Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• joecudajoecuda Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 chey tracker convertible. where can i get a cargo cover to protect my valuables behind the rear seat?
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    i have that cargo cover on my 1999 2-door. but it came with the tracker when i bought it (used). i seen back when i bought my car that it was a $250 option. Im not sure if they still sell them or not, or what the price may be as of now..
  • jls19jls19 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2000 Tracker-4 door.Everything about the vehicle works OK except for the drivers side window.Although mine are electric,I am having the same problem as #1012(silverleaf).When I raise the window,it tilts forward out of the rear track and then binds up.If I pull it back into the track,it works properly again.I have taken it apart and there's nothing obvious that appears to be wrong.
    Has anyone other than "silverleaf" had this problem?"Silverleaf",did you find out what was causing your problem?
  • frustrated3frustrated3 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there! I own a 2000 Tracker, 4 door. I have always loved it. It has never given me a bit of trouble- UNTIL a couple of weeks ago. I was driving down the highway and the steering wheel locked up- While I was going 75 miles per hour!! I thought I was going to die. I just started pulling on the steering wheel as hard as I could to the left and for some unknown reason- it had to be a miracle- it came unlocked enough to let me pull off to the shoulder. I had it towed to the Chevy dealer, who looked at it and said that what had happened was: The U joint had broken, which sent metal into my power steering pump and also somehow screwed up the teeth in my steering rack. This sequence of events caused my steering to lock up- and result in a very hefty repair bill. ($3600) The mechanic said that I was lucky to be alive, as I had no warning whatsoever that this was going to happen.
    My question is: Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them? I don't know if it was an isolated case- like just my vehicle was defective somehow... or if there is a problem with the steering components of the 2000 Tracker, etc. It has been perfectly maintained and it has never been used to tow things or to go "four wheeling". It has only been used as a commuter car. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
    WOW.....that sounds scary. i thought i remembered reading about steering related issues on here. now when you said your ujoint broke which ujoint are you talking about, as i would like to investigate mine.. i think this year i might be up for A/C problems. i added a can of coolant to the system. but it didnt feel to cool. i might need to add another one. i know this year i need to find somekinda sealer for my softtop. its starting to leak at the front and rear. nothing like driving down the road in a rain storm and having water dripping on your head.
  • mitzijmitzij Member Posts: 613
    The first bulletin: I can't find any bulletin #01-01-38-018 on GMDealerworld.

The second bulletin: advises technicians to use an a/c suction screen kit whenever there has been a catastrophic failure of the a/c system to be sure
    all components are debris-free.

I can't find any recalls on Trackers involving the HVAC system.
  • woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    The lower u joint on the intermediate steering shaft of my '01 (mft date 10/00) failed, but at least I had ample warning and replaced the shaft ($330) before anything further happened. The warning was that the steering when turning right or left, especially at slow speed or stopped, would feel like it was going quickly between power steering and manual steering. It was indeed that lower u joint binding up and putting stress on the shaft and effecting the steering. I have only heard of one other complaint regarding this. I haven't seen any recalls or tsb (technical service bulletins). The Chevy dealer and Suzuki dealers around here have never sold this shaft before I contacted them. This is a difficult u joint to access and check. My front end mechanic actually disconnected the shaft from the rack to be able to positively verify that it was the problem. I recommend anyone within these years have this checked periodically by a good front end mechanic, perhaps during an alignment check. I'm glad you survived this ordeal. Hopefully this will alert others experiencing these symptoms.
    do you think the 1999 tracker is effected by this? i wonder if something changed from 1999 on? when i mean is. example. i read somewhere that the 1999 tracker with 4x4 had front axle problems. and funny this is. when i bought my 1999 tracker used. i noticed it had a 2000 front axle on it. "salvage yard markings" i also read that 1999 trackers with a 5 gears has trany gear issues. so i was wondering if something in the steering changed? btw what mileage did you have when this part failed? I wish i knew what to look for or where to look. I change all my fluids, and i would like to look for myself. but to be honest, im not clear exactly what part this is. I wish there was a picture online of the part of diagram..
  • frustrated3frustrated3 Member Posts: 2
    I have no idea if other years are affected. What bothers me the most is that there isn't a safety mechanism in place to prevent the steering from completely locking when it does happen. Unlike the previous poster (and I am not on the screen right now so I apologize that I can't list your name) I had no warning whatsoever to alert me that there was a problem.

