I was about to end the call when I noticed another shocker. There was a $995 dealer price add on charge. When I asked about it he said it was for transport of the car from it's present location. Basically he had tagged on a charge just so he could make me feel like I was getting a discount and I would be paying MSRP for what is essentially a used car.

I've had it with GM and their dishonest salespeople. They can take their HHR and ........
    :mad:
  • zl688zl688 Member Posts: 2
    I just ordered a 5 speed in Windsor, too. How long did it take for yours to come in?
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Ours took 6 weeks and 3 days from signing paperwork (don't know exactly when order went in) to delivery to dealer.
  • mdcarbuyermdcarbuyer Member Posts: 9
    GM will again offer Employee pricing on their cars now to include 2006 models.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/11/news/fortune500/gm_discount.reut/index.htm

When I told the Sales person at the dealer that there'd be discounts before the end of the year he shook his head. lol. Wish I had waited instead of jumping up to the 300. Oh well at least I got a good price on a good car.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    Dont blame GM...blame the dealership...remember most are independently owned and operated.....GM simply provides the product to them......show around..their our deals on them out there....we found several.....waiting on the arrival of our Pontiac Solstice.....was getting impatient so looked at the HHR...in the Northern VA area..found plenty..and dealers willing to sell below MSRP w/o a problem..good luck
  • blkhhrblkhhr Member Posts: 3
    I just took delively of a black HHR 1LT on new year's eve. I was able to take advantage of the Red Tag pricing and got the sticker price of $19,970 down to a few dollars over $19,000. The dealer I've been going to for years sold all three HHR's in stock that day. They are going QUICK and dealers don't seem to be taking advantage of their popularity. I've only had the car for two days now but I really love it and just hope there aren't any problems associated with the fact that it's a first model year vehicle. This trendy little car has more features than my TrailBlazer that was over $10,000 more! :shades:
  • donsurdonsur Member Posts: 12
    I bought a Black 2LT fully loaded including Onstar. I will have every option available, the HHR is in route to the dealership. I bought it today to take advantage of the the last day for the Red Tag sale that is going on. The MSRP on this HHR is $24805, the red tag price I paid was $23240. I also got 3.9% interest for 60 months from GMAC. I bickered for a while about my trade allowance and they came up another $1000 as I was ready to walk. All in all, I think I got a good deal and I got the car I wanted, the color I wanted with all the options I wanted. I bought the car at Gwinnett Place Chevrolet in Duluth Georgia. So far so good. I am suppose to take delivery sometime in the next three to four days. I looked very seriously at a PT Cruiser Limited Turbo with all the bells and whistles, but after driving the HHR I preferred the way it drove. Two things really bothered me about the PT Cruiser, One no side curtain head airbags available and Two it is going to change in 2007. The price was very comparable between the two. The Cruiser deal was at 7.1% best interest with a $2000 rebate or 4.9% with $1000 rebate - not a very good deal from my point of view. I like the looks of the HHR and the versatility of the interior. :shades:
  • thekingtheking Member Posts: 107
    I also test drove PT Cruiser......I was not impressed... :lemon: PT cruiser was like a toy in comparison to the Heritage High Roof. Also turbo PT cruisers have had brake and tire problems by 20k miles also PT Cruiser has a horrible trade-in value. :) The HHR has a solid feel that the Chrysler sadly misses.Does yours have the optional rear spoiler;IMHO it takes away from the HHR's clean rear end !
  • donsurdonsur Member Posts: 12
    Yes it has the spoiler. :confuse: This is the way it came from the factory. I agree with you about the PT trade in. :) When I visited the local dealer to look at and drive the new 06s they had several 05s in the used car lot for just about half of what they cost new. That was a real turn off for me also. I just feel better with something new on the scene instead of a car that has been around for 6 years. :)
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    We've had ours since Nov. 28th....there's just something special about it...we've had about 15-20 new cars in the last 30 years...this one...seems like GM is really on to something....maybe it's a new kind of quality & style???
  • gogirlgogogirlgo Member Posts: 47
    How is the view out the back window? I have noticed that many cars have limited visibility when backing up... as the back end sits higher ...like the RAV and the PT. Any comments on visibility from the HHR. I need an automatic and would appreciate any comments on difference felt between the 2.2L and 2.4L engines. I drive a manual Passat with turbo and like the acceleration but I need an automatic and a car that is easier to get into due to a back injury and think the HHR may fit my needs.
    I want to order a HHR....I have offered my vehicle at $500 under KBB and also the ordered car at invoice. Dealer is telling me there is a $450 advertising fee. I have bought cars for 40 years and never paid such a fee. He told me this fee is not part of his holdback. I think this fee is "B.S." Give me your views !!!! :confuse:
  • adm1adm1 Member Posts: 1
    With Red Tag price, $1000 GM card rebate, and $750 GM hurricane relief rebate, ended up paying $15,686 (including all dealer fees) for a silver LT with automatic. Sticker price was $18,239 including dealer fee. Car was at dealership when I went in and I bought it the same day. Have had the HHR for two weeks and surprised at what a solid little car it is.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I say the dealer is blowing smoke your way..when in doubt..call GM customer service and ask...what is this advertising fee for.....go to another dealer and see what they are charging....if no fee..then confront your dealer with the issue.....seems like a way to line the pockets of the dealer....is it worth walking away from a deal...since you ordered your car at the invoice price???
  • whytejapwhytejap Member Posts: 1
    I am in the military and was stationed overseas.I just got back to the states after seven years over there.I was interested in buying a HHR but am looking for responses on any troubles with it.I know when the Equinox was released I almost bought one but the troubles with it was unbelievable. So any help with problems that have raised an eyebrow with the HHR would be greatly appreciated.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Hi, whytejap...

