Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Ford Edge

nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
edited April 2014 in Ford
Here's a spy shot of the up coming Ford Edge. Looks like it will take some of the styling of the Fusion (front chrome bars) from the looks of it. And may come with a new 3.5 engine (Duratech 3.5?)

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiasts/Spy_Shots/Spy_Shots_07_Ford_Edge.S178.A9343.ht- ml

Comments

• rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Looks like Detroit is finally responding to the RX300/Highlander only 8 years after they came out! No wonder our domestic car industry is in deep trouble.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    If the Ford Edge comes out, what happens to the Freestyle? I thought that was supposed to Ford's crossover vehicle.

And then what happens to the Fairlane which was supposed to replace the Freestyle?
  • yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    Freestyle is more than 195 inches in length, while Fairlane or Edge may be much smaller.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Hype Name (Edge) Reality Name (Fusion Wagon)

Hype Name (Freestyle) Reality Name (Ford 500 Wagon)

So the Edge is in competion with the Freestyle as much as the Fusion is to the 500.
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    The Freestyle is already scraped according to Ford. There won't be a new model. It's quite a waste to develope and junk a model like that.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    It's just moving under the Mercury name.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    So it can be sold for more $$$ to bring in more $$$.
    And $$$ is something Mercury could really use......even this new Milan and Mountaineer aren't going to help them too much...... :cry:
    I saw a dark red Milan Premier on the highway today. Pretty attractive. Had temporary tags and the local dealer sticker on the back.

It stood out and grabbed my attention briefly. Maybe because its the first one I've seen on the road.

Why I should pay more for a Milan when I can get a perfectly good Fusion is a good question though.
  • igor2igor2 Member Posts: 148
    well Milan is what Mercury has been to ford for years: you pay a 1-2K extra for not having the same car as everyone else.. Mercury is just tad more exclusive and less populous letting you be different. To make Mercury even more exclusivea the Freestyle WILL become M.MetaOne ONLY awith no cousin from other makes making it the first Mercury ONLY car in years. The car is also better positioned in Mercury Brand as it competes Pacifica and teh Cadillac crossover.. both are luxury vehicles.

Edge will be a better everyday people hauler..

However in the pctures the Edge seems a little too tall.. I was hoping for a more car like design.. not so much SUV looking.. oh well..

Igor
  • baugiebaugie Member Posts: 1
    Actually;

The MSRP on the Milan is only higher because the standard option content is greater. If you spec out both vehicles with all available features (which match up) then the Fusion is actually a few hundred more than the Milan since the options are not packaged the same.

If you price out a Milan and Fusion with the same option content, the lease price for a Milan is actually lower than the Fusion because the residual value for the Milan is 2% higher (based on 36 month lease).

I was looking at both, bought a Milan due to this since I wanted more options on the car. There is more flexibility on a Fusion since there are less option packages and more a la carte selection.

baugie
  • shopperx8shopperx8 Member Posts: 8
    ANT,

Recently I saw a post of yours that said the new Aviator is coming out in the spring, but everything I have read indicates it is coming out next fall, in fact LATE next fall. I heard the same about the Edge.

I am really more interested in the Edge and would really like to know a good "estimate" as to when it will be out?

For that matter how is the release timing of the Aviator compare with the Edge, and CX-7.

The Fusion was incredibly smooth and quiet, but I just don't find sedans very practical. A wagon or cross-over version is what I am looking for. 4 cyclinders is fine as well just to save on gas, and the 2.3L is supposed to be a technically advanced so I would probably choose it over the new 3.5L

Another question is how can the CX-7 share a platform with the Fusion instead of the 6, if both the 6 and CX-7 are made in Japan, wheras the Fusion/Aviator/Edge are North American.

thanks
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Numerous media outlets are pegging different times of release. Originally the vehicle was to debut later, put it was pulled a bit forward since the development stemmed from an exsisting architecture (CD3).

The Aviator will be the first to debut, and showcase the new Duratec35 3.5L DOHC V6, and that should be in later spring. The Edge is to debut months after, possibly in the fall to give Lincoln exclusivity for awhile.

The 2.3L Duratec I4 is very advanced and competitive with anything in it's segment. It was designed by Mazda and so far it has bullerproof reliability.

The Duratec35 doesn't share much with the existing Duratec30 (3.0L). It's not simply a stroke/bored version of the Duratec30, in fact, about 85% of it is new or improved items over the 3.0L. And from the Duratec35, the engine architecture allows larger versions of it, if need be. Let me know if you need a link that discussed more details on the engine.

