Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Ford Super Duty

Comments

• 123gone123gone Member Posts: 1
    How about a bit of advise or call it "help" about buying a new F-350. I live in the Houston area, yup its really flat, highest hills are the freeway interchanges at the beltway. I do pull a 9000lb trailer four maybe five times a year. I am trying to get some insight about the diesel vrs the V-10. I have an '06 SuperCab 6.0 which I have been very well pleased, 17-17.4 mpg empty, 9.5-11.0 pulling trailer. I now need the Crew Cab. Should I opt for the 6.4 diesel with its reported 12.-14 mpg, or should I opt for the V-10 gasoline? What can anyone tell me about the V-10 fuel consumption and power? Thanks in advance
  • firecapnfirecapn Member Posts: 12
    I've owned a 2005 F-250 ext cab 4X4 shortbed for almost three years. I have towed over 20,000 miles hauling 12,500 pound fifth wheel. I have averaged approximately 7-8 miles per gallon in all climates and elevations. Under no tow I average about 13 mpg on the highway and about 10 mpg city driving, combined about 11-12 mpg. I do have a 4:10 rear axle and the five speed auto transmission. Hope this answers your question.
  • buyer2008buyer2008 Member Posts: 9
    Not sure about the V-10 mileage, but at this point in Louisiana and across I-10 it seems that unleaded gas is running about 60 cents per gallon cheaper than diesel. When I ordered my 2008 F-250 Lariat Crew Cab Diesel, diesel was 30 cents per gallon cheaper than unleaded. If diesel prices ever drop below unleaded again, I will be a truly happy camper! I have the 20" tires, and 3.73 axle.

I have just returned from a road trip to Florida and have about 5,200 miles on the diesel so it is still not broken in yet. I monitored fuel consumption on the Interstate, and again when driving around Pensacola, FL in stop and go traffic. I averaged 18.7 on the Interstate (at one stretch 19.3), and about 13.5 in town with stop and go traffic. I was not pulling anything.

I do not drive over 70MPH, and rarely exceed 2,000RPM. Interstate mileage is better at 65 MPH. I love the truck and I am adjusting to the MPG (from driving an F-150). Actually, for a big honkin truck like this, I am getting pretty good mileage, and I believe it will continue to get better with increased miles.
  • firecapnfirecapn Member Posts: 12
    The only reason for the increase in diesel fuel price is is direct competition at the refineries for home heating oil. The price for motor fuel diesel increases during the winter months and will drop around March. I guess that is the trade-off for mpg. As one of the people who posted some time back, you have to justify the expense of purchase and fuel price in your own mind. I feel that my next truck will be a diesel because of how many miles I tow my fifth wheel trailer (12,500 plus pounds) and the need for a longer lasting engine and fuel economy. You can't break even till with a gas engine for at least 80,000 miles. Something to think about.
  • mule4mule4 Member Posts: 36
    I sold my dodge diesel in may of 2004. Bought a gas burner within 3 months the diesel was higher than 87 oct gas it has been higher every since except for a very short time.It is . $0.40 higher than gas here in AR. I think its because diesel has to be produced different now.Good luck in finding cheaper fuel.
  • loren2loren2 Member Posts: 9
    Please send me any information you have on this ! MY Ford 6.4 just quit on the freeway after blowing white smoke !! The dealer I took my truck to (AC Collins Ford) is testing my fuel saying it smells funny and amber in color ! I have NEVER put Bio-Diesel in my truck! And now Ford is trying to find fault with me !!! I do know the have a new TSB7-26-2 that deals with the high pressure fuel pump. Any info is appeciated !
    Please send me any information you have on this ! MY Ford 6.4 just quit on the freeway after blowing white smoke !! The dealer I took my truck to (AC Collins Ford) is testing my fuel saying it smells funny and amber in color ! I have NEVER put Bio-Diesel in my truck! And now Ford is trying to find fault with me !!! I do know the have a new TSB7-26-2 that deals with the high pressure fuel pump. Any info is appeciated !
    I can tell you this ! MY Ford 6.4 just quit on the freeway after blowing white smoke !! The dealer I took my truck to (AC Collins Ford) is testing my fuel saying it smells funny and amber in color ! I have NEVER put Bio-Diesel in my truck! And now Ford is trying to find fault with me !!! I do know the have a new TSB7-26-2 that deals with the high pressure fuel pump. If Anyone has info on this subjuct please respond !
    Regarding stopping on the freeway: I had a strange incident occur when I had about 600 miles on the truck. I was driving on the Interstate at about 67MPH on cruise control. Hit a pothole near a bridge overpass and the engine suddenly raced, all lights on the dash came on, and the engine shut off. I did not see any smoke. I coasted to a stop and waited a few minutes. Fired the truck up again without incident and have not had any problems since then and now have approx 5,600 miles on the truck. I mentioned the incident to my Ford dealer service rep and he did not have a clue as to what might have caused it. Perhaps a jolt to the fuel pump when I hit the pothole??? Very strange.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    V-10 is probably 5 to 8 in the city and up to 12 to 14 on the highway.

