Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 6-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• mpdreamermpdreamer Member Posts: 6
    Car_man

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your willingness to help. The residual that I was given by the dealer for '06 was 61% because it was a 10K Maximum. I am flexible as to whether the car I lease is an '06 or '07, provided the premium for the '07 is not too high. Again, many thanks.
  • drleasedrlease Member Posts: 7
    knottyhottie,

You CAN get money off on the 07 models right now. Not only that, but you can get a lower money factor than BMW FS. I work for a leasing company and we offer 2007 650's at $2000 off MSRP. Not only that, but we can get a .00309 MF on these cars.
    the BMW FS Program on these cars is NOT the way to go.
  • knottyhottieknottyhottie Member Posts: 7
    Drlease,

I've asked around a couple dealers and they don't have the 2007 650 in stock yet. Does a leasing company get access to certain cars before the dealership does? Or has the 07 650 been released in certain parts of the country already? I'm in Southern California. Also, do you have any leasing companies you can rec? Thanks for your help =)
    I really appreciate your help and input on all these leasing questions from me! =) I got to negotiate with a local dealer on the 07 coupe which I realize would be best for me to get. MSRP is $80,240 and the residual is 55% at $44,132. The adjusted cost that they're giving me is $76,815.88. The money factor is 0.00340 for 3 years, 15K miles. They said they need $4,500 down and my monthly payment will be $1,319.11 before taxes.
    Does that sound right to you? Do you think I can negotiate down some more?? Any advice is welcome and appreciated! TIA
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    You're welcome, knottyhottie. If there is a huge difference between the selling price that you can negotiate on a 2006 model and the price that this dealer is willing to sell a 2007 model for it might be worth your while to lease a leftover '06 model. I would be happy to calculate sample lease payments on both a 2006 model and a 2007 model to show you what the difference would be like if you provide me with their MSRPs and selling prices.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Wow, those certainly are some huge monthly payments, raja2. Given this car's lack of lease support and extremely high price, it definitely is going to be expensive to lease. I would be happy to use BMW's current lease program to estimate what your monthly payment should be like on the car that you are interested in right now. It would be a big help if you would provide me with its full MSRP and approximate selling price first though.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You're welcome, mpdreamer. BMW Financial Services' 36 month, 10,000 mile per year residual value for a 2007 BMW 650Ci is 58%. The residual for an otherwise identical lease off a 2006 model is 56%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    No problem, knottyhottie. The dealer really doesn't need a $4,500 down payment. They are just asking you for one to make your vehicle's monthly payment look more reasonable. It is actually in your best interest as a consumer not to make any sort of down payment. I always advise consumers not to make down payments when leasing because if their leased vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered, their down payment essentially disappears.

The selling price that you were quoted for this car is reasonable IF it does not take the large down payment that you were asked for into account. I think that the money factor that you were quoted is slightly high, but not horrible. I just double checked the payment that you were quoted and came up with the exact $1,319.11 that you were told. So the bottom line is that this is a good payment for a lease with no down payment, but not a very good one for a lease with a $4,500 down payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi Car_man,
    Thanks for getting back to me! =)
    I think I found a better deal at a different dealership. The msrp on this car is $81,440 and their giving it to me for $79,500 but the difference is it's a 39 month lease whereas the other dealer gave me a 36 month lease. I would prefer to have it for less months, but the money factor this dealer gave me is .00259. The GM said he'll get me the lease for $1,355. Does that sound about right to you?
    Do you think I can negotiate lower??? Thanks!
    Knottyhottie,

How much is due at inception? My leading bank usually does better. With $0 cap reduction, the payment is $1391.55+Tax, total due at inception is just first month and CA license Plates. If you tell me what county you are in I can give you with Tax. If that price includes tax with no money down, you have a winner. :)
    No problem, knottyhottie. It sounds like this deal is being run through a bank other than BMW Financial Services. I don't know what sort of residual value this bank is using for this car, but its money factor is lower than BMW's. A $2,000 discount on this car sounds reasonable to me. I just ran a sample 36 month, 15,000 mile per year lease on this car using BMW Financial Services' current program and I came up with a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $1,265. I don't know how much sales tax added onto your monthly payment, but you actually may be better off leasing this car through BMW FS.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    It's zero down, with $0 cap reduction. I'm in Orange County. The payment that the manager gave me was with a 39 month lease, tax not included. I just have to pay the security deposit of $2,173. What are your thoughts? Thanks for your help :D
    Hi Car_man, the manager told me he's using US Bank for the deal b/c my credit is good. The quote he gave me was for a 39 month lease, with zero down and 15K miles per year. If the money factor is lower with this bank, why would the payment be higher than through BMW FS? Unless the residual value US Bank has is lower than BMW FS, right? Thanks for your help :D
    Knottyhottie,

