Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa

backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
The Nissan Versa has just been announced for the U.S and Canadian markets. Called the Tiida in other markets, it looks like a strong entry in the low-end car class, which includes the Chevy Aveo, the Honda Fit, the Toyota Yaris, and the all-new-for-'06 Kia Rio/Rio5 and Hyundai Accent.

So let's talk about it!!

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    we're getting the micro cars that are so good in other countries!

Will it get 50MPG without a Hybrid?
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I had hoped that Nissan would sell the Note in the USA.

However, I can understand why they're selling the Tiida derivative here. The upcoming small sports car Nissan will sell in the USA is based on the Tiida, so both the new sports car and the Versa can share the same production tooling.
    I like it so far.

What's the preliminary MPG numbers?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Nissan has stated 38 overall mpg.
  • giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    I had hope that they would sell the Micra/March. I dont know whether the Versa will compete with the upcoming Yaris or Jazz but since both cars are bigger than Micra, I can understand why theyre bringing the Renault Clio.. oops sorry Nissan Versa I mean. I guess the French wants a piece of the American market.
    The car is not bad aesthetically. I will hold my conclusion after I see the specs.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    had hope that they would sell the Micra/March. I dont know whether the Versa will compete with the upcoming Yaris or Jazz but since both cars are bigger than Micra, I can understand why theyre bringing the Renault Clio.. oops sorry Nissan Versa I mean.

I think the Versa--if the production quality is good--could be a hot seller. Remember, Nissan said the CVT automatic will be an option on the Versa (something I defintiely want), and given the excellent interior space the Versa could be popular with American drivers because it could accommodate American-sized passengers easily.

I can understand why Nissan didn't want to sell the March/Micra in the USA--the car's interior space is too small for American-sized passengers.
    With rising gas prices, the sudden piling of mileage on my efficient Civic, and the rise in Civic prices, something like the Versa could be a nice third car for me.

Because then I wouldn't have to drive my Odyssey so often (which will be traded in the next 1-2 years) and as everybody knows, the Odyssey doesn't exactly get great gas mileage. It gets good mileage for a van, but I don't always need room for 7 and their luggage.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033

This looks like a rebadged Renault.
    That's because it is based on a Renault design. Thanks for the pics. I think it's quite stylish, considering its price range (starting at $12k). Much classier than the Yaris for sure, and more substantial looking than the Accent sedan. I think I like the Rio5 better than the looks of the 5-door though. Needs better wheel covers, though.
    Give it some alloys and it'll sell.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    but then again I just don't see eye-to-eye with Nissan products. The 4-door looks better than the 5-door but both just reek of Sentra-Maxima schmaltziness to me.

Just like a lot of people love the looks of the Mazda3 but to me I see a lot of Mazda's "blocky, chunky" design movement going on, to an unsatisfying degree.

The Scion tC, Kia Spectra and Spectra5 are both much more appealing than the Mazda3 IMHO.

As for the Nissan Versa, a lot will like it and it should sell OK, but it has a lot of competition in the U.S. I liked the Micra more but it's true, Americans would pop each other out it's doors into the street, we're so big! :)

The 2007 Toyota Yaris looks way better than the Nissan Versa to me.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Theres a lot more pics of the hatch and sedan, both inside and out, and you can even build/configure as you choose, with Nissan doing their market perceptions pricing studies again.... looks like a LOADED hatch with the CVT *could* top at $19,500... but thats with literally everything, including keyless start, Bluetooth, moonroof, top audio. I am VERY interested to see the power, torque, and efficiency figures for this engine and the seemingly impressive transmission choicees- 6M and CVT

~alpha
    Don't see mpg ratings listed anywhere and I notice aux input and cruise control are only available on the SL model.
    Styling looks really dated. 1990's Renault.
    Reminds me of how old the Infinit M coupe looked when that car first came out.
    A somewhat surprising feature to see on a car of this price...
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    does seem a little bland....
    Put some nice alloys on it, make it a decent color like red or blue and then let's see. Not every small car needs to come from the gee-gaw school of car design. To me it looks a lot like the Mazda3s, and no one call that car bland.
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    the interior design looked quite dated, and the rear seats do not fold flat in the hatch, what gives?

