Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The FR-S will be affordable, the Supra was not. They will be in very, very different price classes.

Even way back in the late 1990s it was mid 30s to 40 grand plus.

11 years later an STI is still cheaper, and the STI is several price clases above the WRX, which is a price class above where the FR-S should end up.

That's like comparing apples to diamond-encrusted, gold-plated apples.

With inflation accounted for the new Toyota will cost less than half as much as the Supra did.

I realize the price on used Supras is absurd but that's because they sold an absurdly low amount of new ones, so they're rare. Even more rare is a clean surviving example, hence the crazy prices.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited September 2010
    maybe it's just me but I think that Toyota has just made the car that will bring in people like myself, who really have despised them for years, but because of what they've been building. Not what they're capable of building. Because I have seen the old Celica Supra's.

Like I said, I want FR-S t-shirts, keychains and a cool metallic model of this car to set on top of my computer desk. Pardon me while I go spit up my Kentucky Fried Chicken because of my growing excitement for this car. :blush:

I still love you...really I do!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    I was referring to the 19" wheels...having just bought a set of 18" tires for my car, I can still feel the pain. They'll have to knock it down to 18" at the most, maybe bigger as a special option.

I don't see Scion as being any sportier than Toyota...maybe the brand won't matter. Apparently it's a Subaru anyway. I'm not concerned with that, I think it'll be fine.

If it costs closer to 30K, it might be a tougher sell in this economy.
    I don't know if I could drive one of those Mazdas, just for the face.

Toyota is trying to look intimidating...but I don't know if anyone will fall for it.
    edited September 2010
    Toyota is trying to look intimidating...but I don't know if anyone will fall for it.

Oh, I don't know, I've already fallen for it! I must like intimidating with sporty cars.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in blue

The '08 Lancer GTS has Mitsu's "jet-fighter" inspired nose to it. If that's indeed intimidating to you. Kind of cool looking to me.

2012 Toyota FR-S nose

Sweet.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,299
    edited September 2010
    Nice Blackbird. Too bad that blue car is in the way.
    I think was was Lockheed, not Boeing. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Yeah, the glaring lights of the Lancer amuse me too...maybe as they try to intimidate, but I don't fall for it. I prefer the look of that old W124 in the background (in the bland off white hue)
    edited September 2010
    what you like, fintail, been there, done that many, many times. To each his own, eh?

I am just thrilled that Toyota is choosing to build this car. Apparently one of the reasons Mr.Toyoda is choosing to build this car (as a coupe and as a 4-dr.sedan) is because he loves to race cars himself. True story!

I don't know if I'll be getting one of these in just over a year from now but if forced to make a solid guess at it I would say there's about a 90% chance that I will. Mrs iluvmysephia1 will need to be splained all the positive reasons for trading in, why iluv needs this particular car, etc. One large reason, besides the fact that the car is absolutely gorgeous, is that there is a dealer, Dale White Motors, that sells Toyota's right in little 'ole Elko, NV. That is rather huge, and the dealer is only 1/2 mile from my work at NNRHospital. Very cool.

It will happen, it has hit the obsession stage. Last time this happened it was with the 2010 Suzuki Kizashi, though, and that one faded away quite a bit, so who knows. This one is different because it is just lining up to be so practical for us, great body design and affordable, convenient because a dealer is in our hometown, etc.

Buy me in a year, coat me with expensive waxes and wash me often

And this blurb was posted on motortrend.com...

"The fact that none of these vehicles is still being produced," (Toyota president Akio) Toyoda said of the RWD MR2, Celica, and AE86 Corolla coupe, "makes me, a serious car fan, really sad". The concept's name is a reference to the AE86. However, Tada said the production car may be called Celica."

This comment was posted by nippononly back in Jan. of 2010 on the Edmunds.com FT-86 thread. So it goes a ways back, and, Toyota has registered the name more recently in NA of FR-S. But I really see this car being called Celica here in the U.S. and Canada. It really has the look of a Celica to me, and I like that name, so...so be it. :)

edited September 2010
    steering wheel and dash. Guys, I am beginning to think that this is indeed the way the FR-S' interior steering wheel and dashboard layout will look like in production. I mean, in the stream of time, and going by the article with the Chief Designer, he was saying that, if anything, the zippers may go. Not what we see in this look. I say bring it on.

