Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    if its what i think it is, it fools the air temp sensor that it is colder than what it actually is. By doing this it increases the amount of fuel it sends to the engine. with this mod you will surely Loose Miles per Gallon.. when i had my 99 2-door tracker i would get 25mpg in the summer but when it got cold out and the fuel injection had to add more fuel for the colder air i would get 20-21mpg Max.. now if you do this mod you will decrease you mpg and in the winter you would shurely be in the teens as far as mpg. this mod is exactly what i have done with motorcycles, and it worked out nicely for added hp. but with a tracker who knows how much hp you will gain. it might only be as much as you can count on one hand.. and in that case it probably wont be worth it.. 20-30% is a very bold claim..

chris
  • bex1bex1 Member Posts: 6
    Chris, thanks for the tip. That's exactly what it is, although they don't explain it quite as well as you. I am always nervous doing anything 'creative' with my Tracker, as it's so dependable, (since 1991!) I'm afraid to screw it up. And thanks for getting back to me so soon. Auction on e-bay is over tonight and now I know not to bid on it.
    Jane
  • molly090406molly090406 Member Posts: 11
    For the fourth or fifth time now, my automatic hubs will not engage. I can shift it into 4wd, but the light doesn't display the 4x4 message, nor does it engage in 4wd.

What might be the problem. I got stuck too many times.

Help...anyone!!!!
    mine is silver! but it is a zr-2 with 43011 miles. just this out i got this tracker with power everything, tilt wheel, V-6 tinted windows and that under armor skids plates that cover the engine,transfer case & transmission. i got it for $8995. and then gave me $2000 for my 1999 2-door with 90000 miles. This 2004 looks brand new. its shocking how 2 tracker could feel completely different in every way...
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    That does sound like a good deal. I received $11,000 trade in on the 04 LT 4x4 with 30,000 miles. Wasn't too bad considering paid only $15,000 for it as a new vehicle 20 months earlier. Traded for a 04 Impala that was only $7900 but did have double the miles on it at 60,000 just wanted to reduce debt and increase fuel economy.
  • rmacrirmacri Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I to have a 2002 chevy tracker, it has had a rad. flush new thermostat, and barely has any heat. At -22 the windows frost up, the defrost fan blows like a bat out of hell, but no heat. noticed today the eng. temperature gauge sometimes drops, then climbs again, does the temp. sender have anything to do with the interior heat?

Frustrated
  • scotterscotter Member Posts: 14
    Molly,
    I know exactly waht the problem is, as it happened to my 2002 also. The front differential is engaged by compresser air, not vacuum as one would think. On the passenger side mounted behing the fornt bumper bracket is what ampounts to a small air pump with a pressure switch and blow off valve. When you shift into 4WD, the pump is energized and engages the front diff.

The pressure switch on the pump is the problem, as it probably cost about 5 cents to make, and it is prone to failure. The part is about $450 from GM, but I paid $185 form a Suzuki dealer. It is very easy to swap out yourself, 2 bolts that hold it on the bumper bracket, a plug for the electrical connection and two air lines. Just make sre you mark the air lines with a piece of masking tape the says uppper and lower. If you mix up the hoses when you put it back together, will cause a host of other problems.
    Thank you, Scotter, for the information. How did you discover the problem? Was it the dealer or a mechanic you know?

$185 for the switch? Perhaps I can get one at a junkyard...or even the whole assembly including the pump and hoses for much less.

When did this problem occur? Mine won't lock when it's cold, snowy or slushy?

Thanks..
    Molly,

I found the problem on my own, that the pressure regulator / switch wasnt holding the pressure to keep the front diff engaged. The pressure swith on the pump is integral to the pump and the entire unit must be replaced. I think you will be hard pressed to find one at a junkyard, and if you do, it may be no better then the one you currently have. Suzuki has made a modification to the pump in an effort to make it more reliable, so the new one you but shoudl hold up much better.