Just remember, the Diesel costs $5k more than the V-10. You can buy lots of gas for $5,000.

Mark.
    thanks...they are acusing me of using Bio-Diesel. I could not even tell you where to buy Bio-Diesel !
    I can't even spale Buy Oh Deezul. :)
  • diehardforddiehardford Member Posts: 50
    You might want to take a gas can to the last place you got fuel and fill it up and have it tested. Its possible that the wrong fuel was put in the service station tank. This might give you some recorse against the service station if you indeed have bio in your tank. also take a picture of the ultra low sticker on the pump. Per owners manual you can run a 5 percent mixture of bio
  • dbweaverdbweaver Member Posts: 88
    I have 9500 miles on my '08 F250 deisel. My owners manual doesn't say anything about smoke during regeneration. I have read it before but I read it again to make sure before I wrote something I knew nothing about. I didn't think it was ever supposed to smoke. (Clean deisel technology.)
  • bkuepaintbkuepaint Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2008 Ford F250and it has 4000 miles on it. I did lift the truck with a Fabtech 6" lift and I did put 22" rims and 37" tires on it. But I have had the truck at the dealer 4 times already. The first time I took it in for the tire sensors. It would tell me that I had an faulty sensor and the truck stalled on me, when they check the codes they told me there werent any. Then I took it in for the 2nd time and they said they would reprogram the computer for the new tires and PSI. Still same problem. The 3rd time it was for the check engine light. They told me the same thing. No codes. Now this time I was driving and I noticed my Rpm were running kinda high then I hit the gas pedal to merge on the freeway and then I saw a big white cloud come out of the exhaust pipes. Within 30 miles my check engine light was on
    You should have gotten a Maintenance DVD, Owner's Guide, and Diesel Supplement.

The Diesel Supplement is as thick as the owner's guide.

Also in April there was a TSB that may be relevant:

TSB
    07-8-9 6.4L DIESEL ENGINE - LACKS POWER, LEAKS FLUID FROM EXHAUST PIPE, ABNORMAL TAILPIPE SEDIMENT, WHITE SMOKE, EXHAUST SMELL, AND MIL ON

This TSB is long and complicated and pretty much describes things that someone wouldn't be able to diagnose on their own unless they were experts.

Mark
  • jessiejamesjessiejames Member Posts: 1
    Anyone knows how to temporarily disable the odometer on a 2008 F250 Super Duty with a 5.4 litre engine?

Excess mileage on a rental is a killer!!!
  • lonewolf3lonewolf3 Member Posts: 7
    I'm getting ready to order a 2008 250 crew cab, the gasoline v-8 will do what i need for hauling, can someone give me some feed back on fuel mileage for the 5.4 liter gas engine with a 3.73 rear end verses the 4.10 rear end???? I've driven a truck with the 3.73 rear end, drove good, but a little sluggish, i was wondering if the 4.10 would give me a little better acceleration, but i'd like to keep somewhat decent gas mileage!! Anybody have similiar trucks, and what would you suggest?? What kind of gas mileage are you getting on each set up??? Thanks.
  • fordtoys99fordtoys99 Member Posts: 6
    DONT GET THE 5.4L GET THE V10 6.8L ITS ACTUALLY BETTER MILEAGE THAN THE 5.4L AND HAS MORE TOURQE AND POWER ITS TO HEAVY OF A TRUCK FOR 5.4 WHEN HAULING OR IN GENERAL
    ALSO GET THE 3.73 DIFF NOT THE 4.10 MILEAGE SHOULD BE 12 -13 CITY 17-18 HIGHWAY AT LEAST THATS WHAT I GET
    Thanks fordtoys99:

i checked the book and a 3.73 rear end on the v-10 is no longer an option on the 2008, you must get the 4.10 rear???? I'm guessing yours has the 3.73?? What model year is yours, a 99?

