Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Here's the article

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/automobiles/20TIRES.html?_r=1&ref=automobiles&- oref=slogin

Honda still recommend using RFT to preserve ride quality, however.

Regards,
    OW
  • 330cic330cic Member Posts: 8
    I'm thinking that a spare would take up too much room in the trunk when I put the top down. That kind of negates the advatage of having a spare. Anyone with a 'vert that has gone to GFT's and a spare? If so, does the spare take up too much room when the top's down?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Interesting that NY Times is just now picking this up as this is rather old news.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef3f1cf/1221

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • hayes9hayes9 Member Posts: 3
    Jeff, this is not in the magazine, but on the electronic Consumer Reports for the reliability of "upscale cars". The Acura TSX is rated highest and the Mercedes C-class is lowest. The i is rated above average and the xi is rated average. On a scale from -80 to +80 there is roughly 20 points between the 2 models. Not one of the owners of a xi that I personally know ever mentioned an AWD problem to me. Also, there has been no mention of reliability issues with the xi on the BMW forums. Just as CR has been MIA on the RFT problems, it may well be that they are being hyper-vigilant on AWD systems for sedans. Hayes
  • boskiboski Member Posts: 4
    I live in Mexico, the land of no speed limits (hehehe) and if it wasn't for the electronic speed governor the only thing I would change on my RFT tires is the letter from "U" to "Y" .
    My front tire blew up at 120mpg and other than some vibration , noise and increase in my heart rate, my 328xi did not loose stability, actually I took another mile or so to safely bring it to stop. I don't care if I have to change my tires once a year, as far as I'm concerned, they saved my life. Paid $40,000 for the car, free 4 year service, what's another $1000 a year ?
    Anybody knows how to dissable the speed governor ?
  • bmwtech1bmwtech1 Member Posts: 1
    I have worked for BMW in Charlotte for five years the last year and half I've been doing tires. They had just started using conti ssr when I started doing tires I've replaced 2 sets of 16" around twenty five thousand and 1 set of 17" around twenty two thousand for beeing worn out.None of them checked pressures or rotated tires on a regular basis.So if you take care of them they should last you a long time and they do not get noisey.
    "None of them checked pressures or rotated tires on a regular basis."

Last time I checked, the regular basis for tire rotations on late model BMWs is never. :P

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • larry175larry175 Member Posts: 68
    I rotated my tires every 4 to 5000 miles and the air pressure was always checked on a weekly basis and you are right the treadwear was excelent but the NOISE. The NOISE is unreal. And when you hit a bump or hole in the road you lose all the filling in your teeth. The best thing I did was to get rid of the rfts at 22000 miles.
  • dohrmcdohrmc Member Posts: 14
    I have no idea how many owners have been bothered or inconvienced by BMW's run flat tire policy. I would think this would make a great story for one of the auto enthusiast magazines like Car and Driver, Road and Track, Automobile or the internet magazine, Winding Road. I would almost think that Consumer Reports would jump on something like this. Are the Germans getting any feedback that this is not a good policy for a big country like this? The question is, do they care? Probably not, as long as lines of people line up to buy their cars who don't know anything about BMWs except that they are the auto equivalent of of a Rolex watch.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    ". . .the auto enthusiast magazines like Car and Driver, Road and Track, Automobile or. . ."

The odds that any of these would risk enduring the wrath of BMW (& their advertising dollars) with an article of this sort is somewhere between slim & none. That's a lot of why these car rags are so, so useful in terms of real critical review. Stats -- sure. Useful value judgements -- not so much.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • stephendstephend Member Posts: 19
    I am looking to purchase the 335xi. But I am concern about the rft based on different posting. I would have all season tires on the car. How much has manufacturing of RFT improved over the year? Should I switch to GFT? Could you put GFT on the rims that came with the RFTs?

Thanks,
    sk
  • rflrfl Member Posts: 100
    If BMW were the automotive equivalent it would be a highly polished vehicle that ran poorly..... just as Rolex's do. They are great looking status symbols but none of them keep good time!
    Hmmm, that's odd, all three of my Rolexs keep perfect time, including the one built in 1939. :)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • rprice1rprice1 Member Posts: 9
    I own a 325i (2006) and recently replaced my Bridgestone RFTs with GFTs (Michelin Pilot Sport PS). The improvement has been huge in respect to the harshnes of the ride and general handling. The car now feels and drives in the way one would expect from a BMW.

