Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5/Miata: Prices Paid and Buying Experience

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
edited October 2014 in Mazda
Tell us how much you paid for your new Miata!!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• warthogwarthog Member Posts: 216
    I just reserved a 2006 Grand Touring, auto, premium package, for $28,800, 3% NC sales tax and all title/licensing included.
  • mx5speedmx5speed Member Posts: 1
    2005 MazdaSpeed Touring (leather seats) New. $22,732.00 Oct 30, 2005 No hassles, laid back.
    Nelson Mazda, Antioch (Nashville) TN, 37013
    They had 5 more between the 2 stores.

Boy does it go...... :P
  • nilesboynilesboy Member Posts: 10
    Would like to find a dealer in
    Greater Orlando, Fl. who is easy to deal with. Anyone have a good answer? What can I expect to pay? Are there "any Discounts out there" that you can tell me about? Should I look for a "New" 2005 over a new 2006?
    I have heard the 2005 can use Regular Gasoline but the 2006 requires High Test. True?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Something to keep in mind....

The '06 is a completely different car from the '05..

Go drive both of them.. and decide which one if for you.. A good deal on a car you aren't happy with is not a good deal..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• nilesboynilesboy Member Posts: 10
    If I were to find a new 05 do you believe it might be a better car to begin with?
    Like kyfdx said, drive them both. However, fwiw, I've done so and bought the 06: it's bigger and has more power. The exterior styling is also improved, imo, and the interior is a little more dressed up. The power increase is significant and so is the interior space. I'm 6-3, 195#, and can drive it for several hours comfortably, something I don't believe possible in the older model. It's primarily my wife's car--my usual ride is a BMW E39 530, so that's my standard of comparison for space and comfort.
  • alabamgirlalabamgirl Member Posts: 7
    I have been looking at the 06 Sport model. The dealer is offering the following:

lease: 36/mo 15K $449-$469 month residual 60% MF 2.4
    purchase: 60 months @ $525-$550 month 6% loan

Both are $500 down, no trade in talked about yet. I feel we can do better as negotiating progresses as they have several Miatas in stock. Does this sound like I am off to a good start? Thanks.
    Probably not. Monthly payments of $525-550 at 6% indicates a purchase price between $27,650 and $29,000. You don't say what options you're considering nor the amount of your state sales tax, but the MSRP (and Edmund's True Market Value) for a base Sport model is $23,495 (plus sales tax). I think you'd be hard pressed to get that price up to $28,000 even fully loaded.

You're going about the negotiation wrong. Don't negotiate monthly payment. Negotiate price. Once that's settled, see who has the best financing or lease deal.
  • alabamgirlalabamgirl Member Posts: 7
    does anyone have the money factor and residuals on the new 06 Miata? Thanks.
    Hi, alabamgirl...

Try re-posting your question here:

Mazda Miata: Lease Questions

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• honeybun1honeybun1 Member Posts: 2
    06 Grand Touring, with $1600 package
    msrp $26595
    price $24949
    39 mo lease/15K
    MF .00295
    due @ signing: first mo & $500 security
    monthly payment $427 (includes 6.5% tax)

am I getting a good deal? thanks.
  • yeegayeega Member Posts: 3
    I have been shopping for an mx-5 sport in the CA bay area. Found quite a few in the invoice range (a little more, a little less). I ended up with a demo at Menlo Mazda (menlomazda.com); I think the price was good (around $21k, plus tax and license), but I have had a problem with the vinyl top tucking away smoothly. anyone else had that problem?
    Hi, yeega..

Congratulations on the new car.. I see you've found the general Mazda Miata forum.. Hopefully, someone there will have an answer for you.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• sjdesjde Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at both of these and like them both. I'm leaning toward the Miata because of the cost and I really don't need the extra horsepower of the Honda S2000. But I wonder if my husband would be happier with the other.

Joan
  • meshmesh Member Posts: 20
    Picked up my Miata Sport in Nordic Green with limited slip, Sirius radio, splash guards, and (useless) all weather floor mats from Flanagan's Mazda in Missoula, MT for $23417 out the door (does not include registration). A Spokane, WA dealership quoted me a similar price. Now I'm addicted. I guess the first step towards healing is admitting you have a problem.
  • kenny1kenny1 Member Posts: 2
    The fix is very easy. When you are folding the top, push the glass window towards the interior of the car. Kind of help it fold in. You dont have to do this every time.
  • kenny1kenny1 Member Posts: 2
    I am the new/proud owner of a new 2006 MX-5 3rd Gen Ltd #1114. I was able to buy it at invoice price in NJ w/o a minute spend negotiating. :)
  • topspin628topspin628 Member Posts: 373
    Congrats! I had been looking at higher end sporty cars (BMW, Porsche, Vette) and none of them "grabbed me" For the heck of if I took out an MX5 06 and was hooked.
    I would love to hear your review. What else did you cross shop? Honda S2000?
    What options did you get?

