Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa

Comments

• allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    When is the next-gen Focus being introduced here? I remember reading that they would do that before the Fiesta, otherwise the Fiesta would decimate Focus sales.

Meanwhile, the Europeans already have the new Focus. The closest we can get is the Mazda3 or Volvo S40.

Anyway, it'll be cool to have the Fiesta. The current model is a sharp little car. It should compete well with the Versa, Yaris, Fit, etc. Now Mazda needs to bring their little Mazda2 over!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Fiesta is a smart move by Ford. The more I read about the current auto industry and what Ford Motor Company is doing the more I see them recovering here domestically than GM.

Why? Because of the new Fusion mid-size car for one reason. Look at what it offers. Sharp, crisp design and way more than adequate driving capabilities. Ford has priced it competitively as well.

Ford needs a solid, dependable seller in the small car range and the Focus just seems to confound Ford's own engineers. Look at how many recalls they've needed with that car. The Fiesta will give them that and Mazda's Mazda2 is destined for success, too. Good moves. Noggins are still operating amidst the smog. Refreshing.

OTOH-Nissan's new Versa is dull and strange-angular looking. It is just another example of sub-par body style engineering by Nissan. Looks cheap and probably is very cheap. I'm not impressed at all by it.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    The Mazda 2 is too boxy for me. The lines from the side to the rear evokes a 70's econo hatchback, while the front looks like old Mazda Protege. I cannot say the same for the Fiesta. Between the two, Fiesta is a winner. OTOH when you consider the offerings from Honda, Toyota and Nissan, its a different story. As it is my favorite is the Versa, Yaris, Fiesta and Fit.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    the Ford Fiesta.

I also prefer the Focus that the rest of the world gets, but that is another story.
    Well after reading the review of the Yaris here, My mind is almost made up that my next car will be the Nissan Versa SL or Lexus IS250 RWD. I dont need to wait for the Honda Fit, I've seen it personally and it doesnt excite me. The Yaris doesnt come with the configuration that I want , 5 door HB. I like the Ford Fiesta but I dont know when Ford will bring it here. If ever they bring it here, my advice, for their sake is , dont mess with the interior. Dont do anything on the interior like you did on the Ford Focus. I like the Kia Rio 5 SX except for the black body cladding and the name Kia. I'm sorry but I still couldnt get myself to buy and drive a Kia and the black body and bumper cladding doesnt help. Its like I have no option but to choose black exterior color. The Mazda 2, forget it its a ho-hum design. The Hyundai Getz looks better.
    These are two TOTALLY different cars. For the price of an IS250, you can get TWO Versas.

I like the Yaris sedan. It'd make a nice car for my wife who prefers little cars that are easy to park. (although she's been warming up to the Infiniti slowly)
    I have test driven the IS's and found the 250 enough for the roads/freeways here in Texas. The 350 is an overkill in my opinion. Beside, I dont go for the 0-60 or 1/4 mile stats. The stats I'm concern about is my driving record stats and bank account stats. Racing on public roads is for complete idiots IMO. AT this age, I'm in my mid 30's, I think I deserve to dip a little in the pot of luxury but not break the bank in doing so.
    Going back to the Versa. I would want to test drive it first of course. It would be nice driving a Nissan again.
    Why don't you give the G35 a try if you want to own a Nissan again?
    One of the criterias in choosing a car is styling . I dont like the styling of G35. I consider the IS or the TL the best looking car that I can afford today. People complain about the performance and stuff but who are you going to race? Most of the cars on the road are the Camrys, the Accords, the Altimas , the SUV's, the minivans and the trucks. How difficult it is to merge on the freeway? How difficult it is to overtake these vehicles? People think that theyre in some kind of danger not driving 250+ HP cars. Common, most of the cars on the road have just 4 cyl. engine.
    It's funny how people think they need so much power but-
    A) The vast majority couldn't tell you how much hp their car has if their lives depended on it,
    B) Even more of them will never use more than half the available power.

