Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave

Comments

• Options
    62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    I can put 3 booster seats in my 2nd row of my Envoy, if that helps.
  • Options
    jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Test those car seats! Some sales people looked at me a bit funny until I had problems fitting them in and they couldn't do it either. If your paying $30K+ for a car/SUV/van be sure your happy and the seats fit.

I'll guess they will fit because according to the specs the Outlook/Acadia is 2" narrower than a Tahoe and 1" wider than the Honda Pilot. We have extra room in the Tahoe and almost bought a Pilot. The seats fit in the Pilot, but it was closer. The Trailblazer was out for us because 3 across didn't work well and forced using the rear seat.

Of course this all depends on your child seats and/or booster seats. Narrowist booster I've seen is about 16 inches. Widest child seats are 20ish. Then you need a little room between them to get them buckled and unbuckled.

The Outlook/Acadia is in the picture for replacing our 03 Tahoe. Only concern is missing middle headrest in second row.

I've seen 3 Acadias and 1 Outlook one the road this week. Sharp looking SUV.
  • Options
    brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    Just curious have you tried the Mazda CX9 on this car seat issue, just wondering.

B.
  • Options
    Just looking at rear hip room specs the CX-9 is nearly 2" narrower than the Acadia/Outlook. However "Specs" may not match real world. So go try them!
  • Options
    mchappellmchappell Member Posts: 52
    This is exactly what we did. Other than being a bit of a hassle for us, it never crossed my mind that the dealer would have a problem with it.

In the Outlook, two car seats will fit on the 60% side, and still allow the 40% side to slide forward, though it's tight.

In the CX-9, we tried two car seats, as well as a car seat and a booster, on the 60% side, and could not tilt/slide the 40% side. However, I have read in other places, that people are still able to slide the seat(s) forward with car seats in place, and still be able to get to the 3rd row, even though the seat is not tilted. I assume kids would be able to squeeze through. If you're using a booster seat, access to 3rd row should still be pretty easy since the booster is not strapped in.

Hope that helps.

Mark
  • Options
    bawlmercbawlmerc Member Posts: 17
    Is HUD available on the Enclave?
  • Options
    zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    It does not appear to be available. Someone mentioned it is due to the windshield glass laminations being different and not accomodating the HUD display. I don't know if that is the real reason or not.
  • Options
    Not sure either but all buicks use special glass for acoustics so it may be true.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    I think the reflection off the glass would be there but there's a coating that makes it clearer if I undersand correctly.

What's this about a special acoustic glass. I've never heard that before. I learn something every day.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    tdiidmantdiidman Member Posts: 35
    I have had e-mail correspondence with a Buick product manager. It is true that the 2008 Enclave will not have HUD available because of the special acoustic laminate in its windshield (designed to add to the quietness of this vehicle with the goal of making it the quietest SUV on the road) being incompatible with the HUD display. However, their engineers are working to resolve this incompatibility and are apparently getting close to doing so. They hope to offer the HUD in the Enclave by its second year of production (2009).
  • Options
    Thats one busy manager if he's answering emails!!
  • Options
    http://www.automotive.com/features/90/auto-news/25752/index.html

This is one reason why Buicks are now quieter than Lexus's.
  • Options
    myblubumyblubu Member Posts: 6
    Thinking of purchasing an Outlook. Just wondering about the incentives (currently no rebates, but only 4.9% 36mo financing - this ends April 3rd). Just wondering what's going to happen after the current promotions end. I am more interested in Cash/rebate than a low interest rate. With the start of '08 production in June, I'm wondering if there will be something on the '07's as we get closer to June? In looking at previous posts in this forum, I did notice that there was a Loyalty $1K that I must have just missed that could be applied on an Outlook. What usually happens this time of year with incentives???
  • Options
    There may be a small incentive due to some other GM wide promotion but I doubt it. In talking to a sales manager I know they cannot keep them on the lots. Also they are no longer taking orders for '07s because they plant is sold out thru July. And the Enclave is starting up so I forsee no reason for GM to offer discounts. In fact they just announced they are opening a 2nd plant to meet demand.
  • Options
    nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    In fact they just announced they are opening a 2nd plant to meet demand.

Are they adding a 3rd shift to that plant? ha ha.
  • Options
    I read a consumer review on the Arcadia and they mentioned that when using the DVD player, the video can also be made visible on the Navigation screen - is that true? I'm planning on buying an Outlook and had not considered the Navigation option, but I'd definitely be interested in this option if the system works this way. :confuse:
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Don't know if that is true or not but I can tell you if it does it will be like ALL the other nav. units on GM and you can ONLY watch video while the vehicle is NOT moving.
  • Options
    nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    Sounds like a distraction having a movie playing so that the driver and passenger can watch it. Why would you want that distraction? What happened to the good old days when the driver payed attention to the traffic and what was going on around his vehicle. DVD players, Nav, phones give me a break sounds like a safe combo...but each to their own, I don't think the video is visable on the nav. but I could be wrong. As the dealer...
  • Options
    Don't know if it's at all visible on the NAV, but certainly not when in movement. However there are plenty of aftermarket plug-ins that can take bypass all these "lawyer" features (and will also allow you to input commands on the NAV while the vehicle is moving). You have to be able to get behind the radio, though, which can be a pain.