I am in the midst of dealing with GM about this issue... I want them to check into it and ensure that it doesn't happen again. (There aren't any recalls right now for this issue.) I am afraid that the next person it happens to won't be so lucky!

My mileage is 70,000 but those are all easy highway miles, as it is a commuter car. It is extremely well taken care of and it is never used to tow anything or to 4x4 for sport. This just should'nt have happened. I am very worried that it will happen to someone else.
  • pafirepafire Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 4Dr 4wd Tracker and I'm Wondering if it is practical to add power windows and heated mirrors. I also need to know what to look for the mounting of the motors,control switches and if my current vehicle has the required electrical connections needed for this upgrade. There are several Auto Salvage Yards in my area that will supply the needed parts for this upgrade.
    Thanks in advance for the advice
  • carfirecarfire Member Posts: 1
    hello... i was doing a search on Google with this: "chevy tracker electrical fire" -- this forum was the first link. :) Some of the posts caught my attention because there was mention of a fire -- but not from the engine.

I just came from one. Driving along, no problems. Nice night, windows down (no power lock or window) no heat or air on. Smoke suddenly starts to flow from the vents (like the AC vents), so i pull over, shut the car off...wait until the smoke dies a little and popped the hood. Absolutely NO traces of smoke/burning from there. I get back in, start the car and wait...no smoke. I know the fire dept. is only a few blocks away -- I am a 20 min. drive from home by the interstate, so I make the decision to try the few blocks. I go about 1/8 mile and smoke starts again, i pull over...fire is literally dripping from under the console (not sure if that's the right word) onto the passenger side floorboard. i had 4 bottles of water, 2 i tried sloshing up INTO where the fire was coming from (like behind the glove box area i guess) and then poured the other two down into the vents on the windshield. when that didn't do it i grabbed my purse and got out, called 911 and about 5 seconds later the whole dashboard...about 5 seconds after that the whole thing just burst into flames. Interestingly enough, firewall prevented any engine, etc. damage.

The wheels and the back door will also likely be salvagable (so the fire dept. guys told me). The rest is totally gutted.

ANY IDEA AT ALL what could have caused this?

No recent work done, no new stereo, no new ANYTHING. 1998 Chevy Tracker 4wd basic no fireworks. Broken stereo. Nothing was turned "on", so to speak, while i was driving.

Thanks a lot!
    well today i went to charge my a/c in my 1999 2-door 2.0 tracker. and i heard this loud clicking noise. then pulses of the R-134a were coming out around the compressor area. I'm almost afraid to ask what this might cost me. part wise i mean. It seems that a/c and tracker don't get along. I was just wonder if the people who had this same problem, had this problem at the compressor?
  • wilsmokewilsmoke Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Tracker an I purchased a T connector type wiring harness that plugged in, inside the spare tire jack compartment.It took about 5 min to install,very simple to do,I purchase the connector frm PePBoys. :)
  • mightymowsemightymowse Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I just purchased a 1999 Chevy Tracker. It didnt come with an owners manual. I was wondering how to open the "sun roof" area exclusively and drive with it open and how the rear folds down. I have played with it a little bit and havent completly figured it out.

Also I am looking for a hard top for it, are there any suggestions as to where I can find one inexpensivly? I live in northern NY, there arent many options up here. The ones that I can find here are usually really expensive. I havent looked in the local junkyards, but I think that I might rather have it new.

So far I am loving my tracker, It has 66k miles on it and I am glad to hear that people have put much more on them than that.

