Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 vs Chevy TrailBlazer SS vs Porsche Cayenne Turbo

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Fortunately, we cannot view pictures directly off of your hard drive. To find out how to post pictures click the help link over on the left of this page.

tidester, host
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    I saw the commercial. UNBELIEVABLE!! The commercial should be voted best car commercial of the year(lol)

Unfortunately, by the time the commercial came out, my order was complete. That was my first time seeing a black SRT Jeep and it was slick. Very menacing look. I agree it does look tough.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I had the great opportunity to drive one around DC's proving grounds in Michigan. I posted a 0-60 time of 4.75 seconds.

Our reviewers adjust the times for altitude and humidity (or something like that).

Glad to hear you enjoyed the review otherwise. :-)

Steve, Host
  • megamikemegamike Member Posts: 42
    DUH!! I should have known better

Here's the pic
  • vicyankeesvicyankees Member Posts: 1
    i just placed a deposit on mine this afternoon here in south fla - 1.5k over msrp and its already en route - they go on vacation this friday through jan 9 so im crossing my fingers it gets here this week, otherwise im looking at mid-january...

one dealer i went to is asking 57k for it with nothing in it but the srt package... and some dealers dont even know what it is...
  • blr1blr1 Member Posts: 6
    I bought a silver TB SS today. It's 2WD with everything except the Nav and DVD sys. With my employee discount and the $3,500 rebate I paid $29.9K + Tax and lic ($33.5 out the door). MSRP was $38.6K. It's one hell of a car. I have a Mustang Mach 1 that I thought was fast. This car blows it away! I wanted a SRT Jeep, but the price differance was too big to pass on the TB SS. fyi - my Jeep dealer in Los Angeles offered me the Jeep at MSRP with no mak-up.
    Congrats on your new SS. Hope all works out well for you.
  • ergoergo Member Posts: 56
    And what's wrong with having my cake and eating it too? :shades:

(Amazingly low price, tow capacity, and great performance!)
    There's nothing wrong with it at all, in fact I do it quite often myself. Having received my Inferno Red SRT Friday, I'm having the whole cake and washing it down with a milkshake too.........(lol) :P
    Congrates on the SRT-8. What color? If you get it before the New Year, you definitely got a good deal. $1500 over MSRP is very acceptable for that vehicle. My order went in Dec 12th. I'll be happy if I get mine before Feb.

I went to Fairbanks (Sawgrass) Jeep and they said to expect $10,000 over MSRP - even if I ordered it! I said "forget it" and walked out. Yardley-Massey Jeep put the order in for me at MSRP
    WOW! Great deal. I would have had no problem going with the TB SS if I had trouble finding the SRT-8 at MSRP. I honestly think it looks tougher than the Jeep, but the Jeeps performance #'s are just crazy.

I used to have a Silver 2 door Chevy Tahoe Sport with headers, exhaust, and audio, and I've missed it ever since I sold it back in 1998 :cry:
    Man, you are one lucky MF. As soon as you get the chance, post some pics and describe the driving experience.
    - As fast as you remembered?
    - How's the exhaust note sound?
    - How's the Boston Acoustic sound system?
    - Observed MPG? (I'm sure it's under 14 :cry: )
    - Any people stoping and staring?
    Here's what I've learned so far: The exhaust sound on cold start-ups sounds better than any aftermarket option. The SRT had to have 20" wheels as standard equippment to keep the body planted because this thing corners better than most sports cars, let alone Hi-Po SUV's(ie: Porsche, M-B, BMW, oh and yeah Chevy). Haven't had the chsnce to test the full potential of the Boston Accoustics sounds system because I can't erase the smile off of my face everytime a mash the accelerator to hear that great HEMI. Fuel economy? Let me put it to you like this- the computer was at 1.2 MPG when I first cranked it up at the dealer. It's now stalled at 11.3 MPG. But remember, this thing only has 31 miles on it, so it'll get better with more miles. GEEZ. thank Heavens this isn't a 300 SRT-8 or we'd be looking at a $3000 gas-guzzler tax. I'm thankful this won't be a daily driver. But all-in-all, it's worth every penny. You just can't get this type of performance from the factory in a SUV for the money that can carry five people and their gear comfortably, albeit the Chevy DOES come close to the performance @ about 1.5 secs slower to 60, but it makes up for it in towing and cargo versatility. HOWEVER, if you're like me and got a Ram 1500 HEMI and a Commander HEMI LTD 4X4 , the towing and cargo loss is miniscule. And the joy of hearing that brash HEMI over that sedate and docile 6.0L V-8 Corvette motor is more the reason to pick the SRT, IMO
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    Does anyone know how the reliablity for the SRT 8 6.1 engines is?