rprice
    i am wearing the Rolex I bought as a lieutenant in SE Asia in 1970. I have worn it every day since then. It has been maintained, but it keeps perfect time.
  • spinner4spinner4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 325 xi with RFT tires that made it to 26,000 miles. The front tires took a beating since I live on a bit of a hill with winding roads. Most miles were on interstate which explains the 26k. BMW service agent told me when I bought the car not to expect much longevity if I lived in the westhills of Portland, OR. They are noisy. Can't really carry on a conversation with someone while out on the highway. That's bad news. I replaced the Bridgestones yesterday with a set of non-RFT Toyo Proxes 4s. At first feel, I like the handling on the OEM Bridgestones better, but the Toyos are quiet and smooth, if not as responsive. With the Toyos the car is like an entirely different vehicle--for good or bad. I not sure the Toyos were the best choice. I'm getting a ContiComfortKit in case in need to rescue myself. I travel across eastern Montana and western South Dakota (somewhat desolate) a couple times a year and always had a concern about service if I got a RFT flat. All problems and issues are hopefully now solved. BMW needs to reevaluate the RFT policy.
  • lehrer1lehrer1 Member Posts: 54
    "All problems and issues are hopefully now solved. BMW needs to reevaluate the RFT policy."
    RFT was (is) a stupid decision, but a spare will require significant redesign of the car and expensive retooling. We might see a space for the spare only in new models.
    Lehrer
  • upnorth2upnorth2 Member Posts: 12
    My 10 month old ( 14000 miles ) 328xi got a nail in the rear run flat tire and I sent my wife to get it fixed at the BMW dealer. I was shocked when she arrived home with TWO NEW TIRES at a cost of $780..They told her BMW does not recommend patching the run flats and because of the slight wear on the rear tires, the on board computer would be thrown off if we didnt replace both rear tires. Needless to say I was pissed. I will NEVER use run flats again. Other than this , we love the car and especially enjoy the 6 speed trans. My car is a 911 and I am impressed with the handling and smoothness of the BMW.
    What liars they are!!!! It is a crying shame horsewhipping no longer has the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.
    I just bought 4 new Continental ContiProContact SSR's at my beloved tire dealer. The cost for mounting, balancing and valves was exactly $780, including tax. Never buy tires from the BMW dealer. (330xi 225/45 R17).

Regards,
    OW
  • hal56hal56 Member Posts: 94
    just bought a 335 with rft--i have had a vette with rfts since 1999--switched from oe goodyears to firestone firehawks and on second set of those--softer quieter ride and no road hop.

on nails-it depends on where the puncture is--if in the thread--ok to patch--near or on sidewall -needs replacement.

I also hit a pothole at 85 in new mexico years ago--a couple of days later I noticed a bulge on sidewall-needless to say-new tire.

but overall rfts has been pretty good and do not mind getitng them on new 335 which is a convertible so happy to save the space.
  • new0rdernew0rder Member Posts: 9
    $865.43 labor and 4 x tire 205/55r16 Conti RFT done in the dealer. $85 difference

still, BMW RFT had me think about my next car.
    I would not put off buying because of the RFT issues. Just me.

Regards,
    OW
  • rflrfl Member Posts: 100
    4 conti pro contact SSR 225/45 17's- $144 each at Tirerack.com... Shipping $30, local tire guy to mount and balance @$35 each-Total=$746 INCLUDING THE TIRES. Tell the dealer hs is a thief!
  • mjbauermjbauer Member Posts: 19
    I did not let the Run Flats keep me form buying one, I picked up my new 335xi Friday and so far I am pleased with the tires, and love the car! . I am not getting the expected road noise, etc. In fact, the car is quieter than my 2005 Acura RL in similar road conditions.

I did go far a ride in a 2006 325 and I noticed a lot of road noise in that, but the newer run flats in the 335 are fine. I will likely buy snow tires this winter but I am unsure if they will be run flats or not.

My other BMW (e36M3) has Michelin Pilot Sport SP2's all the way around and I like them very much, they would be a high performance non RFT options for those who are interested. Tire rack is a good option and Discount Tire will bargain and match the Tire Rack price.
    Didn't you forget TAX?

Regards,
    OW
    You have the best of both worlds! With snows, you will be at the top of the traction heap in all conditions with your new car!