I encourage you to visit the general Chevy HHR discussion...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• hlywdianahlywdiana Member Posts: 2
    I just graduated form college and am looking on buying my first brand new car. Currently I own a 96' Pontiac Grand Am (which I love for the pick-up and speed) but since I have owned it since I was 16 it is time for a change. So now my eyes are on the HHR. I have done some research and am pretty sure this is what I am going to buy...but I wanted to hear from current owners what they think in general. Does it have reasonable pick-up? I've read the brakes aren't the best, is that true? Also the battery being in the back?! Is there any one weird quirks I should know about before signing an agreement? I just want to make sure that it is the best car for me so any sort of imput would be great. Thanks.
    Hi, hlywdiana ..

You should check out the general HHR discussion that is linked in message #22..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• ls2gtols2gto Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know the current residuals and money factors for 2, 3, and 4 year HHR leases?

Thanks
  • jkerbowjkerbow Member Posts: 1
    I had heard through Consumer Reports that the visibility was limited. I bought a HHR 2Lt 12/17/05 and absolutely love it. There is NO visibility problem. Mine has the electronic seats and you can position yourself anywhere. I would suggest this seat as it has an adjustable lumbar support and I also have back trouble. You don't need the running boards to enter the vehicle, but they sure do look neat. I'm short and have no trouble entering/exiting the vehicle.

I drove the 2.2L but bought the 2.4L with the 4 spd. automatic. It is very peppy and gets 28-30 mpg on the road and mine gets 23-25 in town. I'm impressed with the acceleration. Lots of wind and long highways here in West Texas and the HHR really 'sits down' on the road.
    Good handling. I don't think that you will be disappointed in the HHR

Jim Kerbow
    San Angelo, Texas
  • towittowit Member Posts: 4
    My biggest gripe with GM. In my area there are about 20 of these at the dealers. None have side air bags, one has ABS brakes, but 10 have sun roofs. Same story with Vibe.

Why people want leaky sun roofs that take 2 inches from your headroom at the expense of safety is beyond me.
    Towit
  • gogirlgogogirlgo Member Posts: 47
    Jim,
    Thanks so much for your input. The Portland Auto Show is next week and I am going to get a really good look at the HHR and maybe a good deal :-) Years ago I tried to restore a 47 Plymouth and it was so costly that I had to sell it. I love old cars and think the HHR may satisfy this desire too. My daughter drives an Element and thinks the HHR is ugly. She felt the same about the Element until she drove one. ;)
  • clarke33clarke33 Member Posts: 2
    I ordered my HHR 2LT Tuesday. Daytona Blue, Leather, side airbags, roof rails, polished wheels, sunroof, 5 speed. I shopped several dealers and ended up getting a very good deal. MSRP was $21,140 but I bought it for $19,300. No bogus add ons or Doc fees, etc. Sweet ride for under $20K out the door, including tax and title.

