Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I saw all 4 tires on a 2004 Volvo C70 mostly driven in NYC with bubbles on every tire, both sidewalls. The car had around 20-25K miles. They, indeed were low profile tires, as you pointed out, but I do not recall the brand. There was at least 40% tread life on those tires. It was the first and last time I saw anything like that. These were GFT's.

Regards,
    OW
  • milesontimemilesontime Member Posts: 4
    So here's the deal my the runflats on my 330i:

1. I haven't inspected the INSIDE sidewalls, so don't know what's going on there.

2. Spoke with the nearby BMW dealership and they tell me bubbles are likely impact damage and, in all events, the tires are not covered by the BMW warranty, and instead I need to talk to Bridgestone.

3. Spoke with BMW corporate and they tell me that I need to talk with Bridgestone.

4. Spoke with Bridgestone and they said only 1% of tires are defective and that therefore my bubbles are cause by either impact damage (curbs, potholes, etc.) or mounting damage. They said I would have to take the car to a Bridgestone dealer and have the tires removed and inspected, but most likely they would determine that they are not covered by a warranty.

This strikes me as ridiculous. I have four tires with bubbles. My coworkers who drive the same roads do not have damaged tires. Obviously something is wrong with these tires.

Has anyone been successful in dealing with a situation like this?
    IMO, its probably not worth your time/stress...replace with Continental SSR's. These are good tires I have 10K on them now and they are quiet, handle better than the BS and wearing very well and even. $146 at Tirerack.com.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Continental&model=ContiProContact+S- SR

Regards,
    OW
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    The 330i that milesontime has the problems with has the Sport Package, and I don't believe that Continental has a low profile RFT that fits the rear wheels of that car.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    My bad. I would hate to recommend the BS again...any other options?

Regards,
    OW
    "...any other options?"

Well, as you and anybody who's even partially followed this discussion for a while knows (I assume that milesontime is a relatively new member which is why I'm making this post), I would suggest that milesontime buy four new GFTs and a can of Spare Tire in a Can or the Continental ContiComfortKit.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/conticomfortkit/index.jsp

I don't know if this is a solution that is acceptable for our new member, but there it is. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • highlandpetehighlandpete Member Posts: 46
    I'm not a fan of the Bridgestone RFT, as some will know from previous posts, but I do come to the defence of the need to check if it is 'impact' damage. Having spent time with a Bridgestone engineer, it is clear that many users run the tyres 'low' on pressure, to try and improve the ride quality. This is a main cause of premature wear and also can contribute to impact/pinch damage. So it can be common for more than one tyre to be damaged on a particular vehicle. What pressures are you running?

HighlandPete
  • dkg42dkg42 Member Posts: 11
    BMW is replacing defective bridgestone EL42 RFT's no charge for tires with less than 10k miles..50/50 split 10k-20k. It cost me $350 for 4 new EL42s..

Keep screaming at the dealership, keep calling BMW corporate to complain and file a complaint with you State Attorneys General, consumer afairs fraud division..make noise it helps
    In this case I'm highly skeptical that it will help. The fact of the matter is that milesontime does NOT have the defective EL42s. The other fact is that low profile tires are far more susceptible to road damage than the touring tires you have on your car, BMW even says so in all of their sales literature. More or less their warnings say that by buying the SP, you will get better handling at the expense of being far more vulnerable to tire and wheel damage from road hazards.

If, and I need to stress if, there are signs that these tires were damaged due to road hazards, and/or low inflation pressures, there is no way BMW or Bridgestone should be on the hook for new tires. You pays your money, you takes your chance.

The flip side of course is that IF both the inside AND the outside sidewalls are blistered (if it's just the outside sidewall, then that indicates encounters with curbs and such), AND IF the inside blisters aren't directly across from from an outside blister (which would indicate an encounter with a pot-hole or other road hazard), then anybody would have a very difficult time convincing me that these tires aren't defective.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • badbeatbadbeat Member Posts: 5
    These may indeed be impact bubbles.

On past cars I've owned, I've had situations where large potholes caused bubbles on two tires at once, especially on those with low profile tires. I don't know if you hit a lot of potholes, but it very well could be impact damage and not defective tires.