The dealer is marking up the MF on you. And yes, USB does have a lower residual. Outside banks have a much more reasonable residual than manufacturer programs. You can get more off than $2000. I bought one in Atlanta last week for $4800 off. Tell the dealer they need to do at least $4000 off to get the deal done. They can do it.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    Ok so 5k off on a 06 is a good deal or 5k off on a 07...I got 24k off a 102k 2005 SL500 last year go figure...I guess the 6'ers are more rare.

I want to lease a black low optioned conv. before the end of the year...I'm in LA
    Hey knottyhottie. You're right. If the money factor that is available through U.S. Bank is lower than the one that is currently available through BMW Financial Services, the only reason why a lease through it would be more expensive is if its residual values are lower.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • bmw650cibmw650ci Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    I am new to the forum, but have enjoyed edmunds website for years.
    I found your forum and see you have given excellent advice on lease information regarding the 650. My questions may be repetitive , but your advice would really help me with this as this car is quite expensive for me to lease.
    My best price on an 2007 650 convertible, with a sticker of 86690 is a net cap cost of 83191.
    out of pocket is 3900. lease terms 12k miles/36 months, residual 63% money factor .00337, Is this a good deal or can I do much better, my sales tax is 8.1%, payment 1370/mo

Thanks for the information, it is much appreciated as I am also somewhat new to leaseing.
    Steve
  • doclonghorndoclonghorn Member Posts: 1
    Car Man,
    Just curious if you know what a good customer choice monthly would be on an '07 M6 with a sticker of about $109k. I currently have an '05 645ci and am in good shape getting out of it break even. I am willing to put down $5 - 10K if necessary to bring the monthly down. I have seen ads on E-bay for new M6 leases at $1599 per month with zero down. Is that reasonable??? Residual value is huge on the M's, and with the past two I owned befor ethe 645 it kept monthly a bit lower. Thoughts??
    Thanks very much!
    Welcome Steve. One of the reasons that this car is so expensive to lease is that BMW is not currently providing any sort of lease support on it. As a result, if you were to lease one through BMW Financial Services right now, you would have to use its standard lease money factor. Its buy rate standard factor varies by region, but should currently be around .00320 for consumers who pay a security deposit at lease signing. This is equivalent to an interest rate of around 7.68%. The factor that you were quoted looks OK if you are having your car's security deposit waived, but is a little high if you aren't (BMW FS will waive its security deposit requirement in exchange for a .00015 money factor increase).

As far as this car's selling price goes, you are being given around a $3,500 discount on a car that has a spread of around $6,500 between its full MSRP and dealer invoice price. This leaves around $3,000 for the dealer. I am not intimately familiar with what the market for this car is right now, but this looks like a reasonable deal to me.

The bottom line is that this deal looks about right for this car to me.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi doclonghorn. I would be happy to estimate what the lease payment would be like on this car for you. In order for me to do so I need to know its approximate selling price. For now I will assume that you are getting a $3,000 discount on it. If you are able to negotiate a better price, the payment will be lower than what I come up with and vice versa. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2007 BMW M6 Convertible with an MSRP of $109,000 and a selling price of $106,000 through BMW Financial Services right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $1,675.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • sodais350sodais350 Member Posts: 7
    Car_man,

