Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-series vs Lexus IS

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Having a nicer seat (which the BMW has BTW) is much different than having an interior that caters to the driver. For that reason alone, there are some (maybe a lot) who like the BMW interiors better. As I said before, better interior materials does not make a better interior.
  • maxidrivemaxidrive Member Posts: 70
    I was quoting you from your own post #1312! You said a so-called "ugly butt" wouldn't bother you in the least. So, in a sense you agree that the Bimmer has an ugly rear-end. :P
    I was quoting you from your own post #1312! You said a so-called "ugly butt" wouldn't bother you in the least. So, in a sense you agree that the Bimmer has an ugly rear-end. :P

I said "so called", because I was quoting the previous post, not because I agreed with that opinion.
  • v_ladv_lad Member Posts: 27
    Well, for those who care at least a bit about "sports" part of Lexus it will be obvious that it's not designed for it.
    It's traction control system for Performance tires triggers faster than my subaru legacy sedan with All-season tires start to loose traction.
    It does not have sport-shift mode (so-called "sport shift" mode does not allow you to see or change Current gear, it changes only maximum gear allowed). In this contex those "ears" on steering wheel look bland.
    And G35 easily beats Lexus exterior.
  • benzoservceguybenzoservceguy Member Posts: 60
    You can get a 250 with manual& NAV or Sport Or Premium or Luxury pak
    Trust me ... it's available EVEN if they tell you you can't .. you CAN

Cause I got one with Sport Pak & MT & 18"
    (Originally found one with MT, Sports & Nav)

Get the 250 with MT & 18" & save yourself 6G
    (BTW .. I might WORK for benz, but if you cut me, I bleed BMW blue)
    G35 with those ugly headlamps and one-dimension flush tail lights? Oh, please!
  • primetime79primetime79 Member Posts: 18
    agreed.

Infiniti G35 sedan exterior :cry:

Infiniti G35 Coupe :)

The exterior changes on the new model is even more atrocious. Hopefully, it grows on me, but right now I think Infiniti went from bad to worse!

Hopefully they dont mees up their nice looking coupe!
  • wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    According to Lexus' site, you can't get Luxury Pack in CA. You can get Nav though.

Maybe a dealer can order it but dealers around here don't seem to want to be bothered.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    G35 coupe is a good looking car. I think the '07 G35 sedan addresses part of that (but, I've only seen pictures). The Infiniti G interior can't come close to the BMW 3 Series, but they are supposed to be updating it, as well.

Good engine...a little rough around the edges, but good power.

I'd probably choose the G over the IS. But, still find the 3 series the king of the hill as a sports sedan, as most trade rags have said. Driving dynamics, styling, interior design, build quality, etc still is defined by the 3 Series.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    I said "so called", because I was quoting the previous post, not because I agreed with that opinion.

Even if it had an "ugly butt", at least the only ones who would be seeing much of it are the IS350 drivers. ;)
    Unless you're right behind another 330i and go into shock finally realizing how ugly your Bimmer's butt is! :P
    Driving dynamics, yes! But build quality, no way! 2 decades ago or so, I would have picked a German car, but not anymore - My first car was a BMW 316. Slowly, their quality control has deriorated and they're no longer as reliable as the Japanese.
    I guess it's better than being mistaken for a Civic :D
    To each their own....I found the 330i interior to have more of a fine "craftmanship" feel to it over the IS (more....better wood, bank vault solid, etc in the 3 series).
    What you're calling "craftmanship", I consider it austere by its lack of class, style, luxury and refinement.
    Again....to each their own....and of course, my opinion, but I found the IS interior to be gimmicky. The refinement banner went to the 330i, for me.
    The IS is on top of the 330i in all aspects, except cornering, of course IMO. :D
    And handling, and exterior and interior. And soon 0-60.
    Not as long as it has an ugly butt... Yes MAYBE soon 0-60, but for now it's left behind staring at the IS' behind and swearing "Wish I had that butt!" while at the same time sighing "Thank God, it can't see my ugly butt!" :P
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I actually like the rear end of the 3 series, coupe and sedan; being an admirer of rear ends that is.
    Having compared and driven the two cars, back-to-back, it's understandable to see where the likes of Edmunds, Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Automobile, etc all have fallen in love with the 330i.

