Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet HHR Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    in helping daughter find and buy her first new car (new college grad) .. we found a ne '06 HHR with in blue with LT package and remote start ... she paid $15,700 .. seemed like a good price to us .. any comments?

We also were pleased with the way things were handled by the local dealership ...
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    What was the original sticker price? The stickers can range from about 16K to almost 25K....
    Original sticker was $17,890.00
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Sounds pretty good to me, congrats and I hope she enjoys it
    That's a good price, you did OK! A lot of car for the $.
    well, we thought so from our research online, but still it's nice to get some confirmation from others out there!
  • joliebeanjoliebean Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone!

We are planning on purchasing a used 2006 hhr. We found a dealer with several of them, certified, for under $13,000. This seems like a 'too good to be true' kinda deal so I'm wondering if I should be cautious about this or go ahead. I've contacted the dealer and they're selling most of their vehicles way below KBB and TMV value.

Thanks!
    Always pays to be a little cautious, certified vehicle or not. I would suggest getting carfax report and also service records if available just to see if there are any documented issues you may be concerned about. Good luck
  • joliebeanjoliebean Member Posts: 4
    Keep in mind that based upon which engine-transmission-options included...original sticker could have ranged from 15K to 25K......if that's 13K for a vehicle with say less than 20,000 miles on it & it's original sticker was over 20 grand......sounds like a good deal!
  • mikeyd50mikeyd50 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought an 06 leftover. 2LT with auto, polished 17" wheels, roof rails, block heater. Dealer added running boards, rear spoiler, splash guards and bumper cover. Sticker was 21,395 paid 16,900. I would not have ordered a new one with leather and sunroof so it worked out well. I am very impressed with the vehicle. Already took a 200 mile trip and the car performed very well. Nice quit ride and handles well.
    That was a steal....you win the best deal trophy!!! Congrats!
  • mikeyd50mikeyd50 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. Great value. First American car i've bought in 12 years. 2 C-class Mercedes and an Audi A4 1.8T quattro. The Mercedes is in a class of it's own. However, this is pretty close to the A4 in performance and handling. No, i'm not kidding. 80% there for half the money. Now talk to me at 25,000 miles. But for now i'm very pleased.
    On the rare occaision that you want move briskly away from a stop light....I recommend left foot on brake, give gas with right...= best jump!
  • jenmikejenmike Member Posts: 11
    We have had our HHR for about a month. I love it. We ended up sending out for quotes for a 2006 model. We got back quite a few. We ended up going ot a dealership in georgia, we are in alabama, the dealership was great. They didnt have the exact one we went to look at since it sold the night before. They did end up giving a $21,000 HHR for $16,500. After my GM card rewards we ended up with the car for $12,800. What a deal. The car has a roof rack, sunroof, and leather heated seats. I think the HHR is a wonderful car and my frind that has a PT Cruiser likes the HHR better.
    Wow, that was a DEAL. Which engine / transmission does it have?
    It is a 4 cylinder LT model. :)
    I mean is it the 2.2 L or the 2.4 L engine, & is it an automatic or a 5 speed manual transmission?
    it is the 2.4 L. and automatic
    Aren't you afraid GM might turn you in for having stolen the car?
    It was just too good of a deal. :) I dont know if the dealership would have gone low if they knew we had maxed out our GM card rewards. This is the third time we bought a car using the rewards.
  • 45auto45auto Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone out there have any advice for where to shop for an extended warranty for an 06 hhr with less than 10000 miles that any chevrolet dealer will fix. thank you :sick: :shades:
  • chipkarsickerchipkarsicker Member Posts: 14
    Hi Jenmike! I do not quite understand how were you able to apply $3700 of GM card earnings to an HHR? Isn't the maximum allowances $1000 only? Thanks.
    the old world gm card you can max out at $3500. there was another gm card that came out that is only $1000 max
    For the first couple of years the gold card was $1,000 / year up to $7,000/ year....those of us with the original card are now allowed 500/year up to 3500 max and it can all be applied to any vehicle. When the run a special I suppose they do that temp add-on...that must be how he was allowed to get more than 3500 toward one vehicle? What's cool is to talk them down first, then get a public GM rebate, then get your card rebate on top! I even got an extra 600 for not taking the 60,000 miles warranty they were giving to Olds as they were closing shop....after 70,000 miles & never back to the shop...I'm glad the $ instead of the extended waranty.
  • korunnerkorunner Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased an '07 LT w/5 spd and the 2.2L engine for 12995. I gather from reading this thread that it was a decent price. I've had it for just a week but so far it's been great. I love the gas mileage it gets.
    I'm consistently getting right at 30 mpg with my 5 speed 2.2L Ecotec 2003 Alero. The HHR probably weighs 2-300 lbs more. About 70,000 miles & never been back to the shop. 13K for for that 07 2.2 5 speed HHR...that's a great price....what was the original sticker ..about $18 K ? My wife's 2.4L HHR w/automatic aves about 25-26 mpg. I'm guessing you'll get 28-29 mpg.
  • korunnerkorunner Member Posts: 2
    I drive mostly freeway to work (30miles one way) and I average 30-32 for the most part. Sticker was about 18,600 but I got it as one of the "one at this price" sales. I'd been shopping around for an HHR for awhile and when I called the dealer they still had the "one" advertised so I went and bought it.
  • seeburg220seeburg220 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought my 2007 2LT HHR - loaded.

