Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Run Flat Tires

Comments

• johnsamjohnsam Member Posts: 55
    For 2 Bimmers (both 3 series) I have run RFTs as they came with the car when purchased new.
    In both caese, I equip the car with a "donut" spare / electric jack (lighter plug in type) / tools etc.
    YES. There is truck space loss but we have not notices that we cannot pack all we need because of it. A day's shopping is the worst situation (more that a weekend's traveling).
    After all, the "donut" sits neatly and quietly on the truck's floor.

Have a great day!

JOHN - Springfield, Oregon
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    My wife has a 2008 328xi with RFTs. With all the junk she carries around in her trunk, there's no way she could carry a real donut let alone a spare tire of any size. The trunk of my 2011 335i xDrive has my golf clubs, a NOAH car cover and a California Car Duster and, with the notable exception of the golf clubs, I have been able to put all of it to good use.

My (traded-in) 2007 335xi has 29,150 city and highway miles and 3 New England winters on the Continental ContiProContacts. My wife has about 25,000 miles on the OEM Bridgestone EL42s and my new ride has the Continentals again. Neither of us has had any trouble or complaint whatsoever with the tires. In fact, the OEM tires on the '07 are in such good shape that the car is now on sale at my dealership as a CPO vehicle with the original ContiProContacts.

Someone will undoubtedly retort that the handling would be better with GFTs but the risk of a serious accident at highway speeds if a tire suddenly goes flat is a far bigger issue than a slight reduction in handling. Since I've never driven my car on GFTs, as far as I'm concerned, there is no difference, and I have the use of the entire trunk all the time.

Unless, or perhaps until, I have any issues with the tires, I wouldn't have it any other way.

xeye
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    A couple of points:

-- Both of your cars apparently have the All-Season version of the RFTs, a longer lived (from a tread wear perspective) and a rather more compliant (but still stiff) tire than the ones mounted on the cars with a sport package.

-- Cars in general and BMWs in particular have been running around for decades with GFTs and even in the event of a high speed blowout (something that is exceedingly rare), a serious accident is an extremely remote possiblity. Remember, we're not talking about a Ford Explorer here, we're talking about BMWs. Think about it this way, back in the pre-RFT days (which in the case of most manufacturers is today), running down the Autobahn in Germany at 150+ and suffering a tire failure is still very unlikely to result in an accident. Said another way, given the sophistication of modern stability control systems, having a catastrophic tire failure at only 80 mph or so will be no more dramatic than suffering a loss of pressure in RFT tire. Simply pull to the side of the road and have the tire changed.
  • jaesee75edmundjaesee75edmund Member Posts: 39
    yep, there's virtually no room left after the full size spare. but, then again, i don't use my car for vacationing with the family. that job falls to our suv. I use my car for commuting, running errands, and the occasional grocery. I can also use it for weekend getaways with the wife. just put the bags in the back seat.

the go flats make the ride so much better, it's worth hogging up the whole trunk with an extra wheel. :)
    All the same, I like not having to change my tires twice a year and having the trunk space. I also like the decreased likelihood of having to change my underwear after a front tire blowout at high speed, resulting accident or not, even in a BMW.
    Just messing with you here. ;)

"All the same, I like not having to change my tires twice a year..."

Last time I checked, GFTs were still available in the All-Season variety. ;)

"I also like the decreased likelihood of having to change my underwear after a front tire blowout at high speed, resulting accident or not, even in a BMW."

If you suffer a spontaneous "blowout" (something I haven't heard of happening in decades, especially with speed rated tires) as opposed to a catastrophic tire failure due to impact, there may be some difference in how the car handles, but at the sedate speeds we travel at here in the States, any difference will be negligible. As for the catastrophic tire failure due to an impact with road debris or a curb or a pot-hole, I seriously doubt the RFT will behave any better (and possibly worse) when it comes to safely getting your vehicle over to the side of the road.
    Most of my driving is in the 'burbs west of Boston or on the highways trying to get out of Boston. I try to stay away from Storrow Drive (rush hour race track for lunatics!) and the more insane areas where the roads go in every direction at the same time. If you're first in line when the light turns green and remain motionless for more than 1.2 nanoseconds trying to figure where the heck you are, the morons behind you get on the horn and will not hesitate to pass you on the sidewalk.

I've been here 7 years. The thought of having to struggle to get out of the way should the unfortunate flat happen and leave me vulnerable still makes me very uneasy. In this asylum of pseudo-drivers, they can spot injured prey like a lion can sniff out a bleeding antelope from miles away.