Of course it's up to you whether or not you feel it's safe to watch a movie while driving...I personally would not.
  • Options
    Are they adding a 3rd shift to that plant? ha ha.

Do not get it. Does anybody?
  • Options
    Only if you are in Park. That is the way the SRX works. There are some aftermarket companies that can revise you vehicle to allow viewing while driving.
  • Options
    Someone had posted, maybe 2 weeks ago or so (I just searched, it was post #1918), that GM was not adding a 3rd shift at the plant as to not flood the market place with Acadias and keep prices higher.

So I took this opportunity to make a pointed sarcastic and unfunny comment (hence the 'ha ha') to show that I never believed for one second that GM was purposely slowing down production by not adding a 3rd shift just to keep prices higher. Building another plant kinda shows that it really wants to meet demands.

Have I cleared things up?
  • Options
    I am guessing that the point is that they are not building a new, additional plant. If anything they would add an additional shift to the existing plant.
  • Options
    Yep.

Hope they do not flood the market and IMO they will not.

The days of huge Suburbans and Tahoes and Expeditions amd Trailblazers all over the road will subside (but NOT go away) and LARGE CUV's will take some of that business. And that is a HUGE market. And the Lamdas are the best in the market today for large CUV's. I think the biggest issue is that they look small on the outside!
  • Options
    Saturn workers can go on layoff without worry now -- they will return as Chevrolet workers.

But when?

General Motors officially let the car out of the bag this afternoon on the future of Saturn's soon-to-close factory in Spring Hill, Tenn.

The plant will produce a new Chevrolet crossover in 2009, GM North America President Troy Clarke told them during a plant visit.

The question has been a source of anxiety for some the 4,200 hourly workers at Spring Hill. Although sources have indicated that a Lambda-platform Chevy was definitely planned for Spring Hill, many workers had their doubts.

"We're just worried that GM hasn't told us what's coming," assembly worker Craig Fincher said earlier this week as he prepared for an extended layoff. "It would be nice to have that little reassurance that something's coming for us. Why haven't they said?"

Today, Clarke said.

"Do you know a plant that wants to build a Chevy crossover?" Clarke asked the cheering crowd. "Well, guess what? You're going to."

Clarke told workers the Chevy would start in 2009. He did not clarify whether he meant calendar year 2009 or model year 2009.

The difference is important, since a calendar-year 2009 start would mean a much longer lay-off for the thousands of Spring Hill employees and some 10,000 dependent supplier jobs. The plant has been planning on a 14-16 month suspension until now, which would indicate a late summer 2008 reopening.

In Detroit, GM would only confirm in a brief prepared statement that it had shared business information with employees "that they will have a future product upon their return."

"We are not prepared to discuss the specific product at this time," the statement read, "as it is still more than two years away."
  • Options
    I don't really consider that building a new plant (or re-tooling an existing one) to meet current demand. That is more future demand once the Chevrolet is in place. Different perspectives, I guess.
  • Options
    They cannot meet demand with one plant building 2 models. This may be temporary but probably not. When a 3rd model comes in it will even be harder to meet demand. GM must have looked at 3 shifts and decided it could not meet demand. And 3 shifts may seem efficient but it has inefficiencies in a modern plant today. You cannot run 24 hours a day due to maintenence and other issues. Also GM may have more up their sleeve like building more than just Lamdas in one of the plants. How about a large FWD sedan based on Lamda? When the DTS/Lucerne get revised the G platform will be gone and no longer will there be a large FWD sedan platform.
  • Options
    There is NO second plant being built to produce these vehicles. They will go to a 3rd shift and overtime before that happens. Even if they decide to produce at a second plant you are talking close to 2 years for it to happen. Equipment to be bought, plant to be converted, people trained etc. It won't happen. I am the one who posted the no 3rd shift at this point. This came direct from the plant via the Lansing State Journal which is the newspaper where these vehicles are built.
  • Options
    metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    I beg to differ....Tahoe rear shoulder/hip room is 3-4 inches wider than Acadia...that could make all the difference between yay and nay,,,, :confuse:
  • Options
    There is NO second plant being built to produce these vehicles.