Isn't that kind of like asking a new born baby's partents if he (or she) will be a good Doctor?
    It's this kind of like the Turtle and the Hare?

If your cars go from 0 to60 in 4.2 sec and stop from 60 to 0 in 3.1 sec. what difference does it make??

I have very fast cars too, but my 1965 VW bug gets me to work faster.

When you go to 60 as fast as you can, and then stop as fast as you can, all that starting and stopping cuts your overall time to work, way down, and your tires will only go so many blocks like that.

I remember once, when I was way younger than I am now, I went to work like that in my 1965 289 Cobra, A real AC Cobra. I only worked 10 miles from work but I had to have two pit crews, one at the 3 mile mark and one at the 8 mile mark to get new tires and fuel to make it to work. And at that, I was always 2 hours late, due to all the stopping and starting. Long and short of it was I lost my job. But then I got the VW Bug. I got a new Job, got to work 3 hrs. ahead of all the guys in their fast cars and now own the company.

CK

PS We own the company that sells the High pref. parts and big (20" and above) to all you guys.

Now I dive a Bentley Cont. But I earned it by learning how to go slow and I got it from those who thought they were going places fast, just 1/4 at a time! ;)
    Very interesting life story. I agree that it's silly to buy a fast car as your only car if you drive in traffic for an hour each way every day. But if it makes you happy while you're in traffic (especially if you've earned it), then so be it.
    .......maybe I can get a drag wind off of your cape and I can get to work a lot faster than the SRT can get me there.

I agree with your story, altho my SRT won't be a daily driver. It's just a weekend hauler, sort of like all of my other sports cars. The only cars that I regularly drive through the week are my Commander and my Audi A8. That way I won't have to call your company to order more rims and tires every 3rd and 8th mile down the road.:P :shades:
    It's too new to tell the reliability of the 6.1L in the Jeep, but in other DC vehicles like the Magnum/Charger and the 300, it has received great intial reviews. One thing to remember is that the 6.1L is a stroked 5.7L engine, and with that comes better and stronger internals, thus making the engine more durable and powerful at the same time.

My neighbor has a 300 SRT-8 and he told me just yesterday that his car just turned over 11,000 miles and he hasn't had a problem at all, and he uses it as a daily drive. He also told me that these motors get more flexible after about 1000 miles, because before then it's a little tight wound, like most big cube motors.
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    Can you check again and let me know if 6.1 is in fact a stroked 5.7? I thought it was a bored 5.7. That makes it more rev-happy (hence higher redline) since longer strokes generally mean lower rpm limit.
    Hey BLK,

Have you lined up agaist your neighbor's SRT-8 yet?
    Or have you even discussed it?

BTW - I just checked with DC, and they finally have given my order the "BX" code (Cleared for scheduling). Which probably means I'll see it mid to late Jan :(
    But I think Florida has yet to see its first GC SRT-8 anyways. I've called around and nothing.
    Thanks for catching my error, the 6.1L is infact a BORED out version of the 5.7L HEMI. And you're right, this thing revs much more than my Commander or Ram HEMI's. This engine is a marvelous piece of machinery.

I recently received a video of all of the components that DC use to put inside of the 4.7L, 5.7L, and the 6.1L engines. Let me just tell you in a short way, the same engineering and precision that Mercedes use in putting it's wonderful engines goes into the Chrysler engines as well. The engines have received outstanding reviews from all sorts of publications and owners, me being one of them.

To make a long story short, Chrysler has come a long way from those durable but very thirsty 318 and 360 motors(5.2 and 5.9L) and has created some of the best engines in the industry.
    Not yet, but every since I've brought it home, he comes over everyday to see have added anything else to it. I told him no races until at least 1000 miles, and after that, let's play ball.

Glad to hear your vehicle is one step closer to being in your possession.
    Good man... protect your investment!!

Yeah, I'm still picturing your saticfaction to calm my anxiety :blush: I

Anyway, it's a crazy next week and a half, so I probably won't think too much about the GC 'till after the New Year.
    Boy, I must have had a "Super" 318. It was in my 93 GC. I got 225,000 before I sold it, and it was not burning a drop of oil. Good compression etc. AND, for that 220,000
    I almost always got 22 mpg on the Hw at 75mph!

Now how is that for SUPER?

