Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL vs Infiniti G35 vs BMW 330xi

Comments

• dampfnudeldampfnudel Member Posts: 131
    The 2007 G37 sedan will be introduced at the NY Auto Show next month. There's a rumor that the 2007 TL MMC will also be there. It will called the G37 because engine displacement is going up to 3.7L (more hp of course). I'll be at the show with my camera.
  • steve94steve94 Member Posts: 2
    hey do u know when the G35 coupe is coming out????
  • dampfnudeldampfnudel Member Posts: 131
    I read on another board that the G37 coupe will be coming out in 2007 ('08 model). With dwindling sales due to aging vehicles (the M is the exception), the new G sedan better be a homerun for Infiniti.
  • agbasheragbasher Member Posts: 18
    Any word on whether a manual will be available with the AWD model?
  • chainhunterchainhunter Member Posts: 1
    If you must have 4 doors, go with the TL. If you want something more sporty go for the G35 coupe. Seriously though, test drive them all - that's the only way to decide what is best for you. The BMW's will cost more for essentially the same car.....
  • nivki89nivki89 Member Posts: 15
    I pay for my 330i 38,500. (AT, NAVY, CA, ZPP before TTL) - Good lack find RL for this price. And best of all I fly to Munich with my family to pick up car there and drive for 2 weeks in Europe.
  • factfinderfactfinder Member Posts: 103
    Automotive Lease Guide honored the G35 with the coveted 2005 Residual Value Award. ALG sets the automotive industry's benchmark for residual values. "Residual value excellence [has become] more difficult to achieve," said John Blair, Automotive Lease Guide's Chief Executive Officer—for other autos, perhaps, but not the G35.

Yet another reason to buy the G over the TL & 3.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    http://www.alg.com/awards.aspx

http://www.alg.com/deprratings.aspx

Using that line of thinking BMW is #1 in the Luxury Brand Residual Value Rankings, Infiniti is #6. Just another reason for leasing any BMW over any Infiniti.

Also the 330 has 5 stars depreciation, while the G35 has 4 stars.
  • ivorypearlgivorypearlg Member Posts: 53
    " Using that line of thinking BMW is #1 in the Luxury Brand Residual Value Rankings, Infiniti is #6. Just another reason for leasing any BMW over any Infiniti."

I thought we were just talking about the 3 Series, and the G35 ? And yes both have excellent residual values, so if you looking for a car with great residual value both are a excellent option...
  • ivorypearlgivorypearlg Member Posts: 53
    I can't wait until the G37 Sedan and Coupe come out ! Along with the new BMW 335ci ! I saw pictures of the 335CI and the car is a little choppy in the front but extremely sexy... Link : http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/futurevehicles/new3coupe/default

I wonder how the new G37 Coupe will hold up to this car, having the 335CI equipped with a Twin Turbo Inline-6 300HP / 300 LB-FT TQ. I'm sure that the G37 will match, if not overpower those numbers, but I'm almost willing to bet the G will be more hefty, and gas mileage will be poorer, since Turbo's are more effective at power output to gas consumption, one of the main reasons SAAB invented them. Anyway I don't understand why the 35 had to become 37 ? BMW has the 325 with a 3.0ltr engine. Can't wait and see what goes down, and what to buy ! !
    Infiniti's strategy is to offer the performance of the M3 for thousands less. I agree with you about the G37, it ought to use gas like a FORD 150 SVt at full throttle.

Seems like this person invented the jet turbine in the 1920's/1930's. The use of turbos in cars is just another adaption of outside technology being brought into the automotive world.

http://www.cwn.org.uk/heritage/people/whittle/biography.html

But turbochargers in and of themselves have been on engines since the 1920s.

http://www.turbolader.net/en/content/history_turbocharger.htm
    It's my understanding that the G will pump out well over 300 horses. If you want more, buy a blower to push the power near the 400 mark. Infiniti is walking away from BMW.
    Yeah, Infiniti keeps uping the horsepower ante, but it has to deliver on the driving experience also, and as we know hp isn't everything. I give them a lot of credit, if you want horsepower/$ go for Infiniti.