Give me 300 hp, 300 lbs-ft of torque and the Run (-away) Flats any day!

I also only mentioned the all-seasons because you did. I thought the EL42s and the ContiProContact were the only RFTs available on the 3-series, and they're both all-season tires?

Your turn. ;)
  • jagostjagost Member Posts: 13
    I had 23000 miles, and I had thread life remaining, but I got a nail in my tire. So every third day I had to put air in the tire. I was stuck with the following choices, I only needed one tire, but I have to buy the pair for balancing and alignment purposes. But why not replace all for at once. But what happens if I get another nail on my new RFT at 5000 miles, do I replace two tires again for balancing and alignment purposes. I telephone BMW, and they quoted me $1600 dollars for four run flat tires, installed and balance. I called a local tire dealer and I was quoted $800.00 for four regular tires, installed and balance. And if I get a flat, I can patch it for 25 dollars. The ride does feel better.

On another note. I may have brought another set of run flat tires, if the new 3G RTF tires were out. But Bridgestone and BMW missed up. They announced this new tire technology almost 15-most ago, and as of date, nothing. BMW advises the new 3G will be out next year. Why announce with fan fair a technology that will not be available to the public for almost three years, and make it sound like it is right around the corner.
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    Did you save your 3 RFT tires which you could still use or sell for lease return purposes.

What non-RFT tires did you end up getting, and did they re-use the tire sensor from the RFTs or did you have to buy new TPMS sensors for 4 tires?

Did you buy some patch kit in case you get a flat on the road?
  • jgraffmanjgraffman Member Posts: 14
    I put a set of Michelin HX MX M4 tires on my 06 325xi sport wagon about a year ago. Wundebar! Very quiet and great handling.
  • bigkevbigkev Member Posts: 33
    I have posted previously from 'down under', and have persevered with these bloody runflat tyre problems.
    I only use the car on local suburban roads, and on the highway occasionally. My previous (07) 3 series had Bridgestones and I changed to non runflats and bought a donut spare kit after 1000 kms.
    My 09 model has Continentals and they are 100% better, but the cars still rides bumpy over our roads.,
    I finally talked to somebody (Fred ?) from our biggest Continental depot in the state who told me this: deflate the tyres to 25 PSI and drive with that pressure. I did, and the ride is miles better. Like a 'normal' car. Maybe they'll wear out a bit quicker but i don't do many miles a year. I had a flat in one of the Bridgestones and didn't even notice it. Drove around for about a week wondering why the dashlight kept coming on. (I'm 66, and getting a bit vague) Anyway, the moral is that they are designed to run FLAT. So, if they are under inflated a bit so what. I know, I'll stir up a hornets nest with this but I'm sick of being told by idiot tyre fitters to over inflate the tyres, otherwise the sky will fall.
    Let em down and be comfortable! :mad:
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    "........they are designed to run FLAT......."

They are designed to run flat for 50 miles at 50 mph! The problem is the way they will fail. The actual failure will occur under the sidewall support and you won't be able to detect it until it actually loses structual integrity. I'm just glad you're half a world away so I won't be anywhere near you when it happens!
    I dont mean drive with them flat - just a few pounds under the recommended inflation pressure which is 29 PSI (BMW figures) to make the car more comfortable :) . Continental should know, and they said it! Anyway, glad to know somebody reads our posts.http://www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/emotorcons/emo_smiley.gif
  • silverprius1silverprius1 Member Posts: 2
    When you changed from run flats to regular tyres, did you inform your insurance company, or do you need to? I'm considering changing to regular tyres on my '07 335i.
    Hi

Yes, I checked with ALIANZ and they said it wasn't a problem because tires aren't considered a modification to the car. I double checked and got the same answer. I also checked with BMW and they said it wouldn't affect my warrantee in any way.
    If you do this, you will think you've got a new car! Amazing difference!
    The other thing is you can buy a "spare wheel kit" from BMW which is a donut spare, jack and a zip up bag to store it in. I found out that by buying the same items separately from the dealer spare parts section worked out over 1/3rd cheaper. Check that out if you do it.
    let's know sometime ahead if you changeover . regards, Kev :)http://www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/emotorcons/emo_smiley.gif
  • silverprius1silverprius1 Member Posts: 2
    Cool, thanks.

