Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    Have you replaced the fuel filter? It may be marginal and under lower fuel pressure (idle), it might be occassionally starved for fuel. Just a thought. My other thought was to run a can of seafoam through it, it may have some carbon deposits and seafoam will clean it out.
  • chevy65chevy65 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I have replaced the fuel filter on it. I will try the seafoam cleaner. Is that different than injector cleaner? Thanks for your help.
    Seafoam has been around for quite awhile. You can add it to either your fuel or crankcase. I have been purchasing it at NAPA but I'm sure there are other dealers that carry it too. Seafoam is a extremely high detergent solvent that can get rid of carbon and other deposits. I've used it and Marvel Mystery Oil with good results. I haven't seen anyone use the direct method of Seafoam in the Tracker. This is where you would block the fuel line and use a small intake vacuum line to draw in about 1/2 can of Seafoam, not too fast or you'll get a vapor lock. Shut the engine off, unblock the fuel line and let it sit overnight. Start it up the next morning and performance drive it (really drive it hard). It will smoke like crazy. Here is a good example of the junk that will blow out after a seafoam treatment.

link title

I usually just put a whole can in the tank of my Tracker and run the tank until it's very low before filling.
  • mtj67mtj67 Member Posts: 15
    Anyone know where I can get a Gray soft top for my Tracker? All I see is Black, White, and Tan.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    there is NO grey tops. all the aftermarket along with the oem markers only make the colors you stated. probably cause their isnt much of a market for a grey top with the colors of trackers that are out there

chris
  • chrissiezchrissiez Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying a 2003 Chevy Tracker that I found and wondered if any of you who have one are happy with yours. Have you ever had trouble with the soft top leaking? Is it easy to keep the interior warm in the winter? Any comments would be really helpful!
  • metalmykemetalmyke Member Posts: 14
    In my experience, (I live in north central North Dakota), winter heating has NOT been a problem. In fact, -30F it gets warm quickly in my 91 tracker. Some two sided velcro strips can take care of any air leaks. However, if you are driving into a good 30+ mph wind the doors can come off the seals (thats what you get when you buy a tin can vehicle). That being said, I love this vehicle, have owned it since 1996 and other than an engine computer replace and main seal replace (which cost me a total of less than $100 parts total)it has been trouble free. I have beat on this vehicle and have done a lot of off roading. I have never had any problem with water leaking through the top.
  • swbrownswbrown Member Posts: 1
    my 2002 Chevy Tracker (Suzuki Vitera) had a transmission problem (5 speed Manual) at about 65K, it was getting noisy and whining. I had purchased the extended waranty and the dealer put in a new trany, Now about a year 1/2 later I am having the same trouble again at about the same miles. It is also jumping out of 4th after the clutch is released. Is there a known problem with these transmissions? And if so what recourse do I have? Or would I be better off having it rebuilt with heaver/better gears? What would be a fair price for a rebuild?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to try Suzuki Vitara Owners: Problems & Solutions.

tidester, host
  • togogirltogogirl Member Posts: 1
    :D don't know if any one has had this problem but my Dome light should work on the midle position of the switch but dosen't seem to any one know how to slove this problem Pretty dark in there when I get home at midnight thanks for all the help in advance togogirl
  • poorcruzerpoorcruzer Member Posts: 141
    Please mention your year and model, as it helps us respond to your request more accurately. I have had this problem with my Tercel and it turned out to be the switch on which the door closes on. The switch ( rubber coated and easily depressed, usually around the lock latch on the body of the truck ) was stuck in the closed position, interupting the electrical circuit. Your rig will have such a switch somewhere, it should be easy to replace.
  • rvgondarvgonda Member Posts: 12
    Did the automatics in the tracker 2dr 4WD convertibles for the years 2002-2003 have overdrive as a standard feature?

