Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Why are so many inferior vehicles considered status symbols?

bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
edited March 2014 in Land Rover
I don't get the trend of people buying inferior, yet more expensive vehicles to flaunt their status. Why buy a Land Rover given their poor reliability record? Why are poeple willing to spend so much money on Beemers, Benz's, and Jags when they could have just as nice of a vehicle in an Acura or a Lexus AND have the reliability too? Why do people buy Hummers when there are so many other vehicles that are better at everything and cost half as much? And I know this isn't a motorcycle forum, but why are so many people willing to put their name on a waiting list to buy a Harley when everyone on the planet knows Japanese bikes do everything twice as well for half the price? Do people actually have so much money they're willing to blow it on senseless purchases?

Comments

• carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    They don't tend to be THAT bad. And they have other redeeming qualities, that (apparently) make up for it.

Otherwise, we'd all be driving a Camry. Whole lotta fun that'd be, right?

*edit*
    I should add that I'd buy an Alfa Romeo if they were available here (a 147gta) and happily spend a lot of time waiting for it at the shop. It's that cool.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,137
    Yeah I don't know about "inferior"...they might have more problems per 100 vehicles etc, but the roads aren't littered with broken down S class and 7ers.

And when they are good, they make up for their shortcomings. Resale value is usually respectable too, especially on Mercedes. If they were so awful, they'd depreciate like Jags.

Styling goes a long way too. And then there's the history aspect.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Anyone who uses a car as a status symbol has a personality flaw anyway.

"Be who you are, regardless of your car."
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    ...Beemer or a Benz have that an Acura or a Lexus doesn't?
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,679
    heritage.
    Hmm, a Lexus or an Acura are status symbols to me (well, Lexus more so). I think I'm not looking at this conversation the way you are.

As for Andre's response, I'm not sure very many BMW/Benz owners could tell you anything about those companies' histories. But I agree that a company's heritage has a profound effect on what we think of their products. I root for Honda because of its history even though I might never own one, and I'd get a Miata over a Solstice for the same reason.

Around here, BMWs are the cars to get if you're a young snob. Most of the buyers don't know and don't care that BMWs have some advantages (balance, feel) or disadvantages (room, price). Those advantages do have a purpose - to give the 3-series a "best car in its class" title from the magazines - but hardly anyone cares just what those advantages are. Is that really "heritage"?

I think it's just a car's reputation in the last couple of decades that matters to people. When I was little, the name "Mercedes Benz" had a mythical sound to it. That's status. Cadillac, for all its heritage, didn't have that mystique at the time I was growing up - so I didn't grow up caring about them.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    A lot of it is, for lack of better term, "personal expression".

Perhaps more than any other single thing we own, a vehicle signals a lot of information about who we are and/or how we want to be seen. Like it or not, it's true.

When I was looking at pony cars, I considered the Camaro. Amazing bang-for-the-buck performance, decent styling and cool heritage (a biggie for me, actually). But in the end, I couldn't do it...I just didn't want to be a "Camaro Guy".

Also, in terms of cars being status symbols, a lot of it is a hold-over from the days when they WERE status symbols. That is, in times not too long ago, you had to be rich to dive a Jaguar or whatever. Leasing didn't really exist and credit was much harder to come by.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    More precision in how they drive...they drive "sharper". I just did a comparo between a 7 series BMW and a Lexus 430....both 2005 models and I could tell the difference immediately.

Will the BMW be as reliable as the Lexus? Probably not.

Would I buy either? No, too big.

But I'd by a 3 series Bimmer over a 300 series Lexus any day, because they drive sharper. I like to drive, I need "feedback"...even some noise, engine roar, that kind of thing.

The Lexus was wonderful and boring at the same time.

Oh, and IMO BMWs and Benz are better styled than Lexi, which are certainly inoffensive but not very interesting to look at.

Lexus for value, Lexus for reliability, BMW for real fun, driving pleasure and for more prestige.