Regards,
    OW
  • johnsamjohnsam Member Posts: 55
    Purchased a new 330i (Sports Package - staggered Fr / Rr tires sizes) with RFT's in 2006. Ran up 20,000 mixed city and highway before having to replace them. Now with 27,000 miles on Bimmer, looking to replace once again (although are good for another 6-7,000 miles). Two BMW dealers say nothing wrong with suspension etc. but add that RFT's do not give tread life of conventional tires. Local Bridgestone dealers do not even carry RFT's for this car as they say "not enough demand to carry in stock".
    Car's great.........Tires :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Any suggestions on GOOD QUALITY CONVENTIONAL tires for this car?
    Have purchased "donut" spare and power kack and now ready for tires.NOTE: I live in an area of little snow. Do not need "All Seasons"
    My summer car is a 911s Porsche. As we live on a mountainside in Vermont, I have to park it for the winter. As November approached, I mourned the fact that I would be driving a Jeep for the winter. My wife had an SUV.I decided to trade in the SUV for a German AWD car. I test drove a Mercedes but was disappointed in their smaller AWD models. After my Porsche, they felt unresponsive. I then drove a 328xi and was immediatley impressed and bought it.We just finished a winter with it and I LOVE the car. The AWD system works seamlessly, I cant feel it engage. I drove it up our steep gravel road with 10 inches of unplowed snow up to the doors and it did it effortlessly. On dry pavement, the car tracks and handles beautifully with no AWD feel that many cars have. The 6 speed manual is incrediably smooth as is the engine. My only regret is that I didnt buy one sooner. We are also very pleased with our gas mileage. When in doubt, I would highly recommend the AWD.
    I have the 330xi and couldn't agree more.

Regards,
    OW
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    … came mounted on a brand-new 335d coupe with sport suspension bought two months ago. About 3,500-mile wear up now. Flawless. Excellent grip. Little noise, no harsh ride (in absolute terms and as compared to my previous ride on 5-Series with Michelin Pilot and Pirelli Nero Zero non-RFT tires).

Regards,
    Jose
    Jose, do you have the BS or Continentals?

Regards,
    OW
    Bridgestone Potenza RE50A II RFT tires. I had no other option left when I bought the car.

I have read about cups as well as noise and harsh ride on BS RFTs after, say, 10,-15,000 miles. But I have also be told that that was when they were made of a bad rubber compound before 2006 ;) . Time will say if my BS will age without being a nuisance. I have read too that, given those tires are directional, the noise may increase substantially after wrongly performed tire rotations.

Until now they are great, both on dry and wet pavement. They are summer tires, yet I drove them a couple of times on mountain-road salted asphalt in freezing weather with still good grip (not that I had asked them too much under such a condition).

Regards,
    Jose
    As I mentioned in a previous post,a BMW dealer overcharged my wife for two run flat tires. ( $780 ) In BMW's defense, the dealer called a couple days after the event checking on my satisfaction with my recent visit to the dealer. I let them have it and ranted and raved about being over charged and ripped off. The poor woman during the survey was silent but promised to send my comments along. Today the dealer called and apologized for the error. They are sending me a check for $400. They said it was a clerical mistake and humbly apologized. They are off my s_ _ t list . I still dont like run flats. But BMW is great.
  • par721par721 Member Posts: 14
    Can anyone tell me whether the factory rims on the 3-series will accept non-RFT tires or are they specially made to only run on RFT tires? I want the car, but the tires are a big issue...thanks!
    No worries, you can put regular GFTs on any RFT shod BMW, and the only thing you'll be required to change is the air used in the tires. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for your reply! What do you mean by "shod BMW?"
    Sorry, I grew up on a farm and when a horse has shoes it is referred to as being "shod". :blush: So, when I said:

"No worries, you can put regular GFTs on any RFT shod BMW..."

What I really should have said:

"No worries, you can put regular tires (the kind that get flat) on any Run Flat Tire equipped BMW..."

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    No problem and thanks for the clarification!
    I replaced my Bridgetone RFTs on my 2006 325i (with Sport package) with Michelin Sport Pilot PS GFT tires. The switch has produced an incredibly improved ride.
    Well here goes re: "Can I put conventional tires on run flat rims?".
    A QUALIFIED "YES"
    * I recently bought a 2006 330i with RFT's. The car had 25,000 miles on it - bought through a BMW Mercedes dealer on the other side of the Country. I knew that it had RF's and one of the first things I did was go out and buy both a conventional "donut" spare / jack / lug nut wrench. Then the fun began:
    First I checked with a local BMW dealer asking if I would be voinding any warranties by going to Conventionals:-"NO"
    Secondly will all systems (example the tire pressure monitor) run correctly? "YES"
    Third: Are conventionals compatible with the BMW rims on the car? "YES".
    NOW LET ME EXPLAIN FURTHER - - - -While the car only had 25,000 PAMPERED miles on it, the RFT's had been replaced at 20,000 miles by the original owner. Why? They were wearing out. Even when I saw the new tires with only 5,000 miles on them they showed signs of wear. Why? The original tires are Bridgestones with a wera factor of 140. Even $99.00 conventional tires have wear ratings of 200 and up. The ones I favor have a rating of 400. and the cost $800 for a set (staggered sizes back/front on BMW Sport Package) vs. $1,200. for RFT's.
    The only thing I was told by 3 out of 5 local tire dealers was "Buy high performance tires for that car".
    Fourth: I contacted BMW USA through the Owners Circle. They had assisted me in the other BMW still owned so I thought that they would have aknowledge base on this subject. They came back saying that as far as they could determine, no problem with installing conventionals on the BMW rims. They recommended only that the proper valve stems be reinstalled or if the ones in the rims were verily new, leave them in the rims.
    Now to clarify the QUALIFIED YES above. I know nothing but what I learned over the past few weeks which is above. As I am retired I had LOTS of time to research the subject. I am still running the RF's as I mantioned above they have 5000 miles on them. I will however be getting rid of them when the time comes.
    John
    Springfield, OR
    Thanks, John. I appreciate your feedback. My friend Joe is reading this thread discussion now and was about to sign the deal on a new 335 coupe but then decided not to because of all the RFT talk going on. Tell him: Buy the car, Joe! ;-)
  • berkleybmwberkleybmw Member Posts: 3
    BMW has obviously gotten tired of the constant complaints about their RFT's. In Canada they offer a warranty plan for $894 that covers your tires and rims for 3yrs/100k. You can replace/repair as many tires/rims as necessary. With all the problems these tires have been having, it sounds like a worthwhile investment. I just leased a 335xi coupe and am going to add this warranty package. You would think BMW would give up on these tires. I don't think I have read anything positive about them. Does anyone have anything good to say??????
    Does anyone have anything good to say?

