Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Ford Edge

Comments

• kgfordkgford Member Posts: 7
    I sell Fords and Subaru's and with the Edge Subaru better look out!! It will be more powerful, roomier and have more features than the B9 Tribecca. Personally I cant wait till the Edge hits our showroom. It will be a complement to the Freestyle (which will get the more powerful 3.5lt engine shortly, and get rid of the CVT trans.).
    So I will have both a 7 passenger mover and a 5 passenger mover that will get better gas mileage with AWD than Subaru can offer and if 6sigma continues their fine work we will have another winner just like the Fusion, and Ford will finally get the Freestyle the power it should of had. As well as one of the most powerful and fuel efficient V-6's on the market.
  • ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Next year, not this coming one, but the next (2008). Along with a a host of other features/toys, etc. and restyled exterior.
  • vwgolfiiivwgolfiii Member Posts: 11
    It is interesting how the Mazda alliance is saving Ford's hide. Nothing else seems to work for them. PAG is in the dumps. Trucks are in a free fall. Fusion and most likely Edge are their only successful models and both are based on the Mazda platform.

I really like Mazda's design sensibilities and Fords based on the turn out pretty nicely too. Going way back Mercury Tracer and Ford Probe were some of Ford's nicest cars and both were Mazda based. Mercury Tracer which was built in the same plant as the Fusion was probably the best built Ford product ever. They routine go 300000-400000 thousand miles.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Thanks, ANT. When do you expect it to be available for sale?
    No specific yet, other positive issues involved.
  • gil369gil369 Member Posts: 4
    Ran across a sweepstakes I thought I'd share with my fellow Edge junkies for a 2007 Edge: http://www.flashpointcommunications.com/FDAF-BOS-pepsi/

Sweepstakes is open to legal US residents of CT, MA, ME, NH, RI, VT and NY. It's being run by New England Ford Dealers.

Looks like the drawing is going to take place Oct. 8th. Does that mean that they might have some cars available by then?!!?
  • driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    I think the drawing takes place 9/16/06 or around there because that is when the ad says that the promotion ends. The drawing can't take place on Oct. 8th because the promo says the 25 winners will get tickets to a New England Pats game that day. It'd be impossible to win and get the tickets the same day and make it to the game. Thanks though, I am definitely entering.
  • w8tg4edgew8tg4edge Member Posts: 25
    When the Edge's crash test results and 'official' EPA mileage ratings will be available?
  • rbaughrbaugh Member Posts: 10
    You are able to drive an Edge today in Detroit:

http://fordracingevents.com/drive-zones/detroit-drive-zone

Just back form the event, you are only able to drive it for about a quarter mile a course in the parking lot, but worth it if you are interested in the car. My overall impression was positive if I can get over the reduction in size (current Yukon owner).
    Details. We want more details! :D

Was it an SEL or SEL Plus? What color was the exterior/interior? Did you notice what size wheels it had? What brand of tires did it have? How did it handle? What was the acceleration like? Did the transmission shift smoothly? What were your impressions of the interior finishing?
    It was a fully loaded SEL "plus" w/ the vista roof & NAV, carbon metallic w/ the stone interior. It had the 18" chrome wheels w/ Continental tires (can't recall the model).
    As I said it was a limited drive (a longer drive would be needed for a full impression), but the acceleration, powertrain, and handling were great! It was a nice day so the windows and Vista roof were open so it's hard to comment on how quiet the car is. Fit and finish was good and tight but did notice some loose plastic covering the seatbelt mechanism on the SEL on display. Both the front and back seat have plenty of room, but the back storage looks a little small and there is no way they could have a third row in this vehicle. I will say the Vista roof really gives the car a much bigger feel to the interior and that the Camel interior on the display model looked better than I thought it would from looking at the pictures. If you have any other questions let me know
  • beerme1beerme1 Member Posts: 67
    By chance did you happen to get a price on the loaded model you drove? Was it AWD? And were there any EPA ratings on it?

Thanks for the info.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Did you notice what size wheels it had? What brand of tires did it have?

As I already posted the 17" tires are Hankooks and the 18" tires are Continentals.
    There was no pricing or EPA info. And honestly I'm not sure if was AWD or not. My guess is that it was not. :confuse:
    I still think this is a slap in the face. I don't understand why Ford would roll on Conti's after so many people with so many issues with that P O S tire on the Escape/Mariner. Hopefully it will be a different model.
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    Ford needs to quit playing and design a freestyle replacement off the mazda cx9 platform. It's the perfect way to replace the'style which is too much station wagon! Sometimes it's good to improve ona good thing (500-has some potential) and sometimes it's good to bring w/ the new from the ground up!(see what happened whn ford tried to give 10 yr old Navi a face lift?) and i strongly doubt name would be fairlane
    I take it you haven't heard about the Fairlane?
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Um its called a Ford Edge, but no third row.

Mark
    Like I said, too much station wagon.
    too much station wagon

That's a strange statement since we haven't seen any pictures of it yet. Maybe you're confusing Fairlane with the Freestyle?
    Continental CrossContact for the 18" wheels.

I just got an Edge NewsMag style ad in the mail today. All of the photos show a Copper SEL Plus with 18" Chrome Wheels sporting the Continental CrossContact.

The two-page spread photo of the interior showed the Camel. That's the color of interior that I ordered. It doesn't appear that the color is too yellowish in hue. I am glad about that. It did show a two-toned interior - Camel & Graphite. Graphite inserts in the door, dash and console. Brushed Aluminum and chromed accents. Graphite contrast stitching on the seats and no preforated leather. Looked attractive overall.

MPG reference mentioned mid-twenties. I assume that's hwy. Edge arrival - "Coming late fall 2006."

