Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Escalade

Comments

• bolkerbolker Member Posts: 30
    Nice. I'm going to have to test drive one. I just recently did a fairly long test drive of the Escalade but could only compare it to my 97 Tahoe which of course it beats hands down. Thx.

Ron
  • becker8becker8 Member Posts: 3
    My 3yr 1999 Escalade lease just ended. I worked hard to find a suitable SUV for my real estate military relocation business. My customers and I log 18K miles a year, 3-4 days straight, on the twisty, fast and traffic congested roads around the nation's capitol. Had the Tahoe before...wouldn't hold the curves safely and too harsh a ride. Tested the Navigator...truck like suspension. Tested Toyota, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes and MDX. Too small, too expensive, and suspensions too like sports car. Escalade offers the most 12V outlets for phones and laptops; the biggest writing surfaces to complete contracts, the best cargo space for 199". So, today we executed another 3yr/18K mi lease on 2002 Escalade AWD. Sadly leases have increased about $200mo since 1999, and that's true across the board. My '99 Escalade had no major flaws, needed no repairs and the lease includes smart care for which I pay nothing at the visit. The only dealership close to my Cadillac dealership of 15 years is Lexus, and their comparable was $1,183mo, $360 more! Critics of the Escalade package will indeed be happier in lesser products to save themselves the embarrassment of oohs and aahs, which my customers ALWAYS make about the black Escalade with the gold emblems.
  • haplologyhaplology Member Posts: 28
    Does anyone know if there are any changes at all scheduled for the 2003 Escalade?

Thanks.
  • becker8becker8 Member Posts: 3
    My wife is a successful, $100,000+yr, realtor. So, she spends HOURS/DAYS driving 2-5 clients around to preview homes in northern VA. They are saavy military officers, frequently pilots, and know their machinery. EVERYONE is impressed with the interior quality, power, and ride of the Escalade. We turned in the '99 for the '02 AWD this wknd. $200mo more on lease! Did not go to Sequoia because it lacks the interior luxury of seats (bottoms too flat), and because it does not have the cache with customers (no one every heard of it!). Escalade has shortcomings because of truck ancestry, added 3rd row seats are on Rube Goldberg wire frames/wheels, must be pulled out to make room. 2nd and 3rd row seats don't disappear into floor as they should and do in new chassis designs. No one who uses vehcile in and around town needs 345hp block with poor mileage. All the seat leg room has been reduced a couple inches to accommodate 3rd row--poor compromise. Body has become bulging with fewer clean lines as were more apparent on '99 model. Still, Molly thinks the "cadillac statement, gold pkg on black paint" works better with her customers who get 10-12 hours in it per day until they find the home the like. Hope this helps. Navy Captain Becker.
  • mbclk430mbclk430 Member Posts: 58
    '03 escalade will have redesigned interior and a full size version (ESV) will be added. You can find this info on www.autoweek.com with a search for "ESV"
    I was just commenting on another thread that for the new design, I think the red actually looks best. Personal taste of course. ;)

When will the new '03s come out? I'm dying to see if the new interiors are worth waiting for. If not, I'd be happier with a slightly used (read that as less than 10k miles) '02 for $40k and save the 10k I'd spend on a new one in accessories.

The wife just gave me the green light on the purchase, so I'm in full-bore-must-know-all-details investigation mode. ;)

Ron
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    #4 Cadillac Escalade

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Oh oh. Oh well, I spose we should have expected this. This is the hot SUV out right now, and with that kind of performance, people are going to drive them hard. Of course, most people have no idea what they're doing behind the wheel of that much power, same as the vettes. Add to that people wanting a "discount" on the parts they break on these expenseive beasts, and people wanting to sell these "used" vehicles out of the country, and it adds up to high claims from accidents and thefts. I spose you'd better have a garage if you want to get one......

Ron
    ....and it was just listed as the 4th most expensive vehicle to insure (not including exotics). Damn, that stinks.

Ron
    I've now heard it rumored that the '03 redesign includes some cluster and dash changes, similar to the dash already in the Corvette. There is going to apparently be an LCD type display with displayed information controlled by steering wheel controls that supply a huge amount of information far and above mileage and distance information. I don't know more about it, and I'm still checking around about it, but if anyone has any more specifics about the actual modifications, I'd love to hear them or see a link to them.

Ron
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    the CTS cluster. That is pretty nice if you ask me.

-mike
    Well, the CTS comes with this....

====================
    CD-ROM Navigation System

With the available Luxury or Luxury Sport Package, you can choose the onboard CD-ROM navigation system, which uses GPS (global positioning satellite) to pinpoint your CTS's location with the aid of a GPS antenna built into the navigation control processing unit.