I've always been a fan of eating what's on my plate, but not ordering more than I need. My current 160hp/5-speed manual (Mazda3) is plenty for my needs. I am envious that the Versa gets a 6-speed, though. I wonder if the Honda Fit will have one also?
    I notice when you go to the Versa site thru NissanUSA.com, it shows "Hatchback Available Summer 2006". Will it be first and the Sedan later?
  • harrycheztharrychezt Member Posts: 405
    that is correct.
    We got burned on a 1997 200sx, so we are Nissan-shy, so-to-speak, these days.

If this is mainly a Renault Megane(sp?), it may be interesting for us.

Also, what are 0-60 times? That would be important, due to lot of merging onto hwy traffic areas.

NVH would be somewhat of a deal breaker, also.
    our 90 sentra was a great car, especially compared to the so called entry level cars today,which, by comparison, seemed louder, slower, and not quite as solidly built, either.
    Anyhow, I read the hatchback is 169.1 inches long, and the sedan 175.9.
    They are calling these sub-compacts?
    Also, read 120HP/125 torque.

The Hatch is about same length as the Suzuki Reno.

Read 38 mpg is combined?

Guess we will have to wait and see,and drive one for ourselves next Summer/Fall.

NVH is also another factor. Seems lot of small cars are loud anymore, at least if you have to "floor it", from say 0-45 mph.
    Rio sedan I tested was loud, if you had to keep moving with traffic(flooring it). Once you hit 45, or take off slowly, fairly quiet.
    I guess that's why these small cars have loud stereos :D
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    They are calling these sub-compacts?

If as advertised the Versa can comfortably hold five adults, it would likely be in the EPA "compact" class at the least, based on interior volume, possibly even in the mid-sized class (e.g. the Elantra sedan, which is about the same length as the Versa sedan, is in the EPA "mid-sized" class.
    I would guess that 0-60 times will be in the high 8 sec.
    Curb weight is at 2574lbs
    Versa's dimension in millimeter(divide by 25.4 for inches)

The new Bluebird Sylphy was released in Japan last week.

The previous Bluebird Sylphy was marketed as the Sentra in Asia. Will this new Sylphy be the new Sentra? I cant wait for the NAIAS.
    I have heard that Nissan will take the next Sentra up-market, leaving room at the bottom for the Versa, so maybe that IS the next Sentra (hope hope). However, the Sentra in Asia looks different than the Sentra we have here.
    I agree. A 4 cylinder is plenty enough for most Americans.
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    a 4 cylinder hatchback with rwd and a stick is ALL I need
    Nissan has only themselves to blame for consumer’s lack of enthusiasm to Versa and Sentra. The Sentra was last redesigned 6 years ago. Although it bested its contemporaries after its release, it was left behind immediately after a year with the introduction of the new Civic in 2001 , Corolla in 2002 and Mazda 3 in the 2003.

IMO, the last generation Sentra was designed without foresight. The physical aspect of the car and the powertrain was immediately outdated by the superior offering from the competitor. Worse is, they left the car in cold storage for half a decade.

And now the new Sentra has just been announced at NAIAS; pictures and press released were all over the Internet ; and yet nobody is taking notice, not even here at Edmunds. Even the lowly Accent and Rio has its discussion forum months before the release but none for the Sentra.

I’m really excited about the redesign. Initial information are encouraging but the MPG leaves a lot to be desired. A 29city/36 hwy for a car with CVT isn’t cutting edge by any means. Designing a car that is suppose to beat the present competition doesn’t work anymore. By the end of the yer the new Corolla will be in and in a couple of years the Mazda 3.
    I don’t even know which class the new Sentra is competing in. Considering the size of the Versa I would hope that it’s larger than the Civic and Corolla but smaller than the midsize Camry and Accord. I don’t know any car that is positioned between those. With its size, I hope that front/ rear headroom, legroom and shoulder room will be class leading. Storage options are unbelievable! I love the trunk and how the 60/40 split reat seats/ fold flat.
    The price however isn’t final yet. The base model has power everything, 6 spd manual and 2L 135 HP engine with CVT and SAB as option. That’s a nice packaging and I hope they keep it that way. Nissan knows who they’re competing with so they shouldn’t price this out of the competition.
  • agalasagalas Member Posts: 38
    Check out the Nissan website, Versa looks good

CVT wagon, (SL) with ABS and Side Airbags also has security, power everything and comes in at $16,300 including destination.

