Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Escalade

Comments

• skatieighty420skatieighty420 Member Posts: 2
    Earlier today I wanted to replace a burnt out light on my clock.. By mistake the ground wire that is connected to a clip that plugs into to clock came out n touched with the grey wire. Sooner or later I noticed that none of my lights on my instrument cluster were working neither the lights on the radio nor the comfort controls. I also noticed that when i check all the fuses to the instrument cluster they were all in woking condition, none of the fuses were burnt out..After checking the fuses i notice the radio illumination would come on but when i turned on the parking lights they would turn off... My truck is totally dark inside..why is that or how can i fix this problem?? Can someone plz help me with this electrical problem..
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    While you're waiting for a reply here you may want to try Electronic Gremlins: Electrical Problems That Are Driving You Crazy.

tidester, host
  • skatieighty420skatieighty420 Member Posts: 2
    my truck is a 2002 Cadillac Escalade 6.0.. Caddy's are so weird to fix
  • jamessahaljamessahal Member Posts: 55
    It was massive! It was parked next to a Cayenne in a car park and the Caddy was hanging out of its space! Not designed for UK roads at all. Walked past it as well and ahad a look inside and it was TACKY! How well do these things sell in the US compared to more classy 4x4s like the X5, LR3, XC90 and RX330?
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    James.... surprisingly, Escalades have been selling really well since they first came out in the new design (2002, I think). I was half way considering one about a year ago but with our gas prices going up so much, getting 13 miles per gallon is not too cool.

The new 2007 Escalade does have a nice look to it and hopefully will have a fold down 3rd seat.

The X5's, LR3's, SC90's are not known to be the most trouble free form's of transportation. The Lexus RX330 probably is the most trouble free but I'm not a Lexus person myself (have two Mercedes) and a 1964 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III.(left hand drive). I would buy a Lexus just for the "reliability" factor not for the "look" factor.

What do you drive?

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    I don't, I'm 14!
    Sorry James, I thought you were older. So, how is the bike working? LOL, just kidding.

Mabye one day you can get a nice looking Aston Martin convertible---right hand drive of course!

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    LOL! Ha Ha don't ride a bike.
    Although i have actually driven before!
    I went to this place where from the age of 14 you have a lesson for 2 hours on a private course and i did well!!
    Watch out Michael Schumacher!!!!
    Ok then James, what do your parents drive?

And, if you could pick out your first "realistic" car, what would a first time driver in the UK drive if given the choice?

Mark
    BMW M3
    BMW X5 4.4

Mine... Hmmm Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI or 2.0 TDI
    James,

Sharp looking cars that your parents have. Neither one of those are gas saving vehicles. I can only imagine what it would cost to fill one of those up as much as your fuel costs.

I'm assuming that fuel is about $6.00 (US) per gallon. I know that citizens of the UK buy fuel by the liter. There are 3.78 liters per gallon.... I'm not sure what the pound sterling is compared to the US. dollar... whatever it is... your fuel costs are outrageous!

But, you don't have to drive very far compared to the miles/kilometers in the USA.

Drive safe, be cool, and mind your parents!

Mark
    We're struggling to afford to run the X5 and recently we have been doing about 200 miles and day twice a week n after each journey it needs to be filled up. So i think we'll get rid of it soon and replace it with something else.
    How prestigeous is the Escalade and are the buyers usally old people of family people that are wealthy?
    James, this is just my opinion, but, Escalade buyers are not wealthy per se. Others may chime in with their opinions.

These vehicles run about $52,000-$62,000 (MSRP) depending how they are loaded (Navigational, extended chassis version, sunroof, etc). They have been really popular with the rap groups but they usually trick them out with a lot of custom features.

It's not unheard of to get $10,000 off the list price especially on year end models. And if financed for 60 months or more, middle class people can afford an Escalade.

From what I see, the age of the buyers aren't necessarily old... maybe ages from 35-55. To me, "older" would be 70+ and "old" would be about 80+ years of age. It all depends on ones perspective. The older you get, the higher numbers don't seem so old. A 30 year old person seems a like a very young adult to me.

About prestigious, my neighbor has a 1957 Bentley sedan (beautiful car) and a 1999 Mercedes S500. The Bentley is so classy looking so I think it looks more prestigious then a new Escalade or a Mercedes. Almost anybody can drive an Escalade, especially, one that is a couple of years old.

