Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic Coupe / Civic Si 2006+

Comments

• dotsaradotsara Member Posts: 8
    Sweet! Congrats on the car! That Fiji Blue is pretty.

No steering problems for mine (whew!), but there is an annoying rattle/knock at the right rear at low speeds (braking for a light, backing into my parkin' spot). Everything I'm reading here leads me to think it might be the rear deck! D'oh.

Congrats again. (:
  • honda11honda11 Member Posts: 22
    Dotsara,

I am scheduled for an alignment soon and I heard the exact sound you described. LOUD knock at right rear. It seemed much louder than brakes would sound. If it ends up being shocks or anything I will post it, otherwise don't worry too much, mine hasn't done it again.
    I am one of the ones struggling with steering but as I have posted before I just think it's the way the car is made. I do not do well with overly light power steering. I only want mild assist and the more I drive the more I think the "all over the road" feel is steering I can't get used to (combined with some alignment issues). I need road feel. I wish other people did, because most of the cars, even sports models are being made this way. :cry:
  • manashtashmanashtash Member Posts: 7
    I didn't actually see the missing sealant issue, the dealer told me that is what they found to be causing the complaint I had of a squeeking noise in the left rear corner of the cabin. Didn't have any invasion of water in the area, but we live in the desert and it rarely rains here.

We are still happy with this car, but a little disappointed with the number of minor issues that we've had to get corrected, especially since Honda is reputed to be high in reliability.
    Manshtash;

I visit 3 message boards and have heard the "creaking" windshield complaint numerous times. Afraid what it could be a precursor too (windshelds aren't supposed to CREAK even in old cars) I have referred a few people to these boards to verify what others are saying. I was called a "liar" by some but people have to read and do their research. There are now 2 complaints on the NHTSA site.

Glad you are happy overall and I am right there with you where reliability is concerned as I invested in the 06 Civic EX myself. I hope Honda hasn't gone downhill like many other car makers and will fix/prevent these problems. I am a walking/driving advertisement for the company in fact. My Acura is 16 years old and still driving strong. A friend was in it tonight and commented how he couldn't believe a car that old drove so confidently and didn't even have rattles. There isn't (except when I forget to latch the deck cover) :D
  • civicman1civicman1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey willowct

Background:

That was my complaint with the NHTSA. I am still searching for the issue. Honda Canada says they have had no complaints about this issue except from me. After my research on the internet, I have noted plenty of accords, tsx's, tl's and of course civics that have had similar issues. I have been extremely dissapointed by Honda in this matter. I spend 20gs on a product, I expected technical support from their head office if the dealership was not able to diagnose the problem. This was not available for me.

As for the problem:

My front and rear windshield makes cracking / popping / creaking noises depending upon your choice of word, when I go over a bump or if the road fluctuates. First noticed a light-moderate level noise in the bottom right hand corner of windshield during first week of ownership back in November when I was driving on the freeway (on the first below freezing day -3'C since ownership). Much louder cracking noise occurred in top left windshield (driver's side) after 3 weeks of use. This cracking noise is the biggest issue of all. Sounds like glass is about to pop out of the pillars. Also lighter noises (partially deafened by the cracking in the front windshield) from rear windshield.

The Sound:

To give you an idea of the cracking noise produced, it sounds as though the metal all around the windshield is moving, and that movement places a great deal of pressure into a couple spots of the windshield, forcing that windshield to make a "crack" sound.

Instances where this noise occurs:

The rubber fill they put into cracks on freeways makes the cracking noise occur. Cracking noise is defintely louder and more frequent on a cooler day. On a warm day it is much more rare to hear a cracking sound. Cracking noise can occur anywhere from not once for 3 or 4 days, to once a minute, to 40 times a minute depending upon temperature and road conditions. Sometimes even on the roughest roads and the coldest temperatures, it does not crack. However, 65% of the time is does crack.