The 335i should be very potent and much more balanced then the G37, while the new M3 should run rings around everything. You could add a blower to the M3 and make it into an M5.
  • v_ladv_lad Member Posts: 27
    I don't understand why people in US want hp - they have speed limits on highway. It will be much more reasonable to value hp in germany...
    Beyond a certain point it's bragging rights only.
    I don't understand why people in US want hp - they have speed limits on highway. It will be much more reasonable to value hp in germany...

0-60 times.

Having enough torque, too, cannot be overstated. The BMW 3 series and TL are running about 50 lbs-ft. of torque behind the G. Torque is really what gives the driving experience.
    But torque is only one component of the driving experience and torque is only one factor in the 0-60. To some people winning stop light races is everything, to other people the buttery smooth handling of a BMW is more important than winning the stop light race.

The G is also extremly thirsty. With premium approaching 3.50/gallon, thirsty cars hurt one's pocketbook.
  • v_ladv_lad Member Posts: 27
    just test-driven G35. Impression: definetly better than Lexus in accessory quality and refinement and was very convenient to me. Very nice seats. Sport-tuned suspension is still comfortable. I tested manual and had problems with shifter - clutch setup (like BMWs much more). Not a smooth engine - lot's of vibration.
    You need to try G35 if you are shopping around.

Can't compare with Acura because I've never driven it.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    kdshapiro,

I think you are wasting your breath on factfinder. I submit two pieces of evidence:

Item #1, his statement: "Torque is really what gives the driving experience."

Item #2: He drives a slush box.

The G35 is a decent car, but I think the above two items of evidence should tell you that his definition of "driving experience" and yours (or mine) is worlds apart. I would submit that anyone that voluntarily drives an automatic "sport" sedan (oxymoron aside) isn't likely to appreciate the finer points of handling, steering, braking, and obviously, the control and enjoyment of a precise short throw manual. To each their own, I guess.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    the buttery smooth handling of a BMW is more important than winning the stop light race

But there are so many more stop lights than there are tight ess turns to weave in and out of. So the buttery thing leaves your hands greasy more often than not.

And most of us can't fit comfortably in a 3er.
    "And most of us can't fit comfortably in a 3er"

Most of us don't drive *your* car.

Of course if winning a stop-light race is your thing, you should go for it.
  • arobsarobs Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my G35 coupe about 6 months ago and love love love it. I researched against the TL, and the rear wheel of the G made it the obvious choice for me. The TL has far superior interior detailining including a much better NAV.
    I didnt look at the BMW ( didnt want German).

The only negative is that i am only getting only about 15 miles per gallon...

good luck

Andrew
    Agreed. I use to date a gal who had a 2002 3 series and for the life of me, I don't understand what handling advantage these bimmer lovers think the 3 has over the G. It's a little smoother, but that is it. The car sits on the ground.

The G is an overall stronger package--power, handling & looks. Infiniti melted these 3 attributes together quite well.
    If gas prices are a concern, get a hybrid. People who buy these cars should be able to afford the gas without crying about it.
    "I don't understand what handling advantage these bimmer lovers think the 3 has over the G. It's a little smoother, but that is it. The car sits on the ground."

"If gas prices are a concern, get a hybrid. People who buy these cars should be able to afford the gas without crying about it."

I'm glad you like the G and also glad you like paying the price at the pump. In the application of the G I'm not sure where the hp advantage really translates into an advantage of the car overall against the BMW. In the class the G is in hp isn't the end all and it's a thirsty car.

As you say the BMW is a little smoother and the G has a little more horsepower, but that's it.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I lease the E90 330xi and test drove the G35 coupe. Not apples to apples but handling in the G was excellent but wind ni\oise was noticable. The difference between the 2 come down to choise of style and driving feel which for me is edged by the Bimmer. In the power distribution, coupe felt faster low end, bimmer more controlled at speed.

