Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• larry175larry175 Member Posts: 68
    I rotate on a regular schedule of 3/4k. My 2005 330xi went for over a year until I traded it in for an 06. The tires looked like they were just put on. The 06 (spit) went for 22000 miles and i couldn't stand the noise and vibration any so i dumpted them and put a set of avo's? on. Whe warehat a difference. They rode with no noise and much smoother. Of corse I sacrificed a bit of the handling aspec because the walls are softer but I don't drive on a track so who cares. The tread at 11000 miles is not showing at all. And would you believe that with 500 miles I hit a pot hole and blew the right front tire. The garage owner where the car was towed to asked me if i wished I had rft's on as he was mounting a new tire. NO WAY.
    But thats in the past. The 2006 is gone and I am waiting for a 2009 335xi.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Well, is there anyone here who did NOT ever rotate the standard tires and still got the entire rated wear life of the tires with no uneven wear or other related problems?

If these are magic tires that don't need rotation or if the 3 series always puts even wear on the tires, then why waste time needlessly rotating the tires?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I didn't rotate the tires on my first BMW (a 1999 328i), and while I had no noise or other unusual wear patterns on my tires, I will say that the rears did wear a bit faster than the fronts. When I traded it in on my 530i SP, the tires on the 328i had almost bang on 49,000 miles on them (yes, this was a non-SP car with all-season tires), I'm quite certain that the rears could have safely seen the 60,000 mile mark, and the fronts were probably good for more like 75,000 miles.

My 530i SP was a different story. Given the softer nature of the performance rubber, they were getting quite noisy by about the 12,000 mile mark, and so the following spring (when I was removing my set of winter wheels), I mounted the OEM rear wheels and tires on the front, and the fronts on the rear (same side in both cases), and the tire noise immediately went away. Given the success of that rotation, I continued to rotate the tires every spring from there-on-in.

Long story short, when I pony up for my next BMW, it will most likely be purchased with the Sport Package, and nowadays, that means staggered RFTs (i.e. wider in the rear than in the front), and that in turn means that rotations are basically impossible. With that factoid in mind, I'll probably spring for another set of front wheels, and then buy a set of four same-sized GFTs and run that set-up while I have the car (which will allow me to rotate the tires). When I dispose of the car, I'll remount the factor RFT rubber on the front wheels, and put the wider factory rear wheels/tires back on. That will leave me with two extra front wheels and tires, two extra tires off the rim, and most likely a set of four winter wheels and tires to dispose of. Hello? Craig's list? ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    "I rotated MYSELF every 6K miles ..."

I hope you didn't drive after rotating yourself. You must have gotten very dizzy... :P

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• bokimrxbokimrx Member Posts: 1
    hi, much needed answers!
    I have a '07 335i stock runflats with 3 bubbles. do i need to purchase stock run flats when im returning my lease? mavis is telling me i do but im wondering if i can just use another non run-flat brand? thanks for the help.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Not any dizzier than the posters over on that Cadillac board! ;)

Regards,
    OW
    If you have a BMW-FS lease, then yes, you need to return the car with RTFs on the rims.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    Well, maybe we can declare Cadillac the "Standard of the GM World!" CTS doesn't seem too bad a car, the rest of the lineup currently, feh... Yes, even the XLR I have irrationally considered pursuing...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• boskiboski Member Posts: 4
    I have 26K on my 2007 328xi , did not rotate and so far they all look good.
  • bemerbemer Member Posts: 20
    I newer rotated any tires with BMW (3 series). No problem ever !!!
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    On my '06 3 Series, the RFT's were still looking good at 36,000 mi. Oh, and they were never rotated.
  • idoc2idoc2 Member Posts: 78
    Have been tempted to rotate but have 32K miles on my 2007 328xi with Continental RFTs. Have never rotated and the wear seems quite even all around. Perhaps the wear is somewhat more even with all-wheel drive.
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    I have the exact same car and tires as yours, and am surprised that you got 30,000 miles from those tires. My 328i sport has about 18k miles now, and I would be lucky if I can drag on for another 3k miles.