In reference to your question on the Mazda6, CX-7. The Mazda6 is built in AutoAlliance, along with the new Ford Mustang, here in the U.S. The only version of the 6 that is made in Japan is the new Mazdaspeed6. Although there are factories in Japan that build the Mazda6, for their market, and others. This is one of Ford's factory that allows for flexible manufacturing.... Being able to produce different vehicles, that use different platforms, in the same factory.

The Fusion's platform (CD3) is an improved version of the Mazda6 platform (and eventually the Mazda6 will grow into that platform at a later date). The "Edge", Aviator, CX-7 will stem from a lengthened version of this CD3 platform.

The Fusion/Milan/Zephyr, all CD3 based, are assembled in Mexico, whereas the Aviator, Edge, CX-7 will share a factory here in the U.S., or possibly Canada, that is currently being worked out as to which factory will receive these vehicles. Consolidation of factory/plants are currently taking place, so it's not something on concrete.
    The 3.5L will feature 250HP and 240TQ with the Ford/GM JV 6 speed transmission.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I feel like the Milan is quieter at speed also.

Mark
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    Question - ANT, along with some publications refer to the Edge/CX-7/Aviator as a trio of vehicles, but on the other hand, over on the CX-7 board, audia8q, who I believe is a sales manager in a Mazda dealership, posted info from their CX-7 pre-order information - "The CX-7, built on a Mazda exclusive platform, not shared with any Ford product..." What's the real story?
    It's like saying "The Mustang is on an all new exclusive platform"...yet, it's derived from a less sophisticated DEW98 platform (LS, S-Type). There's components that would allow them to be "different" but ideally, they aren't.

Mazda doesn't have much purchase power to allow to allow them to have another exclusive platform, specially for a vehicle that will do better in N.A. You can interchange some components, suspension, trim sizes here and there, to allow them to offer something "different".

Some of Mazda's platform will integrate using other Ford platform, but tailoring each differently specially for the "Zoom Zoom Zoom" image.
  • frasierdogfrasierdog Member Posts: 128
    What is the anticipated MPG for the EDGE with the 3.5L & 6sp?

How much room will be behind the second row seats?
    Just asking, how come you know so much about Ford products, like the Fusion/Milan, 500, Zephyr, Freestyle?

Do you have access to inside information, do you work for Ford or do you just know a lot?
    Frasier,

It's a bit far to give you a good answer, but your looking at a guestimate 19/20CTY 26-27HWY. The aerodynamics will play a key role here.

Navi,

I wish they had an expanded forum on REALLY far out future products.
    How will the milage of the 3.5L compare to the current 3.0L Duratech. As in the 2007 Mercury Freestyle?
    Actually, quite similar actually... I find it redundant to keep the simpler Duratec30 engines after that, BUT it's cheaper to manufacture, so in some cases, it might be kept around.
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    Just asking, how come you know so much about Ford products, like the Fusion/Milan, 500, Zephyr, Freestyle?

Do you have access to inside information, do you work for Ford or do you just know a lot?

ANT14 works for Ford, though in which capacity I am not sure that this has ever been clarified. I would guess engineering or product marketing, but perhaps ANT with enlighten us?
  • driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    ANT tell me that the Fusion will get manu-shift next year and I will cut my check for it now. The GM/Ford Tranny can support it. The Edge looks like it will be really competitive. Will there be 3 different engine levels, the 4 banger, the 3.0, and the 3.5 or will it just be 3.5? Another question, is the 3.5 replacing the 3.0 in all applications?
  • sukispeedsukispeed Member Posts: 27
    It will be the 3.5L with the new GM/Ford Joint venture 6-sp automatic transmission. The 3.OL is being phased out.
    Ford should offer a 4 cylinder model and three row of seating to compete with the Toyota Highlander. I do not think were is enough room for three rows of seats in the Edge. Which gives Toyota the Edge.
    I know the is on this same platform as the Edge, But if Mazda can build the RX-8 on an exclusive platform, which is low volume, why can it not build a high volume car like the CX-7 on an exclusive platform?
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    I don't have a clue on the origin of the RX-8 platform, but it may be somewhat of a "halo" car philosophy. At the same time, ANT has the Ford background and knows what's happening. On the other hand, I've also seen one article that claims the CX-7 is based on the Mazda5 platform, so we'll just have to wait and see. The only concern with the CX-7 for me is the one drivetrain mentioned directly by Mazda is the turbo 4 cylinder. This may be fast, but I haul a 2000# boat for a short distance in the spring and fall and historically, turbos have not been recommended for towing. This would push me toward the Edge.
    "Will there be 3 different engine levels, the 4 banger, the 3.0, and the 3.5 or will it just be 3.5? Another question, is the 3.5 replacing the 3.0 in all applications?"

