Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    edited April 2010
    Hi all,

I've ordered a new 2011 335i xDrive to replace my '07 335xi. I have ContiProContacts on the 335xi, but it's pot luck, sadly, what I get on the new version. I have 28,000 miles on the current set with not a single issue.

I have heard 'not-bad' things about the 3G version of the Bridgestone RFTs. I like the idea of the RFT and I've not had any bad experiences. Some of you will insist staying away from RFTs but I have to rely on my own experience.

My question is: Does anyone have specific driving experience, hopefully with BMW AWD, with the Bridgestone 3G RFTs in 225/45R17 All Season?

By the way, the '07 Sparkling Graphite Metallic version has only ~28,000 miles after not quite three years. I am due to receive better than KBB and Edmunds.com trade-in value for the car. The new one will be Tasman Green Metallic, Oyster w/black interior, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, H/K stereo, satellite radio, PDC front & rear. It's being built as I write this. Oh, and the heated steering wheel and HD Radio at no extra cost.

Here is a quote from Bridgestone's own web site:

Bridgestone's first run-flat tire was introduced in the early 1980s with an aim to keep disabled drivers' vehicle mobile, even after complete air loss. The Porsche 959 was the first mass-produced vehicle equipped with run-flat tires, making them standard equipment in 1987. In this early application, these tires could not offer the smooth, comfortable ride as compared to conventional tires.
    Striving to solve this problem, Bridgestone developed a second-generation run-flat tire in 2005 which offered improved riding comfort. And, in 2009, Bridgestone introduced new technology in the third generation run-flat tires, which offers almost the same riding comfort as conventional tires.
  • highlandpetehighlandpete Member Posts: 46
    Have you got Bridgestone 3G's in the States? There is nothing over here yet, the word is, they have not been signed off as approved tyres.

Bridgestone certainly are not saying when they are due in the UK either.

HighlandPete
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Geezer Power! Today's Grandpa is yesterday's Uncle :P I have a SC MINI (no longer with the dreaded RFT on top of sport suspension---ouch!) and a Norton with which to challenge mortality.
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
  • johnsamjohnsam Member Posts: 55
    INTERESTING !

Wonder what the wear rating is on these "new" RFTs?

Current tires are rated "1" which is the lowest possible. Even WalMart does not sell tires rated this low.

GIMMICK or not a GIMMICK. Only time will tell.

Regards to all.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    So...if I wanted to change my rears to 17s when my rears are rundown, is it just a matter of getting a wheel made for a 17" tire, or are there suspension, brake, or other modifications that'd be needed?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    If/when you decide to change to 17" wheels, you should change all four wheels, not just the rears. Assuming you buy wheels that fit your car, then no, other than different size tires so that you keep your overall diameter the same, you will not need to make any modifications.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • runningdocrunningdoc Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone. It just seems so anti-intuitive to be unable to rotate the tires to get the most wear out of them possible....
    edited April 2010
    If you change your tires to be the same size all around, then there will be no issues vis-a-vis tire rotation.
  • slr123slr123 Member Posts: 2
    Tired of the red exclamation point, tired of the run flats not lasting and the rough ride, tired of being blamed by BMW for my "poor driving habits" which apparently was the cause of my recent cracked rim ($457). I see an Infiniti or an Audi in my future.
  • larry175larry175 Member Posts: 68
    infinity, see. audi, no.
  • slr123slr123 Member Posts: 2
    Ok, G37 it is. Anything else I should consider?
    "POOR DRIVING HABITS" Where have I heard that before?
    The way it was put to me was, "Perhaps it is your driving habits!">>>>A nicer way of laying fault. At 67 years of age, do I speed? / take corners faster than a speeding bullet? DAMN RIGHT I DO.................That's why I bought 4 BMWs one after the other. Otherwise a Ford Fiesta would do just fine.

Anyway.........well expressed sir123.
  • timinaustintiminaustin Member Posts: 1
    Can you replace ONE tire with a non-runflat?
    I have one tire on the back that's worn out but I don't want to buy 2 new non-RFT.
    What would happen if I just replaced one?
    Would the car run like crap?
    One tire? No, don't even think about it.

One axle? Ummm, maybe.

