Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• blueroadblueroad Member Posts: 10
    Our dealer offered us the M-series inflater kit for 50% off, but I haven't taken them up on it. But I assume they prefer NON-run-flats on the M with just a kit to seal up and reinflate the tire. We really like the 325 with non-run-flat Michelins.
  • woody1241woody1241 Member Posts: 2
    Good information, just called the dealer and told them Conti tires or we would pass on the car. Cancelled delivery for tomorrow pending their decision on different tires. Many thanks. Its so tempting to accept such a nice car, not worth the problems later.
  • elanzillottaelanzillotta Member Posts: 6
    Hey guys,

I've got an 07 335 with 15k on it. I know run flat performance tires don't last that long but I've already had to replace one tire a couple of months ago and I just discovered a bubble in a second tire today (most likely due to potholes and crappy streets in Los Angeles). And as you know the potenzas cost a pretty penny. My question to you guys is:

1) Do any of you buy another set of less expensive (non run flat) performance/sporty everyday driving tires and swap them for everyday use? I'd just have to buy a jack and a spare I suppose. And once the lease is up you can just put the run flats back on? If so, what specific tires do you recommend?

2) If the above is not recommended, what websites can you find good deals on Potenza's. Or if you're in the LA area, what tire shops can you recommend.

Any advice is well appreciated. I'm sure I could find the answer by going back and reading some of the thousands of posts but I'm crunching on time here.

Thanks, Eric L. :confuse:
  • woody1241woody1241 Member Posts: 2
    Has Bridgestone corrected there noise and wear problems? I am about to take delivery on a new 2008 series 3 convertible and it has these tires. Dealer said the tires were produced well after Bridgestone corrected the problem.
  • rflrfl Member Posts: 100
    DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT TAKING DELIVERY of the car with Bridgestone RFT's. Insist on the Continental Conti Contac SSR tires...if they won't deliver them with the Contis...take a pass on the car. Dealers are LIARS. They CAN delivery the car with the Continental tires if they make the effort. Do NOT accept any excuses. I have a new 2008 335XI with the Contis and have found the combination of these tires and what seems to be an improved suspension to be very acceptable. This is my 5th Beemer...the second with RFTs. The Bridgestone tires I had before STINK with a capital "S" ! Woody... do yourself a huge favor and heed the warning... NO BRIDGESTONES. PERIOD !
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    1) Do any of you buy another set of less expensive (non run flat) performance/sporty everyday driving tires and swap them for everyday use? I'd just have to buy a jack and a spare I suppose. And once the lease is up you can just put the run flats back on? If so, what specific tires do you recommend?

I would switch over to GFT's (Go Flat Tires) They are much cheaper to replace and are less hassle to repair. if you live in a major city you can get by with a can of fix a flat. Tire Rack sells a repair kit.
    I'd take the RFT's off and put them in my basement until it's time to trade in the car.
    Believe me you'll save money and have more options if you don't worry about RFT's.
    I need a spare so I'd just buy a stock rim and put in in the trunk and tie it down with bungee cords or something.
    If you live in the boonies or snow country my area is both , you need snow tires anyway and RFT's won't cut it for snow and ice. Note, you will still need snow tires even if you get an xi if you live in a snowy area.
    BMW really needs to offer non-RFT's at least as an option. MINI too for that matter. I didn't buy the BMW 335i this time because of the RFT hassle. The Sport package has staggered sizes front and rear so quite a lot more for rims AND GFT's and no excuse for that on a $40K+ car. Be easier if the SP was offered with all the same size tire on all 4 wheels.
    But GFT's and a spare is the way to go. A jack with a case will set you back $25 or so.
    Make sure the jack you buy will fit under the car. I used to use a mini hydraulic on another car and it worked great and was easy but cost me like $50 and took up a lot more room than a scissor jack, heavier too.
  • drrocketdrrocket Member Posts: 67
    I had an agreement with my CA to swap the tires for Conti SSRs if my car came with Bridgestones. "No problem, not to worry, I'll take care of it, lots of cars in stock with Contis"... until my 328i SP sedan arrived with Bridgestones and he suddenly realized that this model takes 17" staggered -sized tires -- no Contis whatsoever on the lot satisfying this requirement. I suspected this was going to be the case so I was not surprised, just disappointed, especially after all his reassurances. The CA was apologetic, and probably somewhat embarrassed, that he hadn't anticipated the discrepancy.