Bright, clear graphics are conveniently displayed for you on the instrument panel, which takes the place of the regular sound-system control panel. Controls for the sound system are integrated into the 6.5-inch diagonal touch screen. A premium audio system is included with the system.

The user-friendly touch screen features a light-gray background in daylight that automatically switches to a black background at night for optimum readability. Five dedicated controls along the left side of the screen control the navigation system. Four switches to the right of the screen operate the sound system in conjunction with screen-displayed controls.

Various navigation features can be personalized for up to three different drivers. Map displays may be either "north up" or from the driver's perspective with the direction of "travel up." Vehicles delivered in the United States offer Voice Prompts in five languages — English, French, German, Spanish or Italian.* You may select various screen settings, destination locations and route planning methods to obtain either turn-by-turn guidance to a destination** or map assistance. Voice prompts are high-quality recordings that alert you to approaching intersections in the turn-by-turn mode. Sixty memory points can be held in memory, or a touch point on the map can identify the desired end of a trip.

====================

......but the cluster package looks like fairly standard dials.

Ron
  • yamahar6yamahar6 Member Posts: 23
    I think that the Escalade LOOKS great!
    I love the ones in those rap music videos (it seems that they are in EVERY video nowadays)
    that have twenty inch, usually chromed rims.

I was reading a car mag. the other day, and BFGoodrich ran a rather stupid, somewhat racially biased - albeit true, ad where a "baller," an NBA star, decided to get TWENTY FOUR INCH RIMS!!!!!

The ad said that only that company makes tires for such a big wheel.
    I think that that would be almost disgusting - I'd like to see it though.

My friend's father recently bought a grey Escalade - I think that the car is so "in your Face," that to get it in a subdued hue, without aftermarket wheels, is almost a crime.

After all, let's face it, the Escalade is hardly a comparable SUV to the new Range Rover, the X5, the RX300 or the LX470 - or even the new Navigator for that matter, in quality issues.

The dash design has remained unchanged from Chevy pickups of 10 years ago - that block GM design - the sad thing is - Caddy supposedly thought up a "new" dash design for the CTS based on the tower of a personal computer - and it ended up looking exactly like the Escalade's dash.

However, Caddy admittedly has made huge strides forward with the Escalade comp'd with the last one, the instruments are gorgeous.

I think that this car along with the 2001 Mustang Bullitt, the new Ford GT40, and the future Lincoln Continental are the "best" and most beautiful American cars on the market right now.
    (The Corvette is too androgynous-looking and 80's like - with those pop -up lights - for my taste).

I only wish that the back of the 'Lade was half as good as the front
  • neicey59neicey59 Member Posts: 47
    The Cadillac Escalade seems to be the car of choice for the inner city drug dealers. It is also seen on almost every HIP HOP video shown on MTV. Two colleagues of mine got rid of their Escalades after being pulled over, and mistaken for drug dealers.

Just my two cents

Neicey
    (owner of 01 ML320)
    I guess the suburban drug dealers still prefer their Mercedes?

/joke

Steve
    Host
    <<After all, let's face it, the Escalade is hardly a comparable SUV to the new Range Rover, the X5, the RX300 or the LX470 - or even the new Navigator for that matter, in quality issues.>>

Just curious as to what you are referring to. I'm guessing you mean interior parts quality appearance, since there isn't any issue with any technological part of the car. Functionally, everything works as well as any other SuV on the market. From a automotive standpoint, the engine and drivetrain are superior to all the other SuVs you mentioned, with the exception of an independant rear wheel axle. The Range Rover in particular is a mess when it comes to performance, and the other SuVs you mentioned are smaller. I suppose if you want small, why even look at the Escalade?

Now speaking of the interior......it pales in comparison to the look and feel of the SuVs you mention. The '02 Escalade does indeed look like a beefed up pick-up interior. They didn't even use knobs of any quality. It looks and feels inferior to other luxury SuVs. However, I must point out that I think the Navigator interior is a dud. It's plain and in my opinion homely. I don't care how well it's put together.

Now clearly, I'm defending the Escalade and in large part becuase I've fallin in love with it (we are getting married soon ;)). Not the interior which is of course secondary to me (but agreed important), and not because of the looks of it. It's because of the performance! I love power, and I love interior space, and I love comfort, and did I mention power? Anyhow, like I said, I'll give you the interior look and feel is inferior, but that's the only department in which it does in my opinion.

