Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Escalade

Comments

• dapetrundapetrun Member Posts: 15
    Can anyone suggest a web site that would sell a small CCTV color camera with low lux capability for the rear of my Escalade? This would help a great deal when hooking up to the trailer. I already have a wide screen on the dash (Alpine navigation system) and the wiring is already run to the rear for the camera. Any suggestions on lens and angle of coverage also appreciated.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    How about this from Donnelly, called the Video Mirror?

http://www.12voltdirect.com/products/videomirror.htm

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    Edmund's was very impress with the Escalade. For GM haters, they loved its versatility, technology, and safety features. Here is the rest of the story. They also did a short take with the Denali XL and was very impress with it too.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/roadtest/47558/article.html

J "CaddyLac"

• dd26dd26 Member Posts: 1
    I just test drove both 2WD and AWD models of '02 Escalade and was surprised to find a significant difference in ride. With 2WD, really felt potholes more and felt vehicle jolts. Was that my imagination or does Stablitrak make that much difference? Does anyone know how much the suspension really changes between the two models?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Stabilitrak doesn't turn on until the vehicle just starts to slide. It prevents a skid from occuring at that point. Otherwise, it's on (unless you switch it off manually), but in standby mode.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Should theoretically have a much better on-road ride than the AWD version.

-mike
  • gjockeygjockey Member Posts: 11
    there is a 250 lb weight difference between the 2 cars.. maybe that could explain your observations somewhat. Also, could be alot of things like tire air pressure in their demos are different, maybe 1 demo has been broken in longer etc. ------------ John
  • eman5eman5 Member Posts: 110
    Do you lose much of an overhead console?

Any recommendations re: all-weather (rubber) mats for cabin and cargo floors? Bug/stone chip shields?
    For those interested in customizations of your Escalade read on it on the media.gm site. There could be a possible chance for a limited production model.

http://media.gm.com/news/releases/011029_escalade.html

J "CaddyLac"

• rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    I hope that Cadillac will bring out a Suburban sized version of the Escalade!

Any comments on this as a possiblitity?

rcoos
    Goto Edmund's review and click on "In the Pipeline" or whatever it says about the future Cadillacs. It will be called the Escalade XL with an addition of the standard Escalade in 2003.

The Escalade is going to be revised internally interior-wise to have its own look similar like the STS and DTS for 2003 as I understand which will further distance the Tahoe and Denali cousins.

J "CaddyLac"
    EXT vs. Blackwood:

It was a wonderful comparison test between the two. But did anyone notice how ridiculous the the review was?

How is it that the Blackwood outhandles the EXT whereas in other publications, it stated that the EXT handling is shocking whereas other reviewers were not crazy about the Blackwoods handling?

Did you guys notice how badly they criticize the over use of body panels and cladding on the EXT saying that it was busy but praise the styling of the Blackwood and talks about how clean the design is of the truck whereas evident misaligned door panels was easily evident without squenching your eyes to see on the passenger door. What farce of a blind-sided review I have ever read? The body cladding and so-called over use body panels line-up perfectly. These so-called experts did not took notice to this.

Did the EXT won the comparison test? I believe the EXT was a clear cut winner but those guys did not say who was a clear cut winner. The EXT and Blackwood nearly equally match whereas each upped one another in some things but the EXT has an edge on most things. The EXT is more practical and a working man's truck and innovative functionally whereas the Blackwood is a truck with a huge trunk/pick-up bedding that does not line up as well with the body (closer look at the autoshow I attended). The EXT is bold, distinctive and stylish and the Blackwood is elegant, luxurious and laid back in style. I will take the EXT for my hard earned dollars.

Goto www.pickuptruck.com to read the comparison test of the two. It is more accurate.

J "CaddyLac"
    ****Details*****

When: Saturday Jan 19
    Where: Pine Barrens (Lebanon State Forest, NJ)
    Meet: Intersection of Rte 70 and 72 near Whiting, NJ
    Time: 10:45-11am
    Who: AWD/4wd Vehicles (no 2wd please)
    What: Off-road Trail Ride through the barrens, will be fun for all, we encourage Subarus, Rav4s, CRVs, Isuzus, Highlanders, 4-runners, Santa Fe, Explorers, etc.

****Details****
  • rcoosrcoos Member Posts: 167
    Has anyone heard of any changes to the next model year Escalade? I would like to see the graphite interior become available!
    rcoos
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    'Brady showed his boyish demeanor when he was given his MVP award - a Cadillac SUV - and he exclaimed: "That's my car?"'

I'm pretty sure he meant it in a good way!

