Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Versa

Comments

• Options
    bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Did you look at the Honda Fit? The hatch opening is pretty square and the floor is totally flat. And it's very easy to park in a tight garage. Despite the small exterior, it has more space behind the 2nd row as compared to a Versa.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Right. That is also why the same automakers that have deleted the side moldings are pleased to offer you, as an option or through their dealers, moldings for $150-300 a pop, which look amazingly like the moldings that used to come standard on the car.

Fewer door dings w/o the moldings? More like de-contenting in the name of cost savings, reduction in weight (every ounce helps for EPA calculations), and a profit opportunity for dealers.
  • Options
    jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    We have recently carried in our Fit a recliner and a dishwasher (boxed) on two separate occasions. The sales people at Slumberland and Sears could not believe that such a tiny car could swallow these things. I think we would have had a harder time with the Versa because of the narrower hatch opening.
  • Options
    zombietom3zombietom3 Member Posts: 74
    "Did you look at the Honda Fit? The hatch opening is pretty square ...." Not exactly. It's less extremely tapered than the versa hatch, but still an impediment to easy loading. (I had a photo link here but it didn't work.)

Here's the other extreme - this is a wide-mouth hatch design:
    http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/evox/stills/gallery/3681_48.jpg
  • Options
    You're right. The Fit hatch isn't square, but just not as tapered as the Versa.
  • Options
    lgainorlgainor Member Posts: 6
  • Options
    bearwitmebearwitme Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2008 Vera HB SL with Convinience package, ABS, and would like to know if the radio that comes with it (6 CD Changes 6 speakers ETC) is pre-wired for xm?? The dealer wanted to much money to install it and I figured I could purchase the xm receiver and install it my self. I understand it is pretty much plug n play (except for the subscription of course). Thanks in advance..

Connie
  • Options
    62impala62impala Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Nissan Versa. I love the car but lately the "Service Engine Soon" light comes on. I've had the car in the Nissan dealership three times but it continues to come on. It doesn't seem to matter if the gas tank is 1/4 full, almost empty or just filled. The gas cap is always secured tightly. I was told that the code is indicating an emmission control issue and they thought it was a sensor in the fuel throat; well it wasn't. I was also told that there are sensors in the gas tank and that's what they'll be focusing on next Monday. Has anyone heard of this issue and how was it resolved; or not? Thanks much!! JC
  • Options
    versa7versa7 Member Posts: 3
    Last night I took our 07 Versa (6M, 4dr SL) to the dealer for an oil change. While I was driving home, the service engine soon light came on. I immediately pulled over and called the dealer. The service rep I spoke to didn't seem too concerned with what I described and said I was fine to drive it and to bring it back in the morning. This morning the dealer ran the diagnostics and determined a bad gas cap was the culprit (emission control issue). They've ordered a new cap, which is under warranty and said this should solve the issue. I asked if they had seen this was common, but of course they wouldn't or couldn't really comment on it. I think they've seen this alot. BTW..When I left the dealer, the light had gone out.
  • Options
    flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    25K miles on never had that problem, in fact you are the first person to say anything about this.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of the Nissan Versa who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, November 27, 2007 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    amckenzamckenz Member Posts: 3
    Have you driven a Fit? I did and it has the worst ride of any compact I've driven. You're right about the back hatch and the access space, but just try taking the Fit out on the highway at 70mph and you will think you are driving a Mack truck! The car vibrates so much it is uncomfortable holding the steering wheel. I drove a Versa SL Hatchback and was pleasantly surprised at how smooth and quiet the ride was at 70mph. The pick was every bit as good if not better than the Fit. I haven't bought yet, but it won't be a Fit. :(
  • Options
    zombietom3zombietom3 Member Posts: 74
    I think any mechanic who hooks a portable diagnostic computer up to the car can reset all data and alerts. It doesn't mean that the alert won't come back on soon though, if the problem persists or is intermittent. The fleet mechanic here told me that it usually takes several trips to trigger most alerts when a condition was not repaired but the alert was reset.
  • Options
    I've driven my Fit on the highway at over 80mph and never had a vibration. My guess is that you had an out of balance tire. Steering and handling are common high points to the Fit.
  • Options
    jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    I asked if they had seen this was common, but of course they wouldn't or couldn't really comment on it. I think they've seen this alot. BTW..When I left the dealer, the light had gone out.