Based on some of the reviews I read before driving an HHR, I almost didn't give the HHR a chance. I did come to the conclusion that some of the reviewers must have been smoking crack. At 50 years old I have owned and driven many muscle and performance cars in my day. While the HHR is neither, it is hardly the ill handling dog some say it is. Actually, the HHR is pretty peppy for a small 4 banger.
    Lets face it. The HHR is an Econo crossover vehicle that is extremely stylish and has above average performance.
    One other thing I couldn't understand was some of the reviewers talking about the lack of headroom with the sunroof. One guy said he was 5'10" and his head was touching the headliner. I am 6'3" and my head is nowhere close. Makes me wonder if we were even talking about the same vehicle. Oh well, just a few observations. I'll let Y'all know how the delivery process goes.
  • swl001swl001 Member Posts: 1
    Test drove an HHR last night and decided to purchase the vehicle. I will hopefully take possession tomorrow (Thu, 26 Jan). :)

Test driving the vehicle put to rest any concerns I might have had about various features/capabilities of the HHR based on what I saw in these forums. For me there was plenty of "get up and go", the steering felt fine, head and leg room were more than adequate (I'm around 5'8"). One remaining issue for me is the line of sight issues some have spoken about. Side sight lines seemed fine to me. Front and rear sight lines are more limited, but I think will simply take some getting used to - they're different than those in more traditional vehicles. The side view mirrors are fairly large and I think will help with rear sight line issues. I also see myself removing the rear seat headrests (as others on these forums have suggested). I especially liked the height of the driver's seat and the vehicle in general - it's a feeling of "sitting up" in traffic similar to what you'd find in an SUV but without the size of an SUV, the poor gas mileage of an SUV, or the monster price tag of an SUV.

Since this is a forum on prices paid and buying experience, let me say that I had a great experience with my dealer. I got a sandstone metallic 2LT, automatic with leather seats, running boards, roof rails, sunroof, and forged aluminum wheels for $20,999 (MSRP: $22,180 Invoice: $20,647). With $2000 in GM card bonus earnings and the low interest rates currently being offered by GMAC I don't think I could have done a whole lot better! :shades:
  • jtheronjtheron Member Posts: 24
    Noticed an ad showing an HHR with a MSRP of $19,585 discounted by $2,786 for a final price of $16,799.
    Nice to see ads showing them discounted.
  • lopperlopper Member Posts: 6
    Is this a good deal for the price:

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT
    Black Exterior
    Grey Leather Interior
    Air bags - Side curtain included
    Running Boards, color keyed
    Automatic Transmission
    17" High Polish Alloy Wheels
    2.4L 4CYL Engine
    Sport Tuned Suspension
    Bright Chrome Appearance Package
    4-Wheen Anti-lock breaks
    Pioneer 7 speaker amplified system
    Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
    Redundant Radio Controls
    Leather Wrapped Shift Knob
    Auto-dim I/S Mirror with compass

Total: $20,610
    :shades: Your price is about $400 over dealer invoice...aim for $20,000 and then let them split difference down the middle...are we talking about a car in stock ????
  • lopperlopper Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the advice. I was definitely going to try to get them as close to $20,000 as possible, but I'm pretty happy where the price is so if I don't get them down too far I won't be disappointed. I've been quoted much higher prices for HHRs that are far less equipped than this one, so I'm pretty satisfied with this offer.

And ,no, this is not for a car in stock.

Thanks again! :shades:
  • clarke33clarke33 Member Posts: 2
    I ordered mine about 6 weeks ago with about the same number of options. A Daytona Blue 2LT with everything but the running boards and auto. I did order mine with the sunroof though. My total was $19,300.
  • donny101donny101 Member Posts: 2
    You can buy an HHR if you are a (supplier consumer) or you are family to a employee to a dealership which would give you buying the vehicle little bit higher than cost. These vehicles have no Mark-up and very little holdback which is around 400$ !!!!

Give your salesperson a Break, from diggin in to deep in his backpocket or atleast slide him a 50$
  • donny101donny101 Member Posts: 2
    Im a salesman, and lets put it in a different way!!!