That said, I think these tires are crap, but the complaints that I've been hearing on these are related to premature tread wear.
  • dean112dean112 Member Posts: 2
    I could use a little help with the purchase of new tires. I have a 2006 BMW 330xi with 28,000 miles and currently have Bridgestone Turanza RFT 225/45/R17. I hate my current tires as the noise is awful and any pot hole or crack in the road feels like the world is going to end.

I live in Chicago and this is my only car so I definitly need all season tires. I'm not a car guy but I would like my new tires to not make any road noise and a softer ride so I don't feel like my car is going to fall apart when I go over a bump.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • dglassmdglassm Member Posts: 9
    I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport or Axalto great tires , in fact being used for the 2008 M3 (Sport). Why BMW insists on putting these bogus tires (rft) on the 3 beats me .
    If these tires and its associated spareless world are so great then why no rft in m3 and 5 series ?
  • rflrfl Member Posts: 100
    I put a set of Conti Pro Contact's on my 2006 330xi and am totally pleased. Quieter, don't lose nearly as many fillings when I hit a bump and they're going on 17000 miles with little tread wear showing. Best of the evils ! BTW...will NEVER buy another car with RFT's and no spare. I hear rumor that BMW is going to make them optional on the 2009 model year... it would be the ONLY reason I'd ever reconsider another BMW. FYI...my dealer replaced the horrid Bridgestone's at 4000 miles at NO CHARGE.
    Ditto on the Conti's. Actually, because of the performance of these tires, I am having less of a problem accepting the run flat scenario. Believe me, I know where you are coming from. My first flat when the car had about 5K miles was a horror show that cost me over $300 when all was said and done.

Continental RFT replacements for the 3'ers with 17" rims have comparable cost with GFT for the all-season tires.

I do completely agree that ALL car companies that adopt this should have an option to keep the spare tire if so chosen by the customer. I assume RFT's will grow more prevalent throughout the auto world quite soon.

Hopefully, they go back to dip sticks at BMW as well! :cry:

Regards,
    OW
    I would highly recommend the Nokian WR. I have them on my '07 328xi. They give great foul weather performance and have significantly cut down on the shocks from bumps that I experienced with the Turanzas. They're somewhat expensive (around $180 per tire on tiresbyweb.com), but worth it.
  • bemerbemer Member Posts: 20
    Do you have RFT or GFT? RFT's are $244.00 for 225/45R17....
    http://www.tiresbyweb.com/pc-6631-128-nokian-wr.aspx

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/pc-6631-128-nokian-wr.aspx
    Does anybody has any expierience with Nokian RFT?
  • dean112dean112 Member Posts: 2
    Everyone seems to think the continental tires are the way to go. Most people have suggested the contipro-contact or the contipro-contact SSR, which is the RFT model. Does anyone prefer either model or have experience on either one?
    Conti RFT's are great by me. I would buy these again, No question.

Regards,
    OW
  • jasondjasond Member Posts: 28
    I'm posting here even though my question is not about RFT. I could not find another active site for BMW tire discussions in the forums. I have a 2003 BMW 330xi without the sports package. It has about 14,000 miles on it. It came equipped with Continental ContiTouring Contact CV95 tires (205/50R 17 93V). I have been satisfied with the ride. The tires have not worn too well, however, and my BMW dealer recommends replacing them with the same tire now (i.e. after about 4 years). When I have looked up reviews at Discount Tire and Tire Rack most buyers have found that these tires (i.e. the Continentals) don't wear well, as has been my experience. The Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S Tire is very well reviewed by buyers. Tire Rack offers it for the BMW, but Discount Tire does not even list it for the BMW. My BMW dealership states that the Michelin is not a recommended tire for my 2003 330xi and that I might not be satisfied with how it runs on the car despite all the good reviews with other vehicles. Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter? Should I stay with the original tire that came with the car i.e. the Continentals or try a Michelin or any other tire that you can recommend? Thanks, Jason
  • kod1kod1 Member Posts: 2
    I just took my BMW in for service with 21000 miles stating it was very loud riding. They explained that my run flats are due to be replaced. The cost of replacing them is $995, This is a crime, I am advising anyone who looks to purchase a car with these tires DO NOT DO IT.

They are loud, offer less mileage, can not be plugged you must purchase new ones. The will however sell you a warrantee for them for $779!!!! normal wear not included.