It's not uncommon, if that helps. the sensors for emmision control are very sensitive and it doesn't take much to trigger the check engine light. If the light went out, whatever condition caused it to come on has gone away. In the past, the light used to stay on till it was reset. but with newer cars it will go off if it no longer detects the problem.
  • Options
    Well my fellow Versa owners, the time has come for me to say good-bye. It was hard for me to move on, but the time was right. I was one of the first people to have bought a Versa in the US, and really grown to respect the little car, For the money, in my mind there isn't a better car. But I traded my Versa in on a 08 Altima Coupe, I got a great deal on this car, it was used (yes virginia there are stupid people out there) with 400 miles on it. Its a fully loaded 2.5S I have to say, the next Gen bluetooth is simply AMAZING... Good luck to all..

Tony
  • Options
    What did you get for your Versa?
  • Options
    They paid the lesse off for me the car has 26K miles on it, so Im happy with it. It seems good used Versa are hard to come by..
  • Options
    cathy8cathy8 Member Posts: 37
    I've had the "Service Engine Soon" Issue for the past year. It comes on in conjunction with the engine going into safe mode. To date Nissan hasn't figured out what is causing the problem.

I've scoured the Internet looking for answers and have come across numerous people whose engine lights have come on for a variety of reasons. I hope a new gas cap solves your problem. Let us know if it does.

Cathy
  • Options
    athertonatherton Member Posts: 9
    The Versa appeals to me, although I might not be moved to whistle while I drive like the guy in the commercial. 'Will be trading in my minivan, and even though the Versa is not a replacement for the space, 'was wondering what would be the result of removing the entire rear seat of the hatchback. What would be there ? large steel frame lugs for the seat ? which would be in the way, or hard to cover ? Or holes for bolts, which could be easily filled with shorter bolts ? Probably there is not any carpeting under there. Could a board be set into the seat area that matches the floor height of the hatch area, and cover the rear footwell, maybe with a hinged cover to open and use for storage.

This question will no doubt get alot of bic lighters flashed at me, but if anyone has removed the seat and knows the answer, a reply from them would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Think about a Matrix or Fit as well as the Versa, as they all three have about the same CuFt of cargo space with the 2nd row folded (the Fit a little less than the other two), but the load floor of the Fit and Matrix are totally flat.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Doe anyone know if stability control will be an option on 2009 models of the Versa or Sentra or is Nissan planning to wait until it's mandated by law in the year 2012?
  • Options
    I'd guess they'll wait till 2012 on the lower end cars like versa and sentra. Price is just too important on the entry level cars.
  • Options
    That really isn't an excuse since Nissan offers other options much pricier than stability control (such as the useless "sport package"). Stability control is a $250 option on the Corolla.
    Even if they only offered it on the SL, that would be better than nothing. People buying the SL with Intelligent Key and bluetooth are not looking for the cheapest car they can buy.
    People would make the same rationalization about it being a cheap car if Intelligent Key wasn't offered and someone asked why not.
  • Options
    If stability control is offered, that must necessarily be coupled with ABS. Since ABS is not standard on the Versa right now, it would have to be an ABS-VSC package, which would probably raise the price of the vehicle equipped that way by $500, until such time the volume lowers the cost. It seems like good money to spend, in my opinion, but some may balk. I don't know.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, get used to the idea. In 3 years every car sold in the U.S. will have ESC, which means ABS too.
  • Options
    It is more forgivable to not have it on a lightly equipped base model, but once you start loading up an SL with an MSRP reaching over $19K, you start wondering where the stability control is.

Nissan simply has stability control has a low priority. You can't even get stability control on a fully loaded Altima 2.5 with leather and navigation system and MSRP of nearly $29,000. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    I, too, have issues with Nissan's approach to ABS and stability control. In other markerts, e.g., Japan, Nissan made these things standard equipment for many of their cars. I have a feeling that they try to get away with a different equipment strategy for North America for now because they think they can.
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    You try explaining stability control to a soccer mom!

Please let me know how you would do it. I sell cars and most people just stare at you blankly when you talk about yaw control or skid control or using brakes and cutting engine power to return the vehicle to its intended path.

Mark
  • Options
    Soccer moms or whoever they are need not know how the device works. But the same soccer moms would ask, "Is this car safe?" And if salespeople at other car dealerships say "Ours is safe because it has ABS and stability control, " and the soccer moms find out that this Nissan has neither, they may say, "Whatever these things are, I'd rather have them if they make the car safer."

At least, in theory, the above-mentioned scenario could happen.
  • Options
  • Options
    When I was in IT sales, and when I knew that my system had some features that our competitors did not have, my strategy was to put the fear of God in the prospect, making them wonder what would happen if something did occur and yet s/he chose a different company who could not provide (what my company offered) that would have rescued him/her. This tactic worked, especially when the person was not that technically saavy.
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Two weeks ago I had a 2007 Dodge Caliber 1.8 5 speed (SE with aircon) and a 2006 Chevy Impala LS. 14,000 miles on the Impala and 22,000 on the Caliber.