Just checked TireRack, and found the Conti RFT rear tires still on back order. My problem is that my car is leased , so I cannot have two brands of tires when the lease is up. However, even if I replace the tires with the more expensive BS or Pirelli now, there may not be enough threads left when I turn in the car at 36k miles. I definitely don't want to buy 2 sets of tires for a 3-year lease. Conti has a much better wearing rating that will surely last well over the 36k miles mark. I am keeping my fingers crossed that those rears will be available soon.
  • skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    Today morning my tire pressure indicator turned on, indicating that I have had a loss of tire pressure in one of my tires. I drove the car about 5 miles, and immediately checked the tires and they were all fine, i.e., maybe with 0.1-0.3 difference than the required pressure. I have made my mechanics to check the tires, and they could not find anything wrong with any of them. I have reseted the RFT thing, and although the light was on after I drowe it off to the parking lot and left it there as such, when I drove back home after work, the tire pressure light was off. Which all makes me to believe that there was some kind of short, glitch, or something that stupid. Please comment, and especially if I did something wrong. Thank you.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    If it happens again with correct tire inflation and the monitor reset, it's either a sensor or warning light malfunction.
    Thanks, it appears that it was some temporary thing. However, it ticks me off that something like that even happens, i.e., warning for no reason, caused by some stupid malfunction. Also, I did not like that the tire pressure monitor was not reset instantaneously, but it took some time to come back to its senses.
  • scootamonscootamon Member Posts: 2
    Some people seem to think 6000-10,000 miles for a set of tires that perform poorly in the meantime is acceptable. I, however, do not. The Turanzas are a subpar product. Terribly noisy, poor handling, and just plain unsafe on wet pavement (and they call this a "safety" product). I finally gave up and put Michelin radials on my '06 330i. Best thing I ever did. Quiet, smooth ride, great traction. Fortunately I don't drive far, since I no longer have a "spare tire", if you will.

I am trying to locate a temporary spare tire. Supposedly, one exists that fits my car. Does anyone know if the newer Volvos have the same lug pattern as a BMW? Volvo uses the same size spare required for an E90 BMW, which is T125/80/R17. I can get a Volvo spare, but I need to make sure it fits the lugs.
    The E90 Manual says:
    Field experience has indicated significant differences
    in fuel quality: volatility, composition,
    additives, etc., among gasolines offered for sale
    in the United States and Canada. Fuels containing
    up to and including 10% ethanol or other
    oxygenates with up to 2.8% oxygen by weight,
    that is, 15% MTBE or 3% methanol plus an
    equivalent amount of co-solvent, will not void
    the applicable warranties with respect to
    defects in materials or workmanship.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hmmm.... a study done in a state that relies on heavy ethanol subsidies vs. those silly engineers at BMW....hmm......
  • richardga73richardga73 Member Posts: 84
    Guys, is there a way to buy a BMW 3 without the RF's? Had a 2003 with spt. and I dont want the spt. Rides too rough and the car handles fine w/o it. The standard suspension is just fine. Besides, the traffic everywhere is so bad, when do you use it? Can you buy the regular 3 w/o RF's? If not, that is a deal breaker. BMW has enough problems with their cars: looks, reliability, high prices, crummy dealer networks, i-drive, salesmen who think they are parting with their mothers on every sale, and now chincyness over putting a spare in the trunk. I cant believe the unresponsiveness of BMW over this. You guys have over 2500 responses to this subject over 2 years with no end in site. No car is worth all this crap: having multiple sets of wheels and tires piling up in the garage that you'll never get rid of. The answer is to tell the salesman you'll not buy it with RF's then walk out if they cant do it. BMW will get the message. Sales are already off anyway all over. They ought to be begging us for business.
  • zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    BMW has enough problems with their cars: looks, reliability, high prices, crummy dealer networks, i-drive, salesmen

