Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Audio & Entertainment Questions

Comments

• szetoszeto Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone purchased a tape cassette player to fit in the empty slot beneath the radio/CD changer unit? The Mazda OEM machine costs over $140 with the face plate costing another $65. Seems quite expensive. What about a third party unit? Would it fit nicely? Any advice? Is the face plate really that beneficial?
  • joseph15joseph15 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a Mazda 5 Sport with Popular Package that includes the 6 CD radio. Also AT and Homelink mirror. Love the car. The only thing I'd love to have that isn't available as an option for the Sport, is the six speaker system than comes with the Touring model. Has anyone looked in to adding tweeter speakers to the front pillars - Is it feasible?
  • kw_dakw_da Member Posts: 76
    Hi,

Check these links for a cheaper price for cassette player. www.finishlineperformance.com or www.mazdastuff.com

David
  • kcekce Member Posts: 2
    The main audio line plugs into the back of the stereo, and it is easily fed behind the stereo through an existing opening on the right side of the stereo to the glove box where you plug it into your ipod. It did take me only 30 minutes- the hardest part was getting my navigation joystick unplugged on the panel that fits over the shifter. I have unfortunately have had problems with the system since installation, where it suddenly stops playing while driving. I am probably going to make sure everything is plugged in well, but wanted to let you know I have had some problems. Hope that helps!
  • csosalanzcsosalanz Member Posts: 3
    I'm getting a lot of blinking from all the lights in the center dash (radio, ac controls). The power to the radio itself does not flicker off just the lights. it doesn't seam to be related to hitting bumps while driving, but it seams to only happen if the engine is running.

Has anyoe seen this? Any ideas?
  • nissmazlovernissmazlover Member Posts: 162
    Hey, all!

Just want to let you know that I got the Mazda Genuine Parts iPod integration kit hooked up in my 5. It cost a total of $249.00. They put the cable in the glove compartment and that is where the iPod stays during use. You don't control the music through the iPod itself. You control everything through the stereo.

To access the iPod when it's connected, you have to depress the CD button until "EX" (for external) is displayed. Then, it has menu options you go through numbered 1 through 6. Each number represents something different, i.e., 1 representes Artists, 2 represents Albums, etc. You scroll through these numbers until you get the option you want and it will start playing. Then you make your selections using the stereo buttons.

I have to admit that it's pretty tricky getting used to it and using it. I just got it last night, and still have to play with it more to get used to it. But, it has its advantages. #1 - The iPod is charged while it's playing, so there's no need for an additional charger and it will play continuously; #2 - the fact that you only control it through the stereo makes it a lot safer to use while driving as opposed to looking for your iPod, looking at the screen and making your selections all while driving; #3 - the sound is great and it sounds just like a CD; and #4 - it's a Mazda Genuine Accessory/Part, so it's part of the warranty and won't void any other part of the car's warranty.

On the down side, though: #1 - it's tricky to use; #2 - it will take you a while to select whatever Artist or Album you want to hear, unless you select it beforehand on the iPod itself and THEN connect it to the system, but even then if you want to select the following track through the steering wheel controls, it will bring you to the FIRST song on your iPod listed alphabetically by Artist; and #3 - they left two gaping holes in the back of my glove compartment, which takes away from its storage capacity and utility since objects can fall through the holes and into the inside of the dashboard area.

Overall, though, I LOVE my iPod hook up. I'm just sad that the two gaping holes are there inside the glove box and that my glove box door no longer opens in a dampened manner, but just PLOPS open with no resistance whatsoever. I should take it back for that, though I don't know if that can be fixed. What do you think?
  • csosalanzcsosalanz Member Posts: 3
    $249 is really expensive for a "cable" In relation to the price of the iPod, it doesn't make sense. Can the cable be purchased without installation?

In regards to the two gaping holes and the damped glove box, I would take it back, make them replace the glove box and have them install or make the hole up in the shelf area. They basically broke your glove box. I'm sure the installation was not designed like that.

i like the idea of controlling it through the car stereo and steering wheel! That's slick. Specially since I only use the shuffle mode in the car. (it give the whole family a random chance of listening to their music). I also love the idea that when you turn off the car, the iPod turns off. Right now I have a DIY solution in my Subaru, but I have to remember to turn off the iPod otherwise I'll burn out the drive prematurely.
  • vinnyfastvinnyfast Member Posts: 33
    I've had a couple of audio accessories installed. Dealer is just going to send it out and add their cut on top. Better if you take it to a reputable place and get anything professionally installed. I bought a dual 12" sub box and had the wiring professionally installed at Best Buy for only $60.00. Sounds amazing, considering I only paid $129.00 for the sub box. I also had an aux jack installed for $180.00. Genuine Mazda accessory which has a plug and play connector. I can now get CD quality music with my MP3 player thru the CD EX mode. As for video, you can find a descent quality unit at http://www.mp3playerstore.com/, and have installed for around $50 (Best Buy). This will still be much cheaper than what the dealer would charge.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I think $294 was for the part ($149) AND installation.
    I also had an aux jack installed for $180.00. Genuine Mazda accessory which has a plug and play connector.