Ron
    Has low range, this makes it an SUV, not an SMV which the Escalade clearly is. Try doing http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/unf-04-26-02/ some of this stuff in the pretty Escalade! :) The LX470 will eat that up alive since the LX470 is known throughout the world as the TLC which is the best true SUV sold worldwide where there are no roads! :)

-mike

I forgot to mention how disgusted I am about this part of it. I hate to buy a car that's popular, especially if it's popular with hoods. It almost ruins it for me. I hate the big chrome wheel look and think it's gawdy to an extreme. I'm going to keep mine refined, only increasing the tire size to better fit the wheel wells, which I think can use larger and slightly wider tires. The black is the color of choice of most people and so I'm staying away from it. My Trans Am GTA is black and on that it looks great, but I don't like it on the Escalade. I'll be going with the more sedate red.

Ron
  • sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    I see a lot of Escalades and I still turn my heads towards it when I see it passes by to this day. It is the best looking SUV out there, period.

Have anyone out there seen the new '03 Range Rover. I have not seen it in person and I don't think I will like it at all. That mess is ugly as sin. The interior design does not look all that impressive.

If I was getting the Escalade, I would have it in Garnet Red also and keep the stock wheels. Those wheels look pretty sharp.

Now, I also see a lot of Mercedes Benzes in videos too and you can call them thug/drug dealer vehicles as well. The Benzes that are favorite among rappers are the S, CL, and SL class. I can view how many people got pulled over in the Benz and was accused of drug dealers as well.

J "CaddyLac"
    "Refined???" The Cadillac Escalade???

Say what you will about the GM, but they are not stupid, - relatively. I think that the reason perhaps that they are not changing much about the interior, is perhaps because a lot of people customize them to a large degree, a lot like Civics.

I was reading about a particular NBA player who is ripping out the 5 inch LCD screen in his Caddy, and putting in a 15 inch TV that folds out from the ceiling.

Ron, not to offend, but I don't think it's possible or even intended for the Escalade to be "refined."

And if you don't like the "thuggish" look, why buy it? Granted, the LX470 is a bit more, but it is a far better car. The Land Cruiser is also an option in that price range, but you may want a luxury nameplate.

Lest anyone think that I am blasting Caddy, let me reiterate my last point: I love the look of the car. And i don't understand why people despise the fact that it makes them look like "hoods." If you don't want to look like a hood, then don't buy one!!!

For instance, if I were to buy an AMG or M outfitted Benz, or Bimmer, respectively, in black and tint the windows completely black, I, or anyone, would get mistaken for a dealer too!

But that still doesn't take away from the car's distinctiveness, which I give Cadillac. Too many cars these days look the same; and the ones who are different often ending up looking like they are trying too hard (CTS, 360 Modena front end, Aztek, 7 series).

The Escalade is an image car, that's all there is too it. If you want quality buy a Toyota, or Lexus, but they don't convey half the "chic" that the 'Lade does.

Too me, it is almost a 21st century interpretation of a 60s musclecar - minus the muscle.

Complaining about it's thuggishness, and that people of questionable pedigree are "butchering" the look is like going to a Jerry Bruckheimer or Schwarzenegger movie and then complaining that there was no character development. It is what it is.
    Great points in the post you created.

Like I was telling someone on here, Mercedes or any luxury car can be a dealer car as well in post #521 I stated.

I don't understand why people complaining anyhow. If they don't like the vehicle it is stating, don't worry about its image and enjoy it or get rid of it. Simple as that.

J "CaddyLac"
    But I have to agree with the above posters who say if you don't like the image don't buy it. Pimps in the 70s had fuzzy dice and caddy's, Tony Soprano drives a GMC Suburban, etc. etc.

-mike
    If I was running drugs, I'd have a nice family vehicle like a mini-van looking like my family was driving to or from Disney World! :)

-mike
    lol, they'd still pull you over for speeding, Paisan :-) Better keep that "I support the local police" card in your wallet handy.

Steve
    Host
  • neicey59neicey59 Member Posts: 47
    I just wandered over from the M class forum to advise the nice folks buying the caddies of the risk they run of being pulled over and searched for drug paraphanalia on their way to the country club . But at least the Escalade owners spend less time in the service drive than us M Class owners.

btw...the burb dealers are smart - they are driving the Honda Odyssey with a soccer ball magnet adhered to the side panels.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    they are driving the Honda Odyssey with a soccer ball magnet adhered to the side panels.

Looks like the profilers will have to amend their handbooks! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    It took a day or two, but I thought I'd get your attention :-)

Steve
    Host
    <<Ron, not to offend, but I don't think it's possible or even intended for the Escalade to be "refined.">>

Fair enough, I agree. ;) Getting one in red downplays it a little bit, but saying "refined" is a big stretch.

