Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Escalade

Comments

• lambeth1lambeth1 Member Posts: 2
    I have been quoted $800/month tax inc. with $2,000 out of pocket for a 3 yr/ 36k lease has anyone had a better quote? I am in Fl.
  • bolkerbolker Member Posts: 30
    Boy it's a large laundry list. Instead of listing it all here, just follow this link.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/ART_2003_previewmain.shtml

Ron

• joe_jensenjoe_jensen Member Posts: 27
    I've used Husky mud flaps on a 2001 Yukon XL and they were great. Anything comparible for Escalades?
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I have read throug all these messages and I have seen one problem for squeaking rubber. Caddy must have really gotten this car right. I mean I read the MDX and RX boards and see tons more people complaining about problems there. This just makes me want my own escalade even more :)
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    No offense but it's really just a rebadged version of the GMC trucks, which have been out for a few years, so the bugs should have been worked out in the previous years. Not that it isn't w/o merit but take that into consideration.

-mike
  • navigator3740navigator3740 Member Posts: 279
    I am amazed. Certainly not my prior experience with Cadillac to have no problems. My last (and 3rd Cadillac) was a 1990, and it wasn't good,but it was better than its predessors. Nor is it what read on the other Cadillac boards even today. Perhaps I should give this truck a look.
    I know but look at the mdx came out in 2k as a 2k1 the ml has been out since 98 and they still know thy're service advisors by name. I think it is notable at least. I know it's not a billy goat off road like Isuzu's, soobs, jeep, lr or hummers but it does seem like one of the best luxury utes there is. It will probably come down to the escalade and 2003 MDX unless the GX470 leases reasonably :)
    Although it's getting a bad rap as the Ghetto Hoopty :( Funny thing is the Hummer H2 is built off the same platform! For onroad the Escalade is decent although like any SUV I'd have to question why not get an AWD Van or AWD mid-sized van (Safari has same interior room as a suburban) Oh that's right, image, forgot that! It's a great image vehicle though. (Country Clubs, Spas, Wall Street, etc)

-mike
    Ghetto Hoopty huh only if I put Jordans or Dub's and a quarter on it lol :) Know what I saw an axiom with duece dueces on it this week wonder how much off roading he is doing :P
  • glamourlifeglamourlife Member Posts: 49
    Any news on how the Escalade measures up to the new H2 and Navigator? As for the Ghetto hoopty comments, the inner city is always on the leading edge of cultural trends. Whether its music, fashion, or automobiles many of the hottest products gain mainstream momentum after attaining their street credentials.

The fact that Cadillac has resurged with this market segment is a boon to GM. 5 years ago it was all about Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus. Today, Cadillac, GMC, Hummer, etc have all vaulted into that mix. And as for aspirational targets, you can't see a rap video without a Bentley. Bentley's sales have increased 200% in the past several years and you better believe that professional athletes, entertainers, and ghetto superstars are responsible for that.
    They are built on the same chassis!

-mike
  • baron87baron87 Member Posts: 93
    The H2 is built on a modified version of the Suburban platform which the Escalade ESV is built on.
    is the LWB version of the Escalade/Denali/Yukon/Avalanche

-mike
    But the Escalade has more HP, Torque, and features. They drive completely differently too. GM has the truck and SUV category covered on all bases.
    Anyone know when the DVD in dash navigational system will be available on the Escalade? Will it be an item that can be retrofitted?
  • js237js237 Member Posts: 13
    I just purchased a new 02, silver sand, sunroof. I bought it at invoice ("dealer's cost"), got an addtional $2000 off from GM, and because we owned an Expediton we got an additional $1500 off. 0% finance for 5 years, 0 down, no payments untill Jan. 15th. So I paid $3,500 below dealer invoice.

I surprised my wife and she loves it.
  • haplologyhaplology Member Posts: 28
    What are realistic prices for 02 or 03 models? Sounds like invoice is possible for the 02, how about the 03? The $2000 off from js237 - is that a standard GM discount for all models, just the 02, or what?

Thanks.
  • sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    The DVD Navigation is available on the 2003 Escalades and its over variant models like the EXT and ESV. However, I am not sure if they will put them at the beginning of the first roll off assembly on the 2003s as options or have them at a later date. They may be available first of the year but however, they are available.

I also remember some posts ago you did not care much for the Escalade. You been liking them some time now or you like them but the SUV is not your cup of tea?

J "CaddyLac"
  • goodnathangoodnathan Member Posts: 2
    Doesn't it seem that adding so many different variants to the Escalade takes away from the panache of the original? In my opinion, the ESV doesn't look nearly as attractive as the original, or as classy as the Denali XL. When the 2002 first came out, I thought that an XL sized Caddy was a good idea, but now that I've seen it, I'm not so sure. The interior will be a welcome spot, but outside I think it lacks effect that is achieved by the original. I have my doubts on the sales of this variant. If it was me, the Denali XL would be my choice long before the new ESV.