Gotta give the likes of Infiniti and Lexus credit....they keep trying. They aren't there yet. But, maybe someday.......
    OK...
    So here's the "perfect build":
    German suspension & engine
    Japanese Electronics
    Italian or British Styling

Now, what do you think??
    Actually you can. But you hit it on the head. They don't want to be bothered. They want to sell what they can see, not see what they can sell. After all, the dealers are floor planning and they need to move merchandise that they have in stock. Why make a sale 3 months down the road when I can make a sale today? Let another dealer "waste their time" and special order a car
    The lexus site is somewhat misleading. The reason you type in your zipcode is so that the computer can search all EXSISTING (floor planned as well as in transit) allocated cars.
    Most packages are available in different combinations. Just because you can't "build it on the site" does NOT mean Lexus will not build it as a special order.
    MY 06 250 IS, 6 speed MT with Sports Pak is a PRIME example
    Consistently was told specific car was NOT being built or NOT available.
    Found a salesperson willing to go the extra step in customer satisfaction, checked with LEXUS NA to make sure car could be BUILT to specs, got LEXUS NA "OK" and had car built. It was a special order but we got it built.
    Dealers still think specific cars with specific packages cannot be built.
    It all boils down to 3 things:

Ignorance - not knowing what products are available

Laziness - I don't want to take the TIME to look, let the other dealer do the special order & waste their time.

Greed - I want the sale NOW, not later, NOW NOW NOW!!!

If you REALLY want a car built with specific options a specific way call the internet dept of LEXUS OF VALENCIA. He'll get it done 4 U
    OK...
    So here's the "perfect build":
    German suspension & engine
    Japanese Electronics
    Italian or British Styling

Now, what do you think??

Add Korean price…
    Not all of them, read Cars.com. Anyway, you failed to mention they all complained about the blandness of the 330i cabin with illogical and badly designed controls - I'm not even talking about the ridiculous iDrive here! How long did they test drive the two cars, a few hours or days? The verdict wouldn't be the same had they actually owned either car because for an everyday driver a lot of factors come into play over the course of ownership. Oh, I forgot those horrible run-flats that so many 3-Series owners have been complaining about, talking about aggravation and regrets! :P
    It doesn't really matter what "one" opinion is. In the court of public opinion the majority rules. You however, should spend your money the way you see fit.

I agree in some aspects the "courts" position, while the majority does not jive with reality. In other aspects, one off reviews like you describe are useless.
    Public opinion? Extremely glad I'm never a sheep follower! I'm wondering how many new 3 owners out there are still bitching about its run-flats and quirky controls, just some of the things one easily overlooks during a test drive. :P
    kd....absolutely true....people spend their money the way they see fit for what they consider the better product. They rule with their pocketbook. Lexus sells about 5K ISs a month.

BMW sells about 40K 3 Series a month.

BTW....I think the run flats on my 330i are quite nice. Good combo of ride quality and very good handling. I do think some of the early e90s had Bridgeston run flats. Mine are Continentals and I like them a lot.

Controls? I-Drive took me all of about 30 minutes to master with the owner's manual. Easy to use. Boots up much quicker than the unit in the IS and my previous Acura. Plus, I can use it while stopped at a red light as opposed to the Navi in the IS which won't let you use the controls at all when the car is in gear......stopped or not.
    30 minutes and with the manual? It took me just a few tries and no manual with the IS' navigation system! Looking at the Navi at a stop light?? Wondering how many times you got honked for that! :P
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    " Plus, I can use it while stopped at a red light as opposed to the Navi in the IS which won't let you use the controls at all when the car is in gear......stopped or not. "

I have to respectfully disagree with that statement about the IS Navi system. I've been using the IS Navigation system during my current trip 500 miles from home. You touch the Menu button and turn on the Guidance system and give it a voice command. I use the hands-free, voice controlled system to tell it where I want to go and the friendly voice tells me each turn to make. No, I don't have to stare at the screen at a red-light to input data. In my opinion that is unsafe. However, if you must, you CAN input data by touch screen when the car is stopped.

I have owned my IS250AWD for 3 months and find the Navi, Blue-tooth phone, and hands free system VERY user friendly.
    Yes, it has a lot of features and to get the most out of it you should READ THE MANUAL. Gee, that took me all of 1 hour to do.
    Let me rephrase...IF I'm looking at the NAV screen, I don't do it while moving. I use red lights, while stopped to do that...usually to see the cross streets around me and ahead. Why would someone honk at me..... :confuse: ...never had that happen.

Most of the time, I'm only using voice commands for names of streets for the Navi to find.