I mean, I'm not in there helping to design this car, but, they're basically done. So I am acquainting myself with my future car's interior. I love this steering wheel. Awesome steering wheel, Mr. Toyoda.

It almost takes on an Audi TT-ish look in this view from the back

• xluxlu Member Posts: 457
    On the fight today I watched the CNN interview of Donald Trump. Trump gave very sharp opinions on quite a few major topics. On China trade, he said China is eating our lunch with unbalanced trade, we are paying China (by buying their products) to rise up to be our competitor. We should charge 25% tariff on all Chinese made goods to balance the trade. This apply to the Japanese trade also.

Here's the link: Trump on trade
    edited September 2010
    the obvious choice would be by going back to rowing through the gears, and this is what the gearshift will look like on the 2012 Toyota FR-S. Note the red autostart-stop button in the background.

Guys, it should be said, in light of all of Toyota's recent troubles, that by buying a 2012 Toyota Celica...I...I mean FR-S with the base 6-speed manual tranny, I will be bypassing all of the worries that were encountered with automatic Toyota's regarding SUA, too. Another positive. Manual trannies will not be affected. I mean, how hard is it gonna be for me ta just pop in the clutch and put the gearshift in neutral, and brake and pull over to a stop on the side of the road?

Answer: not very.

edited September 2010

Here's our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in the backlot of our Elko, NV, rental home. Took this picture with my BlackBerry Curve. I had just given her a bath. It was pure joy to clean her up as I have needed to do this for about 3 months. Moving is a pain in the rump, ya know?

Time to stay put for a while! I snapped this because our Lancer GTS gets Auto Butler wax jobs every 6 months at our Phoenix dealer. This Sept. would've been our 7th one since buying the car. Avondale Mitsubishi didn't send a card for this September's cleaning, so we must be out of them. They have really helped to keep the car cleaner and to fight off a lot of the grime and even paint chipping some '08+ Lancer owners have reported.

Part of preparing for a new car purchase is looking at what you've got now and taking an honest inventory of your stock.

I was referring to the 19" wheels

Yeah, I seriously doubt the production model will get those. Probably 17". Subaru doesn't use crazy-big rims in production - the WRX gets 17"s and the STI gets 18"s. No way, no how would the "affordable" sports coupe, two big steps down the price scale, will get bigger rims than the STI.

Come to think of it, Toyota doesn't employ large rims either, only the Venza has huge rims and they are optional.
    Last time this happened it was with the 2010 Suzuki Kizashi, though, and that one faded away quite a bit

FWIW your instincts were good - I read that the Kizashi was the most satisfying car in one of those surveys. Not in its class, mind you, the #1 car, period.

I think it is perhaps the most underappreciated car on the market. Suzuki sales have tanked. The Kizashi replaced cheaper models and Suzuki just wasn't able to convince people to pay more (compared to prior Suzukis) for what is essentially a much better car.

Oh well. So much for products selling on merit.
    Hey, iluv, you sure you don't like the Subaru design?

If you get this credit card, you earn 3% in Subaru Bucks (capped at $500/year), and can use it to purchase any new or CPO model. It's like cash at any dealer. Ford and GM had similar programs, though I'm not sure if they're still active.

Even better, you can pay for service with them. Accessories, even. You can even buy T-shirts.

So even if you buy the Toyota model, you could maybe service it at a Subaru dealer, and get that service for free.

Over the years I've spent a small fortune worth. Spent $400 at a body shop, then insurance reimbursed me, and I kept the $400 cash. We got $1600 off our 2009 Forester, too, so I got a Limited for the cost of a Premium model.

I have another $1000 accumulated, so I could get a trailer hitch and bike rack, or maybe pay for the 30k and 60k services, all free.

The cool part is you do NOT have to buy a new car. You can even get new tires at your dealer with them.