Including Tax, liscence and registration, and assuming a $750 discount at some point, the Versa is a $17,000 drive out the door car that gets 38 mpg, and is comfortable, relativly sporty and has a good beige interior.

Assuming the reliability is better than the crap Nissan has been pulling lately, and by that I mean, Toyota or Honda quality, it will do well against the Fit.

Although the Fit does have the benefit of being a $14,500 drive out the door, manual version. But it only gets 35.5 mpg, an abomination.

Overall, I am excited as hell about the recent explosion of small cars. Its about time we good people got some cars and not just the gas guzzling bastards in the SUVs,(drivers of suv hybrids are exluded from this remark).
    The other thing to keep in mind is that Nissan is known to offer rebates on their vehicles, and Honda does not. So the OTD pricing on comparably-equipped cars (Versa and Fit) might be much closer.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee8e57c

Photo slideshow too!
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    I think the matrix is its major competitor and it's due for a redesign with the new corolla.

Sorry, but the dash already look outdated (for a brand spanking new 2006 design)and abs is still optional
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    Has the 38 mpg rating on the Versa been officially announced as the "combined" fuel economy, or is it just one of those "up to 38 mpg" because there is a big difference there.

The Fit receives 33/38 for the manual
    The Yaris receives 34/40 for the manual

I can only imagine that the Versa receives 38 for the highway in a manual, just like the Fit. The Versa is larger, no doubt heavier, has a larger engine, and will probably be geared similarly to the Fit or Yaris.

So in the end, the Fit's so-called "abomination" might be just the same as the Versa.
    The Nissan spokesperson quoted in the original announcement last fall was quite clear that it was 38 mpg combined.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla Member Posts: 707
    It's pretty sad that the biggest car of the three (Fit, Yaris, and Versa), with the highest weight, and the biggest engine is going to have the highest fuel efficiency of them all.

Looks like Nissan is the place to go for high MPG vehicles with decent power.
    I hope for our sake you are right. Lets see a comparison between two engines from Versa and Sentra:
    Versa 1.8L w/ CVT Sentra 2.0L w/ CVT
    120 HP 135 HP
    38 combined MPG??? 29city/36 hwy/32.5 combined

Something is not right. A 0.2L difference in displacement equals to a 15HP gain. Did they detuned the 1.8L engine to achieve a higher MPG? I
    Maybe they did. Also I suspect the new Sentra is heavier than the Versa.
    The Versa gets something the Fit and Yaris don't- a 6-speed manual. There's also a CVT available on the SL model. Both are features that are unique in this class, to my knowledge.
    That should do wonders for acceleration in the Sentra, NOT!

The current Sentra (excluding SE-R models) is a slug and it appears the new one will continue that heritage. I know none of the cars in this class really need massive amounts of power, but you'd think the car from the folks who build the Altima SE/SE-R and Maxima would give their entry level a little more kick.

Perhaps they could fit the 2.5L from the Altima into the Sentra for the SE version like they currently do?
    I don't know how heavy the new Sentra will be, but my '01 Elantra is close to 2800 pounds and has a 2.0L, 135 hp engine (like the Sentra), and it's no slug. No drag racer, either, but it will do 0-60 in the low 8's with the 5-speed. The Sentra will have a 6-speed standard. So it should have more than enough getupandgo for many economy car drivers.

