Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Ford Super Duty

Comments

• scarab36scarab36 Member Posts: 10
    Got my 08 350 super duty diesel, crew cab long box lariat, in July. Throtle response from a stop was awesome. Breath on the peddle and the truck would "spring" forward with no turbo lag. Towing 10,000 lb trailer was incredible, trailer and 3,800 lb slide in camper, still wonderful. truck and camper alone, great throtle response. It's was a joy to drive.

At 7800 miles that bottom end throttle response went away, now I have a 3.5 second lag before anything happens. Went to the dealer, they report all the testing showed everything was just fine. I insisted it was not they called in a Factory Service Tech. He reports after testing my truck and a new one off the lot that it is just fine. (I couldn't be there the day he was there) Went to pick up the truck They tell me nothings wrong, I ask to drive the the "test" truck, it does the same thing as mine. If nothing is wrong now, why did it have such great performance before? What changed? Anyone have an idea?? I intend to keep pursueing ford, and test driving new trucks in hopes of finding one that drives like mine did.
  • bobm11bobm11 Member Posts: 2
    Hi: My wife and I are about to buy a slide on and we are having a hard time with the right vehicle to haul it with. I have always heard Dodge with the cummings was the best. I dont know about the new Ford 350/450 because all I read about is TROUBLE with the engine. I dont know that much about the Duramax. The camper we will be placing in the truck bed is about 5200-5400lbs when everything is said and done. My question is; will a 350/3500 be enough truock for us? We plan to go out for about 2-3 months at a time, come home for about 2 months and go out again for 2-3 months and continue that cycle. Any help would be appreaciated. Thanks Bob M
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    The only truck that even comes close to handling a 5,000 slider is the F-450. Are you sure your numbers are correct?

Ford 2008 Towing Guide

Mark
  • snowbird1938snowbird1938 Member Posts: 3
    How do I get the door panel off of the rear door of the crew cab? Special fork tool or screw driver to pry or ??
  • bigcountry1bigcountry1 Member Posts: 2
    I just made a 60k mistake, I have had my 2008 F450 for three months now, almost 3k miles. I was towing my 40 foot toy hauler with my 2006 F250 6.0L and wanted to upgrade for safety and some more power for climbing those hills when going on trips. Let me say I love everything about my new F450 BUT the fuel mileage. I have this nice brand new truck that I paid a lot of money for and I hate to drive anywhere now because the cost in fuel. I normally would not hesitate to jump on the gas with my F250, but now with my F450, I find myself driving like my mother. This truck has doubled my fuel cost a month. Here are my mpg findings. I live in a rural area, not much city driving and the best I have gotten with no load and my foot off the pedal is 9.1 mpg. Towing my trailer at a max speed of 65mph the best I get is 7.3 mpg. I have 4:88 gears and at 65mph I'm turning 2400-2500 rpm's. I wish I still had my 2006 F250!!!!
  • bigcountry1bigcountry1 Member Posts: 2
    Bull S### I baby my 2008 F450 w/ 4:88 gears and only get 8mpg. My 1997 F350 4:10 gears 7.3L provided 18 to 19 mpg, 2006 F350 4:10 gears 6.0L provided about the same. 2008 7-8 mpg with no load. Please Ford, I'm a loyal customer but what the H##l. Note: In 1997 I was paying .96 per gal. for fuel. 2007 3.29 per gal for fuel. Anyone want to Buy a fully loaded 2008 F450, because I'll be selling mine!!!!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Since the tires are close to the same diameter between your 2006 and 2008, the difference is the axle ratio. The 4.88 axle raises your rpm 19% over the 4.10... what was previously a 2000 rpm tach reading is now nearly 2400. So now, the rpm and turbo boost are up, which will cost you fuel economy.

And diesel fuel usage increases dramatically as the rpms increase. With my 2005 Cummins, I can easily get 22 mpg in my Ram 3500 4x4 dually at 55 mph/1550 rpm - at 70 mph/2000 rpm, I'm down to just 17 mpg.