I am also looking for suggestions on catalogues or websites that I can find parts and accessories for it. I would like to do a resto-mod operation and turn it into a show piece.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mighty Mowse :shades:
  • airborne2airborne2 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2001 Chevy Tracker Base 4dr 4X4 with a lot of options and just 43,000 miles Feburary 10-05. It has a factory CD in it and drive some bad roads and it does fine. I read all the complaints about the car but compared to the Honda Kia and Toyota that I test drove it was Best.
    Airborne2
  • rudypoprudypop Member Posts: 2
    Do you still want an insta-trunk........................I have one you can have I don't neeed anymore.
  • dcasselldcassell Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I just had the engine totally rebuilt on my '99 Tracker last summer. My daughter was driving yesterday, and heard a sound like clattering pieces of plastice under the hood. Suddenly the engine died, and now will crank fine, but not start. If there wasn't a 1/2 tank of gas, I would think it was out of gas. I thought the sound could be the water pump going out, but to me that doesn't explain why the engine just quit. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Doug.
  • joeyacrowjoeyacrow Member Posts: 2
    My daughter was trying to shift from 2WD to 4WD; shifter knob is stuck in 2WD, feels it's in a bind, any suggestions? Thanks
  • bigred9bigred9 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 02 tracker. i have the same problem with the window not rolling up. when i looked into it i found a bunch of gunk, almost like glue in the front track. i cleaned it out a little and it seemed to work a little better.
  • bigred9bigred9 Member Posts: 2
    has anybody found or tryed to find a lowering kit for a 2001 tracker ?? i cant seem to find one anywhere.
  • lt007lt007 Member Posts: 1
    Hello I have a both (passenger and driver side) side body porter mouldings broken. They are the plastic (cheap) moulding that you hook up the convertible top to. Because they are plastic , they are very weak and have both broken (possibly due to the heat in Florida). Now I am faced with getting 2 new ones. I called the dealer and they want $100 a piece for a piece of plastic that does not cost more that $5. Now I am a reasonable guy but $200 is rather excessive. OUCH!!!!

Does anyone have suggestions or alternatives. I have thought of going to a metal shop and see if I can get these fabricated.

I am disappointed with GM for producing such cheap and inferior part .. especially when it has to handle a strong load, and very mad at the price!