I'm insured with Allianz as well. I've just changed one tyre, so now I'll wait until these tyres ware out and will seriously consider using regular tyres. The run flats are ridiculously expensive and in my experience, don't do what they're meant to, that is, let you drive long enough to get to a tyre shop to get them replaced or repaired. I'll let you know what I do when the time comes. Do you recommend any tyre in particular? Cheers.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    how much did you pay for the "spare wheel kit" from BMW? Doe's it take much space in the trunk?
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    Aren't you losing quite a bit of mpg running 25 PSI? What was before and after mpg?
    I can only tell you in Australian dollars because that's where I am. We pay almost double for imported cars compared to you guys in the US because they (Govt) claim it protects our local manufacturers. It was about $450 (near enough the same in US$)
    It takes up some room but not as much as i thought it would because it ties down with the hooks just behind the back seat. We don't travel much so don't use suitcases etc. OK in general
    Suprisingly it's exactly the same. My car is a diesel, and uses 7.3ltrs/100km. In 'real measurements' i.e. miles per gallon which we used to have before the idiots in the govt decided because the hundreds of thousands of 'public servants' (ha, ha) didn't have anything to do they would change half of our system to metric, its about 37 mpg.
  • abby31abby31 Member Posts: 2
    Did anyone consider a petition or litigation against BMW regarding the spare tire? I am infuriated with BMW because I did not know the car did not have a spare. The ride is atrocious and I am afraid to travel without a spare. I know a lawyer somewhere is willing to pursue this case and determine the validity of this dilemma. :mad:
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    If the ride is "atrocious," why'd you buy the car? It was pretty obvious from looking at the trunk that there was no spare.
  • abby31abby31 Member Posts: 2
    First, BMW has a reputation for delivering a great product (That is not so now) so I did not see the need for an extended test drive. Second, why would I look for a spare tire? I had my previous BMW so long I never thought to look for a stupid spare tire. I assumed it was present. If you notice the trunk space has not diminished. The new models have a smaller storage space in the location for the spare tire. I changed to traditional tires and the ride improved which is why I called the run flats atrocious. By the comments on this site and others I am not alone regarding my sentiments.
  • harrylymeharrylyme Member Posts: 4
    I bought a used 2008 328i with Pirelli runflats in October of 2008 with about 16,000 miles on it. Those tires got progressively worse, rougher, and louder, but they did last 25,000 miles, which is longer than I expected.

I finally got Continental Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires yesterday. The ride is much improved. However, I have a question regarding psi. The people at Discount Tire filled the tires to 35 psi claiming that was the appropriate amount because these are performance tires. The door sticker and manual for the car state 29 psi.

What is the appropriate level?
    How many cars has the knucklehead in the tyre dealer designed and built? BMW know. the correct pressure is 29 PSI. I have been through this so many times...drives you crazy. I have (on the advice of Continental) deflated mine to 25 PSI and the ride is even better. It's interesting that I live in Australia and everything is the same as US. They always over inflate tyres and tell us that the manufaturers are wrong. Maybe mine will wear out a little quicker at 25 PSI but it's so much more comfortable it's worth it.
  • harrylymeharrylyme Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply. I also found an answer on Continental's website. Its website says to stick to the manufacturer's recommended psi unless you are switching between light truck and passenger tires.
    I fell for a similar thing when bought my first ever BMW. The test drive around the local suburban bumpy roads was hard but the salesman said it was because they always pump the tires up higher than usual because they usually sit in the showrooms for a while. I know that's true because I've bought lots of cars in my 65 years. OK I thought, I'll just let them down if we buy it. Wife loved it and we did. It never occured to me to ask if it had runflat tires because no other cars sold in Australia has them, and to be honest I'de never heard of them. I assumed the spare was in the well under the mat as usual. It was only after I got it home that I found out about the runflats etc. The car handled so badly it was almost dangerous on a wet, bumpy road. After a lot of arguing with the dealer without any success, I just went and got non runflats and it was a different car.
    I've had lots of cars, and in my younger days was a Police driver training instructor, and also drove 'open wheeler' junior formula race cars. If anybody should have thought of this I should have but I didn't, so you are not a 'stupid woman' --- the idiot who came up with this scheme in BMW to save a few $ is the stupid one. So there! :mad:
  • rprice1rprice1 Member Posts: 9
    I had exactly the same experience. Bought the car not knowing anthing about runflats and expecting a spare. Car handled atrociously. Replace runflats with regular tires and my 325 handles like a different (and terrific) car!
  • bmwannabe2bmwannabe2 Member Posts: 1
    Bigkev, Please tell me more about the spare wheel kit. I have called two BMW parts managers and they have never heard of it. I think, for me, if I cannot find this kit, I will pass on the 335d because of the run flat tires.
    BMWannabe2
  • boston303boston303 Member Posts: 35
    Best thing is to sell the BMW and go to the local Lincoln dealer and get an MKZ with all wheel drive. 328 Vs this car is a no brainer given the technology of AWD, but then Lincoln moves WAY ahead in the cabin tech area. BMW cannot even come close. Automatic transmissions in both cars? the case gets stronger for Lincoln all the time. Fine jump to a 335 and you have a fire breathing rocket ship, but again if it is with an automatic transmission you have to ask why the heck you even want the car?? Straight line acceleration? Highway thrills? Not a chance of being a driver's car. Gone from being the Ultimate BMW is now full of joy.. I would suggest full of something else.
    Hi
    I phoned the BMW dealer that I got my spare kit from last time, and they said that there is a kit which includes a 'false floor' panel, or you can buy a donut spare, jack and bag like I did as seperate parts. They have to order these items from BMW. Last time somebody asked me the same question and I found the part numbers and sent to him but I can't place the paperwork now. Although i am in Australia the part numbers are universal and the same worldwide. I suggest you try again and maybe phone BMW direct. Or speak to the sales manager of a new car dealership near you and explain and ask them to find out.
    It wasn't easy, but you can do it if you persist.
    regards, Kev :)
  • johnsamjohnsam Member Posts: 55
    Why not use:
    1.) "Donut" spare that you can find in excellent shape at any auto wrecker.
    2.) "Tire Tools" same as above.
    3.) I found it easier to buy a powered jack in carrying case.