As for solutions:

I did notice that if i lightly smack the top driver's side area of the windshield from the inside, and turn on the AC full blast, I can make the noise occur more frequently and louder. This would indicate that it is definitely a seal/glue issue with the window. Does anyone agree with this hypothesis? I did this once before as I was driving to a honda dealership for them to inspect it - for the third time - as it wasn't making a noise at first.

The only solution that I have read about that seems to work is replacing the actual windshields. I read that on a website dealing with civics, accords, and tsx's.

However, the Honda dealership in Toronto did not want to do this without tearing apart the interior of my car first. Inspect the A-Pillars and see if the airbags were moving around. I told him it is definitely NOT a moving part. If that is what they think it may be, then I am not leaving them with my car to fix a 'noise' issue that they don't understand. They will only make a muck of my new vehicle.

Ok, I have already written too much. Someone please reply with your thoughts and questions. I will be looking forward to them.

Jon
  • willowctwillowct Member Posts: 15
    Hey Jon,

Glad to meet you as your complaint at the NHTSA site was what convinced me I was not alone.

Here's the deal with my 2006 Civic coupe: same rattling, squeaking noises that escalated quickly to the rear windshield peeling off at right rear pillar, and by 2 days later--the day of my Honda service appt.--the rear windshield had lifted off the entire roofline frame.

I have my Honda service dept papers that say, I'm paraphrasing here as the papers are not right next to me, that there was "insufficient caulk." As I've written before, the Honda service dept and their glass guys had never seen anything like this before.

Okay, why, people ask. I put forward this hypothesis to the Honda service dept and to the sales dept: it is quite possible Honda used the standard amount of caulk that they always use on their cars. However, they might not have factored in the lowered angle of the newly configured rear and front windshields.

In other words, caulk that kept in a windshield installed at a moderate angle would have the downward weight of the windshield as an added safety: the straighter, up and down, the windshield, the more the windshield will be secure.

For a windshield that is a lot more horizontal in the new Civics, more caulk would be needed to keep it in place. The driving with the open windows factor is what is really terrifying about this.

I have not had any contact with Honda itself. The dealer seems willing to let us dump the car, although it has been a logistical nightmare so far. The dealer manager and the service manager both assured me they were informing their zone reps immediately.

I also wound up signing my life away for a price above retail price. Oh well.

I can't wait to get rid of the thing. I would suggest, Jon, that any Honda dealer service dept can tell, or their glass guys can tell, if your windshields are not installed securely enough. I know the squeaks and rattles you talk about and they all STOPPED when the rear windshield was reglued. No need for new window; just insist they reglue, it sounds like in your case, both the rear and front windshields before they have a worse problem on their hands: your powerlessly watching a dislodged windshield fly into someone else's car.

Let me know if this helps.
  • franceyfrancey Member Posts: 21
    Willowct:
    What do you mean by:

"I also wound up signing my life away for a price above retail price."

Just curious. Francey
  • mocivicmocivic Member Posts: 5
    I've been Internet shopping for a 2006 Civic LX coupe automatic and got promised an out-the-door cost of $18,300. the base price was $16250. Anyone getting better deals in So. Calif. or elsewhere?
  • donald02donald02 Member Posts: 54
    You got me there! Yes, there was no internet 30 years ago but you could get dealer cost prices including holdback and you could call a sales manager for any dealer and get his/her best offer.

If you stay out of the dealership until it's time to pick up the car you'll usually end up with a better price because you're in control of the negotiation. The point is if you follow this approach you'll end up saving money.
  • ritlinritlin Member Posts: 36
    I thought this was an Si enthusiast forum, not the complaint center! I am looking for others excited about their Si as I am. It is an awesome car, feels like it was built around me. The seat embraces me and just loves to be driven...fast. I hope I don't get any tickets being Rallye Red and all! My car does pull to the right a little. I have has it about 3 weeks and noticed it about 4 days ago. Will the dealer align it for me for free? Anyone know?
    Ritlin: You miss the point of this forum. It's for people who have 2-door coupes and like them and/or have problems with them. How are other people going to know there are problems if they aren't discussed in an open forum? Being aware of a problem that might be life-threatening to you, or someone else, is good to know.