Anyway as much as I liked having the Impala (my wife gave it to me after she got an Odyssey) it seemed awfully big. And although the 26 mpg I was getting on the Impala on my work commute seemed incredible, given it is an automatic with a V6 (I only got 24 mpg in my prior PT Cruisers on the same commute), I really wanted something smaller.

So I used Edmunds to research and price, and started out by driving the Versa, then the Yaris LB, then the Fit. The First Nissan dealership had some bargain priced 6 speeds, but after all the "luxury" on the Impala I didn't want to give up some of the power options, so I test drove the Yaris with the power package, then finally the Fit. I liked the Yaris best - it's fun to toss around - but it isn't very practical - miniscule trunk, only two doors - and no side curtain airbags.

So although the Fit has the most dated body work, I decided to go with it. Honda obviously invested a lot of money to "win" the 5 start front and side front crash stars, the IIHS ratings, and I was hoping the gas mileage would match my former Yaris (a 2007 I had for 4,000 or so miles). Well I got the base 5 speed and it is a blast to drive, very much a sports car, everything my CRX from the '80s should have been - with incredible storage options.

Only one fly in the ointment - it handles like a sports car, and almost feels "overresponsive" on the freeway. It's rock stable - if I release the steering wheel (with hands cupped around it ready to clamp down) it just tracks straight for the longest time before starting to drift. BUT if you blink an eye and move the steering wheel just a little, the car obediently starts to move in the direction you almost imperceptibly moved the steering wheel. Maybe not the best car for a 400 mile drive to L.A.

Then I remembered the Versa and thought about the Caliber. Once more into the fray! Since I had a new car already, I was under no compulsion to get another one, BUT if the price was right on the new car and the trade...and the Versas all come with BOTH side curtain airbags (front and rear) and side torso airbags (front) a BIG plus these days.

To make a long story short, I now have my "large" car - a Versa. How hilarious. But it "feels" like a big car on the freeway. The only way in which it differs from the other modern, much improved econo-cars, is in having a 6 speed manual transmission with relative close ratios. 6th gear knocks down the rpm significantly compared to the Fit, but by no means is it loafing in the 2's. It is in the 3's at freeway speed, but butting up against 3.5 instead of against 4 as on the Fit, at interstate speeds. It also seems "just at tad" quieter than the Fit.

I think the Versa will be my new "long drive, longer ownership" car (2 years, 30k, use for my solo journeys to L.A.). The Fit will probably go in for trade on the new Fit in '09 (the new Fit sounds GREAT, but I didn't want to wait and figured I would want to have 6-9 months of Fit production before playing "new model roulette"). The Versa isn't expected to get as good mileage as the Fit - that's what the micro-cars are good for - it it should do a little better than the Caliber.

I'm pretty jazzed. I want to take the Versa down to L.A. asap to see how it handles a longer drive.

BTW, although this was the base model, it was refreshing to get a tach and power mirrors - the mirrors are a biggie. I don't care for power door locks or windows (I never even roll down my window, preferring to open the door a crack for the parking ticket spitter) but manual mirrors are a REAL drag. I like to tweak the mirror adjustment, and with manual mirrors, the right side is too darn hard.

The interior on the Fit seems just a little slicker than the Versa, but I think it isn't a matter of build quality so much as it is a "young" design mandate (Fit) vs. French family (Versa/Tiida).

I'll report back on mileage. I am hoping for 32 mpg. BTW the engine is so eager to rev, I wonder if some users with bad mileage results might not just be "enjoying" their Versas too much.

And yes, I agree with the reviewer who opined that the ride is similar to the cushy ride on the old Renault 10!
  • Options
    Congratulations on your Fit AND Versa! You are becoming an even greater asset to this board, since you now have the rare ability to be able to report on the two vehicles that often directly compete in the marketplace and get on the shopping list of many who are considering cars of this segment. I will look forward to getting further reports from you! :)
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Scion xA, right, micweb? Toss us a few xA comparo's to the Fit and Versa every so often, OK? That's true, this board will be a more interesting one now that micweb owns both a Versa and a Fit!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    and of course I'll share my thoughts and impressions!
  • Options
    it's cool to chat with you again, we're a couple of oldtimers here on Edmunds. I now drive a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and love it to the full. I contemplated changing my nickname to iluvmylancergts there for a minute or two!

But I like Nissan's Versa and Scion's xA, too, hence my interest in this thread and what's goin' on with those rigs.

