Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera vs Toyota Avalon vs Ford Taurus vs Chevrolet Impala

1111213141517»

Comments

• keitha3keitha3 Member Posts: 124
    Yes, Hyundai must change its public image.

Today, talker that I am, I told quite a few people how impressed I was with the Azera.

Most have a completely negative opinion of Hyundai's. They just perceive of it as a second rate car, not Yugo like, but not nearly in the same league as the Honda's, Toyota's, etc. of the automotive world.

The exception were Hyundai owners who all were positive about their cars. Their major complaints regarding Hyundai's were the quality of their paint jobs and the dismal resale value of Hyundai's.

I'm going to keep a very open mind and am glad I have to wait a while until my youngest daughter turns 16.

My mechanic/drag racer friend was very happy to hear that the Infiniti G35 was still one on my short list. But, for the time being, the Azera is at the top of the list, albeit a very different car.
  • cicerobillcicerobill Member Posts: 9
    Maybe I just have a dead butt or something, but I think my Azera rides great. It's soft, yes, but that is what I want and expect from a luxury style sedan. If I wanted a "sportier" ride, i would buy a sportier car. My wife has an Audi A4 and that car has terrific high speed handling and very responsive and tight cornering. But, the ride isn't as smoth and soft as the Azera. The Audi is a sportier car, ergo sportier handling.... makes sense, no?
  • captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    I don't think there is any question that Hyundai has changed - as evidenced by cars like the Azera (and upcoming Genesis) - getting that public image changed though is somewhat more difficult. The Azera as class competitive as it is still sells largely on price something that reflects negatively on resale values later. It would be better for Hyundai if they didn't have to discount the Azera so much to sell it - although I can't fathom a car world where a Korean built car is not perceived as 'cheap', I remember when the Toyotas of the 60s were indeed very 'cheap' cars- it took maybe 20 years for them to live down that rap - largely due to some real quality improvements in their products, a genuinely good understanding of the American car market (and buyer), and lastly the inabilities and indifferences of the American mfgrs. in the face of rising energy costs. I cannot remember though any time during this whole maturation process that Toyotas were ever perceived as 'price' or 'value' leaders, which may be crux of Hyundai's problem - they need to draw a line in the sand and do their best to keep their prices up!
  • jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    LOL, You must have a short memory Captain, I can easily remember when Toyotas and Nissan/Datsun were "price" leaders against Fords, Chevy, Plymouth, Oldsmobile, etc. Have you forgotten the classic Toyota small HILUX p/u's versus the F-150'a, and the Celica's and Corolla's versus the Mustangs and Camaro's of the late 60's.

I think you might need to layoff that sake bottle. Those brain cells are tough to replace.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    and the Celica's and Corolla's versus the Mustangs and Camaro's of the late 60's.

I'm only 20, so call me ignorant, but was a Corolla made to compete with late 60s muscle cars? Those seem like two different classes of cars. I thought a Corolla would compete with the likes of a Chevette, etc...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Maybe I fell asleep (entirely possible :)) but I don't see where we're on topic in the recent posts here...
    Whoops. :blush: Sorry. ;)
    This in the newspaper today as apparently CR has released its rankings in multiple classes.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,908
    Not in the rental car world ;) !

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

makes you wonder which happens first : corporate America finally 'buys' enough Impalas for their fleets or Chevy runs out of the white paint needed for them. :D However, CR's 'worst' nomination does not make sense to me - if we are to assume that the cause for the rating is suspect reliability (as it normally is with CR). There is nothing on the Impala spec sheet that should create any problem for GM (or anybody else), pushrod 6s and 8s to go along with the 4 speed trannies - if anything surveyed reliability should be at least be something better than average. The model that figures to have more problems perhaps the long awaited RWD Aussie (2010?) Impala with one of those good fuel efficient V8s. ;)
    Please participate!

Ford Taurus Prices Paid & Buying Experience

I need some help in this area!
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Is it possible to change the name from FIVE HUNDRED to TAURUS ?
    It says Taurus...?
    What name?
    My mistake :P . I thought I saw the name FIVE HUNDRED instead of TAURUS yesterday. Sorry Pat.
    :shades:

