Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Just had our launch training for the Versa.

Got to drive Yaris, Fit and Versa back to back.

Yaris isn't even a real car in my opinion. The interior is like something from an 8 year old Hyundai. There is absolutely no NVH management. All you his is drivetrain noise, until some suspension wind or tire noise is loud enough to drown it out.

The seats in the Yaris are the worst of the 3. Also I can't stand those center mounted gauges.

The Fit is nice from the front seat. However, the Versa has a more comfortable front seat and more features for the price, intelligent key, blue tooth, etc.

The Fit rear seat is only magical for people who don't have to sit there. Its like sitting on a a steel park bench with a cloth covering.

The CVT rocks and the Versa is very smooth.

The Versa has 96 cubic feet of interior. Bigger than the Focus even.

The Versa also has the most rear seat leg room of any Nissan except for the Armada and the Quest.

Mark
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Yes when I test drove the FIT I had a buddy come with me, he likes the rear seats of the Versa much better..

Again, it all comes down to personal preference, Honda vs Toyota vs Nissan...

Tony
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Can you post the link where you found the information on the change cylinder head on the 2007 Focus? I'd like to read up on it. Thanks!
  • wulybugrwulybugr Member Posts: 19
    Found it in a Focus forum, not sure which one. I had asked several dealers the question-none had a reply. Ford recently has had two similar motors. There are 4 letters in designations for each.(I cannot remember the letters) One was discontinued recently and the heads from that motor were made to fit the motor they kept- became a more effocient motor as a result. I was extremely interested in the 07 focus until I saw and drove one. Lost my interest immediately so tossed all the files I had. Nw down to Versa or Matrix. 07 Matrix due out late Oct, and at same pricing as 06, so i will probably wait.
    wulybugr
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    mschmal wrote: "Yaris isn't even a real car in my opinion. The interior is like something from an 8 year old Hyundai. There is absolutely no NVH management. All you his is drivetrain noise, until some suspension wind or tire noise is loud enough to drown it out."

I've been seriously looking at a Versa for the last week, although the local dealer is totally unresponsive. I guess they have so many sales they can't bother returning phone calls or internet requests. IMO, the Versa is the most "European-like" of any of the new small cars on the market, and for me that's good. Having owned several small European cars from marques no longer imported into the USA, I find the Versa's design very refreshing. And, back in the '70s, it wasn't unusual to have a car the size of the Versa with a 4-cylinder with no more than 70HP on tap, so I can live perfectly with the engine in the Versa.

The Yaris may have an interior a similar to "an 8 year old Hyundai," but certainly not like the current models from Hyundai. Hyundai has come a very loooong way, and one needs to be very, very cautious in using Hyundai products as a negative implication or comparison. For example, during the same day last year I test drove a 2005 Civic LX and a 2005 Elantra GLS, and the Elantra was head and shoulders above the Civic in NVH control and ride quality, and almost on par with the Civic in terms of interior quality - plus, it was $4,000 less than the Civic. FWIW -- one has to be careful with any statistics gleaned from Initial Quality Surveys as long-term quality is certainly more important -- Hyundai only trailed Lexus and Porsche in the latest J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey. Hyundai is no longer the butt of Rodney Dangerfield jokes.

If the Mexico plant can churn out well assembled Versa's I think Nissan has a winner. The dealers need to be careful, however, as they can turn possible sales into losses with their attitude toward prospective Versa buyers.
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    Yeah, I can't speak for all Nissan dealers, but mine (the one I take my car to for oil) is always bananas. I drive by there all the time, and week-to-week the inventory on their lot is always drastically different.

I will often browse the lot, or check out a car in the showroom while waiting. I've only had a salesman approach me once, and before I could say "just looking" he simply introduced himself, handed me a card, and told me he had to go take care of some people who were waiting, but if I had any questions please ask. I suspect these guys are too busy to be "high pressure".

It's funny, during the "dog days" of Nissan, when SUVs ruled the world, you could have fired a cannonball through the place. Now, they sell every Nissan that hits the lot pretty quickly (except for the same few Armadas and Titans they've been sitting on all year).

