Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan

13»

Comments

• samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    "...I'm sure Chrysler's market research has shown that it is a desirable option..."

I am also sure, that Chrysler's market research has shown that people need an elegant, inviting interior with superior fit & finish. My own market research has shown the same thing, as well. And so "your" market research. If so, then why do I read all over about the bad interior designs of recent Chrysler / Dodge offerings? Why does the upcoming 2008 model minivans interior look so not-promising?

Seems that Chrysler is using the same interior designer, even after all the critics. Somehow, they love him and can't part with him. What's up with that stupid-placed shifter; complicated temperature controls that sit almost as low as your feet; 2-nd row and rear seat which is as uncomfortable as the current vans, even though they increased the well behind the rear seat; and many more details.

Offering the new 4.0L engine and 6-speed auto in the top of the line LIMITED only, is one of the biggest mistakes they can do. That's not competitive at all. All other minivans offer a minimum of refined, 240 hp engines and at least a 5-speed. But Chrysler, who still wants to be the leader, will offer it only on the top shelf minivan. All other gets sub 200 hp and 4-speed trannys. Yes, in 2008.

I don't see Chrysler should do a lot of market research. I own already their products for many years, and so is our business and other friends and relatives, and NEVER have we been contacted by Chrysler, whether by mail, phone or e-mail, to ask us how satisfied we are, and what they can do in order to improve products so we stay a Chrysler customer in the future.
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    Who knows why their interiors are still not up to snuff? Because they're Chrysler and they like being known for crappy interiors year after year?

Personally, having owned three Chrysler's in the past, I always felt the interiors were designed great, the quality just wasn't always there.

While I'm done with Chrysler and have been since 2003, I'm still surprised at the things they think of to put in these vans (to their credit).

As for the market research comment, that was purely hypothetical. I was just making a point that while one person may think a power trunk, automatic climate control, rear seat dvd players, etc. are "silly and a waste of money," that doesn't necesarily mean the majority of the minivan buying public would also agree.

...otherwise these types of car options in this segement would have stopped advancing/getting copied by other makes years ago!
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    The hightest sales volume mid trim levels will have the 3.8L with 240ft-lb of torque and a 6-speed automatic.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    NOT so. The highest sales volume are the GC SE and T&C LX to fleet and rental. They will still have the 3.3L with 170 HP / 200 lb ft torque and 4 speed AT. :blush:
  • aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    Fleet sales are about 25% of DCX minivan sales and I'd say less than half of those are the GC SE and T&C LX models. Most are either SWB or DGC SXT based on airport rental lots. Also based on local dealer inventories, the DGC SXT and T&C Touring models are by far the most stocked. I don't have the exact sales numbers, but I still think more mid trim level minivans are sold/driven than low end.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    Living in Detroit, actually Auburn Hills, right next to Chrysler, I'm seeing a lot of 08 minivans running around with no disguises. The Town and Country looks fantastic...very classy, and the interior looks great. A huge step up. Now if they really stick to their just released prices, you'll be seeing Hondas and Toyotas being discounted. I'm still leaning towards a new Buick Enclave - it'll tow more, and is extremely quiet!!
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    I agree that it's better looking inside and out, and really wait to see one in person, and read reviews in magazines, but I have a feeling it's gonna end up the same way the Sebring ended...

The old-tech low hp engines which is the lowest in class, years behind the competition, and the newer more powerful is available on the Limited edition only (I hope it's will be an option on the Touring), the weird shifter which is somewhere between the column and IP, and interior design, will give it some bad ratings...
This discussion has been closed.