Actually, you may have noticed Five Hundred in the categories rather than the discussion name. Taurus is there too so I never removed Five Hundred - we don't have to confine this conversation to new cars by any means.
    Thanks for the clarification :)
  • dfwfrankdfwfrank Member Posts: 25
    We have been Toyota owners for 18 years, the last 6 in Avalons. Wife and I, she is the main driver of this car, just did not like the exterior of current Avalons when compared to our 2004. We also felt that the Avalon's interiors had been cheapened. More plastic, seats just did not seem as plush, the dash space to windshield is huge, the funky door to the radio/CD. Trunk space went from 16 to 14.0 cu. ft. (We still travel by car at least once a year and four adults need the big trunk.) Plus dealer, who we had bought our last 5 Toyotas from just seemed to not care, as if saying we don't have to work as hard, we're Toyota. We test drove the Azera 3 different times, 3 different dealers, same for Avalon, each time kept coming back to the Azera. Felt for the money, what you get standard, and simple package upgrades, and no dealer add-ons it was a better deal. Regarding resale, what I lose in the end I made up with the price upfront. Reliability, well needed a new trany in the first Avalon within a month, took both in for rattles, squeeks, and noise behind dash. At 15000 miles maintenance told that transmission fluid needed replacement because it was burned. We don't pull a trailer or abuse our cars. We will see in a couple of years whether we buy another Hyundai but that's the fun of trying something different.
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    This 2006 Azera Limited is the largest car I've owned, and I'm also trying something different as I've owned only two cars in the past 30 years, a 1977 Accord bought new (died at 328k miles) and a 1990 Accord bought with 28k miles on it (now residing as a back-up vehicle in my back yard with 248k miles on the odo). Resale value means nothing to me, as I plan to keep a car "forever."

I put my money where my hopes are for the Hyundai marque and I'll hold Hyundai to Honda standards! So far (17k miles) so good... :shades:
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    I put my money where my hopes are for the Hyundai marque and I'll hold Hyundai to Honda standards! So far (17k miles) so good...

Well just to let you know I have an Elantra that pushing 150K miles that has had only one issue (at around 120K miles). I would think that holds up to any standard out there.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    My wife had a Hyundai Scoupe that was shot at 70,000 miles.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,908
    Its funny how people's tastes can be so different. I came out of an '03 Avalon and feel the '06 is better in every way except the seats. You are right, the seats in the earlier generation were a little bigger and plusher. Other than that, I feel the '06 is better looking, more powerful, better MPG and handles a touch better. Even though the trunk is smaller, I haven't had any problems carrying the same things my '03 carried.

As for the Azera, you made a good choice there too. For the money it is the best large car "value". If you read back in the forums you will find several very happy Azera owners.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Thats unusual as the Scoupe was a halfway decent car.

However my Elantra is running great at over 145K miles.

My wifes Accent at 120K miles is running great.

My daughters Elantra just over 100K miles is running great.

The only issues with all three cars is that the daughter had to get a new radiator at around 90K miles and my car needed a new exhaust manifold at about 120K miles (which Hyundai replace under warranty).

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

been Toyota owners for 18 years, the last 6 in Avalons
    and later
    Reliability, well needed a new trany in the first Avalon within a month, took both in for rattles, squeeks, and noise behind dash. At 15000 miles maintenance told that transmission fluid needed replacement because it was burned
    Curious then - if you had so much trouble with your older (2004 and earlier) Avalons why on earth would you be buying another one (or even consider buying another one). In my case, it was the simple and 'clean' interior (I like the stereo being hidden behind a door, for example), the updated exterior styling (the car is far from 'pretty' though), and, most of all, the new engine that even got me into what became my 05 Avalon - wouldn't have considered it otherwise.
    Glad to answer your question.
    First I guess what is "so much trouble", your words not mine, is relative. Except for the above mentioned problems, and with the '01 Avalon needing new battery at 18 months and new tires at 16000 miles (bad tires), we had no other problems with either car. My point was that no matter what the car, one should not expect it to be problem free. Now with a Toyota one does decrease the odds of getting a problem car but it still happens. I am sure the 07 V6 Camry and certain Tundra owners would have something to say.
    2nd, Why would I not look at another Avalon, we really did not have what I considered major problems with any of previous Toyotas. It's a Toyota. My wife and I just did not find the car, in this current style, appealing. If all of us had the same tastes life and cars would be pretty dull. In a couple of years we will be looking again and we will see what Toyota is offering because its fun to test drive and see what's out there.
    It is fun to see how peoples tastes can be so different. As I responded to another member, life and cars would be dull if we all had the same tastes. Maybe a new topic, "What type of car would all of us agree to own?" What would it look like if we only had one to choose? Boy that would get some member's hearts pumping. Would it be a silver CamCord. We have enjoyed the Azera a lot so far, still some big ifs. Waiting to see just how reliable, it has some quirkyness to it, and when we test drove it and also once bought we took it out for interstate driving and it did very well but I am curious on what it will drive like on our first long trip. Obviously will keep posting since I feel it is important to let people know the good and the bad.
  • cicerobillcicerobill Member Posts: 9
    I agree, DFW, to each his own! My wife and I just got back from a medium length drive up to Vermont from Upstate New York. One way was about 300 miles. Except to stop for food once, we drove straight. Never had a sleeping butt, cramped knees or aching back. Same thing on the way back. The Azera is a very comfortable touring car, IMHO.
  • theblackholetheblackhole Member Posts: 62
    From Autoblog;

