Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Coupe / Civic Si 2006+

Comments

• joystik68joystik68 Member Posts: 1
    My tail like lens is cracked and I want to replace it. Does anyone know how to remove the lens so I can install the new one?
  • kalamazookalamazoo Member Posts: 18
    I just took delivery on my Si yesterday. Just wanted to know if others actually have one or just chatting. For those who really have one,let's have some feedback. I paid 500 under MSRP. I am going on an extended ride today. The Roads were a little icy yesterday. The Michelin stock tires are on it. Any suggestions for improvement here? Thanks.Kazoo
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Kalamazoo,

Congratulations on the Si!. I don't have mine yet, put money down and ordered on December 17, 2005 Rallye Red with NAV, summer tires and fog lights at a little under MSRP.

Double Sixes,

MidCow
  • strumeliastrumelia Member Posts: 48
    I can't believe you guys are debating which of you has more money- how juvenile!! Are you teenagers?
    I'm really enjoying my 2006 white Civic coupe. But I admit I am still trying to get used to the much more limited field of vision than I used to have on my Corolla sedan... Anyone else having issues with this? I raised my seat as much as I could (without my head touching the ceiling!).
    Strumelia
  • earthearth Member Posts: 76
    My view is OK in the front, but have to be extra careful when making lane changes with that over sized rear pillar. Not happy with the seat belt either. Have to reach further back to get it. Guess I am still used to the corolla and Rav4. But, the ride is smooth and the mpg is OK. Wish it was better than 25 mpg in city only driving with the automatice, nav system
  • stonesistonesi Member Posts: 4
    Just placed an order for a black si with navi. Ordered from an Arizona dealer for $21,790, $500 under msrp. I'll also get free tint, mud guards, wheel locks. Car is supposed to arrive in March. I live in Washington State, where most dealers are asking $2,000 over msrp. Might as well fly down in March, watch some spring training baseball, pick up my car and drive home. I drove a new non navi si 2 weeks ago at the local dealer. It's a great car, alot like my 2002 RSX type s. (seemed a bit slower, less rough) looking foward to the xm radio & navigation.
  • redboneplayboyredboneplayboy Member Posts: 2
    I would look closer at the other civic SI's that's something that I noticed too but that part is painted for all the SI's I ordered the Habanero Red by accident, I was told that the color was brighter than Rally red. This is Wrong, I hope that they can change it or something because I sure don't feel like painting a new car a whole diffrent color and I dont have the cheese for that. The car hasn't even been built yet and I'm sure that it will only take a phone call or two.....I'm hope
  • chuckd2chuckd2 Member Posts: 12
    I've been driving mine for just under 2 weeks. It's fast and handles great. I love all the features...moon roof, power everything..almost., great sound system and so much more. I do agree with the rear blind spots and how far back the seat belt holder is. From 7 to 8 grand this engine sings a nice song!! How many miles do you guys wait before "performance" testing? I probably started a little early...
    I'm getting 30mpg with mostly highway driving. I'm happy with that.
    This car was sitting on the dealers showroom floor. I walked in and bought it, and drove it home the same day. That was Jan 2. Other dealers told me it wouldn't be available until mid January. I paid 20,540. They had super fancy wheels on it that would have cost an extra 2500 but I had them put the nice stock ones back on...2500 is just a bit to much for wheels for me.
    I drove my first extended drive in my new 06 Si yesterday. The field of vision is horrible. I have owned many coupes and sports cars, and this one will take some adjustment. I am short and raising the seat makes the field of vision worse. Also, the glare from the dashboard runs half way up the windshield which I have never experienced, drives me crazy. Maybe a black dashcover will work. I have had over 30 cars in the past 10 years and this is really unlike any other. BUT,, the car is fun,fun,fun.
    My husband is monitoring my driving to break the car in for 600 miles as per the manual, but I pat the dash every drive and tell Chili Pepper that she soon will sing!
  • bmxxxbmxxx Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting a new car in 2 months and I still can't decide between a new civic si or a cobalt ss.
  • redboneplayboyredboneplayboy Member Posts: 2
    The civic will be a little more fun to tune, a cobalt will be fun too but I'm sure that as soon as you sign the paper work to get your cobalt the price has dropped 5 to 6 thousand. They just have little value, I'd go with the civic. I think the cobalt was a good attempt at the sports compact car line but I really can't get over how fast they lose there value. And just think, honda doesn't put out a 6 speed that often. I think they have done it only 3 times I may be wrong, once on a 2004 or 05 Accord coupe, I'm not sure but I think the S2000 and now on the 06 Civic SI. So you might be getting a rare car going with the 06 Civic SI not even knowing it initially.
  • mtbridermtbrider Member Posts: 16
    The Cobalt will be faster regarding straight-line performance, but that's because it's supercharged...it should be faster;on the other hand, the relatively low-grade, Fisher-Priceish interior materials, lackluster handling and steering, lower resale value, and poorer reliability of the Chevy should swing your opinion the other way. I confirmed these concerns (printed in various car magazine reviews) with a personal tour of the el-cheapo Chevy at a local dealership and was most certainly not blown away by the product.
    Kalamazoo,
    The glare from the (ivory) dash bothered me a lot at first but I don't notice it much now, thankfully. Maybe that will be your experience too. The mirrors are all quite nicely placed and big enough, and they "partially" compensate for the field of vision that is not great. But be sure to actually turn your head for left blind spot moves, - do NOT depend on just the mirrors for THAT.
    strumelia
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    Do you Mean Cobalt SS or Cobalt SS SC (Supercharged)