Chevrolet Builds the cars,then advertises them so you will know they are available and as known these vehicles have no mark-up and very little Holdback! No wonder the
    Japanese are kicking our #@$%&"s Pay chevrolet!!! give a little love to our country!
  • geemacgeemac Member Posts: 28
    If you can order running boards, you really should get them. The rear quarters of your new HHR will look like theyt were sandblasted in a few thousahd miles. This appears to be a common problem for those of us with out boards. GM is not willing to address the problem at present but a few people have reported that they were given running boards by their local dealerships. I guess it depends on how anxious your dealer is to keep you satisfied with your purchase. I have been getting bounced around between GM, the dealership I puirchased from, and the district level management without a resolution to the damage to my HHR.
  • yourhighnessyourhighness Member Posts: 4
    Well in Aug '05 I wanted a big SUV, and went to the chevy dealer that I bought my tracker from 13 years ago. Yes, I still my baby, being restored now. Let me just add that I NEVER had any work done to my tracker that is why I wanted another Chevy. (I blew motors in Toyota, & Ford, so never again will I buy one of those.) Oil changes and tunes up was it. How could you go wrong with another chevy, I was looking for a Tahoe, or something along those lines, but when I went there I was not impressed with the size these had inside, so I had was riding by with the salesman and I seen this "funky" purple car that I had to stop and look at. I was actually impressed with all the room it had inside, I like the whole retro look, so I drove it. I did not get out of it until I signed the papers, I STILL LOVE MY HHR. Any concerns I have I call my sales guy and he gets everything and anything I want DONE!!!!!!!! So here is what my new baby has....

2LT Majestic Amethyst Metallic
    Sun roof (which I'm so glad I got)
    Leather/heated seats
    remote start
    6 cd changer
    rubber mats
    had them tint the front windows
    17 inch wheels
    ok well thats all I can remember so I guess it's eaiser to say that I got everything, BUT onstar, XM, roof rails and the rear spoiler

paid $22K
  • kikilskikils Member Posts: 5
    Dealer offered me $100 over invoice and then said she would need a 3% ad fee. When I told her I wasnt sure why I should pay an add fee for a car they are having to order, since they never advertised it. She changed and said she may be able to do 1.5%, but she had to talk to the owner. 1.5% would be about 300 dollars.

Any insight or help?

Thanks
    Just say no..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

to advertising fee? My husband and I agreed on that. What did you think about the 100 over invoice.

Thanks for your response!
    I haven't shopped for one... but, looking at the other prices reported in this forum, it looks like a good deal..

As you have already experienced, they will try to add a lot of extras in, after you've agreed on the price.. If you can manage to get the car without any additions, other than TTL, then it looks good.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for the advice. I convinced my accountant father to come with me as back up. It is my first car purchase. I think this has been more difficult than when I bought a house!

I will post what I end up doing!

Thanks Again
    Ok, so I ended paying 200 over what we agreed on the phone. But, the negotiating was easy and no pressure. So, an excellent overall experience.
  • shade4shade4 Member Posts: 2
    Does GM have plans for any cash incentives on the HHR?
    Not sure, but my dealer said I would qualify for any incentives/special financing when my car is delivered. So lets hope
  • hhrloverhhrlover Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I own an HHR with all the options except the heated leater seats. Could not find one with them in my color choice with OnStar and XM. Oh well. Love the car and get about 27 miles per gallon highway and about 23 city. This car is exactly as I expeted from a vehicle in its class category. Plus there is room for some gear - and more if its just two with the rear seats folded flat. Only thing I hate - there is no switch to turn on/off the back seat dome light from the driver seat. But - you caught my attention when you read the brakes might be bad. I have under 17000 miles on the 2006 purchased in November of 2005 (I average about 2429 miles/month - we traveled a lot on several holidays and weekends) but typically do about 25000/year. But at the tender mileage of 17000, I am getting an idiot light from the ABS and Traction Control and OnStar reports a problem with those systems. I seem to be getting pad wear noise - or the ABS pump is going haywire. I typically get much more mileage on my brakes. Where did you read/hear the HHR brakes might be bad?
  • 73chevyimpala73chevyimpala Member Posts: 16
    does anybody have any experience lately with buying an 06? I just sent out my request for a quote and I'm looking for a good deal. I'm in Texas and looking for under 16k, A/T, ABS, stereo, that's pretty much all I'm looking for.
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    Hey hhrlover, what ever happened with your brakes?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a national publication is looking to talk to anyone who has considered buying a Chevrolet HHR in the last several weeks but ultimately decided against it. The reporter is especially interested in anyone who decided that there were so many HHRs now on the road that it’s lost some of its novelty. Please contact [email protected] by December 25 and provide a daytime number that the reporter can contact you back at.
This discussion has been closed.