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/21/toyota-exec-calls-hyundai-strong-enemy/

You know you've arrived when your competitors not only begin acknowledging that you exist, but actually see you as a threat. Hyundai got to enjoy this distinct pleasure today when Toyota's chairman Fujio Cho told a group of Korean journalists that it was a "strong enemy". Not only has Hyundai completely transformed its image in North America from a slinger of bargain basement econo-boxes to a respected purveyor of reasonably priced, well built automobiles, but it's also going after emerging markets like China, Africa and the Middle East as hard as anyone else. Plus, Toyota has directly felt the sting of Hyundai's success, having been forced to rub elbows with the brand at the top of many recent J.D. Power and Associates reports. Still, calling Hyundai a 'strong enemy' is a bit harsh, no? How about "worthy adversary" or "respected competitor"? Toyota really drives home the point that the business of selling cars is like war and that no 'enemy' should be underestimated.

Thanks for the tip, catgirlshyla!

[Source: TradingMarkets.com]
  • scbobscbob Member Posts: 167
    It's out and Azera did extremely well based on cars through 2006 model year.
  • scbobscbob Member Posts: 167
    The Jan. 2008 issue is also out and it shows Azera with an 83% owner satisfaction vs. 80% for Avalon in large cars. Only two vehicles in category to make the 80% minimum for owners being satisfied.
    Sometimes it may be hard to believe in reading this and other forums that 83% of Azera owners would do it again. I know I would. :)
    Santa Fe also made the list and it is first time for two Korean cars to be on the list.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    From what I'm reading - the Genesis is more what folks should be comparing the Avalon to.

I picked up a 2008 Avalon Touring model and love it (most of the time), but had the local Hyundai dealer made me the offer he did BEFRE I purchased the Avalon, I might have purchased it.

I didn't take it for a ride as it was more then I was willing to spend, but everything I see and read says it's a great car. About the only thing that might have caused me to think about it, was or is, re-sale value. Right now Toyota has it ALL over Hyundai in re-sale value. A 5 year old Toyota has a much higher re-sale value then a 5 year old Hyundai. I do expect that to change real soon with the new cars they are coming out with.

It's hard to use that as the only factor, but for me, it's the only factor I worry about.

I WILL be trying a Genesis out soon (as my Avalon is making much more noise underneath than I'd like), and I'm more likely to consider a Genesis then a 2009 Avalon … at this time.

Skip
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    The Avalon is what I'd likely have bought in 2006, but Toyota wouldn't budge on the price (then) and when I test drove the Azera and talked price with the Hyundai dealer, I drove off in a new Azera Limited, six or seven thousand $s to the good.

Still happy as a clam with a tad under 35k miles, but I agree that it'll be years yet before the resale value is comparable with Toyota/Lexus/Honda/Accura. Fortunately for me, I keep a car "forever," 20 years with my 1977 Accord, 16 years with my 1990 Accord...
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    In my mind, it would depend a lot on whether I have to drive in snow on a regular basis. FWD, as offered in the Avalon ( and Azera ) will be much better in the snow than the RWD Genesis.
    As far as resale value, yeah, used Toyotas fetch more money, but they also cost more in the first place than a comparable Hyundai.
    I agree that it'll be years yet before the resale value is comparable with Toyota/Lexus/Honda/Accura. Fortunately for me, I keep a car "forever," 20 years with my 1977 Accord, 16 years with my 1990 Accord...

That's great, unless somebody totals your car. Hopefully you never experience that, but if you do, the amount you get from the insurance company might break your heart! I've seen it happen with my aunt who owned a Dodge, and got dirt in return when her vehicle was totaled. It was 11 years ago, but it was enough to make her go to a Honda for its resale (and the then-new CR-V :)). She really took a bath with that Dodge and its poor resale. it was only 3 years old.
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    I certainly wouldn't let fear of totaling my car, as relates to residual value, be a determining factor in my purchase. Vehicle safety systems such as crashworthiness, stabilty control, etc., are important to me, for sure, but not cost replacement.
    I've been driving for nearly half a century and had a total of two minor fender benders in that time. My lack of concern for my car occupying the same space as another is why I keep my insurance deductables at $1000 in order to keep more money in my pocket.
    Besides, you're going to pay more money initially for your comparable Honda or Toyota ( higher MSRP and lower discounting ) than a Hyundai. What's important is cost difference, not how much the totalled car is worth.
    I guess I'm cynical. In my 6 years of driving, being rear-ended twice, run off the road once, and clipped at 75MPH has me thinking about things such as car wrecks.