You are looking for a chat room that is all positive, then you turn around and ask for the solution to a problem: "My car pulls to the right a little". NOW, that's what a Forum is for. To seek advice and share problems.

And, you like to drive fast... great! Do you live near a racetrack where you can open it up? If not, how about the safety of those you pass and meet? Have you given any thought to them if you lose it?
    Have you read the book that came with the car, saying take it easy for the first 600 miles, for the benefit of the car? I don't think so, not if you've only had it 3 weeks. In the long run, If you treat the car well, the car will treat you well. Just my 2Cents worth.
  • inforeminforem Member Posts: 6
    Hopefully getting my Civic Si this month. Ordered it on Dec. 28, 2005, but I ordered it with navigation and they don't seem to be making too many with navigation.
    Giving my 2003 Civic Si to my son and trading in my 1997 Prelude.
    Hope I am as lucky with this Si as with my previous one.....and by the way I'm far from your typical Si driver. I just turned 50 :D !!!!!
    Happy Birthday inforem.
    You are giving yourself a dandy birthday gift. And, what a lucky son, to be given
    your young 2003 SI. What is your wife driving? Just curious. Bye. Francey
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    inforem,

Sounds like a great car. I had a Really Red Si with NAV on order back in December , but my special order fell through. The dealer also had a problem getting the NAV and in December Rallye Red wasn't yet available. I ended up getting a 2006 S2000 in Red.

Again Good luck,

MidCow

P.S.- I don't fit the profile either make too much and am older than you; Life is GOOD!

P.S.S - For you guys with torque pull to the right look at your toe-in. If you bias the toe end just a degree of 2 inward it will eliminate most of you torque pull with very little additional tire wear. Remeber you have a lot of horsepower and torque being applied to a FWD car ! Remebr equal moment arms, equal traction :)
    At the moment she is driving a 2003 Jeep Liberty Freedom. The biggest piece of junk Jeep has made. I've had Grand Cherokee's since 1994 and this car is terrible. No more Jeeps for me.......looking to get rid of it in July 2006 and hopefully replacing it with a 2006 CR-V. I like at least one 4 wheeler. Too bad an Accord doesn't come in 4 wheel drive.
    Midcow----- my dealer said that even though I ordered a black navigation Si, they just might send in one in the color they want......a wait and see. Like you my second choice is a S200 but we are talking $10,000 more to drive a car into the Bronx, NY where I am a teacher. We will wait and see.
    Francey you are a a psyhic as I did buy it for my birthday...do you know the lottery numbers?
    inforem,

Good luck . The Honda VTEC engines that rev to 8,000 RPM are awesome. Both the Si and S2000 are great choice.

Here in Houston, you can drive a convertible most of the year. In the bronx you would probably garage it part of the Winter.

The traction and stability control on the 2006 S2000 is awesome!

But alas, you are right got the S2000 at invoice , where the Si was going to be MSRP. About 10K difference.

I shift, ( as opposed to those shiftless people; synonym shiftless people = lazy people )

MidCow

P.S.- New went for Jeep. New CRVs auto only, V6 is pretty pwerfil!
    inforem,

Good luck . The Honda VTEC engines that rev to 8,000 RPM are awesome. Both the Si and S2000 are great choice.

Here in Houston, you can drive a convertible most of the year. In the bronx you would probably garage it part of the Winter.

The traction and stability control on the 2006 S2000 is awesome!

But alas, you are right got the S2000 at invoice , where the Si was going to be MSRP. About 10K difference.