On-topic, I did see a silver/black Versa S 6spd when I was there last week. I sat in it, what a neat car. It seemed even roomier than my Maxima, though it was probably the bigger greenhouse playing tricks on my mind.
  • cjshowcjshow Member Posts: 16
    I was flipping channels the other night and stumbled upon a show called "Star Tomorrow" on NBC. I saw a huge Nissan logo on the stage so I waited to see if maybe they'd advertise the Versa. To my delight, the show was brought to me by the Nissan Versa. I got to see two ads: both featuring "autoclaustrophia" a fear of small cars. The first featured a woman trying to shove an average sized man into a sub-compact but he was resisting at the door and crying his eyes out. They didn't show the Versa. The second was a tall guy in the back seat of a subcompact and the seat in front of him just keeps going back and back until his knees are in his chest. Again, they didn't show the car. Did anyone else catch these ads? I'm pretty sure I was just one of three or four people watching. Oh, and if you go on nbc.com you can enter to win one. Cool, huh?
    I just won a bet at my dealership.

No one would believe me that the Versa has more rearseat leg room than any other Nissan except for Armada and Quest.

Its really huge.

Mark.
  • benduprebendupre Member Posts: 121
    Bigger on the inside than on the out.

Ben
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    ...And the first thing that struck me was how big that car is--lengthwise it's almost as long as my 1998 Honda Civic HX CVT coupé! :surprise: The roominess inside is excellent, though.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have decided to purchase a fuel-efficient car, such as a hybrid or a subcompact car, versus buying a pickup truck. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, August 9, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information and what car you purchased and what pickup truck you were considering buying.
  • franko1franko1 Member Posts: 15
    Did any of you all Versa owners get blindsided by your insurance co? My insurance increased $265 / year between the SL and my traded in 05 Honda crv ex.insurance, same coverage. I never had a claim in 50 years.I have Allstate. Maybe, lack of ABS , stability control,etc, and 5 mile crash test results are unavailable at this time is causing higher rates. Scarry
    I was paying $580/6ms for a 2000 Ford Contour. No claims, accients and or tickets and I'm 43. My Versa went up $100 for the year, I was very surpised as I was expecting it to go up more.

Regarding insurance, different insurance companies rate people different. I have found that AIG (www.AIG.com) and 21st (www.21st.com) have to lowest rates. When I bought my Versa 6 weeks ago, my insurance (21st centruy) company could not pull up the VIN # and had to give me a manuel quote I haven't gotten a quote from AIG yet, since thier web site does not include 07 model year. I have been too busy to call them to see what they can do for me as a rate. I'll have time later on today and well post my quote.

Tony :shades:
    Yeah I did as well. It's because the insurance companies don't have a "symbol" for the vehicle yet so basically they rate it on value and all other assumptions are "worst case". You should keep on your agent about revaluing the policy when they finally assign a symbol for the vehicle.

Ben
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    The problem with all of Dan Jedlika's reviews, not just this one for the Versa, is that he never reports an observed (actual) gas mileage. Jedlika only repeats what the manufacturer and EPA give him, which is problematic when an MPG figure is a critical piece of info for a car like the Versa.
  • franko1franko1 Member Posts: 15
    My salesman said it was designed that way was for safety reasons. The gas tank is directly under seat ,whereas,Honda and Toyo models are more near the rear, and not as safe. Is he a good salesman or what?
  • doromachidoromachi Member Posts: 21
    He is a "What!" Nissan Engineers had to make the seat this way in order to get the seat they wanted for the Versa. They say they could make it flat but the seat would be like all the others, similar to a bench-seat with a cover. Check them out and see if the Versa is not way ahead of the others on comfort and looks.

Where did I get my information? Can't remember just where but it was in an early review by a writer in a magazine who supposedly spoke to Nissan.
    Remember the Pinto?

Ben
    On the Fit, the gas tank is under the drivers seat....

>>They say they could make it flat but the seat would be >>like all the others, similar to a bench-seat with a cover.

That sounds about right. When I was in Japan in April and spoke with a very nice Nissan salesman who showed me a Tiida, he told me that Nissan chose not to give the Versa a double folding seat ( = seat back folding forward, and then flip up the whole seat) in order to equip it with a higher quality, full-size rear seat instead. Maybe that's the official sales line, but I can see the point.