At first, I didn't like the new gauge cluster for 2003. I was a fan of the so called 'racer-gauges' in the '02's. The steering wheel looked unproportioned. Now that I've been in one, I've changed my mind. The steering wheel is an improvment (on the Denali, it feels much thicker), I still miss the gauges and I am puzzled over the dissapearance of the onboard computer.
  • escaladeloveerescaladeloveer Member Posts: 1
    i'm doing a project for school and i have to know the EPA mileage (the mileage that is on the speedometer) for a new 2003 Cadillac Escalade.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You should be able to find what you need here and a lot more! Good luck.

tidester, host

• cdooley2cdooley2 Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me how js237 Post number 590 got the 2000.00 discount from GM?
  • js237js237 Member Posts: 13
    At the time, GM was offering both $2000 back and O,0,0, on the 2002
  • navigator3740navigator3740 Member Posts: 279
    So, reading above, there is some improvement (or not, according to some) to the Dash and instruments for 2003? Because the Chevy truck dash and knobs are a real turn off in an otherwise gorgeous vehicle. If so, I'll look again, because another Navigator was likely to come home based on what I see over there for 2003.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    Did anyone see the report on ABC News on Fri Dec 27th?

There is a tax credit (loophole) for people who buy large SUV's (over 6000lbs). it was meant for farmers, but they didn't take into consideration that the Escalade, Navigator, etc weigh so much, and thus qualify.

Has anyone done this?
    That's common I know several doctors who bought Navigators for just that reason.

-mike
  • swanny1swanny1 Member Posts: 3
    What is everybody else paying for an '03 Escalade, AWD, fully loaded? I was quoted a "invoice price" of $53,140.00. MSRP of ($57,134) What should I be able to buy it for??? Thanks for the help on this!! I am trying to buy my first cadillac.

Also, will the new incentives on Jan 3rd be any better than the current deals??
    What is the going rate for an '02 with 15,000 miles? I know they take a big hit the first year.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The invoice should start at $48,683 (before options and destination, ad fees etc.). Click on the New link and drill down to your model (something like this).

For the '02, try the Used link and you'll get something like this. Try the Customized Button there to adjust for miles, color, zipcode, etc.

See you next year!

Steve, Host

What kinda deals has everyone else got on an '03 Escalade? How much will the average dealer go below invoice?? Thanks for the help.
    "One thing's for sure with the 2003 Cadillac Escalade EXT — its comfort, ride, power and road presence have no equal on the road."

Road Test: 2003 Cadillac Escalade EXT

Steve, Host

• force98force98 Member Posts: 81
    Can anyone tell me if wheels from a '99 Escalade will fit an '02 Escalade? I found an awesone set of 4 Neeper 18" wheels mounted with Toyo Proxes ST 285/60VR18 high performance tires. They came off of a '99, and I can't get a straight answer if they changed bolt pattern/off-set on 2nd generation Escalade. Thanks!
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    They'll fit, it's the same bolt pattern. Hope this helps!
  • bigpapa84bigpapa84 Member Posts: 1
    Ok...I'm not very experienced at all in shopping for a new Luxury SUV, but I've just come upon a very large sum of $$$ and am in the market for either a Navigator, Escalade, or Yukon Denali. I plan to purchase the vehicle and have it fully customized by West Coast Customs in L.A. I was just wanting some experienced opinions. Which is better -- The Escalade, Navigator, or Yukon Denali? P.S. I know that the Escalade and Denali are basically manufactured by the same company. Thanks in advance for any input!
  • genec29genec29 Member Posts: 1
    I am planning on buying one.Could use some help in comparing both.Thanks for any advice that is given.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I cannot comment on the escalade's drive because I have never driven one. I just purchased a 2003 Navigator ultimate with every option available. Although looks are a highly subjective matter, I prefer the Gator's styling inside and out. It has (again, just my opinion) a more elegant,classy look than the escalade. The interior of the new gators have been improved dramatically.

The navigator drives smoothly and has a nice tight feel when turning. It feels like you are driving a much smaller vehicle. What really sold me on the gator were the power fold flat third row, the hid lights, the extended rear parking assist, and the power liftgate (most or all of these features aren't available in the escalade). I hear the 4WD escalade has 345HP, while the 2WD has less than the navigator's 300HP. So if you are going with 2WD, the Gator will have more ponies (I live in flat, snow free Florida and have no need for the added expense and weight of a 4WD system). The Navigator also has an "advance track" feature which should kick in in very slippery situations or in heavy cornering. To me, the engine is just fine; it accelerates well and has smooth shifting. Also, Lincoln is offering free maintenance on these trucks for 3 years/36K miles -- you pay for the car and for gas, everything else is on them.

Annoyingly, my gator has been in the shop (already) for some suspension work, but my Lincoln service reps are always very accommodating when I go in. This truck comes with a load-leveling air suspension system (this is what was malfunctioning) that makes the truck sit level regardless of who's sitting where or what cargo you are carrying.