The SS is available in sedan and coupe, with a 2.4l 171 hp engine and available 4AT, while the SS SC is only a coupe with 2.0 Supercharged with 205 hp and 5MT only. Price difference may be great enough of a deciding factor.

I'd say the SS SC would win in straight line performance and be close in handling to the Si. The SS would still be fairly quick with better torque than the Si.

The Si has that great 6MT and high revving 2.0 K engine. You also get the "legendary Honda reliability" although the difference between Honda and others reliability isn't as great anymore, IMO.

Six speed manuals are also available in Accord V6 sedans starting this year, so not really 'rare' and I think not a deciding factor.

So, basically I couldn't decide either. You're posting in the Honda forum, so undoubtedly the responses will be more in favor of the Si. Perhaps indicative of a subconscious preference for the Si? Test drive both, then may it will be easier to decide?

Back on topic of the Civic Coupe, have any coupe AT owners noticed the 'growling' problem at ~1500 RPMs that the sedan owners have been talking about?
    Strumelia, Kalamazoo or any of yother lucky ones that have already got the 2006 Honda Civic Si let me ask you a question:

The literature says the first 5 gears are close ratio, which is good. That implies that 6th gear is a tall highway cruising gear which is even better.

What speed in Miles Per Hour are you going per thousand RPM in 6th gear?

I am not sure when my car will arrive since the little asterick says "Rallye Red" is not available until early 2006.

2006 Civic Si On Order,

MidCow
  • promikepromike Member Posts: 35
    Was told by a dealer today that he is only getting 1 SI per month for the next 6 months. He said that I could have one at sticker. Does anyone know if the SI is really going to be that scarce?
    Initially it appears it will be scarce. I am not sure of the capacity of the Great Britain facilities where the final assembly of the Si is performed.

Waiting patiently ......

MidCow
    Sorry Midcow, but I have a 2006 EX Coupe, not a Si.
    strumelia
    Heck, I don't really understand what "tall" means here. At 75mph in 6th, rpm is around 2700. We are having our last warmish morning with no ice today, it's raining here in Michigan which is unusual for January, but Pepper is going out today again. Tonight ice is on schedule and snow tomorrow. I'll see if this new puppy navigates snow. If not a trip to Tire rack is in order for Winter tires. Hubby is taking the SUV to Houston for 3 months. He want the Si, but he really doesn't deserve it!
    The new Si is built in Alliston(sic?)Ontario. Last year's model was in England.
    I have heard from over 6 dealers, 15k builds this year. Each dealer is getting 1 per month for the first 3 months. A dealer in Ill.last week when we were passsing through had an unsold Black and said they have 6 on order, and will get 6. But, the Si's seem to be coming in as Honda wants them built, not as ordered. My Si was to have Summer tires and shipped without. All dealers we stopped from Houston to Michigan last 2 weeks were without Summer tires or nav.
    Kalamazoo,

Thanks for the info 75/2700* 1000 = 27.78 That is very good. The IS300 I have is only 22 in 5th gear which was about the same as a 95 Integra GSR I had. The Accord V6, I have is around 30 in 6th gear ( nice an tall, highway mileage = 29-30)

The 27.7 is pretty tall which mens it should get good highway mileage, close to the EPA rating of 32 mpg.

Soon to be double sixes ( 6-speed 2006 Si, 6-speed 2005 Accord Coupe),

MidCow
    Okay thanks, the web site I polled apparently updated some of the stats to 2006, but not all of them :)

Si on order,

MidCow
    At 80 I tach a bit over 3500 and I know that at 75 I'm over 3k...I'll do a very accurate test on my way home tonight and post the results tomorrow but 6th gear does not feel "tall" to me at all.My average mpg is 30. It feels like it could use another gear.
    Chuckd2,

Thanks for the Info. I have a 2002 5-speed Lexus IS300 and in top gear I only get 22 miles per thousand rpm. At 80 mph I am gong 3600 rpm. It is not geared tall, but very low and could use another gear. However, maybe Lexus luxury is lazy because from 40 mph up you really don't have to downshift to pass.