Thanking anyone in advance.
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    I hear that the NOAA is predicting a more than average number of hurricanes and severe storms this year. Tracker owners in Florida should maintain their tire pressures so they don't get blown off the road. ;)
  • michconmichcon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2 dr.conv.99 tracker. I read meters with it,its runs great but in the winter while using my 4wd,ive experienced my front wheels becoming disengaged while under power as i'm backing out or pulling in to driveways on a sharp incline.I have automatic engage now but i feel that i should buy locking hubs.Is this possible or a answer to my problem. Tim :confuse:
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    If that engine has a timing belt it could be what broke. I had an old Toyota where the ball bearings fell out of the timing belt tensioner and the balls were rattling against the plastic cover. The race of the bearing stayed on and the belt did not fall off so I was able to drive 3 miles home to fix it there. Your belt is probably off (if it is designed the same being a Suzuki) and therefore it will crank but not turn over because the timing is off. Just a suggestion, of course if you have a timing chain I don't know what the metal on plastic sound is you are hearing.
    hey is your 99 a 1.6ltr or a 2.0 engine? i also have a 99 tracker, but i have the 2.o engine with the 4 speed auto. im at around 72k miles. only problems i have had is 2 wheel bearings and a/c no longer working. "didnt have it fixed yet"
  • shark38shark38 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 2D-4WD that I purchased last year. I really love it. I am looking for the Shop Manuals for it. I have a chance to buy the 1999 shop manuals and wonder if there is much difference between the 99 and 2000 Tracker. Would the 1999 manuals give me pretty much the same information or should I buy the 2000 books? There is a $40 difference in the pricing. Thanks
  • shark38shark38 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my hardtop from a maker in Canada. If I were you I would look at the one in Ebay right now. I believe it is available around your neck of the woods for a great price. I really like my Hardtop. I live in Seattle and am about to take it off for the summer. I had a roof rack put on mine so I could put skis and kayaks on it. I had them install rack rails on the front and rear tops so I could remove the rear top and still have the rack. You can take the front top off removing 2 screws and just stow the roof behind your seat. I don't think I will ever put the front canvas back on because of that. It is a lot quieter and looks great on the Tracker. The price may seem high but I really wouldn't have bought my Tracker without ordering the hardtop.
  • vreyvrey Member Posts: 1
    today i switched the fan motor for the a/c and nothing came out. could it be the fan or the switch? please help. i don't know if you realize how hot and humid it is down here. we're already at record heat. thanks
  • ladydiladydi Member Posts: 2
    Aloha everyone, I'm thinking of buying the above vehicle and when i drove it today I couldn't get it out of low 4wd(the one you push the lever forward to get into). Grinding gear sound was aweful. Came to a full stop, car running, put it in neutral and tried to shift it out of 4wd.. Was I doing it wrong? Ended up turning car off and trying several times before success. Salesman had siimilar trouble when he started the car for me initially. When I came back (early) from test drive and told him what had happened; he said it was me, not the car. Then he said it is "normal" to have to turn the car off to get it out of low 4wd. Would appreciate comments. This would be my 1st 4wd and I'm excited! I live in Hawaii and am hankering to go down those deeply rutted dirt and lava field roads. By the way, in Hawaii asking price for this vehicle, with 33,000 miles in cherry condition is 14,500. Called every lot on island and this is only one for sale.
    Much Mahalo
    i know i cant shift out of 4wd (low) Unless i am completely stopped. I think where the shifter is, there is instructions on How to use the shifter. did you see that when you were trying to get out of 4-low? i hardly ever actually use 4-low. i think i might have used it a few times off-roading or maybe in very deep snow. but for my 1999 tracker, i believe there is a warning message about Not going faster than 35mph in 4low, so i rarely use it..
  • ladydiladydi Member Posts: 2
    Aloha & Mahalo for the feedback. I'm going to look at it again this afternoon and will research more on using the feature.
  • calvocalvo Member Posts: 1
    Daytime Running Lights would not go off. Replaced DRL module and DRL now okay. Since DRL module replacement, headlights will not come on. Fuses and relays checked okay. Does anyone know if the module controls the regular headlights? And the new module could be partially bad?
  • wvjdtuckwvjdtuck Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone installed a transmission cooler on their Tracker? I have a 2001 ZR2, which has a 6 cyl. and I am planning on staying within the 1500# weight limit. GM does not have a listing but I have found a few coolers that are rectangular and might fit behind the bumper and get air from the hole in the guard. Any ideas....
    Thanks
    wvjdtuck
  • okrafeetokrafeet Member Posts: 14
    Help! I have a used 2000 Tracker. I live in the HOT South, so now, in the morning, it starts fine and runs fine until I stop somewhere. Then it turns over but won't start. After a 20 min cool down it may start but then gets NO compression...just spits and backfires until I pull over and let it sit again. Then it will start. I've had it to three different mechanics the last two months and it cranks every time for them. The diagnostic tests say nothing is wrong. The day I take it home it does the same thing. Any ideas, anyone? Also, freezing weather is NO problem. My tracker loves it. I just can't afford to move to Colorado though I wish I could. :cry:
  • mommajmommaj Member Posts: 1
    I'm from Canada - just signed up to get some info on 1991 trackers. I own at 1998 Chevy Blazer which is great but a gas pig, so I'm looking for something that is a little bit more fuel efficient for getting around town, 2 and from daycare, work etc.
    Trying to get some info on their reliability or any other comments offered.
    The one that I'm looking at has pretty high k's ~ 250 ~ but all highway. It's in excellent condition, and so I just wanted to know what everyone thinks about the high klm's and if its worth buying. Asking $2500cdn.
  • westcwestc Member Posts: 1
    My front windows drop forward when opening them, then when I engage the power button to close them the motor either stops or drags. It seems the windows tip forward and have to be pushed back to the proper position to close again. Any ideas. The dealer told me it would probably take at least one hour of shop time to take off both front panels am thinking this could be expensive. :confuse:
    I have not installed one on my 2004 but, on my 97 Astro I added a universal cooler in front of the radiator it works fine and the van still stays between 160-190 deg while pulling 4000# trailer at 75mph on an 85 degree day. You shouldn't have any problems. Just get the smallest one that is available for the 1000-3000# towing range that way you won't block too much of the radiator.
    Depending on the top (hard top or convertable) and is it auto of 5 speed and does it have a/c that works? The value for the 1991 with that may miles here in MI would be around $1000-$1250 USD. I am not sure what the exchange rate is but if it is an auto and with hardtop and a/c it may be worth $1500USD.
  • rontracrontrac Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how much it would cost to have ac installed in a 1999 Tracker?
  • rem05rem05 Member Posts: 3
    I am having the exact same problem with a 99 tracker. The first thing I replaced was the fuel pump relay, but it did not fix the problem. Right now I suspect the fuel pump or fuel injection. Maybe someone will reply to this that has found a solution.
    Out of the three mechanics I've taken my Tracker to, one changed the fuel pump and I am getting better gas mileage. But it's now dying if idling too long. A friend had problems with a coil that would expand in hot weather, changed it and all was fine. Someone else suggested the oyxgen sensor.
    I don't know why my tracker won't act up at all for the mechanics. Just me. I'm going to take it to my fourth mechanic next week and if they can't figure it out...I'll have to trade it in...be upside down on payments, but as a newspaper photographer, I have to depend on being able to get places in the hot south.
    Rem05, hopefully we'll be able to get this problem solved.
  • carmen05carmen05 Member Posts: 1
    Hi!
    I agree with you... the front ones were a breeze...
    ...HoWeVeR...
    Can you give me hint on how to remove the rear drums in order to inspect the rear brakes?
    I know they possibly don't need changing, but I want to inspect them anyway and adjust them.
    I may be doing something wrong because I am unable to remove the drums...
    Thanks,
    Carmen
    to be honest. im not sure what i did to get them off. i remember I broke a craftsman screw driver and i remember it was a total pain in the rear!! but with 70k miles io had about 45% life left on the rear pads. I do remember beating the rear drum with a hammer and trying to pry it. it worked. but i thought there had to be a easier way.
  • magoo5magoo5 Member Posts: 1
    WHEN WAS YOUR FUEL FILTER WAS REPLACED, A DIRTY FUEL FILTER CAN RESTRICT THE FLOW. THIS DECREASES THE FUEL THAT MIXES WITH AIR WHICH OVERLY THINS THE FUEL. THE RESULTS IN HOT WEATHER, EVAPORATION. CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I recommend turning off your CAPS LOCK because people tend to ignore messages typed in ALL CAPS.