I would attempt to nix the deal based on this broken promise, however, I think the CA tried but was unable to locate any 17" staggered-sized Conti SSRs in any of the neighboring BMW dealerships either. Again, I wasn't too surprised, especially considering even Tire Rack has had the rear-sized Conti SSRs on backorder for quite a while, with no ETA in sight. :(
  • larry175larry175 Member Posts: 68
    bovine feces...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    On the positive side.... most of the reports that had problems with Bridgestone run-flats were cars with all-season runflats..

There weren't too many reports of problems with Sport package, summer run-flats...

Of course, most people complain about all the sport package tires, once they find their rears are wearing out at 20K miles... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Guess what?....Tirerack has ALL of the Conti's you could want in any size so the dealer can order them for you in a day and save the sale....or let him give you $600 off the price and buy your own. HE CAN AFFORD IT, believe me. Taking delivery of the car with Bridgestone tires is a HUGE MISTAKE! WARNING... take heed...DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT spend your hard-earned bucks on a beautiful car with THIRD RATE TIRES... tell the dealer to find you Conti's or buy something else.
  • cooljc74cooljc74 Member Posts: 23
    Need your help.

My dealer is offering this for 3 years; repair or replace; excluding normal wear.
    Protection is offered by JMI something.
    He says it's honored by almost all BMWs.
    I mainly travel in the south - AL, TN, SC, GA, FL.
    I had 3 flats on GFT's with my other car in the past a year or so and I was glad I had purchased this program with a tire retailer.

Q
    Is this worth getting?
    Does the cost sound reasonable?
    If you purchased it in the past, please describe your experience with dealers & etc.

Sounds like a very good deal considering a high cost of replacing a RFT.

Thanks in advance!
  • tlaw3tlaw3 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2006 3 series with less then 40k on I am replacing my second set of Bridgestone tires today... with my frustration that is why I am here.... have a 328 loaner with Conti tires from dealer and there is no noise! Car is in for service got bad news need another set of four tires that is the cause of the very loud noise in my car... dealer recomended Conti tires so here it goes 3rd set of tires in less than two years?? with very normal driving style?!! Hope Conti's are better than Bridgestone
  • ajfinoakajfinoak Member Posts: 58
    I had an '06 325 that was bought back under the CA Lemon Law by BMW due to an engine noise they could not repair. I enjoyed many things about the car but did not get another and the run flats were a big issue for me. In less than 1 year, I had nails in 3 different tires (did get them repaired) and almost got stranded in rural Northern CA with the last nail- hundreds of miles from home on a Sunday thus no place to find a run flat replacement. I had the SP and loved the seats and the handling but the ride was really hard on No CA potholed roads. (I have an "01 Acura that I drove the same routes as when I had the BMW but never had a flat so it was not due to a road hazard). I will not give BMW more $ until they resolve the run flat issue or offer an alternative.
  • new0rdernew0rder Member Posts: 9
    Finally my run flat tire light came on this morning as I was driving. I stop off and check there it was my front right tire Turanza EL42 part of it exposed. I was thinking driving it the set for 3000 more mile it only made it to 1000 mile almost.

what can I do now? order the Continental contiprocontact SSR and let the dealer install it? I don't have much time.

damn tirerack had them Back Order :(
    Just call my dealer they have the tire but they charging $165 each + $44 labor mount. each tire, so for 4 set is $836

damn. compare to $120 each Tirerack sell it.
    So I ate it, paid total of $865.43 for 4 Continental ContiPro Contact SSR 205/55/16 RFT.

The results, Its definate night and day. Its like the first day I drove it off the lot. I love driving again, sooo smooth. Shame that BMW don't alert theor customer, I had to get this feeling again from my own pocket.
  • dasht69dasht69 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2006 BMW 325xi in early Jan 06 and had a lot of the same problems that some of you have mentioned (tire noise at 11,000 miles with Bridgestone EL42s, it drove me insane....), I am on my third set of tires and I have just under 31,000 miles. Is this normal? I just put 4 new Continental All Weather RFTs on my car and I'm curious, when will I have to replace my tires again? Will I get noise again at 11,000 miles of tire wear like I did with the Turanzas? (Pulling my lack of hair out here, as I just spent close to $1000 to replace my second set of Bridgestones and have the dealer perform a wheel alignment....). When will I need to replace my tires again (assuming standard tread wear, I live in Northwest Florida, an area with really terrible roads and, unfortunately, it's own fair share of potholes)?
  • blueroadblueroad Member Posts: 10
    We were told the Continentals were better, but frankly, BMW had lost its credibily after their misdirections on the Bridgstones. We swapped out for Michelin MXV4 non_runflats, and the improvement is amazing. We'll take our chances with regular tires and a can or two of inflater goo if we're stranded.