How much is fuel in your area?

M.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Mark is right, james - the Escalade isn't that special. Frankly, the Range Rover, one of your own, is far more prestigous in the States. What does your family think of those? To own one of those, you need to be a little better heeled. Cadillac ain't what it used to be here - in fact, America doesn't produce a real status car anymore IMO.
    I have been to America and loved the Infiniti FX the moment i saw it. I go on a lot of the manufacturers websites and look and find out about their models so now about prices, specs etc and have seen them in music videos.
    Over here now the only people that drive 4x4s are women. Blonde women. Blonde women with 2 kids. I think what you call "soccer moms". The Range Rover is rated as one of the best over here and we like it too. My dad hates all 4x4s and just buys them because its what my mum wants. The Range Rover is wayyyyyyyyy too expensive though. We like the new Discovery but its bigger than the RR. We like the Murano, Touareg and the RX.
    The only people over here though that drive Escalades are "chavs" (its a new word now lol) who lack class and taste. Everyones fave here is the XC90, X5, and now the new Discovery.
    Our fave is the Murano and one we would like next (may seem like a stop down but whoah that low price compared to everything else!)
    What do you guys think of any of the european cars and japanese rivals listed?
    James, my nephew and his wife have a Nissan Murano. They are nice but the thing that bothers me about most of the Nissans, is that they have the cheapest looking instrument panels. I have had a couple of Nissan Maxima's (1987 & 1989)in the past and they are good and reliable cars.

My brother has a 2003 RR Discovery and really likes it. He says he gets an average of 15 mpg and is thinking of getting something that gets better mileage. The only flaw with the Discovery is that the turning radius is awful. I'm not sure about the new LR3, hopefully that has been corrected. My Mercedes ML500 has a wonderful turning radius.

Another friend of mine has the new VW Touareg..... and seems to like it just fine.

I think there is a market for the Escalade. If GM would improve the looks of the interior on the new 2007 model, they will have a good following. GM cars are pretty reliable. My parents have had a string of GM cars (Oldsmobile and Buick) for many years and they were really good cars, especially, the more recent ones.

The high end imports that we get here are mostly fully loaded whether it be Mercedes, Jaguar, Range Rover, BMW, Volvo, Lexus, Infinity, etc. I've been to Europe many times and it's interesting to see simple Mercedes and BMW.... clothe interiors, hub caps, roll windows, no sunroofs, etc.

Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/ Infiniti are nice but I don't leans towards them for style.

Mark
    Hey, Thats why i asked about how the Escalade does in the U.S. because its interior is so dated compared to toehr rivals. Went to Land Rover todah and they has a basic LR3 in, couldnt make my mind up about it if i liked it or not, space was fantastic though.
    The Range Rover sport and Range Rover were very nice and the ones to go for i think if you have the money too.
    Question: Why is it difficult to find 0-60 mph figures on american cars and cars sold there?
    Is it because they arent as important over there as how much it can tow?
    Here its the other way, what a car can tow doesnt seem to be as important as how fast it can get to 60. But are limit here is 70 mph on the motorway so maybe thats why its more talked about...
    James, I wouldn't say the Escalade is "so outdated" compared to it's rivals. The Escalade is a truck, built on a truck chassis. It has a wonderful towing capacity compared to the German, Swedish, Japanese rivals.

What is so bad about the interior?? To me, most GM dash boards are "too" plasticy, which makes it look cheap. The leather is nice, the feel of the door opening and closing and the steering are comparable to a German vehicle. The 6.0 liter V8 is a powerful engine that will give 13 mpg in the city

I stopped by the local Cadillac dealer this last Sunday and the new STS has a nice looking updated dash. I like the look of the SRX suv but it has the same cheap looking dash as the CTS. If Cadillac would put "Lexus" interiors in their cars, they would sell a whole lot more. People who buy Lexus and Cadillac want soft and cushy luxury interiors. Cadillac comes up a little short.

I also looked at the Range Rover LR3 recently because it's a strong contender if I trade my 2002 Mercedes ML500 in this December. The interior of the LR3 is nice but they use a little too much plastic too. I want seven seating capacity. The Volvo Cross Country is also in the running if I choose a wagon.