tidester, host
    Rem05 - I had my fuel pump replaced...although they did it without my authorization. I have no idea if they replaced the fuel filter. I am SO not mechanically inclined as a female though I should take the time to learn this stuff. Just this morning, I took my tracker into the local Chevy dealer. This will be the last (of four) places I take it to. They say it has to act up when on the machine to be diagnosed. Well, naturally it doesn't for them, only when I drive it in hot weather.
    I told them to keep it as long as possible until it quits starting. Also, when I leave it it park and let it idle, it dies. After this, I give up. I'll keep you updated on what they say.
  • polmsteadpolmstead Member Posts: 1
    Hi Calvo,

I'm having the same problem with my running lights staying on. I'm also looking at replacing the DRL. Looking at the schematic for the exterior lighting system the pnk/blue (Head lamp sig) wire out of the DRL goes directly to the Ambient light sensor (light sensative diode) and to the high beam indicator and the head lights. It's the round black thing on the top right of the dash. I would check with OHM meter to see if you don't have an open circuit or bad light sensor. But let me know what you find since I'm just begining the battle here. Thanks, good luck :confuse:
    Well, after a week with no word from the Chevy dealer, I called. They said the hot weather starting problem was the cam shaft position sensor. Then he said he'd keep his fingers crossed that the machine would be clear and show nothing else. This is to the tune of $727.00. Fourth mechanic now. Hopefully,, this will solve the problem or I'll have to blow it up. Too bad I still owe 7K on it. :sick:
  • tatchisontatchison Member Posts: 2
    I searched the forums for my problem, but I couldn't find anything related to it. My 1999 Tracker's air conditioner just started blowing cool air, not cold air. I brought it to be re-charged, but the service technician couldn't do anything since the compressor (condenser?) wasn't coming on at all. I would press the A/C button, the light would come on, but the compressor would not start. I then brought it to the dealer, and now they are tracing the electrical system. It has been 3 days going on 4 and they still haven't found the problem. Could anyone have some idea what the problem would be?
  • tatchisontatchison Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if you were ever able to track this problem down. It sounds like I have similar issues.