I guess my questions when looking at a new car and it will not be a BMW ( Owned 7 and now done )will involved they tires.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, you did find the right place! All it takes is one post to wake up a discussion and that's what happened. ;)

Let's continue this thread here: jasond, "BMW 3-Series Tires and Wheels" #63, 7 Aug 2007 11:25 am.
  • kod1kod1 Member Posts: 2
    I just took my 06 to the BMW dealer with 21K miles on it they told me the Bridgstoone run flats need to be replaced... $995... the tire are terrible Turanza EL 42 205/55 R16 91 H. Any recommendations on another brand or model?
    I have RFTs, though my tire size is different. I went for the base wheels, so my tires are 205/55 R16. I guess the choice depends on how important bad weather traction is to you. These tires are a dramatic improvement over any all season that I've driven, but if you tend not to go out in all temperature conditions, it may not be worth it to pay the premium over the Contis.

You might try talking to a local tire dealer,as mine was able to give me the tires for the same price as Tires by Web, with full installation and balancing included.
  • yakrideryakrider Member Posts: 4
    i am thinking of buying an bmw 328i wagon. from what i hear and read the tires are run flats and junk. they will wear out fast and possibly ruin the wheels and on top of that neither the dealership or the tire companies will do anything about this other than make you pay for whatever is wrong.
    will the dealer swap tires on the new car before leaving the lot? can the run flats be replaced with more traditional tires? or must i always use run flats on this car? does one need to put a spare in the car somewhere at that point? does anyone know if there is a cavity in the wagon where a spare can be put? should i keep the 16" standard wheels or move to the 17" wheel/tire? which is less susceptible to damage and more of a comfortable and long lasting tire? this will be a daily driver in pa. and in winter as well. i'm just looking for ideas as to how to make this car/tires work in my situation. sorry to not be so well informed but i don't want to spend alot of money and then in a few months be on the hook for hundreds or a thousand more. any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated. thanks
  • shangtishangti Member Posts: 3
    I bought a bmw 382i three months ago from Valencia BMW (outside of LA). On Monday of this week, I ran over a nail. I took the car to the dealership for replacement. The dealership did not carry a 328i Sports edition run flat tire (which makes no sense, since they sell the car) and so I had to order the tire from a 3rd party vendor, send it up to Valencia BMW and have them install, rotate, etc. which cost me $382, incl. tax - the tire was $328 and the tire was the passenger back right tire.

On Wednesday of this week, less than 48hours later, I ran over a screw with the new passenger back right tire (although, we wondered if the dealership accidently ran over the tire with a screw, prior to re-install). After the screw issue, I drove to the dealership. The service advisor tested the pressure of the tire - and it was at ZERO - how is that possible for running over a tiny screw? I asked the dealership to replace the tire - at their cost - and thus no charge to me, since it was less than 48 hours and the dealership and BMW stressed unparell service. They declined and the service manager blew me off after saying he would call me back.

My option - buy another run flat tire. I know my story is not directly tied to the short life tire - but, I have never had a superior tire with a tiny screw drop to ZERO pressure - oh the drive to the dealership was less than 20 miles from where it happened.
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    OK, so its not a BMW 3-series. But it is a BMW product. We added a 2007 Mini Cooper S to our long-term fleet, and even before the test officially began we picked up a nail in its right-rear Dunlop RFT.

Tire unavailability, high prices - the issues are the same. The full story and responses are here.