As for "inferiority", both Lexus and BMW and Benz have superior and inferior qualities IMO.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    The reason why a percentage of the buying public buys "status" cars such as Land Rovers, Hummers, Mercedes-Benzes, BMWs, and Jaguars is because of their prestige and respect. You can walk into a boardroom in Asia and say "I own a Mercedes" and most people would know what you mean. Try saying "I own an Infiniti" to the same person, and they'd say "huh? Infiniti? What's that?" A Mercedes, Jag, Land Rover, or BMW has world wide respect that a Lexus, Acura, or Infiniti doesn't have.

Kinda like when I bought my I35 and my nephew (who was studying in the US) asked what new car I bought, and I responded with "an Infiniti" He asked what it was. I then had to explain that Infiniti was Nissan's luxury division that wasn't available outside of North America. If I had bought a Mercedes (or BMW) I wouldn't have had to explain. I could point to the 3 pointed star on the hood, and I'd be done.

People buy different cars for different reasons. My own son wants a Saab because he loves them and to him, there's nothing better than owning a "genuine" Saab. ( he has his eyes one of those 2000-2003 9-3 Convertibles)
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,388
    ..Beemer or a Benz have that an Acura or a Lexus doesn't?

If you haven't driven one a sure can't explain it you, it's like jazz.

BTW, a Beemer is a motorcycle, a Bimmer is an automobile. :)

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,137
    Status cars are no different than buying a $10K watch or a big cookie cutter McMansion.

And Lexus and Acura are about status too, even though I have seen owners loudly deny it.

I don't know why I like MB so much...but I like the sedans every bit as much as the flashy coupes and droptops. There's usually something just so right about their styling, inside and out. Good engines for the most part, too. I bought my fintail because I thought it was cool and I could afford it as a teenager...I bought the 126 because of its condition and price, and the C43 for similar reasons, plus performance. I just like the cars, and how they look and feel on the road.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I don't get the trend of people buying inferior, yet more expensive vehicles to flaunt their status. Why buy a Land Rover given their poor reliability record? Why are poeple willing to spend so much money on Beemers, Benz's, and Jags when they could have just as nice of a vehicle in an Acura or a Lexus AND have the reliability too?

Simply because reliability isn't everything there is to a car and a Lexus or and especially an Acura aren't "just as nice of a vehicle" to them by a long shot. Lexuses have proven to be more reliable than any other car out there, yet some people won't go near them, and Acura has nothing beyond the TL/RL.

Others have touched on styling and performance, but another problem with brands like Acura, Lexus and Infiniti is that they don't offer the choice of BMW or Mercedes. This is also what holds Audi back too IMO. Both Audi and Lexus seem to be set to address this, but I don't see where Acura is going to expand unless they go RWD. Infiniti I'm not sure about, but they do have the next GTR coming, but that still won't put them on a equal footing with BMW like they want when you compare brand to brand.

What does a LS430 customer buy after he has had 2 or 3 LS models? There is nothing else for him to do but buy the same car over and over. Some people buy the same model over again every 3-4 years whether or not the bodystyle has changed or not, that would be hugely boring to me. With BMW or Mercedes in particular you can always go higher and higher and/or switch to a Coupe, Roadster or something from their M/AMG offerings. The Japanese don't offer the choice or style or status of the Europeans. That is why people continue to buy Land Rovers, BMWs and Mercedes.

Acura and Infiniti have made some huge gains in the entry-level lux market but past the 50K or so they mean nothing, only Lexus has a foothold with buyers looking to spend some big money. A BMW Z8 or Mercedes SL65 or SLR says status. A V10 and 7-speeds in a sedan says status and Japan just doesn't have anything remotely similar to compete with beyond the everyday models and even then they can't match the Europeans for choice.

Some people look at a car as an emotional choice and it will never matter what a boring publication like CR says. Some people like cars in general and aren't bound by one particular factor about a car whether it be reliability, styling or performance.

People buy European cars for the nuances they provide, something that the Japanese can't seem to duplicate. Sure they can duplicate the sheer performance numbers (Infiniti G35/M45 and new Lexus IS350 comes to mind), but the "feel" and experience isn't there - to a person that "gets" it and/or cares about such things. If not then you'll never understand why people buy these car reliability is the only thing you're looking at and calling the rest inferior.