Why would you be inquiring whether a 3 could be had without RF's, especially if you're characterizing them as you are? Why aren't you looking at something totally different...you sound like you can't stand BMW's - why do you care? :confuse:
    Z
  • florida911florida911 Member Posts: 4
    I bought new tires for my 2006 3i series. I did not get the run flats. I bought continental sport tires. I love how smooth they feel on my car. I have a question about how they make my car feel when I take off. It kind of feels like my car is skidding a bit. Is that normal?
    MAYBE YOU SHOULD CONSIDER NOT PRESSING THE GAS PEDAL TO HARD.
  • florida911florida911 Member Posts: 4
    Are you being serious? I don't think I am pressing any harder than I was with the RFs. I just want to make sure that the Conti Sport were ok to have on my car. If not, I guess it is a little late now huh??
    Well, Zekeman, it is because I have owned 3 BMW's and I like them that I complain about the various things going on now. Do you love I Drive? Do you love the looks of the 5 series or the 7? Do you love the dealer experience?Do you love those ever increasing high prices and lower reliability compared to [non-permissible content removed] cars?Do you love them taking away a perfectly good tire setup with spare and putting hard tires on that now over 2064 complaints are complaining about. It is complaining about something you love but would like to see better. These cars used to look better. Bangle took care of that. They may be faster now but they are heavier. They are still the best drivers but are are losing ground to the infinitis and the acuras.
    Just my opinion but if I disliked all the things you do, I would have gone to the Japanese cars long ago, regardless of my love affair with the BMW. I've owned only 1 American car since 1970, all the rest have been Japanese - you don't have to convince me that they're good (I've owned multiple Honda/Toyota/Lexus/Infiniti)...this is my first German car - yes, I like the I drive. The 5 & 7 series are ok but I'm not overly enamored with them. My RFT's are doing fine and I have Paragon for coverage. So far all is just fine with the car - if it starts becoming a chronic pain in the [non-permissible content removed], I'll move on to another car. Frankly I believe you can complain until you're blue in the face and eventually you'll annoy people enough that they'll tune you out. The car manufacturers will likely do the same. But if you feel better doing it, go for it!

Btw, who (or what) is "Bangle"? Good luck with your quest!!
    Z
    P.S. to my previous reply.
    Fwiw, I lived in Tokyo for 4 years and to refer to something or someone as "[non-permissible content removed]" is quite similar there to using the N word here in the U.S....(it could come back to haunt you). ;)
    Z
    I see, you are a first time german car owner. I understand now. It is this love hate affair with german cars that make them so intriguing. I am on my 6th mercedes.Ive owned 3 porsche's and 3 BMW's. I would have a 3 now except my local BMW dealer is so corrupt. The reason for having these cars is that they are the best cars money can buy. The [non-permissible content removed] cars never have the soul that these cars do. You'll see what I mean. My next car will be a 3 because it is the best driving car in the world. By the way, if you're fine with the RFT's why are you here? You are practically the only one not complaining.Oh yeah, this is you're first. When you have been seasoned a little you'll be right in there in the middle. Remember: love-hate. Bangle: the designer of all the current BMW bodies.
  • wayne67wayne67 Member Posts: 5
    I have had a BMW for three months and encountered a flat last week. The dealer could not verify the cause but insisted there was no warranty either through the tire manufacturer or through BMW. In the decades that I've driven I have never endured such poor support. This is a cash grab, waste of resources with disposable tires vis a vis ecology, and a total rip off to the consumer.
    why was the tire not fixable?
  • melara3melara3 Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for accurately describing my frustration with BMW. I leased a 330ia with 5645 miles on it on Jan. 2007. Thirteen months later and having added my own 7000 miles, I took it into the dealer because of the loud, annoying noise and mentioned it to the service adviser. He said nothing was wrong, they had checked everything out. 7 months and 2,000 miles later, my flat tire light came on. One week prior, I had taken the car to a BMW dealer near me to fix a door latch. It was at that time he recommended that I replace all 4 tires and do a wheel alignment. He explained the 50% policy since I was under 20,000 miles. I didn't know whether to believe him or not, so I went to the dealer who leased me the vehicle. I believed THEY would be honest with me. He concurred with the other service adviser. He showed me where the tires were worn on the outer edges AND directed me to feel the "wear bar" which was at the max for safety. So, not only where the outside edges worn, but the inside tread was as well. My cost to replace them was $835.36. I was extremely unhappy about this especially when he told me tires normally run 25-35,000 miles. I am a single female and know squat about tires, but do know they should last longer than 18,800 miles. I inquired as to why I had to pay for recalled tires. And since I only leased the vehicle and Bridgestone was only willing to pay 1/2 the replacement cost, shouldn't BMW pay the other half? Sorry, was all he could say. That's how BMW does it. Then, when I looked at my service report, he changed the wording to say that only the outside tread was worn and the inside tread was fine. I questioned him about this and he lamely answered he did it to allow me to be eligible for the 2 free tires. I told him I was already eligible for the 2 free tires. He mumbled something and walked away. I spoke to the Service Director to no avail. I am planning to take them to small claims court for breach of contract and deceptive business practices. At the time of my lease (2007),I had purchased an Ultimate Wear and Tear Protection Plan which was to cover bumper to bumper dings, minor dents and scruffs for $800.00. I was only to pay a $100.00 deductible per repair. I was told this year they changed the coverage, and that my rocker scruff wasn't covered and called it a "Paint Protection Plan" on my service report. They charged me $400.00 additional dollars to paint it. Yes, they have failed greatly in satisfying me. This is my first time with BMW and my last time. I was thrilled to find this forum and have printed many of the posts to take as evidence of BMW's apathy to a problem I feel they created. I am confident I will be successful. I plan on placing yours at the top of the pile for the judge to read. Thanks again.
  • wayne67wayne67 Member Posts: 5
    I was told that run flat tires can not be repaired, only disposed of.
    Nooooooooooooooo.....that's not true. My friend's tire shop repairs them FOR the BMW dealer.

