Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa

Comments

• dhauerdhauer Member Posts: 16
    Not to many insurance companies in my state offer gap coverage. This particular person had State Farm and did not have any sort of gap coverage.
    It actually help up relatively well. SUV was traveling at a pretty nice pace when this guy pulled in front of it. Spun the Sentra a few times. Even so I'm pretty sure State Farm is going to total it
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    GAP insurance is usally purchased while in the fiance office at the dealership. Its cheap, about $500, but if you plan on paying alittle extra each month towards your monthly payments, GAP insurance isn't really needed.
    GAP is $400 here and it is figured automatically on any initial payment we quote. If we have to strip a payment out just to try and move a car we will pull the GAP out and let the F&I try to add it back on during closing. And unless you are putting a large sum down or only financing for 36mo or less I would get the GAP. It's worth $400 over 5 years to be on the safe side.
  • berbarberbar Member Posts: 5
    I would like to ask about the average RPMs at which the Versa's CVT works.

And additionally (I've asked this before, yet no answer), I would like to know about selling a pre-owned car (Versa) which has mechanical transmition. Would it be difficult? For example in California?

Thank you.
    for the CVT, 40MPH is about 1500, 60 MPH is about 1800, 70 is about 2100 and 80 is about 2400 rpms.

Now regading your question about the resale value of the Manual Versa.. I think I answered this before, but here it goes again.

In the last 10 yrs, there has been a slow movement to cars with automatic transmissions. Reason for this IMHO is, conveneice, its a pain in the butt to shift all the time, with how traffic has become. In Calif the freeway system is clogged at times and to sit with your foot on the clutch and move 2 oe 3 ft at a time is not convient. So as far as resale goes, a auto or CVT versa would be a better choice, but then again, there are some people out there that are die hard manuel shifter and that is all they want..

This is a personel call..

Tony
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    good explanation on the automatic CVT or the stick shift manual. My wife and I just bought a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with the CVT automatic transmission.

It's funny because I went to the dealer fully expecting to test drive and buy a 5-speed manual Lancer GTS. Turns out they didn't have a GTS Lancer with the 5-speed and the Sun and Sound package. Long story short we test drove and bought the Lancer GTS with the CVT automatic. My wife wants to get her driver's license driving our new Lancer and I wanted to buy at that time and not later so we did it.

It has the paddle-shifters on the steering wheel and cruise control on the steering wheel and you can paddle shift automatic 1 through 6 gears or just leave it in 'D' and move along w/o having to paddle shift. You can also go back down to 1 from 6th gear with the paddle shifters. It's the driver's choice. Audio controls are also on the leather-wrapped steering wheel.

Even though this is a Versa thread and I don't own one nor am I buying one I wanted to chime in on this subject. Most cars(90% of all sold cars)are automatic-trannied cars. It's a good resale business decision for down the road to get an automatic.

Anyhow, we love our new Lancer GTS and y'all enjoy your new or nearly-new Versa's, whichever tranny you choose or chose!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• berbarberbar Member Posts: 5
    Tony,

Thank you for your answer. I apologize if you had answered it before, I never found it.

I would say I am a “die hard shifter” since I learned to drive on manual cars, and “interstate” roads in my country are mostly in the mountains (lots of uphills and curves). Maybe that is why I like to feel more “in control”.

However, from dealers’ inventories I have looked (in CA) on Nissan’s website, ALL Versa SLs are CVT, which doesn’t leave much choice. I think I’ll follow your recommendation.

And thank you for you comprehensive answer about the RPMs.

Cheers.
    no problem and happy motoring...

Tony
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I'm not here to just critize the Versa. I think it's a fantastic car that genuinely an exciting vehicle. But one oddity about it and the new Sentra I'm really puzzled about. I've driven both; bothare really fine cars. However, the manual shift quality on both is so bad that it really kills having fun in either car. And I'm not talking about overtly sporting driving,either. Both cars really clang through each shift...Just no pleasing fluidity to either. Is just in brand new cars? Has anyone else noticed this? I'd really like a Versa as a going-to-work commuter, but I just don't think I could live with the shift...I've never driven a new car so clunky...
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Just like there was a difference in the feel of the clutch and shifter between my Sentra and Altima, my Versa has its own characteristics that I'm getting accustomed to. Took a bit of time to get smoother with it. Don't think I'd ever classify it as "sporty", but it is what it is.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, I noticed the "clunk" on shifting both the Versa and Sentra, but it seemed more pronounced to me on the Versa. I've also noticed this trait mentioned on some but not all reviews of these cars. It was so bad on my test drive of the Versa that if it's not improved by the time I am ready to buy a car, I'll have to go with the CVT or look for something else. Maybe it's something Nissan will address for '08.
    You might think the CVT gets better fuel economy than the automatic, and that is one of the reasons Nissan is pushing CVTs. But there's an interesting article in the May Car & Driver that goes against conventional thinking. The May issue isn't posted on caranddriver.com yet, but the gist of the article is that one of the C/D editors told Charles Ghosn that they didn't think the CVT was better in FE than a regular automatic. So Ghosn arranged to get C/D two Versas to test--one with CVT, one with the 4-speed AT. C/D put both cars through its 250-mile (or so) test loop, and--surprise!--the AT got better fuel economy, something like 33 to 35. The editor theorized that the powerful hydraulic pump used to keep the belts aligned in the CVT saps more power than the AT's torque converter, especially when the AT car is cruising with the torque converter locked up.