It'll offer the 2.3L I4, and 3.5L V6. The 3.0L will see duty in a few other vehicles for awhile before the 3.5L is phases in. And in some cases, the 3.0L will stay on a model or 2, for cost reasons.

"Ford should offer a 4 cylinder model and three row of seating to compete with the Toyota Highlander"

4 Cylinder will be offered. Highlander does have a 3rd row seat, but rather useless if you ever sat in one...or tried, as I did. That was Toyota's last minute attempt to stick one back there, while the Explorer and Pilot had good luck with there's.

The Edge is more Murano like, in it's offerings. The Highlander will face product overlap when the next Rav4 debuts with equal equipment. Ford has a few other vehicles, including Freestyle, Explorer, and (Fairlane concept not yet named) which will have flexible seating. Any more, would be overkill.

"But if Mazda can build the RX-8 on an exclusive platform, which is low volume, why can it not build a high volume car like the CX-7 on an exclusive platform?"

It could, but it wouldn't be wise. Niche vehicles such as the Rx-8 and Miata/MX-5, will use their platform longer, and undergo less changes to substantiate the cost offset, of using an exclusive platform. In that segment, it might be "forgiven" because they are niche products, and/or, less competition allows them to get away with it.

Some examples of this, are the Beetle, PtCruiser, new Mustang, Mini-Cooper, etc.

For an SUV/CUV, it MUST be redesigned in the 4-5th year mark because competition is fierce. Therefore, the above exclusive platform usage, wouldn't be economically wise.

Although...you could stretch the platform a bit, retune the suspension, NVH, engine offerings, etc. to make a vehicle different from it's platform cousin.

Speaking of the C-1 platform (Mazda5). Next Freelander will be based upon it, as a few other FUTURE Suv's ahem...Cough cough...
    do I hear next generation Ford Escape?
    "4 Cylinder will be offered. Highlander does have a 3rd row seat, but rather useless if you ever sat in one...or tried, as I did. That was Toyota's last minute attempt to stick one back there, while the Explorer and Pilot had good luck with there's.

The Edge is more Murano like, in it's offerings. The Highlander will face product overlap when the next Rav4 debuts with equal equipment. Ford has a few other vehicles, including Freestyle, Explorer, and (Fairlane concept not yet named) which will have flexible seating. Any more, would be overkill."

No one well ever get me in the third row of any vehicle.
    Some how my wife things we need a car with three rows of seats, we have one child and we need three rows of seats, I do not get it. I just need some thing from the Ford group that has that and is not a V-8 and is not the Freestyle, which she does not like. If not I will have to get a Pilot or a Highlander, Neither is on my list of things i want to drive.

The Edge or the Aviator are my last hopes, I just hope they are good enough for the wife.

Myself I would take the CX-7 with the 275 hp 2.3L turbo from the Mazdaspeed6 with the AWD.
    " I just need some thing from the Ford group that has that and is not a V-8 and is not the Freestyle, which she does not like"

How about, the Mercury version of the Freestyle ? (Meta One concept with the 3.5L V6), it's due about one year from now. That's IF the vehicle overcomes what she didn't like about the Freestyle.
  • ranger2001xltranger2001xlt Member Posts: 85
    Ant,
    Isn't the Meta One Concept coming out next year with the power train from the concept vehicle? If not, I'm going to be disappointed... (Twin turbo diesel) This may turn me off to Ford forever.
    Because of a powertrain ?

Diesel poses many challenges in the U.S., hopefully with low sulfur fuel being introduced, it'll "help", but not be able to pass certain states standards. The components/filter techonology to control particular matter for soot in it's disposal is improving substantially.

The concept showed a possible senario, that it wished to introduce but if current legislation limits certain emmissions for diesels, then it might pose an issue.