I also test drove a 300 SRT8 which is 425/420 hp/Tq and has the Bembro brakes. My take was this was a fast, well performing car but way less refined than the foreign competition. We won't get into gas mileage because as you say, you should know what you are getting into up front. I think some folks might expect too much from 1 vehicle which are designed for ever more specific modes of getting around.
  • rwardrward Member Posts: 5
    Hi everyone ,

this is my first post on this forum. Having leased a 2004 BMW 325I with sports and premium packages with smg transmission and now owning a 2005 G35, loaded with manual transmission for four months, I thought I should compare the two cars for anyone looking to buy one or the other.

Although both cars are marketed to the same audience, I find them completely different. The G35 is much larger feeling and driving wise except for the drivers position in which there are several ergonomic issues, that make the driver feel a little cramped. Left shoulder, left knee and right knee bump into areas of the cabin that never were an issue in the smaller 325I. Drivers seat controls on right seat bolster are a real issue if you are over six feet tall. See other forums on this subject but you have been warned here. Otherwise your family will thank you for buying the g35 as mine has when it comes to their comfort.

However, I guess I should start off by saying right away that I miss the BMW a lot. Most important isuue in a sports sedan should be to me anyway how it handles. It handled perfect. No comparison to the G35. I really felt one with the road. The g35 feels heavy in comparison and the way over-active stability control that kicks in a lot when I drive around a corner is a pain.

G35 engine is much more powerful, duh!, but has a lot of vibration that you feel through the clutch and gear shift knob. Clutch is a little heavy and requires a little to much attention to itself when letting it out to shift smoothly. However, to be fair,the SMG in Bmw was fun for awhile but stay away and stick with BMW's excellent manuals.

Sports LUXURY sedan. Bmw has less bling appeal on the surface but offers way more. Things missing or not quite right on the g35 are no night light on the shifter, no day running lights, cigarette lighters turn off when car is off, seperate key fob on manual in 2005 anyway, no auto door lock when car starts, lots of squeeks in my car anyway, right center armrest on manual is useless, high beem color is off, low beems are not the small round type so the light pattern is not so hot, auto A.C. is not as sensitive to cabin temperature, key remote is not adjustable as in open all doors or just the drivers. There is more but you get the idea.

To summarize, the G35 just doesn't feel very sporty or luxurious to me after two years with the 325i, just larger and a little less money. This may sound stupid but it has no soul or anything passionate about it. The BMW was really an ultimate driving machine.

Hope this helps.
    Informative and interesting post.

So why did you get rid of the 325i? Was it only a 24 month lease?

Back in 2004, I considered the G35, 330i, and Acura TL, all with 6 speed manuals. I felt the same way you did/do about the G35. The TL is obviously FWD limited, but it actually felt lighter and more responsive, with a much smoother revving engine than the G35. The 330i (w/ performance package) was my top choice for handling and driving dynamics, but was a tough fit as a family sedan compared to my outgoing Maxima. I went for the TL figuring it gave me the best combination of size, sportiness, refinement and luxury. Faortunately part two of my plan to get a sports car was completed last fall with a 911S Cab. And it even holds our wholee family, so the TL is getting a little dusty at times.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Great post, thank you! And welcome!
  • tallbrunettetallbrunette Member Posts: 6
    I am looking to purchase an Infiniti G35 2006 or Acura TL
    Can someone tell me if the TL has zenon head lights? Does anyone know the warranty for an Acura TL. I use my car in business and drive ~20,000 miles/yr. Which is better for ride and economy?
    Have you taken both cars for a test drive? I think the TL would win for fuel economy, but the G35 is more oriented toward sport. If it were me, I would get the TL.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Hello: I compared/contrasted both cars. Both winners, depending on your criteria, which, sound a bit like mine. The better choice for me was the TL: Smoother, quieter ride, better style inside and out with better materials in the interior (imho, of course). Better fuel economy (both EPA and in discussing with a co-worker who drives an '04 G35x).

Yes, the TL has bi-xenon (HID) headlights with a 4yr/50k miles warranty.

You must drive them both as extesively as possible to make your best decision.

Good luck, have fun and let us know which was the best car for you.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• bearvpbearvp Member Posts: 10
    I am in the market for a used version of one of these types of cars. I cannot afford a BMW 330i after all the bells and whistles I want are added so for me it is between an 05 or newer TL and G35.