Of course, if the sidewall is slashed, blah, blah...then you can't fix 'em.
  • suttreesuttree Member Posts: 10
    I have factory ContiProContact All Season so-called "Grand Touring" class tire. These are of course RFTs on 2008 328xi coupe (17" ). I drive a lot and have simply worn them out. No problems whatsoever. What I'm looking for is a tire that is up from a "grand touring" grade tire. As in better handling. Better straight-line stability, etc. I have a drive that has a lot of curves and mountain driving. I would like more of a more *performance* oriented all-season. Any recommendations on:

--RFTs, like Goodyear, Pirelli?
    --Go Flats All Season?

Thanks
  • ajfinoakajfinoak Member Posts: 58
    I had an '06 325 with the run flats. Within 9 months I had 3 flats on different tires (1 the first week) and the dealer said they could not repair them but an independent shop would. I called around and found a shop for all 3 repairs and they laughed about the crappy run flats BMW uses each time I went in. I had not had a flat for 10 years before that and have not had one for the past year when I dumped the BMW (which I returned under the CA Lemon Law for other problems) with a Lexus. There were numerous things that I liked about the BMW but it is more satisfying to have a car that is reliable from the tires on up. Perhaps I will try one again in the future after the bad taste wears off. BMW really needs to make their customers a priority.
    This is my second 3 series coupe with heavy miles and driving on RFTs, which although has issues at the edge around performance, never had a single flat, blow out, etc. Maybe luck, maybe not. Anyway, maybe somebody could be so kind as to answer my original question.

thank you
    Go to TireRack.com, select your car and select all the tires, and in order not to go through the whole selection, click on RunFlat Tires and click on the radio button saying Show only RunFlat Tires. There were 22 different tires found for your car, some of which were performance-type tires. You can read the evaluations of each tire, etc., or you can even choose to talk to TireRack people, they appear to be knowledgeable and provide objective recommendations. However, I always use recommendations by other BMW users (Bimmerfest), but as I have not bought tires for more than a couple of years, and none of them were runflats, therefore, I cannot help you with recommendation. Good luck.
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    My friend's tire shop repairs them FOR the BMW dealer

Maybe, he does, but he ain't supposed ta. :sick:

"Interestingly, some run-flat tire makers do not recommend repairing a run- flat tire given its uncertain condition after running flat even for a short period of time..."