The F450 also has a weight penalty with the heavier frame and suspension components. More need to keep the boost up to get all that iron moving.

kcram - Pickups Host
    A F-450 4x4, weights 8600+ pounds,
    A 2003 F-350 4x4 DRW weighed around 6900 pounds.

Yes thats about 20% difference.

Mark.
  • awayfromdinoilawayfromdinoil Member Posts: 1
    TRY CHANGING FUEL& AIR FILTER FIRST NO LOW END POWER ON PLUG FILTERS.ORE THE LOW END TUBO IS SHOT.SAME PROBLEM ON 06. #2 ADD AMSOIL DIESEL CONCENTRATE ADF-CN THIS WILL CLEAN THE TOP END. THIS WILL TAKE ABOUT 2 WEEKS TO SEE THE DIFF.#3 THEN ADD 4/40W AMSOIL DIESEL MOTOR OIL DEO-1G + THERE FILTER A MUST.THE DRAIN INTRIVELS ARE WAY HIGHER THAN 15K.I HAVE DONE THIS FROM 1997 FORDS AND UP.MILAGE WILL GO UP BY 1.5
  • dbweaverdbweaver Member Posts: 88
    I now have 4516 miles on my 08 f250. I just made a 750 mile trip hauling a 2800lb load of tar and towing a 3500lb Crafco melter. I averaged 10.1mpg. The truck computer is showing 14.
    I would really like to know where the 350hp and 650lb of torque went. My 1999 7.3 liter f250 with the same gear,and same load will eat this thing alive and still get 15mpg. This is real world highway driving,75 to 80mph.
    Could anyone tell me what happened to all the power this 6.4 is supposed to have? Thanks
  • bfordtoughbfordtough Member Posts: 1
    I was interested in buying a Super Duty with the 6.4L Diesel, but I have been very nervous about there fuel mileage, I had read in a magazine they tested one and got 18 mpg, and 15 in the city....My friends 6.0L gets 17mpg, and his Cummins gets goods mileage...I was wondering if anyone had some mpg ratings for the 6.4L if there terrible, ill just purchase the 5.4L king ranch F-150. but i guess you can always put a chip in it, or a air filter and exhaust on the diesel and help your mileage
  • buyer2008buyer2008 Member Posts: 9
    I have just over 4100 miles (about 3/4 of that is highway mileage)on my 2008 F-250 6.4L Lariat CC. I have the 3.73 axle. I have the optional 20" wheels/tires. I put an Access tonneau cover on the short bed. I rarely exceed 2,000 RPM. I rarely exceed 70 MPH on the highway (Have heard that over 70 MPG drops significantly). I have verified my mileage by hand, and continually monitor the dash meter as well (they are pretty close). I have yet to tow my trailer with the truck. I am getting 16.2 MPG on the highway, and 13.2 around town (My around town mileage is extremely short trips...many less then 2 miles. Highway MPG has been increasing with increased mileage on the truck (current range is close to 500 miles per tank of fuel). Around town seems to remain pretty constant.
    Do not chip, exhust, or do other MODS to this engine.

People are complaining about the 6.4L's fuel economy because they are letting their EGO instead of their NEEDS determine how big a truck they buy. Even if you get great milage from your 6.4L the diesel still costs 6k extra which you will never see again unless you keep the truck forever and put over 18k per year on it.

Mark.
  • fordguy7fordguy7 Member Posts: 9
    I have seen you in other entries have very strong opinions about people buying the diesel when they don't have to, and I agree with you.

However, I cannot seem to get any mileage info on the Ford F-250 Crew 7.3L V-10 gas w/4.10 axle. The loads I pull struggle with the 5.4L V-8 gas w/4.10 axle, which I have now. I like the idea of the V-10's price, quieter sound, fuel type, and power potential, but 10 cylinder mileage scares me because I keep trucks a long time. I've heard rumor the V-10 mileage is not sub-10 mpg and close to the V-8 gas mileage because it does not have to work as hard to move that big mass, but that may be a rumor only. Do you have any opinions on this or mileage data on V-10?