I shift, ( as opposed to those shiftless people; synonym shiftless people = lazy people )

MidCow

P.S.- New went for Jeep. New CRVs auto only, V6 is pretty pwerfil!
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    http://www.honda.co.uk/civic/
    Probably old news for many here, but OMG - it's so different. Why can't we get this over here in the U.S.?

If one of the forum admins is reading this - can you PLEASE create a U.K. Civic category? This is a compeltely new car compared to the current generation of "Civics".
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    You asked:

I've been Internet shopping for a 2006 Civic LX coupe automatic and got promised an out-the-door cost of $18,300. the base price was $16250. Anyone getting better deals in So. Calif. or elsewhere?

Wait, according to the website, the LX automatic is $17,310 plus $550 destination, or $17,860. In Northern California, where I live, tax is about 8.25 %, Doc fee is $45, tire disposal $8.75, and registration is about $225. So I make an MSRP total price of $19,612. In other words, it sounds like you are being offered a pretty good deal. Where did you get a "base price" of $16,250?
  • mocivicmocivic Member Posts: 5
    Two dealers in So Cal: Hollywood Honda, and Pasadena Honda. The first gave me a base of $16142, and after calling the 2nd, they came down to $16145. Both for the LX automatic in Atomic Blue. NOW if I can just get over my hesitation at buying a "first-year design." Especially after reading about some of the problems. I'd like to think of Hondas as "trouble free," but I don't know after reading this board. Is it just the nature of the board that ANY car is going to have flaws pointed out and make one think the worst?
    According to Edmunds the price of the 2006 LX Honda Coupe is as follows:

MSRP 17310 Invoice (Base) 15835

Less Dealer Holdback at 2% -316.70
    ________

Total Dealer Cost 15518.30

Forget about the taxes, destination, etc., they are fixed costs and don't affect the analysis. So, anything over 15518.30 is money the dealer makes on the car which he uses to pay his salesmen and other overhead. What's left is his profit. If you can do the deal with the dealer making 350-500 over his cost your getting a good deal.
  • jph3006jph3006 Member Posts: 49
    Donald02: Great analysis! May I change something in your calculations? In 2006, factory holdback for Hondas is 3% of base MSRP. So dealer cost is even lower than what you showed. Also, remember dealers do not PAY the cost, the finance it at somewhere around $180 per month. If a car is sold within 10 days or so of arriving, the dealer pays virtually nothing for inventory of it.

Currently, there are no factory to dealer incentives for the 2006 Honda Civics which lowers a dealers cost even further for a given car. If the car in your example cost 15,316, it pretty difficult for a dealership to sell it for less than a 4% profit ($613) due to escalating total overhead costs the new car sales department must contribute to a dealership.

I went to 10 dealerships to present my offer before they agreed and I bought my 2006 LX sedan at cost + 5% with no additional opportunity for the dealership to make money on options, trade in, financing, extended warranties, or other "fees" added to the deal.
    plekto:

Each forum reader has the ability to create a new thread. If you really want to create a thread on the UK Civic be my guest. I am not sure how much of the audience would be interested, but I might be suprised.

Look at the link "Start a New Thread" when you atart to reply to a previous posting or here is the URL link: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.efc6d19/635

Cheers,

MidCow
    I frequent this board and the Mercedes E Class board and it's very reassuring to read a post from someone who knows how to buy a car. GOOD JOB and thinks for the update on the latest holdback percentage for Honda.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    They did a review of it on TopGear and it's a completely different vehicle. It looks like a 2-door hatchback, but it has magic seats, fold-out rear doors(like on a RX-8), gets 48mpg(adjusted for U.S. Gallons - 55 in the U.K.), and much more.