Ford has a diesel team here in the U.S. (and has for awhile) studying, researching, developing... dedicated to such products.
    I think the Mercury Meta One will end up with the 3.5L and a 6sp. Since Ford is dropping the Freestyle, I would anticipate a change to the Freestyle's sheetmetal with the Meta One's rollout.

I does not appear Ford is quite ready with any new diesels. From the announcement of the 3.5L to production has been a long time. At this rate, I would not expect to see a diesel in a car before 3 years minimum.

(for ANT14)
    The boys over at the autoextremist.com seem to think that the full size SUV market will shrink to 1/4 of the peak. What do Ford's researchers think? (ANT14)
    Ford's research done numerous years ago, shows just that. In fact, it cataloged future trends and such well into 2009-2012. And yes, it understand that it will be shrinking or, surplanted by CUV's moreso. The introduction of a B-class vehicle was studied a good 4-5 years ago in preperation for 2008-2009 because of the prediction of higher gas prices.

Ford has publically reported all this in the past.

The first diesel you will see will appear in a LD F-150 as currently planned.

P.A.G. is developing some diesels that can be inter-used with other vehicle in the Ford family of brands.
    link title

LINK-Autodeadline
  • rscherbrscherb Member Posts: 46
    ANT14

I have seen some of the pictures of the Ford Edge. One of them looks very good, modern and "edgy" I liked it a lot. The other one on another web site looks like another version of the 427 concept or the grill of the Fusion. What gives? Do you know which look they are going for?

Second, I travel a lot. In south America and in Europe, Ford makes cars that people appreciate and pay top dollar for, like the Japenese cars. Why doesn't that happen here. The Mondeo car should be introduced here. It's a beautiful car with distinctive styling. ANother nice one is the KA, a very small car which would be perfect against Hyundai or the Scion. Anyway, Ford builds some nice cars that don't seem to make it in the American market
  • frizz2112frizz2112 Member Posts: 84
    I have always been puzzled by the fact that America seems to get inferior Ford products as related to Europe. Back in the 90's I traveled to London and and was amazed at how much nicer and more upscale the European Fords were. Even models like the Mondeo and Focus, which had mechanically similar if not identical counterparts in the states, seemed more upscale. While I realize that in Europe people are willing to pay a lot of money for a highly equipped small car, where in the states people will only pay so much for say, a Focus, this does not completely explain the disparity. Even recently Ford decided that America will not get the all new Focus Europe is getting; instead we get a freshened version of the car that's been around since it's introduction, and we'll have it a couple years more before anything is done. I'm sure there are all kinds of financial arguments for this approach, but meanwhile, the competition is putting their best stuff on sale in America. Ford needs to do the same across the board.

That said, I think that sketch of the Edge is terrific. I thought the Fusion was nice, but could have taken the bold styling a step further. The front and of the Edge seems to do that. I'll be watching this car closely for sure...
  • ranger2001xltranger2001xlt Member Posts: 85
    I guess the www.mercuryvehicles.com website did not get updated with the 3.5L powertrain because Mercury is still touting the release of the Meta One (now called Magellan from what I understand) as Nov 2006 and with the diesel engine. (under Future vehicles)
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,265
    I'd like to see AdvanceTrac and side airbags offered on more vehicles (cars and pickups, not just SUV's). Is that something that's likely to happen in the future?
    Rscherb,

Ford is riding on the looks of the Fusion, for the styling of the "Edge". Which is the Gillette Mach3 grill of how I refer to it. The vehicle will debut at the NAIAS show, and the official sketch released by Ford, is the most accurate one.

LINK

The Mondeo WAS here, it was called the Contour. And because of it's interior dimensions, and hefty pricepoint it needed to be assembled as, it wasn't the "World Car" Ford was hoping for. Then in the next generation of Mondeo (internationally), it grew which would have solved the interior space issues, but still expensive to produce overall.

The Ka would have a hard time passing federal crash standard, I believe the smallest vehicle Ford can release in the U.S. is something Fiesta sized, which is a "B" segment vehicle, which will debut in a bit over a year/2. Unfortunately for those vehicles, to make them profittable, would require importing them from the Bahia Plant in Brazil, which is currently being upgraded and working 3 shifts to produce the Ecosport mini-ute. Anytime you import vehicles assembled in another country, you run issues with the U.A.W. But it's the only way to build the vehicle profittably.