Good luck and have fun. What a great machine!
  • coach1019coach1019 Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately, I have to sell my 2003 Miata (Shinsen version).
    Only has 18K miles. Dealer was willing to take in trade but only offered $13K. I think I should be insulted. Decided to sell myself. But I have no idea what to ask. Can anyone help?
  • mkpamkpa Member Posts: 2
    OK.... found a 1999 miata in a dealers lot for 12. Hesitation, bloweb ack @ 1400@RPM
    2 days later went to 8. Dealer went 9.
    Hmmmm. Found cRACK IN cannister. ordered new.
    Offered 8 again. Dealer went 9 I went 7.5

Dealer went 8, I put in New Cannister ran fine.

Life is good!
  • jdevensjdevens Member Posts: 3
    Thinking about a 2005 for cost issues- I love buying "yesterdays" car, as the price is always attractive.
    Any info on deals for new 2005's?
    I noted that on the Mazda site there are no rebates for the '05 models, which I thought a little strange.
    Any thoughts/info would be appreciated. My local dealer has nearly a dozen '05's.
    I think any incentives on the '05s have already been paid out to the dealers.... so, that is why you aren't seeing any here...

The ads that I've seen in my local paper offer between $6K-$7K off MSRP on the leftover '05s... I remember a fairly loaded example being offered for $18,795..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Did you sell yet? $13k trade seems pretty good for an 03 Shisen Miata. You might get $14k private party sale... with new 06's selling for $18.5 in the NW, I don't think you'd get much more around here.
  • slaughter5111slaughter5111 Member Posts: 12
    If I am paying cash (in full) for a MX-5 Grand Touring Miata automatic sticker price $27695 in Florida. What price should I be able to get if I negotiate well.
    Invoice or less, depending on local market conditions.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Invoice or less, depending on local market conditions.

Or MSRP depending on the local market conditions.
    I'd be suprised if smart consumers any place in the country are paying MSRP for the Miata.

Local paper has a base Miata MSRP $21,995 Invoice $20,238 (with a $500 rebate) listed for $18,590... Definitely not MSRP. This isn't the lowest price dealer in town either.
  • winger52winger52 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 91 Miata with 122k on the odometer. Asking price: $3500, new top, in fairly good shape. Should I be concerned about the miles since the owner doesn't have any previous service records? Car drives nice; seller is the 3rd owner. Thanks,
    Winger52
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I'd be suprised if smart consumers any place in the country are paying MSRP for the Miata

Smart consumers are somewhat elusive...sorta like finding a good driver. You know your one but most others arent...LOL
  • lwirthlwirth Member Posts: 8
    Can someone recommend the best place on the internet to search for a good deal on a used Miata, 1999 model or newer? Thanks.
  • joescarjoescar Member Posts: 30
    Go to www.miata.net classifieds or Ebay or Craigslist key word "miata" under cars and trucks. Cars.com classifieds can also bring up a few. Caution: Some 99s have bad #4 main bearings so you may want to check that particular version if you find one. Miata.net has extensive information regarding this potential problem. Best of luck.
    Thanks for your response Joescar, Lwirth
  • manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    ...the base models are scarce. Also, never trust an ad - could be a demo. I just got $1,100 off of a GT MSRP of $24,995 near Boston. Lower end models are just not sitting around dealer lots in the NE. Most GTs sticker out at $27K with a manual - including at least an SP option package. Just depends on how much you can afford then search inventory in your area on the Mazda site.

Picking up my red GT on Monday...
    Ads are weekend specials. Not demos... these dealers let you try out the car you are interested in. Most of the other dealers will beat the sale price. I've picked up a number of new cars this way... always below invoice. Just takes a little research and watching the ad prices. I guess the PNW has more competitive pricing.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Ads are weekend specials. Not demos...

You might be forgetting that Ad's are also designed to draw traffic, hence the low low prices, usually on the base model. The same discount's do not always apply to the same model with added options. We offer the Mazda3 i at $13,990. with is little over $300 below invoice on the base, 5-speed model. You cannot get the same discount on a Mazda3 i Touring at my dealership.