The TPMS system worked great, though. That's the must-have part of the equation for me.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• adethieradethier Member Posts: 16
    the quick answer here is that there is no cavity for a spare. We were anxiously waiting for the new convertible, but after our mishap with the run flats (http://h-otch-p-otch.blogspot.com/2007/04/bmw-with-run-flat-tires.html) , we decided we'll wait until BMW decides to put spares back into their cars ... at least donuts.
    If you do plan on long trips, such as in the mountains or between cities (such as driving from LA to San Francisco) i would stay away from these cars as there is no support infrastructure. Read my story and you'll see that the flat bed tow truck driver confirmed that the new 3 series was its best customers. Digging into these forums will only confirm this.
    On a side note, I've been checking out Audis (and been quite pleasantly surprised by how good they've become) as we get ready to unload or 325.
    Good luck to you.
  • rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    The sad part of your post is that you are so right in feeling unsafe driving the RFT for fear of getting stranded.
    We have a '06 3 series and a '02 xiT. The former becomes our daily driver and the latter is the car we take for vacation and long stretch drives. BMW did us right by replacing the four RFT with the Continentals free of charge but it doesn't take away the worry of having a "flat" without ready replacement. I think BMW might lose some business due to this factor. I know when we need to replace one of our cars, the car will not have RFT unless such tires become prevalent in availability. Not a chance in the next couple years.
  • be325be325 Member Posts: 91
    Perhaps I misread some posts (about a flat with RFT) but I wonder why would I have to replace/buy a new (RFT) tire if the problem was a nail? Am I missing something?
    When I got a flat (GFT but I think it should work on RFT as well), I got a can of a Fix-Flat from my trunk, inflated the tire enough to drive to a place that put a 'plug' and then we continued on our trip. This was faster and easier than putting the spare on. I also cary a very small 12V ($25) compressor which I use at home to keep the recommended pressure in my tires .... it works for me. I never had a big whole in the tire though.
  • yakrideryakrider Member Posts: 4
    is it possible to replace run flats with "normal" tires or are the cars (bmw 3 series) just set up to accept and use run flats? are there runflats that are durable and long lasting? i was all set to go and get the wagon but after hearing the horror stories and the expense associated with it i will have to wait. do you think this is a problem (durability and expense) that will be correct in the future and the industry advances or not? thanks
  • greenetire1greenetire1 Member Posts: 1
    we have a 2007 328xi with Bridgstone runflat tires EL42FZ. I have 5890 miles on the car. One of the front tires has two bubbles. Can you direct me to BMW of Bridgestone documentation confirming they will replace the tire at no charge?
  • shangtishangti Member Posts: 3
    The dealer told us that if you plug it, that it tends to rust through and will leak at some point. Highly does not recommend it. We have no spare - it does not come with one for the sports package 328i 2007.

We plugged it anyway. An added bonus: I located the VP of Customer Service's name and phone number. I called and now I have someone to assist me in this issue.

Take that Valencia BMW!!!!!
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    The reason you are suppose to replace a punctured RFT is that normal tires - when run low - will show the damage to the sidewall if there is any. RFT's don't show this damage - it is hidden under the stiff insert that makes it a "RunFlat". Since you can't see this damage, you could be facing a blowout up to thousands of miles later - and it would be bad if this happened at high speed. The only warning would be some slight bulging, but this is extremely difficult to detect and you really have to be paying attention to your tires.
  • ggurr54ggurr54 Member Posts: 30
    It is my impression at this time that RFT cannot be repaired. NO matter how small the whole the tire must be replaced not repaired. This is a real disadvantage. How many times have you used a tire until replacment without ever having to have it repaired at least once. I really want to buy a BMW but this issue with the tires will probably steer me back to an Infiniti or Lexus.
    You have hit upon one of the main problems with this technology. The cost is prohibitive until future generations of these the tires can be repaired/reused.

As of now, replce the tires for optimmum safty. Reuse after repair is fool's folley!

Regards,
    OW
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Now correct me if I'm wrong here...BMW is giving you a $350 RFT that you can't fix if punctured, in order that you don't get a puncture on a $150 GFT that is repairable but that requires a $100 tow bill?

Aside from those who drive at night in the desert, how does this serve the consumer?
  • adethieradethier Member Posts: 16
    driving at night in the desert is even the worse case scenario as when RFT blows, the will soon after break down and decompose as ours did after 40 miles... crappy technology if you ask me! (here's the full story: http://h-otch-p-otch.blogspot.com/2007/04/bmw-with-run-flat-tires.html)
    oops! That link seems busted.
    You are correct! This does not serve the customer and is wasteful to boot! But...Conti RFT's are $146 at tire rack for the 17". I assume additional mfgr. RFT's at a reasonable price will become available for the other diameter rims going forward.

What I would envision for the future is an RFT that could also be repaired. If the cost is more, the ability for repairing a "typical flat tire" would mitigate some of the added cost.

In other words, the EL-42 tire I kept which suffered from a simple puncture (from a screw in the middle of the tread) should have been road worthy after repair DESPITE the fact I drove on it for 100 miles. There is no visible sidewall/tread damage or visible stress to the inner tire. The story is inside of the rubber. This is a waste at this point in the technology. The advantage to me was it got me to my destination during a zero pressure event.

