Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Ford Edge

Comments

• markanmarkan Member Posts: 48
    5,000 miles on our Edge and we love it. The only negative is its tendency to downshift to 4th, skipping 5th entirely in the 55 to 65 mph range. Dealer checked it out and says everything is normal. Any one else notice this?
  • toledoantoledoan Member Posts: 5
    The paint has chipped on the driver and passenger door handles on my 2007 Edge SEL. Seems too high to be the result of another door, but if that's the case, I would have expected a dent, and not a chip. Unreasonable expectations? Any other experiences? I intend to take it to the dealer and thought I might see if I have a common problem. Thanks.
  • fomoconafomocona Member Posts: 19
    I represent Ford Motor Company and I am not aware of any concerns with the Edge door handles chipping. I would recommend that you take your vehicle to your dealership for an inspection. If not resolved by the dealership, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center at 800-392-3673 (FORD).
  • buffalo78buffalo78 Member Posts: 36
    Had the Edge in for a tire rotation couple of weeks ago at one of the "chain" maintenance shops. Mechanic pointed out some pretty excessive wear on the front wheels. Only 9k on the vehicle. He recommended I have the dealer re-align it and "fight" to have it covered under warranty. He says no way it should be wearing like that after only 9k. Anybody else have an issue like this?
  • toledoantoledoan Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your help. I plan to take it to the dealership this week. If not resolved satisfactorily, I'll call the number you supplied.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    There is a TSB for alignment issues. Check with the dealer to see if it's applicable.
    Thanks,
    I'll have to look into that. Taking it in Thursday.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Alignment is covered by the basic "bumper to bumper" warranty for 12 mo or 12,000 miles unless there is evidence of misuse.

PS. The tire rotation interval is 7,5k not 9k

Mark
    Yeah thanks,
    I got the vehicle with 2,500 on it so I guess 9 - 2.5 would be 6.5 so i guess I'm in the middle of the 5 and 7. Basic point was that the tires should no be wearing like they are!
  • cardealer2cardealer2 Member Posts: 1
    Buy the 4x4 spent the extra 1500 bucks you will never loose out, even when you go to sell a car back to a dealer, us dealers all have galves wich is the whole sale book the deductions are always around 1000-3000 for a non 4x4 car
  • edgeie007edgeie007 Member Posts: 3
    i am beyond confused. Is the 2008 better as some of the bugs may have been removed? Am trying to stay at 24,000 Z plan price--can;t find a 07 or 08 with no extras and leather seats. Seems if you want leather you have to take a bunch of stuff you don't want and if you look at cars with out sliding roofs. blue toothe etc..you can't get leather.

anthing bad about the 2007's I should know about?

does anyone know if rebates offered on and 07 are the same on a 08?

Anyone use the Z plan before? Why do they give you such a poor trade in?

sorry, I am a widow buying alone for the first time -even w/ the "Z" plan it is still very confusing..Any advice???
    :
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Pls get a trusted friend to help you navigate the process, especially if you are trading in a vehicle. Car sales people generally try to get the most profit they can from any sales they make, so they don't always have your best interest in mind. Edmunds has a lot of info on new car prices and trade in values and you should get familiar with those numbers. As far as which model and what options to get those are personal choices and you should get only what you want and like. All vehicles have the issues (PROS & CONS), but both the 07 and 08 Edges are good choices. It seems you might want to look at the Edge base model which is not selling as well as the ones with more options and therefore would have more incentives, but it might be difficult to get with leather. The Z Plan does not guarantee that you will get the best deal since there is a trade-in involved so you have to shop around and know what you are doing.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    There are very good aftermarket leather interiors that can be added to a car for $800-$1200. Find a cheaper Edge then have the leather added. The dealer here does that all the time for people.
    Regarding the trade-in: you're almost getting the vehicle wholesale (not quite, but close) so there's no extra profit for the dealer to use to prop up a trade-in value. It also depends on the vehicle and whether the dealer will sell it themselves or just auction it off. If you get $1K less on the trade-in but save $1K on the Edge them it's a wash. And since Z plan is the same price at every dealer you only need to negotiate the trade-in price. Good luck!
  • mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    If I was you I would get the 2008 just be patient until you can find what you want. I believe the second year is better and like you said some bugs have been worked out.
    And don't forget that Sync is only available on the 08 models.
    I have Sync and it is wonderful. Hands free calling with loads of features. It is worth it in my mind for safety reasons.
    The only way to get factory leather is to get an SEL with the seating flexibility package. I assume because you are trying to be at $24k, that you are looking at a FWD.

IMHO you should go down to your local dealer and order one.

Mark.
    Or an SEL with the premium package. I agree with the advice to order. You get exactly what you want that way. It would also be possible for a dealer with an order in progress (but not past a certain point in the process) to modify the car that is ordered to fit your specs.
    Thank you all who responsed to my email about being confused between 07 and 08 Edge. You advice in all reponses gave me something to think about and I am learning alot and getting as much knoweldge before I head to the table--with a friend as suggested.

Thank you all again VERY much
    Can you get the Sync installed in the o7 aftermarket?
    Not as I understand it. Too much stuff to add and it all ties together. You have to buy a 2008 to get it. I can say from experience it is a very nice system. You do have to get some specific options to get it on some Edge models. It was standard on out Limited, but others have said you have to have certain packages on a SE or SEL to be able to order the SYNC system. Be sure to check that out to make sure you don't have to add unwanted items just to get SYNC.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    You do have to get some specific options to get it on some Edge models. It was standard on out Limited, but others have said you have to have certain packages on a SE or SEL to be able to order the SYNC system. Be sure to check that out to make sure you don't have to add unwanted items just to get SYNC.