I shall refer my opinion to my posts #1865—#1867 and others around them, on page 94 of this thread. Some more pages ago other poster wrote his very positive experience with RFT when one of them blow up.

Not a great amount of good-saying posters, however.

Regards,
    Jose
    Hey Joe........Buy the car!

Just keep in mind that the RFT's may cost you $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 when you buy the car now. And, they wear out fast (140 wear rating) (check other brands for their wear rating. I did and was very much let down as to what I found). 300+ and up.
    They are part of your new car as the the steering wheel. You no like....replace. They are relatively good riding and I can't complain re the handling. The 1st set on this 330i wnet after 20,000+ miles. Now with 26,000 on the car, slight wear is showing. The total suspension etc. was checked and is OK. So that leads me to believe that the tires are a poor cost cutting step on BMW's part.>>>>NO SPARE / NO JACK / NO TIRES "TOOLS" / NO BODY MODIFICATIONS TO ACCOMODATE A SPARE. BMW probably saved $50.00 while passing the cost of the more expensive RFT's on the the buyer of the Bimmer.

John
    Springfield , OR
  • kenshirokenshiro Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2006 330i. I drove about 25000 on my turanzas, and its finally time to replace those bad tires.
    If I want to replace a new set of RFT, which one should I get? How about conventional tires?
  • berkleybmwberkleybmw Member Posts: 3
    Many of the complaints about the tires are on older model cars. Does anyone know what BMW are putting on the 2008 3 series cars now. Have the new tires been improved?
    I have a 2006 325i. Just replaced my Bridgestone Potenza RFTs with Michelin Pilot Sport PS tires. The ride has vastly improved. The car now performs the way I would expect a BMW to perform.

rprice
  • lungnewyorklungnewyork Member Posts: 1
    After reading some messages regards to the Bridgestone Turanza Run Flat that came with 2006 BMW 325xi. I strongly agree that these tires are defective. I can not believe BMW will use this kind of tire. only 7k the tire noise start. I brought the car back to the dealer "BMW of Bayside" they told me there was a nail in the tire and since the tire was so new they can "fix it for free" I learn later that the Run Flat can not be fix. Not sure. Anyhow the nose was still there and getting louder as the mileage goes. When it reached 18K I can no longer enjoy the ultimate driving machine. I brought the car to "Manhattan BMW" and complain about the noise. They told me that there was nothing wrong with the tire. They told me Run Flat has harder wall and noise is very common. The noise got worse and so I decided to get new set. I turn to online for research. I came cross some BMW dealer actually pay half of the price for the new set. So I bring the car back to dealership. The dealer refuse to give me any discounts due to my mileage was over 20K. (disregards I complained for few times before it reach 20K) They told me the noise was due to "Feather" condition of the tire. All 4 tires are broken and need to replace and suggest me to go outside dealer for tires. (She told me it's cheaper out there. trying to help me save few $$). If BMW really care about what we think about their car. Don't just call us after the service appointment and ask us to grade the dealership and service advisor. BMW should admit there is a problem with these tires. Lots of 2006 325 model have same issue. BMW should do something about it. Specially to the Dealership that not telling owner the tire can be replace at no cost or at half off before 20K. Going to get Continental ContiProContact SSR next.
  • emartinezdevemartinezdev Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 BMW 335i with Bridgetone Potenza Runflat tires. I have not seen such a piece of crap in my life. My car has 8000 (less than a year) miles and have had to replace the tires 4 times. This weekend I had another flat, they seem to blow on the side wall over the sligthest perturbance on the road. I am switching to Pirelli's RFT. Any comments?