http://www.honda.co.uk/civic/
    That's nothing like ANY other Civic that I've seen in Japan or the U.S.
    Well i got a call from my dealer and he had good news and bad news.......the Civic Si with nav should be in next week....the bad news is Honda increased the prices of Civic $200 and Si by $300. Has anyone else heard this?
    He informed me that it was ok if I didn't want it because he has 4 buyers for it. They are not taking anymore orders for the car for this year.
    Of course he knew I wanted the car.....but chances are he doesn't know he lost me as a customer for my CRV..... How that saying go "pound wise, penny foolish"!!!!!
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    Honda announced those price increases awhile back. Guess you haven't been paying attention. (?)
  • neblackshirtneblackshirt Member Posts: 1
    First, thanks to everyone for the comments/forum. I bought the Civic Coupe based on your comments the last three months. Ordered the car March 4th and took delivery April 1st, not bad but that's April Fool's day!!! Two weeks out, 600 miles and no problems. No pull left or right, no loose rear window (still checking), no rattles, no seat belt rubbing on seat, it's solid so far. First 1/2 tank 28 MPG, second 3/4 tank 38.8 MPG (now were getting there). No cruise control use yet, and still moving the RPM up and down on a regular basis, as just finishing up the break-in. I think she will do somewhere around 45 mpg. We'll see, but very encouraged. Drive 65 miles a day, 90% highway.

My first car ever, and I'm 52. I have always driven trucks, so making some adjustments. Current truck is a 2004 GMC 2500 HD 4x4, 13 MPG, but I need one for the farm, but work in the city. What a change with the Honda! I'm impressed. For those of you that say there is to much road noise, I disagree. Mine is rolling on Eagles and my daughter's 2004 Mazda 6 is worse, or go for a ride in my truck! For those of you that like to compare the numbers, Sticker $17,860 including the $550.00 destination. I added splash guards (I live on a country road) and added all weather mats. Delivered price in Lincoln Nebraska, $16,990. Does not include any taxes. You pay for that in Nebraska when you tag the car.

I pin striped the car with a black twin line down the top line, front headlight to to back taillight. Looks good as it breaks up all of that white. It gets a lot of looks in the city as it's the only Coupe I've seen.

I'll keep you "posted". :)
  • goosegoose Member Posts: 77
    Pictures of that model have been around for about 1 year. Its believed by some that its the next Acura RSX. I like its interior more than the 06 American Civic. Also, the versatility of the back seat area is nice. However the outside is to egg shape for me.
    Currently own the 06 EX Coupe automatic with 8K miles and have zero complaints. Getting 34 MPG average mixed city/highway driving and lots of AC use.
  • dimitri0917dimitri0917 Member Posts: 5
    About speculative civic body styles... Del Sol folks! All I want is a topless Si and I'll live. It wouldn't bite off of the s2000 b/c it would seat four. I've been begging for an Accord drop-top since 02. It failed last time but it just may work. It would definitly put a huge ace up Honda's sleeve. I'm sure its possible and someone has to agree with me. Build it ya [non-permissible content removed]! LoL ( not racist, just a bit of a ranter) ;)
  • homerj_1homerj_1 Member Posts: 3
    Hey Guys, I own a Nighthawk Black Pearl Civic Ex Coupe 5 Speed I am trying to locate a set of In-Channel Vent Visors for it Has anybody else tried to find these and if so from where, I have done some research there is a guy selling some on Ebay they are EGR Brand and he states these will fit from 2001 to 2006 Civic Ex And I know there is NO WAY with the Body style changes that these will work, this is the last accessory for now that i want to add to it, I had the Windows Tinted, Cargo Net,and Factory Fog Lights and all weather floor mats, Any help would be great thanks
  • riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    Try here: WeatherTech
  • slowpedalerslowpedaler Member Posts: 62
    This is my first post on this forum. I bought a Galaxy Gray EX Coupe 5-Speed two days ago. Coming from a 2000 Porsche Boxster S, sensitive steering and road noise are not exactly an issue for me. In fact, my biggest surprise is how much of a sports car this thing is. I think Honda may do well to make the differences between the Coupe and Sedan a little more apparent to the public. In the past the 4-door and 2-door Civics were more like two different body styles of the same car, which was basically a commuter. My Coupe seems very involving and performance oriented, to the point that I imagine it's much more of a detuned Si than a sportier Sedan. I could see folks just looking for a stylish, reliable commuter being a little taken aback by what turns out to be a slightly-under-the-radar backroad burner. Yeah, only two days but, I love it!