Leather, running boards, Auto, Sunroof, good stereo, 2LT pkg.

Went through Costco. Paid $1300 below $24,400 sticker, plus I got $1500 from GM, so out the door with taxes and bs prep charges, title, tags, etc: $22709

I love it. I recommend the leather seats, too.
  • johntaiyujohntaiyu Member Posts: 2
    Just bought an LT with the chrome package, sunroof, 2.4 auto....paid 18500 out the door...one question though...does the rear spoiler option keep the dirt off the back hatch/window? We drove it about 400 miles last weekend and it was absolutely coated in dust and dirt.
    Mine is the same, always collecting dirt. I believe lund has a wind deflecter that may help with the upper part (window) but most likely won't help with lower part. If there is a spray pattern on the lower sides it may help to add mud flaps on ther rear (mounted low as possible). I don't think the design of the factory spoiler will help.
  • tbaxxontbaxxon Member Posts: 80
    Just bought a 2006 Black HHR LT2 at 11K miles with every option including On Star LEather, Chrome pack, XM Radio, Moon Rook, Cjrome roof rails, 6 disk, 260watt, 2.4LTR,ABS. Auto, Heated and Power seats, BT,

For $5000 and a 2003 Explorer with 42,000 miles out the Door.

Dealer wanted $8550 plus my truck. LOL
    Then he came down to $5500....I began writing out a check for $5000 and told the sales manager this was the only check I had. He took it. So we got a nice car with lo miles that can carry stuff without chewing up the garage.

Ended up selling me the HHR for $14000 and giving me $9800 for the Explorer. Tax was $260...

AS equipt this car would cost $25000 new today.
  • deliveryguy328deliveryguy328 Member Posts: 2
    I was shopping..and shopping. Finally found one...about 28000 miles. 2.2L, auto, but otherwise pretty basic, not much outside of what normally comes with it. Got it for $12k, lucked out I thought.
  • zman2904zman2904 Member Posts: 1
    Picking up my HHR tonight, Black, 1LT with 2.4, Chrome pakg, running boards, Sun and Fun package(sunroof and xm satellite w/ pioneer speekers), Fog Lamps, and AntiLock breaks, spoiler
    Sticker was 21,644 got it for 15959 before tax and title....17,066 w/T&T ..
    This included GM supplier - approx $1000, $2000 GM rebate, and 2600 for my '01 Malibu with 117500 miles,
    I am very happy.. :shades: I can't wait to get to the dealer tonight!
    Congrats, hope you like it as much as I do mine.
  • afs9afs9 Member Posts: 5
    Invoice: $26K
    Out the door: approx $18.500K
    Black, LT2 with chrome package, sun and fun package, mud flaps, running boards, remote start, chrome rails, gray leather with heated front seats, side airbags, HHR cargo organizer (got this thrown in for free).