I have used above for 3 Bimmers now. HA!!!!!!!! NEVER HAVE HAD TO USE

John
    Springfield OR
  • disco99disco99 Member Posts: 74
    edited August 2010
    Just picked up a BMW 18" wheel/tire combo from Ebay as a spare. It will sit in my trunk over a nice rubber cargo mat.
    I live in NY. If I had to drive 50 mph on a flat tire to go anywhere on business days; I'd starve!!!!!!!!!
    For every flat I get I'll replace it with a regular tire preferrably the the Nitto 555s..They're truly great tires but not prohibitively expensive.

What are your thoughts???
    I thought about a donut but I do take several long road trips. I guess old habits are hard to ditch. I am hoping to have a new set of Nittos on my car before the winter.

Any better suggestions for tires. Your expertise is welcome.
    Hey the angst that BMW has provided with their adherence to these "Friggin" run flats is enough to say buy another car!!! Unless you are considering a 335 or better heck a 328 XI is no better than a Ford Fusion, Lincoln MKZ.. In fact the tech is likely better in the Ford product!! If you have to have straight line acceleraction like the M# or 335 go for it, but remember the tires still suck. BMW can go from the ultimate driving machine to the joy of something...have fun.. I am off BMW...
    Hmmm, a Ford Fusion over the 328i or 328xi? No thanks. Don't get me wrong, the Fusion is a fine car for the money but it is an understeering/nose heavy pig compared to a 328i. That and you cannot get a stick with anything beyond the four-banger mid-line SE model or RWD on any model. For my money it will be the 328i each and every time.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited August 2010
    For every flat I get I'll replace it with a regular tire. . .

Bad plan.

I doubt that you're old enough to have had to deal with the transition from bias-ply tires to radials, but the caution at the time was to NEVER mix the two. I ignored this once (had a bias-ply spare) & when I went around a 270 deg on-ramp that way, it was definitely worth the price of admission. Fortunately there weren't any other vehicles in the vicinity. Never again.

By all means you should replace the RFTs with real tires, but do them all at once & sell the originals on E-Bay. God knows, there's a market for them.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Should be Ok if you replace two tires, not just one and fit them to the rear so you have matching 'pairs' front and rear. I would leave the runflats on the front, but it probably doesn't matter. Not a good idea to mix them though and have one odd one. :)
    I should refine my comment and limit the comparison to a Ford Fusion with automatic transmission 328 XI's... The small, and I mean VERY small percentage of stick shift 328's are an exception and those owners are likely to be real drivers... Automatic transmissioned BMW's though and I stick to the comparison. The Fusion is a great competitor and a winner in several areas; tires, technology and price. I will likely never own another BMW. Love Audi's new ads and Porsches look great. Course I still love my S2K.
    While I'd never willing set my butt in a 328i (or xi) with an automatic transmission (regardless of which seat said butt would be sitting in), I will assert that there are any number of drivers out there that value the vastly superior handling of any variety of a 328i over a Fusion.