Like I said, they are not building a plant they are converting Spring Hill. It's been announced. Either 2009 modely year or calender year. I am not sure. But you are correct it is 2 years away. It is posible a 3rd shift could be added to Lansing. Sorry thought I posted the link.

General Motors officially let the car out of the bag this afternoon on the future of Saturn's soon-to-close factory in Spring Hill, Tenn.

The plant will produce a new Chevrolet crossover in 2009, GM North America President Troy Clarke told them during a plant visit.
  • Options
    tncarmantncarman Member Posts: 82
    I live about 30 minutes from Spring Hill and our local news station had a story about the plant. According to them and the workers they interviewed, they all have garunteed jobs when the plant reopens sometime next year, they will recieve 84% of their yearly wages and stated the factory will be able to build any vehicle that GM produces, from trucks to coupes. Spring Hill and everyone around the area is not worried at all.
  • Options
    auto9999auto9999 Member Posts: 86
    In my observation these new "large" CUVs by GM are about the same size of typical minivans. Check out their specs side by side.

Acadia and its sister CUV are nice. I would opt for one of them to typical SUVs. But their price should not be compared to the Tahoes. They should be compared to Siennas.

This is a matter of marketing. The new CUV are essentially upgraded minivans, but with four doors in place of sliding doors. I think that people will soon come to realize that reality, after the fad of newness subsides.

Hyundai priced Veracruz almost identical to its minivan with similar equipments.

GM is so optimistic as to its pricing of its new triplet CUVs. I envisage that their selling price will soon go down till it becomes almost similar to minivans.

Soon Toyota will probably sell a Sienna-based CUVs. In fact, if the sliding door is replaced with the regular doors, it would be a direct competitor of Acadia. And the price is $1000s lower.

If you still see the Saturn Outlook advertisement right next to my message, imagine any minivan with four regular doors. Wouldn't they look competing vehicles to each other?
  • Options
    I think you are wrong and right. All the CUV's coming out and the competition will cause the prices to be lowered, not the fact that they are minivans in drag.

Most everyone will not care if they are like minivans, they will only care that they look like trucks and not minivans. Time will tell but so far the CUV prices are holding up.

Even if the Sienna gets regular doors it still will look like an ugly minivan, not a truck.

The minivan is dead, Long live the CUV!!

Just yesterday I talked to my neighbor. She needs a new vehicle, does not want another minivan(4 kids). Tried to get an extended trailblazer but found out not built anymore. Loved the Acadia and will be getting one if they can find one. Finding hard to find.
  • Options
    bobfishbobfish Member Posts: 48
    I ordered a Acadia on 2/8/07 and took delivery on 3/27/07,so far like everything about it except for the way the transmission shifts.I think someone in this forum stated there was a fix for this problem,by taking it to the dealer and having them reflash the programing of the transmission.My question;is this true?
  • Options
    According to an Acadia enthusiast site the TSB for this is:

No. 07058

Subject: ...Automatic Transmission Sluggish Performance When Accelerating From a Low Speed Maneuver... (Reprogram TCM) #07-07-30-003 - (02/20/2007)

Reprogram the transmission control module (TCM) with the new updated calibration.

Affected VINs:
    2007 GMC Acadia 7J100107 7J128619
    2007 Saturn Outlook 7J100001 7J128620

There may be newer updates to this. I am not certain.

Karl
  • Options
    http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/outlook/

07058: Transmission Lag Recalibration (TSB)

Dealer Service Workorder, the code number of this Service Bulletin seems to be 07058 - "Svc Upd - Invent/Cust Veh - IMPROVED TRANS CONTROL CALS.
  • Options
    Soon Toyota will probably sell a Sienna-based CUVs. In fact, if the sliding door is replaced with the regular doors, it would be a direct competitor of Acadia. And the price is $1000s lower.

The Sienna only has 7 passenger capability for the AWD model, 1000 lbs less towing capicity, and has nearly identical invoice price tags for AWD.

XLE Limited-7 pass AWD invoice = $33,521
    XLE-7 pass AWD invoice = $29,663
    LE - 7 pass AWD invoice = $26,363

Acadia SLT-2 AWD invoice = $34,941
    Acadia SLE-1 AWD invoice = $29,223
    Outlook XE AWD invoice = $27,646
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Looks like the Lamdas are priced to compete with the minivans already.
    Look like SUV's, priced like minivans, interior capacity of minvans, towing capacity enough for most. No wonder they are selling so well.
  • Options
    I'm wondering though about content, with options a fully loaded XR could be $10,000+ more than the base Outlook XE. Are those vehicles that were listed comparably equipped? Just curious...
  • Options
    acadiachuckacadiachuck Member Posts: 1
    I just got the new GMC Acadia and love it. Now I am looking to get an iPOD connector to I can listen to my IPOD music through the factory installed Acadia sound system. I see that the factory installed Acadia sound system has a small hole (similiar to the size of a headphone prong) on the stereo system right next to the word "AUX" so you can connect your IPOD or MP3 system -- I just can't seem to find the connector. Any ideas?
  • Options
    brutus22brutus22 Member Posts: 122
    simply use a 1/8" mini plug to 1/8 mini plug out of your headphone output of your ipod into the 1/8" mini input of the car. Simple as that, you probably have to select AUX for the Stereo head unit.