Since it appears C/D's test loop is heavily weighted towards highway driving (an assumption based on the distance and the FE obtained in the test), maybe the CVT would do better in city driving, where the torque converter can't lock up as much.

However, the other result C/D obtained in the test is that the CVT is quicker than the AT--about a half second 0-60. So even if the CVT doesn't beat the AT in FE, at least you get better acceleration with the CVT.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,510
    why didn't they run a stick shift at the same time, and answer all the FE questions?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

This was a special "challenge" by C/D that Ghosn responded to: CVT vs. AT. FWIW, when CR tested the CVT and the 6-speed, they got almost identical mpg numbers: 28 overall for the CVT, 29 for the 6-speed. It was 20 city/36 highway for the CVT, 21 city/36 highway for the 6-speed.
    The C/D Article tested a CVT and 4 spd suto, funny thing is, the Auto got better MPG then what the EPA stated..
    the article was about the efficienty of the CVT vs Auto.
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    We'd been thinking a little bit about getting a small SUV, and I test-drove the Versa when I had my Z in for an oil change the other day. Nice little car, could be an excellent city car.

For those of you who've had them for any length of time, do you find the front seat comfortable? It was fine on the test-drive, but I wonder how it would hold up for long interstate drives.

And - not sure where to put this as there's no topic for it - but is anyone else interested in the upcoming Nissan Rogue? That looks like it could be just what we want - a smallish SUV that's good on gas mileage, has a roomy but not huge interior, nice levels of finish, etc. I think we won't buy anything until we see what that one looks like. Supposed to be out this fall, apparently.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I've been on several 2+ hours drives with my Versa and the seat comfort has been just fine for me. I'm hoping that the Versa interior lives up to what I got from my'96 Sentra over 236,000 miles. Other than a couple of stains, those seats basically stayed as comfortable as the day I bought it! :D
  • duffnerduffner Member Posts: 15
    For what its worth, to propective buyers:
    My Versa now has 3000 or so miles. It is a CVT. I didnt like the feel of the manual or auto when I test drove. The CVT felt better so I went with it. It takes some getting used to but I like it now. It has a slight lag getting off the line, but then it really goes pretty fast. It automatically goes into a compression mode coming down steep hills and saves a lot of braking. It has great visibility and interior space. You sit much higher than most regular sedans. The gas milage in town is a flat out 25 MPG. It does about 29 MPG on the highway doing at least 70MPH. It is pretty comfortable on a 2 hour trip.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    I like CVT too. I was quite disappointed when Honda decided not to equip the NA Fit with CVT. In Japan, CVT is the standard transmission of this segment, and it makes a lot of sense.
  • tmporttmport Member Posts: 19
    I test drove an SL hatchback today with the CVT and Convenience Package. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the interior was--a little nicer, I thought, than the Hyundai Sonata GLS w/ Premium Package that I drove immediately after.

Likes: the Bluetooth cell phone system is really cool; the CVT seemed smooth and peppy enough for a small car; the padded arm rests were great.

Dislikes: the trunk/hatchback area was pretty small--smaller than the Focus, and smaller (IIRC) than my old 1988 Mercury Tracer 5-door hatchback. And the lack of fold-flat rear seats is disappointing. None of this is a deal-breaker for me, though.

I'm having a tough time choosing between the Versa and the Sonata. Interestingly, the Sonata is roughly $1000 cheaper (for the trim levels I want).
  • arcadianwingsarcadianwings Member Posts: 5
    I myself was comparing the Versa with Hyundai Elantra before finally going with the former last month. I like the more "airy" feel of Versa's interior (because of the taller roof line). However, Elantra comes standard with almost everything that a driver would need and ask for.