• Options
    The Lancer GTS should be pretty nice! Congratulations! As I get to know the Fit and Versa better, I'll report back on their respective forums. Yeah we're old-timers, but our cars are new!
  • Options
    it is hard to resist pulling the trigger on getting a new rig every so often. In your case every quite often!

• Options
    g35johng35john Member Posts: 12
    I have had my Versa SL hatchback for 2 days now. I have it loaded up with everything you can get. Unfortunately this includes the Rockford Frosgate sound system. Its HORRIBLE. I cant believe Nissan charged extra money for it. The Versa is a great little (that feels big) car. Then they mucked it up with a crappy system. Fortunately that can be fixed.
  • Options
    This morning I darn near tried to put my Honda Fit into 6th gear!

Which isn't funny, considering:

1. To put the Versa into 6th gear, you put pressure on the shift lever to the right as you pull down to the right (if you don't press the shift lever to the right, you'll end up in 4th gear instead of 6th gear).

2. To put the Fit into REVERSE, you you put pressure on the shift lever to the right as you pull down to the right - in other words the same body mechanics as putting the Versa into 6th.

Now the Versa cleverly puts reverse safely way, way out of harm's way, in the upper left hand corner. On the left side of 1st. Plus to get there, you have to pull up on a safety collar on the shift lever to release the safety lock-out.

At first I was fretting about trying to put the Versa into reverse and landing in 6th gear instead (since that is where reverse is, on most stick shift cars). But landing in 6th gear doesn't really hurt anything. You just don't go anywhere.

On the other hand, shifting into reverse on the Honda at freeway speeds by accidentally shifting into a phantom 6th speed position would be a real disaster.

This is the point where I wish ALL manufacturers installed "safety lockouts" on reverse on manual transmission cars. Pull up on a collar, push down on the shift knob, I don't care, but sure as there is a science of failure analysis, someday someone is going to drop their car into reverse on the freeway and totally trash their transmission. All as the result of "learning" to shift into 6th gear on the new wave of 6 speed manual transmission cars! :mad:
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Not sure it's a negative, but definietly a quirk :P

I found myself trying to put our 5-speed Altima into 6th gear as well for the first 5 months or so after we got the Versa. I'm pretty much over it now.

Odd thing is I'ver never tried to put the Altima in reverse by going left and up or the Versa into reverse by going right and down. Funny how the brain works!
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    someday someone is going to drop their car into reverse on the freeway and totally trash their transmission.

Its happened before. A friend of a friend of mine (yes I have met him and he confirms he did it) accidently shifted into reverse doing around 80 on I-180.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    But I'll tell you, the Altima lets me know in no uncertain terms that I'm about to make a HUGE mistake if I try to find 6th gear.

I can't imagine blindly slamming it into reverse.

I'm finally used to my gas filler cap being on the passenger side too ;)

It's not a defect, just the way it is!
  • Options
    It would be very hard. most cars have a "lock" where they won't let you go from a forward gear directly into reverse. I'm not sure if you could do it even if you were trying to.
  • Options
    Yes it is very hard to do but the key word in your post is most. This incident was 8 to 10 years ago and it was in an old car (IIRC a Toyota but could be wrong) so its model year was from the mid to late 80's. The car either wasn't equipped with it or it had stoped working or this guy somehow just overrid the thing.

IIRC I had a 70's era Camaro that didn't have a lock they just didn't have reverse inline with any forward gear.

• Options
    thats why I said hard and not impossible. I don't doubt a very determined indivudal could destroy his transmission by putting it in reverse while driven 50 mph.

but your missing the point. the point is, unlike what others were saying, its not somthing you have to worry about, because the car pretty much wont let you. your not going to accidently put it into reverse because the configureation of the gears reminds you of another car.
  • Options
    Oh I agree unless there is a defect in the locking mechanism the likelihood of getting into reverse while driving forward is pretty much null.

• Options
    Quieter than my former Caliber, not twitchy like my current fit, an excellent freeway car. Took if from Oakland to Monterey today and it was fatiguing to drive at interstate speeds. Just a notch below the Impala in terms of quiet. Not bad for a $12k (plus tax, licensing) vehicle!
  • Options
    irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    I have a question. Both the sedan and the hatchback are neat little cars, but I notice there's not a lot of room between your feet and the front bumper. Does this worry you at all, in the event of a front-end collision in this car? I guess I worry about the lack of hood in between driver and passenger and the front bumper. In older cars it seemed like you were safer, better protected because the engine bit the dust before you did. What are your impressions, after owning this car a while now?