I am searching to buy a tracker. I see many with 4-spd automatics listed but few of them mention overdrive.
    the 4 speed automatic is overdrive.other than that they came with 3 speeds. the 4th speed is a button on the shifter knob. I keep mine pressed in all the time for the best MPG.

chris
  • okrafeetokrafeet Member Posts: 14
    Does it matter how much gas you have in the Tracker before you put the Seafoam in? Thanks...and I hear it's fantastic.
    If you are not going to direct inject it then the less gas you have in the tank, the more concentrated it will be. I usually add the entire can into about a half tank and don't fill up until you get really low. You could put a whole can with a 1/4 tank. It might smoke a little but nothing like directly sucking it out of the can. Warning, if you are going to directly inject it by a vacuum line, both the fuel line and the return line must be blocked and the vacuum line that you use must be a small one, otherwise if you suck it in too quickly vapor lock will occur and cause engine damage.
    Thanks Chris,

Today I bought a 2003 ZR2 4x4 3dr with 6500 miles. Except for the undercarriage, the rest of it looks showroom new.

The undercarriage indicates the vehicle has been driven in either crusty salty snow and/or wet muddy brackish meadows (since it comes from a coastal area). So,I guess I will be paying yearly attention to rust prevention/control since I live in a heavily road-salted area in Vermont with cars frequently painted almost completely white with salt on many winter days.

However, the $11,800 I paid is about half of what a roughly equivalent new vehicle would start at - base price -
    so the undercarriage deterioration I can live with.

Other than the potential rust problem this vehicle looks new and drives perfectly.

Question: does anyone know what the little switch on the driver side of the gear shift which says A/T is for?

Ray
    Sweet buy! Up in Canada we have KROWN rustproofing which is a creeping wax based spray. It is the bees knees when it comes to rustproofing. If you have an equivalent product down there, get it done, and protect your wise investment.

The switch in the center console beside the shifter labeled A/T with a P and N on it, is the transmission progamming switch. In the N or normal position, the tranny shifts at lower RPM. In the P for power position the tranny will shift at higher RPM. I will let you decide which uses less gas. :)
    I've put the SeaFoam in my gas tank twice now in the last 1 or 2 months. The engine pings for like the first day, and then the ping stops after that. Otherwise, I havn't noticed any difference whatsoever lol. I was hoping that maybe it would clean out some carbon and eliminate my Scan Code: P0400-EGR Flow. Nah, no difference at all.
  • trackerdontrackerdon Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 Tracker and everything was ok until Apr '06. I returned from a small trip turned off the engine for a little bit and then I needed to run to the store and the Tracker would not start. Next morning I got in an the Tracker started up just fine. Now the frequency of the Tracker not starting after driving for 30 min.+, turning the engine off, then having to wait at least 15 min. before I can start the engine again, is getting to be a real pain! I have replaced the Spark Plugs, Fuel Filter, PCV and still had the problem. Took it to my Dealership, who had the Tracker all day and nothing was found in the computer and I was charged for that information $. Took it to my garage, nothing was in the computer and suggested to check the exhaust pressure. Took it to a Muffler Shop ... I had to change out both catylitic converters because the inside parts had melted and were partially blocking the exhaust $$$. Drove it home and the SES light came on for the first time.

Code 420; usual active at the rear oxygen sensor. Replaced Rear Oxygen sensor (it was burned up,too) and still it didn't fix the problem $$. Replace the Fuel Pump next $$. Thought it might be the Cam Positioning Sensor but at my garage, his computer showed that it was working. Next came the Coolant Temp. Sensor for the fuel injector $$. My garage then suggested that I take it back to my Dealership and have the computer itself checked out. I did and the Dealership said the computer was fine and no codes were found and told me that the problem was that the Fuel Pump needed to be a official AC Delco part for it to work right...and get this, NO CHARGE for this service. Next my garage tried changing out the Main Relay with the Tail Relay and still the problem continues. And the SES light keeps coming on regularly now with the same code--Code 420.