Apparently, there have been enough complaints about the non-flat cargo area of the Tiida in Japan, so that when Nissan later released the Note, basically a smaller sibling of the Tiida, it came with a flat cargo area (plus a few other nifty tricks akin to the Fit's).

http://www2.nissan.co.jp/NOTE/E11/0501/EQUIP/main3.html (caution: a very slow website: click on the photo on the far left)
  • sngwrtrsngwrtr Member Posts: 14
    Somewhere on these boards is a link to an accessory that makes the versa rear floor flat by raising the "trunk" floor to the level of the folded seats. The cool thing about it is that it creates a storage compartment under the "new" trunk floor. Unfortunately this accessory only appears to be available in Japan - hopefully it will make it's way to the US. I've the heard same thing about the seats - the back seat would not be anywhere near as nice as it is if the seats could fold flat. Another thing I read somewhere is that some manufacturers actually build up the trunk floor to make the seats fold flat; however when they do that you lose some floor to roof room.
    >>Somewhere on these boards is a link to an accessory that >>makes the versa rear floor flat by raising the "trunk" >>floor to the level of the folded seats. The cool thing >>about it is that it creates a storage compartment under >>the "new" trunk floor.

That's exactly the way the Nissan Note cargo area works. And it has lost the vertical space for the price of a flat cargo floor. On the whole, however, more people seem to prefer the flat cargo area.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview 18-25 year olds on what type of car they are looking to purchase. Please send an e-mail to ctalatiedmunds.com no later than Thursday, August 24, 2006 by 2:30 PM PT/5:30 PM ET containing your daytime contact information.
  • crimsonacrimsona Member Posts: 153
    More accurately, the Fit's tank is under the parking brake/shifter in the middle (not really the driver's seat). This is further ahead than most cars.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A tv reporter seeks to interview sub-compact (Aveo, Fit, Versa, Yaris) drivers who live or work within 25 miles of Manhattan. Please send your daytime contact info, location and vehicle make/model to alex_cohen@businessweek.com and/or jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, August 29, 2006.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• lgainorlgainor Member Posts: 6
    Though I'm in a large city (houston), there doesn't seem to be a wide selection of Versas available. Does anyone know (about) how often dealers get new cars delivered? I'm not expecting to find the ideal combination of colors and options, but I'd like an SL with CVT in a color other than black, white, or red. Some local dealers don't have any Versas at all, while others seem to have fewer of the SL models. I'm not in a really big hurry to buy, but I'd rather not wait 6 months if doing so would be futile. I've checked Dealerships in a 200-mile radius (e.g. Austin and San Antonio) and not seen the SL/CVT available in a color I'd like. Any thoughts?
    Most dealers seem to get an S and an SL around the same time. In New England every SL/CVT I have seen comes with the convenience pack, mats and splash guards for a sticker of $17,015. I have not seen any dealers with more than one SL/CVT at a time, but once they sell them, they seem to get them replaced within a week or two. Many people have just ordered them. You will wait, but probably not 6 months. I ordered one around the 4th of July and I am supposed to get it in September. I ordered mine without the convenience pack (for $700 nothing in it appealed to me except the leather steering wheel and audio controls on the steering wheel) and ABS. The ABS apparently was the kicker - no one has seen one. Blue onyx seems to be a popular color - you may want to see if any dealers are getting an SL/CVT in that color.
    most dealers will keep at least one on the lot for test drives. With the initial launch in July, every dealer got one base S and one loaded SL. There are a few options no one has seen yet: Sunroof, ABS. You'll probably have to preorder and wait. Most dealers are pre-selling any inventory they have in the pipeline. Any Nissan dealer can "see" what's coming out of the factory and barter with other dealers if they have a buyer for a specific model. They can also custom order for you but that takes even longer.

Good luck!