I'd prefer the Versa to the Sentra, though--more versatile, better fuel economy, and a lot less expensive.
    Lets not forget that the HP rating would be inline with the new SAE testing methods. Also torque/rpm figures as well as weight contribute to how the car will perform.
    I too would prefer the Versa with sport package and 6 spd manual.
  • cam8cam8 Member Posts: 2
    I recently spent some time in China and got a chance to see both the Fit and the Versa on the road. The fit is a sharp little car but looks really small, on the other hand the Versa has much sportier profile and almost looks as big as VW golf. I think the conventional hatchback design looks way better then the wedge look of the Fit.

Can’t wait to see how the Versa performs on the road, I will definitely be taking the 6sp out for a test drive. Hopefully the FE numbers will be on par with 38mpg combined that has been presented by Nissan.
  • cabrinimancabriniman Member Posts: 3
    I can't wait to test drive the Versa! I have been pricing it out on Nissan's website and think it would be an excellent commuter car. I always get towards the high mileages in the given ranges (ie in my spec-v I get 27-28 mpg consistently) so I imagine I will get at least 38 mpg which would be sweet!

I like the styling and the modern options (mp3 jack, smart key) are nice as well. The best part will be the 6 speed transmission! I don't think I could go back to a 5 speed again. :)
  • cam8cam8 Member Posts: 2
    The modern options are great but I wish it would get the trip computer like the new sentra..
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    The current Sentra (excluding SE-R models) is a slug and it appears the new one will continue that heritage.

I can definitely understand your concerns but with the CVT available the Sentra won't be slow, mostly because the car will always "be in the right gear ratio" for decent acceleration performance. :)
    Just got back from Nissan's website and sure enough, the 38 combined MPG has been confirmed. This isnt one of those "up to 38 MPG" that you will find on the Honda Fit. What a shame for Honda. So many Honda fans had predicted that the Fit will be the leader of the pact in terms of MPG. This time they're wrong, totally. I can proudly say the Versa is the roomiest, the most powerful, has the most features and the most fuel efficient car of the bunch. Bravo Nissan!
  • vchiuvchiu Member Posts: 564
    I live in China /Shenzhen
    I bought the Fit after having carefully considered the Tiida/Versa for the following reasons :

1) Versa only comes with a 1.6 engine, which basically performs like the 1.5 in the Fit, but the Versa is much larger and heavier, so performance can be considered as mediocre.
    strangely enough, the Versa top speed is rated at 180 km/h against 168 Km/H for the fit. I will check by myself, but it seems the Fit specs claims quicker speed pickup though.

2) pricewise, the Tiida here costs 30% more, that is about 20K USD, if well equipped. I bought my Fit for about 15K USD.

had the Versa been proposed with a 2.0 engine, my choice would probably have been for the Tiida.

imho, the Tiida Cabin is ways better than the Fit. it looks higher end and with smooth/nice surfaces.
    http://www.nissan.com.cn/vehicles/tiida_2/interior.html

With the fit, I just had the choice of black board and panel trims, which downgraded the car.

The Tiida offers much more leg room in the back, and is 35 cm/ 14 inches longer, so I think it is not exactly the same segment as the fit.

a Tiida with a 150/160 HP 1,8 L Turbo engine would be an interesting offer indeed, but this is unlikely to happen

It seems the Tiida has a quiet cabin if I trust the figures I saw in Chinese test magazines.
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    "I can proudly say the Versa is the roomiest, the most powerful, has the most features and the most fuel efficient car of the bunch."

It might be the roomiest, but if you compare the exterior dimensions to the interior, the Fit wins in relative interior size and versatility. The Versa has nothing like the Fit's Magic seats with Utility-Long-Tall-Refresh modes.

Will the Versa really have standard side airbags, side curtain airbags, CD player, A/C, power windows/mirrors/locks, tachometer all at a price of a base Fit?