My 2005 Honda Accord V6 EX Coupe on the otherhand is geared tall in 6th gear at around 30 miles per thousand RPM. At 80 miles per hour the tach is only at about 2600 RPM which alows it to get 29-32 mpg on flat highway driving.

I am getting the 2006 Civic Si as a fun commuter car and hopefully get good mileage.

soon to be double sixes (two 6-speed standards),

MidCow
  • vinman1vinman1 Member Posts: 1
    At 70MPH the tach is around 31-32k. I have a silver 06 SI i picked up in late december. I lover everything about the car. I don't like how the computer holds the RPM's for 2-3 seconds after you take your foot of the pedal.
    This "tall" concept is new to me. I agree, that the si seems like it could use another gear. No acceleration in 6th. I have only had 5 speeds in the past and have not experienced this. This car has a WOW factor with the under 25 yr old males, which I like, improves resale factor and old lady coolfactor.
  • travis77travis77 Member Posts: 63
    dude the colbalt got the worst rating in consumer reports for everything including reliability. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole and 10 peolpe pushing me,,, just the cavalier replacement and everybody that has any sense, knows the cavaliers are junk. my wife had one for her first car and the front passenger wheel broke off and rolled her seven times,,, resulting in $250,000 in medical bills.
    Something is amiss vinman reports "At 70MPH the tach is around 31-32k." That means the miles per 1,000 RPM are only betwenn 21.9 and 22.6. That is about the same as huck2d reports "At 80 I tach a bit over 3500" = 22.85 and much different than Kalamazoo reports 'At 75mph in 6th, rpm is around 2700."= 27.8 I am hopeing that Kalamazoo is right . 22 miles/1000 RPM was what the previous Si and Intergra GSR owners got with a short geared 5-speed.

Is anyone planning exhaust and intake modifications?

Soon to have a Si,

MidCow
    Kazoo is wrong. Yesterday at 80mph I was taching at 3500 even. At 75 it was 3100. I must have been going downhill the other day. So far I am getting 28.7mpg during breakin. Okay, a few fun shifts to rev line and mostly freeway driving. THis car really is so smooth and quiet it is very difficult keeping it at speedlimit or breakin limit. Today, it will hit over 600 miles. I think the gas mileage is improving as well.
    Don't Understand ??? I am confused :confuse:

You said Kazoo is wrong, but the Kalamazoo I was referring to was one of your earlier posts #384 you said:" At 75mph in 6th, rpm is around 2700 " Then you changed in post #395 and said: "At 75 it was 3100"

So at 75 mph are you seeing 2,700 or 3,100 RPM? You have stated both. Again I don't know who Kazoo is unless there are more than one person posting with the member name "kalamazoo"

Have a good evening,

MidCow

Just Zainoed the Accord, four weeks into order on Si
    I am Kalamazoo, unfortunately I was speaking in the third person in my latter post as my name is really not Kalamazoo. 3100 at 75 is accurate. Second tank of gas was at 28mpg even. I am driving the Si to the North American Auto Show in Detroit today. I am not officially past the breakin period and I should have some fun with the Si if I94 is not too crowded.
    Okay thanks!, Glad you have almost got your Si broken in!

I'm jealous. By the way, what color is your Si ?

On order Si,

MidCow
  • detyreddetyred Member Posts: 1
    My son (mid 30s) has just bought a coupe automatic. He does 25 miles to work and 20 of that is uninterupted highway miles.
    On the first two tanks ( fill to fill same pump), he has had 28 and 29 MPG.
    Anyone else experiencing such a dramatic drop from the displayed milage?
  • claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    Throughout the hundreds of posts both here, and in the Sedan forum and MPG forum for the Civic, you will see many people don't get the "displayed" mileage. By displayed mileage, I assume you mean the mileage on the window sticker, which are EPA estimates, ie 30 city, 40 hwy.

First of all, EPA estimates are known to be way off in some cases, and for this reason, the EPA is finally changing the way it tests mileage, for the first time since the 70's I believe.

Secondly, many factors affect mpg. How fast does your son drive? I know of many people who have to drive 75-85 mph to keep up with traffic. Higher speeds can have a dramatic impact. How hard does he accelerate? This too can drastically affect mpg. Check the tires too, wrong psi can screw with economy. Don't trust the dealer to have checked for proper pressure.

That being said, the car is brand new. It's not even broken in yet. Many people see mileage being very crappy, then improving as the engine gets broken in. Sometimes people report that they see mileage continuing to improve until they hit around 10,000 miles and then staying about the same.