But I recall reading how GM and a bunch of others were offering more integrated IPOD interfaces, here is a blurb I found:
    "GM, on the other hand, has developed an iPod-specific device called the Personal Audio Link. This gadget, the size of a deck of cards, synchronizes the music player with the car's XM Satellite Radio band so that the XM interface can be used as controls--including displaying the song and artist information on the XM screen.

Like Ford's TripTunes Advanced, GM's iPod integration system will be located in the glove compartment and will also be able to charge the iPod while the ignition is running. The Personal Audio Link will make its debut this October in the 2006 and 2007 Chevrolet HHR sport utility vehicles; the carmaker will then gradually introduce the hardware into all 56 of its new car and truck models sold in the United States--mostly by the end of 2007.

GM's device will be an opt-in feature, retailing for about $160 plus installation charges. According to a statement from GM, a subscription to XM Satellite Radio will not be required for the Personal Audio Link to work."

Anyone have this set-up?

B.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Even if the Sienna gets regular doors it still will look like an ugly minivan, not a truck.

Some of us like sliders, although I must admit that I haven't shopped any crossovers (or anything else lately for that matter).
  • Options
    Oh, sliding doors are nice with small kids. I had a Montana before my Envoy. But would easily take a CUV over a minivan anyday.
  • Options
    blurrybillblurrybill Member Posts: 3
    I'm new to the forums. Have been extensively researching CUVs. Have posted in the sister forum to this one. In brief, the Enclave brochure is very attractive. Features on the car are second to none for the money. Have priced Volvo XC-90, GL and M series, Mazda, Outlook and Acadia and can't beat the Enclave. Will this be my first non-Japanese car since the mid-70s? Could be. It surely looks good right now. (At 6-2, I can fit in this car and it meets safety, convenience, features needs). Check out the brochure and share comments. Thanks.
  • Options
    wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Acadia hard to find? I drove by GMC/Pontiac/Buick/Hummer dealer in NE Memphis Saturday. Did not stop, but it looked as if they had at least 10 lined up out front. I just looked at their web site (probably includes their 3 dealerships) and it showed 35 Acadias in stock...could easily be incorrect, but they seem to be in stock now.
  • Options
    mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    So this past Sat I went to test drive the Acadia. I was ready to buy but when I asked about the bluetooth for my cell I was informed that it was not available. Ok so when will it be, thinking 6 months or so. But No GM in its wisdom has decided to allow OnStar or Verizon to provide hands free communication with the Acadia. Why do I want to pay .20/minute with OnStar or have another cell account that no one will call me on.

GIVE ME A BREAK---

No wonder GM will soon become #2 or #3 they dont get it yet.

Sad thing is I would have gladly traded my Toyota for this vehicle. Guess I will wait till the new highlander comes out or treat myself with the new MDX. Can you say 1 with everything, please.
  • Options
    kimdvm1kimdvm1 Member Posts: 37
    I suspect this is probably a government regulation. While of course the driver shouldn't be watching a video, the passenger certainly could... but I suspect this is another case of the government thinking we are all too stupid. Or else GM is afraid of all the attorneys that would sue them if they thought it caused an accident.
  • Options
    All vehicles including Motorhomes are made so you can't watch TV/DVD while the vehicle is moving. At least in every motorhome I have seen all you have to do is pull a fuse and the TV will operate while driving.
  • Options
    I thought someone had recently posted that the 2008 models would have bluetooth. So if you can wait a few more months, you'll be all set *edit: actually, I think it's the rearview camera that is coming in 2008*

I agree with you, this Onstar deal is for suckers who don't know any better (no offense to anyone).
  • Options
    SPRING HILL, Tenn. -- Saturn did a very un-Saturn thing last week: It shut down its factory here for retooling.

Back in 1996, Saturn broke ground for General Motors when it showed the automaker how to execute its first rolling model change. Former Saturn engineers are still teaching the practice around GM today.

Spring Hill was built to emulate GM's efficient Japanese competitors, who routinely switch models without stopping the assembly line. Detroit 3 factories typically had shut down for weeks to prepare for new models.

On Friday, March 30, Spring Hill built its last Saturn vehicle. Starting this week, the plant will be out of commission for 16 months as technicians and contractors remove equipment, redesign assembly lines and introduce a new vehicle, a Chevrolet crossover.
This discussion has been closed.