More info:

https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-Cards/subaru.htm

I'm so used to getting everything for free that I'm spoiled. I searched for a similar program from Toyota, and they have one, but it's not nearly as good. You only get 1% back in their points system, IIRC. You do get 5% back from purchases at Toyota dealers, so consider that a small discount for service and accessories if you get those at a dealer anyway.

Not nearly as good, so we passed. But, if you're interested:

http://www.toyota.com/toyotarewardsvisa/

For our 2nd car we got a Shell gas card instead, because it offered 5% on all gas purchases, and we spend a lot more on gas than we do at Toyota dealers. That card also offers 1% off everything else.

Any how, you seem so excited about this new car, I thought I'd share.

Anyone know if Ford's and GM's programs are still active? I think VW has one too, but don't quote me on that. Subaru's is the best IMHO because all purchases qualify and it's easy-peasy to spend the rewards points.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/23/toyota-leads-the-way-in-2010-motorist-choice-- awards/

If you thought consumer sentiment for Toyota and Lexus might be wavering [most here certainly did!], think again.
    edited September 2010
    Any how, you seem so excited about this new car, I thought I'd share.

Thanks for that information. I will probably look in to it. I am really excited about this new FR-S from Toyota due out in Nov. '11. I am also really glad that there is a Toyota dealer, Dale White Motors, in Elko, NV, here. I will get light service done there and consider things like brake jobs get done by local shops, there's a Les Schwab here and a Bridgestone tire place. Just great to have a dealer in town.

I will continue to research this car and once I find a good reason not to buy one I'll let you all know. I am pretty keen for what ta look for and so far this car is passing all of my tests with absolute flying colors.

Love this "monkey's back-side red" color

No Subaru dealer near you?

I realize how spread out things are, so it wouldn't surprise me if they'd be 50 miles away.
    Canyon Subaru is only 119 miles north of me in Twin Falls, ID. Not too bad. I'll research some more.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >because it offered 5% on all gas purchases, and we spend a lot more on gas than we do at Toyota dealers. That card also offers 1% off everything else.

You might check on that 1%. I think it got dropped to 1/2 % if it's the same card that I have... :sick:

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Ouch, 119 miles hurts a bit. That would be nearly 240 miles round trip.

Good thing it should get 30+ mpg. ;)
    Really? :cry:

That's OK, we got a 3rd card, for Best Western hotels, which gives about 1% once you figure out their point system.

I'll keep the Shell card primarily for gas purchases.

I wonder how long before Subaru cuts their program. :sick:
    edited September 2010
    which is also my favorite quote yet in support of this car's business case and overall appeal.

A six-speed manual transmission is mounted directly behind the engine, but the motor itself is low and well aft -- further back than in existing Subarus -- so weight distribution will be helpful to the dynamics. When asked about the actual balance, chief engineer Tetsuya Tada replied: “Many people think it should be 50:50, but we did lots of tests and that isn’t the best for drifting. That’s why the gearbox is at the front not the rear. Drifting and sliding the tail is the most important thing, and this car will be the best in the world for that.”

He added, “We have built lots of prototypes and taken them to the Nurburgring, but this isn’t just a car for the track. The steering will react instantly, and you’ll feel it not just on the track but on every junction on the way to the supermarket."

That's me there-on the way ta the supermarket in Elko-drifting and a slidin' away! Whoo-hoo! Looks to be a really extraordinarily fun car to drive and beautiful to look at all at the same time. It's gonna be really interesting now that I know the inside and outside of this car from internet looks at it how much Toyota designers will change it for production. They've promised to keep it much like it is now, and that ought to excite large oceanliners of sports car enthusiasts from around the world to this coupe/sedan.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2009/112_0910_toyota_ft_86_could_ge- - - - - - - - - - t_celica_name/index.html#ixzz10TyBsaNE

To say I'm not interested in the 2012 Toyota FR-S would be like saying I think the Pittsurgh Stealers have a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl title this year. Twould be an absolute lie, people. :D