Ben
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I saw a red S model sitting outside my local Nissan dealer's showroom a few days ago. It had ABS and the power package. It also had a "Sold" sign on it.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    The Sport Package is not expected to be available until January.
  • sohtsoht Member Posts: 1
    Do you have any information about the sport package?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Sure, it contains fog lights, side sill extensions, front and rear lower spoilers, and a rear roof spoiler.
    Invoice price is $700 for the package, I'm not sure what the list price MSRP is.
    It is pretty much a body kit, imagine if you will the difference between the base Fit and the Fit Sport.
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    What also messes up the cargo area in our Versas are the LATCH anchors for baby seats. I could not get under the seatback cover to determine if they are bolted in or welded.
  • robandjeannerobandjeanne Member Posts: 19
    I test drove the Versa and like the amount of room, ride, and handling. I see the NHTSA crash tests look prety good. How about reliability. My impression is no car is as reliable as the Toyota so I wonder how reliable the Versa compares? How do we access world market reliability data where the Versa/Tilda has been sold for several years?
    How do we access world market reliability data where the Versa/Tilda has been sold for several years?

In Japan, there have been no big talks about the Tiida's reliability. In other words, people over there do not have to think about it when consiering the Tiida.

My impression is no car is as reliable as the Toyota

That is generally true. Statistically, Nissan has more problems than Toyota. But so does every other auto manufacturer.
  • robandjeannerobandjeanne Member Posts: 19
    I'm assuming no one paid less than MSRP for their Versa. I thought I saw $100 off if you saw it on the internet, has anyone taken advantage of this or other discounts? In Northen VA they charge $289 to fill out the paperwork when you purchase, has anyone paid a lot less for paperwork? Thanks.
  • doromachidoromachi Member Posts: 21
    In Texas, all the dealers I have purchased an auto from charged $50.00 for their services. I think, not sure, but think this is the maximum set by State Law. They can charge less but have come across that Dealer yet!
    regarding a charge for paperwork I have never paid for that, and I live in the western US...

I paid #16,500 for my Versa SL, with convience package..

I paid $120 for paperwork preparation in Massachusetts plus $5 for the title and $29 for an inspection sticker. The last two items are required by law and all of the prices were pre-printed right on the sales order. Dealers can process all of your paperwork at the dealership now so you don't have to go to the Registry of Motor vehicles any more. Before that, years ago, you could pay the dealer to have a "runner" go to the RMV for you. The $120 is worth it to not have to take extra time to stand in line at the RMV.
    $120 for the document prep? Over in Minnesota, with this one Honda dealer, it's only $55, granting that different states probably have different document requirements. Some dealers must use the doc prep fee as a profit center.
    From the buyer's order:
    Documentary Fee: Is a fee charged by the dealer in an amount that covers costs and reflects the value of the benefit provided by the service. In some cases, the fee includes some services that may be optional or may be performed by the Customer.

Most states have non-discrimination clauses that prevent a dealer from not charging a fee that is charged to other customers.

Please keep in mind that you are paying the bottom line. Just ask for that fee to be taken off of the selling price of the car.

Mark.
  • reuropareuropa Member Posts: 7
    My insurance (I'm with State Farm) actually went down about $225 a year, to my pleasant surprise. (My previous car was a 1998 Plymouth Neon Expresso.) But I also get a multiline discount (I have my renters insurance through state farm), accident-free discount, and safety discount.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi all,
    As you can see, we're moving toward more focused discussions. Please visit the top level Nissan Versa group to see the new discussions. Feel free to add some of your own that you think might be of interest to other members!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    can we still post here?
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Anyone know of any discount extended warranty or service plans? With the Versa being build in a new factory in Mexico, and with the quality ratings for the other Nissan's built in North America plants, I think it might be wise to buy one. I'd like to buy one for about $1500 for a 7 year 100,000 zero deductable that covers just about everything.
  • ttintinttintin Member Posts: 8
    bobw3,

Try warrantydirect.com. I hear their prices are very reasonable, and their coverage is better than the extended warranty from the dealer. For one thing, you can take the car to any ASE-certified shop, not just the dealership. Hope this helps.
    took the versa to the dealer to get the oil changed, and while I wsa waiting for my car, one of the lot boys drove up in a 07 Sentra 2.0S. So I took a look at the car,for $18,700, you get one with CVT, Convience package, floor mats and some else (couldn't remember.) I was impressed with the looks (looks like a baby MAX.) One thing I did notice was, the materials for the car was very upscale, it has less room then the versa, and the rear passenager, have less headroom. Besides that, they rate the car 29 city and 35 highway. HA... But have to say, its a nice car, and they well sell LOTS of them...
    The Versa is not being built at a "NEW" factory. Nissan has been building Sentra's there for years.

Mark.