The "marketing message" of the ad appealed to me. The target market of this ad was definitely not families. It spoke adventure, spontaneity, fun, creativity, and uniqueness.
    Sorry...my 2000 Mountaineer interior was sticking my mind I guess. Please replace all references to Graphite with Charcoal.
    I was referring to the concept. I wonder what the public thought of it.
    I guess I didn't see much station wagon in the concept, that's why I thought you were confused.

Not to squash anyones oppinnion, but I don't find a lot of attractive design in this concopt. was this at the show in 04 or 05?
    2005. And I don't think the production version will necessarily look like that. I'd expect a larger version of the Edge but more SUV like than the Freestyle.
  • porcinimanporciniman Member Posts: 23
    I have an '06 Mercury Montego, FWD.
    I've been reading the suspension specs of the Montego & Edge; they seem to have the exact same suspension systems.
    Front Struts and linked independent supension.
    The reason I bring it up...I'm not thrilled with the Montego ride and am wondering,....would the rides be similar??!!
    I drive livery and when I have 5 passengers (including myself) in my Montego, it rides low; handles dips in the road poorly and bumps, such as bridge expansion/contraction spaces are hard hitting!
    Is there an upgraded suspension/springs I
    could add to the Edge, or am I not seeing something here??
    I know this vehicle weights almost 600 lbs more than my vehicle, so I guess I'm expecting a better ride with Edge's suspension.
    Thanks for any advice.
    VB
  • gene_vgene_v Member Posts: 235
    Think Range Rover will sue?
  • driverdmdriverdm Member Posts: 505
    Had to find some way to get some real money out of them.
    There's much more to it, than just the basic designs of suspensions. The structure, struts, geometry, linkages, etc. all contribute to the feeling/responsiveness of a vehicle.

It'll drive very differently than the Montego...it's sportier overall, and has a better initial bite.
    The ride should be closer to the Fusion/Milan since they're both based on the same CD3 platform.
    That would be interesting - Ford suing itself.... :confuse:
    Thanks for the response Ant, but I'm wondering if the suspension will be sturdier then the Milian/Fusion since the Edge weighs more than 700 lbs more than the cars and has a max capacity of 977 lbs!
    VB
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Let's stick to the vehicle in the discussion title, please. If you need to start a new discussion for other vehicles, be my guest!!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Yes of course, everything is 'thickened' up a bit to make it studier of course. Spring rates differ a bit, some other settings are different as well. It's not really a "Fusion-wagon", there's definately more involved to it. Even the B Pillar, and side crash members are stronger to address side impact protection.
    Our dealership's first Edge and MKX are scheduled.

Still no pricing.

Mark
    The Fleet Manager at the dealership called me this morning to say that my order has been "serialized" and that my Edge has been scheduled for production. :shades:
  • mountainedgemountainedge Member Posts: 1
    Edge Buyers Guide & Technical Specs released. A lot of information can be found elsewhere but I don't remember seeing a lot of these specs. Sadly still no estimated mileage.

Here's the link: http://www.thefusionsource.com/index.php?categoryid=21&p2_articleid=161

Rob.
  • vwgolfiiivwgolfiii Member Posts: 11
    A while back I read somewhere that the mileage is 17/25.
    Nope, it'll be more like 19/27.
    The 17/25 is for the GMC Acadia? Many people including myself have been looking at these two yet to be delivered vehicles even though they are not the same animal and that number seems more in line with the GMC.
    I like ANT's 19/27 numbers better :shades: much better.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have recently purchased a Ford Fusion, Milan, Five Hundred or waiting to purchase the Ford Edge. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 6, 2006 by 5:30 PM PT/8:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    I saw both the Edge and the Saturn Outlook at our state fair today. If you need 7 passenger seating, the Outlook may be the way to go, but I found it typically truck looking and not terribly unique. The Edge on the other hand looked much better to me than the pictures, both outside and inside. If it handles well and ANT's fuel economy is close, perhaps there will be a Ford in my future. It's been a long time since any American branded vehicle appealed to me.
    I sent an email today to the Edmunds addy, since I own a Montego FWD (basically a Ford 500) and am waiting delivery on the Edge AWD.
    The base price on the Montego was $26,000!
    Purchased for $22,500!
    Definately not worth the price in my experience!

The Edge I purchased is black on black, no sunroof, with 18" painted wheels, leather, rear cargo management system and towing package (because of the larger radiator and extra tranny cooling capacity)

I already have a portable GPS and Sirius sat system, so I save a couple of scheckles there.

Depending on the day I go to the Ford build and price site, the price varies by as much as $1000!
    Right now, the build price was $30,180 with the options I ordered.

My dealer's computer showed, that their first delivery is between 9/15---9/25!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's see how accurate that info is!

That..... would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll probably be a good benchmark for the durability of this vehicle, since I'm a livery driver.

I drive between 65-75,000 miles a year.
    I think, that would be a good test as to the reliability/durability of the Edge!!!
    (Maybe the'll give me one for free)
    I can't wait to get rid of my underpowered, stiff riding Montego!

I've driven it for 6 mos. and have 32,000 miles on it....
    The ride is less than stellar
    It bottoms out at highway speeds and is terrible on side streets with poor surfaces!!!!!!!!

For the price my clients are paying, I believe they deserve a smoother, more comfortable and quiter ride than is available in my Montego/500!

We shall see.

Cheers
    Job one starts 11/5/06!

Mark
    Not sure if this is a good sign or not.

link
    How could it not be a good sign?
    I can't believe that production is not until Nov. Is that due to the issues the woman who migrated from Toyota found?
    I think it had more to do with getting the engine production ramped up than anything else. They also seem to be doing a higher than normal amount of pre-production testing to make sure the launch goes smoothly.
This discussion has been closed.