Thanks in advance!
    A sales person at my dealership says he gets 16mpg on his 6.8L V10.

Mark
  • mholmes1mholmes1 Member Posts: 2
    Look out boys and girls. Their all going to have converters as big as trash cans, like the 2008 ford. Have heard you can modify the converter, will find out more in the future. Hey, took mine to ford dealer said what you got is what you get. They don't give a *%*@ after you buy it.
  • devildog88devildog88 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 6.4 lariate F-250, short bed, 4X4, 20" wheels, 3.73 gear and fully loaded! I understand everyones concerns about whether or not to go diesel or gas, but I can tell you first hand "This truck is the real deal". The fuel economy changes from fair to great depending on how I drive that day, or by how much I may be towing but with that aside I can tell you this new 2008 makes the dodge, chevy, toyota, and nissan look like %&#*! All of my friends drive the other make trucks and I've driven them all and the only one that even compares motor wise is my buddy with the new 2007 6.7 liter dodge (makes great power), but the comparison stops at the engine becouse the rest of the truck is crap! And lets be honest with each other, when you spend $50,000 on a vehicle yeah the milage is important but definately not a deal breaker! I had a 2003 before this and the difference is night and day! I dont think I'll do any performance upgrades simply because Ford has smartened up a bit and realized people were doing all these mods and teraing the vehicles up prematurly. I'm from Florida and drive about 150 miles a day for work and I pull my 5000lb farm tractor back and fourth to my hunting land in GA and every once in a while I'll get into some deep clay trying to navigate through the property and I'll put it 4 wheel high and the truck doesnt breathe hard with clay up to the bumper. I have pics of me pulling out another guy in his new Toyota tundra that he swore by just thirty minutes before getting pulled out by my 2008...
    This truck has several new upgrades from the previous years and I can a lot more pros than cons not to mention pulling up to the light and having all the other truck owners (dodge, chevy, toyota) checking your truck out....
    They know the deal!!!

Mike
  • fordtoys99fordtoys99 Member Posts: 6
    i have a 99 f350 w/ the 6.8l v10 it has 173,000 miles on it . i avg 12-13 normal and 17 on highway still. run full synthetic oil and keep up on maint, it will run forever
    How do you get that kind of MPG. I have a 2008 F-250 V-10 and it get's 12 MPG ?
    This is what I was trying to find out about the 2008 V-10 mileage. Is the 12 mpg highway or local? If highway, what is your local mileage?
    Well, I just drove 1200 miles with a 12,500 lb 5th wheel and the truck gets 8 MPG. Unloaded it gets 12-12.5 MPG.
    Presently the truck has 4500 miles on it. MPG so far is not good.
  • firecapnfirecapn Member Posts: 12
    I own a 2005 F250 4X4 ext. cab SB with the V-10 and 4:10 rear axle. Around town, some highway, some city streets I get around 12-13 mpg. I tow a 12500 lbs Fifth Wheel travel trailer. If I keep the speed around 55-60 mph I average about 8 mpg. It does haul the mail. By the way I have 52500 miles on it. The mileage hasn't changed since I passed 2500 miles.
    This seems to confirm what I have heard is true.....that the 6.8L V-10 gas mileage is actually equal to or better than the 5.4L V-8 with all else equal. It seemed hard to believe, but the reason I've heard is the V-10 doesn't have to work as hard running at higher RPM's to simply move that mass down the road. I have the F-250 4 x 4 crew cab 5.4L V-8 w/ 4:10 axle, and I get around 11 mpg around town with some highway mixed in, about 7 mpg when towing an 8000# trailer.