Land Rover in particular says the hell with the Consumer Reports crowd on heritage alone and their buyers are, according to market data, are some of the youngest professional folks or any luxury brand. This group should know better, but they don't seem to and/or care what the reliability is.

Lastly, despite popular belief here these "inferior" brands as you call them aren't littering the roads with broken down cars, hoods up and smoking like some here would lead you to think. You have to also remember that MB, BMW, Land Rover all got their "status" based on some superior trait at some point in their history. Mercedes, VW, Audi, Land Rover all have dropped the ball on reliability in recent times, but their other positive aspects are still there.

M
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Beemer or a Benz have that an Acura or a Lexus doesn't?

More choice, better styling (on average), mass appeal via years of glorious heritage to name some.

M
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    You must be a bit younger than me. When I was growing up, Cadillac had a lot of brand equity, prestige, and mystique. I've been in love with the brand since I was very young. I recall asking Santa Claus for one as a kid.

Mercedes-Benz was around but uncommon. There was a doctor and wife couple who had his and her twin Benzes. The only BMW I recall belonged to a kooky college professor. Anybody who was anybody in my neighborhood had Cadillacs, Lincolns, and Imperials. The ordinary people had their Chevrolets, Fords, and Plymouths. One guy who owned a travel agency bought a new Chrysler New Yorker or Imperial every year. It wasn't until well into the 1980s Mercedes-Benz and BMW came into their own. A friend of my best friend's brother bought a new BMW 5-Series in 1989. It was a nice car, but it seemed he forever was having problems with it. I looked at a new Mercedes 560SEL in 1989. The W126 S-Class was Mercedes pinnacle and I'm sure I would still have that car today, but the price was an astronomical $73,400. I instead bought a new Cadillac Brougham that I still own.
  • prosaprosa Member Posts: 280
    I think it's just a car's reputation in the last couple of decades that matters to people. When I was little, the name "Mercedes Benz" had a mythical sound to it.

Remember what Janis Joplin sang more than 35 years ago: "Oh Lord, won't you buy me, a Mercedes Benz" :)
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    I have always percieved the German brands as status symbols, even moreso than the japanese brands. Especially with Mercedes, they always seem to be on the forefront of new technologies. Even today, Benz still comes up with new technologies for safety, security and solidity that others seem to be catching up on a few years later.

Example: I have here in my office an article for nano-particle clearcoat that is on the new body panels of Benz cars. Makes the paint stronger and more resistant to swirl marks. That's some pretty cool stuff IMO! Same goes for the active safety that is on the new S-class that closes all the glass in the car if an impact or rollover is immenent.

Now obviously, this new tech has lowered the reliability (more gadgets to break) but even still, it's the fascination of this new tech that draws people in. Then its the Lexus, Infiniti, Acura brands later on that end up incorporating this newly discovered tech in their vehicles after the "bugs" have been worked out. At that point, the Germans are adding some new whiz bang gotta have gadget that makes them even MORE desirable. A viscious cycle that will probably go around forever until the Japanese brands start incorporating their OWN new whiz bang gadgetry. We are starting to see that, but I think it'll be a while before they outdo the clever and creative Germans...

I ASPIRE to own German, but I prefer to BUY practical japanese, even if it plays second fiddle. :)
    ...no one has addressed the Harley thing. I thought that would generate a lot of responses as many "car" people are also "motorcycle" people.
    I think the Harley thing is a combination of heritage and image.

Harley is the only surviving American motorcycle brand, and it definitely has a long history. I think that speaks to people, esp. with a purchase as utterly impractical as a motorcycle. In the USA, very few people buy bikes for commuting anymore. Once you're free of practical concerns, more nebulous things like heritage, style and feel take center stage in a buying decision.

But a lot of it is also the image thing. Every suburban Brando thinks a Harley makes him look dangerous and cool. And at one point, they did, if only because of their rarity. But now, they're so common the effect is kinda lost...sorta like the whole tough-guy offroader SUV thing. So in a way, the Harley image is a victim of its own success.