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2007/06/run-flat-tires-.html
    why should tire makers tell you it's ok to repair their rft's? duhh.
    My 09 335xi should be here next week. barbera red with black int and dark poplar wood trim and every option except for the active steering.
    Maybe, he does, but he ain't supposed ta.

Why ain't he supposed ta? There is absolutely no law that says that RFTs are any less repairable than GFTs. True, there is the issue of how many miles a flat RFT was "run flat", however, that's a judgement call on the part of the individual or shop doing the repair.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • cecilt1cecilt1 Member Posts: 74
    After having 2 previous 3 Series but going to an '06 Acura TL I may want to go back to BMW. These run flats have me skiddish. I went through de-paxing my wife's Odyssey Touring with new wheels, TPMS and GFT's. however, the van had the same space for a spare and already had a jack. Easier swap (except for having to buy new wheels).

I am interested in the 2007 335i sport or 2007 335xi sport in that order. RFT's on the 335i sport seem non-existent and what is there are VERY expensive. Seems the better route is the 335xi sport since they are simialar size and only 17's.

If I went with a 335i sport and converted to GFT's what is everyone doing about a spare. I don't want to take up an already small trunk. Does roadside assistance come tow you for free to have your GFT tire replaced or fixed? Do you carry fix-a-flat which I heard can mess up your wheels so not a good idea really.

Should I just play it safe and go with the 335xi sport since RFT's are more reasonable to replace? How many miles can one expect out of the Conti Contact's. I assume that my used BMW would have the dreaded Brdgestone's.

Should I just skip the BMW all together b/c of this issue. Thanks for your help.
    i didn't know 335's were here in 2007. The BMW Assist will tow you to the nearest BMW dealer. And they may have a tire left for you to buy for your car. at a very reasonable price. My advice drive very carfully on your rft and have the tire plugged and patched. Carefull drive so you don't ruin the rim and/or the tire so it can be fixed.
    My '09 335xi is on the way to the dealers. Delivery should be next week. But it will have to wait until the 27th when I get home from vacation.
    P.S. I think the problems with the rft's are not so much with picking up nails but with blow outs from hitting pot holes which BMW warns about. But the noise and hard ride and wear out problems are with the tires.
  • bruce72bruce72 Member Posts: 2
    I own a bmw 325 i. I am switching from run flat tires to regular tires. Where can I get a spare donut to fit the car?
  • ingridcalibabaingridcalibaba Member Posts: 2
    hello, new to this chat forum. However, I bought a 2008 335i coupe loaded January 1st 2008 and got sucked into putting runflats on my car. I now am seriously disappointed in the tires, as they seem to get sucked into every rut in the road. I do have a 90s Quattro Coupe Audi with Michelin tires and have never had any problem with traction on the road or getting sucked into ruts. Now, I have had the shock of my life when I am being told by the dealer that I have to buy new rims to put winter tires on and guess what........ they can only install runflats!!! I realize that I am blonde and female but I wasn't born yesterday. I have called the dealer in Seattle USA and was quoted $3137.00 US. not great! Does anyone have any ideas for me. I am thinking of just putting Blizzacks on with new rims?
    Thanks
    You don't need new rims. You can put Go flats on your rims at your favorite tire store and there is a repair kit so you can temporarily fix a flat on the road since you don't have a spare. Here is the link.

ContiConfortKit

Use tirerack.com for tire info. Lots of great info there.

Regards,
    OW
  • ingridcalibabaingridcalibaba Member Posts: 2
    thank you, I have always been a driver who ensures my vehicle has the appropriate tire rated for the best performance of my cars. I am just a little frustrated.
    Ingy
    I understand. I have an '06 330xi and switched to Conti RFT's at 12K miles and changed again at 24K with a second set. These tires didi the job. The BS were garbage.

Regards,
    OW
    Skobola,

Thank you, Did as you described. Good selection. Talked to them, do appear objective.