I found this website and looked through it and found that the Fuel Pressure Regulator might be the problem but no fuel found in the vacuum hose side and when I expierenced the problem of the engine not starting again, I took the vacuum hose off the regulator and still the engine didn't start. That was a couple tests to see if the regulator was working properly. So thats where I am now. I do have an appointment with a Suzuki Service Department next but that will cost $$$$. I would appreciate any help ....
  • rep5858rep5858 Member Posts: 45
    Thinking of buying a 96 tracker. Who made it? It has geo-chevy emblem and suzuki name on it lol. Is it reliable? It has 152,000 on it. Too much? it is a 4 door w/ 2WD. Test drove it seems pretty solid. They want $4,000.
    thanks
    Rick
    $4000 seems really high for a 10 year old 2wd tracker! my 1999 4x4 2-door 2.0litre engine tracker with 85,000 miles isnt worth that! go to www.kbb.com or www.nada.com and see what it is really worth.

chris
  • ronyakerronyaker Member Posts: 1
    i may have the same thing going on with my '99. mine didn't die in the road, but when i got off work i couldn't start it. the code reader gave a '0340' camshaft sensor code, but when i replaced the sensor (and the fitting it sits in) i still can't get it to start. did you get yours resolved, and if so, how?
  • chasandjaygchasandjayg Member Posts: 1
    Check engine light came on and went off 2x after I put a fuel treatment in it, Now its staying on any suggestions. Have an extended warrenty gonna rake it in in 2 weeks. Also anyone with the 4whl drive have any weired knocking noises when they let go of the gas? When I release the gas all the way I hear a knock and can feel a jerk. It does not do this in 4whl drive?
    That's way too much for a 10 year old 2WD. I'd offer them about $2000.
  • yourhighnessyourhighness Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone! I'm new to this tracker forum becuase I have been stuck onmy new HHR, AND my tracker has been in the shop...In 1994 I bought a 1993 Tracker for 12K, it was black and hot pink and I was 17 so it fit! After paying it off, having 2 kids, I still loved this car. One day my husband was going to drive it to work, and when he walked around the car, someone had hit my Tracker and drive off! Smashed in my door to where I could not even open it, my heart sank! After having my Tracker for 10 years, everything original, never been in the shop only for oil changes, I had no clue what was going to do. One of my so called "friends" own a body shop, so I took it to him told him to take his time just fix my car!!! Well he started, got trashed ended up in jail, and my tracker was about to get taken by his landlord for rent...so I went and stole my tracker back and all it parts. Needless to say in my driveway for some time, then my ex father in law asked if he fixed it could he drive it, well HELL YEAH! He took it back to Colorado, and this weekend he gave it back to me with a new paint job, all the body work done, a sound system out of this world, some kinda chip on the engine, rims and tires (fat)...If you could have seen my eyes!!! I drove it all day on Sunday, and everyone who came over kept saying that I got my baby back.. and it really feels that way! After all this drama with my Tracker I needed a new ride so I went right back to CHEVY!!! Exact same dealer that I bought my Tracker from, and bought my HHR, so now I proudly own 2 chevys!! Oh and now Hubby went out and bought a 2002 Impala....so there are 3 Chevy's in my driveway. Anyways I have now had my Tracker for 12 years, and there is no way that I would ever give it up! My 11 daughter wants it when she is old enough to drive. So now Hubby's is having pink ghost flames airbrushed on the hood, new top with tinited windows, and I want to re-do the inside so that is back to pink and black, the father in law put black seat covers over my pink seats damn him, lol! Oh and he used this stuff that made all the plastic look new as well. So to answer everyones questions, yes it has enough room for your kids, yes it is a very reliable vechile, I had NOT one problem with my tracker....as long as you take care of it...not even a crack in my dashboard (I live in FL)..I have over 130K miles on it...it'a a 1993 had it since '94, it's a convertible, and it is so much fun! Hope everyone loves their Tracker the way I love mine! :shades:
  • ezimmermanezimmerman Member Posts: 4
    Question for you all. I bought a 99 4x4, 2dr convertible and I've had all sorts of problems. The guy that owned it ran it into the ground, and towed way too much with it. I've fixed almost everything (including a new manual tranny from a friend), but now it has this bucking/hesitation every so often. Could this be the fuel filter? I just put on a completely new exhaust and replaced BOTH catalytic converters (I hate CA emissions!). Any ideas? Sometimes it runs like a V6, other times it seems to be choking. I've also bought plugs and will change those, and I just replace my air filter with a K&N.