I'm sure Harley makes more money from its clothing and accessories than it does on its motorcycle sales...
  • dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,165
    Europeans basically set trends in styling, performance, engineering and content. Lexus, Acura and Infiniti, as nice as they are, basically follow them. They always have that look of a German of a previous generation (especially Lexus).

One small example (not really a proof of anything, sample rather) that hit me last month during local auto show. Auto transmission shifter shape in "entry luxury" lines. MB, BMW and now also Audi have auto shifters shaped similar to manual shifters and gates are enclosed in a leather pouch. Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura have shifters in chrome gates. Both of them look great, but the latter look so 90s.

I do think BMW, Benz, Audi and Jags are overpriced. However, they are probably not as overpriced as they appear at first glance. Trends cost and trendy people are willing to pay for it more than it may be worth from a bookkeeper standpoint. I'm not one of those people for reason I can't afford it :cry:

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• martianmartian Member Posts: 220
    I think the germans have been putting over a con job for a long time! If you look at the AUDI boards, those cars seem to be nightmares of complexity! Even the simplest one (A4) seems to have all kinds of electrical and transmission problems-and they are extremely expensive to fix. And the AUDI owners seem unanimopus in condemnation of their dealers-very few have any good to say about AOA!
    Maybe buyers of prestige cars are "masochists"? Do they enjoy sitting in waiting rooms? of course, I understand M-B and BMW have very nice waiting rooms, with free coffee!
    The thing with Audi is the moment you get on a slippery road with snow/ice/heavy rain/mud and a few curves, you are just about to forgive anything (unless you previously owned a Subaru :P ). Similar sensation with getting a Bimmer to a dry backroad.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Well then it's a con job that all American car manufacturers should learn to pull off. Harley did, I don't see why some US brands can't fool some of the people some of the time.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,388
    While I don't doubt some folks have had poor experiences w Audis, mine was fantastic. The '98 Audi A4 Avant that I took to 120K miles was very well-built and reliable, only off road once in 5 years due to non-routine service.

That combined w the dynamic qualities of the A4 makes it probably the best car I've ever had (including a couple of Japanese origin).

The Jury is still out on my BMW 528iA, it's a great car but still a puppy, it only has 77,000 on. ;)

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    Who you are - is where you live and what you drive...
  • jprybajpryba Member Posts: 201
    As a recent Mercedes-Benz print piece said, "Nobody ever poses with their toaster." (For those who don't remember seeing the ad, it had a bunch of pictures of people with their MB vehicles.)
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    is like asking why do some people buy $50 coffee makers from a dept. store, when you can buy one at Walmart for $10-$20. Or why spend $500 for a Brooks Bros. suit when you can buy a nice, quality suit at the local bargain store for $200.
    It's the same reasons, people choose different autos. Each individual applies the same logic/desires/needs to their examination of the purchase of any item.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Why are poeple willing to spend so much money on Beemers, Benz's, and Jags when they could have just as nice of a vehicle in an Acura or a Lexus AND have the reliability too?

The question then becomes why buy an Acura or a lexus when you can get a nice car with just as good a reliability rating in a lesser priced brand name?

Why buy an Acura when you can get a Honda for less (lets face it Acuras are overpriced Hondas)?

It all comes down to image which some cars have and some don't. To be honest many people I know have a much higher opinion on MB than on Lexus.

But when push comes to shove my 5 year old Hyundai is much better than any new Lexus, Acura, BMW, JAG, MB or any other. You see it runs trouble free and its paid for.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

That's status. Cadillac, for all its heritage, didn't have that mystique at the time I was growing up -

Don't know where or when you grew up but for me they certainly had that mystique. I have never heard something called "the Mercedes Benz of..." or "the BMW of...." but when someone wanted to say something was the top of the line they said "it is the Cadillac of....", and still do.

Well to add to what has already been said, i am not sure that Japanese bike do everything twice as well. Granted they make much faster bikes but being a road rash waiting to happen is not what a Harley rider is. Plus since Hogs do keep their value (I have actually known people to buy one brand new and sell it a year or two later for more than what they bought it for) they make a better value.

