Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Nitro

Comments

• coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    Nitro is OK, but these days you need at least a 5-speed automatic, a 6-speed is better, and a CVT is good, too. The 4-speed automatic just doesnt' compete.
  • nelson33nelson33 Member Posts: 100
    I agree they should have included their 5spd as a the standard. I guess by offering the 4, they make it more affordable to everyone. Other than that, on looks alone, that is the best looking vehicle I've seen this year. It's what an SUV should look like. Although I see a LOTS of Land Rover in the Nitro and not just in the side vents. Whatever the case is, the look is awesome.

What amazes me is how the critics ripped into the interior quality of the recent Chrysler products, ie Jeep Compass, Dodge Caliber, etc. I looked at the Compass recently and didn't think it looked too bad, nice two tone interior. Car and Driver compared the Nitro interior to the Neon, ouch. It can't be that bad, can it?
  • nitroboynitroboy Member Posts: 4
    My Nitro stickered for $23,250 and the dealer took $1000 off of a Red SLT 2x4. I also had a trade-in so who knows what it costs. Edmunds says everyone is paying sticker but I would try 90%. Nothing to lose.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    Having owned three Liberty's two were the 3.7 with the 45 RFE trans. The other us the CRD (diesel) with the 545 RFE trans. I was prepared to see a a bigger longer vehicle. There is about 3" more in wheel base and the storage in the back has about the same as well.
    For those like me who expected to see more back seat foot room, it's the same as we have now. The front is the same as now. The inside is the same dimensions as not too. The windows are not as tall, has the new Dodge low rider look. The reason this Nitro won't make any huge numbers for DCX are, same OLD 4 speed auto. trans. The 3.7 is really a gas sucking go no where in a hurry V-6, push rods and all. The engine and transmission make this vehicle nothing to get excited about. The 4. L due out late in the model year are not a much better. If Jeep is to have a winner with the new Liberty they need a power train that is something to brag about. The 3.8 in the new Wrangler might be nice mated to a 545 RFE. If DCX is to win people over then there has to be something that proves that the Liberty is hot! Even with a different dash arrangement the materials have to show some quality other than the plastic dash that yells out "made in China," Hopefully the seats are easy to keep clean as the older sear covers show up rain drops a dirt spots. To clean to old seat cover ia a major effort, with very poor results.
    With the added storage room in the back more families just might reconsider the Dodge or the Jeep. DCX seems to be slow in catching up with the consumers request. Maybe there is a change as the Nitro shows change is coming, I am anxious to see a Patriot, maybe that will be better than it's sibling the Compass.

Farout
  • sebzx79sebzx79 Member Posts: 53
    First off,

the 3.7 is a SOHC motor not a pushrod job,
    Second the 4.0 is a bored out 3.5 liter motor.
    Third the 3.8 in the Wrangler is a 20+ year design that is currently in the minivan. ( that is a pushrod motor)

Out of all them the 4.0 will be the best motor. Nothing to get exited about but much better then the 3.7 or the 3.8 liter motors they put in their cars.

Would be nice to see a 3.8 liter Hyundai motor in that vehicle. They already use a 1.8, 2.0, 2.4. They should buy their 3.3 liter and 3.8 liter v6s.
  • snapcracklepopsnapcracklepop Member Posts: 111
    I agree that "change is coming" in regards to DCX and as you stated the Nitro is proof. It has an undeniable unique look. The availability of 20" wheels and a 260 hp engine with the R/T has raised the bar in the mid-size SUV market. :shades:

I just googled the Jeep Patriot...very cool. I hadn't heard of it until today. It sort of looks like a Grand Cherokee and regular cherokee combined. :)
  • nsande1nsande1 Member Posts: 4
    Any difference in the ride/handling of the 4x4 SLT Nitro vs. the 4x2 SLT?
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    BTW . . . the Hyundai Theta 2.4L DOHC Inline 4 is not the same as the "World Engine" that DCX uses. DCX changed a number of Hyundai implementations on this engine for their own use, whether good or bad, they are changes.
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    Dammit I want one! Always been a GM guy myself but I really like the Nitro. Strangely enough, what I like about it is that it has the Hummer look without the Hummer fuel mileage or pricetag. Will probably buy one in a few months. just wanna push credit score about 750 so I can get good financing although it probably won't matter all that much. Any current owners out there have anything to add?
  • rockfish1rockfish1 Member Posts: 113
    Has anybody tried a ride comparing both drivetrains? How is the performance and traction between the two drivetrains?

The last car I had with RWD was my 1970 Plymouth Duster 340 which was fassssssssssssst on dry surfaces but not so great on wet or snowy roads with my Goodyear Polyglas tires.
  • lindermanlinderman Member Posts: 4
    Hey rockfish1...