Thats why i was wondering if anyone had any experience with the 5.4 liter v-8 with a 4.10, to see how it accelerated, and what kind of mileage they get??? (250 Crew Cab 4-wheel drive specifically)??

Anyone else have a 5.4 w/ a 4.10 rear, whats been your experience???

tks.
    It sounds like the V-10 gets much better mpg than the new deisel. I have had my truck for 4 months and have 10,000 miles on it. I get around 13mpg most of the time. The best tankful was 15.9 and the worst was 8.75. I don't expect it to get any better. I love my truck though, big truck power that rides and drives like a luxury sedan.
  • simplicitersimpliciter Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone had any experience (ordered? received? driven demos?) with the “Monobeam Wide Track Front Suspension with Extended Axle” option on an F-350 or F-250 (the F-450’s front axle, I take it)?

I would be glad to hear about how much it affects handling, etc. (I like the sharper turning radius and perhaps extra strength.)

Thanks
    yes i do have a 99 f350 4x4 extended cab shortbox weighs 6925lbs , i also have 176,238 miles on it no overhauls just general mantaince and still runs strong, and that does suck that they dont have 3.73s anymore . the v10 is still better on mileage regaurdless every one ive talked to w/ the 5.4L has only gotten 9-11 miles and not enough pulling power especially larger trailers and hills
    What kind of fuel mileage are you getting on your v-8 with a 4.10, and is it a crew cab with 4 wheel drive???
  • diehardforddiehardford Member Posts: 50
    Defivently avoid a 5.4 in an f 250; not enough power. At work we have 2 2004 f250 crew cab 4x4 with the 5.4 not sure witch axle. these trucks are only driven around the plant site and hardly ever see faster than 25 to 30 mph. they average about 9 mpg. My old truck was a 2001 f150 super crew 4x4 with the 5.4 and 355 gear. I got about 12 around town 14 to 15 back and forth to work and 18 highway. hauling a 6000 lb camper it got 9 to 10 mpg and maintain 60 to 65 with no problem. How ever when I went to a 9000 lb camper I was lucky to be doing 45mph up any moderate grade. The new f250 weighs about 1500 more lbs than my old f150. If your hauling needs are less than 6000 lbs a f150 5.4 with 373 gears may be a good alternative. Any thing more f250 with v10 or diesel
    Thank you diehard ford,

I could probably get by with 150 with my hauling needs, but 2 things: 1) i love the size and look of a 250, and 2) i can buy a 250 for about $1000 more than what a 150 cost with the guy i'm dealing with -- so i don't know - i'm just trying to get a good idea on what the fuel mileage will be on the 5.4, and i figure the 4.10 rear would probably accelerate and haul better, and most of my traveling is highway miles.
    Anyone telling you how to do this would be committing a crime and you would be committing one also. Good Luck finding a volunteer for that.
  • fordguy7fordguy7 Member Posts: 9
    My 2000 F-250 4 x 4 Crew shortbed has a 5.4 liter w/4.10 axle. Since day one have gotten 11 mpg city, 14 pmg highway and only 7 mpg towing 8000# trailer. My trailer pushes the limits of the 5.4. Next time I'm opting for V-10. Has been explained to me that mileage is not that much different since 5.4 has to rev higher and work harder than the V-10 to simply move that mass down the road.
    If you tow regularly, you should buy a truck with towing capacity 15% greater than your average load.

In other words, you will get longer life if you do not exceed 85% of the GCWR on a regular basis.

IMHO you should not buy the diesel unless: 1. You need the power of the diesel to pull your load, or 2. You will be driving over 20,000 miles per year.

As I previously stated, the 6.4 Power Stroke costs about 5k more than the V-10. You can buy lots of gas for $5,000.

Yes the diesel has a higher resale value, but this just means you don't loose that additional $5,000 when you go in to trade.

Mark.
    Thanks for the info!!
    Any body have a 4 x 4 crew cab with 3.73 rear, and whats are you getting on fuel mileage?????
    Drop over to www.fleet.ford.com and take a look at the tow guide.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/default.asp

Then see my post, #184.

Mark
    Anyone know when the 2009 Super Duty will be announced? for sale?

And any info/ideas on what (if anything) will be changed? (other than hopes, like a 6-speed automatic)

(I'd like to get one by, say, Sept 08)

Thanks
  • ibinsanediegoibinsanediego Member Posts: 3
    What is your opinon on hauling a camper in regards to the DRW which are 17" and a 5000lb payload verses the SRW with 18/20" wheels with a payload of 3700lbs. To carry a camper with SRW they recommend air bladders/re shocking. But isn't the payload also determined by the tire load? So are there 18/20" tires that have a higher tire load to handle 5000lb on this truck?
    visit www.fleet.ford.com and check out the towing guide.