Knock on wood, but I've never been ticketed for driving (i go pretty slow), or caused an accident.
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Sometimes driving slow can attribute to an accident...especially if you're impeding the flow of traffic and causing cars to "bunch up" on the road. Keep an eye on your rear-view mirrors and as long as you don't see a "wagon train" behind you, drive as slow as you like. :)

As for resale and insurance, I know at least some insurance companies offer full-replacement value vs. simple book value. I think the difference is retail vs. wholesale. In other words, you could replace the totalled car with a comparable model year and make.
    "Pretty slow" equates to "5-10mph over the posted limit" most of the time, closer to the limit when in residential zones. I don't, however, RACE to the next red light, and when I can, I'll coast to the current one I see.

I'm not a traffic impeder. I work as a courier part time. :)
  • t8935xt8935x Member Posts: 6
    In my area at least (Long Island NY) HYUNDAI dealers are ONLY offering leases on GENESIS and GENESIS COUPES. And these are not very good deals, since the residual on these cars is quite poor (as of now). No way to lease an AZERA (which, I believe is in its last model year).

Also, to those who think people who lease are foolish - you should first consider the accounting rules on auto deductions for businesses.

Tom
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    That makes no sense. Hyundai may be offering only lease incentives on the Genesis (current incentive in Long Island is $399/month), but if you walk in with cash or a pre-arranged loan the dealer would be foolish to turn you away.

The reverse is true for the Azera. Hyundai is offering only financing incentives on the Azera. You could probably find a bank or credit union from whom a lease could be arranged. Azeras have poor residuals. Dealers here are selling '08 Azera Limiteds with only 8,000 miles on them for $19,000. That's a $13,000 drop in only 1 year. You would be better off purchasing an Azera than leasing one. If it is being purchased for all business use, you should be able to write-off some of the depreciation.
  • hc106hc106 Member Posts: 10
    When I went shopping for a new car in 2007, after doing my online research, I had decided it would be a Hyundai Azera Limited or a Toyota Avalon . At the time my sister owned a new Avalon, and I drove it before going shopping.

Since I had driven the Avalon, I went to the Hyundai dealer first. The list price on the Avalon was $5000 more than the Azera; after driving the Azera, & finding it comparable in handling, ride comfort, etc, to the Avalon, I didn't even bother going to the Toyota dealership as it would have been a waste of time.

I have not regretted the decision. I am extremely happy with my Azera Limited and will replace it with another Hyundai when the time comes. I would also like to note that I found the transaction at Baytown Hyundai in Baytown, TX, very pleasurable. The salesman and personnel were curtious, knowledgable and informed. Above all, they wanted to sell cars and we were able to negotiate a price that was around $400 over invoice. I have had the car service there since purchase, and have been very happy with the service department also.
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    Dealers here are selling '08 Azera Limiteds with only 8,000 miles on them for $19,000. That's a $13,000 drop in only 1 year.

Perhaps this is quibbling, but nobody on earth is paying anywhere near the $32,000 loaded MSRP for an Azera -- any Azera. Chances are it's a drop of more like $8,000 than $13,000 from the actual purchase price, which is bad but not unique.

As for thegraduate's comments on an insurance total, if you paid $7,000 less to begin with and then get $7,000 less from the insurance company when it gets totaled, how would you have saved by paying more up front?
    It would be nice if insurance worked in a fair manner like you lay out in your post( by the way, couldn't agree more about the Azera "price drop" comments ) but for discussion's sake I'll leave it at our last posts on the issue. :)

My girlfriend just bought herself a Hyundai. 2007 Santa Fe GLS with heated leather and the 2.7L, 14,000 miles, and only paid $13,500. It was a local-bank-owned repo that blue-booked for over $16,000. She tickled with it. It's quite a nice ride!
  • ms090870ms090870 Member Posts: 9
    I lucked out and got an AWESOME deal on my 07 Azera. I did not purchase it until 09/2008 but it was an 07 that never sold. It only had 450 miles on it. The Azera Limited where listing at $32,000.00 and I only paid $21000.00 for mine that is fully loaded except navigation. It is a GREAT car. I love it. This is the second Hyundai that I have purchased. My first was a 2001 Sonata that I have for 7 years and put 125,000 miles on it. I did not even replacfe a head lamp on this car until it 90,000 miles. They have both been great cars and Hyundais are definiately moving up.

MY NEXT WILL BE A GENISIS COUPE!!! Very fun little car to drive.
This discussion has been closed.