Eventually, it's my lack of confidence in Hyundai reliability and quality that did Elantra in. I owned two Nissans before and decided to go with the "devil" that I know.
    Glad you like your new Versa. FWIW, however, the Elantra has a far superior reliability history over the past six years according to Consumer Reports compared to the Sentra, which is made in the same factory as the Versa. And Hyundai has a superior reliability record overall compared to Nissan over that time. But if you were happy with your other two Nissans, I can see why you would go that route again. I owned two Sentras (from Smyrna) in the past and they were both reliable. Partly for that reason I would consider a Versa, also because of its excellent crash test scores and because like the Elantra, it is a good value in its class.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I just stopped by the dealer and sat in the Versa sedan in the showroom. I tried touching everywhere inside. I have to say that at this sticker price (~$17,200), the workmanship is superior. All four doors shut with a very rich sound similar to that of for example Lexus. Handles above the door are of slow motion, air vents, inner door pulls, etc. are all of high quality.

I will test drive it although I am not ready to buy one yet.

Actually reliability is the top priority of mine.
    Actually reliability is the top priority of mine.

You may want to read this:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/249264
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Thanks for the info.
    In the previous years I had very good Nissan reliability on my 94 Altima and 96 Maxima. Alitma started to have some part replacement at 10 years old. Maxima had none but totaled at 6 years old.

It is also my rule to not buy first year design. I don't want ot be one of the real-world debugging testers for the manufacture. I'd rather buy last year car. Depreciation is not a problem as I keep car for many years.
    In the home country of the Versa, where it is sold under the name of Tiida, this car has compiled an excellent record for reliability. Even though the Versa by design is not a first-year car (it's been around since 2004), to the assembly line in Mexico it IS a first-year model. My suspicion is that the assembly-level issues will be worked out shortly, and the Versa's second year should show quality improvement.

But then again, there have been exceptions like the Quest, Titan, and Infiniti QX56. It does remain to be seen.
  • coil_ninecoil_nine Member Posts: 2
    Which would you choose, a SentraSL or VersaSL sedan? We are torn. (I'll cross-post to the 2007 Sentra forum)

Here in western MA we travel significant distances. Not like AZ, but pretty good.

The SentraSL and VersaSL both have the interior stuff we want, like cruise control.

VersaSL
    The VersaSL has way significantly better rear legroom (we are tall). It ALWAYS comes with a stupid "option" sound and bluetooth package. Who cares about 6 CDs when we use an ipod? Admittedly, some love the bluetooth.

SentraSL
    The SentraSL 2.0 has a bit more power for the distance and probably does not work as hard. Would it be better in the winter weather crud? Is the actual MPG equivalent?
    the Conv package you are talking about is well worth the money, besides coming with 8 disk change, and bluetooth you get Intelli-key. I love this item, I never have to fumble for my keys, just keep them in my pocket, press the little black button on the door and unlock the doors, get in turn the ignition on and drive away. It seems that Nissan is making this item standard Equipment on all of thier new cars..

Ok getting back to your question, are you looking for a sedan or hatchback/wagon? I love my Versa, I just wish it was a little bigger "shoulder width" if the Sentra had a hatchback I would upgrade to that car....
  • rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Member Posts: 154
    Hi. My good friend has a Versa which he loves, except for one thing. Every so often he turns the key and NOTHING happens..no lights, no engine turnover...nothing. If he gets out of the car and shakes the vehicle it will then start (sometimes he has to repeat the shaking routine a few times). Any thoughts on this would be appreiciated. I also posted this message on the Starting Problems board.
    That's a tough one. Personally, I like the hatchback versatility, so I am partial to the Versa, but I do see the strengths in the Sentra as well.

I share your opinion, by the way, about the Convenience Package and other options. The only thing that makes any difference to me in it is the Intelligent Key. And as much as I like the Intelligent Key which I did experience when driving a JDM March, I cannot stand paying $700 for just that (since, like you, I don't care for for other items like Blootooth).

Do you use the rear seat often? Some people, inclduing my household, hardly ever have anyone sitting in the back. The Versa has a tremendous room in the rear, but that would not mean a whole lot if the rear seat is hardly ever used. But if you expect to have it occupied regularly, whoever sits in the back would greatly appreciate the almost limo-like space.

Have you test-driven both? What difference, if any, did you notice?
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    $3,000 in rebates
    and its a Consumers Report "Check" recommended.

Mark.
  • bikedorianbikedorian Member Posts: 48
    $3,000 in rebates

There's a reason they're giving these away. I considered the Focus but it looked cheap (interior especially) and driving it was a long way from inspiring.
    However I have a Versa SL on my lot MSRP $18,800. Discount is 0. Rebate is 0.

