Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5/Miata: Prices Paid and Buying Experience

124»

Comments

• toytolextoytolex Member Posts: 4
    Hey Ich77 so did u end up getting a Miata and not the IS250AWD? I am in the market for one and was wondering what your experience was when negotiating at the dealership? My goal is to get a IS250AWD with Nav/Prem. Please advice.
  • ldislerldisler Member Posts: 83
    Left a deposit on a in stock Mazda5 @8:00 pm. Called them @2:00 the next day to cancel the deal and they refuse to refund my deposit. The salesman never said
    it wasn't refundable. What do I do now?
  • lch77lch77 Member Posts: 53
    Yes, I got the Miata. After a long series of evaluations to get a car for my son, I ended up getting him a Subaru Imprezza Outback Sport and a Miata for me. However, since the Miata dealer only offered me $4000 for my 2002 A4, I kept it as well. Basically, I screwed up and have an extra car. The total cost of these two new cars was only $2000 more than the MSRP for the $40,400 IS250. Based on the lease price they quoted, I figured that they were selling it for about $36,000. I think I saw better deals on these pages for that car, BUT REMEMBER, the option packages are different in different parts of the Country, making it harder to compare deals.
    Laws in each state are different. The 3 day rule (you can change your mind within 3 days of signing) but sometimes only applies to "in home" sales and I don't know about deposits in NJ. They way i see it you have 3 choices:
    1. enjoy the Mazda
    2. Forego the deposit
    3. call a lawyer to find out what the law says. The dealer could say that you lose the deposit even if the law says you don't, hoping that you don't find out until after the 3 day window (note, you might be able to google NJ consumer laws and get an answer)
  • beernutzbeernutz Member Posts: 4
    I have an opportunity to buy a dealer demo 2009 Miata MX-5 Grand Touring 6 speed manual with the power retractable hard top (MSRP is $28900 invoice is $27000) which has 3700 miles on it. The dealer will sell it to me as new. That particular vehicle is pretty rare in my area as it was the only one with those specs in a 250 mile radius of my zip code.

We have negotiated to essentially the $27000 invoice as a price before title, tax, and license (TTL), then I'm getting a $3500 clunker rebate plus a $500 additional dealer rebate for having a clunker bringing it down to $23000 out of pocket before TTL.

However, I've never bought a demo car before and have no idea what an appropriate discount would be. Any helpful suggestions are much appreciated.
  • beernutzbeernutz Member Posts: 4
    Nevermind. I called the salesman back and told him I wasn't comfortable buying a demo. He called me back later saying he'd found the same exact car, brand new (not a demo) at another dealership which I could buy for the same pre-TTL, pre-clunkers rebate price of $26500 he'd quoted me for the demo, plus $150 to transport this vehicle to his dealership. I went for it.

After getting this price for the new car I now realize that I was about to pay way too much for the demo. Live and learn I guess, but no harm done in this case.
  • miatamama1miatamama1 Member Posts: 41
    Thank your lucky stars....I paid over $30,000 almost two years ago.
  • investor27investor27 Member Posts: 59
    That's incredible! Was it a PRTH? Are there still deals like that out there on a brand new 08, $28,000 car for $18,000?
    I got a new '08 PRHT for $22,400 around April 29, 2009. The MSRP was $30,400. The first day that I started looking was around April 22 and the dealer had 5 '08 leftovers. when i picked up my car a week later, he only had 2 left.

