Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Coupe / Civic Si 2006+

1151617181921»

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    It's been a while since I frequented any Honda boards, but I'm about 90% sure that the bad casting issues were isolated to the R18.

Regarding the interiors of the 8th Gen Civics, while I personally don't have a huge issue with them, I do find them to have a look that is several cuts below both the Honda fit as well as say a GTI. Most of the complaints that I've heard in this regard is that the plastic surfaces are easy to scar with regular day-to-day usage.

Regarding the rear suspension, I don't think I've ever heard of a suspension issue with Si models, that said, the DX, LX and EX owners are having significant issues with tire wear.

Regarding your transmission, you seem to be one of the lucky ones. I've heard from plenty of Si owners that have used Synchromesh (or any of the other alternative synthetic tranny oils) where the problem disappeared following the oil change, only to return some weeks or months later. FWIW, I’ve also heard from an unlucky few who switched to Synchromesh and then had their dealer void the warranty on the transmission due to the non-standard fill of oil. I’m thinking that sucketh much. :P

The A/C issues seem to be hit and miss. Last summer I watched (on a different board) a debate rage between a guy from Houston and a guy from Dallas. The Houston guy claimed his A/C was perfect, the Dallas guy said his would only blow "cool" air after a half of an hour and his dealer told him it was "normal". Who's right? Don't know, however, I've heard enough complaints about the A/C to warrant caution.

Now, with all that said, please don't misunderstand me, I like the 8th Gen Civic, in fact, I like it enough to consider actually buying one, however, after driving both a Rabbit 5-Speed and a GTI 6-Speed, I honestly have to say that I like driving the VWs more than the Hondas, and in the end, that's what will probably sway me most when purchase time comes.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • cz75cz75 Member Posts: 210
    The transmission issue appears to be fixed with current production, but there is a TSB out that authorizes replacement of 3rd gear for afflicted owners. In any case, a fluid change is not enough to void a warranty under Magnusson-Moss unless the manufacturer is willing to supply the necessary fluid without charge to maintain the warranty. A dealer can say what they like, but they aren't the final arbiter of what is voided in the warranty.

A/C depends on where the car is parked and what color it is as much as anything, though it may be possible some vehicles weren't fully charged with refrigerant. Domestics still have the best A/C.
  • integradriverintegradriver Member Posts: 123
    Just rolled over 100,000 miles last night on my 2006 LX, still going strong!

Took about three years and a month.
  • justgetitrightjustgetitright Member Posts: 1
    Bridgestone Turanza EL 400 tires were on my 2008 Honda Civic and I got 18000 miles on them before they made a ALOT of noice and gave the car a vibration no one could want. Went back to my dealer (D'ella Honda of Queensbury, NY) and they said it was my fault the tires wore prematurely. The tires that wore were on the rear of the car. D'ella Honda suggestion was to buy another set of tires from them, The service guy said that I should only expect 30000 miles from the tires, so I guess 18000 was close enough. As you expect me to say I will not buy another Honda from D'ella Honda of Queensbury,NY. I did replace the tires and had an inspection done of the tires by THE PROS and they stated that two tires on the car were defective and No Fault of Me. They have had alot of complaints with these tires which Honda and D'ella Honda are well aware of, but refuse to take the appropriate action. The civic I have is the EX-L. Bottom line stay away from these tires(just look at the complaints) and stay away from dealerships like D'ella Honda of Queensbury who care only care about selling you the car and then forgetting you. As Tony in the Sales Department says"there's a seat for every [non-permissible content removed]"
  • jj987jj987 Member Posts: 10
    I am looking to buy an 09 SI and wanted to check in here and see what every one's opinion is about the car. It seems that one of the major issues is the syncro in 3rd tends to let loose after a while. Has any experienced any major problems with that, e.g. having to replace the gearbox? Otherwise I'd like to get everyone's opinion about the car. Reliability is my main concern. I was originally going to get a subaru WRX, but read on some other forums about some serious engine failures after 3k miles. To me there is no point in having a car that has great performance but if it's going to have some major failure. after 3k or 20k miles.