This is not to disregard folks with real problems. Just a POV from a sports car perspective.
  • steve58steve58 Member Posts: 24
    Any feedback or opinions on future value/collectability of the 06 si ? With low production numbers, 15000,is that really that low? Along with the fact that they are almost impossible to get,I know hondas hold their value well. Anyway, I cant help but wonder is this car going to be a fairly rare collector car? I have never seen another 06 si ,except the nighthawk black one which I own. Or, Do you think we are just a very small group that really likes this car?
  • zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    Don't listen to the BS from the dealers! By making the Si seem rare and hard to get they're only trying to con people into paying over MSRP.It's a fairly new car,give it a couple years and it will be everywhere as people who would've previously bought the RSX type S will get the Civic Si,providing they like that funky dash of course.Or maybe everyone is bypassing the Civic Si and waiting for the all new CRX due out in the fall of 2007. Bet the greedy Honda dealers try to pass that off as rare and hard to get too!
  • perlsterperlster Member Posts: 9
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and am seriously considering buying a new Civic in the near future. :smile:

Since the DX comes with 15" wheels, while the higher-level trims have 16" wheels, the 16" wheels are obviously supposed to constitute an upgrade, but I don't really see it. :confuse: Is it simply that the car rides higher on the bigger wheels? Is the car's handling or performance improved? I just want to be assured that the only difference is not that I get to pay more for replacement tires.

:shades: Given the severe slope of the front windshield, I'm hoping that someone can relate good/bad experiences with using folding sunshades in the car (the rectangular type that are supposed to be held in place by the visors).
  • rivetedriveted Member Posts: 13
    There is only one reason in my opinion to move to bigger wheels and that's if you like the look. In the cuorse of eveyday driving it will not matter whether you have 15 or 16 inch wheels.

I cannot comment on the sunshade expect to get one! I live in Ohio (not famous for it's sun) and can tell you this thing gets HOT when left in lots. I have a 2006 SI in Habanaro Red with black interior and getting in it when the sun is shining is a real cooker... Love it, but a cooker still the same.
  • mtbridermtbrider Member Posts: 16
    It's odd how dealerships differ in their Si pricing. I know of a dealership where I live (Little Rock,AR) that is charging 4-5K over MSRP. 100 miles away at another dealership, they are selling them at MSRP.
    Wait, so where in the title does it say the complaint department, Francey? Anyway, you drew a lot of incorrect conclusions from my one paragraph.
    First, I said the car likes to be driven fast. No one buys a Si without appreciating a little speed. That doesn't mean that I am a speed demon driving through school zones as you somehow have derived.
    Second, I drive 3000 miles in a month. So, how does this give you the idea that I didn't read the break in part of the Owner's Manual? In fact, the salesperson drove it harder in the first 600 miles than I did!
    Other forums your remarks would have been taken off, so I wonder if you are the host or something. If you had read previous entries, you would have seen that I had asked about fuel economy of the Si, and was just repeating the REAL purpose of this forum as I understand it.
    As for the complaints, I just think there should be a balance of positives and negatives, not just all the negatives.
    So next time you decide to put your two cents in, do some research before you make a BAD investment. You would have lost a lot more than two cents!
    Oh, BTW my car doesn't have torque steer to the right, it pulls to the right at hwy speeds!
    IMO, I think that the Si will be a hot item for some time. I am not sure if it will be quite like the Mini Cooper S, but something like that. Even now, if you were to look for the old Si('99 style) it will be hard to find, and you will pay close to $10k, stock and in good condition. The '99 is not near the car that this is, and not near as popular either. It really depends if Honda makes a lot more. If they keep them in limited numbers as they have historically done then I believe it will be one of those cars that you should always be able to sell for a profit.
    Most dealers, as you may know, are selling this car for well over MSRP. Also, other used car dealers are buying this car and selling for big profits as well(similat to the Mini cooper S). Think about the mini Cooper S, now and realize how much it has depreciated over the last few years. You can't even find one discounted now, used or new.
    I am the proud owner of a Si, so I may be partial, but this is, in part, why I bought the car. The technology that goes into this car(helical LSD, all around air bags, etc.) is better than any other car in this price range. Which is also part of the reason that these cars are easily going for more than MSRP. BTW, I paid MSRP for mine, unless you consider the 1.13% increase that occurred at the time I bought mine, then I saved $300. I also got a great price for my trade in, and a great interest rate!
    My point is, that yes, I think it will be a very valuable car in the future, but just like buying a house or stock, the profits are usually made at time of purchase. So, to be safe, don't pay too much!
  • slowpedalerslowpedaler Member Posts: 62
    I'm not going to get involved in your spat with Francey, just wanted to comment on two things you brought up.