I know of no reason to think the 6.1 won't be anything but fantastic, except to those who like GM products. (and they like :lemon: too!
    :lemon: is just the tip of the iceberg for some of GM's engines of late. BTW, why does the biggest carmaker solicit China to make the engines that go into some of it's smaller cars and SUV's? Very interesting. With the U.S's trade deficit to China over 30Billion, why does GM help increase the deficit by doing this type of business?

Whewwww, I'm glad that my SRT-8 is built right in the U.S.A and not with Made In China labels all over it. GM, get it together. The TB SS can't save you.

P.S.- GM, why did ya have to kill the Camaro/Firebird? Since then GM has been slipping and sliding like a Chevy TrailBlazer SS without AWD in the rain.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I just wonder why a mild mannered reporter capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound would have a need for any vehicle -- but who am I to question? ;)

tidester, host
  • gmfangmfan Member Posts: 188
    I agree. I had a 96 GC Laredo Up Country model with the 318. That was a great engine, it was smooth, and a torque monster. The only problem I had was going through a water pumps every 50,000 miles and having the replace the serpentine belt every 15,000 miles. BUT, the rear axle went bad when the bearing that rides the axle went bad, (inherent vice) not to mention the Quadra Drive was giving me major problems, and the everything on the front end was going bad (inherent vice). In 2002, at 118,000 miles, I dumped it since the repairs were going to nearly equal the value of the vehicle. I was quoted $3,900 to repair everything and the blue book was around $8,000. I had a feeling the transmission would be next!
    Ha! GM makes very good engines and so does DC. GM killed the Camaro and Firebird because those models were redneck. I had a AWD 1996 Jeep GC Laredo Up Country, and that AWD Quadra Track system was HIGH maintenace. I loved the 318, but the overall quality of the GC, especially the differentials and axles was downright PITIFULL! Not to mention at certain speeds, the driveline would vibrate. Small pitiful rotors that would warp and disks runout caused me to have to change brakes pads and rotors every 30,000 miles Ford is the one that is falling behind in engines. GM has VORTEC, a proven winner, the NORTHSTAR engines, another proven winner, the CORVETTE motor, a proven winner, Displacement on Demand technology, a proven winner, and some of the highest fuel efficient V-8s' in the industry. The HEMI is advertising fluff...big deal you have hemispheres :surprise: !!!
    Camaro/Firebird redneck? There are quite a few people who'd take offense to that from a person who has a lack for better words.

I didn't say that all of GM's motors are bad. I for one own a '06 Z06 and this thing is way before it's time in terms of engine refinement. However, GM's V6's and some of the much-hyped Vortec V8's of late besides the 3.6L and 3.8L(oldie but goodie) has seen major problems. Ford has so many problems with so many engines that I can't even began to describe them. As for DC, they need to take their fleet of V-6's out in the pasture and put them out of their mysery.

As for the HEMI just an advertising fluff, it's safe to say that you are probably the only person to say that the HEMI is all show and no go. Sorry that you've experienced problems with your previous Jeeps, however they're not all like that. I've driven Jeeps for the past 30 years and have never experienced the problems that you have.

P.S.- Do a little research on the HEMI before slamming it. Some of the most trusted publications(J.D. Powers and Ward's to name a couple) and a lot of owners find the engine peerless for seamless operation and great low-end grunt.
    Wards names 10 Best Engines for 2006 (Straightline)

Steve, Host
    Thanks for the link Steve. Oh gmfan, this is yet more info to prove my point that the HEMI is not just about advertising, but it actually does what it's advertised to do. No smoke and mirrors here. My sight is fading, but I'm not sure I saw the GM Vortec in any form listed. Awwwww!!!:P
    The Vortec (specifically the one in the TrailBlazer) was there last year, so it must not be a slouch either (theautochannel.com).

Steve, Host
    My 1996 2door Tahoe (Vortec 5.7L V-8) really never gave me problems for the 140k miles I owned it. It also was the sweetest sounding I've heard to date with the FM (FlowMaster) catback on it. My brother has the HEMi with FM catback and it just doesn't hit that same low note.

If the inside of that Tahoe didn't fall apart at so many occasions, I'd probably still have it - or at least had gotten a new one.
    Read further in that link Steve provided. The Vortec was was named in the top ten four years in a row. I do not think Hemi can top that. Your sight, or lack of information, is fading. The reason I responded so strong to your post is because you put the lemon icon around GM engines. GM ought to put me on the payroll with how much I stick up for them.
    I put the lemon sign around the GM motors because I was responding to a previous post, not because they're all lemons.