Regards,
    Erich
    Is your exhaust have black soot in it? If so, you could have a misfire with unburnt fuel. Check your spark plug wires, coils, distributor cap and rotor for wear. A new fuel filter certainly wouldn't hurt. Also clean out your throttle body when you change your air filter. Previous posts I'am sure have discussed this procedure. :)
    99 tracker doesnt have sprakplugs wires nor distributor cap nor rotor. it has coil packs on each sparkplug. and you better pray that is not the problem as chevy wants $250 EACH for them (4) you can get them from a local autpparts store for $125 each... make sure your air filter is good and sparkplugs are good other than that there isnt much you can do, outside of troubleshooting things i mentioned.

chris
  • tracker93tracker93 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 93 tracker that was given to us after sitting for two years waiting on new front bearings. Previous owner did not want to spend the money. After installing new front bearings, it was hard to start but once we got it started it has ran fine up until a couple of weeks ago. Now it starts fine the first time each day and then you have to hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank on it for a few seconds before it will start and then it seems like it is possibly flooded as it takes a couple of seconds befor it will come up to rpms. It has a new fuel pump. It was suggested that it may be fuel pressure regulator. Any suggestions? This is my wifes little car and when it is not running she is not happy, and you know that if the wifes not happy NO ONE is happy! Thanks for all your help!
    It could be the fuel pressure regulator but it since it starts fine when it's cold but acts likes it's flooded when it's warmed up I would suspect the sensor that regulates air/fuel mixture is malfunctioning. Also, have you replaced the fuel filter? But your problem wouldn't indicate a partially plugged fuel filter, but it wouldn't hurt.
  • gistagirlgistagirl Member Posts: 1
    Hi..I have had so many opinions on how to fix my license plate lights. I have my rear inside door panel off and have almost ruined my car trying to get to the bulbs so that I can change them...they look like maybe you can unscrew the plastic dome covering the bulbs but I don't want to break any more parts..the chevy dealership said they could replace the bulbs for $50.00! That's just for labor..I paid almost $3.00 for the bulbs from Auto Zone..Chevy did not say what they would charge for their bulbs..Sounds like you really know what you are doing..I have checked the wiring inside the panel and everything seems fine..have not had any work done on it to warrant sabotage..hmmm.
    How did you change the bulb?
    Thank you for any information..
    Sharon
    Has anyone ever had trouble with the steering column in the Tracker? (2000). When I turn, it feels like it's sticking, just a little though. In facked, it's so subtle, it might just be my imagination lol.
    just wondering. did you check your TIRE pressure and power steering fluid?