My wife and I both have driven a two wheel drive Nitro and a 4 wheel drive version. I have since ordered a 4x4 RT. We both agreed that we liked the little bit of extra seat height the 4x4 had. We are both sold on AWD or 4x4 also as we do drive a lot on wet and slick highways.

I did not notice any difference in performance but the 4x4 really did feel more stable. I ordered the full-time 4x4 as it is essentially an AWD, and I have no desire to take it off-road.

We need two cars, and now, my wife is also considering getting/ordering one for herself.
    Thanks for the info.
    I am trying to determine if the added costs, the 1 MPG less in gas mileage plus the added parts that can break would be worth the extra cost for the 4X4. It sounds like you are for the 4X4.

Is your 4X4 always engaged or can you select the 4WD when desired?

I also am not expecting any off road driving but will be driving in some snow at times and do not want to buy the strap on chains or sand bags I needed for my RWD Duster of years past.
    Full-time 4WD is always on. (Essentially AWD and you may drive on slippery surfaces or dry) With part-time you have to engage it, and you have to dis-engage it. If you forget and drive on dry pavement for a time.......BIG REPAIR BILL.

Read what this pro has to say about it:

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/glossary.html

A very informative site. It was the reason for our decision. Good luck.
    Thanks for the link.
    According to the Dodge Nitro Specs on the www.dodge.com site, the term "Part Time 4WD" is used for the 4 speed Automatic transmission.

According to the link you provided, the 4WD should only be used when moving in a straight line on surfaces without good traction. The article says:
    "Here is why part time 4WD should not be used on pavement:
    If you own a vehicle with part time 4WD the need for different rpm front and rear represents a major problem. The transfer case will power the front and rear drive shafts with same rpm and is not able to satisfy the front axle's need for more rpm. Remember, the combined rpm of front wheels (A+B) is higher than the combined rpm of the rear wheels (C+D). Only full time 4WD systems are able to negotiate the needs of front and rear.
    So, with part time 4WD engaged your front wheels are forced by good traction on the ground to rotate faster than the rear - but since the front drive shaft delivers only the same rpm as to the rear there is a fight between front wheels and rational force coming from the front drive shaft. The front drive shaft in effect tries to slow down the front wheels. This results in very wide turns (understeer) and dangerous handling on pavement.

The name "part time" derives from its use. It can only be used part of the time - most of the time (for most uses) it has to remain in 2WD. Only "full time" - notice the name - can be used full time for all uses"

The article also indicated that a part time 4WD car that is engaged in 4WD has this situation----
    "Here is another important fact: Since front and rear axles are not able to rotate independently ABS will not work properly."

Thanks again for the link.
    It now seems that the 4X4 is only useful if I get stuck in mud or trying to SLOWLY go up a snow covered hill.
    Well, a four speed tranny comes standard on the SXT & SLT, whether or not you get 4WD. The RT comes with a 5 speed auto.

As that site says...for slick pavement, AWD or full-time 4WD is best.
    I picked up a Nitro brochure and looked at the chart in the back. This has more info than the wen site. It seems the part-time 4wd is on the SXT with the MP143? and full time 4wd is on the SLT and R/T with MP140? 4 or 5 speed auto transmission.

Is this MP140 and MP143 a code for manual or automatic transmissions?

With the full time 4wd, I believe the additional traction benefits will be available on rain slick or snow covered roads.

If this how you have found the Nitros that you drive?
    I now have an AWD Infinity FX35. Great traction. I ordered a Nitro RT with the full-time 4WD because I feel that set up is best for wet/snowy/icy pavement. My wife is looking at an SLT with the same setup. When that happens we will sell the Infinity. Nothing wrong with it, I just fell in love with the Nitro and like a change every few years. My RT has not even hit the build stage as yet. Ordered it in Nov!

"If" you plan to use your Nitro off-road a lot...then consider the part-time 4WD.
    On road driving will be 99.999% of my driving. That is why I was questioning just having RWD. The part time 4wd is not much of a benefit for me so I am glad to see the Nitro brochure showing full time 4wd for the SLT and R/T. Dodge needs to update their website.

I am surprised your R/T is still in order mode. I have seen a number of R/T's in the dealers inventory on line in the Baltimore/Washington area. The Fitzmall site still does not have the R/T's but the 28 other Nitro's are offered at $1000 to $1500 off MSRP.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    On road driving will be 99.999% of my driving.

Incidentally, that translates to 1 mile offroad for every 100,000 miles driven. Thought you'd like to know. ;)

tidester, host
    Since I have 145,000 on my '99 Dodge Minivan and I have not had it off road except for the few feet I drove on the shoulder of an Interstate, I may have understated the percent!