Makes the Fusion I have for $19,900 with $1,000 rebate and a few hundred discount look really good.

Mark.
    However I have a Versa SL on my lot MSRP $18,800. Discount is 0. Rebate is 0

Dealer is "0?" I work with a much better dealer.

Makes the Fusion I have for $19,900 with $1,000 rebate and a few hundred discount look really good.

Our definition of "really good" is radically different.
  • lemonhaterlemonhater Member Posts: 110
    As much as I love the versa. It sure ain't an $18,000 car. I would not want to pay more than $17,000 fully equiped.
    Mark, 3K to drive a Ford Focus, there are reason why they are doing this, its an 8 yr old car.....

The Versa is far superior car then the Focus, now if Ford would get off thier but(t)s and bring over the European Focus, I would sell my Versa and get one of those...

Tony
    Well, the question of the Focus vs. Versa is not really about which is better. It's an issue of whether or not the Focus "will do" at $3,000 off.

The way I see it is like this: If I were in a crazy situation in which I'd have to buy my son a new car (unthinkable - I'd get him a new set of snow tires at most), I'd tell him to get a Focus. If I were driving, I'd get a Versa. ;)
    What kills the Focus is the interior. Very dated. It still has a bigger engine that the Versa. Granted only a 4 speed auto which is dated. But handling and ride is better thanks to an independant 4 wheels suspension.

The only point I was trying to make is that at $14,995 the Versa is a pretty good car. at $18,800. I'm not biting.

Anymore than I would buy one of the $27,000 V6 AWD Fusions.

Or $33,000 Altima 3.5 SE with Tech Pkg.

Mark.
    The only point I was trying to make is that at $14,995 the Versa is a pretty good car. at $18,800. I'm not biting.

Like any other auto, the Versa is available @ multiple price points so picking out one point has what value? If you'd pay 14,995 for a fully loaded Versa, who wouldn't? If you'd pay 14,995 for a basic Versa S, dealers would line up to sell it to you.
    No Focus (hatchback & wagon) I test drove recently had as good a ride as the Versa. Go figure.
    What kills the Focus is the interior.

Yup. That is one cheap-looking thang.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Sort of funny that you'd jump from a $15K Versa but that if it went to $19K then you spend another $8K for a Fusion or even $33K for an Altima. Your price range is pretty broad and the cars you're looking at are all a little different.
  • theyurostheyuros Member Posts: 5
    Versa S HB, bought new last week.

I've been driving for about 18 years now, so I *think* I have this whole "starting the car" thing down, but for some reason this car's ignition is fickle. Either that or I'm doing something wrong.

Sometimes it starts fine and others, it takes me several tries for it to start. There is no sound, the "idiot" lights engage, but the car just does not start. I was trying to start it with the doors open (kids don't like climbing into a hot car), and thought maybe that was the problem. No. Do I need to depress the brake? No. I tried stopping on "on" for a second instead of just cranking it over. Again, no sound emanates from the engine. Just like when you try to start your car when it's not in park (yes I have done that, many years ago in college. That AAA guy was VERY understanding!).

Am I the only one with this issue? I feel stupid, like I'm missing a step? SOMETHING??

PLEASE, shed some light on this for me!
    The only thing I can suggest is you turn the key all the way till it stops. The idoit lights engange quite a bit before the car starts. Otherwise take it back to the dealer.
    "The only point I was trying to make is that at $14,995 the Versa is a pretty good car. at $18,800. I'm not biting. "

At $18,800 the versa is no bargin. For that much you could buy a car in the compact class. However most people will pay far less than 18,800.
    Well living here in PHX, we get a lot of cars from mexico up here, today while driving I saw this cream colored car, and noticed the licesne plate and it was from mexico so in my mind it was a car not sold here. To my surpise it was a Tida (or US Versa) sedan. Differenlty not in a color that we can get, but I was very surpised to see the name Tida on the car and not Versa. Here is a link to the mexican Tida web page, interesting to look
    at
    http://www.nissantiidasedan.com.mx/
    funny thing is, the Versa has more room then any compact car...
    Not quite. Both the Sentra and Elantra, considered compact cars although they have mid-sized interior room (as does the Versa!) have more interior room overall. But the Versa may have more usable legroom in back than any of them, especially in the SL with the driver's seat set up high and forward--then it's practically limo-like for the passenger behind them.
    Just helped a friend move some stuff yesterday morning. No way we would have gotten all that into a Sentra. Some items were just too big for a sedan.

David