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I don't think most of these specialized credit cards are worth it. The worst are the airline mileage ones that charge you $60/year or so. Then for 25K miles you can get a ticket worth $300-350 on average, but of course at that mileage level you need tons of lead time and often an oddball flight time or connection. Want something more reasonable, that will be 50K miles please! (and you still get fee'd to death on top of that "free" ticket). As for hotels, you can actually get a decent deal just joining the frequent stayer club without the credit card. I prefer a simple no fee, strictly cash reward type card that gives me around 1% of all purchases with no annual limits, no varying amounts depending on what you buy, etc. Another thing you need to be careful of is that the more credit cards you have the greater exposure the credit rating firms feel you're potentially liable for and therefore a lower credit rating. Besides interest rates, credit ratings can affect your car insurance rate and are even looked at by potential employers.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I agree on CCs. I had an Alaska Airlines card for a few years. It was $75 annual. You would get a free companion ticket and miles. Only was able to take advantage one time. I use my Shell only at Shell to get the 5%.. I use my Costco AMEX for 3% on gas, 2% at restaurants and 1% on everything elso. No annual fee. I have several others I use just for special accounts, like Amazon.com.
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Check out Pentagon Federal Credit Union's Cash Back Platinum Visa, which pays 5% on gasoline purchases (no matter what the brand), 2% on groceries & 1% on everything else.

If you're not ex-military or a DoD civilian employee, you can qualify by paying a one-time $20 fee to join the National Military Family Organization. After that, there are no annual fees.

We run most of our purchases through this card, a Costco Amex & an Amazon.com Visa.
  • windjammerwindjammer Member Posts: 25
    What ever happened to the topic "Toyota on the mend for 2010 ?

So is the new title now going to be called "Credit card for dummies 101 "?
    > Another thing you need to be careful of is that the more credit cards you have the greater exposure the credit rating firms feel you're potentially liable for and therefore a lower credit rating.

Clark Howard recommends against the airline miles cards.

He also says the more cards you have, the lower the percentage of your available credit you are using for many people who only float a couple of thousand in billing during the month or carry low balances. Canceling a card increases the percentage of available credit you are using. Careful addition of cards could be advantageous to your credit rating.

Years back I canceled my longest standing credit card because they changed the terms. That was opposite the usual advice: The longer you've had a card the better it reflects on your credit worthiness.

Even toyota owners use credit cards in 2010.

Toyota must be mended :blush:

It got sidetracked with Toyota depending on Subaru to pull them out of their boring cars. You know one thing leads to another.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Anyone know if Ford's and GM's programs are still active?

I still have the original GM card, I get 5% back. Since the original they have new conditions on the card that aren't as good. I can only spend the cash on new vehicles. I've used mine twice over the years and have saved $1700 and $2200. The nice feature is you negotiate your best deal then tell them you have the card and get the extra cash off the bottom line price.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Even Mr small "t" mended to a Capital "T" and is in love now. Wonders never cease here.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm shopping for a new card so I let it slide. :blush:

Not much Toyota news unless you want to read about "pricing adjustments" - aka price increases (gotta pay the lawyers you know). (Edmunds Daily)
    >so I let it slide.

We can always hope for yet another Runaway Acceleration Event that toyota can't explain away... grin.

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    It got sidetracked with Toyota depending on Subaru to pull them out of their boring cars.

Don't know which is worse a cc hijacking or one done by a Toyosub. Both are rather distasteful. :P
    was just introduced, but compare that to the same thing for the Edge, and you can see why nobody noticed.
    What is an MCR Highlander?
    Mid Cycle Refresh. At least you asked. Everyone else was too afraid. That is what separates you from the average poster here. :)
    I looked on their site and it did not answer the question. What I did find is they want $40k for a limited V6 with only a 5 speed auto. And you are forced to buy their substandard DVD based NAV. So that would kill a Highlander for me. I could live with a vehicle that small if it got 30 MPG on the highway which it does not. In fact on the EPA mileage site the new Highlander gets about 1 MPG better than my 2007 Sequoia. Not much improvement there. The 2011 V6 Highlander is only rated 22 MPG highway. One MPG less than last years model. I don't call that getting better.