Let me know if you need any other info. E mail me - scotter58@aol.com.
    does anyone have a website where i can look up detailed info on this engine. i wanted to know if the valves need adjustment or are they like my 2.0litre tracker i had and never need adjustment. Im looking for maybe pictures of the engine, like a cut-away. any ideas?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've got a couple of links in the Online-Repair-Manuals guide. I've had good luck finding stuff with the Auto Repair Reference Center stuff but it may not be available in your area.
    thank you for the link. but they all wanted a user name and password along with a fee..
    That's why I go the public library route - I can get online access to the Auto Repair Reference Center with just my library card number calling in from a local IP. Other libraries may have it or Alldata free but will make you come in to a terminal to access it.
  • erscoloerscolo Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone had experience changing the rear bumper cover on their Tracker? I have a 2004, looks great, just some gouges on the top of the rear bumper cover. Is it something I can do or is it better left to a shop? Thanks very much for your help.

Roger.
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    Perhaps I can get one at a junkyard...

Try this site:

http://www.car-part.com/
    Thank you for the link.

What would one call this assembly...the pump and valves that engage the front hubs?

Anyone have an idea? I know from the past, you have to be rather specific regarding part or assembly descriptions.

Thank you
    I was afraid you would ask that. :blush:

Under Suzuki Vitara (2002) I found the category "Air Pump"
    but the description of the item that turned up was "VACUUM PUMP FOR 440". :confuse:

I was thinking you might search for front differential for your year and model and that would tell you if the yard had a vehicle. Then call and ask about the pump. They might not know the pump exists - I didn't, until I read it here. :)
    if your able to look at a part diagram i think what your looking for from what ive read it located on the front bumper. there is a pump/vacuum that activates the 4x4.
    Well, maybe the vacuum pump that turned up is the correct part.
  • whitetrackerwhitetracker Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys,This is my first GM product in 10 years.I took a few years off to try Fords.The automatic hubs on the Ranger,Bronco II and Explorers have given me a large fear of automatic hubs.I got chills when I saw them on my '98 tracker,but I bought it anyway.I was wondering if they are reliable or not and if not how hard are they to change to change manual or is it even possible???
  • mhall1mhall1 Member Posts: 7
    I'm trting to replace the belts on my 97 Tracker 4wd. I can't locate the stationary bolt (as opposed to the adjusting bolt) on the a/c. The adjusting bolt is right in front but I can't see the other bolt. Any help where it might be? Thanks, Mike
  • snicholsnichol Member Posts: 28
    Hi,
    I have a 2001 4 door tracker with the 2.0L Engine (127 hp), automatic transmission w/overdrive, 2 wheel drive. I have high milage on it, over 207,000 miles!
    It has been a Very Dependable vehicle, except for the AC compressor going out twice. (That's another question for later!)
    Monday, the timing chain broke all of a sudden when I stopped. It won't start at all.
    I have been told by a local mechanic that they are a bear to find parts for; the parts are very expensive and he is very reluctant to work on it.
    He said that the engine is gone, since the timing chain broke, it will have bent all the valves and ruined the engine. Is this true?
    Is it cheaper to replace the engine, or overhaul it, or Junk the car?
    With my milage this high, I would like to overhaul the engine and go another 200,000 miles! (or replace it with a rebuilt/Used Engine)
    I'm told it's too expensive to buy parts for and I can't seem to find an engine replacements locally, new or used.
    I would appreciate anyone's suggestions, recommendations on what course of action I should take? (I am happy with the Tracker and would like to continue driving it.)
    Any sources on engines, rebuilt, or otherwise?
    I am in the Houston, Texas area.
    Thanks,
    Sam Nicholson

SNichol
    On my 2001, the tensioner is on the front just under the top pulley. By putting a wrench on that tensioner bolt and a small pipe on the wrench for leverage, the tensioner can be pushed backed far enough that the belts can be removed/replaced.
    I discovered this by accident when trying to replace the main belt on my 2001.
    I don't know if it's the same, but try it.

I'm not so lucky, my timing chain just broke. (See my post)
    Thanks,
    SNichol
    it will have bent all the valves and ruined the engine. Is this true?