Frizz,

Europe is a cut-throat market. Automaker's scramble just to hold onto a 10% market share. I've always stated that competition, makes good vehicles...better. And that's something we'll start seeing more of here with domestic manufacturer's as they increase quality and reliability.

Ranger,

Yes, the vehicle will start smack dab with the 3.5L DuratecV6.

Corvette,

It will, slowly it'll be phased in to vehicles as they are introduced.
  • ottavottav Member Posts: 31
    Ant,

So the Magellan will appear in Fall 2006 as a 2007 model? Does that also mean that the 2006 MY will be the last for the Freestyle?
    2006 is the last year for the Freestyle, I guess I will add it to my list because I'm hoping Ford will pile on the incentives and I can get a fully loaded Limited model for less than the cost of a Sienna XLE. (I really want the Sienna Limited, but its hard to spend $40,000 on a mainstream branded car, even if it does feel like a Lexus)
    Ottav,

Yes, you can say that...Unless something happens that would alter that by a few months delay. You could have a Spring 2007 introduction, as a 2008 model if there is such a delay.

Jchan,

I wouldn't count on it, that's still pending review. Freestyle sales have picked up recently as Explorer drivers have been shifting. The acceptance of the Edge will first need to be studied, before anything is finalized. Plus the conclusion of another concept vehicle which is currently in the customer research group pending opinions, and where that'll be placed in position to the Ford brand offerings.

As for piling on incentives, I highly doubt it. All Ford needs to do is flick a switch to change the line to produce the new Mercury "Magellan/Meta One". You only get the major rebates/incentives when there's a large quantity of a specific vehicle, at the factory parking lot awaiting deployment.

The Chicago assembly plant is a flexible plant, which allows Ford to increase the number of a specific vehicle (F/M/500) that's selling the most, over the one that might not be selling the most.

Case in point...
    It controls resale value since there's "Just enough" vehicle out there.
    controls increased inventory of vehicles just waiting around to be shipped and sold.
    Unwanted vehicles are taking up space in dealerships for long.
    You don't drive down the value with massive incentives.

If you want a hint of a vehicle that might need heavy incentives. Check out how many factories produce the vehicle, what other vehicles are built in that same factory.

An example of this, the new 2006 Explorer/Mountaineer. Previously 2 factories, now just one is needed, not more. And since one factory makes 2 products, it'll easily produce more of one model if the other isn't selling well.
  • ottavottav Member Posts: 31
    Since the Meta One was designed before Horbury really took over design, can we expect to see major changes in the look of the vehicle from the concept? I think in order for it to be successful, it has to stand out, in both design and features.
    True...

It never hurts to be hopeful...

But I guess if I wanted a car piled with incentives I'd go hunting for a Mercury Monterey...
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Any idea where this car is coming in price wise? I'm guessing from about 25 to 30 to slot between Escape and Explorer.

Is the CX-7 replacing the Tribute? If so, will it be cheaper than the Edge?

I would like to see the Edge slid in under the Murano. IMHO, the Murano is the best regular vehicle that Nissan sells in this country. And the Crossover all others are measured by.

Also is Edge going to use "Smart Key" technology? Nissan offers this in the Murano and Mazda offers it in the Mazdaspeed6.

Mark
    Ottav,

It has a bit of everyone's influence but it'll definately have more of an angular look to the front, but with some soften edges. The Milan comes to mind, with some Fusion edging.

Mschmal,

Pricewise it'll slot between the Escape and Explorer, but also overlap some of those pricepoints as well, although that's still not set in stone yet. All depends on packages and such.

It's safe to say that more of the higher trim versions will be allocated. The 500/FS/Fusion/Mgo has taken Ford by surprise since many of the upper trim levels, have sold above levels not expected. I keep repeating, if you option the car well, people are willing to pay for the upgraded items, Navi, etc.

Yes, the Tribute dies. No, doesn't cost anyless, the Mazda version might be a bit more actually....and longer warranty :)

Last minute details, like Navi systems, stereos and other toys have yet to be finalized.
    What I don't get about Ford and its Navigation system is that you can't get it on the rebate packed, value priced (due to those rebates) Mercury Monterey, and if you try to get it on a Freestyle you have to get a Limited, which pushes the price near Odyssey and Sienna levels.

ANT, is there any chance Ford will start offering Navigation on the Freestyle SEL before it dies? How about the Monterey?

And which trimlines will Navigation be offered on for the Edge?
    That hasn't been decided yet, still being worked out.
This discussion has been closed.