I am very impressed by the Versa's estimated fuel economy though. I wonder what the actual EPA economy will be. Kudos to Nissan very making such a large engine with 38 combined.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I too am surprised that the Nissan website is now saying 38 combined not just a press release. Is that for the CVT only? Can the 6 speed manual match those numbers? I wonder what is so different about the US version. It appears in Asia that the Versa with the 1.8 can't even match the Fit with the 1.5.

I think the Versa interior is rather spartan when compared to the Fit, and the exterior looks a little too Renault/mini-Quest like. I still would have to consider the Versa though if it can get 38 combined with the 6 speed manual (I don't want to pay $1000+ for the CVT). I wonder since it is more Civic/Corolla/Mazda3 sized if it won't sticker more in the 17-20k range once it is well equipped (power options, cruise, keyless).
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The fuel economy numbers are impressive - anybody know what the actual numbers are for highway and city. The Fit could have easily matched those numbers if it had a 6th gear that brought the busy rpm's down on the highway.
  • razalonrazalon Member Posts: 7
    A few things I remember reading too about the Versa is that they did something to the skirts to reduce friction, and they also have the power steering run off electric. These both were done in efforts to improve the fuel economy.

Right now I will probably get the base Versa, or one with the CVT. If the mpg difference is minimal I will probably go with the 6 speed base like my 350Z had.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A reporter is looking to speak with a Southern California resident who is interested in the Fit, Versa and/or Yaris. Please send an e-mail to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Monday, January 30, 2006 containing your city of residence, your daytime contact information and your opinion of these vehicles.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• snifflessniffles Member Posts: 34
    I found this article on the Internet and it talks a little more about the Versa MPGs with the different transmissions.
    If my math is correct the 6 speed manual should get about 36 MPG combined and the automatic about 33 MPG. The CVT of course is rated by Nissan as 38 MPG combined. The Versa looks like a real interesting car. I will consider it when it becomes available.

http://www.newcartestdrive.com/sneakpreview.cfm?Vehicle=2007_Nissan_Versa&Review- ID=89
  • gotenks243gotenks243 Member Posts: 116
    Note that Nissan also says the "38 mpg" is a 'pre-EPA' number. It's possible that it's the raw data, before being adjusted by the EPA to more closely reflect real world driving conditions.

The EPA deflates the numbers by something like 20%, so don't be surprised if the EPA combined number for the CVT is more like 30. It would be nice to get 38, but this isn't a particularly small car or small engine.

I do still hope I'll be pleasantly surprised, however.

Mike
    Does the pre-EPA figures of Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris affected by your "20% deplation" too or just the Nissan Versa?
  • razalonrazalon Member Posts: 7
    I just got a 2006 Sentra 1.8S auto special edition loaded. With the rebate, I got all the options I wanted plus more for about the price that the base Versa builds at on the Nissanusa.com site (with power options). I still will hit the car show to take a look, but I couldn't pass up on the Sentra. Good luck all.
  • mindaugusmindaugus Member Posts: 20
    So far it looks great Nissan. It looks like at least another Japanese car manufacturer gets it. Pay attention American manufactures. Maybe you can buy some of these, rebadge them, and sell them less than you paid for them. Might cut some losses. You get it Nissan! Gen Y applauds.
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    I can proudly say the Versa is the roomiest, the most powerful, has the most features and the most fuel efficient car of the bunch. Bravo Nissan!
    ----------------------------------

Yeah, I think they have a winner. It looks like a mini Murano. Car and Driver described the Element as a Hummer-Mini lovechild. And the Versa is a Mini-Murano. :D
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I like a lot about the Versa, but there are two big drawbacks.

1. Not mini-Murano; it looks much more like a mini-Quest. Not a good thing.

2. Made in Mexico.
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    I like a lot about the Versa, but there are two big drawbacks.
    ---------------------------------

One drawback I noticed is the tailgate is very narrow at the bottom. Not the best shape for sliding in a wide object.

But...the Versa is bigger and more powerful than its' new rivals, the Fit and the Yaris. And it appears it will get as good or better mpg.