As far as reading the manual....I'm "geeky" like that. I want to know ALL the functions of the car from the "get-go". Truth told, before I even read the manual, and on the way home from picking my car up at the dealership, the first thing I did was use the voice command to enter my home address and store it. Press a button on the steering wheel, speak the command/address....voila....done.
    Whatever!
    :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • achonkoachonko Member Posts: 51
    I have always wondered what would have happened to all these talk about IS350 being better or worse than the 330i if it has an additional 3" of leg room at the back seat.
    I find it absoluetely annoying that is so cramped at the back- to me, that is just sad- what were they thinking....
    Or maybe they were so fixated in outdoing BMW that the decided the best way to keep the weight down was to truncate the back seat space.
    If the new 335i comes, I might as well trade in my IS and get the roomier and equally powered 335i
    Or maybe they were so fixated in outdoing BMW that the decided the best way to keep the weight down was to truncate the back seat space

FYI

This IS is 3527 lbs
    the 330i auto is 3450 lbs
    While I'm more than pleased with the performance on my 330i, that 335i should be a scorcher.

BMW seems to always one up themselves in the engine dept.....magnesium block, VANOS, etc.

I finally got my "break-in" miles out of the way. Took it to redline a couple of times. Man, does it sound sweet all the way through the rev range.

Don't know what they're saying here, but I think they really like the 335i coupe that's on it's way here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F69F9nT9Hg4&mode=related&search=

I plan on doing some of that sort of driving myself this weekend for a day trip in the Appalachians.
  • lexus_jnlexus_jn Member Posts: 102
    BMW sells 40K 3-series a month?

Last month BMW sold 8500+ 3-series. (~5000 IS for Lexus). The combination of ES/IS sales was 12,000+ (July reports)

3-series is still the most popular model (entry-luxury) while IS gets the highest score from both CR and JDP.
    I guess the people have voted with their wallets. BTW, what does the ES have to do with this?

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/07/08/014034.html

BMW delivered 175,000 3 series in the first half of the year. You can do the math.
  • louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    BMW delivered 175,000 3 series in the first half of the year. You can do the math.

That's world wide sales number, not US market.
    Ummm. I think Lexus/Toyota sells into the global market. Anyhoo, the 3 series is sold globally and that's the number and I'm sticking to it.
    That's fine by me but I think the previous poster's numbers are for US market only. You counter that with your number but You didn't say it's world-wide number so one would assume that's for US market as well unless click the link. That's deceptive and like comparing apples to oranges.
    Deceptive? That's rich :) I provided a link for back-up so anyone can go back to the source, rather than just posting a number that no one would believe anyway. :D

Maybe you're right about apples to oranges. What's the world-wide number for the sale of the IS250/350?
    Yeah, deceptive is probably too strong a world for it, gotta give you credit for listing the source.

I was trying to find the sales numbers for the IS but so far no luck.
    Very well said! As we should all know by now, a few of these BMW enthusiasts tend to brag about the qualities of the 3 Series that everybody already agrees on - driving dynamics, but stubbornly ignore anything negative pointed out by the same reviewers that praised the 3 but also by their fellow owners.
    Well, they brag because they think the driving dynamics is most important for them and they got it in their 3 series. I brag because I feel I got the most complete package in my IS (excellent balance of luxury and performance). It is okay to brag, however, sometimes a few enthusiasts think that driving dynamics is everything and they intended to bash on other cars that offer less in that area. That is something I have problem with.

It is great to have different opinion on cars and debate them...as long as it's in a respective and peaceful manor.
    4461 in June
    26946 YTD

These are US market numbers (including HW).

Here's the link: link title

PS. IS250 consists about 73% of the total IS sales. Looks like Lexus' market research was right on.
    My appologies...I was looking at sales figures from different sources and they weren't apples to apples.
    335i isn't a matter of "if", it's actually coming to the U.S.....in coupe form initially. Took my car for a free car wash at my dealership last night. My sales guy actually showed me the order sheets for the 335i for those who want to be the first on the block to get one. He's got 13 names on it so far.

Dealer is sponsoring a free "drive it the way it's meant to be driven" outing this weekend. Apparently, they're bringing in some BMW race drivers to lead and teach. We're going to be traveling through some beautiful countryside. I'll be opening mine up for the first time through the curvy roads and straightaways. It should be fun.
    "Very well said! As we should all know by now, a few of these BMW enthusiasts tend to brag about the qualities of the 3 Series that everybody already agrees on - driving dynamics,"

A few Lexus enthusiasts tend to do the same thing, brag about the qualties everybody already agrees on - reliability.
    A few Lexus enthusiasts tend to do the same thing, brag about the qualties everybody already agrees on - reliability.

First of all, I can't resist...I think "Lexus enthusiasts" is an oxymoron.

It is definitely okay to brag as long as it's without bashing the other car. I've never seen a Lexus bragger bashing a BMW however I've encounter numerous times that a Bimmer bragger calls the IS as POS.
This discussion has been closed.