It's starting to crystallize my buying decision on a new 2008 F-250: 1) I need more power than V-8 gas can give. 2) Diesel has the power, but don't like diesel or the $6,800 upgrade price. Also been hearing mileage is disappointing with new engine. 3) V-10 gas is powerful, quiet, and only a $600 upgrade, and now my sub-10 mpg mileage fears seem to be a non-issue. I only wish I knew why more people don't go for the V-10 and go with diesel instead. Do they know something I don't, is it an ego thing, or is my thinking more logical than the people who buy the diesel but don't need that extra pulling power?
  • diehardforddiehardford Member Posts: 50
    Thought I would provide my mileage results . I have the F250 crew cab 6.4 diesel 3:73 rear axle 4x4 lariat loaded sun roof nav system the works. Bought truck may 31 2007 and 1 week later hooked up 9 thousand lb trailer and headed to outer banks N.C. 430 mile trip. Driving 65 to 70 mph truck averaged 9.3 mp gallon. this was filling tank till I could see fuel in spout divided by miles driven. slowing to 60 mph gave me 10.5 miles per gallon. This compares to my old truck 2001 F 150 5.4 3.55 gear super crew 4x4 same trip same camper same roads 60 mph gave 7.0 miles per gallon. Solo driving posted 45 to 55 zones at beach best tank was 17.8 miles per gallon again filling to I could see fuel in spout divided by miles driving. this was equal to old F 150. In day to day driving to and from work I get 14 mpg compared to 14.5 in old truck. Just got back from trip to blue ridge parkway. From Rock Hill S.C. to I-85 to I-26 to parkway to Brevard N.C. driving posted limits truck got 17.5 miles per gallon. Leaving Brevard going back to parkway pulling elevations up to 6000 ft toward cherokee making lots of stops on parkway and letting truck idle while taking pictures stopping in cherokee interstate back home truck got 15 miles per gallon. Love this truck. It has awesome power gets equal to or better ecomony than old F-150 which was a much lighter and less capable vehicle. Truck now has about 10,000 miles on it . I hope this helps with some of you in making your buying decision.
    That just about does it for me. I had been trying to decide on a new truck/tow vehicle for my fifth wheel travel trailer and the 6.4 power is the answer for me. We travel from April to November putting on about 10,000 miles extra per year, sometimes more. Glad to hear about the success you have had. My 6.8 V-10 does a great job, but 7-8 mpg under load at best and the amount of miles I put on my truck per year I think diesel is the answer for me.
    DO NOT buy the diesel for fuel enconomy reasons, you will be very disappointed. I suggest you only buy the diesel if your needs leave you with no other choice.

The diesel is about a $900 dollar upgrade. You can buy a lot of gas for the $6,000 you save on the V10 vs. the Diesel.

You'll also save on oil changes with the gas.