Thanks in advance.
  • ghetto2315ghetto2315 Member Posts: 40
    I am a current owner of an 08 Si Coupe. This is my 2nd Honda, as my first was an 07 LX Coupe 5-Speed. I am not going to even speak about the 07 LX as the 08 Si is better on every level. Where to I begin?

The 3rd gear issue was only prevelent on affected Si's from 06, 07 and some 08's. There is a specific VIN range that gives the Si's that have the issue. There was a problem where it would pop out of 3rd gear by itself. The other issue was the grind. As stated above, the TSB is out and many members recieved a new tranny tear down and build-up. Members have added Amsoil Syncromesh MTF to remedy the problem of the grind and I will say this once... NO DEALER can void your warranty if you use an oil that MEETS OR EXCEEDS manufacturer requirements. Amsoil, exceeding the requirements, has shown good results. However, it is up to each specific dealer to choose if they want to perform the MTF oil switch for you. That, you can not argue.

The A/C is strong enough and I have not heard many (if any, now that I think about it) problems with it. So owners having problems with their A/C is just a bad luck of the draw. Nothing more.

These are what I feel are the Pros and Cons of the Si:

Pros:
    Good gas mileage (I do 60-miles round trip every day to work and I average about 31-mpg)
    Handling (One of the best handling cars I have ever driven. I can pull 0.91 G on the skid)
    The Price
    i-VTEC Powerband (Power and engine note sounds spectacular. ("Wow! What an engine note! Equal parts angry hornet and formula bike" - MotorTrend)
    Safety
    Honda Reliability
    Helical Limited Slip Differential LSD
    6-Speed Manual Transmission (One of the smoothest shifting manual transmissions I have ever used. Effortless shift throws)
    8,700-RPM Redline
    Exhaust Note
    2-Tier Digital Speedometer / Tachometer Display
    Steering Feel
    Maintenance Minder System
    Styling (Inside and Out)
    Clutch Feel and Travel
    Comfort (Racing seats are firm, supportive, and plush. Is that possible to have all 3?)
    Interior Room (Front)

Cons:
    Drive-by-Wire (DBW) Throttle System (RPMs do not immediately drop when you shift gears sometimes)
    Low Torque Numbers
    Black Interior (Only comes in Black, which is what I wanted, but every piece of lint or dog hair shows)
    No Leather Option (Would have been nice, but the cloth/suede material is excellent in feel. Wears pretty easily as well and starting to see some fade spots)
    No Heated Seat Option
    Interior Plastics scratches easily
    A/C Vent right behind Steering Wheel (Not a real Con, but I’m starting to run out of ideas)
    Interior Room in the Rear (A bit cramped in terms of leg room in my Coupe, but maybe that is because I am 6'1" and my driver seat is way back)
    That’s pretty much it…

The Si is honestly one of the best cars I have ever owned. Sure I could have went with something with more power, or more luxury, but for the money I am paying (I leased), and for what I get in terms of bang for the buck and value, that is where it shines. Comes in Coupe or Sedan, but I went with the Coupe because of the styling.

I looked at other cars like the Cobalt SS, the GTi, Sentra-V, WRX, and the Mazda Speed3 (MS3) and the Si was the logical choice. The Cobalt is a rental car, the GTi is a htach and they look god awful. The Sentra is just bland. The WRX is a bit more money. The MS3 is also a hatch, enough said, but it was the only other car that I considered.
  • jj987jj987 Member Posts: 10
    I currently have an offer for 20.5K for one with 2.9% for 60 months. Internet dealer said he'd throw in GPS, which i'm guessing would mean like a garmin or something, not actual NAV on car i think, nor do i really care about that. I would like to know how everyone else is fairing out there with deals on a SI w/o NAV now.
    I live in DFW, Texas
  • tashabryant02tashabryant02 Member Posts: 1
    I love my Civic, it's fun to drive. My dad works for Honda and he warned me they're fragile. My Si has almost all the problems posted, I've taken it to 2 different dealerships and they claim they cannot duplicate the problem (I think part of the problem is that I'm female).
    -Rev hang
    -3rd gear pops out/ it's really hard to shift into 3rd
    -my rear suspension creaks and sounds like it's going to break in half
    -Tires wear horribly (they're expensive too)
    My car has it's issues, but looking back I'd still buy it, I love driving it.
This discussion has been closed.