I don't usually have a problem finding the 0-60 figures on American cars. But, I look more for horsepower than the 0-60.

The Cadillac Escalade has over 300 horsepower and will get more with the new version in 2007 if I'm not mistaken.

James, you never answered my question, how much is fuel in the UK?

Mark
    Average price of fuel: 91.9 pence per litre. The type of litres that we work in is different to yours so....
    Someone worked out in another forum area that its something like $7 to you.
    The Escalades shape of the dashboard is ugly! That would not sell here because our cars had dash's that looked like that in the 60's and 70's!!!
    The 6.0 V8 345hp. Great for towing but a BMW X5 3.0 Diesel has only a little less torque. 369 ib-ft vs the Escalades 380 ib-ft. The X5's peak torque comes in lower too at just 2000rpm. AND, it does much better than 13mpg, its urban figure is 26mpg and combined is 32mpg!!
    It also has 218 hp and 0-60 in 8.3 secs.
    Dont you think this is a better engine looking at the figures?
    James, the engine is a moot point... we can't get that engine here. BMW does not import diesel engines to the US. If we reached $7.00 a gallon, maybe the government would allow the engine to be imported.

Personally, I would love to have that diesel engine. I like efficiency.

Keep in mind, Americans don't really care about gas mileage when gas is reasonably cheap. So, the gas engine will win every time over the diesel.

Most Americans don't like the sound or vibration of a diesel or the smelly exhaust (although it's getting better with lower emissions).

Also, the Escalade is not comparable to the BMW X5, it's much smaller and can only seat 5, the Cadillac can seat 7 and comes in two different wheel bases (long and longer) LOL.

Ciao, Mark
    I know you cant get it there but im just giving you something to compare. I think that it should be imported over there because here, it is rated as one fot he best diesel engines on sale.
    Personally, i wouldnt buy a diesel. Reviewers do say that it is hard to tell that they are a deisel except for when they are at idle. I dont want a rattly engine that sounds like a tractor when you turn it on.
    I prefer the SRX over the Escalade and its dash is nicer but its still not as nice as something like an RX or a XC90. Thats coming over here too soon i think but without a diesel, not expectin to see many of those on the roads then. I really hate the Escalade but i love it too! So i want one! LOL:S
    I'm sure you feel very safe in them when travelling in one. When i went to New York, i saw a Hummer on the road, (same car an an Escalade really) and it didnt look that big. Then i sat in one when i went to Florida n it felt nice and spacious inside. Came home and saw a black one on the road it looked stupid over here.
    I have sat in a Escalade too, there s aplace here that does imports off them and the leather was nice and it was comfy to sit in. I just thought that, for this kind of money, why not buy something with a bit more class?
    The ESV to me, looks like a van from the 3rd window til the end of the vehicle, the window looks too long.
    Does the Escalade do better than the Lincoln Navigator in terms of sales?
    James, the Cadillac ESV doesn't really look funny over here because so many vehicles are long like that ( Chevrolet Suburban, GMC Yukon XL, Ford Excursion... and not as long... the Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator, Toyota Sequoia, etc). Seems like 50% of Americans drive an SUV or some type of truck.

The Hummer is nothing like the Cadillac... totally different vehicles, I would have never thought of comparing the two. I'm not a Hummer fan at all!

nvbanker will probably know the selling numbers on the Escalade vs. Navigator. It seems to me that I see about equal of each driving around. The 'plus' with the Navigator is that they have automatic folding third seats and an automatic opening and closing tailgate; also, an automatic opening/closing running boards as an option (which are nice). I bet the new Escalade will have many improvements when the restyled 2007 comes out next year.

If Cadillac would put the new STS dash in the SRX, that would be one nice looking vehicle inside and out. As I mentioned before, the SRX has the CTS center plastic vent set up and looks like it came out of a Kia!

A good friend of mine just bought the 2006 Lexus RX400h (Hybrid). Very nice vehicle as they come completely loaded. The only option is a rear DVD player.

Do you see very many Hybrids in the UK?