Not having driven a vehicle with a drivetrain other than RWD and FWD is one reason I don't know that much about the pros and cons of 4WD part time, 4WD full time or AWD. With an offering of a variety of drivetrains on the Nitro and other car/truck vehicles, I am interested in determining if the costs will match the benefits for me.

The link provided by linderman was very helpful
    Read what this pro has to say about it:

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/glossary.html

Is there an active forum on drivetrains?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you are interested in 4WD/AWD, try the 4WD & AWD systems explained discussion. There's also FWD, AWD, RWD and the Luxury Performance Sedans that should have some points of interest.
  • rfloyd4rfloyd4 Member Posts: 1
    HAS ANYONE HAD ANY PROBLEMS RE:TRANS SHUDDER,TORQUE CONVERTER LOCK UP ON 07 NITRO?IF SO WHAT FIXED IT.
    I was on the dodge nitro myspace page and I was surprised at the amount of really attractive girls that are into this mid size suv...it's worth checking out some of their posts!

link title
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Your link didn't work for me but I was able to go to myspace.com and then search for Nitro. The first 10 friends to pop up were guys though, and not much farther down the list was a caricature of Dr. Z!
    So many people post that the pictures from myspace change on a regular basis. Anyways this is the right link:
    http://www.myspace.com/nitro
    This chick posted on the nitro myspace page and she is real cute
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=119458- 840
    ;);)

P.S. The Caricature of Dr. Z is sexy.....lol
    Anybody know when the full time 4wd option will be available. The Nitro brochure indicates late availability but I heard some other people saying it may not be around till the 2008 model.
    Mmmmmmm.....I'm not entirely sure. I'm a huge Nitro fan. I think that this car is great! I'll do a little investigating post back with an answer for you assuming I can find it! :blush:
    I was leery about going back to a rear wheel 2wd vehicle or required FWD or full time 4wd for my driving habits. Since I only drive on hard surfaces, the part time 4wd is of little benefit due to the fact that it should only be used on slippery surfaces while moving in a straight line. With the less traction available with rear wheel drive, I was looking forward to full time 4wd to mitigate traction lost from RWD. My last RWD was a '71 Duster 340. This car needed sand bags in the truck and strap on chains in snow. Now I have to determine if the RWD will work with my driving.

This is really disappointing if Dodge doesn't come make full time 4wd available.
    Not this model year :sick: . It has been removed from the Dodge web site. But a 4WD Nitro would be awesome definitely worth the wait :shades:
  • theronrohrtheronrohr Member Posts: 51
    Hi all, just drove the base 2wd model and quite liked it. Its just the right size where the liberty I drove recently was a little too narrow for me. The seat bottom's also a little longer although its squishy where the liberty was firm. That's probably my only complaint other than the funky styling.

I can't figure out is why the highway mileage rating is higher than the liberty when the drivetrain seems to be the same. Anyone have any experience there? How do people like their Nitros?
    That thread has been moved to er0si0n, "General Questions about Leasing Vehicles" #53, 3 May 2007 6:26 pm

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • tcsmpsitcsmpsi Member Posts: 31
    We have an SXT w/C package (fog lights, power, cruise, alum wheels, etc., etc.) full size spare, 3.73 rear diff. and 4 spd auto.

Hmmmmm...I'll go and try to 'hit my butt on something hard in the seat', but so far haven't done such. Hmmmmm.

We only have a few hundred miles on it so far, but have NO complaints about it.

I like the simple interior, as in my '05 Dak Quad and our '07 Caliber.

I reckon anyone can nit-pick anything to death, if they so desire.

My wife...well, it was her decision and I was only there for back-up. She is quite tickled with it. It actually drives better and smoother than I had anticipated. When I finally did get a turn at driving it. :)
    Has anyone seen this on Autoblog? You can win a Nitro!
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    I have to admit that I really love the masculine styling of the Nitro with the exception of the rear. Unfortunately, when i went to check one out I was very disappointed with the interior materials.

I simply don't understand who Chrysler could launch a vehicle thats so hot on styling then do a total 180 on the interior materials. Considering that GM and Ford upgraded their interior materials almost two years ago its difficult to understand what Chrysler executives were thinking. It tells me that they are not committed to being a major player and would instead prefer to just do enough to keep up with the competition. Whats sad about the decisions they made on interior plastics is that no other company in the industry is using that much plastic.

I still would like to buy a Nitro but they would have to seriously upgrade the interior and do more to address the Nitro's fuel consumption.
  • mb789mb789 Member Posts: 89
    Hello. I'd like to hear from some Nitro owners on how they like their vehicles. What features do you like best? Like least? Are you happy with its performance and handling, etc.? Have you encountered any problems with your vehicles? Thanks.
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Well I've only had mine for two days now but I can tell you immediately that the handling is a little sloppy but you get use to it. The performance is great for me because the previous vehicle was a 2.4l and the bigger motor suits me better.