For added margin, the weight you tow should be no more than about 85% of the trucks tow rating. (divide the weight you want to tow by .85)

Mark.
    Would a Superchips Flashpaq power programmer void my warranty on my '08 F250 6.4 liter Powerstroke? I am hoping for a few more miles per gallon. I am also considering a cold air intake system.
    Thanks, David
  • scarab36scarab36 Member Posts: 10
    I believe any chip will void your warranty. Ford has built in a tattle tail system that will alert mechanics diagnostics, that there has been an aftermarket chip in the system. Even if you remove it before going to the dealer, it will rat you out.

I had an engine light and there is a piece in the throttle body that indicates it had at one time been stuck. When new the truck had awesome throttle response from dead stop, at 7,800 miles that suddenly went away. Dealer said there was nothing wrong. Now at 17,000 miles there seems to be something wrong. What ever they did last week, (no new parts) my mileage computer jumped from 12.2 which is what it;s been reading forever, it jumped to 13. I'd like to see it improve more. Have to take it in this pm to get new part in throttle body. We'll See.
    Can anyone tell me the overall width -- from oustide of outer tire to outside of outer tire (say, for standard A/S or A/T tires) of an F-350 DRW? Can't seem to find it online.

Thanks
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    It's 96 inches at the fender lip, so factory tire width is approximately 95.

kcram - Pickups Host
    Thanks. Much appreciated.
  • albrightalbright Member Posts: 4
    I HAVE A 08 F350 DULLY MY TRUCK DID THE SAME THING. MY DEAL REPLACED THE FUEL PUMP. MY MPG SUCKS I"M GETTING 10.4 AROUND AND 9.8 HWY. I HAVE THE 4.10 REAR END.
  • fordz1fordz1 Member Posts: 24
    I also have a 08 F350 C/C, LB, 4.10 rear end, and my hwy mpg has recently dropped from 17.5 to 14. Towing 5th wheel it's around 8-10 mpg, and that hasn't changed.
    Winer Diesel will give you lower gas milage than summer diesel
  • optprimeoptprime Member Posts: 1
    With what seems to be the topic of discussion ( MPG ) I have 2008 F-250 crewcab, 3.73 rear axle 4x4 and 4000 miles. Im getting 12 mpg mostly highway driving. Any ideas as to how I can get better?
  • bassassassinbassassassin Member Posts: 7
    i just bought a 2004 F250 6.0 i was wondering if there are any websites that could tell me the specs of my truck i.e. rear end torque rating HP anything. all help is appreciated
  • scarab36scarab36 Member Posts: 10
    my 08 f-350 crew 3:73 auto SRW 12.2 -12.4 mpg. This is at almost 18,000 miles. Dealer has no answers, I've had a bad injector, also a piece in the throttle body had to be replaced after check engine light. My initial performance was awesome, at 6800 miles the dead stop, low end performance went south and they still can not tell me why. Once it gets rolling it does OK but I want it back the way it was. They tell me nothings wrong. So what happened???
  • bkuepaintbkuepaint Member Posts: 3
    I have an 08 with 6000 miles and thats about what I'm getting. I tried the chip but there were to many problems with it. The onlt that a few of my buddies have tried is the AFE Air intake and they say they get aroung 14-15 mpg. But my buddies who work for Ford have told me out of all the things about this truck that they did like, the MPG's were the only thing they didnt like.
  • albrightalbright Member Posts: 4
    THE DEALER IS RE PROGRAMING THE COMPUTER EVERY TIME YOU TAKE IT BACK IN. MY 08 350 HAD GREAT POWER AND MPG WAS AROUND 14 WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT IT. THE DEALER RE PROGRAMED MY COMPUTER IT WENT DOWN TO 10.4 MPG AND NO POWER. I PUT IN A EDGE CHIP, I"M GETTING AROUND 13 MPG AND I HAVE A TON OF POWER. I HEAR DODGE AND CHEVY ARE BUT GETTING AROUND 16 MPG, IS THIS TRUE.
    I have an 08 with 15,000 miles on it now. 13 mpg is mostly what I get. I have saw 15.9 at 65mph on a long road trip and 10.4 with a small load. I have 373s