Probably, but not necessarily. Sometimes if the valves are hitting the pistons the starter will not turn the engine over. If the valves are bent allowing the engine to turn with the starter there might be some noise when the pistons hit giving you an indication. Of course, turning the engine over with the starter might do more damage - if that's possible. :cry:

I just posted this site a few messages back:

http://www.car-part.com/

When I searched for 2.0 L Suzuki engines several pages of engines came up ranging from $2,000 down to $900 - some with low mileage. :)
  • davedondavedon Member Posts: 2
    Hi Scotter,
    I am having the same problem with a 2002 Tracker. It acts up when the weather is cold, when things warm up the trouble clears like magic. I had it in to the dealer and they said they didn't believe it was cold weather related but they would put a new air pump on for $565 plus tax plus labour, plus, plus, plus!! I think there must be water someplace in the pump or valving. Can that pump be disassembled, dried, sealed and reinstalled if nothing else is broken? If not I think I'll avoid GM like the plague and check with the Suzuki dealer for a cheaper alternative and do the work myself.
    Thanks
    davedon
    You should have visited the Suzuki dealer first and bought the part and installed it yourself. First of all, GM will charge you $300+ more for the same part you can buy at Suzuki. I believe it's a fairly easy job...it's making sure you have the inlet/outlet hoses hooked up right to the pump.

I too have the same problem; when it gets cold, it won't engage in 4WD. I tried telling different mechanics about it...the answer I got was; "It has to sit on the level with the wheels headed straight in order for it to engage". That's a bunch of hogwash, I tried it every which way to Sunday and it wouldn't engage.
  • trakronrtrakronr Member Posts: 4
    *I'm sorry this is so long, but I figure more details is better than less. About 6 weeks ago my Tracker made a horrible racket. It sounded like the exhaust fell off and was dragging the ground, but it wasn't. I couldn't find anything wrong so I drove it home. About 4 weeks ago, the oil light started flickering on. Everyone told me that if the engine was rattling that I needed to replace the oil pump and if there was no noise to replace the sensor/sending unit first. I had an exhaust leak so I couldn't tell if the engine was making a noise. I had the exhaust replaced and could clearly hear engine noise. I ordered a pump from Chevy and we replaced it. To do this, you need to partially pull the motor. When my husband removed the front motor cover (over timing chain), parts started flying. It seemed the noise I had heard 6 weeks ago was the upper timing chain tensioner, one sprocket and the chain guide breaking apart. That appeared to be the only damage. We removed the loose parts and I continued to drive it until more parts could be ordered from chevy. We replaced those last weekend, but I still had a noise. My husband noticed on closer inspection that the idler sprocket was damaged. So, needless to say more parts ordered from chevy. We replaced the idler sprocket and the bushing behind it this weekend. And, I still have a noise. Generally, if you are idling the motor (sitting still or driving), the motor is quiet. However, if you have to accelerate or decelerate, there is a noise coming from under the hood and close as we can tell. If you pick up the speed just a little bit and get the tracker to shift up a gear, the noise goes away. If I set the cruise, the noise is gone. We've sunk $750 in dealer parts in this thing and we still have a noise. Also, I might mention that the oil light will still flicker, but it only does it when the rpm drop down really low. Anybody's help or suggestions would be most greatly appreciated. And, again, I'm sorry this was so long.
    The pump is sealed and it is highly unlikely that there is water in it. Although I think the Tracker is a well made vehicle, the air pump for the 4WD is the cheapest thing I have ever seen, but has been redesigned since '03 to be a bit more reliable. Anyway, the cold weather may or may not have an effect, but I had issues when it was cold the O rings got stiff and hard and wouldnt seal properly. Bottom line is you have to replace the pump.

I bought mine from a Suzuki dealer for about $200, and it takes about 10 minutes in the driveway to take out the old one and put in the new. Just make sure you label the two hoses "upper and lower" before you remove them from the old unit, as you can possibly damage the diaphram inside the front differential if you connect them backwards.