I haven't heard about this one. Do you have any details?
  • kw_dakw_da Member Posts: 76
    Hi,

See post#37. It has both the ipod interface & aux input. The ipod interface is better than Mazda's since you can control the ipod thru either the headunit or the ipod click wheel when it is plugged in. I installed one of these and it works great. I believe that the price is now cheaper too. Not too hard to install, just be careful taking off the shifter plate.

David
    I was asking about the Genuine Mazda Accessory auxiliary input. I'm aware of the iPod integration module, but have never seen the aux input as an accessory.
  • riproyriproy Member Posts: 57
    I received a Sirius sat radio and would like to hardwire it to the stereo. I am trying to minimize the amount of wires visible and 'medicman' says that you do not need to mount the antenna outside. Is this a fact? The instructions that came with the radio clearly state that it should be mounted on the roof. What have others done?
    thanks
    I tucked my antenna wire under the dash, up the door seaming welt and along the headliner to the rear hatch where it mounts just behind the radio antenna. Took about 10 minutes and you can only see it where it comes out under the dash. The wire is so thin it can be simply tucked in almost anywhere.
    My aux input was professionally installed and worked with switching the mode to EX to hear sound. Very clear, but now I've decided to add some serious entertainment, so I won't be needing this module anymore. If anyone is interested in buying it, only used for about an hour, I'll be willing to let it go for $100. I've ordered a replacement double din facplate www.speedline.com , and will be installing a Pioneed Avic-D3 nav unit with DVD, plus I've already ordered and received 2 7" Hitachi headrest units. I have another separate DVD player with tv tuner which will fit into the glovebox, with remote sensor. A $750 security/remote starter system will finish off the installation process. I'm also planning on replacing the current 17" rims with 18" http://www.victoriatire.com/wheels.html?&pkg_tire=[PKG_TIRE]&checked_size=18&&pk- g_tire=[PKGTIRE]&cart=1&brand=RPM&PICNUM=2231&&checkAvailable=F&name=R-505%20BLA- CK%20CHROME&make=MAZDA&model=5%2006-07&size=18 , but haven't been able to locate this model in Canada yet. They'll have 225/35ZR18 rubber to compliment. I'm also in the process of sourcing out a supercharger, but won't do that install until the warranty runs out in about 40k. :)
  • john707john707 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased what sounds like the same item from www.therpmstore.com. Total cost was $124. It is actually more than a cable. There is a small (3x1.5x.75 inch) box with a cable that plugs into the back of the stereo and another cable that plugs into the IPOD. The device has an IPOD input that plugs into the bottom and a second 1/8in earphone jack that allows you to use any other MP3 player.

IPOD control is similar to the factory version. Hit the CD button twice and the IPOD comes up. You can scroll through play lists (made in advance) and advance or back-up a song. Song duration displays on the dash but title/artist does not.

Installation was not difficult but it did take about 3 hours, mostly because I was very cautious about taking apart our new car. I routed the cable to the cup holders between the front seats. This location provides much easier access to the IPOD than the glove box but it would also be very easy to run the cables to the glove box as well.

Sound quality is excellent (or at least up to the quality of the factory radio). This little thing made me wonder why I spend the extra money for the in dash CD changer.
  • athenasiusathenasius Member Posts: 118
    it sounds great. will you be able to use the steering wheel controls with the avic-D3? send pictures when you get it done. i could not find the faceplate on the site. how much is it?
  • kanatakanata Member Posts: 22
    I chose not to run the antenna cable along the headliner because of the side curtain air bags. What happens if they deploy and there is a cable across them? Will the bags become ineffective because they've been deflected, or will the cable be whipped into someone's head?