I've noticed you're quite educated in BMW leases. I have a few questions if you don't mind. I'm looking into leasing an 07 650i coupe auto or manual for 36mos 10k mi yr, or whichever term that is 36 mos or less MAX 39 to give me the best scenario. With MSRP of 85595 I believe (hoping for 3-4k off msrp) with minimal down what would the payment?? I'm located in Central CA tax rate is 7.25% 720 score. I'd be interested in knowing the residual & MF through BMW FS & acq fee and/or sec deposit. I want the Sport pkge, criuse, comfort access, heads up, heated seats, active steering and I think that's it if that helps you any...thanks in advance!
  • marlaswmarlasw Member Posts: 1
    Car_man,
    Help. I'm trying to determine if the lease deal I'm being offered is decent. Am looking at a 2006 650i convertible with 2600 miles. Am being offered a lease factor of .00407 (approx. 9.77%?)by the dealership. Our tax rate is 8.25% where I live and car sales price is $79K. They want $6980 down. Lease would be 36 months w/ 18,000 miles/year, resulting in $1661.27/month. Does this seem like a reasonable deal or am I being taken for a bit of a ride?
    I just want to let you know, I was offered a deal on a new 2007 650i coupe, msrp of 81,500 something and sale price of 76900 only 2k down 1357 plus tax...Money factor of 3.62 through BMW of course. Get a new one, the residual will be higher & the factor lower. The conv is VERY close because of the higher residual than the coupe. I'd just get an 07 or assume someone's lease through swapalease.com. No money down and you can get some cars w/alot of extra miles!! Just qualify through the credit stuff & you'll be set to go!
    Thanks sodais350. BMW is not currently providing any lease support on the 2007 6-Series. As a result, if you were to lease one through BMW Financial Services right now, you would have to use its standard lease program. Its buy rate standard lease money factor varies by region, but it is currently around .00320. BMW FS' current 36 month, 12,000 mile per year residual value for the 2007 650i Coupe is 59%. Using this lease program, an MSRP of $85,595 and a $3,000 discount, I estimate that this car's zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $1,317. BMW FS charges a $625 acquisition fee on every vehicle that it leases. Make sure that you don't pay more than this, BMW dealers try to mark this fee up all the time. You will have to pay a security deposit that is equivalent to your car's monthly payment rounded up to the nearest $50 increment at lease signing. BMW FS will waive its security deposit requirement in exchange for an increase of .00015 in the money factor that is used to calculate your car's monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Hi marlasw. BMW is not currently providing any lease support on the 2007 6-Series, but the money factor that you were quoted is still too high. BMW FS' buy rate standard money factor varies by region, but it should be around .00320 or so.

$6,980 is too much money to put down on a lease. I always advise consumers against making down payments on leased vehicles. Consumers who do risk losing them if their vehicle is totaled in an accident or stolen and never recovered.

What is this car's MSRP? This number will enable me to see how much of a discount you are being given on this car and to use BMW's current lease program to estimate what your monthly payment should be. Off of the top of my head, I'd say that the lease payment that you were quoted is too high.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • bmw650cibmw650ci Member Posts: 3
    Carman,

I just wanted to says thank you for this forum.
    I recently found this website and posted to ask you some lease questions.
    I have succesfully got my dream car 2007 650 vert, and I feel much better about my lease.

I have always been nervous about "getting taken" at the dealers, because it seems the consumer has a difficult time getting all the infomation. Your current information on residual values and money factors is very helpful! I now know I did not overpay and recevied a fair deal.

You are providing a very valuable service here, and I sincerely thank you for putting your time in and helping other people get into their dream cars at a fair and reasonable deal!

Steve
    You're very welcome, Steve. Congratulations on your sweet new ride. I'm glad that you found this forum so helpful. Enjoy your new ride!

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    Car-man,
    I hate to bug, but you seem to be able to answer all the right questions! I was inquiring on the 650i, but before any of that, I'm in LOVE w/the M6. Now I've ran across some used ones w/3k miles or less, 06 & 07's. There seems to be quite a few around and also have seen ad's for new 07's (some up to 5k off) and a lease payment for 30mos at 1499 or 1599 w/no money down except all the driveoff stuff. If I put down 6k (includeds tax on red, lic, 1st pymnt, etc.) is it possible on a new one to get to a 1350 payment before taxes???? I really like the interlagos blue...not avail on 650i. :'( Thanks in advance, Missi
  • brandyf1brandyf1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello Car_man
    I know your a big hit on here..I don't really want to waste your time. Although my ? was just like everyone else. I recently took out a BMW M6 and a 650I for a test drive. I was fortunate enough for them to let me drive the M6 around the block. Although I wanted to lease the M6. So im talking to the sales person and he's giving me a list of quotes. Then i realized i think he is taking me for a fool. He tells me to put 50K down on a 2006 BMW M6 and a 36K month lease with 1300 month..the price for the M6 was about (102K) and I just went along with it and acted like it was the best deal. Then he tells me for a 650I if i put around 20K down then Id pay around 1000K month the whole price for the 650I was about (82K)..I left there making him believe i wanted those deal. I knew it was a rip off. Could you recommend what I should be paying on a 06 BMW M6 with about 10K down price of about 102k..If you could help me i would greatly appreciate it.
    You're not bugging me at all, sodais350. The M6 certainly is a nice car. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the car that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to work up a sample lease payment on the car that you are interested in for you if you let me know what these numbers are.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    You're not wasting my time at all, brandyf1. I'm always glad to help. Did you say that the salesperson who you spoke with wanted you to make a $50,000 down payment on your lease :surprise: ?!?!? You were right to walk away from that deal. It's never a good idea to make a large down payment on a leased vehicle. I would be happy to give you an idea of what sort of lease payment you should expect to pay on this car, but I am going to have to make some assumptions. I am not very familiar with what the market for the M6 is like, so I don't know if dealers are providing discounts on it. For now I will assume that you are going to be given a $2,000 discount. I will also assume that you want a 36 month lease with 12,000 miles per year. According to my calculations, if you were to lease a 2007 BMW M6 Coupe with an MSRP of $102,000 and a selling price of $100,000 through BMW Financial Services right now for 36 months with 12,000 miles per year, your zero down, pre-tax monthly payment should be around $1,567.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
    :) Hey Car_Man
    First of all id like to thank you for taking the time to looking into it for me. I appreciate it.Well Im going to lease an 06. I wanted to aim more towrds a 5 year lease if I could. I was planning on putting (5-10K). Ya Im sure he thought he could have got more money out of me. Like i said im young and I have money and since he knows im only 18 he thinks im going too fall for whatever he tells me. Honestly I was at first thinking of putting 50K down like he said. But then yea i came to my senses. I was going ot try to aim at 1K payments.. if i could do it.