You know how the newspaper is always full of bad news? That's because good news isn't really news. Everything's fine, thanks for asking. It's the same thing with forums like this. I have an '06 EX Coupe that totally rocks. I don't feel very inclined to post that message unless someone specifically asks how we like our cars. This also poses a problem for folks researching cars on internet forums. All they read are complaints, so they assume the car is crap. Go check out a Porsche Boxter board. The one I just sold ran great but if you read the forums you'll assume they all blow up within 40000 miles!

About torque steer, my 140 horse Civic doesn't actually pull to the right, but it is easier to steer to the right than to the left. If I make small steering adjustments on the highway, it takes a slight bit more pressure to adjust left. I believe what I'm feeling is the slight amount of constant torque steer that most front-drivers have numbed out of their steering systems. I drove a Toyota Echo for years with no torque steer in normal driving at all, but the hydraulic assist was so strong I might as well have been playing an old video game. I could see what was going on through my windshield but I couldn't feel a thing!

If your Si has the same steering as an EX, but with 57 more horsepower, you're probably feeling a more pronounced version of what I've got.

Ask me about my car. It rocks!
    I was initially going to buy the EX coupe with a manual. Test drove it only it was an LX, and I wanted all wheel disc brakes, and loved the idea of all the other upgrades of the EX version, especially just trading in my '04 Accord LX.
    I loved the way it drove. I think you said something before about your car being a detuned Si? Well, a can concur with that. I read other posts and articles that said the 140 horse power wasn't all that good, so I questioned myself, plus it was almost impossible to find an EX with a manual. I then test drove an automatic, and really started second guessing. It felt like a totally different vehicle to me.
    Anyway, the Si came in first, and the salesperson was selling it to me for MSRP. If the ex coupe with a manual came in first, then I would have bought it.
    I am glad to hear that you are enjoying yours'. Have you done anything to upgrade the performance, such as exhaust or cold air? This was my intentions if I got the EX. What kind of fuel milage do you get? I average around 28-31mpg. I have gotten as low as 25.6(mostly city and heavy foot), and all the way up to 35.5(almost all hwy driving).
    I still wonder if I made the right decision, especially re: gas milage, but I don't really think there was a wron decision between the two. And the kid in me loves the performance of the Si. Funny, I almost wish I had them both!
    As far as the torque steer, I only notice the pull to the right when I am cruising down the hwy. If I don't intentionally keep it left, it will fade to the right. I haven't talked to my dealership yet, but wonder, being almost two months out from the purchase date, if they will adjust it for me for free.
    This is my only problem, and I hope all who read this will keep this in perspective, and realize that this is rwally a great car, made by a great manufacturer. I also was able to deal with a good dealership, which made the whole buying experience much more tolerable.
    Good Afternoon,

I wanted to comment on the torque steering. I have owned my 06 Civic SI since early March. Overall I love the car, but it has been back tot he dealership three times in attempts to correct a heavy pull to the left. I believe we finally have it corrected to the best of the dealership's ability. It did require two different alignments and a full set of new tires. According to the dealer the car shipped with incorrect tires from Michelin. What was told to me was the tires were specifically designed to handle the amount of torque the SI was going to be applying. Okay, so new tires, balancing and two times on alignment.

