Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Had the same car. No problem. Like a tank!

Regards,
    OW
  • jeremy_nycjeremy_nyc Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2006 330xi and live in New Jersey and travel to New York a lot for work. I have to say that I am not a big fan of the rfts because they are just not ready for the roads here. Going through a manhole, not even a pot hole, the car hits hard, not to mention the road noise. I have new Continentals put on last month to replace the Bridgestones, slightly better, but not by much.

I have been considering changing them to regular tires, possibly Michelins or other ones suggested by the users here. I mentioned it to the mechanic at my local dealership and he said that most likely the ride will be better. However, he said that the tire pressure will not work with the regular tire and will be lit up and there is no way that he can turn that off. That aside, he also said even if I do not mind the light being lit up, with that one, it will not pass inspection, anyone care to comment on that, am not sure.

I had a 2009 328xi as a courtesy, have to say that there is much improvement in the ride. The tires are still Bridgestones, but rides a lot smoother and less road noise. Obviously they have made a lot of improvements in regards to using these tires. So I was wondering if the new Bridgestones will work better with my 2006, anybody tried them?
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    Jeremy,

My wife has a 2008 328xi with the Bridgestone EL42 RFTs with about 6800 miles on the odo. My nickname for her is Maria Andretti. She had a '95 318ti before this one with 134,000 miles. I fully expect her to keep the tires for, at least, another 20,000 miles. That should take about a year. Check back then for an update. She has the wheel warranty (dealer cost) as well. More about that later.

I drive a 2007 335xi with the Continental ContiProContact with almost 17,000 miles. Both cars drive well, with the EL42s perhaps a little stiffer in the corners. Both ride fine, but be sure you have the right inflation. I found that, after my dealer rotated (front to rear) and balanced the tires, they failed to inspect the inflation. This is especially ignorant as the fronts are supposed to be at 33 psi with the rears at 36 psi. There was a noticeable rumble when the tires were down in pressure. At the right inflation, the ride is firm, as it should be, but definitely not uncomfortable, and the rumble is gone.

The reason for the rotation and balancing was a complaint I filed after hitting a pothole hard with the right front tire. I stated that there was a shimmy and a perceived flat spot on the rim. They "checked out" the tire and wheel and found no damage. Their recommendation (which I had been considering anyway) was the work they did - $129.95. My intent was to take advantage of the $795 I paid for the wheel warranty. The tire never lost pressure, and the shimmy could have been attributed to ruts and the generally poor condition of the roads in MA. In any case, the ride seems to be better once I corrected the dealerships oversights. I consider this to be routine maintenance, which BTW, was not covered in the bumper-to-bumper warranty. No S$$$!

The blogs seem to indicate that the '06 Bridgestones were definitely of inferior quality. I agree that they have (reluctantly?) made improvements. IMHO, I think you're OK with either brand (Continentals or Bridgestones). I figure I can hit at least 30,000 miles with the Contis, and I'm happy with that. When you buy into a car of this class and performance, you should expect to pay more in the long run for tires.

Hope this helps.

xeye
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I have been considering changing them to regular tires, possibly Michelins or other ones suggested by the users here. I mentioned it to the mechanic at my local dealership and he said that most likely the ride will be better. However, he said that the tire pressure will not work with the regular tire and will be lit up and there is no way that he can turn that off.

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, I'm thinking that it's time for you to find a new mechanic. FWIW, RFTs run with pretty much the exact same tire pressure as GFTs. Tell this failure of a mechanic that believe it or not, the same tire pressure will act the exact same way on the TPMS sensors.