From my research and test driving both cars I have found that the interior of the TL is superior to the G35, minus the poor quality of leather in the TL. I am not a huge fan of the auto tranny in the TL as it seems to not shift fast enough when I want it to. The G35 is more fun to drive, but the interior does not seem any better than a regular Nissan. Also, I will have semi-poor road conditions to contend with in the winter and I would have to spring for the X version of the G35 while the FWD of the TL would be fine.

If anyone owns either of these 2 cars could comment on the lasting quality, interior quality (especially the leather quality), winter handling, automatic transmission performance, ground clearance issues for the TL, and overall "It" factor for each I would appreciate it. Thanks
    I have an '05 auto Tl (you are aware you can get a 6 speed manual in the TL, of course...). I have no issue with the leather in my now 19 month old TL, it looks almost new. I treat it with McGuires Leather wipes every so often.

If you live in a snow belt (I'm in Boston area), the TL with the standard tires will not be great in the snow. The larger footprint of the Bridgestone's on my TL combined with the fact that they are just not good in the snow has presented me with some challenges the past couple of winters. If I was using the TL to head to ski country, snows would be mandatory. I won't be a repeat Turanza EL42 customer...

I, too, considered (among others) the G35 and the TL and here is why the TL was the winner for me vs. the G:

Better styling both inside and out.
    Better materials and layout of the interior.
    Smoother, quieter ride (coming from a Chrylser 300M, great car btw, I wanted quieter...)
    Better mpg.
    FWD vs the added weight/complexity of AWD.

I enjoyed the Infiiti's power and handling. But I lean towards the luxury side of the luxury/sports sedan equation.

Good luck, let us know which turns out to be the best car for you!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I am not a huge fan of the auto tranny in the TL as it seems to not shift fast enough when I want it to.

My TL 6-speed shifts just fine. Nice short throws that are nearly as precise as my former S2000 and much better than the G35 6-speed I tested in 2004. But I am also not at all impressed with the performance of Acura's automatic transmissions. They fall well behind BMW and Mercedes, and even Infiniti and Lexus, IMO. We would gladly have paid extra for a TL style 6-speed in our MDX, had that been an option.

I've heard every excuse why people claim they need an automatic. Most are lame. My wife and I have each been driving 30+ years, live in traffic unfriendly DC and still, with the exception of the MDX, neither of us has ever owned an automatic. If wives can take up golf and tennis, they sure as hell can learn to drive a stick. Heck, my youngest daughter could shift my S2000 from 1st to 2nd and back from the passenger seat when she was 5 (with her left hand). She would tell me when when to push in the clutch. We never went over 20 mph, but that's beside the point.

Unless you have a physical disability, you really ought to consider the TL 6-speed. In addition to a manual transmission, it has exceptional Brembo brakes and a sportier suspension that makes it tighter handling. Just don't order the high performance tire option. The Bridgestone Potenza's are great on dry pavement, but a bit squirmish in the snow.
    I understand that different tires come on the navi vs non-navi models. Are the Michelins on the navi models any better quality than the Bridgestone ones you guys have? On my budget I am looking for a 2005 or 2006 once the 07's come out and it is pretty hard to find a manual trans TL out there. I'd like navi, but it is not a must for me since I bet I would use it less than 5% of my driving time. I am pretty sure that given the quality of build for Acuras buying a couple years used isn't a problem. I am trying to stay away from 04 TLs since it was a redesigning year and usually those are trouble spots.

Do you two have any problems with the low clearance issue? Some reviews have said that they scrape their TLs on the pavement when going up abrupt inclines and on curbs.
    I have a 2004 6-speed w/ navigation. When I bought, there was no difference in tires between navi and non-navi models. All automatics got Bridgestone Tourenzas. The 6-speed had an option for "HPT" (high performance tires), which, for an extra $200, replaced the Bridgestone Tourenzas with much better Bridgestone Potenzas. I'm not sure what they are using currently.

I found large dealers in DC had at least 1-2 6-speeds to test drive. My small hometown dealer had to order a 6-speed (in reality, swap allocations) to get a navi in my exact color choice. But it only took a few weeks. They are in western PA, within a couple hundred miles of the Acura factory in Ohio at whcih the TL is ade, so that may have helped.