All four corners? Yes, absolutely YES!
  • jaesee75edmundjaesee75edmund Member Posts: 39
    finally got around to putting on my new 17" rims with kumho all seasons. I gotta say that the ride is improve noticeably. a lot less noise. i don't feel all the little bumps anymore. kept one of the front oem 18 inch RFTs in the trunk as spare. what to do with the other 3? don't know. but, i don't want to sell all four and be left with no spare.

come to think of it...that's the best thing to do with RFTs, use them as spares. people often forget to check the pressure on the spare anyway. so, even if you never refill the RFT spare with any air, it would still be good to be used to get you home in case of a flat. loving my car again.
    As with all types of tires, unless you replace 1 tire with the exact same tread etc etc. you ask for trouble. This is not what it sounds like you are contemplating.

Stay clear of that idea......NO QUESTION.

John
  • jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    It will be hard to sell 3 tires/rims. If I were you, I will sell all 4 sets of identical 18" OEMs and buy a lesser set for spare. Bimmerfest is probably your best venue to sell.
    thanks,
    went on bimmerfest, but could not find button to click on for selling stuff.
    edited April 2010
    thanks. found it after following your link.
    In reflecting on the discussion about changing the tires to go-flats, I realized I am confused. I believe the posts are saying you can go to 17s and then use one of ht ecurrent front 18" runflats as a spare, but would that be safe - running with 1 tire that is larger than the others? I know usually a spare is smaller that the rest.

Maybe the posts are saying that if you go to 18" go-flats, you can use one of the original 18s as a spare?
    Changing rim size doesn't make the wheel bigger, or smaller. You will still have a rolling circumference that is virtually identical. There will be slightly different characteristics, but as a spare for emergency use, that is not the same as running a car on odd rim sizes.

For example, the 18" wheel may have a 40 aspect ratio tire, the 17" a 45 aspect ratio.

HighlandPete
  • eman17eman17 Member Posts: 1
    I Just leased a new 2010 328i convertible with sports package and 18" Michelin RFTs. After I signed the lease, the dealership pulled a slimy move and aggressively suggested that I buy the warrantly on the tires - if anything happens to them, I do not have to pay for their replacemet over the term of the lease. Also, when I turn in the car at the end of the lease (I'll drive between 20K-24k total miles over 3 years), they say I won't have to pay for replacement tires. The cost is $30/month for 36 months? Is it worth it to get this warranty - I have 60 days to cancel the warranty. Will I really need to replace the tires at the end of the lease - particularly if I am well below the alloted miles?

Also, any reason to get the warranty on the excess wear and tear up to $5000 for a cost of $25/month?

Thanks in advance
  • boston303boston303 Member Posts: 35
    This sounds VERY slimy! The warranty is for road hazards not wear. Tread wear is tread wear according to BMW and that the tires only last for around 20,000 miles is not their problem. Nor is the replacement cost of $250 or bettter per tire... I'd be very careful about what you are buying and the benefit. RFT's are about the worst thing ever put on a car.

Someone asked me today if the BMW wasn't a "Sport" sedan... My response is that with an automatic transmission ans RFT's there is a Lincoln that outperforms it and for less money. "Sport" does not compute with an automatic.
    I take it that you are referring to IF you run over a bed of nails and the tire fails because of YOUR DRIVING, then you must replace the tire at your cost.
    OR
    If you drive like a saint over the term of the lease and the tire simply wears out.

My experience over 3 Bimmers with RFTs is as follows:

1.) RFTs wear out faster than any tire I have owner over some 51 yewars of driving. I have repeatedly only obtained some 24-26,000 mile on a set >>>> with Sports Packages.

2.) I have NEVER had a blow out or puncture or failure of any kind over 3 BMWs and 5 sets of RFTs even though I have carried a "donut" spare / tools and an electric air pimp at all times. Who knows when and where a new tire will be required and NOT AVAILABLE where you are. Many places do not carry RFTs but will order them. Great if you are on a road trip and do not wish to spend a night when the flat hits you.
    But as I say, (touch wood) no problems so far.

If the dealership ;lease covers normal day to day tread wear, (GIVEN THAT A SET OF TIRES ONLY LASTS LESS THAN 30,000 MILES>>>>>AND I STRESS THAT FROM ABOVE EXPERIENCE) THEN FORGET THE WARRANTY.
    But if the dealership warranty says a set of tires should last 40,000+ miles then "HOGWASH" THAT IS BULL S_I_!!!!!! THEY DON'T. You don't want the burden of replacing tires just because THEY SAY that they should have lasted longer.