Features? It doesn't really have anything to get too excited about unless you get NAV system or the MyGIG.

I got mine with a moon roof, love that. The compass and temp gauge is a must have for me and you only get that with the customer preferred package. I don't really care for where the parking break is located, mostly because it's oddly large.

I test drove one with the running boards, hated those as I banged my calf on the them every time in and out of the truck.

As for appearance definitely upgrade the wheels, we got the 17" aluminum wheels over the 16" steel faced ones. The R/T wheels are amazing..I wish the SXT came with those.

Keep in mind too that you can get the SXT with the color matched fender flares, it's only $200 or so option. My SXT is color matched and doesn't have the grey cladded bottoms.

You can see pics of it in my carspace.
    \

ETA that I LOVE my Nitro!
  • blacklab4blacklab4 Member Posts: 12
    Are there any changes or improvements from the 2007 model to the 2008?
    Not sure about that but I was told the rebate on a 2007 is $2,500 and the rebate on the 2008 was only $1,000.
  • nitroownernitroowner Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced a brake failure on their Nitro after the brake recall. I owned the car for 8 months. A week after having my car fixed at the dealer relating to the brake recall notice, the brakes failed and I couldn't stop. The incident occured exactly like that explained in the recall. I guess Chrysler's fix for this problem didn't work???????
  • primocervezaprimocerveza Member Posts: 2
    Like to hear what kinda mileage people are getting from their Nitro's? Please specify engine 3.7 or 4.0. Thanx
    Everyone is posting their mileage in Dodge Nitro Real World MPG which is where you should go! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • pygnsowpygnsow Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone had any problems when driving in 4WD. When making a very tight turn (i.e. parking) the vehicle will lock up and it becomes incredibly difficult to move. I have to switch it to 2WD, stop, and it will correct after a short time. This is described in the owners manual (essentially the car is tricking the stability control system???) but this just doesn't seem right! Love the truck aside from this--not problems but have only had for a couple months.

Thanks,
    Brent
    I haven't experienced that yet. I've used mine in 4WD quite often too.
    When I looked at the Nitro, I asked about the 4WD option. I was informed it is part time 4WD and is meant to be engage only when driving in a straight line.
    Well MY Nitro has a switch I can change it from 2wd to 4wd see...

The round dial is where I change the setting.
    When I looked at the Nitro I tried to find out more about the part time 4WD that the vehicle has and how to use it. Part time 4wd does not respond well turning on dry pavement. See message 65 and 66 in this discussion for more info on how to properly handle the part time 4wd that the Nitro has.
  • trap100trap100 Member Posts: 2
    help how do i remove the shift knob from my nitro r/t. the r/t is different.any clues??
  • shady276shady276 Member Posts: 1
    Im not a nitro owner. I however have driven dodge and chrysler products for the past 10 + years. "Mopar or NO car!" However I recently had my Pacifica in the dealer for a coolant leak and my eyes lit up as the service man pulled up a Glossy black dodge nitro as my loaner car. I loaded my things in and climed in as if I were a kid at christmas time. The car is very agressively styled on the outside. The fit and finish of the vehicle as compared to the other cars that I have owned (98 Neon, 00 Intrepid, 01Sebring, and 07 Pacifica) it seamed cheap! The Nitro is more of a truck based suv. The foot wells were overly cramped, the seat position was all wrong and the handeling..... oh the handeling was just terrible. Maybe I have become spoiled as a pacifica owner but there is just no comparrison between the two. I am not making a slam intentionally to the Nitro but i have driven the durango and was greatly more satisifed with the ride in it than the nitro. I just hope they can bring the nitro up to par with the rest of the line up or just kill it off and let the Journey replace it.
    You do get use to the handling differences, I too felt mine was "sloppy" when I first drove it but as with any vehicle you get use to it's quirks :) .
  • barbara22barbara22 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone out there had any transmission shuddering, 4-wheel drive shuddering with their 2007 Dodge Nitro. I have had my Nitro in the shop 4 times for this problem and they keep saying all it needs is to have the computer "flashed", but this has not corrected the problem........also, while driving 55-60 miles per hour sometimes a beeping sound is heard and all the dash lights come on, brake light, seat belt light ( as if you have just turned the key to start the car), the last 2 times it has done this the radio has cut off, but the car does not seem to lose power.
    It is going back into the shop again tomorrow for this same problem, but of course the dealer says he has no "bulletins about this problem and actually suggested that the car is "possessed".....................I think this is the only Nitro I will ever own. Had a 2004 Durango before this and it was wonderful......should have my head examined for trading!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.