Any suggestions of what you think I should put down on a 06 lease? for 1K payments?
    Hey im not sure if it was you or not..did you mention you were from the Valley???
    You're very welcome, brandyf1. I still think that you are better off putting as little money down as possible on your lease. You can always use the money that you would have used to make the down payment that you are considering making to supplement your monthly payment if you want.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • tonyg9tonyg9 Member Posts: 9
    07 650 Coupe
    Spt. pkg.
    Cd. wth.
    Auto
    C.A.
    HUD
    HD Radio
    Sat. Radio
    Logic

M.S.R.P. 81,440
    Neg. Price 77,000
    Resi. 59%
    M.F..00315
    Mileage 12k
    36 mo.
    2,000 T.O.
    Pymt. 1,316 tax incl.

Should I pull the trigger? :confuse:
    Hi tonyg9. The car that you described has a spread of around $6,400 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. The discount that you were quoted, $4,400, looks pretty good to me. The money factor is slightly high though. BMW Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor for a 36 month lease of a 2007 BMW 650 Coupe is .00285 with the payment of a security deposit at lease signing and .00015 higher than that with the deposit waived. Try to get the dealer that you are working with to use the buy rate to calculate your car's monthly payment.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • robfloridagoldrobfloridagold Member Posts: 15
    Hi Car Man

Looking at a 2007 650i msrp $77,750 -- what price would be a good deal if I pick up in Munich - looking at zero down 36mo lease 10K a year -- buying in Florida
  • raja2raja2 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Car Man,

I wrote you a while back. I think I am going to skip the M6. Don't think it is worth the extra $$. Anyway, I got this quote I would like you to review. Tell me what you think.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but they don't have the car in stock and I would need to order it from Germany. Thanks in advance for your time and effort.

So here it is:

2 year LEASE/ 15K Miles/ $0 down

Sticker $85220.00
    Neg price $79605.00
    Net Cap Cost $79605.00
    Adj Residual $55891.40
    Money Factor(that I was told): 0.00240
    Monthly lease Charge $325.19
    Base Payment: $1313.26
    Monthly Tax: $101.78
    Total Payment: $1415.04 monthly

In addition, could you tell me if you think I could talk the price down even further? How much wiggle room do I have?
    Hey raja2. The 2007 BMW 650i Coupe has a spread of around $6,000 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. The $5,600 discount that you were quoted looks like a very good deal to me. BMW Financial Services' June buy rate lease money factor for a 36 month lease of this car is .00285. If you like the car, I personally don't see any reason not to go for it.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • lamplamp Member Posts: 20
    Hi Car_man, do you know what is the current money factor on 6 series?
    We were told (over this past weekend) that it is 0.00315
    we test drove a 6 series with no options, msrp 75.5k and was offered at $73.5k and with a 15k mile per year 36 mo. lease, the quoted monthly payment is around $1312 after 8.25% sales tax.

Is this a good deal?