Dealer add on's: PAL attachment for iPod, door sill plate kit, extra tint on windows, 19" chrome rims that I changed (cute, but too flashy and expensive) & put back on the original "star" rims (shiny ones) with the Chevy bow-tie on them.

Down was about $4K (cash, GM points, no trade in--keeping my '99 V6 S10), the rest was rebates and changes I made to car (rims, free HHR cargo hold, etc.). Plus the fact this is the 7th car or truck my family has bought from this dealer (Selman Chevrolet, Orange, CA) in over 25 years and always get great deals!

Black was 3rd choice color-I wanted a blue one, but was insistent it be an LT2 (didn't want to miss the kick of my V6), but none around. Was going to order a 2008, but couldn't pass this one up with all the goodies it has and for the price. Oh yeah--price includes full warranty coverage for all 5 years.

I absolutely LOVE this car--I've wanted one since I saw it in 2005 and bought it as a b-day present to myself last week!
  • toyoda1toyoda1 Member Posts: 7
    Congrats. Black is the "natural" color for the HHR.
    Now step over to chevyhhr.net.

Great forum for owners> Technical customizing and gatherings for owners of this car. Many TSB reports and common issues and praises.
  • txczshootertxczshooter Member Posts: 1
    Pretty much base Silver LS. Love this car and the mileage. Lonestar Chevy in Houston was a pleasure to deal with. Got my LS for 11,888 +TT&L wich was less than $500 due to my almost break even trade. Got a 5yr/100K mile extended warranty for $300 due to online coupon. So for approximately $13100 drive out, I got a fun car that's good on gas, and a warranty that literally covers everything but brakes and tires. I thought I got a good deal.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I don't understand the warranty part. Is it 5-year bumper to bumper? The standard warranty for Chevrolet/GM is 5-year/100,000 miles, transferable. If they deceived you, request the money back right away. Otherwise, have fun with your new ride.
  • jeffroydjeffroyd Member Posts: 2
    White,2.2 ltr.,5 speed, LT1, fog lights, chrome package, mud flaps. $18,000 MSRP, Paid $13,445 plus $238 for Oregon plates (4 years !), and title. Minus a $709 GM Card rebate= $12974 out the door. (no sales tax in the Beaver state)
    Price would have been $50 more if I hadn't paid cash, the dealer would have been able to hit me up for a "Doc Fee" to carry my paperwork to the DMV.
    Found my deal in the Saturday Oregonian newspaper auto section, Carr Chevrolet in Beaverton occasionaly runs "loss Leader" ads good only on weekends. Last weekend they had 3 '07 LS 5 speeds @ $12,495, 3 "07 LT 5 speeds @ $13,495. My HHR was fresh with only 14 miles on the odometer, the other two LT's had around 100 miles on them.
    I think that 5yr/100,000 is just powertrain...
    Very good price. A lot of times dealers will put those ads in the paper just to get people to come in and really not intend to sell them that model if they even have it. Here in Illinois, a few dealers got in trouble for not having the car, and some park it in the back or service area so it won't be found unless the customer insists.
    Yes it is only powertrain, but I wasn't sure what he meant by the extra money for a 5-year extended warranty. The 5-year standard powertrain warranty that GM has covers much more than the competition including axles, driveshaft, engine accessories, a whole lot of stuff.