I don't think it's entire fair to say that. While there may be some shared parts, IS, GS and LS have no Toyota brand "siblings", same with G35, M35/45, and Q45, or RL and TSX. Sevearal others are "fluffed up" versions of their lesser counterparts, esp. ES350, I35, QX45. Some are sharing large pieces of technology, but are still significantly different (RSX, TL, MDX, RX330, FX35/45) inside and out.

As much as I think those brands have some distance to their German competition, charge of being "just overpiced versions of their non-premium brands" is outdated. It might have been true ten years ago, but not today.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

...are lovingly restored and preserved while old Hondas, Yamahas, and Suzukis end up in the scrap heap. Indian motorcycles are even more treasured. I think Indian tried to make a go of it recently, but it didn't catch on. I recall Excelsior-Henderson, Polaris, and Bell tried to make a go if it in motorcycles in the 1990s. Whatever became of their efforts? Isn't there still another small U.S. motorcycle manufacturer?
    Being more than just a passive motorcycle enthusiast myself, I can attest first hand that Harleys are no comparison to any of the seemingly comparable Japanese bikes. Having been somewhat in the market to buy a big V-twin cruiser for the last couple of years, I've had the oppotunity to test ride several bikes, including some of the new Harleys. I've ridden a Road King, a Softtail, and a couple of the other Harley models. I've also ridden the Honda 1800 VTX, Yamaha Road Warrior, and the Kawasaki 2000 Vulcan. There simply is no comparison between these Japanese bikes and the Harleys I've ridden. They all were smoother, more comfortable, more powerful, and they handled better. They were all much less expensive too. I honestly don't know how anyone could ride one of these bikes and then buy a Harley. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    Polaris is still making the Victory line of bikes. And I think Indian is still out there. If you want a Chevy V-8 you have Boss Hoss. Other than that I don't know.

A big reason Japanese bikes end up in a scrap heap is because their bikes evolve so much over the years through technology, they eventually stop making replacement parts for them because people want the newer bikes. Harleys literally haven't changed much over the decades and parts for these bikes are easier to get.
    Interesting point.

"Harley-Davidson: Bringing you the motorcycle of the 1970s...TODAY!"

;)
    ...it doesn't matter how superior a product may be whether it's a car or motorcycle. I'm sure a 1970s Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, or Suzuki was a better-built bike, but I have yet to see one preserved or even being restored. How many 1960s or 1970s Japanese cars are restored or preserved compared to domestic makes? There's a certain intangible quality that makes a Mercedes, Harley, or old muscle car more desirable than a Lexus, Yamaha, or Camry.
    ....I don't get.
    Yep. Harley = yesterday's technology at tomorrow's price!
    I think it's nostalgia. Nostalgia for an earlier America that many people remember now with very rose-colored hindsight. Also nostalgia for an America where we built great "tangible" machines and objects.

It's hard to get excited about a computer application or a management process, no matter how important they are to our economy...they're just not as viscerally appealing, esp. not a generation that remembers the "old days" of the mid-20th century. That's the way a successful economy develops, but there's never any promise that we're going to like the shape it takes...
    ....remembering the good ol' days of Harleys leaking oil while sitting on the showroom floor, and parts falling off while riding down the road?
    ...and to bring this back to cars before the mods get on us, part of the reason I like my 2002 Mustang GT is that it really seems a modernized version of a 1960s pony car.

And I don't just mean that it has retro-inspired styling cues, or that it's got the pony car layout...but also that it has an ancient chassis, a floaty rear end, mediocre by modern standards handling, truck-like shifting and a whole host of other unintentional retro features (along with a build quality of "classic" UAW variety...).

At first, these things annoyed me. But to be perfectly honest, they now seem to kinda add to the charm of the car.

So yeah, I can see why some people like Harleys because of their antiquated quality. I still think for most people, it's all about the image, but I'm willing to concede that there are probably those (like me and my Mustang) who know full well of their bikes' flaws, but actually like the bikes MORE for them...
    ...That Mr_Shiftright once made the point that some people like cars that *need* them...whether in keeping them on the road figuratively (maintenance) or literally (piloting an old Porsche 911 at speed), there's something to being part of the experience as more than ballast.