BMW is pushing noisy tires that wear out too soon, can't be repaired, cost $200-$300 to replace, and ruin the enjoyment of the car. It's like playing with wooden sneakers in the NBA. But it will cost you about $700 to swap out for Air-Michelins.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    ". . .playing with wooden sneakers in the NBA."

Excellent -- phrase of the week. Enjoy your tires. If I pick a BMW in the next few weeks, I'll need to pony up for real tires, just as you've done.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • kirkrkirkr Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2006 325xi. Replaced the Bridgestone EL42's at 19,000 miles with the Continental all weather RFT's. Currently have 25,000 miles on those and they look about half worn. I rotate about every 5,000 miles.

Regards,
    Kirk
  • idoc2idoc2 Member Posts: 78
    Had the Bridgestone EL42's replaced for free under the TSB at 9K. The dealer put on the Conti Contac SSR all season RFT's. They now have 11K miles and drive like new. I drive a 328xi, they have not yet been rotated and there is only modest wear which seems to be quite even.
  • dasht69dasht69 Member Posts: 2
    It really puts me at ease to know that there are others like me going through the same things. I will regulary check my pressure and watch out for potholes (easier said than done over here, of course...) and we'll see how things go from there.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I have 20,000 miles now on the replaced Conti's...ride and wear are very good. No noise so far.

Regards,
    OW
  • irisheyes44irisheyes44 Member Posts: 15
    While looking to purchase a 328xi coupe I am really scared about the tire situation. Will the dealer put the old air type tires on the car instead of the RFT's. I don't want to buy new tires every 25,000 miles espically if I were to lease the car for 36 months. So I am not sure if I want to go ahead and get the car or get an infiniti g35xS instead without the RFT's.
  • idoc2idoc2 Member Posts: 78
    The dealer will not replace RFT's for standard tires. Of course, RFTs are filled with air, they just have a stiff side wall so when punctured with loss of air pressure they can still support the weight of the car for a limited distance (100+/- miles) at a limited speed(50+/- MPH).

If leased for 36K miles you will almost certainly have to replace the tires of any car when returned or be subject to a substantial charge.
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    We were told the Continentals were better, but frankly, BMW had lost its credibily after their misdirections on the Bridgstones. We swapped out for Michelin MXV4 non_runflats, and the improvement is amazing. We'll take our chances with regular tires and a can or two of inflater goo if we're stranded.

Isn't the MXV4 more of a luxury touring tire than a performance tire?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    While the Primacy MXV4s may well be a luxury touring tire, thet will run rings around the stock all-season Bridgestone Turanzas.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    which is no big deal, except for the fact that BMW's RFT (and dipstick/unreliable oil level sensor) situation was a significant factor in my decision.

I want a car with real tires, a manual transmission & the aforementioned dipstick. As a bonus, the Acura TSX not only has a donut spare, but the well is big enough to hold a full-size spare, if you're that way inclined. The standard setup is to have the donut with a tire tool tray (jack, etc) on top of it, but if I put the tools elsewhere, I can carry a real spare tire. Never thought of such a thing as a luxury before, but I do now.

Maybe in a few years BMW will have sorted all this out. I had hoped to take European delivery of one about now. Perhaps later. Perhaps not. Based on what I've seen from them of late, I'm confident they couldn't care less.
    I'm leaning toward making one or both of our next cars Audis, and two of the biggest reasons for that are he RFTs (and associated lack of a spare tire well) and the delete of the dipstick. If/when I vote with my wallet, I'll be sure to send a letter to BMW informing them of the fact that they lost a sale to their cross-country rival due to these two issues. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo

P.S.
    Congrats on the new ride. ;)
    Thanks. :D

A letter from me to BMW would mean next to nothing, given that I've never owned one. From you, it very well could -- feel free to refer to on-line acquaintances who feel the same way.

The A3 was my second choice. I had to throw RWD under the bus to get what I want these days, which was painful. With luck, BMW will get their act together over the next few years. I figure the TSX will hold its value well, as I wait to see if there will ever be such a thing as a RWD small-displacement diesel with a manual transmission and real tires (with a dipstick). Could turn out to be a Mercedes C. It's looking less likely that it'll be a BMW.