NY Post story.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Funny story. What a great game!
  • outdoorplacesoutdoorplaces Member Posts: 31
    Well, the folks at Edmunds have put me on notice I can't mention a certain unmentionable website.

I'm working on setting up Cadillac Escalde EXT - Avalanche cruises/meets between May and July in the following metro areas:

Boston
    New York
    Philly/Baltimore/DC
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Miami
    Memphis
    Detriot
    Chicago
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Denver
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Houston
    San Antonio
    Phoenix
    Seattle/Tacoma
    San Francisco/San Jose/Oakland/Sacremento
    Los Angeles/San Diego

Right now people are signed up in Boston, Philly/Baltimore/DC, Chicago, Memphis, Seattle/Tacoma, San Fran Bay Area, and Los Angeles/San Diego.

If you're interested in meeting other EXT or Avalanche owners to go on a cruise (no 4X4 off-road stuff) and have a good time - as well as discuss regular meetings - well we can talk about it here.

Folks that use the site I can't mention - don't bring it up - lets respect Edmunds.

Thanks!
    Hey anyone in the NY/NJ/PA area that wants to come for some light off-roading is welcome to join the Subaru/Isuzu/Montero/Any other brands on our monthly trail rides in the Pine Barrens. Our next event is Feb 17. Check out http://isuzu-suvs.com/events for more details and pictures of previous events. So far on this trail ride we have:

2 Vehicrosses

2 Troopers

1 Montero

1 Explorer Sport

2 Subaru Impreza 2.5RSs

1 Subaru Brat

2 Subaru WRXs

2 Outbacks

1 Jeep Cherokee

1 Nissan Pickup

1 Isuzu Amigo

We'd love to have some avalanches or escalades come out. These trails are very very light duty (heck the subies even make it) so don't expect any damage

-mike

• jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    How smooth is the ride of the new Escalades and EXTs?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    New Rollover Ratings and New Crash Test Results

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • jhberry4jhberry4 Member Posts: 11
    I think you will find the ride in the Escalade to be as smooth as most luxury cars, it has a really long wheelbase. I have suprised many SUV haters with how great the ride is. I equate it to the cadillacs of the early 70's and before, but without all of the floatiness. Hope that helps, I can not speak for the EXT though.
    The EXT should have the same ride as the Escalade, as it is built on the same frame and underpinnings. The Avalanche should ride the same as the suburban, as it is on the same frame and underpinnings.

-mike
    C'mon guys come out and show us what those big american iron can do on the trail! :)http://isuzu-suvs.com/events

-mike

• dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    to see some of these things on the trails. Ya gotta post some pics if you get some Paisan :)
    So far we have a very diverse group Suzukis, Subarus, Isuzus, Mitsubishis, Ford. You can always see pics of our trail rides at http://isuzu-suvs.com/events

-mike

• cheryl17cheryl17 Member Posts: 1
    My husband has a problem with a chirping noise which seems to come from the dash area. The first time at the dealer they replaced the altenator. This seemed to work for 1 day then the noise was back. The second time at the dealer they took all the belts off and checked all the moving components under the hood. They heard the noise but could not determine where it was coming from. We are still waiting to hear from them on how to resolve this. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    It's likely two pieces rubbing together somewhere. It can be really hard to find. My fiends Pathfinder did the same thing but the dealer eventually found it and secured what ever it was. Try and find the location of the chirp as best you can and get the dealer to work on it again.
  • baron87baron87 Member Posts: 93
    If you don't knwo this all ready, next-year there will be two new additions to the 'Slade family:

The ESV, based off the longer 'Burban, probably with the XV12...

And EXL, replacement for Bravada, with what will probably be a 400 bhp twin-turbo I6...
  • scot29scot29 Member Posts: 7
    Lutz announced Tuesday that Cadillac will NOT send the CTS to Germany becuase of its poor quality.

Lutz said "the quality of interior elements from external suppliers - such as the seats, instrument panel and steering wheel - was not good enough for the German luxury segment"

But it is apparently good enough for the US.

http://www.autonewseurope.com/2002geneva/cts305.htm

• baron87baron87 Member Posts: 93
    what does that have to with the Escalade??
    If it is a fact. I'm not a caddy basher though.

-mike
    March 17 Pine Barrens Monthly Trail Ride

Info on a gently off-road experience in the Pine Barrens of Central/Southern NJ. Come on out for a day of adventure, fun, and comradre with fellow SUV/Off-road/Rally/Car Nuts! Info at http://isuzu-suvs.com/events

-mike

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I am having difficulty seeing exactly how Subaru and Isuzu Events have anything to do with Cadillac Escalade.