If you feel like having a little fun at his expense, ask him to put that in writing and then send a copy to BMW.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • luckyme1luckyme1 Member Posts: 29
    I have the 2007 335i Convertible. I've had complaints about these crappy Bridgestone RFT's since 8K miles. At 13K a small bubble showed up on a front tire as well. I had not hit any potholes. It was replaced by the dealer since there was some hazard warranty with the lease. I think it was $3.00/mo. more.
    Anyway, the Bridgestone OEM tires are horrible. Noisy, rough and BMW refused to do anything about it. I've been corresponding with them, and they did nothing. I was able to suffer with those tires until 22K and purchased a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP's. What a nice change. I actually enjoy driving this car again, for the first time in 14K miles. Michelin tires made a huge improvement.
    The dealer wanted $2700 to replace the tires. Same tires from a dealer were $1500.
    I would have opted for non run flats, but when I turn this car in, it must have run flats on it. Besides, there is no place to carry a donut since the trunk is taken up when the top is down.
    This will be my last BMW (It was my third) after this tire fiasco. BMW really needs to adress a known issue. A car like this should not have such a problem tire as OEM equipment.
  • johnsamjohnsam Member Posts: 55
    John here........
    Have driven since I was 16 (now 66) and I have NEVER been so disatisfied with tires as I am with the Bridestones on my 2006 330i. Replaced new ones at 25,000 miles and now have 13,000 on replacements. Showing same wear as the first set did. Why not? They are rated with a 1 wear rating. Can't get lower!
    By now, BMW must know what they are losing with this cost cutting measure. The negative feedback FAR outweighs the positive.
    I have the Sport Package which greatly accelerates the cost of the rear tires. (Faster than the car accelerates).
    If each of us that has shown a negative reaction to these tires (on this site alone) gives the same feedback directly to BMW of North America, perhaps (and I say "Perhaps") we will provide a service to future drivers who appreciate a fine car (not the tires it rides on).
    John......Springfield, Oregon
  • hal56hal56 Member Posts: 94
    I have a 99 vette that came with goodyear rfts--too hard and too noisy--swithched to Forestone rfts and got better ride, less wheele hop and quieter.

I hear Michelin are good also.

Its a trade off between perfrmance and ride.
  • border721border721 Member Posts: 5
    Hey Guys,

Just bought an 07 328i Coupe. Now have the OEM Bridgestones on there and am in the market for new rear tires. I've read a ton of bad reviews on these tires and wondering if I should turn to GFT's instead. I was thinking getting a regular set of tires and getting a emergency tire kit (fit a flat - continental comfort kit) but the guy at BMW told me that if I put something like that in my tire it will ruin the Tire Pressure Moniter automatically. Is this true? Has anyone put GFT's on their RFT recommended car? Going to buy tires this weekend and I really need some help!

Thanks
  • hal56hal56 Member Posts: 94
    I think its the valve thats needed for tpm system--I broke a valve 8 years ago outside of Joplin Missouri--limped with my run flats to Joplin and in the morning the goodyear dealer replaced the valve with a non-tmp value--all was ok later on when I had dealer replce with new value.

the BMW could be different--this is the vette I am speaking about. I like the vette tmp better--I get a display of tire pressures--

when driving long distances thru mountains--os temps change and thus tire pressures change--somehting to watch esp at hi speeds like in AZ coming out of mountains into valley with temps changing significantly
    I think there's a good chance that if you get a flat and have to use the Comfort Kit, that you will in fact ruin the sensor on that one wheel. The thing is, should you even care? Consider the following:

- The RFTs that fit your car are typically more expensive than similar GFTs.
    - When you buy a set of four GFTs, you're probably going to save at the very least $200 compared to the cost of the OEM rubber (and depending on which GFT you buy you could save nearly $500 compared to the OEM stuff).
    - TPMS sensors are relatively inexpensive. TireRack sells them for your car for $49 per sensor.
    - The way I look at it is if you're worried about the sensors, buy a spare or two when you buy your tires and Comfort Kit. Even still, you're going to buy a better set of tires, and the kit, and the spare sensor for less than you'd pay for a set of four OEM Bridgestones.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Has anyone put regular all-season tires on their BMW that DOES NOT have a spare? If so what have you done in the case of a blowout/flat tire. I want to put A/S's on my 07' 328i coupe. I've read people carrying around a spare or slime just in-case. Will this work?
    Thanks Shipo!
  • larry175larry175 Member Posts: 68
    I have given this a great deal of thought and I believe I have it figured out.
    re: donut spare and jack: if you just drive around town a bit buying a donut and jack is a waste because with the run flats you can get a repair or new tire in your local area. But if you are going on a long trip a full size spare tire is a good idea. No jack is needed. A call to roadside assist will change your tire so you can continue on your trip, which is the important part and get the blown tire either repaired or replaced upon returning from your trip.
  • bigkevbigkev Member Posts: 33
    I disagree with Larry because I got a puncture in my runflat Bridgestone and had to wait 2 days for a replacement ( cost $325) even though I live in a major city, AND I drove with the tyre flat for over 100kms (60 miles) around town while I waited and couldn't even tell the difference. I did change my tyres to non runflat even though they were almost new because the ride was so harsh that it ruined driving pleasure. Bought Pirelli P7s and it was a different car. Great! I also bought a 'donut' spare kit because of the normal tyres and I have had a flat before and put the donut on (from a SAAB I owned) and drove around without a problem until I got the flat repaired. No need for a full size spare in my opinion but you can get them from BMW as part of a full 'spare kit'.
    Hi larry175