I don't have problems with low clearance over speed bumps or up and down ramps. You can't drive your wheels right up to a 7-8" high concrete wheel stop in a parking lot, but I think that's the case with almost all cars today. If the front apron on the TL is any lower than my 1995 Maxima, it's only by an inch or less.

Regarding the 2004 model, I have 23,000 miles on mine and have a couple of friends that have 35,000 and 40,000 miles respectively. I am not aware of any new model bugs, so I wouldn't avoid the 2004 model year, if that gets you what you want at the right price. My 1995 Maxima and 2005 911 were also first model year redesigns without any problems.
    Oh yea! I'm trading my 05 in for an 07.

To address the TL and G35 shopper, take CR's advice. If you want luxury with a little sport, get the TL. If you want performance with a little luxury, get a G. 306 ponies are bound to kick something!
    0-60 in about 5 seconds! Yikes!
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Get the TL. Fun to drive, 32 mpg highway, looks better, priced lower, less aggrivating issues (check out problems and solutions on this board for both cars and you'll see what I mean), MORE ROOM (I felt a bit cramped in the G35), better standard electronics (Hands Free Link for bluetooth phones,etc.) and American made! (doesn't hurt to pump our econonmy)
  • avs007avs007 Member Posts: 100
    Get the TL. Fun to drive, 32 mpg highway, looks better, priced lower, less aggrivating issues (check out problems and solutions on this board for both cars and you'll see what I mean), MORE ROOM (I felt a bit cramped in the G35), better standard electronics (Hands Free Link for bluetooth phones,etc.) and American made! (doesn't hurt to pump our econonmy)

Better electronics? The G35 also has bluetooth hands free. The G35 also has things the TL does not, like power tilt/telescoping steering wheel with memory, keyless/intelligent locks/ignition, MP3 support, RDS Display on radio, etc.
    So I am still thinking about an 05 TL as my car of choice right now. I just test drove a 2003 BMW 330xi and it felt alot better on the road than the TL, but the interior was pretty skimp on a $30k car. I don't have the money to buy a brand new car and obviously a Japanese car will hold its value better than a German one, but I just wanted to see what people thought on this...is there a huge difference over an 04 TL and an 05 TL? Consumer Reports says 04 is a trouble-spot year for the TL bc of the redesign and they rate the body integrity pretty low for that year. I figure if I wait for the 07 TL to come out I will be able to find a cheaper 05 with navi for the same price as an 05 is currently. Does anyone have an opinion on a solid reason to get an 05 over an 04 other than it just being a year newer? Thanks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's discuss the difference in the ride quality between the 530Xi and 330Xi here: BMW 3-Series AWD vs. BMW 5-Series AWD. :)
  • dleshinedleshine Member Posts: 2
    Since I have both, I can tell you, the TL is heavier, gets ecellent gas mileage. For the type of driving you say you do, the TL wins. PS, the Infiniti is considerably noisier, and the shifter noise is very noticeable.

Dave
  • kman007kman007 Member Posts: 1
    I think the intelligent key system is buggie. You will read about the issues on other sites. The computer chip that controls all the funky tech is unstable.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    I think the intelligent key system is buggie. You will read about the issues on other sites. The computer chip that controls all the funky tech is unstable.

I had the G for about 8 months now and never had any problems with the key. I think the problem is minimal. People don't know how convenience it is until they have it.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I agree.
    Mine is 5 months old and no problems to speak of.

Yes, there is a known issue with the codes in the fob getting scrambled if you allow your fob to sit directly on your cell phone and the phone receives a call... but this is being corrected and we should all have new keys by the end of Sept.

This is my first car with a keyless ignition and with my experience so far, I hope all of my future cars have the option as well.
    Keyless ignitions! Nuts! Just when I was figuring out the complexities of using a key/ignition combo!!! Let's see:

1. Insert key
    2. Turn key

Thank goodness we're getting rid of this bit of mechanical Rube Goldberg-ism. I hear there's something called I-Drive that greatly enhances the driving experience too!

:P ;)

This discussion has been closed.