Stay well.
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    Nor am I a fan of the EL42, RFT or no.
  • rich500rich500 Member Posts: 2
    I've read most of these messages, and it's dizzying! What I do understand is that Bridgestone Potenzas are noisy, wear badly and ride harshly. The replacement (RFT) Contis are quieter, and wear better. Are they less harsh? This may have been adressed already, thanks.
  • ihaterftihaterft Member Posts: 5
    I replaced the potenza tires on my 2007 328i with contis while there is most definitely an improvement with the handling, I can still feel bumps. I will not opt for the sports package with run flats ever again. SP and run flats just generally makes a ride "harsher: I don't know about noise, since my stereo is alway cranked up full blast :)
    Yes, less harsh from my experience.

Regards,
    OW
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    >"I'm leaning toward making one or both of our next cars Audis"

A word of advice if you're planning on buying at Nashua Audi: take a trip to Stratham instead. My Dad has an A8 and loves it, but is looking at other cars just because of the hassles he's had in Nashua.
    Interesting, good advice. I have in fact shopped at Nashua, and so far at least, the seem to be both professional and on the level, that said, I've been hearing good things about the new Stratham store. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bruceomegabruceomega Member Posts: 250
    Shipo,

Very interesting. Out of curiosity, if you do go with Audi, would you get AWD or FWD?

Bruce
    "Very interesting. Out of curiosity, if you do go with Audi, would you get AWD or FWD?"

Well, tough question. The only car that meets our requirements is the A3 2.0T, and if we were to buy today that would mean FWD. Why the 2.0T? Simple, the A3 3.2 Quattro is only available with an automatic transmission.

That said, I read an interview last week with the head of Audi U.S.A. that all but confirmed that the 2.0T was going to hit our shores this fall with the Haldex Quattro system as an option, what wasn't clear in the interview was whether the Haldex system would also require you to order the automatic transmission.

Assuming the FWD model is the only way to order a car with three pedals under the dash, then A3 2.0T FWD will be what is ordered.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    The following happened yesterday. The situation is very similar to the RFT incident we had with out long-term Mini Cooper S. Except this time it happened at night and further away from any city.

So we were testing a new version of a BMW 3-series in Pahrump, Nevada. Go ahead, make your own joke and get it out of your system.

Ready?

There isn't much in Pahrump, and there is even less (read: nothing) when you take the two-lane blacktop south toward Shoshone, California, (near Death Valley,) on your way back to Los Angeles. Some miles down the road, the low-pressure warning lamp comes on at 8:30 pm. Shoshone is one of those places where the population is lower than the elevation--by a lot.

We could go back to Pahrump, but that's the opposite direction of home. And we've just come from Pahrump, so we know they'll neither have an RFT in this size nor an open tire store. Las Vegas lies a further 55 miles beyond that, but now we're talking further from home, a driving distance close to the assumed 100-mile limit of the RFTs and a guaranteed overnight stay.

Going south along our intended path is no better. 70 miles down the road lies Baker, California, another place not likely to have ANY 35-series tires of any sort during broad daylight, let alone a RFT at 10:00 pm or so. There are no towns to the east. Death Valley awaits to the west.

Since we are automotive professionals and we're geared-up for track testing, we have an ace up our sleeves: A high-capacity, off-road, direct-to-battery air compressor. We decide to blow the offending tire up to 45 psi (it had been at 20-something) and see how far we can get before the light comes back on.

Answer: 35 miles. But now we're between Shoshone and Baker and we still have 240 miles 'til we get home. It's even darker, we're STILL in the middle of the desert, and even if we do find a tire store it's so late we won't find one tonight. At least there are 4 of us in a convoy.

More air, back on the road. Another 35 miles, another warning lamp. This time, it should be noted, the warning lamp came on at 33 psi. That's 25% below the 45psi we set the tire to, not 25% below the door sticker. BMW must have some crazy software in their TPMS. We could have gone farther, but it’s still a leaker and we can't see the nail, so we re-air it to 45 psi.

We do this three or four more times, working our way closer to home. But the distance between warnings drops to 30, then 25, then 20 miles. We're not getting into the RFT's mileage limit, because, so far, we haven't run below 30 psi for any length of time, let alone zero pressure.

When the nav system says we've got less than 100 miles to go, air is leaking out in 6 miles. We're in Victorville now, with tire stores a plenty, but it is 11:30 pm and they're all closed.

We decide to go with the nuclear option: After checking three "gas marts" we find one with a can of fix-a-flat (FAF).