Problem I have found for 3 years (2006 330i) is that RFTs are not allways available were you may be driving. For instance, I am in Springfield/Eugene Oregon and neither full sized cities have the rear tires for the Sports Packaged larger size.Fronts are fine. Portland does have them but that takes 1 day (so I am told by dealers here). RFTs are not yet widely accepted so accessability is limited.
    I carry a "donut" in the trunk no matter. The tools including a power jack remain hidden in the well under the tire. I guess if a Bimmer owner makes full use of his trunk all the time, then he/she may see a problem. I don't as I only make full use when traveling or large scale grocery shopping. I guess since I never did have a full trunk (got the donut soon after buying the car) I don't miss the space.
    Regards.....John
    Great thoughts "bigkey". Agree fully and have for 3 years.
    Appreciate your advice re Pirelli P7's as I am on 2nd set of Bridestones (37,000 miles) ans with Sports Package, tire replacement is very $$$$.

Regards.....John
  • kfukfu Member Posts: 1
    Need to replace the OEM sucker EL42 on my 2006 325xi w/ sports pkg. I am struggling between the ContiProContact RFT and the Pilot Sports A/S. From the spec, Michelin is far more superior, and it's about $100 cheaper (from Costco) for a set of four. But they are not RFTs (dont like the idea of carrying a donut in the trunk). Reviews are mixed for the Conti SSR. Any recommendations?
  • cowtown09cowtown09 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for recommendations for Summer RFTs. I bought the 328xi with Winter tires on it and now that spring has finally come I need to put on different tires. I will continue to use the Winter tires seasonally, so I think I just want summer RFTs.
  • ykm330ykm330 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 330i with 18" staggered wheels. I am thinking to replace my original Bridgestone Potenza RE 050A runflat tires in the rear with the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires. Just wondering if anyone has experience using these Michelin tires before. How do they compare to the Bridgestone runflats (in terms of tread wear, noise level, and handling)? Any comment is appreciated.
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    I haven't logged a lot of time with the Conti, but based on my loaner experience with both, the EL42 seemed the more precise handler, the Conti a little softer and squishier.
    Hey Guys,

I am getting a set of 4 new, NOT RFT's for my 07' 328i coupe and need some help with deciding on which to buy. Does anyone have experience with the Mich. A/S Plus? How different (Handling, Steering Responce) would it be with the Mich. A/S Plus compared to a nice summer tire. I hear the Mich are great. I live outside of Philly, so does get fairly cold in the winter. I don't want to do the summer to winter tire switch every year, so was thinking about going with A/S's. I don't plan on driving in the snow, but was wondering if it's safe to use a Max Perf. summer tire in the winter cold. Do you just loose some performance or is it a NO NO to use a summer tire in 25 degree weather (sunny and dry).? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff
    While I've never run these tires on a BMW, I run them on my current commuter hack and they're great. The thing with All-Season tires like these is that unless you're taking your car to the track where you're driving at or near 10/10ths, it is highly unlikely you'll miss the extra traction. In exchange for that slight loss of grip, you'll enjoy a car with crisp handling tires that last twice as long (or longer) than summer rubber.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • kaz1djkaz1dj Member Posts: 9
    Hey,
    Got a set of PS A/S Plus' about 3 weeks ago from Costco. See my other posts on E90 for background on my 3 sets of RFT's.

With about 400 miles on them, they are noticeably more comfortable without being soft. Some noise, but less than RFT. Very slightly less turn in response and cornering agility than RF's. Wet handling seemed just as stable as RF's.

No warning about operating in freezing temps since they are A/S and will not feel like bricks in the winter.

Can't rotate laterally without dismounting from rims since they are directional. They should wear very well since there's a 45,000 mi. treadwear warranty on them. No warranty on RFT.

Costco mounting ran $15. per which included nitrogen, hand torquing and a road hazzard warranty. They handled my 197's with kid gloves. No scratches.

I bought am M Mobility kit for the trunk from Tischer BMW (MD).
    Total price without tax came to $1,411.96...includes $70.00 rebate from Michelin.
    Still pretty steep but BMWNA was picking up the tab.