Mark
    I thought though that the Hummer and the Caddy have the same 6.0 V8 but are just tuned differently?
    The Escalades the same as the Suburan and all those, and i think that the GMC version is the "best".
    Hybrids... Ermmm. Well ive seen one Lexus RX400h and the top model hered comes standard with DVD screens in the hear restraints. The waiting list is longgg though. Order here tomorrow and you wont get it until early next year!
    The Toyota Prius, not many around. The Honda Insight? Must of seen about 2 since they were launched a few years ago. The Ford Escape, it was axed here because it wasnt selling because it was that rubbish so we dont get that hybrid. The Lexus GS450h, not out yet but expect to see some but not lots and lots.
    I see more diesels here than anything.
    How popular is the Infiniti FX over there, do you see many on the road and what sort of person are in them? (It should go in the other forum but...)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A reporter would like to hear from consumers who have recently purchased a larger SUV, perhaps even trading in another large SUV for the newer one. If you have a story to share, please contact pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., city/state of residence and the make/model you traded/bought no later than Thurs. a.m., Sept. 1.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

James, the General Motors 6.0 liter engine is used in several vehicles. I wouldn't say it's a "Cadillac" engine per se. The Hummer may use it but I feel certain the frame is not from the Cadillac/GMC/Chevy. The Hummer is a very wide vehicle, especially the H1. And, the arm rest between the driver and passenger is huge and unattractive to me. Now that the H3 has come out, it may share the under pinnings with another GM model.

I can't imagine an H1 trying to maneuver around London streets much less park one there! I guess the same could be said for the Cadillac ESV (trying to stay on topic!)

I see the FX here and there... not major popular but I see them around.

Mark
    Hi James - The Escalade outsells the Lincoln Navigator in the states. A couple of factors are in their favor - the engine is larger and more powerful, and the Cadillac is the rap star's favorite. I consider the Navigator superior in features and engineering, but that's just my opinion - the Cadillac is a good truck.
    The H-3 is a Chevy Colorado under the skin.
    Hey, I agree, i prefer the Navigator too. I think its more, refined inside and it has better more useful things like the electric seats and tailgate.
    Isn't the Chevy Tahoe, the same car platform and everything as a Yukon, H2 and Escalade??
    I thought it was!
    Also, after Hurricane Katrina, gulf of mexico, american oil, trouble ahead for fuel prices???
    On our news it said that those oil rigs that have been collpasing and thrown into bridges and sunk, that they supply a lot of americas oil.
    Your thoughts?
    Worries?
    I have to admit, I'm not sure which platforms are under which vehicles or who shares what. I know the Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade share the same platform, not sure about the Hummer vehicles. As nvbanker said above, the Chevrolet Colorado's platform is shared with new Hummer 3.

It seems unusual, for instance, that the Chrysler PT Cruiser shares the same platform as the Dodge Neon. Goes to show the underpinnings have nothing to do with the similarity or looks of the car.

James, yes, the storm in New Orleans is affecting gas prices. I haven't heard about any oil platforms sinking but one did cut loose from it's moorings and hit a bridge.

The president said he will release some of the US strategic oil reserves to off set the loss of oil coming from the Gulf of Mexico. That should help stabilize prices. We'll see.

So, those are my "thoughts and worries"...... have you thought of having your own talk show? :P

Mark
    Ha ha love one about cars and just get paid to drive cars all day long.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think All things related to gas prices would be a better place to discuss gasoline princes.

tidester, host
    Yes - the H2 is a Tahoe under that skin.....
  • weman27weman27 Member Posts: 7
    I have the opportunity to purchase an '03 Certified Escalade for $30K with only 43K miles. The Cadillac CPO program is one of the best and I really need a large SUV, but the one thing that is holding me back is the 13 mpg, are there any ways to increase this number with after market parts? I would even settle for 16 mpg. Any help would be appreciated.
    Weman, seems to me that $30,000 for an '03 is kinda high with over 40,000 miles. That is not low mileage. I would check the incentives on the year-end models to see what the prices are.

Large SUV's aren't selling so well, I would think that a year end unit would be almost $10,000 off list.

For a professional opinion ask Terry in 'Real World Trade-in Values' in the Smart Shoppers thread. Just follow the format at the bottom of that thread just above where you type your message. Terry will give your both prices, retail and trade-in.