I know, I know. Here's our logic. If we don't do this, the next 100 miles of airless operation will get us home, but the tire will be junk because it'll have run its RFT distance limit. But we're not sure that 100 miles is the magic number; this BMW has no FM to R (fine manual to read,) as it's a loaner and the prep shops frequently forget to leave them in the car.

If we do use FAF, we might save the tire--no run-flat mileage means we might be able to patch it after we scrape the FAF out. We'll need a new pressure sensor because FAF clogs the mechanism, but they're cheaper than a tire. If it doesn't work, we're no worse-off for trying. We just want to get ourselves home.

After squirting-in the FAF, the pressure still drops in the next 10-miles. The TPMS sensor doesn't say so, because we couldn't re-set the system on account of it being plugged with FAF, but a precautionary stop to check the pressure manually tells the tale. We top off one more time and drive the last 80-something miles at 55 mph. We finally get back bleary-eyed at 2:00 am--some 3.5 hours later than expected.

The southwestern USA is full of wide-open spaces and this could happen many, many such places. The day before we'd driven through Death Valley, where multiple stretches of 70+ miles have nothing more than a simple fuel station. None of them were service stations--they sold fuel and junk-food, that's it. Getting a tire, especially an exact replacement of this RFT, would be impossible in many of the places (city, town or village do not apply) we could have stopped for fuel. We never saw any place with mounting equipment the entire day.

BMW engineers just HAVE to know this. We see them testing in great numbers in Death Valley every summer. The same thing must have happened to them. At the very least, they must have imagined the scenario. Why this didn't have an effect on the BMW brass in Germany is beyond me.

This would have been such a non-story if we'd only had a spare. Five minutes and we'd have been on our way. If we hadn't had the compressor, we'd have been stranded in some garden spot like Baker. I might still have been there, waiting for a tire, right now.

With this state of affairs, I find it impossible to recommend a new BMW (or Mini) to anyone, no matter how much I personally like them and relish what they can do. No more RFT-equipped cars! At least not without spares, that is. RFTs should never be anything more than a stand-alone option, and I'm no longer a fan of spareless running with GFTs and a Conti kit, either.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

"The southwestern USA is full of wide-open spaces. . .

This would have been such a non-story if we'd only had a spare."

Damn straight.

I've spent most of the last six years planning to buy (or lease) a BMW, but I live in the West and treasure the week or so that I can spend driving in the empty spaces out here once a year (if I'm lucky). This RFT thing is a big piece of why I chose not to go with a BMW this week when I got a new car. A lot of that has to do with the fact that I've spent much of my life driving in areas where it's possible to go 75 miles between gas stations, let alone tire stores. The only way I could have dealt with RFT's would have involved carrying a spare tire of some sort, bringing along a jack & lug wrench, obtained on my own. Before long, it became apparent that the whole thing was far more trouble than it was worth.

Your story perfectly illustrates my concerns.

Northern Nevada, driving north & south (state highways only) makes the route you described sound like rush hour -- and I love driving in Northern Nevada. It's possible to drive over 200 miles with only one or two towns and fewer than a dozen cars met or passed. Pure joy. I did have a tire issue up there a few years ago & put my (full size) spare on in 15 minutes and that was that. With RFT's, that day & possibly the memory of the whole vacation would have been ruined; without, it was a non-event.

Incidentally, I've been to Pahrump. Let's call it an acquired taste.

Glad you (eventually) made it home.
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    Pahrump has one redeeming quality. One.

Spring Mountain Raceway.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

Whatever you order, I know it will be a top performer. Keep us posted as you get closer to a decision.

Regards,
    OW
    Thanks for the write up, well done. ;)

Funny thing, even though I live in New England where seemingly every third town has a BMW dealership, I'm still balking at the thought of buying a car with no spare tire. Why? Primarily because depending upon which client I'm visiting, I often spend hours on the road between New Hampshire and NYC (and Philidelphia too, just less often), and I usually do my driving off-hours (too damn much traffic around here otherwise). While I wouldn't be faced with something like your most recent ordeal, I would still end up being seriously delayed (by as much as a day) if no spare tire was available.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    My short list is getting decidedly short these days, either a 2008 A3 2.0T 6-Speed or a used 2001-2002 540i 6-Speed (I've seen a few low mileage ones recently in great shape).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Too funny...