I've heard that 2009 Miata sales are way off (I guess in this economy, people aren't buying "fun" cars. Probably buying practical instead). This could mean a repeat of the $5K rebate in April 2010.
  • ck90211ck90211 Member Posts: 159
    So April is the time Mazda offers best incentives for Miatas? I thought it would be Oct just ahead of winter and no one buying convertibles. If the best Mazda would offer is $5K off $30K, I am probably better off buying that new Camero at MSRP.
  • dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    just bought a leftover 09 touring 6 spd with sport pack. msrp was 26340, i paid 19000 plus ttl. otd was 21,500 with california taxes and fees. i think there was a mazda dealer incentive to move a bunch of cars because they were extremely motivated with a little bit of haggling. always been a nissan man through and through but think i am a mazda convert...at least when it comes to roadsters!!! ;)
  • indyalfaindyalfa Member Posts: 1
    Two years ago I leased a new MX5 Grand Touring. Nice car and a good price ($349 x 24, inc tax, no down). It has below normal wear and tear (18,000 miles). Now at the end of the lease the scam artist that Mazda sends to inspect the car wants $2000.00 for wear. This includes $1,000 for a slightly scratched rim. Yes, that is correct $1,000 for a Mazda rim. And $750 for a rear bumper with " paint not broken and two 3"- 5" scratches. Now I have to go negotiate with the dealer. I have leased BMW and Saab before and never seen anything like this. Mazda may give you a good deal upfront but they will stoup to to end to get you at the end of your lease.
  • dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    Take the car to carmax and see what they'll buy it for and then see what your buyout is, you may come out ahead that way (or not)...

Yes that is pretty rude of them. I had a Civic lease about 8 years ago with dents on it and Honda was very reasonable at turn-in.
  • fhs64fhs64 Member Posts: 4
    How can I get the model I want with the options I want instead of searching a dealer's inventory hoping against hope to find exactly what I want? It seems to me that if I "order" a vehicle, then I don't have room to negotiate a deal somewhere between invoice and MSRP. I can flat out refuse to pay for added items such as fabric protector, paint protector, pin stripping, documentation fees, etc. but to "order" a vehicle makes me feel as if I have no choice but to pay the MSRP. Any thoughts? Please don't tell me to "Build Your Own" as this is nothing more than a fantasty game that ultimately directs you to a dealer who may or may not have exactly what is wanted. Example Bommarito Mazda in St. Louis had the model, trim level, color but had added the Convenience Pkg ($1200) along with about $250 of crap (fabric guard, etc.). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • myspringermyspringer Member Posts: 13
    I used consumers report to find out the dealers cost for the vehicle I wanted and offered them 3 per cent above their cost in Oct 2009. It was ordered and delivered within 6 weeks.

You will probaly get a great deal right now on on stock vehicles. I paid $1100.00 over dealer cost for awd v6 fully loaded except for nav package
  • fhs64fhs64 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the response. 3% is a number I can remember. Thanks again. Will get to work figuring my numbers...now all I have to do is get the money.
  • pacificwavepacificwave Member Posts: 1
    Had a happy experience with Internet Managers at Menlo Mazda. Picked up 2010 MX-5 Grand Touring, manual transmission, power hardtop, with Premium package and Suspension Package. Car (with destination but before docs and taxes) came to $26,393.
    Out the door price:
    Selling Price: $26393
    Dmv & Fees: $429
    Tax (9.5%) : $2512.56
    TOTAL OTD: $29334.56
    They gave a reasonable price on my trade-in, too, so my final outlay was reduced. No surprises at all at the dealership; everything we'd emailed about was honored with no hassles at all. I had expected at least some unpleasant aspect, but there wasn't one.
    What did surprise me was that I could get actual price quotes from only 3 of the 6 Mazda dealers I contacted. And Menlo was by far the lowest.
    I love my Copper Red Mica roadster --- and the heated seats will pay off big time here in Northern California. :)
  • snowallergysnowallergy Member Posts: 135
    Trying to bring this forum back though. I did buy a nice used 2003 for 9900. Low miles. The 2001-2005 is the sweet spot for this car, IMO.
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    I recently purchased a 2002 MX-5 with just 36,000 miles for $8K. I bought the car in FL and it looks and rides like a new car. This is my first Mazda and also my first convertible. This car has been an absolute blast to drive.

I'll keep the car in FL where we have a second home. I expect to put no more than 5K miles a year on it, so I'm hoping to get many years of zoom - zoom out of my new toy.
This discussion has been closed.