Regards,
    OW
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    ..no doubt about 100 miles out in the desert, but getting stuck with a flat on the Cross Bronx Expressway doesn't appeal either.

And a 50 mph limit is just that. I frequently see cars with a donut on being driven at 65 to 70.
    Well I wouldn't MIND a RFT, but I would mind paying for it after every flat.
  • rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    I am not sure people should follow the recommendation to the letter. That is; replacement after each flat. BMW doesn't recommend repair for the non RFT either according to the manual. It is for the liability reason. The way to handle this matter is based on common sense. I had a nail on the RFT tire and drove it for 35 miles. The nail was right in the center, so I had it plugged. It has worked fine. Had I have to drive 100 miles to get help, I probably want to replace it. The whole idea of having a tire pressure monitor built in is to help you learn about the problem early on to take proper measures, IMO.
    It seems to make sense but I would not advise repairing/reusing after running any tire with zero pressure for any given distance. The reason is non-visible damage to the inner belts that is not apparent could result in a very unsafe event going forward at any given time. It's just not worth the risk, IMHO.

Regards,
    OW
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    Yes, but the key phrase here is zero pressure. In the Mini example I gave in post #1252 we never let the tire get anywhere near that point. It never ran flat, or even severely low. Fixing a nail-hole in an RFT or any other tire is technically fine in a case like that.

But some dealers and tire stores are hiding behind lawyers and telling folks they can't be repaired AT ALL. Since they can't know the tire's run-flat history before they get their hands on it, I guess I can understand that POV. But it also feels like an excuse to sell more tires.

If carmakers and retailers who deal with RFTs hold the "cannot repair" line firm in simple nail-hole cases like the one cited above, count me out - especially at the current x2 or x3 price premium.

TPMS is where the lion's share of the benefit lies anyway.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• jbrock22jbrock22 Member Posts: 18
    Simply carry tire goop and a mini compressor. Use the goop, add air, off you go. If the punture is that large that the goop does't hold pressure, the tire is history anyway. Do not drive on a RFT without air pressure, unless you want to purchase a new one. RFT tires are fixable just as any GFT tire is. Next subject.
    The tire experts tell me that if your monitoring system is not accurate, or if you are not paying STRICT attention to the pressures, you will experience premature wear and noise with RFTs.

I'm still inquiring from expert tire shops in my area (those who do high end cars, racing cars, etc) as to what's what with repairing an RFT---the do-s and don't-s.
  • rlathamrlatham Member Posts: 50
    I have 24,500 miles on my run flats on my 2006 325i (non sport package). Everyone here is correct that the tires are obnoxiously loud early on (mine were loud at the 15k mark).

I haven't noticed, however, some of the other things that people on the forum have complained about. IE foul weather performance problems. I have a manual transmission which might be why, but I've found if you're patient and smart about where you're going you won't get stuck. I only had one evening where I didn't make it home in the car...and that's because someone traded a 2006 C320 4Matic into my dealership so I took it.

When it's all said and done though, I'm getting an additional wheel at the BMW dealership tomorrow and when I replace my tires next month, they will not be run-flats.
  • dkg42dkg42 Member Posts: 11
    My Bridgestone RFT's were replaced at 17K miles..they were noisy as hell. BMW split the cost as they were part of a "defetctive lot", so I paid $350 for 4 new EL-42's. After 4500 miles, one of the new RFT's got a smail nail in it, resulting in a very slow leak. BMW refused to repair it, so I had the tire replaced, at a charge of $232. The techs scored the rim , changing the tire so I demanded that the dealer refund the full price of the tire and they agreed to repair or replace the rim. What sucks is the mileage differnce between 3 out of 4 tires.

How do you rotate these?
    I advise front to back on the same sides IF all dimensions of the tires/rims are the same. I do not think the mileage will make that much of a difference. The same happened to me at 5K miles with a new tire and no issues up until 13K (all tires replaced). Also, my shop damaged the rim. I am amazed BMW dealer ruined the rim. :confuse:

Regards,
    OW
    You have to be careful with the RFTs in taking them off and you need up to date tire equipment. You can't be using 20 year old machinery.

Also it's easy to break the pressure sensor, if say you have the sensor 180 degrees out from the point of where you are breaking the tire.

So with carelessness and cranky old equipment, you can very easily wipe out the rim and the sensor.