REMEMBER - Don't go over 10,000 mi. if you want BMWNA thru your friendly dealer to replace them at no cost to you. But, they must demonstrate a noise/wear problem. Over 10,000 - 20,000mi., you might work a 1/2 & 1/2 deal.
    I guess I should've added that I have an '07 328xi with #197 18"wheels and ZSP. Purchased new and have gone through 3...count'em 3, RFT replacements thru BMWNA. Finally wound up getting the PS A/S Plus.
    Thanks for the help! So are you totally satisfied with the switch?

My main concern was the steering responce...and sounds like it is very minimal which is great. How did you get the Michelin 70$ rebate...was that solely through Costco?
    Steering response is not quite as instantaneous as the hard sided RFT. One can't expect it to be. I too am a handling "nut," but am willing to trade super crispness for just plain excellent crispness.

Michelin is giving the rebate thru dealers. Might be ending soon?

The good thing about Michelin and Costco is that, I had a brand new set of PS2 ZP's RFT on from Costco and could trade them in within a month if I didn't like them. I drove for 2 weeks. They're the best of the RF, IMHO, after experiencing all the others.
    But....still wanted A/S and a little more forgiving ride. I live in NoVA now. Roads are terrible, and that's being kind.
    Costco ordered them, then switched to the PS A/S Plus.
    I'm lovin' em.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    So what do you do about alignment. Costco doesn't do alignment, right?
    For alignment, I go to a top BMW independant garage. Had alignment checked after A/S Plus install and it was spot on.
    I wasn't charged since he really didn't have to make any adjustments.
    Nice guy, with good business sense.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yep that is a good way to run a business. I'm amazed how many repair shops "don't get it"---that repeat business will make you or break you.

Alignment checks are very important when installing new tires of course--if it's seriously off, you can eat up a new tire so fast you wouldn't believe it possible.
  • heypogiheypogi Member Posts: 5
    Hey,
    just bought 09 328 sport package. read all about the bad experiences with the RFT.
    You mentioned under 10K it's replaced by BMW?

how's the new tires feeling?

Thanks.
    See # 2267 I posted as per new A/S tires.

Again, if you have a RFT problem, make sure you bring it into your dealer and let the service mgr. see, feel and hear it. They usually contact the BMWNA Zone rep. who will come and check it out too. Be able to strongly state your case and the tires should speak for themselves. They're more apt to replace only the offending tires...usually the fronts, but push for a full set, especially if you're up around 10,000 mi.
  • steveinvtsteveinvt Member Posts: 17
    I leased a '07 328xi back in Feb '07 and my lease will be up this year. I've got a set of non RFT blizzaks that I run in winter. I am wondering if I can return the car w/ these tires or if I have to have the regular RFTs on the car? I just don't want to get charged for it.
    If you leased through BMW-FS, then I'm about 99.5% sure that your contract reads that you need to return the car with RTFs that have at least 5mm of tread depth at a minimum.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • steveinvtsteveinvt Member Posts: 17
    Thanks!
  • hyman310hyman310 Member Posts: 2
    I have been going back and forth with a dealer re tires on a 2009 328xi, and I've been told that the Continental ContiPro Contact SSR A/S tires are not available and that I can only get Bridgestone tires. I'm not sure if (1) he's BSing me, (2) this particular dealership just doesn't have any 328s with the Continental RFTs, or (3)BMW is truly not selling 328s with Continental RFTs right now. Given the numerous complaints lodged about the Bridgestone RFTs (on this thread and elsewhere), I am leery of them to say the least. If anyone has any insight/knowledge on whether the Continental RFTs are available on 2009 328s, I'd greatly appreciate hearing from you. Thanks in advance for your help.
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    I went through the same issues when I bought my '07 335xi. I wanted the Conti SSRs as well, but my dealer couldn't confirm or guarantee whether I'd get the Contis or the Bridgestones. As it turned out, the car came with the Conti SSRs.

However, my wife's '08 328xi came with the Bridgestone EL42s.

I have ~17,700 miles on the Contis with about 8,000 on the Bridgestones. Both sets are wearing and handling well.

I believe the real issues with the Bridgestones were with the '05 and '06 versions as most of the threads involve those years. A lot of people complain about the CPO older models. I have no complaints about the newer Bridgestones - in fact, they seem to handle slightly better (read: stiffer sidewalls) than the Contis.

I have a feeling that the higher end model gets preference for the Contis and the 328* might get the Bridgestones. I don't think you'd do badly with the Bridgestones, but a lot depends on how you drive.

Hope this helps.

xeye
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    I agree with xeye regarding good quality of Bridgestone versions from 07 up to now.