Thanks!
  • lamplamp Member Posts: 20
    oh forgot to mention, we were told that the residual value is 57%
  • m6_4_mem6_4_me Member Posts: 1
    Car_man

I am in the process of leasing an M6 Convertible, 3yr/ 12k per yr and am being quoted MF in the .00320-.00325 range with a claimed buy rate of .00310. What do you think?
    Greetings to the appropriately named m6_4_me. The money factors that you were quoted look about right to me. BMW is not currently providing any lease support on the 2007 M6. Having said this, it is running a special loyalty promotion that reduces its standard money factor by .00085 for returning BMW FS lessees. If you are a current BMW lease customer, you should be able to do much better than the factor that you were quoted.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • icyblue1203icyblue1203 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Car_Man,
    I am considering leasing a certified pre-owned 2005 645 convertible through my local dealership. I would only lease it for 36 months and 12K miles per year. Can you help me with lease rates and MF numbers and residuals on used 04 or 05 6 series coupes and convertibles? Thanks!
    Hi icyblue1203. Unfortunately, given all of the variables that are associated with them and their general lack of popularity I personally do not keep tabs on the details of manufacturers' CPO lease programs. Sorry that I could not be of more help. One thing to keep in mind though is that CPO lease program are often not that attractive. Consumers are often able to get similar, or even better deals on leases of brand new vehicles then they are able to get on equivalent used vehicles. That may not necessarily be the case in this situation, but you definitely should get a price quote on a new 6 to compare with the price of the used 6 that you are interested in before pulling the trigger.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • mkp6ermkp6er Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

I'm considering a lease on either 2007/2008 650Ci. How do I determine if I'm getting a good deal?

I'm not familiar with leasing programs however, it appears BMW is offering $4500 rebates on leases of 2007 vehicles to clear them out. What should I expect the price of the car to be compared to invoice pricing? The dealer is claiming their best price is $5k over MSRP (ridiculous!) and for a 2007 model it is $1500 over MSRP.

For a 2 or 3 year lease the

2008 is 1400/mo with $10K down
    2007 is 1200/mo with $5k down

Why do they add salestax to the price of the lease calculation? tax rates differ and you really dont pay sales tax if you dont buy the car...

thanks,
  • ricardoghunterricardoghunter Member Posts: 2
    mkp6, where are you located?

I'd like to briefly relate the following experience:

I got a quote from a dealer who posted a lease offer for a 6-speed equipped 07 M6 online: 30 months, 10k/year, $0 down, $1372/mo.

Sounds good, right? Especially considering your rates on 08/07 650s. It gets better, though.

I went to yet another dealership with that offer in hand and a laptop. The laptop had an Excel spreadsheet on it that had formulae for calulating lease details- you plug in the numbers, and it spits out the lease payment.

Anyway, when I first showed up, before presenting any of the above, I was offered an 07 650i for $1408/mo on the terms above. They must have seen the disdain on my face as I pulled out the other offer and my laptop. I told them the 07 650i offer made no sense given the m6 offer I had in hand. I asked them to do better than the m6 offer on their own m6. I won't disclose the terms, but they DID do better- FAR better. They applied the BMW rebate to bring the price down to invoice, though, so they are still making a good amount of money... but I was satisfied with the offer.

By the way, the offer required one month's payment. Don't be afraid to try for an 07 M6- those things are not selling and are subject to the same rebates. Some dealerships are doing very well, though, so they may not be so accomodating.

BTW, the rebate is $4500 off of INVOICE, NOT MSRP. So if the dealer paid $91k for your car, they are in essence only paying $86,500 for it with that rebate. That should be your starting point in negotiations, not the 100k+ MSRP.
  • mkp6ermkp6er Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the reply! I'm in northern CA. I havent really ventured out to get multiple quotes as yet, but will do so this week. From my research, it does appear that the cars are a bit cheaper in the SE, and dealers are more willing to negotiate price. I've not had that experience yet, although I have had 3 salesmen from the same dealership contact me this week, each trying to sell me a new car, claiming they have new incentives to clear out the 07 inventory.

I have also heard from friends in the EC, that when you buy a new BMW, a weekend driving class is included in the price at the BMW driving school. I've not heard that in California. Were you offered the M driving course with your purchase?
  • ricardoghunterricardoghunter Member Posts: 2
    This may be the case. I'm not sure if that includes the lease of a new M. I can always ask. My dealer is working on getting me another car- another salesperson sold my car out from underneath me.
  • bmwfan23bmwfan23 Member Posts: 2
    Carman,
    Good advice so far...thanks for the previous posts. I have an offer from a dealer I would like your opinion on. 2007 M6 coupe, msrp ~109k, cap cost of 101k, residual 72% (on 2 year lease), mf .00290 and a pretax payment of $1512/month with no money down (2 years, 10k miles per year). The dealer is also willing to absorb my current lease-2006 Z4 with 14 months left at $450/month (on a 30 month lease) at no additional charge. Does this sound like a good deal to you? Anyone else feel free to comment as well. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.