And as far as parts go, NEVER go to a GM dealer for parts, always go to the Suzuki dealer. Not that I have had to purchase alot of parts, but each time Suzuki is less the half of GM price.
    Do you recall the name of the part, or assembly? Might make it easier to look it up on the internet or speak with the Suzuki parts person.

Thanks...M
    Your engine is junk at this point. The noise you originally heard may indeed have been the timing chain sprocket, tentioner etc; but to keep driving for weeks is the issue. I think bits and pieces of metal worked their way through the engine, and destroyed it from the inside.

Honestly what amazes me is that after you heard a "horrible racket", you didnt see anything so you kept driving. And then when you found broken parts under the timing chain cover, you removed the broken parts, and kept driving. The engine needs to be replaced at this point, and the fact it runs at all is a surprise, but it is on its very last leg.

The only reason the timing chain and/or related parts would wear out or break is due to lack of oil. These engines dont have a good oil bypass system that forces oil into the timing chain area, rather it depends on drip and splash from other components. If you get a quart down the first thing that is oil starved is the timing chain and related parts. I check my oil often, and if it gets a half quart low, I add oil to prevent what happened to yours.

You can get a new crate engine form Suzuki for about $3200.00, but depending on the condition of the rest of the vehicle, a new engine is probably more then the Tracker is worth. Driving after hearing a horrible noise I think did you in, and then removing broken engine parts and continuing to drive, was the final nail as they say. You may be able to get an engine form a junk yard, but the risk there is that it may have as poorly maintained as yours was.
    I dont remember exactly what it was called, only that it was something that sounded way to technical for what it is. Just call the Suzuki parts desk, and tell them you want the pump- pressure switch- that engaes the front differential. It's mounted on the back side of the front bumper on the passenger side. It has connections for one electrical plug, and two air lines.

One air line runs to the front diff, and the other is the supply line, that runs up and connects to a metal "water trap" next to the radiator. This hairpin piece of tubing, prevents water from entering the supply line, and it mounted up high, above the front bumper, so it wont suck water in, if you happen to be in some water.
  • davedondavedon Member Posts: 2
    The part is called an 'air pump'.
    davedon
    Thanks for the input, but lack of oil was never an issue. Mine was faithfully changed and checked often. I had no oil leaks, so at the most I added less than 1/4 qt between changes. This is my 3rd tracker and have had nothing but good luck with all until now. 3/12/07 is the first day I really got to drive it since we changed the idler sprocket Saturday. Surprisingly enough the previous noise is almost gone. I deliberately ran it hard to see if the noise would get louder and it didn't. Not too smart I know, but I needed to find out. When I crank it up to 65mph and set cruise the motor runs just as smooth as the day we bought it 4+ yrs ago. We have come to the conclusion (after talking to several mechanics and/or friends) that the timing chain may be a little stretched or the lower tensioner may not be doing its job completely. For $400 more, I can replace the remaining parts. Luckily, some of these parts can come from somewhere other than Chevy this time. I'm ordering a chain and we'll go from there. I have been told by more than one person that my tracker shouldn't be running. But it is and honestly I have heard vehicles that sound far worse than mine. I'll post and let everyone know how it goes.
    Hi Trakronr,

Just a couple of points:

It is premature to assume that the engine is damaged because some metal got loose in the oil. The screen on the oil pickup should stop pieces from getting picked up by the oil pump and the oil filter should catch the rest.

You might be on the right track with the timing chain. Centrifugal force and load might be causing the chain to take up slack and fly out against the tensioner quieting it down at speed.

Seems like I read something about the timing chain tensioner not doing its job after a small oil port clogged and loosing pressure to a little piston that pushes it out against the chain. But, low oil pressure could also provide the same result.