Since MX-5's in the north east are becoming scarce, we are holding decent gross. I am in CT, and I sold a MX-5 to a guy in Albany, NY because no dealer had the MX-5 he wanted. I made full list :blush:
    I realize the weekend ads are meant to draw traffic. Cool thing around here is you can get other dealers to at least match the price, and you'll see different Miata models available in the weekend ads. As the consumer, you just have to be patient and watch for the good deals. Helps to be in an area where there's competition and availability too.
    As a consumer, that is the smart thing to do. I do that with every other product advertised, like electronics. Most dealers will match, unless the deal is just too big of a loser.
    I called 128 Mazda in the Boston area before buying mine. They advertised $3,000 off a Club Spec in the Sunday paper. Well, they said this includes all possible incentives that are available - you would have to be a retired 60 year old college student who had purchased another Mazda exactly 2 years ago to get the full discount :) Realistically they were offering a $1K discount over the phone. I have purchased over 20 new cars so far in my lifetime - getting a good deal includes good timing, working multiple dealers at the same time, and good negotiating skills. I bought a 2003 BMW 530i brand new for $4K under invoice.
    I have purchased over 20 new cars so far in my lifetime - getting a good deal includes good timing, working multiple dealers at the same time, and good negotiating skills. I bought a 2003 BMW 530i brand new for $4K under invoice

I see that from your name you have purchased quite a few BMW's. I don't know if you know how the biz works, but, a 2003 BMW 530i sold for $4,000 UNDER invoice was probably still a winner for the dealer. I'm sure BMW's have quite a large holdback system, plus any incentives that were on the car, considering the 530i is not their #1 seller. However, you did receive a fantastic deal, which I guess was the point of your post. Congrads on the Beamer!
    that was not the point of the post - but it was substantiating evidence you whipper snapper :).
    hey, no whipper snapper here...although my name probably suggest's so! :)
  • mazdaman3mazdaman3 Member Posts: 12
    I'm looking at a 1999 MX-5 with 17,000 miles on it, the dealership is asking 11,900 and edmunds tmv says right at 9,000. It needs new tires, but otherwise it's in good shape. KBB.com says 10,500. Is edmunds off, how much should I be expecting them to come down to? And how do I get them to come down. And how do I get them to lower the price of the car and not increase the trade in value of my current car? Thanks for you help.
    Edmunds and KBB are publishers. Most car dealers, or people in the biz do not go by what these sites suggest, however, consumers do.

A 1999 MX-5 with 17,000 miles on it is a very rare find. Mileage for that car should be around 70,000-75,000 miles. I do not have my book's with me, for I am home, and not at work, so I may be off.

You can offer to the dealer what you are willing to pay. Keep in mind, they do not have to accept your offer. Most dealers will work with you. But, a rare find means you paying out for it. If you really want it, work your butt off to get it.

Three weeks ago, I sold a 1999 Chevy Corvette conv. w/suspension package with 11,000 miles on it. KBB was around $27,700 I think. We were advertising it for $29,990. I sold it for $28,500. But, we had to pay through the nose to get it on trade. That is just another example of the type of situation you are in.

Good luck, I hope you get the MX-5
    I am seriously considering the purchase of a yellow 2002 SE with 37,000 miles in excellent condition for $14,500. I like the previous generation Miata mainly for the higher seating position -- elbow sits comfortably on the window sill. I assume that I could buy a new base MX-5 for around $21,000. I would appreciate any advice from the experts out there. I like the extra horsepower and safety features on the new MX-5, but also appreciate the looks and lower price of the used 2002 SE. Any advice would be appreciated.
    02 SE is nice. Drive them them both and see which one you like.
    I would gave the same advise. They are two totally different cars. See which you like better.
  • ua01682ua01682 Member Posts: 48
    If you like the prior body style, but are not sure about the 2002 SE, you might be able to find a 2005 MSM Grand Touring new. I did. The Mazdaspeed (MSM) was top of the line and turbocharged. I was able to get this model for 18.9 new three weeks ago. There are still some out there and dealers will deal on them.
    ua01682, You got one hell of a deal on your 2005 MSM. I ended up paying $14,000 for the 2002 SE, including an extended warranty with 4 years to go. Not as good a deal as your, but OK I think, with all things considered.
  • ua01682ua01682 Member Posts: 48
    Thanks! Your 2002 SE is a great car. You'll enjoy it. :-)
  • dboedboe Member Posts: 69
    I was looking seriously at the '06 Civic Si for purchase.
    Now looking at the Miata Sport (plug handling pkg.)
    for a bit more.
    I had considered a used S2000, but I think either of the 2 will get me in enough trouble for the same money, and of course, new is new.
    I wonder how many of you road tested both these vehicles.
    I see the Si as more a young crowd vehicle, but I do like great performance and am not a huge convertible fan.
This discussion has been closed.