My 2008 335d came with summer Bridgestones. After 17,500 miles and a new pair of rear tyres of the same brand I have neither driving, riding nor noise complaint (RFT standards). Now is time of changing front tyres and I'm going for Bridgestones again.

Regards,
    Jose
    I will let you know on Wednesday. My 09 335ix with bridgestones are making quite a bit of noise and riding rough. My S.A. asked me if I had Bridgestons on and told me they are still having trouble. I am going to try for a full set of contis' so I will find out on Wednesday. I assume the factory rep has to check it out. My car has less than 8000 miles. I waited to long on the last car and when I complained the car had 22000 miles so I had to call tire rack for a set. Oh well...
  • hyman310hyman310 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to each of you for your responses - I appreciate it. Larry175, will be interested to hear the outcome of your situation.
  • beamer44beamer44 Member Posts: 17
    I ordered a 2009-328i convertible with 17"225/45 run flats-I want to replace as soon as they wear out. Where can i get a small donut & jack for it BMW says it doesn't have a spare for it. Does any place repair run flats? What all season tires do you recommend to replace the run flats? I was going to put the spare in the trunk and use if i get a flat in the run flats & try to get it fixed. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
    BMW does have a donut, jack and tire set. I have the numbers some place. But if you get a flat with rft's just drive the car to a tire repair shop and have them fix the flat. You won't need a spare. I will find the numbers for the spare and jack set and post it. Circle bmw in N.J. has them as wellas Ridgefield BMW in CT. I checked when I was going to get the set. Cost about $200.+/-
    Thanks for replying-i live in Chicago and I called 5 repair shops and they wont fix run flats. If you can find those #s that would be great.
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    I'm no lawyer, but as the manufacturer specifically states that runflats cannot be safely repaired, I would imagine that shops that perform repairs to runflats may have exposed themselves to liability claims if repaired tires were to fail catastrophically.
  • thenewbmwguythenewbmwguy Member Posts: 2
    Looking to do the same here with a 2009 328i conv. purchase but was wondering what you found out about a donut spare. Did you find one that would fit with the top down in the space left under the roof compartment? If I can do that then plan to replace runflats when worn out with go flats and keep donut in trunk. If can't do donut may have to pass on car. thanks for your help.
    PART NUMBERS FOR BMW:JACK KIT, DONUT, DONUT WHEEL AND COVER.
    BM-36120416268
    BM-36116750007
    BM-88881800859
    BM-71106773536
    CIRCLE BMW IN NEW JERSEY DISCOUNTS AND MAILS PARTS.
    CRIS IS PARTS GUY.
    RE:REPAIRING RUNFLATS-PLUG IT, PATCH IT, BALANCE AND MOUNT IT. BETTER THAN NEW. I DROVE FROM CT. TO FLORIDA AND BACK. THE TIRE DIDN'T KNOW IT HAD BEEN REPAIRED.
    HOPE THIS HELPS.
    I am still working on finding spare-BMW doesn't want to say they have a spare because they don't want you to get rid of run flats(it's a scam)they said they see the spare in the computer but cant order it because it's not available.I'm very frustrated if i go on a long trip and get a flat i cant get it fixed because most wont fix them and you have to search to buy one for $250 if tire is undrivable i will be stranded. Larry175 posted all #s to spare kit but i don't know if it matters because BMW is not allowing me to purchase it. I might just use any donut i can find.Let me know what you come up with and I'll let you know as well.
    Thanks for info Larry! I'm going to call them if i can't get them at a local BMW in Chicago. Did you keep run flats or replace them along with a spare or did you get the insurance? Does the spare fit in the trunk and how is jack? Does anyone no place in Chicago that fixes run flats? Thanks for your input.
    Larry,thanks again for your help-I have a couple questions for you-The spare tire is a Continental 17"size isn't that the same size as the 17" set of 4 tires and will it fit in the convertible trunk? Total cost for all parts are $550-can I get the spare from somewhere else other then BMW? What is BM-88881800859? Thanks again for your time and help.
    I'm waiting for the dealer to make a determination. I decided against a spare. I figure if I get a flat I will just drive to a repair shop and have it patched and plugged. If I am 1500 miles away from home I will bite the bullet and pay $ to dealer for a tire.
    The bm8888 is a cover for the tire. Try Tire Rack. Wheel specs are: bolt pattern 5x120mm, hole size 72.66mm, offset 47mm, wheel size is 17x8 w/ et34.
    Im getting a spare and a jack thanks for your help those #s came in handy