I've driven Fusions with both engines (i.e. the I4 and the V6), and while the four-banger Fusion does pretty well in the handling department, it doesn't hold a candle to even a non-SP 328i. The V6 version of the Fusion is another story entirely; that car is (as I said before) a grossly understeering pig when rounding your friendly neighborhood freeway ramp, regardless of the drivetrain downstream of the transmission.

As for the Fusion being a winner in "several areas", the tires are easily fixable (and if I ultimately buy another BMW that comes with RFTs I'll surely swap the tires out for GFTs), the value of the better "technology" is extremely questionable in my mind, and given the different market spaces these cars occupy, I believe the price argument to be irrelevant.

Now, if you were comparing an Audi A4 2.0t to a 328i, then I'd be hard pressed to come up with significant objective arguments that favors one over the other. :shades:
  • jeanrvictorjeanrvictor Member Posts: 11
    Try these part #'s for the Jack Kit, Donut, Donut Wheel & Cover;

BM-36120416268
    BM-36116750007
    BM-88881800859
    BM-71106773536

JV
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    edited August 2010
    I took them off the day I bought my car. I don't know if it's a German thing or not.The noise and ride would drive me crazy.
    What made me mad was the dealer wouldn't swap them out.So I had to buy 6 tires, Continetals and have two studded for winter , plus wheels.
    Now the dealer tells me this isn't the old days and I should have the same 4 tires on all year round. Who is right.? I think he is upset because I went to Tire rack. Beside my car is an I model,not AWD.
    BMW makes the Mini don't they and they will give you you choice of runflats, or all season tires?
    I like a rear wheel drive car and the soon to be exstinct six speed tranny.
    You absolutely positively should have all four tires the same, and none of them should be studded. Said another way, you need one set of four "performance" or "all-season/no-season" tires for summer and a second set of four "winter" tires for the slippery seasons.
    Thanks Guys. I am definitely buying a matching set and I'll sell these old tires on Ebay. Once done, I will have restored some sanity in my life. There have been a number of near death blowouts on runflats that have been largely ignored by the BMW.
    From I have heard from some bimmer owners; someimes the car is not even driveable at all on these tires.
  • lehrer1lehrer1 Member Posts: 54
    I have BMW 06 325i manual with 3L engine and 2010 Fusion SE auto with 3L V6.
    They are different cars for different purposes.While I admire BMW for handling and a solid built I do not see much differences in both engines as a user. Advantages of L6 look to me like a mirage in comparison with V6. Both engines are equally good. Fusion has acceleration similar to BMW 06 325i, is very quiet, has better audio, has Synk and has no BMW problems with RFT's. And it is much chipper. I am not advocating for Fusion, I am glad that at last Ford built a good car.
    PS The Fusion's steering is worse than by previous models and not to compare with BMW.
    Lehrer1
    Yep, and even though you have a standard shift BMW, you had some good words for teh Ford.. Now imagine your BMW with an automatic, so we can largely remove the "sport" asoect of the BMW. Does the Fusion move even with or ahead of the BMW?
    edited August 2010
    Even the slowest 3-Series in years (the 2006 325i) saddled with an automatic and all season tires will handily beat a 2010 Fusion V6 around a track.

Please understand, I do like the Ford; for the money it is a screaming bargain (especially with the I4 and three pedals under the dash) and a car that I usually opt for when I'm on the road and needing a rental. That said, none of the Fusion models like to be pushed hard around curves and none of them offer the visceral feedback to let you know what is going on down there on the road surface. If you value the "drive" more than the "goodies", then putting a Fusion up against a 3-Series makes for a poor comparison; however, if all one cares about is the stuff, then why bother opting for a BMW.
    "Does the Fusion move even with or ahead of the BMW? "
    The answer is: NEVER.

Thank you for your message.
    Agree.
    Thank you.
  • jgraffmanjgraffman Member Posts: 14
    Sept '07: '06 325xi Sportwagon. Replaced Bridgestone Turanza's at 7700 miles due to cupping. BMW paid for go-flat Michelin replacements. I let BMW select the tire, don't recall the name, but they were Michelin peformance tires with about the same level of road noise as the Turanza's.

Oct '09: BMW reports uneven tire wear (15,000 miles on tires), recommends rotation, a complete reversal of their previous policy. Further examination reveals bent rim. Bought another set of Michelins. This time I picked out the tire (HX MX M4). Very little road noise.

Aug '10: Purchased 09 328i with 8000 miles and Bridgestone Potenza's. Very little tread wear. I was surprised at the low road noise.

My Sportwagon weighs about 500 pounds more than my 328i, but has smaller tires. (225/45 17 vs. 255/40 17). It appears that BMW figured out they needed a more substantial tire. Does anyone know?