My antenna is on the roof next to the radio antenna. I ran the cable around the rear door seal, over the rear step, and along the floor to the front.
  • packrempackrem Member Posts: 1
    I just had the Ipod integration module installed yesterday by Mazda. Is there any way to shuffle the music? I am so frustrated to listen to the music in alphabetical order by artist. I am upset that I spent $300 on this. It does sound great but UGH! Thanks in advance
    In any music menu, press the Random button on your head unit and it will go into shuffle mode. Also, ask your dealer for the little tri-fold user guide; you may find it helpful.
    ">Have had the Pioneer AVIC-D3 installed about a month now. Had to pay extra ($120) for a cable and ECM so I can control the Pioneer from the steering wheel controls. Works great! I can tune radio, change IPOD songs, change source, volume, and more. The IPOD adapter cable was only $30, and I also added a bluetooth adapter ($200) for my phone.This also works great as I can add my contacts to the address book within the Pioneer unit - it has a 15gb HD built in. I added direct RCA's to the subwoofer - 2 12" with Fosgate amp, which gives me better control of the subs and sound. There is a second DVD player with built in TV tuner in the glovebox, which sends video and audio to the rear 7" headrests. i also have the option of watching the same thing on the Pioneer - when it's in park only. I also added a 2-way paging security/car starter system with keyless entry/auto lock-unlock and auto arm-disarm feature. This includes shock and microwave sensors, and keeps the existing factory alarm system. Everything works great except for the navigation and vehicle dynamics which is in the process of being resolved. Apparently, Mazda doesn't have a speed sensor cable to hook into the Pioneer, which it needs to maintain accuracy of the navigation. Final thing I added, for now, is aluminum door sills on all 4 doors with blue Mazda LED lighting when the doors are open. Oh, almost forgot to mention the rear (inside) night vision camera which can be seen on the 6.1" Pioneer screen automatically when in reverse, or by switching to it when driving. Still waiting another 4 weeks for my 18" black rims with Hankook UHP tires to arrive. Once I have that, I will post pictures. You can check out http://www.thespeedline.com/ where I picked up the dash kit, which looks great, but pricey at $230 including shipping. :shades:
    I decided not to renew my Sirius subscription and removed the equipment from my Mazda5.

The antenna is held on magnetically. Horror upon horrors, when I lifted it up I found a great amount of rust underneath it. Although I cleaned up most of it it looks like some of it permeated the paint. The magnetic metal strips on the antenna look like over time had vibrated and scored the paint.

I suggest that everyone who has installed a magnetic mounted antenna regularly remove it and clean any rust that is present. Also it would be a good idea to protect the paint with a layer of wax or other treatment that reduces the chance of rust buildup without reducing the magnetic holding strength.
    Mazda's system uses an adhesive backed antenna, so this would seem to only be an issue with aftermarket units.
    This sytem was provided by Mazda when I bought the car.
    Was it fully integrated into the head unit or did it have a separate display?
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    I bought an 2006 Mazda 5 a couple of months ago. It had Sirius already installed and activated. It's been working all this time. How do Sirius subscriptions work? When can I expect it to go dead?
    It was a separate unit.
    The one-year subscription provided with the 2006 Mazda began when the system was activated. About one year after I activated mine the programming stopped and was replaced with a text message that advised to call a 1-800 number to resubscribe.

In Canada go to https://activate.siriuscanada.ca/languagesetup.do?langpref=en to get the information on activating/subscribing for new and existing accounts.
    Mazda's factory/dealer integrated systems come with a 6-month subscription.
    If it was a separate display, it wasn't a Mazda unit and that's why it had a magnetic antenna.
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    Thanks. The car is over six months old. So I guess my question is what are the subscription renewal periods after you've subscribed? Also six months? Or are there multiple plans? If I'm lucky the previous owner set up an automatic payment plan out of his checking account and won't notice it for a couple of years. :)
  • fanballmanfanballman Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Mazda 5 about a week ago and negotiated a dvd player into the deal. It was installed by the dealer today and is an Advent adv100 model with a 7" screen. I was a little worried about how the viewing would be in the 2nd row because I have the moonroof. I am quite pleased with how it came out and watching it in the 2nd row is no problem. It came with an fm modulator and 2 wireless headsets. This will definitely make the kids happy for long drives!
  • lcostantinolcostantino Member Posts: 21
    Just upgraded to Pioneer 4-way and 3-way (in the back) for the door and back mounts. Best Buy sells Pioneer 6x8s which specifically fit Ford and Mazda. They sound positively great - the audio unit puts out more than enough power; it was the factory speakers that were crap. Well worth your $300; 2 bills for the speakers and one bill for installation.
  • riproyriproy Member Posts: 57
    Very interesting. Do the 6x8s fit both front and back? If not, what did you put in the back?
    Thanks
    klaus
  • w00000tw00000t Member Posts: 23
    Man...I spent a good 15 minutes burning an MP3 C.D. only to put it in my 2006 Mazda5 and all it did was play SILENCE. Come on now, this is a 2006 vehicle, and NO MP3 support??!!! Oh well..My old Chevy didn't support MP3 either. I was just hoping/thinking... you know... the Mazda5 would have it. Oh wells.
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    The Mazda5 has the option, but I believe is not by default on any trim. It has to be ordered either when new at the dealer or via a reseller. Business, business! $$. Now the 2008, has a Aux/input for like ipods or any MP3 player but too late for many of us :D.

http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=2280
  • patellis15patellis15 Member Posts: 2
    So what is the deal with the DVD system?! The brochure lists it as O/A, which I take to mean "accessory". Is that right? NO Mazda5's are coming off the boat with a DVD system installed?