Mark
    Glad my info was able to help with your decision. What is good for you or I may not be the best decision for someone else. Another thing to consider is how long you may plan on keeping a vehicle and the trade in or resale value at that time.A five year old diesel f-250 is worth 3500 dollars more than a comparable v-10 f-250 trade in value. For me the extra power and torque of the diesel when pulling my camper is worth more than trying to justify the extra cost of the diesel. Again I am very happy with my truck. Last night I filled up the tank and fuel was 3.25 per gallon. Even with that my wife's car gets about 6 more miles to gallon than my truck but we will park the car and take the truck, thats how much I like this truck.
    I now have 5200 miles on my F250, I got 15.9 mpg out of my last tank of fuel. I also fill the tank to the rim every time I fill up.
    On one of my eariler trips in truck at about 5000 miles interstate at 65 to 70 truck got 16.0 per gallon. This last trip to mtns some of same interstate same speeds got 17.5 with 10000 miles. mileage is improving. Planning trip to beach this weekend will post mileage when I get back.
  • mxpcnmxpcn Member Posts: 1
    I have a F250 08 6.4l and haven't gotten it over 12.2. Just turned 5k on it with about 1,500 miles towing 4,000. I heard there were some tech bulletins out about a cam shaft sensor? several times i have been in park and the tach hits about 1,500 hundred RPM's with no way to knock it down.. Also anyone put a chip or banks kit in these trucks? does it help the mpg??
  • fordz1fordz1 Member Posts: 24
    I have an 08 6.4L F350 Crew Cab DRW LB, and the other day had white smoke come out of the exhaust. I had just taken off from a red light, the engine revved higher than normal, and white smoke came out of the exhaust. It lasted about 10-15 seconds and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I know it does a self cleaning cycle but I couldn't find any info on that process.
    Other than this one problem the truck has run great during the 2600 miles of ownership, and average 13.5mpg of mixed driving which I expect to improve. Service Department recommended that I bring it in. I will post what they find.
    My truck also has done this several times. I be leave this is when it goes into a cleaning cycle for the exhaust particulate filter. I don't know anyone who has put a chip on the 6.4 but several who have on the 6.0 and claimed a 3 to 4 mpg improvement. I don't want to take any chance of voiding my warnity so I'm leaving mine stock.
    I hope it's just the cleaning cycle and nothing else. Mine will stay stock as well.
    There is plenty of info about this in the Diesel Owners supplemental guide.
    My truck has went through the cleaning cycle one time that I know of in 5200 miles. I run my truck hard most of the time. I had a 2003 F550 with the 6.0 that had injector problems constantly.The mechanic at the dealership told me that I didn't run it hard enough.He told me to wind it out when I take off and make it pull hard on a long hill every chance I got to keep the exhaust ''burnt out''. I never had anymore injector problems. I suppose this is part of the reason for the cleaning cycle on the 2008
    Picked my truck up today, and everything is functioning properly. I also got a copy of TSB 07-4-11 6.4L Diesel Regeneration Functional Characteristics.
    While I haven't had any injector problems with my trucks my wife's car is the pits for injector problems. I found that SEA FOAM injector cleaner from advance auto stores works great in curing injector problems. works much better than gunk and stp but more expensive about 6.50 per can. Can says safe for diesel and gas engines. I put a can about once a month in wifes car and every couple thousand miles in truck. This has cured my injector problems.
  • scarab36scarab36 Member Posts: 10
    08 f350, 6.4, 3.73,srw, lb. Truck has gone into regen several times in the morning my brother ran to shut it off, he thought it was going to throw a rod. Sounded awful. Now my #5 cyl is showing a problem. Mechanic says it appears to be the injector. on 1,600 mile trip pulling 11,150 lb trailer I got between 7.8 and 8.9 mpg. Truck and trailer gross wt. was 22,250. They still haven't been able to explain what happened to the immediate power from idle stop, I have about a 3.5 second lag that it developed at 7,900 miles. Before that the power was instant. Factory tech said nothing is wrong. bull I say
  • don123don123 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 f350 lar 4x4 and it has 5000 miles on it and 4 different times it has had blue smoke come out of the muffler for 2 to 3 sec and it makes funny noises and no power when it happens. I'm triing to find out why and what is wrong. thanx. Don123.......
    I had mine in the shop last week for the same reason, and was told it is in the regeneration mode when this happens. Ask your dealer for a copy of TSB 07-4-11 which has the operating characteristics of the regeneration function.
    Just got back from beach trip , 1/3 interstate some dual lane 2/3 towns and driving around grand strand got 16.75. return trip home no interstate driving through florence and darrington got 17.0 this was driving 55 to 60 posted limits. this was pretty good considering all the stop and go through towns.
    Last year had a 46 gallon fuel tank installed in my 2005 F250, V-10, to replace the 29 gallon OEM. Since I changed jobs and work closer to home, my freeway driving deminished. I just filled up after three weeks since the change my mileage dropped to 11.3 mpg from about 13 plus before. With the larger tank, I did manage to avoid the $3.15 per gallon upswing in fuel price two weeks ago. With the larger tank and towing my fifth wheel I can go about 300 to 325 miles between fill-ups.
  • ve1drgve1drg Member Posts: 5
    Took 6 weeks to get mine. And it is a REAL nice vehicle. I got the Lariat with all the options. And the diesel of course.
    I now have about a 1000 miles on it and it is getting close to 18 miles per gallon on the highway. but normally I see about 14 which is a bit of hwy and city etc etc..
    Seems to have improved as I put more miles on it.