unless there was a problem with crash test, nissan should have bring over the cube
    To me the interior is rather plain, but not in a cheap way (which the Focus is, IMO). It's not as flashy as the dash from the Yaris (and doesn't have the center-mounted gauges, thank goodness!), and it doesn't have the curves of the Rio/Accent dash, but I could live with it just fine.
  • mahasmahas Member Posts: 1
    Nissan said the USA Versa will be manufactured in Nissan's Aguascalientes, Mexico plant. I read that this is the same plant that has been producing the US Sentra cars. Does anyone know of the quality level of the Sentra or any other cars coming from this plant?

I heard that car quality depends a lot on the plant it comes from.
    Price isn't that great since you have to upgrade to the top of the line model to get things as basic as cruise control.
    Exterior styling looks very awkward and out of date already. Interior styling is plain, but could be spun as "clean and simple."
    Now, what does it have going for it? The gas mileage had better be better than all the competition or there is little reason to buy this car.
    Seems about as competitive and attractive a choice as the current Mitsubishi Galant is to an Accord/Camry or even Sonata.
    Sentra is rated Below Average (half black circle) for predicted reliability by Consumer Reports, based on worse-than-average reliability for '02 and '03. It improved to Average for '04.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    Nissan seems to be slipping in reliability. Hyundai overtook Nissan in JD power (in both initial quality and long term dependability) and it seems Hyundai is doing better in CR to.
    I think this is mostly a city car, and Cruise Control isn't something necessary.

Although loaded up it costs $17K, which is a litle shocking. I'd rather forgo the Keyless Go for the Civic LX.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I think the Clio is a better looking car. Some how the nissan just isn't as fluid as it should be. The sedan is Horrific. I like the Yaris interior better. It is going to be hard to beat Kia on price and equipment. I have read some high praise for the Rio5's steering and responses. I will have to see it in person before I can make a full evaluation.
    Arent the official prices- they are simply used to gather market data. Not sure how that all works, but I'd bet you wont see those numbers be the actual ones. When Nissan did the same with the new M series Infiniti, prices varied widely.

~alpha
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    as I've stated on the "Low-End" forum recently, I am on my 2nd Kia in a row and am totally impressed with both of them. I like the new '06 Kia Rio sedan, even in black, with those large side mouldings blendly neatly in.

I am adding the '06 Kia Rio sedan and Kia Rio5 to my futures list and would love to test drive them both. Kia's in general are just so hard to beat on price, feature content, Warranty and even performance, as you have mentioned on Rio5's steering and response feedback. Interested in how both new Rio's are performing for owners.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• avemanaveman Member Posts: 122
    I like the look of the Versa.The less brand new parts the better conserning reliability. I would definately want the manual transmission. Even though clutch replacement isn't covered under warranty, I think I would still come out ahead on maintenace cost if something were to go wrong with the CVT after warranty. The Clio is up for Euro car of the year award.I learned to drive a stick shift on an old renault Dauphne.
    The Clio is butt ugly. Look at the front of the Clio. Horrible! Also the Clio sedan, looks to me like a Daewoo of the 80's. And dont even ask me about the Renault Scenic. What a joke.
  • allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    Nissan now has the Versa on its website and you can build and price your own. I couldn't figure out how to get there from the main page, but here is a link that will work-

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/0,,action-NVersa_topicId-1_pageId-123147,00.html
    After playing around on the Nissan website, I'm definitely interested to see the Versa for myself. I found a few things odd and some surprising features on such an inexpensive car.

The 6-speed manual is a definite suprise as is Bluetooth capability and Intelligent Key (though optional) are welcome features. I'm sure to keep prices down, they didn't include ABS/side airbags as standard. I consider this a plus as I would skip this $700 option if keeping the price low was my main objective.