I have been in the Escalade at car shows and found the interior to be too similar to other GM products. If the Escalade had a better third row, a nicer dash, and more conservative front-end styling I would have seriously considered it.

I would think both vehicles would satisfy you in general, it just depends on your tastes. One more tidbit, the Navigators shipping from the factory now come with a DVD navigation system (almost identical to the lexus system) as an option. The Escalade (I think) does not offer a navigation option.

Any way you look at it, you are fortunate to be able to purchase these class of vehicles. Good luck and happy shopping!
  • swizzleswizzle Member Posts: 2
    I know that the Hummer is the best offroad SUV and that the X5 sucks....but what about the escalade?? can i go camping deep in the forest?? climb over curbs during rush hour?

I can't seem to find any information on this subject??
    The Escalade is marginal at best offroad.

It can probably handle curbs w/o too much issue, so long as you go up at an angle. How deep in the forest it goes, well that's debatable, if it's a forest service road you can most likely make it. If they are real offroad trails, I'd leave the bling bling and get something like a JGC, Trooper, Montero, or other Off-road vehicle that is suited for such environments.

Side note: The H2 is not as good of an offroad vehicle as the marketing hype would make it!

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Does the new escalade have AWD or does it have a center locking differential with part time 4wd options? I read an article in fourwheeler magazine last year that said the escalade got stuck with no wheels turning because the traction control/awd system was confused and wouldn't send power to any wheels?
    It only has AWD/Traction Control.

-mike
    The Real Texas Cadillac

Follow-Up Test: 2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Steve, Host
  • arennarenn Member Posts: 35
    Anybody heard any recent news on the rumored V-12 Escalade?
  • okphillipokphillip Member Posts: 5
    I want to understand this big suv thing but it doesn't make sense. I cringe everytime I see one of these wasteful, "get out of my way I'm bigger an badder than you" monstrosities. 12/16 mpg? Actually it's about 10/14 the way I see them bullying other motorists in the socially-conscious cars that get 20/27 mpg.

If everyone drove one of these gas-guzzling egotistical, "freedom of choice" purchases gas would be $3.00 and we'd have to go to war in the M. East to feed our untempered addiction that is spiraling out of control thanks to SUVs and Big trucks. Also 55K for a car built in Mexico? Who's buying these things!

I don't want to know if there's an after-life, I don't want to know the meaning of life, I DO WANT KNOW WHY SOMEOME WOULD BUY AN ESCALADE!
    Try I don't like SUVs, why do you? discussion for that question!

And what's wrong with Mexico? Wonderful people and the GM and VW auto plants down there have gotten good reports. You'd prefer that all the auto manufacturing leave North America for China?

Steve, Host
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Can't imagine needing a V-12 with the HP currently available from the 6.0L
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    OKPHILLIP asks why would someone buy an Escalade? Just read the post by BIGPAPA84. You know, the part about "I've just come upon a very large sum of $$$...". I think the answer is that the people like BIGPAPA with new money (that they will soon be relieved of), the world of pro sports (I was going to say athletes but that would have been a stretch), the high need/status insecure person, and the gold chain crowd account for the bulk (pardon the pun) of the buyers. But thats OK. They have to get to work too. They just look comical doing it.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I usually visit this board to see what's new in the lux suv segment, but it seems the topic has shifted to who would own one and why.

I find it interesting that owners of other lux SUV's (Rovers, LX 470 and its cousin Toyota Land cruiser, Mercedes, etc.) that cost much MORE than the Escalade do not get branded with the "yo bro look at me I am rich and you're not" label. You rarely (if ever) see any degrading comments on those vehicle's message boards.

I think Cadillac has this vehicle positioned exactly where it wants it to be in the market. Quite often I have the same "why would anyone buy that?" reaction (the Escalade pickup truck comes to mind) but I always remind myself that that is what makes life so interesting -- different tastes. I love to see the variety of vehicles out there -- from Civics to Navigators. All of this adds up to one big benefit for me -- CHOICES.

I looked at the Escalade as a possible purchase (and I'm sure I fit Cadillac's ideal customer description -- late 20's, new money, etc) but decided against it because it did not have some of the features that I wanted for me and my family. I ended up with an '03 Navigator, and believe it or not, snob appeal had little to do with it. The Navigator's less expensive brother Expedition would have been the "value-conscious" choice. But, after driving both vehicles the Navigator was simply on a different league both in ride quality and interior comfort. That, combined with the quality sales and service department treatment I receive at the Lincoln dealership versus the Ford "Automall" clinched the deal for me.

As far as the "destructive environmental impact" of these vehicles and other societal issues revolving around these trucks, I agree with our host that it belongs in the "I hate SUV" board.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...it belongs in the "I hate SUV" board.

Actually, it's I don't like SUVs, why do you?.

tidester, host
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Oh, I think gteach had it about right....