The dealership believes it's all good now. I on the other hand still struggle with the drift and pull of the vehicle. It is no where near what it was first time out, but still noticable to me. I have tried to be objective and have circum to the fact that its possible the torque is normal for a front wheel drive car like the SI... and I am simply not used to it. Afterall, I did move from a 2002 Infinity G35 rear wheel drive.

It's manageable but I still feel it needs constant attention... this may be good, I'm just not sure how I feel yet.

I love the car... love the speed and agility and currently love the rarity of my car in my area. I have yet to see another SI... while I am sure they are out there, I just haven't seen one.

Rivet
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Just curious, did you get the summer tire option, and if so would the regular all season's be easier to work with in terms of fixing the pull/drift you are experiencing? Although theoretically it shouldn't make any difference if the tires are the same size and can be balanced equally, I do know that the steering and ability to track straight when driving on some high performance tires can be issue, whereas others of the same size are not as affected by the shape of the road.
    I'll take the info. with me to the dealer.
    thanks
    ritlin: After reading these latest messages from you, it is obvious I spoke out-of-turn.
    I apologise. Francey
    Hey JBaumgart,

No I did not take the summer tire option. What was explained to me... (take it for what it's worth, cuz I struggled with the info given) was there was a mix up at the Honda plant in Canada and the inccrect tires were placed on the car when shipped from Alston, CA. According to the dealer, it was a recognized issues Honda identified shortly after. While the tires all appeared to be the same there was slight differences in the front and rear. They replaced the front and I had to wait an additional three weeks for the rear. I was told they were on national backorder and as soon as they came in the would replace.

The aligned the front and rear during the entire process. While in specification, they did say they could have been better and the dealer corrected.

The service manager and I both test drove the vehicle together. Beyond the tire issue his statement was the car is so tight the tracking follows the road very tightly so any variance in the road will cause the car to fade.

All very interesting.

I am curious... what's the top speed anyone has had their SI at?
    thanks for the apology. That was very big of you.
    Just wanted to update on the Civic steering/tracking issues. I have the EX Coupe BTW and not the Si. I posted within the first two weeks of owning the vehicle and have since been to my dealer and wanted to post an update.

The right pull and constant steering adjustments were attributed by my service manager to the power steering that is in my EX that is quite boosted for that size engine/vehicle.

They felt a change of tires would only give a "slight" improvement and not be worth it. Based on the last few posts they may be right. Of course, this is just their opinion but they felt that the assisted steering is feeding back every little road imperfection during city driving and will always require constant adjustments to track straight on the highway.

Personally I find it unbearable as I am used to a vehicle that tracks straight, has excellent steering feedback and practically requires no adjustments. Honestly the last time I was on the interstate with this car it was so jittery I felt like if I so much as sneezed I would end up in another lane.
    Dealer did not disagree with me but stated this "as normal for the vehicle" and basically no fix.
    Hopefully others will not have the problems I have had adjusting to this and all will be well for them in the future. Pleanty don't seem to have a problem.
    I on the other hand have opted to sell my Civic :cry:
    Riveted,

My last rear wheel drive was a Mazda Miata and my current vehicle (in addition to the civic) is an Acura Integra which is front wheel drive, so I can compare the difference. Torque steer and tracking is NOT an issue in my FWD Acura like it is in the Civic. It is not just you adjusting from RWD IMO. I am driving two different FWD's back to back and there is a complete difference in behavior, I don't think it is just the FWD.
This discussion has been closed.