A lot of modern vehicles give the distinct impression that they'd be happy to drive themselves if you'd just let them...
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Well, i don't drive a BMW for status, and i test-drove acura and lexus and i think BMW builds a significantly better car(for me).

Tell me, do you eat a diet of rice and beans? It's cheap and healthy!
  • killerbunnykillerbunny Member Posts: 141
    ...it doesn't matter how superior a product may be whether it's a car or motorcycle. I'm sure a 1970s Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, or Suzuki was a better-built bike, but I have yet to see one preserved or even being restored. How many 1960s or 1970s Japanese cars are restored or preserved compared to domestic makes? There's a certain intangible quality that makes a Mercedes, Harley, or old muscle car more desirable than a Lexus, Yamaha, or Camry.

There is a simple explaination: it's in the U.S. and most restoration fanatic residing there fantasize American models. I bet you can find load of restored Toyotas in Japan.

Back to as why are so many inferior vehicles considered status symbols? These vehicles WERE once superior. Over the years, the quality went down while the pride and arrogance held up. That "intangible quality" is called "pride" as in "Pride and Prejudice."
    I know what you mean. BMW would do just fine even without their status because they're just... good. But most Americans claim to want reliable and comfortable cars, then they turn around and buy automatic BMWs.

My friend (328i owner - high school graduation gift) was telling me that he thought his brother's Altima was a better car. More space, softer ride. But not as cool, so he'll stick with his car. Rather depressing moment for me.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    jchan2 wrote: "People buy different cars for different reasons. My own son wants a Saab because he loves them and to him, there's nothing better than owning a "genuine" Saab. ( he has his eyes one of those 2000-2003 9-3 Convertibles)"

If he wants a "genuine" SAAB, I would have him look for a mint early '90s classic 900 convertible - the last of the classic 900-series out of the factory. It's a "real" SAAB, and has the high-pressure turbo. Nice ones can be had for very little money these days! Just make sure it's a 5-speed manual and not the Borg Warner automatic.
    Well the Harley comparison rather falls down...because while a BEnz or BMW might not be as reliable as a Lexus, it is up to date technically and extremely competent.

A Harley is neither up to date, well-made, or competent, so that's a product that is really ALL image.

But hey, I'm not knocking it if you buy what you like--as long as you know that you are buying an image and getting your jollies that way.

A BMW might nickel and dime you to death but you can drive the hell out of it and know you are in a driving machine.

I have nothing against practical cars, and I even own one, but already I want to make it LESS practical and LESS reliable and MORE fun.

I'm not well I know. :cry:
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Exactly...if you can only afford rice and beans, you shouldn't go out and buy steak once a week and starve the rest of the week. If you can afford a $40K car then great, but if you're working 12 hours a day like a dog JUST to afford a BMW and sacrificing time away from your family, then that seems wrong. Cars are no different than any other possession, live within your means. On the other hand, although I can easily afford a $40K car, I'd drive a $25K car because I'd rather use the other $15K for other things.
    Why not get a $15k car?

Don't want to look too modest, huh? =]
  • brightness04brightness04 Member Posts: 3,148
    Actually, considering how few S class run on the road, their failure rate is very high. I have seen half a dozen S class on the side of the road waiting for help in the last year alone. BTW, also the first broken-down R-class last week! how long has it been on the market anyhow?

The resale of MB is very poor in recent years. You may be onto a very good point: high lease residuals in manufacturer-sponsored leases. It does not really reflect resale value, but does dramaticly lower monthly payment. That partly answers the question from the original poster . . . people are actually not paying more for these inferior vehicles. A C clas can be leased for about the same monthly payment as a Camry V6 thanks to manufacturer lease support. That is a huge draw for people who have not previously had bad experience with MB first-hand. Even VW and Audi had a great period of sales to new-comers in the mid-to-late 90's before the consumers by and large know someone directly with bad experience with the brand.
This discussion has been closed.