Only on the SE. You'll need to order the convenience group (#553) with the SE in order to get the Sync because it gives you the steering wheel mounted audio controls. You also get auto headlamps, a self-dimming rear-view mirror, and the illuminated entry keypad on the driver's door. All nice things to have and worth the few hundred $$ extra for them and the SYNC IMO.

The convenience group is standard on the SEL and Limited so the SYNC is purely a $395 option on those trims.
    The Sync system, like OnStar, is wired into ever electrical system in the vehicle. It cannot be installed after market.

Mark
  • thanksohiothanksohio Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased a 2007 SE AWD and are averaging 14.1 mpg. We have had the vehicle for 3 weeks now. My wife drives it 15 miles each way to work on highway. Anyone have similar issues?

Also, wipes freeze all the time. Seems that where they are is a pool for water and snow. Wipers freeze up with ice. Have to remember to manually break the ice off before driving. Bought off lot, don't even know if Edge offer heated wipers.
    Ford duratec engines take 3k-5k to fully break in and return max mpg. Winter fuel formulas don't help, either. No heated wipers on the Edge or MKX.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    In a nav+sync vehicle, is there any way to access the Sync commands such as "play track" without first saying "user device" every time? A friend of mine said you could change some voice setting to allow this but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Thanks.
    I think it's called advanced mode. It should all be explained in the owner's manual or Sync owner's guide.
    I believe that is correct. You have to go to advanced settings. I am still trying to learn what all can Sync do but I tell you Sync is a life saver.
  • rockfish1rockfish1 Member Posts: 113
    Does the SYNC option for calling require a separate phone number or does it use your existing cell phone number?
    What do you mean? It uses YOUR phone - it's no different than using a bluetooth earpiece. Sync is just a user interface.
    Ok I get it. It is just a dashboard bluetooth device.

I just mixed it up with the GM cars with OnStar and navigation which require a separate number.
    True, but it does have a few more features than a regular bluetooth device like voice recognition and ability to read text messages.
    Sync is very cool. You can even continue the calls when you leave your car. Sync takes care of it all for you. I highly recommend getting the Sync option.
    I just took a test ride in an Edge. Most features like the ride and handling were great. Good pickup also. One thing did seem a little different to me. When weather permits, I like to have the driver's side window down and rest my arm on the sill. I found the Edge's driver window sill at a unusually high position. For me to rest my arm on the open window sill required an almost perpendicular position for my arm. I was in an Edge with manually adjustable seats. After the test ride, I sat in another Edge with power seats which would raise me higher but then my head hits the roof.

Is the high sill necessary for building a safer door?
    Is the high sill necessary for building a safer door?

Not really IMO. The case of the high window bottom in the Edge most likely has to do with styling. The small greenhouse coupe-like look is in these day and the Edge is no exception. Had they made the windows larger it probably wouldn't have looked as good as it does. Just my $.02.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I had read that safety had something to do with a high window bottom. You see very few new cars with a low window sill.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    I had read that safety had something to do with a high window bottom. You see very few new cars with a low window sill.

Being that cars sit lower than SUVs/CUVs I'd say that makes a lot of sense. However, something taller, like the Edge, can afford to have a larger greenhouse without sacrificing safety. I'm sure it does make the Edge safer to raise the window bottom like they seem to have done, but I still say styling had a lot to do with it too.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    The Chrysler 300 started this ganstra chopped roof styling gimmick a few years ago and other manufacturers followed. It is for styling only. I tried out a 300 and found the same thing-- you can't rest your arm on the window sill with the window down. Very annoying,
    The high sills may have become popular on new cars but it was a surprise to me. The last time I went looking for a vehicle was at the end of 1998 and did not notice this "new" design coming into style. Now that I experienced the high sill during my test ride in the Edge, I am now observing a number of other vehicles where the driver's shoulder is barely above the bottom of the driver's window.

I will have to sit it the Edge with power seats again to determine if my arm will be comfortable resting on the window sill.

There is a plus side to not resting my arm on the sill. The fabric will not wear out on the inside of the door window sill like it always has on my vehicles.
    The fabric will not wear out on the inside of the door window sill like it always has on my vehicles.

Fabric? What fabric?
    How about resting your arm on the driver's door armrest? That's what I did when I got my Dodge Magnum RT back in 2004. Doing the same thing in the new Edge. It was a big adjustment for me back in '04 but now that I am used to it there was no adjustment with the Edge.
    My Grand Caravan has fabric on the driver's side door bottom window sill on the inside edge. This inside top edge on the door panel is what always wears out on me when I rest my arm.
    If I get the Edge that is what I may need to do.

I want to try the power seats to determine if I can raise the seat high enough to comfortably rest my arm on the sill. I think the Edge without the BAMR has the most headroom so the extra seat height may work. Will have to visit the dealer again.
    There is a plus side to not resting my arm on the sill. The fabric will not wear out on the inside of the door window sill like it always has on my vehicles.

My point was the Edge doesn't have fabric there so it won't matter.
    Sorry, I missed your point about no fabric on the Edge's Door. I will cross off that "plus" for the Edge.
    Didn't you notice that in your test drive? I'm not sure any new vehicles use fabric on that part of the door for the obvious reason that you stated - it wears too easily.
    Did not notice on the test drive. On most of the cars I have driven from the 1950 Dodge Meadowbrook, which I learned to drive on, to the present have had fabric at that spot. I have always worn that spot down with my arm and have become used to it and expect it there.

I may need help overcoming the traumatic change I will encounter from not having this familiar worn spot on the door.
    My wife didn't want the BAMR so we didn't get it. You are right about the great headroom. I am 6'4" and have no headroom issues as all, unlike many other vehicles out there.
    This may save you from getting skin cancer on your elbow.
This discussion has been closed.