Please help me with this one.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    It's open to All-4wd/AWD Vehicles. I shall fix the page to reflect that this eventing. I mean the Escalade is an Off-road vehicle right? Or is it just a luxury car? ;)

-mike
    Thanks, Mike!

I don't intend to tell you how to run your own personal site but it sure would help here if the connection with those (interesting sounding!) events were more transparently relevant to all the other vehicle forums where you post your invitations!
    tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    It started as a bunch of Subies and Isuzus going out and now it's evolved into more of a general "light off-roading" for people in the area. One of these days I'm gonna get Edmunds PR people to send us some shirts or some hats to give out at the events :)

-mike
    Mike,

One of these days I'm gonna get Edmunds PR people to send us some shirts or some hats to give out at the events :)
    I passed that on to Edmund's management!
    tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • bolkerbolker Member Posts: 30
    As a person who has competed in several off-road events with my 4WD vehicles, I must tell you that to a much larger extent, it has more to do with the driver than the vehicle. These are friendly, not-overly-harsh challenges where it's all fairly slow and safe. That being said, a heavier vehicle will generally do WORSE than a lighter vehicle. However, if you know your vehicles strengths and weaknesses, you can easily overpower others with arguably "better" off road vehicles.

I've always used what I had at the time. That being a Ford Bronco and a Chevy Tahoe. The Bronco had better clearance which helped a LOT, but the Tahoe was more stable. Tires made a HUGE difference btw. Now that all being said, I have only won one of the 4WD competitions I entered, and it was with my Tahoe LT! I must admit I "in your faced" (in a really good natured way) a couple Range Rover, Toyota, and Subaru guys there. But when they win, I get the, "get a real SuV!" from them too. ;)

Clearly, the lighter vehicles have an advantage, but they don't necessarily own the track. ;)

I'm now looking at an Escalade. And I DO INDEED PROMISE to take it offroad into one of these contests. I will take pictures and post em all here. Wish me luck!

Ron
    If you are in the NY/NJ/PA area come to one of our light-hearted trips, no competition here just fun.

-mike
    I'm in Chicago, or I'd love to come out. I've met some of the best people at these get-togethers. They are fun!

Ron
    Cool beans, keep us posted. I don't own an escalade, but I've yet to see one "down and dirty" so some pics of you using yours as an SUV was design to be used would rock! :)

-mike
  • chemman14chemman14 Member Posts: 1
    I woudl like to put a fold down screen in my new 2002 Cadillac Escalade. I want some suggestions on who is the best company and what is the best place to get the screen. Any help is gladly appreciated.
    thank you,
    JJ Coutts
  • garmusgarmus Member Posts: 4
    The thing is big enough for a large screen TV. Are we talking window screens? OK everyone, tell me why we should replace our 1998 Lexus 470LX with an Escalade.
    I like the 470LX although I rather have the FXJ80 than the 470LX version of the TLC.

-mike
  • plowmanplowman Member Posts: 1
    Looking at a used Escalade 2002 AWD 5,500 miles from dealer Cadillac Certified w/6 years/100,000 miles warrenty for $45,900 any problems, love the style and power. Any common problems found with Esc?
    I also have been looking at 2002s with around the same mileage for about the same price. I've held out because I think that in the next couple months, the 2003s will be out and the price of 2002s still with similar mileage will be much lower priced. I'm HOPING that the price will be closer to 40k. I think that the new model is very desirable and being that there are only 2002s out there, the price is staying up. Bring out a NEW version and the price will drop.....I'm hoping.

Ron
  • rdl40rdl40 Member Posts: 60
    My father has been out of the country for a month and he's let me drive his escalade while gone.
    Some observations so far:
    1.windshield is to small, hard to see with visor
    down
    2. front seats don't go back very far, if you have long legs might be tough.
    3. seats are hard.
    4. too much boost in power steering, no feel of the road.
    5.love the engine and power, but shouldn't it
    be DOHC?
    6. Alot of money for this truck, my Expedition feels just as good for about $20k less.

ron
    Were you driving the older style 2000 escalade or the redesigned 2002 style? The most notable difference is the more-angled front grill and the more curved rear door windows. The new design is very different than the old one and handles considerably differently. The new one has all-time all-wheel drive only, the old one allowed for 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive.

However, if it is the new one, you felt that the handling of both vehicles are very similar? As in around turns and that?

Ron
  • rdl40rdl40 Member Posts: 60
    I apologize for the mix up, it is the new '02
    version.
    Their is definetly a big power gap between the caddy and the expedition, but if it's just around
    town driving you'll be satisfied with the ford.

and yes, I feel more connected to the road with the Expi., handling feels good(however mine is 4x2)
    ron