Also, I'm always a little surprised when something that pumps oil can fail. It's the best lubricated part in the car yet most people point to it first. It's been my experience that when oil pressure is lost it's usually due to something else like main, rod and cam bearings or something blocking oil flow. On point I agree with is that low oil pressure starves the top of the engine first.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
    FYI,
    I have been buying timing parts for my 2000 2.0L 4wd tracker which has 134K miles. So far the majority has been special order from Chevy dealership. I ended up ordering the lower/lge timing chain from Auto Zone. I have invested around $400 just in the timing parts and have only replaced about half of them. I had a small sprocket lose a couple teeth, the upper chain guide broke in to, and the upper tensioner broke. It was part metal, part plastic. I have since ordered the idler sprocket and bushing, because the sprocket showed uneven teeth wear and one tooth was chipped. I go tomorrow to pick up the lower chain and tensioner. I hope that will take care of my problems. Good luck finding aftermarket parts in your area. And, I hope you haven't toasted your motor.
    Thanks,
    So far my mechanic can't find anything local!
    He says Chevrolet wants $3800 for a short block.
    There are no rebuilt available for this engine here in Houston. (Can you provide me with your sources of the parts other than Chevy & Auto Zone?)
    One company here in Houston will rebuild it for a little over $1850, but my mechanic doesn't trust them. He says if they re-bore the engine cylinder sleeves over .20, it will make the walls too thin and subject to blow out. (Anyone care to comment on this? (verify/discount it?)
    We are searching for a complete replacement engine to install and go.
    Anyone know where I can find a low milage engine right away? Cheap?
    Thanks,
    SNichol
    So far, I only can get parts from Chevy and Auto Zone. Any part store I called to me it was a dealer item. The chain was only $46.99 from AutoZone. You can get it online (I believe and get it delivered). A source for rebuilt motors is: www.marshallengines.com When I asked my chevy dealer about rebuilt motors, he told me everyone is using them. They have dealerships across the country. I don't know if any are close to you or not. I emailed them last night requesting a price quote, but haven't gotten an answer yet. It appears that they offer a 36 month, 100K mile warranty. I used a site someone else referred at www.car-part.com. I did find a motor within 50 miles of my home for $850. You might try them.

Good luck,

Pam
    why does it have to be a rebuilt motor? get a salvage yard motor. i used to have a 1981 dodge colt with a mistubshi engine. It was fried by a lack of oil. i got a salvage colt engine for $115 and it lasted over 100,000 additional miles! This time i made sure maintance was kept up. My opinion, you dont need a rebuilt engine for $2000. Hell i just traded my 1999 tracker 4x4 in and its total worth was $2000! See about a salvage engine. you could get a engine from a tracker that was hit in the rear or side and totalled. we know it doesnt take much to total these things. at least it gives you another road to look down.

chris
  • steven_ssteven_s Member Posts: 10
    Hi Guys, I just tried my a/c for the first time this year. It doesn't seem to be blowing cold air....maybe slightly cooler then fan air. A/c light comes on when you push the button and I believe the compressor is starting....I can feel the revs change a bit. Possible related issue...I had the vehicle krown rust proofed a month ago...I noticed an excessive amount of light oil in the engine compartment. I thought it was the rust proofing....now I wonder...could it be a/c related? Is there any oil in that system?

Anyhow...checked fuse under hood...25 amp, looks good...where do I start with this? Thanks.
    Funny you should post this...I had the same problem today. Although..I didn't have any rust proofing done.

It worked okay a few weeks ago, but all of a sudden...no air conditioning.

Any ideas...like leakage, pump gone bad, etc.?
    There's refrigerant oil in the AC system, so that could be what you saw in the engine compartment. Pf_flyer's AC got fixed today on his new Versa - a pinched O ring let all the refrigerant escape and he had no cooling.

Check out the Climate Control Problems (Air Conditioning, Heat) - All Cars discussion too.
    if you do a search on this subject you will find alot of older tracker 1999,2000 and im not sure what year this stopped, then they all lost their A/C and had to have a very expensive fix to get it up and running again. My 1999 tracker lost its a/c about 2 years ago and the fix was more than what the car was worth so i never fixed it. Now i have a 2004 tracker V-6 Zr-2.
    I have a 2002 2.0L Vitara that I bought used. About 2 years ago I was getting some refrigerant oil on my air vents and the air was not putting out good cold air. I put in a can of freon with stop leak and part of another can of straight freon before the air was fully charged. It still works fine after 2 years.
    Is the "freon" that you mention R134a? I noticed when I tried to put in a can of R134a, the seal around the intake hose didn't seal well.