Thanks for letting us know what the acronym meant.

The Edge would be way higher on my list of possibles. And they have the TOP rated NAV in the industry. Plus a 6 speed auto.
    I look at it this way. Have you ever seen a Toyota Police Cruiser, Toyota Ambulance, Toyota Tow Truck?
    When it comes times to do the dirty work, do you see a Toyota?
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    edited September 2010
    If you pay your bills on time, you will have a high "FICO". It's doesn't matter if you decide to cancel a credit card or two. Yes, it will have a small effect, a very small affect.

I have a 800 plus FICO and have canceled plenty of credit cards in my day. I think maybe before I canceled them, it was 820.

It's no big deal.

I just love theses financial guys on the radio. It's easy to pontificate and tell others what to do. There is another financial guy on the radio that doesn't believe in financing ANYTHING. If you can't pay cash you can't afford it (according to him). I have used the "power of leverage" to create an impressive real estate portfolio. The properties are all paid for now. I am glad I didn't listen to him!
    >If you pay your bills on time, you will have a high "FICO". It's doesn't matter if you decide to cancel a credit card or two. Yes, it will have a small effect, a very small affect. I just love theses financial guys on the radio.

You should call Clark Howard on his radio or his TV program and set him straight. :P

• jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Have you ever seen a Toyota Police Cruiser...

Police departments have traditionally favored large RWD sedans for this work. The only Toyota sedan big enough to make the cut is the Avalon, & that's FWD.

Anyway, I doubt if Toyota is interested in this market. This isn't a terribly profitable line of business. Back in the 60s, one of my father's friends, who owned a big Oldsmobile dealership in central Jersey, won a contract to supply the NJ State Police with Delta 88 cruisers. He later told my Dad that he didn't make enough enough money on the deal to justify all of the paperwork & state audits. The next time that the state asked him to bid on a contract, he politely refused.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Actually I've seen the Toyota Crown used extensively by yakuza. Does that qualify?
    edited September 2010
    You got it

Blood on the rocks, blood on the streets...if you want blood...you got it. Listening to AC/DC tonight on YouTube convinced me that their 'Highway to Hell' album is very much a rockin' album. Might have ta buy it to play in my new toy. 13 months from now.

Oh well. Hey, this 2012 Toyota Celica...I...I mean Toyota FT-86...I mean FR-S has completely erased my desire for an all-electric car. Doesn't matter any more to me to be all-electric.

Rock on. It's a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll. Too bad Bon Scott had to drink too much that one night and freeze to death in his car...and choke on his own vomit, huh? :sick: A respiratory therapist might have been able to save him but in order to save someone they need to call out for help. He froze to death...and choked on his own vomit. A double whammy of sorts. I believe this was in 1980 sometime. Before Mt.St.Helens blew her top off and Harry Truman refused ta leave his raggy-taggy shack.

2012 Toyota FR-S...or Celica...or FT-86

Pick yer own name for this beauty. I am calling it my 2012 Toyota Celica in monkey-back red.

edited September 2010

But I would need the instructions for ordering to be in English, not Japanese!

http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/KID00001.aspx

I knew there were others out there like me. Sorry, no instructions in English on that metallic car website. :sick:

Just for fun I put one in my cart to see if then it would translate in to English. The metal toy car costs $82 in US funds! No thanks, dudes. But I still want the real FT-86.

Here is a pic of the actual 2012 Toyota FT-86 metallic model

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,093
    Have you ever seen a Toyota Police Cruiser...

Police departments have traditionally favored large RWD sedans for this work. The only Toyota sedan big enough to make the cut is the Avalon, & that's FWD.

I don't know, I've sure seen a lot of FWD Impala police cars over the past decade.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    There are Camry taxis in my area, and they are not uncommon in Europe, and Toyota must be the dominant Taxi brand in Asia. Japan might have some kind of Toyota police car.
    Heck, the little town where my mom lives once had Taurus police cruisers...I bet that worked out well.