Mark
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "If one thing stands out in GM's full-size 2007 SUVs, it's their interiors. Even the preproduction vehicles shown had tight panel fit and impressively rich materials. Cadillac's design is much different from the other brands, but there's nothing truckish about any of them."

GM's new full-size SUVs (Inside Line)

Lots of talk about it over in the 2006 Caddy Escalade discussion.

Steve, Host
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I was so hype on the Escalade and CTS after reading about them over the past few years. Finally this week I took a ride to the caddy dealer to check em out. I was let down. The interior quality was that of a chevy impala, the ergonomics horrible and the material just felt cheap. For $60 the Escalade didn't even have a telescopic wheel! :(

-mike
  • brycarbrycar Member Posts: 10
    for my opinion i would by the escalade cause its more powerful and will last longer and the navigator only has 300hp and the new escalades have 345hp i have rode in one and they run great. I think its the best one out of those two

HAPPY BUYING
    Another blurb:

Track Testing the 2007 Cadillac Escalade

Steve, Host
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    In some parts of the country, like southern Arizona, we have no real need for awd. Cadillac is to be commended for offering the Escalade in rwd form. However, the car magazine reviews of the Escalade never test the rwd version, as far as I've seen. I'd think that with 200 fewer pounds on the front wheels the ride and handling of the rwd version would be better than that of the awd version. Is there anyone out there who has road tested both?
    Top 10 Car-Themed Gifts for Kids

"For the child who has everything, a top-of-the-line Escalade that really works. (Photo courtesy of Mattel, Inc.)"

Steve, Host
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Rocky
  • kmacculloughkmaccullough Member Posts: 1
    I put a deposit on one yesterday. The dealership said I should see it by the end of January, beginning og February.
  • biggs2biggs2 Member Posts: 16
    Hello, I am hoping the folks on this board can help me out. We are in the market for a full-size 4x4 crew cab and think the ava or caddy ext will meet our needs nicely.

If this is not the best board for this questions, please advise.

I have driven an avalanche 4x4 (non z71) and an escalade ext. The difference is feel and 'tightness' was night and day. I know cadillac beefs things up but did not expect such a difference. Very noticable was the firmness of the brakes in the caddy and the overall level of 'slop' in the avalanche. The ava was OK, even typical for a truck from what I have experienced - the caddy was just that much better. My question is, does the z71 package tigten up the ride and handling on the ava? I assume the brakes are the same on the z71 and non-z71 avas.

Also thinking about waiting on the 2007s. Here is my thinking:

Reasons to wait for 2007: upgraded interior and displacement on demand.

Reasons not to wait: first year glitches are likely and a big unknown, I like the current escalade interior (avalanche is not too attractive, though) and dod may not save that much gas in a truck this size. I am hearing the 07s will be a little longer (this is an issue be/c current versions just fit in my garage now).

thanks in advance for your input
    Biggs, I can't really give you advice as I'm not familiar with trucks. I just wanted to say that this particular thread moves very slow. If you want a faster answer, I don't think you will find it here.

Maybe there is a truck sight that will fit better with your questions.

My personal opinion is that I would get the 2007. The new updated interior is awesome! I considered the new 2007 Escalade but I needed something sooner and I need the third seat to fold flat and I don't think the new Escalade will offer that.

I know that you are looking for a truck so maybe it wouldn't matter to you about the updated interior. I didn't realize the new Escalade Ext will be much longer than the old one. The fit will depend on how much room you have in your garage. If the new one is only 2 inches longer, that shouldn't be a big deal (I would imagine).

Good luck. Mark
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    I HAVE SAME PROBLEM.
  • esvcaddy4meesvcaddy4me Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know for sure when all the new Escalade models will be on the lots?
    Thanks
    You may find some more info in the 2006 Caddy Escalade discussion. One post says mid-January, so any day now?

There's also a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Yukon XL/Cadillac Escalade ESV discussion fyi.

Steve, Host
    As slow as this site is, I can't imagine another Escalade site. :surprise:

Mark
    Gotta write 'em to get 'em. :shades:

Steve, Host
    "Mmm, shiny! Chrome will be the theme for Super Bowl ads introducing the 2007 Cadillac Escalade."

60 Seconds to Glory. The price is frozen too. (Inside Line)

Steve, Host