The base S model isn't available with cruise control, even with the optional power package. The S also doesn't have an AUX input which I think should be standard as it is on the current Sentra. The S could also use a wheel upgrade option, those standard wheel covers do nothing to flatter the car and an alternative would be nice.

The Rockford Fosgate stereo isn't available on the sedan, only on the SL hatchback. It's only a $300 upgrade, but requires the $700 convenience package to get it.

Prices can get too high if all options are selected, the SL 5-door with CVT and all options has a sticker of $19,855 . If this car is the same price as a Civic or Mazda3 it doesn't make a lot of sense. With minimal options, say the S with power package for $14,255 or SL w/ no options for $15,555 it's a strong value.

I may have to check out the SL 6-speed manual when it arrives.

BTW, when will it arrive???
    I played with the Versa website also (really slow) and found that a SL hatchback equipped the way I'd want it, with 6-speed, convenience pkg (Bluetooth etc.), and ABS/bags is about $16,500. That's not too bad at all compared to, say, an Elantra 5-door that lists for $15,775 with a moonroof but w/o a 6-speed, alloys, CD changer, side curtains, Bluetooth, Intelligent Key, and a few other things. And it's still less than a Civic LX but with much more equipment--and the Civic doesn't have a hatch. If the Versa really does hold "five full sized adults" as the Web site says, and gets good fuel economy, it could be a real nice package.

Nissan has stated the Versa will be available in the U.S. in the fall of 2006.
    Those prices ARE NOT final, we;ll see where they end up.

alpha
    Yes, I noticed the disclaimer on the Web site. It's fun to play "what if" though. And Nissan did publically state that the Versa would start at "about $12k". The price of the S model on the Web site is in that ballpark. Compared to other cars in the class, the pricing on the site seems reasonable, IMO.
    they lower the prices. $16K is kinda steep for an "economy" car.

But I like that they're offering Intelligent Key. Its a surprising feature in a car at this price.

Maybe after rebates and the fact that I've got access to Nissan VPP pricing (through a friend, I haven't used it yet) might make it a screaming deal.
    Yeah, $17k is steep too, yet that's what Honda charges for the Civic LX and Mazda for the 3 with less equipment than the Versa. Not too many cars for $10k out there anymore. I like the fact that features like Bluetooth are working their way down into cars under $20k.
    Comparison of Versa with competitors (all 5-doors)-

The Versa S with power package is $14,255 (the only 6-speed manual!!!)
    Chevy Aveo LT is $13,880 (also has alloys and cruise)
    Elantra GLS is $14,394 (and butt ugly in my opinion)
    Kia Rio5 is $14,640 with power package (also has alloys)

I'd say that puts the Versa comfortably in the ballpark with competitors. The Chevy Aveo is a little cheaper, but slitting your wrists also would be. :P
    But the Civic is a bigger car, since its grown to be a "Compact" while the Versa is still a "sub-compact"

And don't forget the Honda Fit...
    The Civic may actually have less interior room than the Versa. The Versa is advertised to carry "five full-sized adults". The Civic has less interior room than even the Rio and Accent, which are typically classified as subcompacts. The Civic may be longer than the Versa, but that's not a positive thing IMO unless it is accompanied by superior interior and storage volume.