As for the Vortec making it 4 years and not the HEMI, the new-gen HEMI has only been around since '03, so no, it can't say the same because it's not 4 years old yet.

I wish a could say better things for most of the Vortec motors. I had a '03 GMC Yukon Denali XL with the 6.0L Vortec engine in it and it was just a plain sour :lemon:
    Was in the shop for more leaks and engine accessory failures than I can count. I got rid of it after only 34,000 miles. I've got a '98 JGC 5.9 Limited with 201,000 miles on it, and other than serpentine belts and a few water pumps, batteries, alternators, and a oil pan gasket, has never ever had to have the maintenance that both of my previous GM vehicles had to endure. But this is not to say that Jeep hasn't had their share of reliability fatigue, as we all know they have.

With that said, GM still builds some great engines, I for one will always buy the new Corvettes everytime there is a remake. The Northstar and the new 4 and 6 cylinder engines are a cut above, in fact the Cobalt's engine made the list.

Maybe the '07 GMT900 SUV's and pick-ups will erase my perceptions and help GM out of their slump. Read the Chevy/GMC truck forums and you'll see that I'm not the only one to have experienced probs with the venerable Vortec.

Now back to the topic at hand, the SRT vs. SS.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    i didn't see the jeep hemi in that list. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Neither did you see a Explorer V-8. But what you did see was the Charger HEMI(same motor in the Jeep) and a Mustang GT V-8 (same motor in the Explorer/Mount., just a slightly detuned version)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    "Neither did you see a Explorer V-8. But what you did see was the Charger HEMI(same motor in the Jeep) and a Mustang GT V-8 (same motor in the Explorer/Mount., just a slightly detuned version)" - i see you got my point. :shades:
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    Sorry, but the GMT360 did gain tow capacity. The 4200 i6 was only rated to around 5900lbs in the standard wheelbase configuration. The only model with a 7000+ lb tow rating was the 5.3l V8 EXT model. With a tow rating of 6500lbs the 6.0l SS increases the max rating by over 500lbs.

I'd take the SS over the HEMI for practical reasons any day, since it successfully remains a true SUV (hauling and towing don't get sacrificed) while still gaining the ability to haul tail. Keep in mind that this is from the perspective of someone that actually has to use the vehicle for more than weekend drives- I completely understand your viewpoint too, blkhemi. If I could afford a garage full of vehicles that I could take out just for pleasure cruising, I'm sure I'd have the Jeep too. Then again, the garage would probably be a bit like Jay Leno's..
    I saw a black SS today on the road. Man did it look mean, and bigger tires and wheels made it have the appearence of a wider stance. Is GM only going to be making these in black? If the SRT was priced the same, I might seriously consider it, but 10k over the SS is not worth some of the gains (performance) The SS is good enough with that Corvette engine.
    Point well taken, altho our viewpoints are completely dissimilar yet ironically they both make since.

The SRT- If you want all out performance that beats just about every SUV(yes this includes Porsche and BMW) and even some hi-po sports cars and coupes but don't care about towing capacity, go with the Jeep.

The SS- If you want a great performing SUV that can also tow another SS behind it with the magnificent Corvette motor and the ability to go with a 2WD version, go with the Chevy.

I personally chose the Jeep over the Chevy because of the performance advantage. I've got a Commander and a Ram, and both are HEMI-equipped. so towing and cargo capacity issues are lost for me. With that said, the Chevy is a great SUV in that it has everyday praticallity in a $32K package. It has many virtuous advantages over the Jeep, except for couple of things: HP and the ability to out-corner a Porsche Boxster and hang with just about any sports car out there.(NO Ford GT's, Vette Z06's, tho)
  • blautensblautens Member Posts: 14
    I like the Jeep, and I can admit that the SRT8 will show me his tail lights (assuming we're both stock). AWD doesn't much interest me, particularly in South Florida. 2WD makes for more versatile tranny and differential options, among other things. Plus, big smoky burnouts amuse me, although I don't do them as a matter of course.

But here's the one truly compelling argument for me. My TBSS was $29,203 out the door - tax, tag, title, no down payment, no trade, just Bleeding Red Tag discounts.

Now I get to relive my 1996 Impala SS, and still put the kids and dog in it.

Quite the bargain. And I understand the shortcomings - quite frankly, I'm not big on domestic cars, and my other car is still a 2005 Lexus RX330 - but for $29,203 I bought a motor with a car, so to speak, the car happens to be a TBSS.