I'd wait for a few thousand miles. You should see mileage improve.
    Habenero Red is my Si, I wanted Resale red, but Habenero was delivered so I took it. It was the featured color at the auto show in Detroit along with a Galaxy Gray on the podium. The habenero definitely got the thumbs up from the crowd. The show was jammed packed yesterday. The cars that seemed to get the most attention were the Chrysler Imperial, Camaro, SuperChief truck, Mazda Kabura,and the Si. With the Si20-80 thousand dollars less, what a deal! I now have 950 miles on it in a week. I look for excuses to drive it. I think I need to go to the Apple store 50 miles away today, after the ice melts. Best Buy will not do ,it's too nearby. The Si is getting 3M tape on the front tomorrow. Kazoo
  • greg25greg25 Member Posts: 7
    2006 CPE AT. 25 miles of highway miles to work, 6 stop signs. I am consistently getting between 32.5 to 33.5 MPG.
    I have 3800 miles on the car. My worst tank was 31 and best was 35.66.
    I just got a safety recall notice in the mail. The letter says 2006 Honda Civics need to be brought in to have two problems fixed:
    One is that the accelerator pedal could come loose from the floor and you might be stuck in throttle with no gas pedal (!!)
    Two is that they need to replace the defective front passenger side air bag control (the ODS unit) so it doesn't inflate if a small child or infant seat is sitting in the front seat- airbags can kill small children.

How annoying. I wonder if this affects all 2006 Civics- it did not specify the Coupe. Now I'm making an appointment to spend half a day off work to get this stuff fixed on my brand new 2006 Civic. :(
    Strumelia
    P.S. If you are on a waiting list for your car I would make sure to ask the dealer if these 2 things have been fixed in your particular car BEFORE you take possesion and drive home.
    I just checked my Honda Owner Link site and they say there are no recalls for my SI...
    That's not to say the site is fully up to date. This will be a good test to see if that owners site is maintained..
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    You'd be surprised how much 5 miles of city driving can offset 20 miles of freeway driving on the commute.

Also the old adage - your mileage may vary - has a lot to do with how aggressively or gently you drive. I was taught to drive like there was an egg between my foot and the gas pedal (smoothness of throttle application, not amount of throttle!), to read the road ahead and let the car coast down instead of having to apply the brakes when traffic slows. Finally, to stay away from "jackrabbit" starts.

I did learn one thing recently that surprised me. "Bad habits" then to drop the freeway mileage more than city mileage, in terms of percentage of drop.
  • braddockbraddock Member Posts: 2
    Where did you find you're seat covers? Looking for the same for our lx Coupe.

Thanks
  • travis77travis77 Member Posts: 63
    I have a 06 civic ex and have filled up 2 times now,, and i got 26 mpg both times,, it's decent i guess compared to the LEMON i was driving (04 gmc sierra 15 mpg),,, but i think i'd be a little happier with an average of about 30mpg instead of 26mpg.
  • braddockbraddock Member Posts: 2
    Thank You :)
    Well, I think you were asking me where I got my SHEEPSKIN seat covers (not just some cloth covers). It was here:
    http://www.rmsheepskin.com/
    Strumelia
    (riding around on deep pile plush shearling)
    If you are expecting the NAV, currently it is not avaialble yet. Just a FYI.

Rallye Red Si, order confirmed but with no NAV

MidCow
  • manashtashmanashtash Member Posts: 7
    We've had this vehicle for about 3 months now and it has about 1500 miles on it. In the last couple of weeks something strange has started occurring with the car alarm. If you get out of the car without locking the doors, ie filling up the gas tank or parking in your garage, when you reopen the door the car alarm goes off (very annoying)! This did not happen the first two months we had the car. Anyone else having this issue? Dealer says it's normal!! One other note is that the passenger door will not unlock with the remote, even after pressing the unlock button numerous times.
  • manashtashmanashtash Member Posts: 7
    We made our first couple of hundred mile trip with the new car and found playing CDs on a long trip made them so hot you could hardly touch them when they were ejected from the player, even if they were only in there a few minutes! This doesn't occur with short trips just around town. It is winter and maybe the heating ducts are too close to the CD player. Anyone else having this issue?
  • earthearth Member Posts: 76
    We've had this vehicle for about 3 months now and it has about 1500 miles on it. In the last couple of weeks something strange has started occurring with the car alarm. If you get out of the car without locking the doors, ie filling up the gas tank or parking in your garage, when you reopen the door the car alarm goes off (very annoying)! This did not happen the first two months we had the car. Anyone else having this issue? Dealer says it's normal!! One other note is that the passenger door will not unlock with the remote, even after pressing the unlock button numerous times.
    -------------------------------------------
    I drove to the market. Stayed in the car for a few minutes waiting until the store to open, the car door locked on me within thirty seconds or so. Open the door and the alarm went off. Happen a few times only, but not all the time. Did not like this on bit. As far as the alarm going off at the gas pumps. I leave my door open, and do not close it while pumping gas and no alarm going off. Guess you closed the door while pumping gas. I should try this in a large empty parking lot someday.
This discussion has been closed.