<<And if you don't like the "thuggish" look, why buy it? Granted, the LX470 is a bit more, but it is a far better car. The Land Cruiser is also an option in that price range, but you may want a luxury nameplate.>>

It's not the thuggish look, it's that it's associated with thugs. I think it looks fine myself.

But what I really want it for is the power and performance. I swear, I could care less about the badging or nameplate. Interior-wise, I do want as comfortable and up-to-date as I can get, and clearly the Escalade isn't the winner there. I also want the interior space it provides. I'm a musician (a drummer) and I need a lot of room to haul equipment every weekend, plus my wife and usually a few friends come along. Additionally, I tow motorcycles frequently, and granted while it's not that much weight, an underpowered engine towing even that weight is troublesome. Believe me, if I felt I had an alternative, I would consider it.

<<The Escalade is an image car, that's all there is too it. If you want quality buy a Toyota, or Lexus, but they don't convey half the "chic" that the 'Lade does.>>

I suppose I could get a Denali and give up the extra safety of the special traction control the Escalade has, as well as the 35(?) horsepower. It's just that since I'm going to be driving this truck for at least 5 years, I want the best I can get today.

Ron
    It's a GM, not known for their longevity, 5-years might be a stretch ;)

-mike
    What kind of motorcycles do you tow?
    I tow dirt bikes. A few friends and I have been riding dirt bikes since we were in our teens. We compete in AMA sponsored Enduro races during the season here in Illinois and go just to have fun and practice other weekends. My bike is a KTM 300 Enduro, which I love. KTMs are my favorite with Husquavarna my second favorite Enduro bike. KTMs have great low end torque, a more plush ride without sacrificing performance, and a ton of power. We usually tow 3 or 4 bikes, and then there needs to be enough room for 3 or 4 people plus all the equipment we need to take out there. Even with my '97 Tahoe, it's a full load.

My Tahoe pulls the load just fine. But my friends Landcruiser had all sorts of problems. It would go into and out of overdrive all the time. We once had to have the transmission oil changed during a trip to Michigan one year, when the tranny started overheating. We were towing 4 bikes and 4 people, but it seemed strange to me that it would have that problem. Plus it was damn cramped in there with our equipment.

Ron
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    paisan: I have to agree that the LX470 is substantially better designed for off-roading than an Escalade. But wouldn't you agree that its all window dressing and overkill since neither is likely to have a blade of grass touch their treads?

Wait a minute....did I say the design of the LX470 is overkill? I'm starting to sound like an anti-suver and I must have enterred this forum instead of the "I hate suvs..." by mistake:)
    For this country where we are full of people who want image yep the LX470 is probably overkill. All the Poussers driving SUVs out there should be in Vans/Minivans with AWD, not REAL SUVs. The LX470 though is based on the Toyota Land Cruiser which is a world-class vehicle used in most countries as it was intended instead of as a SMV or country-club vehicle. I'm just sick of all the Pousers out there with SUVs....

-mike
  • plunderplunder Member Posts: 6
    I am considering the purchase of a new Escalade and was wondering what cost experiences any of you have had...How far below or above invoice you had to pay?
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    All the Poussers driving SUVs out there should be in Vans/Minivans with AWD, not REAL SUVs.
    I'm just sick of all the Pousers out there with SUVs....

Yeah, I'm with ya on that one...uh, who's that? PAISAN???? Holy schmoley!

I thought you wuz one of us for a second there ;-)

What's all this about a pickup with an enclosed rear going for $50,000? :-O
  • stacystacy Member Posts: 91
    Tell the manufacturers to make a SAFE, RELIABLE, AWD VAN with a LARGE TRUNK and lots of LUXURY to seat at least 6! So sick of hearing all you guys whining about "poussers"!
    See the new GM full-sized vans.

Also check out the Custom vans, tell me that 6 capatians chairs, TV etc are not mor comfy than the escalade? :)

Anyway I won't rant anymore in here, just find it funny that I doubt any Escalades will be doing this http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/pb-5-05-02/index.html or http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/unf-04-26-02/index.html :)

-mike

Well, I don't agree with anyone that despises SUVs have the audacity to tell anyone they should only buy a Minivan/van. SUVs, vans, sports cars, exotics, wagons, luxury cars suit different people with different tastes. So what is the problems of badging SUVs? SUVs are not my cup of tea but I do like them and maybe one day own one. Minivans are ugly and has no personality.

Anyhow, I will stop ranting but in the June issue of Motor Trend, there was a great comparison test of the 2003 Navigator vs. Escalades and ML 500 Benz and the Escalade won the comparison test. Although the Navigator was a major improvement over the previous model and has some more safety and power doo-dads than the Cadillac, it came up short in refinement, ride quality, looks, and performance. They said that the Escalade has set the standard of how the luxury SUV should be.