To me, it looks like Nissan is aiming at the compact market (e.g., Civic, Focus, Corolla) with the Versa instead of the low-end subcompact market (Fit, Aveo, Rio, Accent, Yaris). This is based on the interior size of the car, its features, and its pricing.
    Elantra "butt-ugly"? I think the Elantra's butt is very comely, the nicest butt in the compact sedan class. :) I'll be sorry to see it go next year. Now the Versa sedan, that is one ugly car!! The roofline in particular reminds me of the old Excels--not a good thing. The rear end isn't too bad, and is reminiscent of the first-generation Altima.
    Confirmed: the Versa is roomier than the Civic:

Versa: 93.9 cu. ft (sedan), 94.4 cu. ft. (hatchback)
    Civic sedan: 90.9 cu. ft. (DX/LX), 88.4 cu. ft. (EX)

I read some reviews in which testers praised the room and comfort of the rear seat and also the comfort of the "Maxima-sized" front seats. Another upscale touch on the Versa is the soft-touch plastics used throughout the cabin--a nice change from the hard plastics being used on low-end and compact cars these days.
    if it is intended to compete with the Civic, Cobalt, Focus, Corolla, etc, then where does that leave the Nissan Sentra?
    Very good question. It's supposedly moving up-market from the current Sentra, meaning I suppose it will duke it out with the likes of the Mazda3s, Civic EX/Si, Cobalt SS, and Jetta in the near-$20k class of small cars. It looks to me like the Sentra will wear the performance badge for Nissan small cars, and the Versa will be focused on economy and practicality. Since the Versa is supposed to start at around $12k, it will naturally compete with cars like the Fit, Yaris, Accent, and Rio. But its roominess and feature content will likely draw buyers looking at cars like the Corolla, Elantra, Focus, and Civic DX/LX. That's why I think it will be a hit, because it can draw from a large group of potential buyers.
    about the new Nissan Versa hatchback. I dont care about the sedan. Nissan shouldnt waste much energy and resources on the sedan.
    Dimension of the car is available at Nissan's japanese website (www2.nissan.co.jp/TIIDA/top.html). Maybe anyone who knows Japanese can translate it for us.
    If they could bring the fuel efficiency of the 1.8L engine on par with the Corolla and Civic then we have a winner.
    6 speed manual with CVT automatic
    Strut suspension in the front and a modified H shaped torsion beam on the rear
    Roomines from intial report is on par with some midsize sedan.
    Used of soft materials in the interior plus a well laid out control and gauges.

Loose the sedan or modify the rear of it and we have a winner.
    Worse gas mileage than the new Civic, no cruise control available except on the top of the line trim level, plus nerdy 1990's Euro-styling do not make this an attractive choice.
    Sedans sell too well in the U.S. for them to ignore it. They will sell more sedans than hatchbacks even if the hatch is better looking.

Americans see hatchbacks as cheap compared to sedans. I personally prefer a hatch and wish Honda still made a Civic hatchback for the U.S.

Mazda3, Hyundai Elantra, Chevy Aveo, Kia Spectra, Ford Focus- they all sell a lot more sedan than hatchback versions here.
    The estimated fuel economy, 38 mpg combined EPA (not highway!), of the Versa w/CVT exceeds that of the Civic with any transmission.

Cruise is not available on the base level of the Versa. Cruise is not available on the base level of the Civic, either.

Versa is available as a versa-tile hatchback as well as a sedan, unlike the Civic which is not available as a hatchback (in the US anyway).

Styling is subjective. I think the hatchback looks fine. Some people hate the looks of the new Civic, too, and consider its digital speedo to be "nerdy". To each his/her own.
    That mileage is not listed on the Nissan web site. The Versa only gives you top of the line and base, so you must choose the very top line model to get cruise.
    People would complain if you had to get the top of the line Civic EX with Navi just to get cruise control.
    Not all information on a car is listed on an automaker's web site. The 38 mpg figure was reported during the recent press lauch of the Versa and can be found on multiple web sites--try your favorite search engine on "Nissan Versa 38 overall" and see what you get.

People might complain too if you were forced to pay over $18k to get a moonroof on a Civic, because you need to get the top-end EX trim--but that is what Honda makes you do. Keep in mind the "top end" Versa trim, SL, is estimated to be about the same price as the Civic's DX trim. At least Nissan offers cruise--some competitors such as Accent and Rio don't even offer it. Also the Versa will offer options not found on any Civic, such as Intelligent Key and Bluetooth.