At 67 years of age, I do not "harass" my tires. They simply do not last long.

Take a look at the WEAR RATING number on your tires. Mine have always been rated "1" the lowest rating possible. Wal-Mart does not even sell tires rated "1". They do not want the complaints.

Other than the tires, the car is a dream to dive. All the best with your new car.

John - Springfield, Oregon
  • golfnut1668golfnut1668 Member Posts: 3
    please help, picking up a brand new 2010 bmw 328i xdrive friday 050710. Heard horror stories about the run flat tires. they are conti runflats. Can any one give me advise as to keep em or spend money a get a set of regular tires. should I at least try em until they fail me. live and work just outside of the boston area. I am tempted to demand my dealer replace them with regular tires or not buy car at all. Any advise from anyone is greatful. thanks. Bruce
    Read the T&C of the warranty for tires carefully. IF AND ONLY IF it does spell out as the dealership described to include normal tear and wear, which I doubt, the $1,080 may be worth it. The tires need to have a minimum of 4/32" thread when you turn in the car, so you almost certainly WILL need to replace all 4 tires over a 3-year lease -- even if you just drive 20k miles. Those 4 RFT tires can easily cost you over $1,000 installed, so it is like you get the road hazard insurance free. BUT, as others have said, it is most likely just the road hazard insurance, which is not worth it.

As to the excess wear and tear coverage, absolutely NO. BMW Financial is very reasonable. It won't nickel-n-dime you. I just returned a 2007 328i after a 3-year lease. BMW did not charge me anything, even though there were a couple dings for which I wouldn't be surprised if it chose to charge me.
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    Hi Bruce,

As luck would have it, I also live just west of Boston and drive a 2007 335xi with ContiProContact run-flats. I have about 28,500 miles on my original set and they are wearing perfectly with perhaps another 7000 to 10000 miles of wear left. I've driven them through all 4 seasons, never got stuck in deep snow, never had a flat or any issue, and the car goes as straight as possible on our crappy roads (in other words, no alignment or tracking issues).

Based on my experience, I think you can relax and enjoy your new ride!

By the way, I'm supposed to pick up a new 2011 335i xDrive, perhaps as early as tomorrow, and I have no idea whether I'm going to get Continentals, Bridgestones and, I hear through the grape vine, maybe even Michelins.

Good luck! I have my fingers crossed for both of us!

xeye
    I have 50k miles on my 2nd set of Conti Runflats... thread is still OK but noise is loud.
    Waiting for Bridgestone 3G RFT for a while now while Conti DWS non-runflat tires are out of stock...
    this 69 y.o. guy in southern Conn. drives to the cape tom visit family and at 19000 miles the ride is getting noisier and harsher. This,on whatever generation runflats from Bridgstone. A trip to the dealer is in order. But the car goes like H**l.
    thanks xeye. that makes m feel better
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I just purchased a certified 2008 328i with a little over 14k. I thought it was a little strange that the BMW dealer put a set of new Cont. on a car that has low mileage. I thought how nice of them...new tires on a new purchase...these posts explain everything I need to know about RFT's.
  • riardmriardm Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a used 3 Series on original Continental 16" RFT's. Seen all the feedback and considering whether to switch to regular tyres when next due. Have heard that regular tyres wont fit on the stock rims - anyone got any advice?