It probably isn't the overall car that the RX330 is, or that the Acura MDX I was pining for would be, but DAMN that motor makes up for it. And it leaves me a whole bunch of cash to do other stupid things with, motor related or otherwise (like repairing my hurricane damaged porch a THIRD time in 14 months).

$29,203.

Cheers,
    Bruce
  • davidc1davidc1 Member Posts: 168
    That's very compelling indeed. Please share with us what you like/dislike about your TBSS other than power. Thanks.
    It's hard to justify the $15k difference I'm gonna pay for the GC SRT-8 over the TBSS, but somehow I did it in my head.

The TBSS is definitely a sweet looking truck (especially in black) with plenty of room, power, performance and towing. And at $30k it is a bargain.

The GC SRT-8 has acceptable room (it IS an SUV) and towing, and it too is a bad looking truck.
    But it has ULTIMATE power and performance, and that is where it is separated from the rest. At $45k out the door and its limited production #'s, it seems to be justified as a bargain just the same.

BOTH are gas guzzlers (no gas guzzler tax though - yay!) and BOTH will out perform most cars on the road.

Bottom line - BOTH are gonna turn heads (and ears :) )
    Likes: handling, power, massive fade-free brakes, even without the optional brake duct cooling kit, front seat (roomy for my 6'5" 250 lbs), availability of base cloth interior (black leather can be hot in Florida), able to get withOUT sunroof (see the 6'5" part), relatively comfy ride, excellent exhaust note, roomy cargo area, towing capacity, exterior styling. I like getting it in 2WD for a number of reasons, but I see the AWD option as a plus for others.

Dislikes: (keep in mind this relative to my last 3 cars - Lexus, Toyota, Honda) fit/finish, some minor ergonomics, switch feel/quality, interior material quality, wind noise, lack of rear seat legroom and access (my RX330 is like a limo, relatively speaking), base stereo quality (even my base Honda stereo sounded better). The 20 inch wheels make it follow grooves in the road a tiny bit, but well worth the trade off to get the traction this beast needs.

I knew the shortcomings of this TBSS - a carefully optioned Honda Pilot would be more practical for me, probably more reliable, and address almost all of the dislikes I mentioned. But a Pilot (even my RX330) is a precision appliance. Little emotion or character. The TBSS (or SRT8) is a CAR with soul, something you can feel passionate about (okay, maybe I have problems).

I think both the SRT8 and TBSS are unique vehicles that are unlikely to disappoint their owners. Kudos to GM and to DC for making these.
    I read on another forum that someone may have cracked the PCM system on the LS2, meaning there may be more power to get out of the LS2 to reduce quarter mile times. :surprise: Stay tuned and watch out Hemi...
    Better upgrade the tranny and suspension or you'll be huggin trees!!
    Yes - Chris White and Vector are developing (it's in beta now) a new flash for the TBSS PCM, Chris believes it'll be ready for sale this month. Initial dyno tests shave 6/10ths off the quarter mile, and since stock 2WD TBSS results being submitted now by owners are consistent low to mid 14's, (14.26 was the last I saw), it should be easy to see this truck in the 13's. He doesn't have 0-60 times posted, as I recall. He's also working on a cold air intake.

Chris is famous for his work with GM vehicles, including the Pontiac GTO's, another LS2 application.

He believes that an honest 50 HP was left on the table, and also torque management that really leaves something to be desired. Combined with a new CAI to replace the factory CAI (yup, that's a functional CAI inlet in the grille under the headlight), it should be bolt on goodness that really wakes up the LS2.

Most believe the tranny to be good to 500 HP, and the rear end for even more (it's a 9.5 inch LSD similar to what's in the 2500 series trucks - pretty tough).
    have always been good for "hiding" power that the factory puts in it. The Hypertech 3 module is a great way to uncover that hidden power. But in late January, Mopar Performance is said to release a Stage 2 PCM upgrade that'll take the SRT up to 550hp. That's 550 horsepower in a truck that weighs only 4450 pounds. And with the already more than capable suspension and wheel/tire setup, you're talking some even more serious performance. I'll be sure to be first in line when this comes out.

It's good to see that GM and DC is taking the step up in this growing area of the industry. It's a good thing to see them stepping up to the Brits and the Germans with their overpriced and underperforming SUV's(SAV's, I'm sorry).

Roll on DC and GM. Now if GM could just get the SS Silverado just right, it'll be just perfect.
  • 8over8over Member Posts: 1
    I am also tall 6'6" and drove this suv for a few minutes. With the incnetives the price is just over 30 grand and seems like a steal. Have you had a chance to drive to car for a long time and if so is the front room ok?
This discussion has been closed.