Not 24 hours after I made that last post, Mrs. Shipo (who just started a great new job this week) announced that she wants a treat herself to a new car (I pretty much knew that), and that she wants to fetch the new car via another European Delivery trip like we did with my 530i. After playing car salesman for a while I've narrowed her criteria down to the following:
    - European Delivery option
    - Wagon format (we now have a 75 pound Labrador retriever that we have to schlep around)
    - Room for four people and five at a pinch
    - All-Wheel Drive (she just backed her van off of a neighbor's driveway into some very deep icy/slushy snow and mud and had to get towed out, and while I'm skeptical, she thinks that with AWD she wouldn't have gotten stuck)
    - Manual transmission
    - August 2008 pick-up somewhere in Europe

I presented her with the following cars:
    - Saab 9-3 SportCombi -- Rejected due to its looks
    - Volvo V50 -- Rejected due to the inability to order a manual transmission with the AWD option
    - Audi A3 2.0T -- Rejected due to the lack of AWD
    - Audi A3 3.2Q -- Rejected due to the lack of a manual transmission
    - Audi A4 Avant 2.0TQ -- Rejected due to the lack of rear seat leg room
    - BMW 328xi Sports Wagon -- She loves it

So, it looks like I'm going to have to deal with a car with RFTs and no spare tire after all. Fortunately the car won't be pressed into service on long trips (we're keeping one of our MiniVans for that purpose; both have full-sized spare tires).

I'll keep y'all posted as we continue to talk about her options and how we make out negotiating price, delivery time and of course which tires the car comes with (I kind of doubt we'll be able to demand Continental RFTs for a European Delivery).

Regarding the tire thing, as this will be her car; I'm undecided as to whether I'll switch it over to GFTs (given that there's no jack and spare tire) or just soldier along with the RFTs. Regardless I am very much inclined to order a set of new rubber early on and just stash them in the basement so that if/when one or more new tires are called for, I have them at hand, and if she needs to take it on a trip to NYC or something, I'll just toss one in the back, just in case.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    did u consider the 335XI ? It's a LOT more car than the 328xi and although pricier, when you add all of the options to the 328 that come on the 335 (xenon, larger wheels, etc) it's only about $3K more. The same engine but the 335 has the turbo chargers and WOW! what a difference. BTW... The suspension on the new ones is greatly improved and with the Conti's on it it's almost like a GFT. I put a full size spare and wheel in the trunk and, with the drop down rear seat there's room for as much muggage as you could possibly imagine. Good luck on whatever you wind up with! Also... just took a 2500 mile (all highway trip) in the 335 and the gas mileage, though only by decimal points was better than my 2006-330XI. 25.89 MPG.
    That is good news. I know the 328xi will serve you both very well indeed. I am also confident you will set up the tire config exactly right for you. As you know, I have the conti's and they are good but I am hopeful you can get them even with ED. You might want to get the 4 snows/rims and keep one of them as a spare.

I am looking forward to your progress! That 540i is a beautiful thing, though.

Regards,
    OW
    You missed criteria #2 "Wagon format". Last time I checked, the 335i isn't available as a Sport Wagon. That said, Mrs. Shipo is unlikely to need/want/even remotely appreciate the extra juice from the twin turbo engine, so the 328xi Sport Wagon looks to be the perfect ride for her.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    "That is good news. I know the 328xi will serve you both very well indeed."

Nope, this is going to be her car. If it was for me there's absolutely no way I would have opted for AWD. ;)

"I am also confident you will set up the tire config exactly right for you. As you know, I have the conti's and they are good but I am hopeful you can get them even with ED."

I've already done the ED thing once and am quite familiar with the way they set up the delivery center, and as such I'd be extremely surprised if there was any way to get them to put Contis in it there if it didn't come that way from the factory.

"You might want to get the 4 snows/rims and keep one of them as a spare."

Yup, a set of winter tires is a foregone conclusion.

"I am looking forward to your progress! That 540i is a beautiful thing, though."

Just because Wifey gets a Sport Wagon doesn't mean that I cannot still get a 540i 6-Speed. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    ". . .I'll just toss one in the back, just in case."

That would have been my plan, had I ended up with a sport wagon (high on my list up until the last year or so), except that I'd probably have strapped the RFT spare on the roof rack on vacations, since my bike would have taken up the bulk of the cargo space.

Something I'm sure you've noticed is that the lease deals on the wagons aren't nearly so good as on the sedans. As I recall, the monthly hit was most of $100 higher for a similarly-equipped wagon.

In any event, I'll be interested in hearing about this as it unfolds. I certainly envy you your delivery trip. I'm still hoping that in 3-4 years BMW may have something for me that I'll really want to drive, then it'll be an ED vacation for us as well.