I'm about 2 minutes from getting rid of the 2002 Chevy Tracker and getting something more reliable.
    Is the "freon" that you mention R134a?

Yes.
  • jessechuyjessechuy Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem with my 2000 tracker. It started two weeks ago. Have you been able to determine the problem? I found out that if I have someone try to start it and I open the throttle, it will start. I am gonna start by cleaning the mass air flow sensor and the throttle body. Then I am replacing the spark plugs. Seems like a hard problem to troubleshoot since it doesn't leave a code on the computer. I know that if I take it to a repair shop they will start replacing parts without really knowing what the root cause is. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    yeah you want to clean that throttle body! when i had my 1999 tracker 2.0, i had to clean the throttle body all the time or it would idle very rough at stop lights. On the 2.0 its very easy!
  • acarriganacarrigan Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a '03 4WD Auto Tracker to tow behind the motorhome. Looked all over for one...any Tracker seems to be hard to find in the west. Never even noticed these rigs, or their cousins, until I saw them being towed all over. Couldn't tow my FJ cause it was too heavy and thought I would really hate the Tracker. But what a surprise. No comparison, of course, but it is a very pleasant little vehicle to putt around in. Went through a lot of pages on this site and am glad to know its such a reliable vehicle and that any problems that might occur can probably be answered here by you avid fans of the rig. Anyway, the big 'ol FJ is quite happy to have a little companion next to it in the garage and they get along just fine. Thanks in advance for all the good information!
    Hi, SNichol here with an update...
    My mechanic found a USED 2001 engine in Beaumont, Texas with low mileage on it. (They couldn't say what actual miles are. We took a chance...)

My mechanic installed the engine in two days. (That amazed me!) They sent the radiator out and had it cleaned/flushed, replaced the tensioner pulley on the belt drive(it was making a noise and dragging). Engine, labor, and other parts/fluids came to a total of $2350.00
    I picked it up Tuesday (April 17) and have drove it to work every day. It purrs like a kitten, has the New Engine smell and so far haven't had any problems! (Knock on wood!)

For the guy with the noisy timing chain/100,000 miles... Change it out! It's cheaper and easier than finding another engine!!!

Another word of caution... Don't tow the car with the rear wheels on the ground if it's an automatic!

I did, but so far I seem to be lucky.
    The owner's manual says don't do it! Without the engine running, the transmission gets no oil circulating and can burn it up.
    (The fellow talking about towing it behind his RV, better tow it backwards on a two wheel dolly with the rear wheels up.)

On the Tracker with the different year engine installed (a 1999 into a 2000), it may be a problem with the computer (a mis match)or different sensors, etc.
    I was told to only use the same year engine that came in my tracker, or there might be problems. They didn't say what problems...
    ... anyway I followed their advise and mine runs good without and glitches so far.

I still have an AC problem... Anyone know where to get a cheaper compressor, or knows of a substitute from another manufacturer??? The last time I paid Chevy around $800 and it's gone out again! (Heard that the bearings don't hold up under the tension put on by tensioner on the belt drive.??? ... a bad tensioner pulley on mine may have had something to do with it???)

I have 208,000 miles on this 2001 Tracker and now it's still a ticking ... :>)
    I will drive it until the wheels fall off!

I still love it!
    Have a good day!
    Sam Nicholson (snichol)
  • erscoloerscolo Member Posts: 11
    Many thanks for the relayed advice on the engine and towing. Mine is a 2004 with 44,000 miles, so no need for an engine yet, though I'd be very happy to have mine last 208,000 miles. It is a good car to drive, and I manage to maintain 25 mpg or better.

Roger.