Another message in this thread indicated that the DVD system was installed as the cars came off the boat....

DVD is a must, but seems to be what NO dealers are able to get. None of them (corresponding with 5 dealers so far...) have offerred to put the system in on their own.

Yes, I could go aftermarket... but that is not my preference (and I just got a quote on a Dual screen headrest system that is $400 MORE than the dealer rate for the DVD system).

Thoughts?!
  • smediajrsmediajr Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to install a Kenwood Double Din in the 5 but can not find a dash kit anywhere. I tried your link but they are gone to Chinese New Year and I did not see any on their site. I bought the IPOD interface from Mazda but as everyone else I do not like it. I am sitting here with my Kenwood I pulled out of my trade w navi, Blue tooth and Ipod and really miss it. Any help will be appreciated
  • athenasiusathenasius Member Posts: 118
    hey not sure if you can follow this link, you might have to copy and paste.
    vinnyfast, "Mazda5 Audio & Entertainment Questions" #68, 13 Apr 2007 11:58 am#67

if not it says #68 of 91 title Re:DVD entertainment?

hope that helps. follow the links.
  • yysyysyysyys Member Posts: 51
    Is 2008 Mazda5 In-dash 6-disc CD changer plays mp3 CD? Thanks.
    No, but it can be ordered. But if you are flexible the 08 has an Aux input.
  • fishbobfishbob Member Posts: 1
    Have you guys seen this add on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.ch/MP3-Player-for-MAZDA-M6-M5-M3-MX5-RX8-CX7-MPV-Premacy_W0QQite- mZ350013456363QQihZ022QQcategoryZ3293QQcmdZViewItem

This looks like the ticket. I did a money converter and it prices out at a little less than $60.00-US
  • smediajrsmediajr Member Posts: 2
    I finally got my ipod cable from the dealer until I can get my double din piece. I hate it. You really do not have a clue what you are going to listen to as it acts as a 6 disc changer and you scroll through it. You can prime the ipod by preselecting what you what to hear but that doesn't work. Sometimes it looses it all and starts all over. I do audio books on my ipod and it is really fun to try to find where you are on those.
    Finally the speedline is back from chinese new year (www.thespeedline.com) and I have finally gotten to order the double din plate. 145.+ 4.00 insurance and 40 to ship it. Alot of money but will be worth every penny to put my Kenwood 7100 double din in with navigation without having every thing on the windshield, and on the seat. I will update as to my progress. I know these dashes are good to look at but so limited in the functions of the radio.
  • sleepwalkersleepwalker Member Posts: 8
    we have a 20 :confuse: 08 gt with nav. What I would like to know is if anyone knows if the nav/cd combo has a place in the rear to plug in RCA cables for accessory hook-up. In the source screen there are two non-highlighted touch commands that have pictures of RCA cables for auxillary imputs. Before I go snooping behind a 2000 dollar nav unit, are they really there? any help would be appreciated. :confuse:
    You have an aux jack...will that not do?
    I don't know Japanese but in the Mazda Japan Web Site the Premacy (aka Mazda5 here) has the RCA (factory or option, not sure, see pic), so I'm assuming yours is grayed-out as the option is not available here. Maybe research aftermarket?
    Link to web site screenshot (in case it does not show up below):
    http://www.carspace.com/coolmazda5/Albums/audio/premacy_mazda5_rca.jpg/photo/v./- - photo.jpg

Web Site screenshot (in case it shows up here in this forum):

Source:
    www.premacy.mazda.co.jp
  • mws_74mws_74 Member Posts: 4
    We took an '08 Touring for a drive yesterday and were told that the Grand Touring model comes with a Bose stereo system. Any truth to this rumor? I find nothing online that shows the audio package is upgraded from the Touring to the Grand Touring.

Thanks in advance,
    MS from IL
    The salesperson is either smoking crack or you are posting in the wrong forum.

My money is on the crack pipe.
    It is a package option for the CX-7 and the CX-9 but not for the Mazda5
  • lgearylgeary Member Posts: 2
    what adapter is needed to hook a amp to the stock stereo??
This discussion has been closed.