I came away shocked and had a predetermined mindset thinking the Escalade was going to be a dog, come finding out it bested the Navigator and ML 500.

J "Caddylac"
    I personally think that GM actually did something right with the Escalade. When you think of great American cars or years past, what do you think of? Is it the smaller cars, with the six cylinder engines? Or is it the outrageous size of a '50 Caddy Eldorado? Or the power of a Shelby Cobra, Charger, or Boss Mustang?

America has always done well with excess, and the Escalade and Navigator are prime examples of that. Heck, the new '03 Nav. even proves that Americans can build world class interiors (provided it doesn't fall apart in six months :)

Can anyone honestly say that all the Porsches, Ferraris, and even any car with >200HP is being used to it's fullest capacity?

Its the same with SUVs. My friend's father has a yellow 360 Modena, Automatic. He got the "F1" tranny b/c he couldn't drive a stick (poser); anyway, the car is purely a luxury item for him, not at all a performance item at all.

There are many other examples of people who buy a Porsche, even a manual Porsche, and go fast on the street, but never come close to a track, which is the only place one can fully exploit the car's abilities.

I bet the same proportion of SUV owners take their cars offroad as sportscar, and motorbike owners take their cars to the track. So, the msg. is: quit yer whinin'. :)

-Yammie
    Aren't just in SUVs. I'd tell the guy with the Modena to get a freekin Luxo car too!

People are always trying to be what they aren't! It's sad very sad.

-mike
  • nbownbow Member Posts: 5
    There is a Range Rover launch event in Chicago on Monday May 20th at the Museum of Contemporary Art. You'll be able to drive the New Range Rover. Call 1-877-480-8546 to RSVP for the event.
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    stacy: regarding your comments "Tell the manufacturers to make a SAFE, RELIABLE, AWD VAN with a LARGE TRUNK and lots of LUXURY to seat at least 6! So sick of hearing all you guys whining about "poussers"!"

Actually GM maybe be ahead of the curve on your request. The design of the Denali, Denali XL and the Escalade recognize that there is a larger market for a powerful, well handling suv that is rarely going to go off-road than there is for a luxury suv with Hummer-like off-road qualities.

Having owned various 4wd vehicles over 20 years, I came to quickly find that off-roading just was not a big enough part of my life to justify carrying around alot of extra hardware like 4wd lo that just never gets used. I couldn't be happier with the AWD setup in my Denali XL and am now convinced I would never want a vehicle without it (provided it has the power to compensate for the extra power needed).

I think GM and Ford (with the AWD Mountaineer) have recogized what customer's really want and I think we will find a whole lot more vehicles being designed with AWD than with trick 4wd systems that can boast about crossing 4 ft ditches, articulating over 2 ft boulders, or racing a cheetah on an African Safari.

The average American SUV owner just doesn't have a need for these capabilities and once consumer's realize the hype doesn't really match their needs, AWD will exceed 4wd systems with lots of bells and whistles that no one ever uses.
    GM is ahead of the curve even more, as this year they will introduce the first Full-size Vans (yep full-sized vans) with AWD.

-mike
  • rfruthrfruth Member Posts: 630
    May 17, 2002 Watauga, N.C. -- General Motors Corp. is being sued by a man who says mold in his Cadillac sport-utility vehicle caused permanent injuries that left him suffering chronic depression and unable to work.

http://www.auto.com/industry/iwire17_20020517.htm
  • dapetrundapetrun Member Posts: 15
    Can anyone offer their specific recomendation on a hood mounted bug/wind deflector for the 2002 Escalade? I'm looking for manufacturer and model that does NOT cause additional cabin air noise and provides some protection for stone chips on the windshield. I have numerous chips in the glass and I don't tailgate!
    Escalade EXT is well-built, very luxurious

Steve
    Host
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steve
    Host
  • truckfevertruckfever Member Posts: 2
    I'm aware of the sticker info but wondered about actual mpg? It annoys me that it requires premium fuel and the poor mileage indicated is a double turn off. Otherwise I love the truck. I was offered 1% above invoice - is this normal or was it a great deal? Your comments would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Do you mean 1% over factory invoice or 1% over sticker and are calling that the invoice? 1% over factory invoice is an awesome deal. Just find out which "invoice" they are talking about.

Ron
  • truckfevertruckfever Member Posts: 2
    A Jacksonville FL dealer offered (in writing) 1% over factory invoice and pulled the actual invoice out of their files. Coupled with two separate $2000 incentives made it very appealing but I prefer digital instrumentation.