The Chrysler warranty is a gimmick and really hasn't started any parades into the showrooms other than some customers initially. Most consumers are still not that educated when buying an auto and tend to overlook the fine print. People still only keep a car around the 4-5 year range before selling or trading it. This probably was on Chryslers mind because the Chrysler warranty is voided right away once gone. Hyundai made out good on this as well because their warranty is also non-transferable but to only a family member. They know for the most part people don't keep their cars and were banking on it.
  • stealthrtstealthrt Member Posts: 10
    Heres my recent buying experience
    I recently bought a 2006 HHR that had an original sticker of $24,125. The original buyer bought it 14 months ago. They had it marked at $18,995 Carfax said it was local and bought locally.

I had a 2003 Explorer with 48K on it. I offered $4k and my Ford OTD. They wanted $8500! Since I was in no hurry I siad no I made an offer. They invited me to look up both cars on KBB. I did. I saw ACV trade in in good condition on the Explorer at $9800 and $13.5 low book as equipt or so for the HHR in good condition.

I figured they have $12k in the HHR (What a beating those cars take). Thats how I came up with my offer. The Sales Manager was a good guy. No a GREAT guy. He took no offense but kidded with me " So lets see you want to trade wholesale for wholesale" I said "And?" HE laughed and dropped his proce $3000!!!! to $5500 OTD and my truck.

We both were silent for about 5 minutes. "I said I guess the next person who talks loses" He laughed and said "I knew you were thinking that"

I pull out a single check from my wallet and fill it out for $5000. I hand him the check and tell him it's my last check. I will have to go home to get another. HE again laughs and calls his used car manager to find out "how much they have in the HHR" The sales guy is standing there not saying a word.

The SM gets up and says we have a deal. Easy and a good experience. Not anything like I have had in the past.

Now the HHR has 11k miles on it and has EVERY option available. Even the On Star and XM Radio still apparently have time left. Its a nice alternative to the big Explorer.
    But they are obviously worse then KIAs in resale LOL

Whether or not the dealer made $200 $2000 or $5000 on the deal makes no difference. I bought the car for $14k OTD and felt it was a good value.

I did not buy the car at a Chevy dealer which in my mind saved me money because it would have been "Certified" and I am sure that would have cost another $1500 or more. Because it was at a Dodge Dealer I believe they let it go as it may be competition to their PT Cruisers. I sure would not want the chance of someone coming in for a new PT to decide they rather have a new HHR instead...Perhaps.

So yes Sales managers can be fun to deal with IF you keep it light and you are standing while negotiating. Which I was because I was "negotiating" at the "tower". I cannot stand those cubicles....and never plant there. I do believe if one is standing the sales people know it's more likely they will leave rather then grind for hours.
    You got a great deal, but the original owner may have paid $20K or less....there were red tag sales or public rebates + he may have had GM Card savings....+ negotiated savings....enjoy!
  • stealthrtstealthrt Member Posts: 10
    I am sure the original owner did not pay near MSRP. Seems a min of $4000 off MSRP is the rule on these cars. No wonder trade in resale is so far below MSRP in one year. LOL

Now show mw a HOnda that has an MSRP of $24,000 and can be bought a year later for $14k out the door :):)
  • weighmasterweighmaster Member Posts: 8
    Im in the process of buying an HHR, and have been quoted a price of 21k (out the door). Its the 2008, base engine, with On star, Side air bags, chrome extras, steel wheels, ABS, luggage rack... THe MSRP on the window says around 21k, so Im saving around 2,000 with this price, but I wonder if I could get a better deal. Is 21k out the door a good price?
    Well the 2007 has a $1,500 rebate right now. The 2008 won't have rebates for a while, so $2,000 off isn't bad. That's almost 10% off which is about normal for this price range. You may be able to do a little more, but thats pretty close.
  • weighmasterweighmaster Member Posts: 8
    Got a 2008 LT, with roof rack, chrome package, chrome rims, for 19,500 out the door. MSRP was $19,900
    Not a bad price out the door. I hear people are getting real good mileage with those. I like them a lot and have driven a few, but right now I am finding it hard to part with my paid for 92 S10 p/u. I don't have a garage for something new, and where I live people and animals will scratch your car so that is another good thing for having something old.
This discussion has been closed.