I am happy with the purchse and feel it will serve my trailer towing needs..

:)
  • cmyoungcmyoung Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 F250 SD, V-10, 5sp, 4x4, 84,000 miles. Bought it 2 months ago, have put 10,000 miles. Took a long road trip, 2000+ miles , no load. The transmission broke at the tailshaft housing just in front of the transfer case. Before it went, I thought I had a u joint binding, but that's not what broke. The truck has had light use, good maintainance. Any ideas on what could have cause the problem?
  • desmo1desmo1 Member Posts: 26
    I have read all of these messages with great interest.
    I recently had the opportunity to sit in an '08 Lariat Crew Cab and I fell IN LOVE! I own an '04 F-250 Crew Cab 6.0 4X4 Lariat LB with the 3.73. I have installed the FULL BANKS package. I love the truck. I get at best 17mpg on the hwy, figured with pencil ad paper and yes the mileage display is optomistic. I use the truck to carry my Ducati racing motorcycle to the race track and pleasure trips but only to destinations with adequate parking!
    I must admit that I drive the thing like it's a Mustang GT. Fully loaded with all of my racing equipment and the Duck (about only 1500lbs) on a steep grade like the Cajon Pass I love to pull up along side a Tahoe or Escalade and just pull away form them with little effort. That is until the 98 mph speed limiter kicks in.But it probably is not a good idea to go any faster with that much mass. Yes I believe that the debacle with Bridgestone/Firestone and Explorers brought on the need to put on a speed limiter.
    After reading the comments here, I think I will wait a few years bofore I get a 6.4. My truck with the Banks probably gets as much power as the 6.4, but If I get a 6.4 I will leave it stock. I have 33k mi on the truck so I am still within warranty and I am a little nervous about what I will do if I have a mayor warranty issue. I have had good service from my 6.0 with only a few minor problems at first, but I really love the 2008 Lariant interior. It is so upscale looking. Kinda like a Lincoln MarkLT except with much more thrust.
  • jimsearayjimsearay Member Posts: 2
  • ve1drgve1drg Member Posts: 5
    Nice to see you like the 2008 F-260 6.4 truck. I have one (new) and it really is better than what I had thought. I had all kinds of bad visions / ideas/ thoughts about this F-250 but after pulling my 14000 lb trailer 2400 miles I changed my thinking. First of all - it pulled like a dream. Absolutely no hesitation or problems of any kind - AND the mileage was up close to 12 miles per gallon while pulling this trailer.

The bottom line - this is a VERY nice vehicle and with the lariat model with leather captain chairs etc.... it is very comfortable to drive.

Good vehicle all around right now.'

:)
  • jimsearayjimsearay Member Posts: 2
    Engine racing, white smoke, Now the thing started rolling backwards while parked on a slight incline. It was in park the emergency brake set engine off & keys in the garage door. I was at the dealership an hour before this happened with the service engine light on. The truck is a 350,srw,4+4, with 2193 miles on it. Has anyone else had these problems.
    I have a '08 F250 with 8000 miles and I've noticed it blowing blue smoke twice now.
    It smoked so much you couldn't even see the traffic behind me!!! It stopped after about a half a mile. Didn't make any funny noise or lose any power though. Did you ever find out anything about yours?
    This is clearly the regeneration mode. You should read your owner's manual, the diesel supplement espeically.

The first few regens may produce more smoke then when the vehicle is broken in due to the manufacturering "grease" on all the parts burning off.

Mark