To the 3 Series owners - this is now on 40K miles - any suggetsions/gotchas on a car at this point?
  • papanelliepapanellie Member Posts: 1
    We have a set of Turauza 205/55 R16-91H Bridgestones on the wife's 07 328i. We picked up a small nail and the low pressure signal lite up on the dash. By the time we got home we had 12psi in the tire. I was told by me Les Schawb dealer that if the tire pressure falls below 20psi that the tire has to be replaced. I can't find that information on the the Bridgestone site. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited June 2010
    The tire has to be removed and examined. One doesn't just throw away an expensive tire based on some vague rule of thumb. So if it were 19 lbs, we'd still junk the tire? You see the problem here....
    switch to regular tires and don't worry about the rims. I was just hunting for tires for my wifes car and got sidetracked. Came across a tire company that explained the situation, so don't worry. Besides I changed to non run flats on my 06 330ix and driving is still a pleasure.
  • pt838pt838 Member Posts: 16
    I also have a 06 330Xi, need to change my tires soon, I am the Continentals on right now, considering changing to the Bridgestones or installing non RFT's. I live in the metro New York area and a few tire shops have discouraged installing non RFT due to the rough road surfaces here. Larry, where do live?
  • scubachicscubachic Member Posts: 1
    Hey there. I was wondering the same thing....I just purchased a 2009 BMW 335 convertible hardtop with run flat performance tires. I live in Missouri, but it does occasionally snow/ice here. Will I still be able to get to work? Does anyone else have a comment? the above is the only :sick: :sick: positive comment about the tires I've seen. I'm trying to decide if I should get different tires now, or try it out later.
    Thanks!
    Alicia
  • boston303boston303 Member Posts: 35
    Boy, this discussion keeps going on and on!! I have yet to speak with a single BMW owner on the streets or even with the BMWCCA who likes run flats!! When is BMW going to wake up? These tires are aweful! They are costly. They are unforgiving on ride quality, they are not readily available in areas we like to drive BMW's... a stupid idea that only diminishes the ability of BMW owners to fine tune their ultimate driving machine to their preference...
    my 09 is ix. in new england it drives through snow fine. but in missouri with big tires and rear drive you may slip and slide. it might be fun.
  • bigkevbigkev Member Posts: 33
    yes I had the same thing. (in Australia) my Bridgestone tyres were made in Poland and Bridgestone Australia told me that they would not allow any of their dealers to repair the runflats if punctured and I had to buy a new one. Contacted BMW Germay through my brother in law who lives there and he was told the same thing because Bridgestone claim that if the tyre ever failed or was damaged in an accident the insurance co might claim on them because it has not been proven that runflats are as good if they've been repaired. It's bullsh##t to protect the agreement between bMW and Bridgestone. I changed to non runflats and the ride is 300% better. I now have the lates model 3 series and it's got Continental runflats which are miles better than the Bridgestones but I don't know about repairs (yet - fingers crossed)
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I have Continental RFT,s on my 08 328i and have no issues with them.
    Maybe a better thing to say is that you have no perceived issues. My bet is that if you put GFTs on your car you will not believe how much better it rides and handles. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    edited July 2010
    . . .I had the same thing. (in Australia). . .

Interesting to hear that this is even more of a world-wide situation than I had thought. I can't remember the guy's name, but there's a Scotsman who posts from time to time here as well.

The RFTs are one of the two primary reasons I'm not driving a BMW today. It's apparent BMW couldn't care less. There's always more at the door who will hock whatever they have to to drive a BMW, regardless of much else.

Some of (many of?) the enthusiasts are dropping away, but so long as the numbers go up, who cares (besides several of us, that is)?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Bridgestone RFT 2G is worse than Continentals.

I don't know what happened to the 3G product.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/06/reviewed-bridgestone-3g-rft-tires-taking-the-- shock-out-of-run/
    Run-flat tires are certainly a major issue here in the UK. One of the most discussed issues on the forums, between customers, BMW garages and emails to BMW UK.

Run-flats have really messed up BMW cars, don't work at all well on a lot of UK roads and without replacing with conventional tires, will have lost a lot of BMW users. In fact some users have turned away from BMW because of the tire issues.

With normal rubber, the cars can be transformed to what some of us are used to as a 'real' set of BMW dynamics.

HighlandPete
    Bridgestone 3G's.....? Seems there is a delay in getting them to production. I've been in contact with a Bridgestone engineer and offered to try a set, they are not yet available in the UK. Word is, they haven't been signed off by BMW. Not sure that is a fact, or just chatter.

What we do know, they have to be the total solution, or ''egg on face" comes to mind.

HighlandPete
    For those of you who switched to go-flats, any issue with trunk space? I imagine if you put a runflat in your trunk, you'll have virtually no room. A donut will still take up significant space.

I know this may not be important for day-to-day driving, but over July 4th weekend, my wife and I decided to take my car on the family vacation instead of her minivan, since we didn't expect to go shopping, and the trunk was just big enough for my family of 4. I don't think that would have worked, even if we only used a donut spare.