chris
  • woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    I have a '01 and had a steering column problem that I posted here months ago. If your problem is the same, it is serious and I would recommend fixing it right away! My symptoms: at slow speed or stopped with engine running, turning the steering wheel all the way right or left would feel like it would go between power and manual steering, in other words slight resistence then normal, rather quickly back and forth. Hard to detect at high speed. It turns out to be the intermediate steering shaft with two small u-joints integral to it. The lower u-joint was failing and causing the problem. You can't replace or service the u-joint itself. I bought the shaft from Chevy at a discounted (hah!) price of $330 and had my front end mechanic install it for $60 (I believe). The reason this problem is potentially serious is that the worn u-joint could sieze giving you no steering movement, which is what happened to another post a while ago. It's tough to diagnose. My mechanic had to take the shaft out to confirm it to be the culprit and at the price you want to make sure it is the problem. Good luck and don't hesitate and I hope it is something much more simple and less expensive! Try this site for prices: http://gmpartsdirect.com/
    Thanks for the valuable info :)
  • tracker93tracker93 Member Posts: 2
    thanx for all your help we will do that right away
  • jackmarksjackmarks Member Posts: 5
    i am replacing wheel studs on the front rotors. where do you find the wrench to take off the spindle nut?
    In my toolbox? :P the manual lists the socket as a SST( special service tool) J37763. A local auto parts store maybe able to help you with an equivalent tool. The tool looks like a circle with four round nibs sticking out. I have no doubt I will find out next spring. Arkainzeye probably knows where you can get one. The manual says to use a tie rod puller to get the wheel studs out. It also says you may need a slide hammer with a J37781 rear axle shaft and drum remover if the hub is stubborn. When reinstalled tighten the nut with J37763 to 159ftlbs of torque. Got to love SSN's (Special Stupid Nuts). :confuse:
  • an80smetalgirlan80smetalgirl Member Posts: 2
    i have been having a similar problem with my 2000 tracker. it has been going on since may. first when i drove long distances it would give trouble starting. then the distance became shorter and shorter (down to 1 1/2 miles) before i have to let the car cool down and restart it. then in july she stated stalling out in drive-tru lanes and rush hour traffic. now after about 20 min of drive time she starts bucking and hesitating and then dies. after a 15 min cool down she restarts. the computer spits out no codes at all, so no knows where to start. the last this happened i was albe to coast into an auto shop. they discovered she is not getting any spark when she is heated up. so at least we have narrowed it down. i have been the fuel route already. the O2 sensor was replaced about a year ago and the crank sensor was done 6 weeks ago. i have been to 3 auto shops. i hate having to plan my day around my car. any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

andrea
    thanks for the infor. problem is i have not found the SST J37763. i bought a kit from OTC. it has every spindle socket for different ones but the one i need.

need help finding where to get the "SST J37781"

again, thanks in advance for the infor.
  • captjcaptj Member Posts: 8
    www.suzukipitstop.com shows this socket in their catalogue as a Service Tool called a "WHEEL BEARING TIGHTENING TOOL" under part number 09951-16050 for $78.15 plus whatever to get it to you. Would love to know if you find an aftermarket source.
    Thanks a lot for the new source of info. :)
  • trackerdontrackerdon Member Posts: 4
    I have just got my Tracker back from the Suzuki Service Dept.(my Chevy Dealer didn't have a clue) that told me the fuel injection system had a sludge coating of carbon build-up. It seems that the Suzuki recommends that a complete de-carbonization is needed every 30,000 miles. My Tracker had 86,000 miles, needless to say it was overdue. Also, if you have any work done on the exhaust system, Suzuki says to make sure the parts meet the factory specs because everything is program into the Computer to run in a certain way. If you go back a couple of pages, you can see my help request thats similar to yours. Hope this helps.
    have one on order now! thanks. now i need a torque wrench...
  • an80smetalgirlan80smetalgirl Member Posts: 2
    i wish that was the problem, but i don't see how a carbon build up is stopping the engine from getting spark. i forgot to add in my previos post that i have the 1.6 liter manuel transmission with a little over 76,000 miles. any other ideas? please help. planning my day around the car is getting more and more annoying. i am desparte here. the worst is when i break down in the south florida heat.

thanks again for any help,
    andrea
    Lads and Lassies,

My 2003 Tracker 4x4 2L auto 2dr power "switch" isn't working. When engaged in the "power" position, the dash "power light" lights but I can detect no shift to higher rpms of the transmission gears - either on the flats or on the hills.

Any insights would be appreciated!

Ray
    To clarify the previous post, I am referring to the higher rpms at which the gears shift.

Ray
    What I understand from my 03 manual is that if you were to really put your foot in to it, the transmission would hold the gear to redline or a higher rpm before shifting. If you drive normally the tranny will shift normally. That is my understanding. I maybe wrong.
    what you said about the power switch is exactly how mine works in my 1999 2.0l 2-dr..
    Thanks poorcruzer and arkainzeye,

I'll test it out and re-read my manual and report back.
    If what you say is true it sounds like it is for REALLY STEEP long hills or for towing, although the my manual says to take it out of OD for towing (rather that use the power switch?). This should be interesting!

Ray